Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, teebax said:

My gets were Alabama (only knew it from auto racing), Prince of Tyre, Attica, and Daniel. I was surprised Vinay missed a fairly obvious FJ.

I got those too along with Ron Burgundy and Nigella.  I seriously expected the $200 clue in "-ELLA" to be Cinderella. FJ took me a few seconds to remember what perambulators were, but then remembered the Lost Boys origin story of falling out of their prams. I had already thought of Narnia, Neverland, and Middle-Earth (Frodo was an answer tonight) when the category of fictional places came up so that helped too.. 

• Love 4

Browncoat, here's what I found about the FJ category: "It was originally going to be called "Never Never Never Land," but J.M. Barrie (the author) trimmed it down to "Never Never Land" by the time the play was first staged. In the novel, he called it "the Neverland." Disney refers to it as "Never Land."

So it seems any combo of never and land would have been accepted.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, teebax said:

Another day, another long-ass video category. Oh, it's about a zoo in Minnesota, where Rob is from? Grrrrrrrrrrr.

I love that Gianna and Vinay kept trying to go back to the tops of the categories. I'd have been fine with either of them winning. So, of course, Vinay blew FJ.

My gets were Alabama (only knew it from auto racing), Prince of Tyre, Attica, and Daniel. I was surprised Vinay missed a fairly obvious FJ.

Those video categories such.  They talk for like a minute and 95% of it has NOTHING to do with the clue.  Waste of time.

Did not know neverland.  Oh well. 

• Love 5

Vinay, you had one job - to rid my screen of Rob - and you blew it.  Dang!  He was cute, too.  Rob looks like Walter White.

Was anyone else screaming "Attica!  Attica!" ?  I also got Nigella.

I had a total brain freeze for FJ and then bashed my head against a wall when the answer was revealed.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Browncoat, here's what I found about the FJ category: "It was originally going to be called "Never Never Never Land," but J.M. Barrie (the author) trimmed it down to "Never Never Land" by the time the play was first staged. In the novel, he called it "the Neverland." Disney refers to it as "Never Land."

Thanks, @saber5055!  It's always nice to believe my response would be ruled correct.

9 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Was anyone else screaming "Attica!  Attica!" ? 

Yep.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Those video categories such.  They talk for like a minute and 95% of it has NOTHING to do with the clue.  Waste of time.

I'm with you on that, but I suspect many of them are paid advertising so that's why the clues are so extended. 

50 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Dang. They didn’t finish the first board again. I would have stayed that reality tv category! 

I would have probably ran it too. Of course, we have to have Jimmy waxing poetic about a snake for a minute and wonder why we can't finish off a board. 

1 minute ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

You're not the only one, I was too. )

• Love 8

All of you and Alex Trebek too. (Heh, I'm a poet.)

Of course, we have to have Jimmy waxing poetic about a snake for a minute and wonder why we can't finish off a board.

This win my Funniest Post of the Night Award.

You're welcome.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Live and learn! I thought of Narnia then changed it to Neverland. I wondered if it would have been acceptable. I also knew Prince, Attica, Nigella, and the Book of Daniel. I thought the "Sidekicks" answer should have been "Frodo Baggins" and not just "Frodo," since they gave Merry's and Pippin's full names.

• Love 1

All I got tonight was Alabama, Attica (yes, I was screaming it too) and Nigella. 

When I heard perambulator in the FJ clue, all I could think of Cabbage Patch babies. It was stupid and incorrect I know, but sometimes the brain takes a vacation when you least want it to.

Ol’ Smiley Face Rob was back to starting in the middle of categories. Such an obvious DD hunter, but it’s working for him. I wish Vinay had won, though. 

• Love 3

For a few months I lived VERY close to Como Park Zoo and I think it's a really random choice for a zoo category. It's a fairly small, but nice, free zoo. Maybe they will get some interest and donations from this, though. Tired of video categories. Between that and Rob's overly long anecdotes, we didn't get to see the no-doubt-fascinating Reality TV category :(

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I knew it was London from Kensington Gardens and prams but all I could come with was Mary Poppins, which is not a place.

I even saw the Peter Pan fountain in my mind (I've seen it in person, too) and still couldn't come up with it.  

*going off to bash my head again*

• Love 4

Between that and Rob's overly long anecdotes, we didn't get to see the no-doubt-fascinating Reality TV category :(

I know, right? And I was going to rock that category. But one good thing: It's still a full category so can appear in a future game, untouched.

• Love 5

The only TS I got was Attica. (And, yes, I pictured and heard Al Pacino yelling it in the street. "AT-TI-CA! AT-TI-CA!")

I got FJ, saying Neverland. The first thing that came to mind was something to do with Alice in Wonderland, but I didn't think that sounded right. Maybe the story about the Lost Boys falling out of their prams was stuck somewhere in my brain, but I felt like I simply figured it out.

I like that Rob laughs at the other contestants' stories. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I know, right? And I was going to rock that category. But one good thing: It's still a full category so can appear in a future game, untouched.

They revealed the first clue (The Voice). I'm not into reality TV, but got that one, so I wonder how I would've done.

• Love 1

Aw man, I liked Vijay and thought it was nice of him to give his co-worker a shout out for covering his shift.

I most certainly was. It's top of mind since it was just featured in "The Big House" docuseries. #truecrimenerd

@Miss Chevious beat me to the FFA controversy. I agree "occupation" is what sealed it.

I had no clue on FJ. My very wild guess was Village of the Damned. Somehow my mind leapt from a reference I didn't get about abandoned baby carriages to that.

• Love 1

We were rooting for Vinay, but a Gianna win would have been fine too. But if she had won, would she have enlightened Johnny & Alex as to the correct pronunciation for her name? I hate to admit it, but Rob of the smiley face 'o' is not annoying me too much. I think that, from reading the comments here, it helps that I did not see his first game. Again with the easy DD - Vlad the Impaler is Count Dracula; knowing that the Wiggles &/or Kylie Minogue are from Australia? 

I knew the zoo category was going to be a video one. Violet the baby giraffe was adorable, but I hate when these long ass clue categories prevent the board from being cleared. And  Alex's fairly recent habit of recapping the previous game is not helping. 

TS I got were Alabama, prince, Ron Burgundy (God I hate that movie), Nigella, Book of Daniel

I'm from Louisiana, and had no idea that the state has a mountain. Dr. Toothbrush claims to have known, but he didn't know where Bienville Parish is, so I am skeptical ;-)

7 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Dang!  He was cute, too.  Rob looks like Walter White.

Yes, Vinay was cute, and Rob does look like Walter White. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's who!

7 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Of course, we have to have Jimmy waxing poetic about a snake for a minute and wonder why we can't finish off a board. 

lol! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I even saw the Peter Pan fountain in my mind (I've seen it in person, too) and still couldn't come up with it.  

Where is it located. I’ve been to Kerriemuir (Barrie’s birthplace in Scotland) but although I remember a statue of Peter Pan, I don’t recall a fountain. 

• Love 1

There's a Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens -- Robin Williams wakes up near it at the end of Hook.  And that statue is what led me to Neverland, so to speak.  Not sure about a fountain, though.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2

Who wasn't?

I got Alabama 'cause in the late 60s, on a family vacation, we went there. There's a state park with a campground at the top of the mountain. It was late in the day; we needed to set up camp. We drove up and up and up that damn tall mountain and when we finally got to the very top, the park ranger laughed and said the campground's full.  Like they couldn't have put a sign at the BOTTOM of the mountain?  His laughing really cheesed off my dad. We had to drive back DOWN the mountain and find another park (we did, but it only had outhouses - we had to go without showers that day.) Damn Alabama.  Never forget it.

I blanked on Neverland. (I always thought it was just Neverland and Disney added the extra Never. But then, wasn't MJ's ranch called "Neverland" ? He might've had that same thought process I did.)

I loved the "Ella" category. I've got a hugely long poem of stuff rhyming with my cat's name, Stella.  I've now learned that in addition to salmonella and shigella, I can add varicella (all from eating Fontinella & Nutella prepared by Nigella while drinking Lambrusco by Cella and looking through windows by Pella.) She's been spayed, so she doesn't need a fella.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

They can do animal categories all they want (especially dogs) but there is no reason whatsoever to be showing snakes, especially the largest one there is...

Whatever is keeping all the categories from being anwered needs to stop.  They manage to cover them all in the preliminary championship games, so they can do it for all of them.

Oh, boy, do I agree with this. No pic or video of a snake need ever be shown as a clue! If I had been a contestant, I would have clamped my eyes shut while shrieking! That's what I did at home!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I loved the "Ella" category. I've got a hugely long poem of stuff rhyming with my cat's name, Stella.  I've now learned that in addition to salmonella and shigella, I can add varicella (all from eating Fontinella & Nutella prepared by Nigella while drinking Lambrusco by Cella and looking through windows by Pella.) She's been spayed, so she doesn't need a fella.

:D She ain't no Cinderella.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When it rains tella not to forget her umbrella

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Who wasn't?

I got Alabama 'cause in the late 60s, on a family vacation, we went there. There's a state park with a campground at the top of the mountain. It was late in the day; we needed to set up camp. We drove up and up and up that damn tall mountain and when we finally got to the very top, the park ranger laughed and said the campground's full.  Like they couldn't have put a sign at the BOTTOM of the mountain?  His laughing really cheesed off my dad. We had to drive back DOWN the mountain and find another park (we did, but it only had outhouses - we had to go without showers that day.) Damn Alabama.  Never forget it.

I blanked on Neverland. (I always thought it was just Neverland and Disney added the extra Never. But then, wasn't MJ's ranch called "Neverland" ? He might've had that same thought process I did.)

If she’s outside to tell her to light a candle with Citronella 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

There's a Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens -- Robin Williams wakes up near it at the end of Hook.  And that statue is what led me to Neverland, so to speak.  Not sure about a fountain, though.

You're right.  It is just a statue.  I don't know why my mind thinks it's a fountain.  I must have it mixed up with something else.

So many memories, such a small brain...

• Love 6
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

They can do animal categories all they want (especially dogs) but there is no reason whatsoever to be showing snakes, especially the largest one there is...

Whatever is keeping all the categories from being anwered needs to stop.  They manage to cover them all in the preliminary championship games, so they can do it for all of them.

And the yellow frog <shudder>

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Who wasn't?

I didn't get Attica mainly because my knowledge of NY prisons comes from Law & Order. I knew Riker's Island isn't near Buffalo, so I said Sing Sing. 

Love your ode to Stella! Is her favorite song Rihanna's "Umbrella"? I do hope she has been vaccinated against rubella. 

Nutella is the favored snack in the Toothbrush household, so Dr. Toothbrush & I yelled Nutella as soon as the category was revealed. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I don't have any problem with snakes, except when I'm startled by one and it makes me jump, like when I'm stepping over a log, look down and there's a snake looking up at me. I have tons of snake stories that I won't treat ya'll to here. But they're GOOD stories! I'm just irritated that I said "python" for that anaconda. My brain is so much smaller than Carpe's!

Oh, and the yellow frog ... so cool. Frogs appear here in summer, out of nowhere. They'll be in the horse water tank and even in buckets of water. Of course, they are the green, not yellow frogs. But I do have tree frogs, they will cling to my screen door and "croak" at me. And the toads startle me when I lean down to pick up the little pile of "whatever" and it jumps away. That makes me scream like a little girl.

p.s. Dogs will eat frogs but not toads. There's another future J! tidbit.

• Love 5

That little yellow frog was adorable. I know there are little tree frogs around my yard in the summer but I've only see one once or twice. Mostly I just hear them.

Snakes...meh. I don't love them, I don't hate them as long as they're not trying to kill me. I'd much rather encounter a harmless snake than a huge spider or a millipede. both of which have shown up in my house on occasion.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Dogs will eat frogs but not toads.

But they will lick toads, and get completely stoned!

Unpopular opinion of the day -- I like snakes!  Well, all reptiles -- and amphibians, too.  I thought the yellow frog was gorgeous.  However, if they'd had a giant spider, I might have had to leave the room.  Spiders have way way too many legs.  And pincers.

• Love 8
On 2/16/2018 at 9:32 AM, tallykat said:

Do they give the contestants calculators or even just pen and paper during the commercial break to figure out what they want to bid?

I believe they get pen/pencil and paper.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:29 PM, GrannySmith said:

I was sure I was going to run the reality tv category. Is there any place that lists all the questions?

No, unrevealed clues often get recycled, but there is the J6 thing, which will get you one more question from each category. It's multiple choice, though.

Rob has a cute dog!

• Love 7
On 2/17/2018 at 2:36 AM, Toothbrush said:

And  Alex's fairly recent habit of recapping the previous game is not helping

He just wanted to say "SAMURAI!" one more time, in his own strange way.

Edited by whinewithwine
because spelling counts
  • Love 7

I missed Rob's hammock-and-dog story, but in civilized states hammocks are brought inside in bad weather and especially during winter. Not that Minnesota is full of lazy asses, but still ...

13 hours ago, dcalley said:

No, unrevealed clues often get recycled, but there is the J6 thing, which will get you one more question from each category. It's multiple choice, though.

The J!6 Reality TV question/clue was about my favorite tv show (well, after Jeopardy!). The multiple choice is so easy peasy. It will make you feel smart(er)!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Got a few TSs today. Psychiatrist (The Alienist is one of my fave books), Ladysmith (no Graceland fans today?), Vietnam (tunnel rats was key there), and Chinatown, as well as FJ. 

One question—WTF was tar and feathering doing as a $1000 clue? 

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

One question—WTF was tar and feathering doing as a $1000 clue? 

"It's Jeopardy, Jake". And you're correct--I think it is actually referred to as "tar & feathering" not "tarring and feathering". Also, didn't the contestant say "East Germany", was told "No" and then changed it to "West Germany" and it was accepted????

• Love 6

I was watching the February 19, 2018 game and I am convinced this might be the worst game I've seen.  I try not to be too mean, but almost anything would make a better anecdote than singing the alphabet backwards on national television. 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Also, didn't the contestant say "East Germany", was told "No" and then changed it to "West Germany" and it was accepted????

Yes, I didn't understand why she got away with that.

24 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

Vietnam (tunnel rats was key there)

It made me think of the movie The Great Escape so I said World War II.

2 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I try not to be too mean, but almost anything would make a better anecdote than singing the alphabet backwards on national television. 

Yes! Alex even tried to give him an out, saying he didn't really need to do it, but he couldn't resist.  And then, they don't clear the board...

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 10

Gearhead, Chinatown and The Exorcist are three TS I got and all those wrong guesses about The Exorcist were crazy.

I blame Kate that we didn’t clear the board either time.

Tar and feathers and Chuck Taylor were ridiculously easy DD’s.

I had no clue on FJ and then when Alex made his quip I was like duh.  Makes total sense.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Moose135 said:
34 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Also, didn't the contestant say "East Germany", was told "No" and then changed it to "West Germany" and it was accepted????

Yes, I didn't understand why she got away with that.

I think because she corrected herself before time ran out?  I don't know -- just grasping at straws!

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

all those wrong guesses about The Exorcist were crazy.

I've never even seen The Exorcist, and I knew that one right away!  My head was exploding -- Amityville Horror?  Good grief.

I was disappointed that Ladysmith was a TS -- either no one likes Graceland, or no one has seen Mean Girls.  I love them both!  Also was surprised no one could ring in with Krazy Glue after Rob's wrong guess.  I also got Vietnam, gearhead, and Grosbeak -- and since I'm a birder, probably would have gone a step further in identifying it as an Evening Grosbeak, and been ruled incorrect because the whole answer didn't start with G and had more than 8 letters.  :)

FJ was almost an instaget.  I did have to think for a second, then said, "Oh, right -- interrogation = Miranda, of course."

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Yes! Alex even tried to give him an out, saying he didn't really need to do it, but he couldn't resist.  And then, they don't clear the board...

Grrrr...I’m sick of them not clearing the board. Then the singing. They have been too chatty of late (or slow).

I got a few TS’s, Gearhead, Chinatown, the tunnel rats in Vietnam, and the Exorcist. Of all things I missed FJ and I should have known that. 

• Love 3

I am not a Rob fan, but I loved his FJ wager. I know it was a huge runaway and he was going to win regardless, but I like when they have a large cushion and still bet big. I have a lot of respect for that wager.

I had a good game, considering I was doing three different things while watching. My gets: Ladysmith, Vietnam, Denmark (that was a funny TS), crazy glue, gearhead, China Town, The Exorcist, and FJ as an instaget. I feel like the clue writers may have a bug in my classroom: I teach Street Law during my seminar, and we just did the Miranda case last week. That keeps happening to me!

• Love 14

R?B!  Ugh!  When Alex tells you you don't have to sing - don't.  Tool.  Kate coulda been a contender, but she was soooo slow and then started the "panic goofy guessing" when she fell behind.  What was up with her turning to Rob and staring at him every time she didn't ring in, even when Florence was answering?  

And again, the boards weren't cleared.  Boo hiss.

I got Vietnam War, Crazy Glue, Denmark, Chinatown, Lawrence of Arabia, and The Exorcist.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 12