Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

If only Rebecca had gotten the Spike Lee response for $2,000, she would have went into final with a lead ($23,800 to William's $22,400) and, as both got it right, would have won.  It was that close that one question would have made the difference.  Getting the heart/kidney response wrong allowing William to get it right also shifted the score and changed the final result.  Was rooting for Rebecca, obviously.

Rockefeller should be a be more specific.  There are a lot of them.

Don't understand Alex acting like winning by a dollar means it was close, like that amount just happened in a vacuum and is not due to someone betting enough to win.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I had no clue on FJ. I loved Greek mythology in high school but have lost most memory of the details. On top of that I think Thetis was the goddess in Clash of the Titans with the cursed son (Calibos?) who was trying to break up Perseus and Andromeda, so I made the very poor guess of Calibos(sp?). Oh how the mind can wander...

That can happen if you learned most of your mythology from the movies. That subplot in CotT about Thetis and Calibos was created out of whole cloth. But I did not know that Thetis had other children that she tried to make immortal. Another fun fact learned from Jeopardy! But whenever Achilles comes up, I think of that college tournament on Wheel of Fortune where the guy had the whole puzzle "Mythological Hero Achilles" revealed and he just had to read it off--then lost when he pronounced the name "A-chill-iss."

• Love 7

Poor Rebecca. And the FJ was totally up her alley. (And an insta-get for me, too.) But yeah, at least it was a reasonably exciting game. I was surprised that my "pre-guess" of JRR Tolkien didn't come up in the Letter Men, considering how easy most of the clues have been. They could have asked what his initials stood for, which might have been a little harder or about something more obscure, like his poetry. But I guess they figured CS Lewis was a tiny bit less well known.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

But that’s how you pronounce  Worcestershire: “Wooster.”

No, you pronounce it Woostersher or Woostersheer.  Not just Wooster.  Just like Gloucestershire is pronounced Glostersher or Glostersheer.  I've never heard the "sher" left off.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Surprise miss was protocol from HTTP. I guess I'm on the computer too much.

I had no idea what that meant.  Learn something new everyday.

13 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got protocol, Berlin, and Howard Dean.

I got Berlin, Howard Dean and Spike Lee.

10 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I had no clue on FJ. I loved Greek mythology in high school but have lost most memory of the details. On top of that I think Thetis was the goddess in Clash of the Titans with the cursed son (Calibos?) who was trying to break up Perseus and Andromeda, so I made the very poor guess of Calibos(sp?). Oh how the mind can wander...

Indeed, and played by Maggie Smith.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kathira said:

Poor Rebecca. And the FJ was totally up her alley. (And an insta-get for me, too.) But yeah, at least it was a reasonably exciting game. I was surprised that my "pre-guess" of JRR Tolkien didn't come up in the Letter Men, considering how easy most of the clues have been. They could have asked what his initials stood for, which might have been a little harder or about something more obscure, like his poetry. But I guess they figured CS Lewis was a tiny bit less well known.

I pre-guessed e e cummings, and tried to make him the author of The Waste Land even though I know better.

• Love 3

In Rebecca's defense, her first thought was probably the first successful heart transplant by Dr. Christian Barnard, which had far more publicity than the first successful kidney transplant. And it could have been a deceased twin. Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what she was thinking;)

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Don't understand Alex acting like winning by a dollar means it was close, like that amount just happened in a vacuum and is not due to someone betting enough to win.

He is so weird at FJ. Besides that, the distant third-place person is either "out of luck" or could "win the whole thing," depending on how his mood is swinging that day. This game was a good example of how the cards fall sometimes with the money bets.

57 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never heard the "sher" left off.

Until Jeopardy.

5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

then lost when he pronounced the name "A-chill-iss."

Flamenco, flamingo.

9 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Rockefeller should be a be more specific.  There are a lot of them.

Like the brothers Kit and Carson Rockefeller.

11 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Rebecca seems to have been playing just fine until I tuned in tonight - hope I didn't jinx her. She's a very strong player but that kid from Tufts was a beast.

It was a battle of the buzzers. The poor third player never had a chance. I had no investment in Rebecca so was fine with you jinxing her in favor of William.

33 minutes ago, Trey said:

In Rebecca's defense, her first thought was probably the first successful heart transplant by Dr. Christian Barnard,

Heart is the first organ that comes into mind for transplant, then "two" from the clue registers in the brain, which means kidney. Rebecca was too fast on the buzzer and spoke before the kidney caught up with her.

• Love 10

I just heard on the news that Ken's last name (yes that Ken, Barbie-the-doll's boyfriend) is Carson. Ken Carson. Brother to ... any guesses? Just so you guys are prepared when those clues turn up on the show, Barbie's last name is Roberts.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

That can happen if you learned most of your mythology from the movies. That subplot in CotT about Thetis and Calibos was created out of whole cloth. But I did not know that Thetis had other children that she tried to make immortal. Another fun fact learned from Jeopardy! But whenever Achilles comes up, I think of that college tournament on Wheel of Fortune where the guy had the whole puzzle "Mythological Hero Achilles" revealed and he just had to read it off--then lost when he pronounced the name "A-chill-iss."

Not to mention, there were two versions of CotT.  I didn't see either one, but the way they've been doing remakes lately, I wouldn't doubt that there might have been some differences between the two as far as certain aspects of the mythology are concerned.  Who knows...maybe they were exactly the same?

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

No, you pronounce it Woostersher or Woostersheer.  Not just Wooster.  Just like Gloucestershire is pronounced Glostersher or Glostersheer.  I've never heard the "sher" left off.

I'm with you. 

Worcestershire=

Worce = woos

ster = ster

shire = sher or sheer (I've heard the last syllable pronounced both ways.  

I used it in my grandmother's herb dip recipe.  Never heard anyone call it Wooster sauce and when I give out the recipe (rarely), no one ever says, "Huh?"  :) 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Surprise miss was protocol from HTTP. I guess I'm on the computer too much.

Yeah, I was going through the first three letters and needed to refresh my cache on the fourth.

18 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I am not a mythology fan, but somehow I put it together. Maybe because of Jodi Taylor's time traveler books.

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Heart is the first organ that comes into mind for transplant, then "two" from the clue registers in the brain, which means kidney. Rebecca was too fast on the buzzer and spoke before the kidney caught up with her.

That's exactly how I figured it happened, but now I'm visualizing a kidney with legs, running after her. :D

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

I used it in my grandmother's herb dip recipe.  Never heard anyone call it Wooster sauce and when I give out the recipe (rarely), no one ever says, "Huh?"  :) 

Recipe please. Who knows, it might come up in the Gramma's A Dip category and I need to be prepared.

• Love 4

The Two Fat Ladies say Worcester sauce here. (If I haven't linked it right, it's at about 9:38.)  I think it's one of those words you can pronounce any number of ways and not be wrong.

One of the happiest moments of my life happened when I switched on the TV and saw the TFL sitting on a stone wall in a place that looked very familiar to me.  It turned out that they were staying at--and cooking in the kitchen of--the same B&B we'd bumbled onto in a drive through the Lake District.  This was the episode where they'd gone to some kind of motorcycle rally.  The thought that I might've slept in the same bed as either Jennifer or Clarissa still makes me smile.

Sorry to interrupt the recipe exchange.  Proceed.  I'm going to watch another episode of the college tournament, Lord knows why.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Please Jeopardy no more spoken song lyrics that category was awful.

That was about the only category the players weren't great at. Honestly, I would have been tut-tutting if they had known all those goofy lyrics. Eric's response of "Johnny Cash" for the "hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurting" wasn't so ridiculous when you consider Cash's last song was "Hurt."

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Sammich said:

My show was preempted by the death of Barbara Bush. What was the FJ answer and who won?

Me, too! They had just done the first guy (Alex?) getting the (to me) very obvious FJ of the Nutcracker, and then they cut to the news. I'm like, sure, Barbara Bush was a great lady, but she was 92 and had been ill. Couldn't they have waited a minute until all three responses were revealed? Made me feel positively curmudgeonly. You kids, get off my lawn and don't interrupt my Jeopardy.

Glad to hear Hannah won, though.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

The thought that I might've slept in the same bed as either Jennifer or Clarissa still makes me smile.

I guess there's sleeping in the bed Lincoln slept in and there's sleeping in the bed TFLs slept in.

20 minutes ago, Sammich said:

My show was preempted by the death of Barbara Bush. What was the FJ answer and who won?

Oh, crap. I just watched national news and there was no mention. I'm so sorry to hear that. RIP Mrs. Bush. She was a gratious lady.

8 minutes ago, Bazinga said:
17 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

spoken song lyrics that category was awful

...because of Alex.

But mainly because those lyrics aren't my idea of lyrics. During that category all I could think was how easy it would be to be a song writer these days. Rihanna would make me a billionaire singing over and over the single word I picked.

• Love 3

Congrats to Hannah!  Thank goodness that douchey Thatcher didn't win.  Don't encourage contestants to act like asses in their intros, Alex.

I got Madam Secretary and appaloosa.

Could FJ have been any easier?

RIP,  Mrs. Bush.  Apparently she was drinking bourbon yesterday.  My kind of woman!

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Me, too! They had just done the first guy (Alex?) getting the (to me) very obvious FJ of the Nutcracker, and then they cut to the news. I'm like, sure, Barbara Bush was a great lady, but she was 92 and had been ill. Couldn't they have waited a minute until all three responses were revealed? Made me feel positively curmudgeonly. You kids, get off my lawn and don't interrupt my Jeopardy.

I was also happy Hannah won! I thought The Nutcracker was the answer. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I guess there's sleeping in the bed Lincoln slept in and there's sleeping in the bed TFLs slept in.

I assume only one of them slept in it.  I don't think they were that kind of close.

Another yay for Hannah here!  I really love seeing female players betting to win.  That's a big change from the past.  Used to drive me crazy to see someone lose for wagering timidly.

RIP, Mrs. Bush.

• Love 5

I hate that Trebek gave the TS answer of Cypress is known for copper like everyone in the world knows that, especially Trebek himself, and too bad you three morons don't have MY Trebekian brain.

Appaloosa horse of course. That was the first breed of horse I bought when I was 15. You know ... just 10 years ago. *cough*

I see Thatcher was still weaving up on that box. He must have at least three sweaters knitted by now from his two appearances.

I'd like Eric from Dartmouth to explain to me how The Wire is like Othello. Or anyone: Please do it for him.

1 minute ago, Mondrianyone said:

I assume only one of them slept in it.  I don't think they were that kind of close.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

34 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

RIP,  Mrs. Bush.  Apparently she was drinking bourbon yesterday.  My kind of woman!

Yes. A life well lived.

• Love 5

Was today the first day of the college tournament where Alex didn't say "Ooh, you'll like that!" after announcing a category that he apparently thought sounded like something young people would like? Or did he do it and I tuned it out? I always want someone to say, "Hey, Trebek! You have no idea what I like, so shut it!"

• Love 7

Kudos to the kids for blazing through the game today (yesterday was pretty good, too).  With time to kill, they had three choices:

1. Have Alex read the fine print on payouts
  2. Have Alex say random French words
  3. Do something interesting.

Over Alex's objections (he was strongly in favor of #2), they went with #1.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Thank goodness that douchey Thatcher didn't win.  Don't encourage contestants to act like asses in their intros, Alex.

A million times this!  For both sentences!  Thatcher bugged me to no end, and I couldn't even listen to the other guy's story because of the vocal fry thing he had going on.  Yay, Hannah!

FJ was an instaget, and I'm glad Hannah didn't get scared by the category.  It momentarily worried me, but then I remembered that this was the College Tournament, and knew it wouldn't be anything too obscure.  I also got silver, copper (thanks, Chemistry!), Appaloosa, the surprising TS of Daisy Ridley, and whisper campaign. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Not for me. Heart transplants are rare, kidney transplants are very common. I didn't even register that the clue referred to the number "two" until it was pointed out here; I immediately said kidney.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

My station cut to the news during the commercial break immediately prior to FJ, and I was equally annoyed - you couldn't have waited three minutes?! But no, they had to finish the news bulletin by the time "The Voice" comes on at 8.

Luckily I have another channel that doesn't pre-empt for anything, so I was able to catch FJ, which was an instaget for me.

• Love 3

I cleaned up in that lyrics category, but I missed the Wiggle one. Jason Derulo did have a song called Wiggle, so I answered the same way Thatcher (I hate that name) did, even though I knew the lyrics weren't right. I'm a shameless lover of pop music, and Rihanna is one of my favorites, so that was easy. 

I teach high school, so it's easy for me to keep up with today's music even though I'm an 80s girl through and through. Our parents bitched about our music too, so I try to be open minded about what those darn kids are listening to. Other than auto tuned stuff, I like a lot of it. 

The TV category was hard for me. I knew This is Us and Madame Secretary. That's it. There are way too many TV options now for me to keep up. Most of my students don't even watch TV; they watch YouTube videos instead. 

FJ was ridiculously easy. I'll be happy when regular games return. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But mainly because those lyrics aren't my idea of lyrics. During that category all I could think was how easy it would be to be a song writer these days. Rihanna would make me a billionaire singing over and over the single word I picked.

Mine either. I was saying to Mr. Clanstarling that I spent most of the day listening to Jackson Browne (who I rediscovered in my old age), and these lyrics were garbage. But then, I remembered a few songs from my era with lyrics that were less than poetic, and sometimes repetitive.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

Mine either. I was saying to Mr. Clanstarling that I spent most of the day listening to Jackson Browne (who I rediscovered in my old age), and these lyrics were garbage. But then, I remembered a few songs from my era with lyrics that were less than poetic, and sometimes repetitive.

Brings to mind, "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I've got love in my tummy..."   Yeah, there were a few clunkers, but nothing as bad as that wiggle mess.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Brings to mind, "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I've got love in my tummy..."   Yeah, there were a few clunkers, but nothing as bad as that wiggle mess.

And the Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand." It was easy to sing along to though, so there's that. I listen to current music, including rap, but admit I don't "hear" the words. I'll have to look up that wiggle mess. I mean song. I've probably heard it, just didn't realize it. I recognize music, just not words.

19 minutes ago, Brookside said:

What is it about men/boys that they rock back and forth but women/girls are able to stand straight?  Is there some physiological explanation?  

I need the answer to this as well. I can't imagine swaying in the breeze if I were ever on that show.

• Love 3

Like many of you, my station cut away to report Barbara Bush's passing, but my channel cut away after announcing the category but i never got to hear the question and I was interested because it mentioned Russian culture and I married into a Russian family.

I came here but all I have found out  is the answer was Nutcracker, can someone please tell me what the clue was.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

Alex Trebek, you patronizing git - "You guys were so good today".

I wondered if he was trying to make them feel good in comparison to the previous game's scores (which to them had just happened), which were pretty darn high for 2/3 contestants. (I don't think they're sequestered at this point, now that wildcards slots are over, so I believe they saw the previous game.)

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

They were garbage, but the category was DEEP LYRICS. Picture sarcastic quotation marks (as opposed to the show's usual quotation marks) around "Deep." Maybe REAL DEEP LYRICS would have been a better name to indicate the lyrics were...not deep.

6 hours ago, Sammich said:

2 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Like many of you, my station cut away to report Barbara Bush's passing, but my channel cut away after announcing the category but i never got to hear the question and I was interested because it mentioned Russian culture and I married into a Russian family.

I came here but all I have found out  is the answer was Nutcracker, can someone please tell me what the clue was.

For instant gratification when you're wondering what Final Jeopardy was, see the links here:

This thread is pinned in the main Previously.tv Jeopardy forum. http://forums.previously.tv/forum/112-jeopardy/

• Love 4

I want Hannah's hair.  I used to HAVE Hannah's hair decades ago, but time has not been kind to it, and I'm one of the rare reds who went completely gray at an early age, and it's no longer thick.  Sigh.  But I immediately started cheering for her in memory of my younger self.

I guess I've been lucky and not encountered much male vocal fry before.  Holy crap, it's worse than the female version.  I couldn't understand a word he said; it sounded like he was talking through a clogged-up, rusted sieve.

Edited by EllenB
I like semicolons.
  • Love 5
On 4/16/2018 at 4:01 PM, illdoc said:

I believe that if the category is "Letter Men", you should have to give the initials! What's with "Lewis" being acceptable? They should have needed to say "CS Lewis", "JD Salinger", "TS Eliot". 

Okay I am dumb, I missed the intro to the category so I didn't realize until I read your post that was what the category was about! I did run it though.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

It was another great game, all 3 contestants over $20000. 

I had no clue on any of those things.  I am officially old and out of touch. 

Meant to say I had no clue on any of the song lyrics. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

Not to mention, there were two versions of CotT.  I didn't see either one, but the way they've been doing remakes lately, I wouldn't doubt that there might have been some differences between the two as far as certain aspects of the mythology are concerned.  Who knows...maybe they were exactly the same?

The more recent version with Liam Neeson bears very little resemblance to the original, and is even less based on actual Greek mythology.

13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

The Two Fat Ladies say Worcester sauce here. (If I haven't linked it right, it's at about 9:38.)  I think it's one of those words you can pronounce any number of ways and not be wrong.

One of the happiest moments of my life happened when I switched on the TV and saw the TFL sitting on a stone wall in a place that looked very familiar to me.  It turned out that they were staying at--and cooking in the kitchen of--the same B&B we'd bumbled onto in a drive through the Lake District.  This was the episode where they'd gone to some kind of motorcycle rally.  The thought that I might've slept in the same bed as either Jennifer or Clarissa still makes me smile.

Sorry to interrupt the recipe exchange.  Proceed.  I'm going to watch another episode of the college tournament, Lord knows why.

I never watched their show, so I never heard it that way.

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

What is it about men/boys that they rock back and forth but women/girls are able to stand straight?  Is there some physiological explanation?  

I probably rocked back and forth because I have trouble standing for a long time without switching my weight from foot to foot.  Not sure how noticeable it was, though.

• Love 2

I knew the lyrics of "wiggle wiggle wiggle," but couldn't remember the singer/group's name. I was picturing the music video, and I remember laughing during the wiggle wiggle part.

I got Madame Secretary, appaloosa, and whisper. I was afraid they were going to give the guy credit for 'smear', and I'm glad Alex repeated the important part of the clue, describing whisper. Besides, wasn't that the 'talking' category, whatever it was called? 

I couldn't pull Daisy Ridley's name out for the life of me. Claire Foy was standing in the way.

FJ was easy, but I didn't know it was first performed so recently.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

You reminded me of Crazy Elephant and this. Try reading it in Alex Trebek's voice:

Gimme, gimme good lovin' every night
(Hey you know it's alright, child)
Gimme, gimme good lovin' make it alright
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1

I almost blew FJ because I got hung up on Russia and that isn't where the story is set, or at least not the traditional versions I've seen and I watch Battle of the Nutcrackers every year (so there). But I got it in time.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2