Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

On 12/24/2017 at 2:09 AM, ChiCricket said:

Why is Auj Poj wearing that stupid hat in the house?

20171224_005232.png

I wear hats all off the time. Once you have a hat on for an hour you are married to it for the entire day. This family is always taking freaking pictures so relaxing with your hat head in full view wouldn't work. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

I wear hats all off the time. Once you have a hat on for an hour you are married to it for the entire day. This family is always taking freaking pictures so relaxing with your hat head in full view wouldn't work. 

I agree, unfortunately. If I have a hat on, it’s not coming off until I’m back home or at least not in danger of being photographed. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Do we think Jacob will appear on the show? I have been thinking he will since Amy started posting about him more and more.....

Sure, he'll be back.  Now that he's ready to settle down, wifey probably saw the potential in those TLC $$$.  That could earn them a whole new season.  

• Love 2

Maybe, but I am more inclined to think Amy realizes she and Matt gave Jacob the shit end of the stick when he was growing up and now gives him attention to make up for it. I wouldn't be shocked if he was on the show this upcoming season but I also wouldn't be shocked if they maintain the fiction he's not around. 

AzChristian - I get your point but has the Roloff family ever NOT exploited him? If he does film the wedding, at least for once Jer and to a lesser extent Zach won't be the shining stars to Jake's shitperson  status. And Jacob will finally get a check for all this that his mommy and daddy don't control. Since they never bothered to encourage him to be anything BUT a reality whore like shining star Jer-Bear, I don't expect more than what they expect from him.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Do we think Jacob will appear on the show? I have been thinking he will since Amy started posting about him more and more.....

What an awful pic; looks like Jacob wants her to get the hell off him. It really is a hideous engagement photo.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

What an awful pic; looks like Jacob wants her to get the hell off him. It really is a hideous engagement photo.

He’s one of those people that don’t show their teeth when they smile. Maybe they’re jacked, I don’t know, but it’s all I can see now in his photos. 

• Love 3

Lately I've thought that Jacob has a bit of The Unabomber vibe to him, lol.  I always thought it was the hair but now that you point it out, it's that he never shows his teeth.

Google unabomber and look at the images.I can't post a link from my Kindle sorry, but you'll see what I'm talking about 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shmoopaloop said:

He’s one of those people that don’t show their teeth when they smile. Maybe they’re jacked, I don’t know, but it’s all I can see now in his photos. 

I just thought it wasn't a very nice picture - she's practically attacking him with that kiss & he looks like he wants this crazy woman off him.  Happy engagement LOL. Hope he gets a real job now.

• Love 2
On 1/28/2018 at 3:17 PM, Shmoopaloop said:

he def needs to show teeth when smiling....he looks awful

They might look like them, but don't get it twisted, they are not the same.  Jacob and Isabel live in a truck with their two dogs.  They are both artists and Jacob actually wrote a book (not a great one, but hey, he's 20).  Can you picture Jer and Odd having a relationship under those conditions?  Jacob and Isabel live authentic lives, not ones made for Insta.  I'm actually shocked they would want to participate in the whole marriage thing, but since they grew up with those ideals I imagine it would be hard to totally part ways with that way of thinking.  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Shmoopaloop said:

They look like Jer & Auj 2.0

At first glance, I did think Jerk and Odd somehow got their stupid mugs on Jacob’s People magazine article!

Upon closer inspection, she looks like a combination of Auj and Tori - with the red hair and round/pudgy cheeks.  He looks like a combination of Jer and Zach.

3 hours ago, ponyglue said:

Jacob and Isabel live in a truck with their two dogs.

They look pretty clean & put together for living in a truck with dogs. Jacob isn't too easy to look at (IMO), but his hair looks cleaner than Jer's.  Me thinks they have bathroom privileges somewhere...

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 1

They went on a road trip earlier this year where they lived in the truck with the dogs. For a few weeks while driving thru national parks.  For a year or two before this, they were living in a rental house in Arcata, California. Rumor mill says now? They're living with Amy. (I'm willing to be wrong on this one)

Are they "living more authentically" than Jer and Auj? Probably yes, because I think it would be extremely hard to live any more inside a bubble of fakeness than Jer and Auj but I suspect they're otherwise doing a more art crowd form of what Jeremy and Zach did after high school. AKA goofing off for a few years. 

Jake's book is actually a pamphlet (he even calls it that). It's actually rather interesting , and I do wonder if his professed love of philosophy is a teenage affectation or something genuine, and I do give him plus points for at least trying to break out of the family mold but honestly?

Two 21 year olds with no jobs sounds like a marital disaster. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, ponyglue said:

They might look like them, but don't get it twisted, they are not the same.  Jacob and Isabel live in a truck with their two dogs.  They are both artists and Jacob actually wrote a book (not a great one, but hey, he's 20).  Can you picture Jer and Odd having a relationship under those conditions?  Jacob and Isabel live authentic lives, not ones made for Insta.  I'm actually shocked they would want to participate in the whole marriage thing, but since they grew up with those ideals I imagine it would be hard to totally part ways with that way of thinking.  

They’re definitely not the same, but I think we can all agree they’re all living their lives in the same lackadaisical fashion. Granted, I don’t know much about Isabel. 

I'm not going to snark on Jacob and his fiancée.  Jacob made a choice as soon as he became an adult NOT to be featured on the show.   If and when that changes, then I may comment.  Amy posting a photo announcing her happiness at the engagement is not the same as Jacob being featured on the show, to me, anyway. 

• Love 8

Kudos to Jake for wanting to stay out of reality tv, but I think all the Roloffs are all game for discussion here (including Jacob and Molly, even though we don’t see them much), especially since we don’t have any new episodes to discuss atm. I suspect we’ll see Jacob and Isabel at least a little on the new season, since they’re back from their adventures and are spending more time with the family. Isabel seems like a nice girl and I’d like to see more of them. 

I've always taken the position that if he's not on the show, then he's only fair game up to a point. IE he might be mooching off his parents/living off his accrued show money but he's not on tv, so if he wants to waste his life, it's his family's problem not mine. If he returns to the show, and resumes filming while living in his mom's home, then living a "I'm a high school drop who philosophizes and smokes pot and basically goofs around and I am paid to be here" sort of life is pretty fair game.

Because the fans (not all fans but a certain crazy subset) have decided Jeremy walks with Christ and Audrey is the Holy Daughter of God while Jacob and his dark Satanic eyes and his Jezabel whore Isabel are you know, evil walking among us,  and because Jacob has been very vocal about disliking the show, people will call any serious return to the show hypocritical even if he's on his knees holding a bible begging Jesus and Auj forgiveness for his sins.

I personally would find it a bit hypocritical because he has been vocal and I totally think the dollars involved and the unpleasant reality that without the show he will need to find a job and no one is impressed with high school drop out/ex reality whore on the resume is in play. The only plus points I grant him in returning to the show is at least having the smarts to resume a place on the family gravy train while it exists. 

• Love 2

Heh. I am sure "The Marrieds"  - who were "virgins thru the grace of God" aka not actually virgins, I so know what that sort of church speak means - will be keeping their 'yeah we fucked before marriage' bitch mouths shut on that topic. 

Point - people who are actually virgins don't need to add "thru the grace of God" on to the story - it's people who had to ask forgiveness to be pure again who amend the "I was a virgin" with anything.

Plus frankly, if Jer and Auj want to judge unmarried people for fucking then they need to start pointing fingers at Jer's best friend forever Jacob Mueller and his lovely wife who was six months pregnant and NOT BY JESUS when they wed on Roloff Farms. 

• Love 3

Meh. I still maintain that any of the adults are fair game for discussion, especially when one of the others makes a post about them. To discuss them is not to snark, necessarily. I'm genuinely curious as to what they plan on doing with their lives, think they looked very AujPoj & Jer in that photo, think he should smile more because everyone looks better when they smile, etc. I'd discuss Molly, if I had anything to say about her. She's the most successful and intelligent of the bunch and her life seems pretty straightforward and sensible. 

Hurry up new season!

Edited by Shmoopaloop
  • Love 1

Don't get me wrong - I am not ruling out discussion. :)

But if they aren't on the show, there's a point where I don't care if he's a leach on his family since they have the power to cut him off. 

Molly is similar to me - she avoids the camera so even though she probably falls into the "gay people suck against God" view per many people posting how she's as hard core Christian as the marrieds, unless she gets back on the show I will leave it alone.

• Love 2