Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Mine occurs when I turn my head to the left. I can't just turn my head to look at the alarm clock; I either have to pick up the clock, blindly groping for it, or turn my entire body. My doctor explained that my inner ear is like a snowglobe with calcium crystals. When I move a certain way, it's like shaking the snowglobe and I'm dizzy until the "snow" settles back down. I'm afraid to try that Epley maneuver - I don't wanna get dizzy while I'm doing it. 

Yes, I also have to turn my entire body to look at the bedside clock. The maneuver will make you dizzy, but you stay in a position until the spinning stops. Mine never went away because I guess there are four areas of your ear that can be off, and I had multiples. So they would maneuver one back in place and it would knock another out. Kind of like this game where you have to roll multiple ball bearings into different holes at the same time - ha!

Very frustrating, but - back on topic - going through it helped me get a FJ answer!

• Love 3
On 6/22/2018 at 9:19 PM, Spunkygal said:

One of my former coworkers has a personal rule. She never has more personal items in her office than what can fit in a shoe box, hence the Shoe Box Rule. She has no family pics or personal docs, no decorative items, just some travel size items like hand lotion, toothpaste and brush and Advil. She is ready to go! 

And now she's a former coworker? Sounds like she was ready to go?

On 6/23/2018 at 1:39 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

It does!  There was a big kerfuffle a year or two ago when they changed the Sleepytime cover and removed the cozy fireplace.  So many people complained that they restored the original artwork.

Sleepytime Extra is the best!  It's just more difficult to find than the original Sleepytime.  

• Love 4

I didn't find anything annoying about Kelly, though I agree she probably won't have a long run. At least now we can stop hearing about Canadian champs, unless another Canadian shows up tomorrow and wins.

I completely blanked on FJ.

I did get the Declaration of Independence, The Wicker Man (just got through teaching Julius Caesar and kids are always fascinated and horrified by this custom), Florida, Robert Osborne (sob--no TCM buffs there), Saturn, Medea, and the Go-Gos. In place of "porridge," I wondered if they would have accepted "Maypo." Here is a link--I was going to add "in case it's Before Your Time," but apparently it still exists.

I was puzzled by the reference to "Rock, Paper, Scissors" in the Rochambeau clue, then I looked it up and found out that an alternate name for the game is Roshambo! You learn the most interesting things on this show!

• Love 7

Kelly annoyed me, too.  She looked so glum most of the time, and leaned (though middle guy swayed -- not sure which is worse), and of course, the dreaded "hundrit".  I still didn't notice a lisp with Jordan, though.  It would not have hurt my feelings if he'd won again.  I guess he had a disadvantage with FJ, being Canadian and all.  FJ took me a second or two, but I got it in plenty of time.  No idea why two of them would have come up with Maine.  I wonder what European island they were thinking of?

9 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I was puzzled by the reference to "Rock, Paper, Scissors" in the Rochambeau clue, then I looked it up and found out that an alternate name for the game is Roshambo! You learn the most interesting things on this show!

Thanks for figuring that out!  I was confused about that, too.  I got artesian, Osborne (*sniff*), kidney, and The Go-Go's.  And hey, look at that -- a DD at the lowest value clue! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Maine?!!!!  Could someone explain how, not one but two, contestants came up with Maine for FJ??? I thought it was an instaget!

I came here to ask the same thing. Jordan is Canadian (at least I think he is; Alex really needs to mention it more when this happens) so I can excuse him, but what was Ben's deal? 

Between the Jordan's lisp and Kelly's apparent misery at being there, I was rooting for Ben to win.

That female voice you heard screaming, "Oh my god, you fools, choose adverbs" was me. I can't remember the last time a word category was left for last. I thought most J contestants enjoyed categories like that. Of course, for all my bluster I whiffed on "hereafter" and slapped my forehead when Alex gave the answer.

My gets were Declaration of Independence, Florida, Saturn (I said Saturn after the second missed guess, so this may not count as a get), and final in an instaget. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Ugh!  Can I please get a contestant that I like?  One that I can actually root for to win?  Is that asking too damn much, show?

I think I tuned out after no one got Declaration of Independence.  I certainly hope Kelly isn't a history teacher. Sorry, she seems a bit dim.  <not sorry>

I do remember getting Go-Go's.  I got as far as Robert, but could not pull Osborne from my brain.  Think they would have given it to me?

FJ took me a split second before the light dawned.  Duh!!  Guernsey in the house doesn't have quite the same ring as Jersey in the house!!

Edited by lb60
  • Love 6

Oh, no!  It's "Hunret, Hundrit, Hundert" Kelly for the win. 

WTH!?  Ben sang with The Stones and only got a measly "good for you"?  That's worth four drinks at least.

36 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Omg was there not more than one Allman? Maybe even brothers, maybe?

Yeah, I distinctly remember Kit Allman.

I got Declaration of Independence, Robert Osborne, Mika (which Alex pronounced Yuka?) Brzezinski (DD), and Saturn.

I had nothing for FJ and even ran the east coast states in my mind.  How could I have missed that?  Boo hiss!!

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I did get the Declaration of Independence, The Wicker Man (just got through teaching Julius Caesar and kids are always fascinated and horrified by this custom), Florida, Robert Osborne (sob--no TCM buffs there), Saturn, Medea, and the Go-Gos.

With the Declaration of Independence, the founding fathers realized they might have just signed their own death warrants. 

Got all those along artesian (the province in question is Artois) Zbigniew Brzezinski, and kidney. I didn't realize Robert Osborne had died. That's too bad. 

As for "Head over Heels," I first thought of the other 80s song "Head over Heels" by Tears for Fears, but that's not a girl group and then remembered Belinda Carlisle singing it. 

As for FJ, I got that too. I wasn't sure exactly where Jersey island was, but I knew it was somewhere in Europe. I thought that was off the coast of Scotland, but I had confused it with Orkney. Nonetheless, it's still a European island. 

3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yeah, I distinctly remember Kit Allman.

They left him at the Whipping Post. :(

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

.....Mika (which Alex pronounced Yuka?) Brzezinski (DD).....

No, it was her father Zbigniew.  Mika, I would have gotten.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, lb60 said:

No, it was her father Zbigniew.  Mika, I would have gotten.  

Oh.  They wanted her father?  I thought it said something along the lines of "This Morning Show host" so I thought they wanted her.

• Love 1

I wanted a BMS for Allman, but Duane has been dead since the 70s.  Before all the contestants time. I had no idea as to FJ! so I understand the wild ass guess of Maine. Nobody knowing Robert Osborne was *sniff*

• Love 3

FWIW, Rochambeau was yet another answer where knowing Hamilton would have helped.

And I was randomly thinking of states, didn't get to New Jersey, and said Maine, too! No good reason why.

• Love 3

Not a great but night I did get Emirates, Massachusetts, kidney, orally, and the FJ New Jersey. Must have been too busy about dreaming up a menu for the orchestra tomorrow night (or too much pain). 

• Love 2
(edited)

Oddly, my first thought on FJ was Maine, too. I realized immediately that it was wrong, though. So I quickly ran through early states, figuring it must be from when they were still naming things after European places. New Jersey came to mind pretty quickly - plenty of time to write it down.

I also got the Declaration of Independence, the Wicker Man, Robert Osbourne, Medea, and Midgard. Hopefully "Kelly Hundrit" will be one and done. She was really lucky that Jordan had a brain fart there at the end.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2

I guessed New Hampshire for FJ. Figured Hampshire sheep came from Britain so why not. And yes, Maine did go through my head as an alternate (wrong) answer. I did discover that there is a European island named Stromboli. I bought a stromboli once when I was in Philadelphia.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yeah, but only one died within the past year. I forgot the category and said, "Duane."  I, too, thought the Brz..ski clue wanted Mika's name. Closed captioning said Zbigniew, so I knew I wasn't mis-hearing AT; I was just puzzled.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I thought it said something along the lines of "This Morning Show host" so I thought they wanted her.

It did, but the quote they referenced was Mika talking about her father.  I found the clue slightly convoluted. 

20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I bought a stromboli once when I was in Philadelphia.

No cheesesteak?  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Thanks for doing the work. I was going to google as well because I didn't understand.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Oh.  They wanted her father?  I thought it said something along the lines of "This Morning Show host" so I thought they wanted her.

Yeah, I'm confused, too. Let me rewatch that part... For one thing, the category was "Gone A Year Already," so that rules out the hosts of the show. The clue: The co-host of "Morning Joe" called this national security advisor an "inspiring, loving & devoted father." 

My gets were artesian, Robert Osbourne, kidneys, and The Go-Go's, as well as New Jersey.

How am I going to learn the difference betw Greek and Roman gods?

3 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Can't remember the clue, but would they have accepted oatmeal instead of porridge?

No. The category was something like "PO"-pourri.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Being British, whenever I hear Allman (Brothers) I can never get my mind past Marc Almond ("Tainted Love").  Even though he doesn't have a brother.  Yes, I just checked, hangs head in shame.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

In place of "porridge," I wondered if they would have accepted "Maypo." Here is a link--I was going to add "in case it's Before Your Time," but apparently it still exists.

THAT's what Mr. Clanstarling was probably trying to say - instead he said "Alpo" and we had a good laugh. He has the highlights today - as the only other thing I have to say is that though he rarely comments on the contestants looks, he looked at the new guy and said "He's Waldo from 'Where's Waldo.'" And then I couldn't unsee it.

• Love 9
(edited)
14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

THAT's what Mr. Clanstarling was probably trying to say - instead he said "Alpo" and we had a good laugh

Tell Mr. Clanstarling he gave me a good laugh too. I remember Maypo and the cartoon tv commercials hawking it. Plus I have several cans of Alpo in my cupboard. For the dogs, smarties, I'm not THAT poor nor desperately hungry. Yet.

15 hours ago, lb60 said:

No cheesesteak?  

In all the times I've been to Philly, I've never had a cheesesteak. And never even thought of one while there. I hate myself.

Warning: Get ready for another Canadian player this week.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Can't remember the clue, but would they have accepted oatmeal instead of porridge?

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

No. The category was something like "PO"-pourri.

Then how about poatmeal?

• Love 9

For FJ...you're not going to believe this...even I don't believe it...I guessed New York because I remembered "Anita" singing "I like the isle of Manhattan" in West Side Story. Worse, I briefly LIVED in New Jersey!

Speaking of WWS, I had an accident with my bottom teeth and was having partial dentures made and had an audition for a role in my Community Theatre's production of Oliver! The director said not to worry about my missing teeth. He promised no one [else] would be there. Hah. I guess the producer, the asst. director, the pianist and the choreographer don't count. I had planned to sing a song from Candide (one of my favorite musicals) but at the last minute I channelled Natalie Wood and sang, "I feel pretty, I feel pretty...." 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, but only one died within the past year. I forgot the category and said, "Duane."  I, too, thought the Brz..ski clue wanted Mika's name. Closed captioning said Zbigniew, so I knew I wasn't mis-hearing AT; I was just puzzled.

Maybe in the judges' chamber, they have a multi-volume, very specific set of rules detailing when you need to specify a first name and when you don't.  Then all this would make sense to us mere mortals.  (Or maybe not.  I seem to remember them accepting "Johnson" for "this president..." clue.)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

Maine?!!!!  Could someone explain how, not one but two, contestants came up with Maine for FJ??? I thought it was an instaget!

Best I could come up with is Mainland, an island in Shetland, Scotland.  But that's quite a stretch because it too doesn't have "island" in its name.

• Love 1

I can't figure out how to do the multiple quotes from previous posts, but I will chime in and say that my answer to the breakfast cereal was Maypo.  I'm sure it would be ruled incorrect, but after the commercial break I would have been given back what I lost after the judges Googled Maypo.  Perhaps Maypo was before their time.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Jesse said:

FWIW, Rochambeau was yet another answer where knowing Hamilton would have helped.

And I was randomly thinking of states, didn't get to New Jersey, and said Maine, too! No good reason why.

It also helps to live in Williamsburg, VA.  You learn a lot of interesting tidbits about that period of American History here.

I couldn't come up with New Jersey, and I actually visited Jersey for a few days less than a year ago!  Gorgeous island, by the way.  Anticipating the movie, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which will be on Netflix Aug. 10!

What year was the Wicker Man movie clue?  I saw the original from 1973 and didn't like it at all.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, opus said:

Then how about poatmeal?

I'm sorry, but it's goatmeal.

I also said Maine for FJ for no real reason other than that I thought of Isle of Man and thought it might have come from that.  New Jersey is obvious in hindsight.  It was really not a good game for me last night.

I laughed at new champ saying "hundrit" all the time - knew it would be mentioned here:)

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

It also helps to live in Williamsburg, VA.

I lived there for a bit, and visit often, including at least one drive on Rochambeau Dr. per trip (mmmmm, Pierce's Pitt BBQ), but I still had no idea.  As I've said many times, though, history is not my strong suit.  Despite having lived in the Historic Triangle.  :)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

It also helps to live in Williamsburg, VA.  You learn a lot of interesting tidbits about that period of American History here.

I couldn't come up with New Jersey, and I actually visited Jersey for a few days less than a year ago!  Gorgeous island, by the way.  Anticipating the movie, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which will be on Netflix Aug. 10!

I didn't know that. Now I am excited. Loved that book.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Trey said:

I laughed at new champ saying "hundrit" all the time - knew it would be mentioned here:)

I never notice when a contestant pronounces it that way. I guess it doesn't bother me since it doesn't catch my ear.

• Love 7

I was wondering if Roshambo might be more regionally known and found this article that says it's more common on the West Coast and especially the SF Bay Area. Guess that's why it was an insta-get for me? For FJ, I was clueless. For some reason, I was stuck thinking the state name would be identical to an island name name and completely ignored the New * states. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

How am I going to learn the difference betw Greek and Roman gods?

Planets all have Roman god names except Uranus is the Greek god of the sky.  

Otherwise, 

Mercury = Hermes (messenger)
Venus = Aphrodite (love)
Mars = Ares (War)
Jupiter = Zeus (King)
Saturn = Cronus (Agriculture / Harvest)
Pluto = Hades (god of the dead)

• Love 6

Kelly deserved to lose with her bad FJ wager! She only needed to bet $10,000 to beat the other contestants (if they bet everything and got it right), but no, she bets $17000 and loses.

• Love 20
9 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Kelly deserved to lose with her bad FJ wager! She only needed to bet $10,000 to beat the other contestants (if they bet everything and got it right), but no, she bets $17000 and loses.

Thanks. I thought she over bet, but I was too lazy to do the math.

• Love 4

Andrew won me over at the last minute with his "How did that happen?" reaction to his win. The rest of the time he seemed bored and grumpy about the whole game.

I guessed Indonesia for FJ, wondering if "Dhakarta" might somehow be an alternate spelling for Djakarta.

I knew Margaret Mead, augur, tapenade, Benazir Bhutto, and economical. 

Kit Carson!!! Not to be confused with Prime Minister Kit Trudeau.

• Love 11
(edited)

Shoutout to all of us PTV J posters and The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers. With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers!

New champ was hilarious. He was so frustrated through the entire game after finding out being on real Jeopardy isn't so easy, no matter how smart he was at home. Then he falls into being the champ because the current champ is a dumbass who can't add or subtract. Talk about lucky strikes.

I did notice the current champ quit saying "hunnert" and just went with the number. So thank you for that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10

Ugh. The new champ reminds me of Taran Killam playing a smarmy lawyer character. Until the end, he acted like someone was forcing him to play the game.

• Love 8