Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I ate a ton load of tuna casserole as a kid, and it was never EVER called TNC. In fact, it was never called tuna NOODLE casserole since the noodles were assumed, all casseroles contained egg noodles. That clue/question had to be written by some young'un who was not raised by Depression-era parents or lived during The Casserole Era. Casseroles were a main staple at all meals, at home, at church, brought for potlucks, gifted to people who had endured a loss. (Crushed potato chips baked on top of the TC -- tuna casserole! -- were "the tops" and considered fancy!)

• Love 10
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Casseroles were a main staple at all meals, at home, at church, brought for potlucks, gifted to people who had endured a loss.

Another popular one (not before Alex's time) was green beans and canned cream of mushroom soup, with crisp canned fried onions on top.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Just adding my two cents - The only food item I’ve heard of that’s been shortened is a BLT sandwich. I’ve never heard of tuna noodle casserole being called TNC.

I can think of two more, PB (&J) and BBQ. Never heard that casserole one and I have lived in the Land of Casseroles (the Midwest) my entire life.

• Love 4

Had to think about FJ for a second, going through all the possible 3 related words and prefixes in my head before I finally came up with Triscuit.  I don't eat those, either, so it wasn't immediately obvious to me.

Not a horrible game.  The quilt story went on too long, although I'd bet some of her quilts are lovely.  I did like middle guy's story about telling people his wife's from the South.  Heh.  But I'm glad Lee won again, and I'm not even mad that it was a runaway.  I only got three TS tonight -- sailor (thanks, crossword puzzles!), Gorilla, and Everest.  I couldn't figure out the animal homophones category at first, and appreciated Lee's joke about ending the misery for that one!  Everest was a surprising TS.

• Love 4

Word to the wise: If the previous answer is Jane Addams, the next answer is not going to be Jane Addams. Ryan didn't know Triscuit either, but I did.

That homophonic animals category was just a whale or wail fail. Guerrilla, gorilla, flea, flee. I got those. 

Got Everest and sailor also. 

• Love 12

I only saw six clues but did get Everest.  Appalachian was an interesting response to the mile high clue.

I saw only FJ last night and it was an instaget; tonight’s was the same.  As soon as he said “three” I thought “Tri” and there we were.

But who doesn’t know how to spell triscuit?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 8

Not many TS’s tonight and yay, they cleared the board! I got whale and 2 DD’s Botticelli and Jackson. FJ was easy, I also immediately thought 3 is tri, then it was a Triscuit with Brie on it.

Congrats, Lee, keep it going! Alex wants a streak!

• Love 1

Thank goodness Lee won again.  Congrats!  The other two were sort of dry and humorless.

Alex, why would Lee bet way more than $2,000 and possibly lose?  STFU.

I got whale, gorilla, and flea.  I'm usually not good at those types of categories, but that one seemed easy tonight for some reason.

FJ was an instaget.  Three = tri = Triscuit.

• Love 10

We had a lot of Tuna Casserole (never even said the noodle part and certainly never called it TNC).  I had to laugh at middle guy thinking Jane Addams would be the answer twice in that category.  Triscuit was pretty easy for me.  Unlike most snack crackers, Triscuit has only 3 ingredients.  Did the clue say it was baked 3 times.  Or am I wrong about the wording of the clue?  I don't think I even read the whole clue.  I just saw the word tri and immediately said Triscuit.

Lee has been pretty impressive.       

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

But who doesn’t know how to spell triscuit?

I know how to spell it, but I admit I did jot down "trisket." I thought it looked funny. I used to hate Triscuits, but I've gotten into them lately. With hummus. There are so many different flavors of Triscuit, too.

The only TS I got was flea. I felt dumb for taking until the three clue to understand the category.

Yay, Lee!

• Love 4

Wow Alex is really into quilting?!!  Had like 3 follow up questions on that, whereas most of the more interesting things brought up he moves on and is all, "Good to have you here with us"

I knew FJ but didn't know how to spell triscuit.  In fact seeing it written correctly it finally dawned on me tonight, "OH!!!  Like BISCUIT, but TRISCUIT!"  I've honestly never given much thought to triscuits beyond just knowing they exist. 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wow Alex is really into quilting?!!  Had like 3 follow up questions on that, whereas most of the more interesting things brought up he moves on and is all, "Good to have you here with us"

I knew FJ but didn't know how to spell triscuit.  In fact seeing it written correctly it finally dawned on me tonight, "OH!!!  Like BISCUIT, but TRISCUIT!"  I've honestly never given much thought to triscuits beyond just knowing they exist. 

There was a movie called How to Make an American Quilt which is about a group of quilters who all tell their stories, and at the end you see how the stories are reflected in the squares they sewed. I wonder if Alex was fishing for a story along those lines.

As for "triscuits", I'm pretty sure the clue did say they were baked three times. The name is a play on "biscuit," which is French for "twice cooked." (Pronounce with appropriate Alex Trebek French accent.) 

• Love 5

Glad Lee won again, but I liked Marilyn & Ryan too. Ryan was a good player but was just there. When he smiled after FJ his whole face lit up beautifully, & he obviously has a good sense of humor if he refers to his Aussie wife as being from the south. And yes, I complain when contestants show too much or too little personality..lol

Speaking of being from the South, tuna noodle casserole is definitely not a thing down here, and really, casseroles in general are not a thing. I have never even eaten green bean casserole! Dr Toothbrush ruins cooks mac 'n' cheese with a can of tuna and a can of peas stirred in <gak> so I guess that is his Northern family's version of TNC. Still, I somehow got the answer right. 

TS I got were whale/wail, gorilla/guerrilla, Mt. Everest. FJ was an instaget because of "tri", but I did not realize they have been around for so long.  As a Saints & LSU

fan (and LSU alumnus), I loved the Drew Brees & Shaq clues. 

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Alex, why would Lee bet way more than $2,000 and possibly lose?  STFU.

FJ was an instaget.  Three = tri = Triscuit.

Yes to both, although I could see myself pulling a Cliff Claven with a Snack Foods category!

2 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Aww, I was rooting for Marilyn. But with that snarky  “Let’s end the misery for 2” – now Lee and I can totally be friends.

Me too! I went from "eh, I'm good with any of them winning" to "let's go Lee!" after that comment. 

3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

There was a movie called How to Make an American Quilt which is about a group of quilters who all tell their stories, and at the end you see how the stories are reflected in the squares they sewed. I wonder if Alex was fishing for a story along those lines.

I loved that movie back in the day. Wonder if it is on Netflix...

• Love 5

My mom *never* made a casserole.  And hated stuff made with canned soup. We never had "Jell-O Salad" either. I must've had a deprived childhood.  LOL.

I got FJ immediately, even though I was eating the store-brand "Woven Wheat" crackers at the time. Sometimes, when Triscuits are on sale, they end up being cheaper than the store brand, so I'll get them.  "End the misery" was great! I love that guy.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

As a Saints & LSU fan (and LSU alumnus), I loved the Drew Brees & Shaq clues. 

This category was two of my worst topics put together: Sports and American colleges. I was proud that I had heard of at least one athlete in each clue. And I guessed Columbia right!

When I was a kid, I learned the word guerrilla from the movie Captain Ron,  where someone mis-hearing guerrilla as gorilla was a plot point. Funny the things that stick with you! I barely remember that movie, but guerrilla/gorilla stuck with me. So I got that one instantly!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

As for "triscuits", I'm pretty sure the clue did say they were baked three times. The name is a play on "biscuit," which is French for "twice cooked." 

I didn't know that! Very interesting.

• Love 2

Triscuits have never been a cracker I enjoy... and when I saw them listed on the foods most likely to contain glyphosates (the weed killer, aka not-great-for-human-consumption), along with Goldfish and Cheerios, I felt vindicated. You probably have to eat several boxes for them to derail your system... and yet, why take the chance?

If anyone is interested in a truly healthy cracker, check out the OhSheGlows site and look up Endurance Crackers... they're made of seeds and are delicious! They really do give you energy. As the author says, "Do you ever see a tired bird? I rest my case." (I make them on parchment paper for easy flipping and cleanup.)

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/31/endurance-crackers/

I enjoyed Gilbert, and I'm enjoying Lee. Hope he goes far!

p.s. first time I ever heard of TNC was on J!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

(Pronounce with appropriate Alex Trebek French accent.) 

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

;)

We had tuna casserole growing up and, thanks to this clue/answer, my husband made one last night which I proceeded to eat half of.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I ate a ton load of tuna casserole as a kid, and it was never EVER called TNC. In fact, it was never called tuna NOODLE casserole since the noodles were assumed, all casseroles contained egg noodles. That clue/question had to be written by some young'un who was not raised by Depression-era parents or lived during The Casserole Era. Casseroles were a main staple at all meals, at home, at church, brought for potlucks, gifted to people who had endured a loss. (Crushed potato chips baked on top of the TC -- tuna casserole! -- were "the tops" and considered fancy!)

ITA. I totally drew a blank on that one. I also never included "noodle".  I was very WTF with that clue.

• Love 2

I was all in when I saw Snack Foods as the FJ. I bet every dime in my bank. Then I was left totally stumped and couldn't come up with a single cracker name ... AS I SAT HERE EATING TRISCUITS out of their box. Yes, true story. Meanwhile, finally, an entire category with my name as subject and I was not one single clue. So disappointing. But as a fan of mountaineering and a student of Everest (I've read every book about it), the Death Zone on Everest was a no-brainer. Knowing that doesn't make up for missing Triscuit though.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Fex said:

This category was two of my worst topics put together: Sports and American colleges. I was proud that I had heard of at least one athlete in each clue. And I guessed Columbia right!

The Drew & Shaq clues were the only 2 I got right.  Definitely not in my wheelhouse. 

• Love 2

Yesterday's Boston broadcast had a crawler announcing that the Friday episode would air on Friday at the usual time.  This may not seem like big news, but in our market, that Friday time slot is for people talking about football.  They don't even move J! to their "other" station (which runs sitcom reruns) except rarely for a TOC finale or something.  When they preempt J! they may air it in the wee hours but I don't have a recorder.  (Belated thanks to whoever told us how to find it on Youtube.)  Anyway it is good news that we will get to see J! tonight and I hope it is a good game. [/whine]

• Love 4

Boo, hiss for Lee.  He seemed a bit out of it during the first round. Rachel has the potential for making me crazy with her swaying.

FJ took me a second, but only because I briefly blanked on the capital of Canada. 

I got tom-tom, mostly because that was the only double-named drum I could think of.  I also got The Old Curiosity Shop, Uncle Henry and the missed DD of teamster.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I got tom-tom, mostly because that was the only double-named drum I could think of.  I also got The Old Curiosity Shop, Uncle Henry and the missed DD of teamster.

Teamster -- all I could think was "carter".  Shame on me -- I was in the Teamsters Union for awhile, back in the 70's.  I wonder if "carter" would have been accepted.  I don't recall the precise wording.

Got Thomas Hardy and The Olde Curiosity Shop -- as a former King fan, am ashamed to have blanked on Mr. Jingles. 

• Love 5

I was so irritated by Rachel's swaying and arm waving that I didn't shout "TEAMSTER!" at my teevee as I usually do since I didn't want her to hear me and answer that DD. FJ was the stupidest ever, like what other country's capital would have an Algonquin name? I was sorry to see Lee go, he (and Gilbert) were two fine players. I'm hoping Rachel is a one and done or I'm gonna have to get a bunch of Dramamine to make it through more episodes featuring her.

• Love 7

I sure thought Lee would stick around longer, but Rachel got off to a great start. I didn't notice her swaying, but now that I now it's there, I'm sure it will be all I see Monday. I was just excited to have 2 fellow curly haired woman rocking the ringlets. I knew Lee was a history teacher, and the class he is teaching now sounds fun. 

Loved the snarky shout out to Matthew McConawhatever's stoned, naked bongo playing in the percussion category, and I have to admit that I would have done better in the Serial Killers category if it had been about killers as shown on Discovery ID or written about by Ann Rule.  

TS I got were tom toms, London, Old Curiosity Shoppe, Uncle Henry, ANZAC. I don't suppose stationary-er or "the guy who wrote Tess" would have been accepted. FJ was & a $200 clue at best. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

FJ was a $200 clue at best. 

Right. If they wanted to ask about Ottawa, you'd think Trebek himself, with knowledge of all things Canadian, could have come up with a less obvious clue. They might as well have just put "CANADA" as the clue given the category.

• Love 4

I thought FJ was painfully easy...as long as you know the capital of Canada.  I'm a huge fan of Thomas Hardy, but I can't decide if he or Dickens is the King of Coincidence.  I'm embarrassed to say I missed Teamster - I said Drover - as my Daddy was a life-long Teamster. The only time he was ever out of work was when the Longshoremen went on strike & no cargo was coming to put on the trucks he'd drive.

• Love 4
On 1/18/2018 at 6:18 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

Aww, I was rooting for Marilyn. But with that snarky  “Let’s end the misery for 2” – now Lee and I can totally be friends.

Yep, that sold me on him too.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:43 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

My mom *never* made a casserole.  And hated stuff made with canned soup. We never had "Jell-O Salad" either. I must've had a deprived childhood.  LOL.

I remember joining a church (no church background when I grew up) and asking what to bring to the pot luck. The sweet lady looked at me and said "Well bring your Jello salad, dear." My husband and I had a good laugh over that one - never made a jello salad in my life.

I also missed tuna noodle casserole. I endured it once or twice when Mom was being creative, but certainly never acronymed it. (yes, I made up that verb).

Edited by Clanstarling

I'm glad Lee won again. Sarah's interview made me chuckle. I thought it was a good game. 

My gets were tom tom, Indiana, Ramirez, Olde Curiosity Shoppe, Stationer as a guess, the Teamster DD, Mr. Jingles, and final Jeopardy. 

27 minutes ago, teebax said:

I'm glad Lee won again.

What chu talkie' about, Willis? Rachel won.

I'll miss Lee.

I got tom tom, stationer, Thomas Hardy, and the DD teamster. I couldn't quite come up with Manny's last name, and only got as far as Martinez.

I also got the FJ, though I admit it took me a minute. I was thinking about state capitals at first, but then quickly straightened myself out.

Why did Serial Killers get such a big laugh from the audience? I know Alex said, "Oh my gosh," but that didn't warrant such a reaction. My guess is that someone physically reacted on stage. I think it may have been Sarah. I liked her sense of humor. Uncle That Guy.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Why did Serial Killers get such a big laugh from the audience? I know Alex said, "Oh my gosh," but that didn't warrant such a reaction. My guess is that someone physically reacted on stage. 

I think it was because the reveal of the category came immediately after Alex said to Sarah, "Maybe there will be some categories here more to your liking," or something similar. And then that comment segued into him saying, "Serial killers." I mean, I laughed too.

"Sure, Alex, I love serial killers, they're the best."

(He does know the categories ahead of time, right? Well, typical Alex... awkward conversations are his thing.)

• Love 1

No idea why we never had TNC.

I know why I never have - my Dad had this obsession with how horrible it was.  He just refused to eat it.  Though, I don't think my Mom was that upset she never had to make it. 

I got Ottawa!  Ottawa being the Capital of Canada was one of the facts I learned by studying before I went on the show.  Hopefully I knew it before then but that's how I remember it. 

No Friday Jeopardy for us, as the station decided we needed to see the glitz & glamor of the auto show charity preview (TBF, they do it every year, and some of it is interesting. It is a good cause as well)

We ate a LOT of TNC when I was a kid. Catholic meatless Fridays were a thing back then and my mother hated all fish except canned tuna and Mrs. Pauls Fish Sticks. 

M.Darcy, I'll bet your dad ate a lot of TNC when he was a kid, which is why he hated it and thereby deprived you of a fine American culinary experience. TNC was a cheap meal in the day, cost about a buck fifty to make, or less if you bought on sale, and that includes the crushed chips on top. You could feed a family of four with it, and have leftovers for the next night. Thinking about it now, I could make one for about $1.50 these days, too. I have all the ingredients but cannot bring myself to put them together. Bon appétit, Miss Chevious!

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, helpmerhonda said:

I got several TS:  tom tom, Indiana, Ramirez, Old Curiosity Shop, Thomas Hardy, and stationer.

I'm going to give Rachel another day before I form an opinion. I didn't mind her too much today.

I got Anzac as well.  Should've gotten Uncle Henry but didn't, and am deeply ashamed as a huge fan of the original Star Wars trilogy to not have gotten Uncle Owen.

43 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

my mother hated all fish except canned tuna and Mrs. Pauls Fish Sticks. 

I grew up the seafood-hating child on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and all I will eat is canned tuna, but the thought of tuna casserole makes me ill.  So glad my mother never made it.