Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got 9 TS/missed DDs/FJ today—woohoo (only got three yesterday)! Muddy, manatee, l’chaim, St. Paul’s, fret, What’s Love..., What’s New..., Charles I, and Mycroft.

I got all those tonight, too. My son keeps saying I should go on the show, but I know there's way too many categories that would completely defeat me. I like Rachel. At least she's reasonably fast on the category calling.

45 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

For FJ, I first thought that it sounded like a Sherlock Holmes story, but then realized the category was brothers so I went with Sherlock's brother Mycroft. 

It sounded like a SH story to me as well, but I must have missed the category was about brothers.  Not that I would have any clue what Holmes' brother's name was.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

(hated Alex's Dracula speaks cajun accent),

OMG!  That was the WORST!  He would have done better if he'd stuck with a French-ish accent/pronunciation. 

I'm surprised no one has commented about the "Women Authors" category.  Heh.

Boo, hiss on the reversal of ski-mobile.  Nope, nope, nope.  Ski-doo is acceptable because it's a brand, but nope on the ski-mobile.

Too many TS/missed DDs tonight!  I managed Big Muddy, St. Paul's, giraffe, manatee, l'chaim, in flagrante delicto, What's Love..., Itzhak Perlman, and frets.

FJ took me a second -- I had to stop focusing on "Greek" and pay attention to the year and to "London" and then to the category.  Then it took me a bit more to remember Sherlock's brother's name.  I prefer to think I would have had enough time to write it down. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

I got FJ, it took me a minute to realize the correct name was Mycroft, not Miles. 

Unfortunately, I stuck with Miles though I knew that was incorrect. I just couldn't remember his name. (I was picturing the actor in Cumberbatch's Sherlock.)

Worst. Trebek accent. Ever. I might have gotten cayenne if he hadn't stunned my brain into a coma.

There were a couple of TSs I just couldn't pull out of my head, but the ones I got were Muddy, giraffe, manatee, l'chaim, What's Love Got To With It?, What's New Pussycat?, and the DD of frets. Also, I said timpani instead of kettledrum. Since timpani also has a kitchen item in the word, I think that would have been accepted. 

These guys were shockingly bad tonight.  So many easy missed answers.

I like Rachel, partly because she's from my state.  Agree about the sweater needing to be pulled up,

Wasn't bothered by her ski-mobile answer.  She lives in a part of the country with beautiful snow and scenery.  She probably owns a ski-mobile and has use of one through her job.  It's like saying Kleenex instead of tissues, and many other examples.

I wonder if they would have accepted Yitzhak (with a Y), which is how it's properly pronounced.

Edited by Brookside

I was very surprised that April the giraffe was a TS.  I swear the live video feed of the pregnant giraffe was everywhere on my FB feed for MONTHS!
It also surprised me that l'chaim was a TS.   Most Jeopardy! contestants seem to have fairly decent knowledge of Broadway musicals.  Hello, Fiddler on the Roof!  "To life, to life, l'chaim.  L'chaim, l'chaim, to life."  No, just me?  Okay.

Edited by ProudMary
Just to clarify, there was no mention of Broadway musicals in the answer. That's just how I arrived at l'chaim.
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

It also surprised me that l'chaim was a TS.   Most Jeopardy! contestants seem to have fairly decent knowledge of Broadway musicals.  Hello, Fiddler on the Roof!  "To life, to life, l'chaim.  L'chaim, l'chaim, to life."  No, just me?  Okay.

Not just you.  Fiddler on the Roof was my first thought.

Edited by lb60

The noise level of this type of cold-weather recreational item has been reduced by over 90% since the 1960s – They were looking for snowmobile. Skimobile from Rachel was rejected and Ski-Doo was accepted from Alex. Before Round 2 began, the judges chose to accept Rachel’s response and awarded her $800.

I wonder if they would have accepted "snow machine", which is (apparently) what snowmobiles are called in Alaska.  (That's what Sarah Palin calls them.)  Here in Iowa, the recreational variety is a "snowmobile".   Nobody says "ski-mobile", and a "snow machine" is something used to make fake snow. 

Rachel needs a new sweater.  That's the same one she wore yesterday.  Does Jeopardy! not like bare arms? 

Alex was great eye candy, but ugh cool it with the entire category name for $x please. 

TS I got in the J round were cayenne (despite Alex's painfully WTF attempt at a Cajun accent), muddy, Athens, St. Paul's Cathedral. Then there was evidently an issue with the local feed because the recording froze for most of DJ. TS I got in that round were Perlman, frets (Katie's missed DD), Millennium Dome. We missed the reversal of ski-mobile (I've lived in the Deep South for all of my life and even I know that answer was BS), and the category names. No idea for FJ; I was trying to think of Greek brothers. 

3 hours ago, lb60 said:

Not a big fan of Rachel.  I agree with those who think she acts too cutesy.  Plus, she needed to pull her sweater up over her shoulders tonight.  <nitpicky>

I said the same thing about the sweater as she was swaying to & fro while being introduced. Please save a seat at the nitpicky table for me. 

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I missed the clue due to technical difficulties, but I know l'chaim from a Black Eyed Peas' song. Kultcha' I haz it 

• Love 1

Lots of TS tonight because I got a bunch and I Don't think it was even half of them: giraffe, l'chaim, en flagrante delicto, What's Love Got to Do with It, What's New Pussycat, and Itzak Perlman. And the fret missed DD.

Can I get an amen that the guy in the middle didn't win?

Yup. And I see what you did there LOL

Cutsie Rachel needs to lose.  That skimobile (giggle, giggle - barf!) was B.S.  I guess they would have given it to Alex's girlfriend if she'd answered kitmobile.

When that reversal happened my eyes rolled down the hallway and into the elevator before I could catch them. Were you gagging with me during the "Luigi?" "Yeah hee hee hee hee" exchange at FJ? I said I would reserve judgment on Rachel until Alex' crush became sickening. OK, it's sickening. Begone Rachel. I will say that it's impressive (and unnerving) how she seems to accumulate thousands in a matter of seconds.

I missed the category for FJ so only seeing the clue my mind went to Sherlock Holmes but figured that was wrong and just gave up. I read a great book about Mycroft Holmes whose title i unfortunately can't recall at the moment...

Edited by YoureSoUrban

I like Rachel. At least she's reasonably fast on the category calling.

Yes, she is and I swear I didn't see her swaying. I stared because y'all mentioned it, but I didn't see it.

Hey, maybe she only owns one sweater and will now be able to afford more!

Hello, Fiddler on the Roof!  "To life, to life, l'chaim.  L'chaim, l'chaim, to life."  No, just me?  Okay.

No, not just you. I've seen Fiddler in the movies and on the stage. And I used to play and sing at a piano bar and there was this one guy named Howard who would sing 'If I Were a Rich Man' every single frickin' night. He was an okay singer but he never put one cent in the tip jar! [I used Howard in a book - heh!]

So (LOL), during FJ I turned to Mr. Author and said, "I wonder if they'll accept Sherlock's brother." For the life of me I couldn't remember his name...and I write mysteries. Oy!

19 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

Yes, she is and I swear I didn't see her swaying. I stared because y'all mentioned it, but I didn't see it.

So (LOL), during FJ I turned to Mr. Author and said, "I wonder if they'll accept Sherlock's brother." For the life of me I couldn't remember his name...and I write mysteries. Oy!

I didn't notice Rachel's swaying until it was mentioned here & now I can't not notice it.

LOL @ FJ because I thought, "I'm sure Mystery Author knows this!"

5 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I said Mazel Tov first and after that was wrong I said the only other Jewish toast I knew. 

I didn't actually know "What's New Pussycat?" was a movie, but it was the only Tom Jones song whose title is a question that I knew. 

For FJ, I first thought that it sounded like a Sherlock Holmes story, but then realized the category was brothers so I went with Sherlock's brother Mycroft. 

I knew manatee from seeing the county on Florida license plates (Orca county?) and got the others. 

I got "What's New Pussycat?" the same way.

I know that Sherlock's first appearance was in "A Study in Scarlet", and I thought that title (esp given the year, London, and that it was in a magazine) was obviously a Sherlock story. Since only one of them even guessed a Holmes, and from coming here, I was clearly wrong about how easy I thought it was. I'm starting to think I might be a nerd.

I feel like Manatee is a hilarious (and awesome) county name. I had no idea for that one, and would never have guessed it.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm surprised no one has commented about the "Women Authors" category.  Heh.

Not only did we have Women Authors, but they didn't finish the category!!! Booo...

7 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Does Jeopardy! not like bare arms? 

They actually counsel contestants to wear sweaters because it's cold in the studio.

1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I am a big ole Sherlock Holmes geek who has the complete annotated works on her shelf.

Me too! Loved them when I was growing up (my mother professes surprise I turned into an Anglophile, but I know I didn't buy that for myself at 12 years old). I have a lot of trouble reading them now due to the xenophobia that's so prevalent in the original stories -- and as much as I try to tell myself it was perfectly acceptable when ACD was writing them, it still sticks in my craw to read them now. (Can't read the original Bobbsey Twins books I inherited from my mother either, but that's going wayyyyyy too far off-topic.) I got Mycroft as well.

10 hours ago, lb60 said:

No clue for FJ.  My knowledge of Sherlock Holmes comes strictly from Elementary.  Never read any of the books.

I've read exactly 1 Holmes book, which was an English assignment in junior high.  However, I too watch Elementary, which was how I got it. since there have been so many episodes that featured him or talked about him.  Although I first said "Moriarty", then "Mycroft"--not because I mixed up the actual characters, but because there are too many "M"s in those books.

Damn it, hot Alex - why couldn't you know that Charles I lost the battle of Naseby?  And come one, guys, speed it up and clear the boards.

15 hours ago, lb60 said:

My knowledge of Sherlock Holmes comes strictly from Elementary.  Never read any of the books

Hasn't Mycroft been on Elementary?  I thought he had, but I don't watch regularly.  I knew it from the Seven Percent Solution.

I missed yesterday's show, which sounds like a good one after reading here. I will search for it online so I can catch up. FJ would have been a no brainer for me, a big Sherlock fan. I loved the PBS series with Benedict Cumberbatch. Brother Mycroft was a big portion of that series, he was in almost if not every episode.

The mention of What's New Pussycat always makes me think of John Mulaney's stand up of playing the Tom Jones song on a diner jukebox 21 times in a row.

YouTube it if you get a chance :)

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I missed yesterday's show, which sounds like a good one after reading here. I will search for it online so I can catch up. FJ would have been a no brainer for me, a big Sherlock fan. I loved the PBS series with Benedict Cumberbatch. Brother Mycroft was a big portion of that series, he was in almost if not every episode.

I guessed "Moriarty."  Yes, my brain will do that, take me 90% of the way and then drop me.

Instaget FJ. I couldn't believe the champ just wrote "Publisher's." DUH. 

Obviously getting those "you may have already won" mailers was before the young dude's time, as Trebek says. In fact, I'm shocked he didn't say it this time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Instaget FJ. I couldn't believe the champ just wrote "Publisher's." DUH. 

Obviously getting those "you may have already won" mailers was before the young dude's time, as Trebek says. In fact, I'm shocked he didn't say it this time.

I think he didn't say it because Publisher's Clearing House still exists. I'm pretty sure they still advertise on TV, even though Ed McMahon is long gone. Besides, Alex already used that line on Del when he picked the "My First Marriage" category.

Lots of TS's again. I got Man O'War, Nicosia, Lizzie Borden, Rodeo, sugarcoat, peaches and cream, Mohammed, and Custis (missed DD). 

Rachel is certainly lucky that her opponents aren't stronger. She made some pretty bad guesses. I never knew Neruda painted. And is Oceania considered a continent?

ETA: I just listened to the Lizzie Borden song. It sounds almost like a satire on folk songs about killers, like "Tom Dooley."

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1

Another horrible game.  So many bad guesses and TS! I had hopes for middle guy when he was just calling out the values of the clues and not the whole name for dollars please, Alex.  Alas, my hopes were dashed. 

For TS, I got Australia, the surprising one of Lizzie Borden, sugarcoat, peaches and cream, cars, and Custis.

FJ was another instaget for me.

• Love 1

Rachel, keep your hands OFF YOUR HAIR. Such a pet peeve of mine, when long-haired women have to stroke and caress their locks for ... whatever reason. I think Rachel ran out of time to write Clearing House for FJ. At least, that's what I'm telling myself after time vs. speed writing FJ discussions here. (That FJ, BTW, was another Pre-Teen $50 question.) I was hoping Del would win based on his quick way of getting around the board and calling clues. Also: Speedwagon was NOT a correct answer. She was thinking of the band, REO Speedwagon, not the car. And yeah, Fisher Cat was all kinds of wrong, too. Based on that allow, judges should be okay with the movie The Fisher King being called The Fishing King. Man, this show sometimes ...

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I've read exactly 1 Holmes book, which was an English assignment in junior high.  However, I too watch Elementary, which was how I got it. since there have been so many episodes that featured him or talked about him.  Although I first said "Moriarty", then "Mycroft"--not because I mixed up the actual characters, but because there are too many "M"s in those books.

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Hasn't Mycroft been on Elementary?  I thought he had, but I don't watch regularly.  I knew it from the Seven Percent Solution.

I failed to connect the title to Sherlock Holmes, so there was no way I was getting to Mycroft.  I never know what book any given episode of the show is based on, but I can't wait for the damn show to be back. Hopefully, with more Clyde!!

Tonight I got Australia (which I thought was a no brainer), sugarcoat, and Lizzie Borden.  

FJ=instaget.  

Edited by lb60

Rachel needs to get off my screen!  But it's doubtful since the judges seem to love her.  I'm surprised they didn't allow her half answer for FJ since they accepted fisher cat and speedwagon (which was a pickup truck, not a car).  I've gotten so I can't stand her simply because of this judging crap.

I got Australia, 1933, Lizzy Borden, Rodeo, and peaches and cream.

FJ was an instaget.  I had most of it written down before Alex finished reading the clue.  Yes, I'm a nerd.  I write out the FJ answers.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 2

She almost certainly guessed REO Speedwagon because of the band. To be fair, I said Speedwagon for the same reason. 

5 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Tonight I got Australia (which I thought was a no brainer), sugarcoat, and Lizzie Borden.  

Got those and FJ. I'm from Massachusetts, so Lizzie Borden was easy for me. Also got 1933 and Guyana (missed DD) . Suriname is Dutch. 

The Great Wiki's disambiguation page does mention that the fisher cat is "Another name for the fishing cat, a type of cat found in Asia (Prionailurus viverrinus)." Still particularly as the clue related to activity "fishing" should be the correct response. 

• Love 1

Sigh. A whole category on my hometown and they only got to 2 questions. Of course I couldn't remember the name of the book in the second question but still. I was looking forward to the category. FJ was instaget.  My mother used to order from them all the time. Ed McMahon never came to our door. Bastards. 

I could have sworn Alex said that they were accepting her answer of "Reo Speedwagon." Like, ree-yo. Not R-E-O. I didn't hear exactly what she said but if she really called it Ree-yo Speedwagon I am dead. (If Alex is the one who came up with Ree-yo, I am DEADER.)

Edited by ClareWalks
1 minute ago, ClareWalks said:

I could have sworn Alex said that they were accepting her answer of "Reo Speedwagon." Like, ree-yo. Not R-E-O. I didn't hear exactly what she said but if she really called it Ree-yo Speedwagon I am dead.

She just said speedwagon.  I'm sure she was thinking of REO Speedwagon.  Wrong band, honey, they wanted the Cars.

While I'm still in a rage over this, I wonder if the judges would have accepted the Lost Continent of Atlantis if she'd guessed that instead of Oceania for the glaciers clue.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Rachel, keep your hands OFF YOUR HAIR. Such a pet peeve of mine, when long-haired women have to stroke and caress their locks for ... whatever reason. I think Rachel ran out of time to write Clearing House for FJ. At least, that's what I'm telling myself after time vs. speed writing FJ discussions here. (That FJ, BTW, was another Pre-Teen $50 question.) 

As a long-haired woman, I might have some insight. I have long hair so I can braid it (I love braids), so I only wear it down when I'm trying to look pretty and polished, or dressed up - like say, if I was going on Jeopardy! Since I'm not used to it, feeling my hair hanging down drives me crazy and I can't leave it alone. I can't be the only one!

I also thought (hoped?) Rachel probably ran out of time for FJ.

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Rachel is certainly lucky that her opponents aren't stronger. She made some pretty bad guesses. I never knew Neruda painted. And is Oceania considered a continent?

Continents are categorized in lots of different ways on different lists, geology or political, different school curricula, eg America vs North and South America. Given that, I thought the question was kind of unfair. But no matter the definition, Oceania was definitely wrong because New Zealand has glaciers!

This game was full of surprising wrong answers and TS. Picasso is the most obvious and first Spanish painter I think of. Muhammed. Lizzie Borden. Peaches and Cream. I didn't know Martha Washington's first married name, but I wondered if that was an easy one for someone from the US.

2 minutes ago, Fex said:

Since I'm not used to it, feeling my hair hanging down drives me crazy and I can't leave it alone.

I also have long hair, but when I touch it, it's to move it out of my face, or tuck it behind my ears, not stroke it or pet it like a dog sitting on my shoulder.  Her motion was just a little too cutesy for me.  I think she's trying too hard to be the manic pixie dream girl.

• Love 4

Cannot believe only one person got that FJ question.  Could not have been much easier. 

I realize Dali was wrong, it was Picasso, but Alex's horrified reaction to the answer seemed out of line.  Guessing the most well known surrealist painter based on the question seemed appropriate. 

Also new Lizzie Borden, Australia, Muhammed. 

Accepting speedwagon?  That's a huge stretch

Horrible game, horrible judging, lousy players.  We have fisher (not fishing) cats here in Maine, and they are a completely different animal, not felines.  They're weasels.  And they're not cute, but fortunately they are elusive.  That answer should never have been credited.

This was me during that game: 

angry fisher.jpg

• Love 3

Carpe, your post had me cracking up. "The wrong band" and "Lost Continent of Atlantis" ... pure gold. As for the hair pet-peeve thing, Browncoat eloquently sums it up: "... pet it like a dog sitting on my shoulder." Yes! I'm especially aware of the hair petting since I watch The Bachelor. It's de rigueur among the extension-wearing b-ettes on that *cough* show. I have long hair too, and would stab myself if I ever felt the need to "pet" it. Especially to attract a mate!

Okay, Modrianyone, your self portrait made me LOL. You win best post among some really great posts today!

Plus how hard was it to come up with Australia, home of the outback desert, as the continent without glaciers? Gah.

• Love 4

Ah, I see. I didn't notice the hair action, so I didn't realize it's dog petting nature. I do not do that, and have no explanation. That is bizarre. I'm sure I will notice it tomorrow.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Horrible game, horrible judging, lousy players.  We have fisher (not fishing) cats here in Maine, and they are a completely different animal, not felines.  They're weasels.  And they're not cute, but fortunately they are elusive.  That answer should never have been credited.

I just recently heard for the first time about fisher cats, so I knew it was different from the picture of the cute fishing cat. 

52 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

She just said speedwagon.  I'm sure she was thinking of REO Speedwagon.  Wrong band, honey, they wanted the Cars.

Hee. Good one.

FJ was ridiculously easy (I guess if you're old enough to have lived thru its heyday).

I got Australia, Lizzie Borden, Rodeo, sugar-coat, peaches and cream, cars, and Mohammed.

• Love 1