Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

IT WAS A TWO HOUR VERY SPECIAL EVENT MINDTHINKR!!! >:O

I MEAN A BABY WAS BORN! WHAT DO YOU NEED? PARATROOPS KILLING DINOSAURS???  >:O

(it was kinda dull and drawn out, not shocked it went past you, it didn't need to be two hours)

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

IT WAS A TWO HOUR VERY SPECIAL EVENT MINDTHINKR!!! >:O

I MEAN A BABY WAS BORN! WHAT DO YOU NEED? PARATROOPS KILLING DINOSAURS???  >:O

(it was kinda dull and drawn out, not shocked it went past you, it didn't need to be two hours)

You wouldn't believe how hard I'm laughing at your comment! Bwahaha 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did they just stop this show suddenly? I don't feel as though it had a seasonal ending. Hmm...

I asked the same thing on one of these boards and I think someone said Amy's social media said it's coming back in September. Seems like a very short break, but hey, I'm all for more episodes to judge! Especially with the birth of Daisy Chain Roloff happening in the near future. 

1 hour ago, Shmoopaloop said:

I asked the same thing on one of these boards and I think someone said Amy's social media said it's coming back in September. Seems like a very short break, but hey, I'm all for more episodes to judge! Especially with the birth of Daisy Chain Roloff happening in the near future. 

Daisy Chain Roloff? Is Daisy the name they intend to give their little girl?The short break is probably due to the fact that Jer and Aud want equal time (attention) filming during the birth of their baby. 

On 7/26/2017 at 11:34 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Daisy Chain Roloff? Is Daisy the name they intend to give their little girl?The short break is probably due to the fact that Jer and Aud want equal time (attention) filming during the birth of their baby. 

I think we've all decided that after that whole daisy photo shoot and little spiel she gave about being called daisy braids or something by Jeremy, that they are indeed naming her Daisy. Maybe they'll surprise us and name her something else, but it doesn't look that way. Not a terrible name, imo, but not my favorite either. 

• Love 1
On 7/26/2017 at 11:34 AM, Mindthinkr said:

It was just a running joke that daisy would be considered because someone's nickname was daisy braids (I think auj) and I said it would be funny if they called the baby"daisy chains" thinking it was like a flower crown or something... and not realize what it actuall means.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, leighroda said:

It was just a running joke that daisy would be considered because someone's nickname was daisy braids (I think auj) and I said it would be funny if they called the baby"daisy chains" thinking it was like a flower crown or something... and not realize what it actuall means.

Naive little old lady had to google that.  Well, alrighty then.  LOL.

• Love 6

Obviously they won't give her the middle name of "chain" and I meant it in the actual floral chain sense. But yes, it does have a dirty meaning, as well. People on Instagram were suggesting that the baby was going to be named Daisy, too. I think they're all correct. 

• Love 1

Was this filmed, does anyone know?  That was a very nice picture of all the kids together. I like that Molly has kept her life more private, & would respect her not wanting to have her wedding filmed as part of the show.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I wonder that too. The articles I read didn't say. Has her husband ever been on the show? I haven't seen all the episodes. 

I think the only picture I saw of him was posted here on this thread. I don't recall seeing him in an episode (could be wrong). I think she's tried to leave her reality show days behind her and move on with education, not a career and a normal life without public scrutiny. 

4 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

To be fair, a lot of fans publically suggest Chris is a scheming prick, who only dates Amy for fame and fortune.

Ah, got it. Well that hashtag should put any fears right to bed! 

• Love 8

Before I form an opinion of whether or not Chris is a #good guy#, I need to make up my mind if Amy is actually a nice woman.... This family did a reality show to prove that little people are just regular folks, but, conversely it turned into a bit of a freak show - absolutely nothing to do with being little people but, just a very strange narcissistic family. What kind of dude would even consider getting involved with this strange, public family? 

• Love 2

I personally don't much care whether Chris is a good guy or a raging psychotic with a secret field of bodies that he adds to on a regular basis.  I don't think the show or Amy's social media really gives much to say yay or nay to. What little we have seen of him, to me? He seems like a nice enough guy.

i will be controversial and say l find it a dismal sign that a lot of people think Chris as a reasonably successful and good looking fellow must have something dreadfully wrong with him since he isn't married. I also find it dismal and really an indicator of how these sorts of shows don't change our opinions that so many people find it impossible to believe Chris just might actually find Amy attractive. Now, I certainly can't rule out an ulterior motive, but since they've been dating for a year or so... and Amy hasn't got him moving in, he hadn't quit his job to mooch off her, he hasn't talked her into some investment, and hasn't tried to turn her against her kids or force his way in, all while going on off camera dates with her where I assume they're relatively affectionate.... what exactly is Chris's pay off?

Amy is rich but not that rich, and she's rather public so any scam is pretty much doomed and Amy is pretty constantly told her boyfriend is likely to be a sleaze. If Chris is pulling a scam, there's precious little opportunity to get away with it.

And I gotta be honest, I doubt he'd stick around so long if this was just a kinky sex thing.

And you know what else? Amy's not that awful or gross or terrible in personality that she could never ever ever attract an average height man... and the show has really failed in its purpose if we can't allow that possibility.

It also makes me sad that through all this, sure enough, no one ever questions the motivation of a woman that dates Matt Roloff. I mean really, what are Caryn's motives? Why does no one ever question why a sane, relatively attractive average height woman is attaching herself to Matt, who is physically pretty fucked up? I mean, let's be clear, she's dating him, so why isn't she a creepy kinky whore who has a sick sexual fetish? And when she's sucking his cock, why exactly are her motives pure? I mean, she manages the farm and yet apparently she's pure as snow, unlike dirty Chris, and can't possibly be working some scam?

Oh I know why.... Matt has a penis so no woman is gonna scam him! And Amy has a silly vagina so not only is she too ugly to attract a real man, she's too dumb to not get scammed by a man!

Honestly, society saddens me at times.

• Love 15

I always figured people questioned Chris' motives as opposed to Karen's because  I figured it was a given she was with Matt for the money/show...not because he's a little person but because he's an asshole.  I don't really find Amy attractive but Christ isn't any prize either.  Both are average to me.  I didn't really question Chris  in regards to scamming, but because, at least to me, he and Amy seemingly had no chemistry.  I have more of a spark with the guy who bags my groceries...I'm not saying they need to hump on screen....nobody needs that...but they seem like just friends.  Maybe they are just private.  Btw I think Amy can be a jerk too, but glad if she's found somebody decent to be with.

Eta: Some of the more rabid Roloff fans are always going to blame Amy for the divorce and therefore think she's  undesirable.  FWIW I think she and Matt are both equally a couple of bums and wouldn't want to be  married to either of them.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 3

There is just something about Chris that makes me uncomfortable.  It's not his marital status or that he is with a reality show star or little person.  He just doesn't seem like a warm, supportive person.  Probably a big part of it was the way he mentioned Amy's anger as being something he found off-putting.  It just felt like a guy who doesn't really want to deal with anything negative or hard from a woman he is involved with. That coupled with Amy's schoolgirlish adoration and lack of experience in relationships doesn't bode well to me.  

I could be wrong - I mean, we don't know what exactly Chris was referring to, and if it was something small that Amy overreacted to or if she was making a habit of ragging on and on about Matt or something, then I can understand his concern.  But there is just something about the squinty eyed expression on his face that made me feel like he was trying to send her a message about not making any of her problems his problem.  It suggests to me that he is a little bit too much about himself.

I realize there is a lot of editing going on.  There could be scenes of Chris being a great guy that we just don't see.  But I can only go by what makes it on the air.  I actually wish they would show Chris being supportive and encouraging and fun.  I would like to see Amy happy with someone else after what she went through with Matt. I would enjoy rooting for them ... if TLC would give me a reason.  But I haven't got one yet.  That's not to say I am rooting against them the way I do Matt and Caryn.  I am just not ready to start the whole "shipping" them thing just yet.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

There is just something about Chris that makes me uncomfortable.  It's not his marital status or that he is with a reality show star or little person.  He just doesn't seem like a warm, supportive person.  Probably a big part of it was the way he mentioned Amy's anger as being something he found off-putting.  It just felt like a guy who doesn't really want to deal with anything negative or hard from a woman he is involved with. That coupled with Amy's schoolgirlish adoration and lack of experience in relationships doesn't bode well to me.  

I could be wrong - I mean, we don't know what exactly Chris was referring to, and if it was something small that Amy overreacted to or if she was making a habit of ragging on and on about Matt or something, then I can understand his concern.  But there is just something about the squinty eyed expression on his face that made me feel like he was trying to send her a message about not making any of her problems his problem.  It suggests to me that he is a little bit too much about himself.

I realize there is a lot of editing going on.  There could be scenes of Chris being a great guy that we just don't see.  But I can only go by what makes it on the air.  I actually wish they would show Chris being supportive and encouraging and fun.  I would like to see Amy happy with someone else after what she went through with Matt. I would enjoy rooting for them ... if TLC would give me a reason.  But I haven't got one yet.  That's not to say I am rooting against them the way I do Matt and Caryn.  I am just not ready to start the whole "shipping" them thing just yet.

The episode where this conversation happened just aired here in Australia and I was really taken back by his observation....it sounded like he was parroting something he had heard someone else say about her....it really came across as quite random....and her shock and immediate attempts to recall when he could have witnessed it were quite telling and yes, Amy's weirdly immature behaviour with him is borderline concerning.  

I also think the way her grown children are reacting to this new phase in her life is appalling.  Try being supportive of a woman who gave you so much when you were growing up.  Would it really kill them to be supportive and encouraging rather than judgmental and selfish as their mother tries to redefine herself after coming out of a marriage where she clearly didn't feel supported or encouraged???  Jeremy and Zach should hang their heads....(I reserve judgment on Molly and Jacob as they are not onscreen)

• Love 4

Chris is in his fifties, doesn't have baggage i.e. kids, alimony, etc. He doesn't need to settle for someone with anger issues. I have broken things off with guys for being jealous, rude to waiters, having excessive debt, nightmare exes/kids and held out for a stellar man. That is what dating is all about. Finding out who a person actually is not having three dates and changing your FB status. 

• Love 5

I don't think anybody needs to settle for someone with anger issues, regardless of what baggage they may or may not come with.  

That being said, I must say that I have never seen anything that I would describe as an "anger issue" with Amy in all the years I've watched the show.  I've seen her frustrated, fed up, overworked and overwhelmed, but nothing amounting to an inability to control her temper. 

I think it should be noted that Chris didn't accuse Amy of having "anger issues."  He just said that he had seen "a flash of anger" which, to me, doesn't sound like anger issues.  It just sounded like he had merely witnessed an expression of perfectly normal emotion, yet he seemed to suggest it was something that concerned him and that he didn't want to have to deal with.  Amy didn't even know what he was talking about, so it doesn't seem like there had been some big incident or something.  Whatever "flash of anger" she had shown was news to her. 

The whole exchange left me with the impression that Chris may be one of those guys who only wants a smiling, cheerful, always-in-a-good-mood and never has any problems that take away from him being the center of attention - kind of gal. The kind of man who doesn't want to hear about your problems or deal with your emotions if you are having trouble. That kind of guy is not a "stellar man" or a "catch" in my opinion, even if he comes without kids, a nasty ex, or is debt-free.

... but I wonder if Amy has enough experience in relationships to know this.  

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 9

Of course all I've seen & heard of Chris is from the show. That said, Amy does have baggage. She had a long term marriage but it was less than healthy. She didn't spend any real time by herself after divorcing to work that out. IMO someone like that is at risk of recreating history for themselves.

I suppose I just don't read a lot into Chris's remark about the flash of anger because honestly, I assumed he saw a few episodes of the show since he doesn't appear to be a moron. I didn't read a lot into it because I have to be honest, I thought it was a weird, forced for the cameras conversation. I didn't find it concerning because I thought it was reasonable, she asked him what he doesn't like, and he doesn't like a lot of anger. 

Celia - I actually totally agree with you that Chris is an easy going guy who isn't looking for a lot of hassles, or to be someone's emotional raft to cling to... I just don't think he's been projecting anything but that. He's been pushing back on commitment, he's not talking about moving in or marriage. I think Chris likes Amy, and doesn't mind the cameras and the disapproving family... but honestly, I really don't think he's projecting anything but "I like you, this is fun, we're having a good time".

I don't think Amy is seeing that... but I don't think Chris is deceiving her.

• Love 7
On 8/25/2017 at 3:44 PM, ZoloftBlob said:

It also makes me sad that through all this, sure enough, no one ever questions the motivation of a woman that dates Matt Roloff. I mean really, what are Caryn's motives? Why does no one ever question why a sane, relatively attractive average height woman is attaching herself to Matt, who is physically pretty fucked up? I mean, let's be clear, she's dating him, so why isn't she a creepy kinky whore who has a sick sexual fetish? And when she's sucking his cock, why exactly are her motives pure? I mean, she manages the farm and yet apparently she's pure as snow, unlike dirty Chris, and can't possibly be working some scam?

Oh I know why.... Matt has a penis so no woman is gonna scam him! And Amy has a silly vagina so not only is she too ugly to attract a real man, she's too dumb to not get scammed by a man!

Honestly, society saddens me at times.

Love this post so much. Everything you said in your post is something I find myself thinking as well. Particularly the above.  Sad society indeed.

• Love 2

Question - esp. to those who have followed this show from the beginning.

I caught a rerun of the episode where they went to Hawaii, shortly after announcing and filing for divorce. Zach and Jeremy were newly married, Jeremy living in Bend, Jacob moved away and the daughter was still in college. I don't think the last two were on the trip. Matt threw out the idea they might sell the farm. The conversation turned, that maybe the kids would want to live there some day and how sad it would be to sell the farm.

Here's my question - How much in the past were the Roloff kids involved in actually running (the business side) the farm, growing up? It seems to me like they treat the place as a big playground and help out on projects that Matt comes up with.

I was making the comparison to the Drummond kids from Rhee' Drummond's food network cooking show - Pioneer woman. Even though the show is about cooking all though-out the years there are little tidbits of the 4 kids being exposed to running and working on a cattle ranch, under the tutelage of the dad, uncle, grandfather and other workers. Yes, the oldest in in college now. However, I feel confident if/when the time comes for dad to step aside, they (any one of tjhe 4) know how to keep the ranch going. It's been in their family for few generations already.

• Love 1

The kids have had very little to do with the actual business. Jeremy and Zach were consistently driving tractors for the tours but not much else - Jeremy admitted to having never actually led a tour until after his marriage to Audrey. In years past we would occasionally see the kids put to some boring chore like planting pumpkins or plowing but that was actually pretty rare. Three of the children have clearly no interest in continuing the farm - Zach, Molly, and Jacob seem content to visit but have no interest in the business. Jeremy says he is interested but went to buy a diploma art school for several years, lived in LA for 8 months, and in Bend for about 2. For all that he wants the farm, he has never expressed any on screen interest in learning the business side of the farm. Jeremy basically shows up for filming but has no interest in the actual work aspect of the farm. If Matt were to die tomorrow, the place would fall apart because Matt has no interest in training anyone to take over.

• Love 3

Just wTched Zac and Tori's birth episode. The three of them are so flipping cute!! 

While waiting for Jackson to be born Amy goes home to cook a giant pancake breakfast for Jer and Audrey-and they, in true slacker hipster form, eat and then lounge on the couch while Amy washes a giant sink full of dirty pans and dishes. For someone that seemed to have a healthy uneventful pregnancy and birth, Audrey is the laziest woman ever. She is always sitting around letting others wait on her. 

Jer and Auj are the antithesis of Zak and Tori. ?

• Love 4

Huh... I thought Matt hated to travel and every precious moment away from the farm was sheer torture for him. 

Funny how he's all fucking smiles as he openly notes he decided to dump the whole family and have fun in Hawaii.

And funny how he's all about being with Caryn's family but also throws the guilt trip down "I'm having so much fun without you all as I bask in the sun in Hawaii but next year you have to do things my way and I will be noting how you allowed me to spend thanksgiving all by myself in lovely Hawaii because you went to your mother's place instead of mine!"

Why do I suspect there's gonna be some real drama at Christmas?

• Love 1