Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, opus said:

Give me a "like" if you also pre-yelled out Rocky in the squirrel category.

LIKE, and I didn't have a clue about the other squirrels in the category. Guess they're all after my time ;-)

The only TS I remember getting was South Lawn. I knew Rapid City was in one of the Dakotas but not which one.

I tried to give David a pass for maybe being a fan who's wanted to be on Jeopardy for a long time and has never been to LA and is just super excited and overwhelmed about the whole thing but that DD wager performance was just fake fakery. I suspect he'll be a one and done (as I did for Mirza(sp?) who imploded when faced with some real competition).

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I tried to give David a pass for maybe being a fan who's wanted to be on Jeopardy for a long time and has never been to LA and is just super excited and overwhelmed about the whole thing but that DD wager performance was just fake fakery.

This. This is what pushed me over the edge.

• Love 6

I loathe the new champ.

Loathe!

Him!

I got Ulysses and 25 or 6 to 4 tonight.  Chicago was my first real concert in high school.

<pats Pooh on the head and gives him a pot of honey>

Needless to say, we got FJ.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But I did finally figure out who the previous champ reminds me of -- Dr. Jacques Bailly, the guy who pronounces the words for the National Spelling Bee.  Though perhaps a younger Dr. Bailly. 

I love that guy.  And the Spelling Bee.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I was never big on Winnie the Pooh.  I mean its OK, just never my favorite. 

Oh, bother!

• Love 13
4 hours ago, SHD said:

I felt bad about not liking David, but then I came to this forum and I was like, "My people - you get it!" He reminded me of the jerk in every John Hughes movie. Mostly he just came across as insincere/rehearsed - like a theater kid or the male version of a pageant girl. 

I never watch the interviews, so can someone tell me why him saying his Mom was a doctor was so infuriating?

My husband also made the 80s teen movie villain comparison.

Some of my best friends are doctors (well, OK, one) so that in itself wasn't the problem. I'm sure his father is a Harvard professor or publishing magnate as well. I hated his smarmy delivery, like of course he's so brilliant because his brilliant parents gave him every advantage. The kind of guy who doesn't realize he was born on 3rd base.

• Love 8

I really wanted John to win. Until that fakey fake DD wager, I gave David the benefit of the doubt that he simply had an exuberant personality & wasn't acting that way just to annoy me. 

TS I got were Washington, Ulysses, God is dead (missed DD), 25 or 6 to 4. FJ was an instaget - Hundred (not One Hundred) Acre Wood, Alex.

Novena started for Billy Joel's safety.

1 hour ago, HavartiHead42 said:

Some of my best friends are doctors (well, OK, one) so that in itself wasn't the problem. I'm sure his father is a Harvard professor or publishing magnate as well. I hated his smarmy delivery, like of course he's so brilliant because his brilliant parents gave him every advantage. The kind of guy who doesn't realize he was born on 3rd base.

Mine too. One gave birth to me and I married another one. I can kinda see the smarminess, but I also give him the tiniest bit of slack because he probably hasn't had to live in the real world yet. Maybe in 5 years he'll be more aware. But he can be a one & done and I will not be upset. Unless someone more annoying beats him that is. 

• Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, opus said:

I couldn't watch last night because of some stupid sports event and then Jeopardy not being aired when it was supposedly rescheduled.  Grr.

Anyway, was there really a squirrel category?  Tell me they showed a photo of the one from Great British Bake Off and his, er, nuts?

Warning, possibly NSFW or the faint of heart.

Spoiler

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 6

I did ok. I got Vermont, S Dakota, and I think one other. I had trouble watching because I am not enamored of the new champ. Just too much movement. 

Yes, I screamed Rocky. Loved that cartoon and Farctured Fairy Tales as a child on Saturday mornings. 

I didn’t get FJ as I haven’t read/watched much Winnie the Pooh. My nephew, who’s turning 50 soon, loves him and still has his childhood bear. I found a roll of Winnie the Pooh Christmas wrapping paper and use it every year fo his gift. He gets teased for it but secretly loves it. 

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Trey said:

New champ is okay - he reminds me of someone from my childhood whom I didn't like very much so that put me off him a bit.

David reminds me of every guy from high school I couldn't stand, from the smirking to the camera mugging. He can't lose fast enough for me. 

I didn't write down my gets, but I had a solid game and knew FJ immediately. 

• Love 10
17 hours ago, opus said:

In case anyone was wondering, petitioning for "likes" here does work :)

• Love 7
(edited)

Congrats to lb60 for the FJ shoutout!

I liked the outgoing champ. He was dressed respectfully in a suit, and was good looking in a brainiac way, which appeals to me. (Love glasses on men!) What was up with the new champ being all hemming and hawing over what to bet on his DD? Get out much, kid? His theatrics after he won were pretty OTT, like he was homeless living under a bridge somewhere, and now he would be able to buy a hot dog and get a room at the Motel 6 for the night.

But after reading here, I might have to agree that he is a Master Thespian in his own mind.

Did the players write "100" on their FJ answers? I wasn't paying all that much attention. But if so, they needed to be ruled incorrect. TMI. And Incorrect TMI at that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Did the players write "100" on their FJ answers?

Just one did. The others wrote "Hundred Acre Wood" (the new champ) and, of course, "Pooh Forest".

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Not only did I pre-yell "Rocky", I also re-yelled (although wasn't an answer) "Secret". As in "Secret Squirrel", whose archenemy was "Morocco Mole". I think that was a cartoon on "The Banana Splits", but I might be wrong.

I think you’re right.  I loved The Banana Splits.  

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Not only did I pre-yell "Rocky", I also re-yelled (although wasn't an answer) "Secret". As in "Secret Squirrel", whose archenemy was "Morocco Mole".

The kind of hat worn by Morocco Mole was in Friday's "Squirrel" F6. So your pre/re-yell was right as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, opus said:

Like! I wondered where they were going to find four more squirrel questions.  But I did get the Animaniacs answer - that was a funny show.

I am pretty sure Rocket J. Squirrel would count - that is his official name.

What happened to the squirrel and his nuts? Did that post disappear?

Obviously, I am capable of posting only one quote per post without messing it all up.

I didn't get any ts's but FJ was an instaget.

New champ has to leave now.

14 hours ago, harrie said:

Does Rocket J. Squirrel count?

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Trey said:

What happened to the squirrel and his nuts? Did that post disappear?

Obviously, I am capable of posting only one quote per post without messing it all up.

If it's my "nutty" post you're referring to it's still showing for me, ten or so posts up thread.

I also have problems quoting more than one post - let the inept band together!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Brookside said:

If it's my "nutty" post you're referring to it's still showing for me, ten or so posts up thread.

Ah, yes, there it is.  Sadly, that squirrel didn't make it to Jeopardy!.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Brookside said:

Anyway, was there really a squirrel category?  Tell me they showed a photo of the one from Great British Bake Off and his, er, nuts?

Warning, possibly NSFW or the faint of heart.

Oh, my!

<covers Pooh's eyes>

10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My nephew, who’s turning 50 soon, loves him and still has his childhood bear. I found a roll of Winnie the Pooh Christmas wrapping paper and use it every year for his gift. He gets teased for it but secretly loves it. 

As do I.  50+ years.  I always use Pooh wrapping paper, whether people like him or not.  lol 

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Congrats to lb60 for the FJ shoutout!

Thanks!  :-)

5 hours ago, forumfish said:

Anyone else have Kenny Loggins in their head? Just me?

Nope, not just you.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I knew Rapid City was in one of the Dakotas but not which one.

Same here.

The only TS I got was Ulysseus. 

I first said Hundred Acre Wood, and then I thought that it should be Woods. Do you think that would have been accepted?

Funnily enough, I had just opened the Nat Geo channel site on my laptop when the Nat Geo clue came up.

As for the new champ... Well, I'm sorry Mirza lost. However, for some reason I started liking David more when he was figuring out what his DD wager would be. I don't know why that made me like him more.

I've never heard that the Moses tongue-twister, and I actually wanted Alex to do the rest of it.

And now I'm off to google Mongolian contortionism.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've never heard that the Moses tongue-twister, and I actually wanted Alex to do the rest of it.

You must watch Singin' In The Rain!

I can't just say it -- I have to sing it, like in the movie*.  Moses supposes his toeses are roses, but Moses supposes erroneously.  For Moses he knowses his toeses aren't roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be.

*Also like the Preamble to the Constitution.  Have to sing that, too.  :)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I can't just say it -- I have to sing it, like in the movie*.  Moses supposes his toeses are roses, but Moses supposes erroneously.  For Moses he knowses his toeses aren't roses, as Moses supposes his toeses to be.

Ever had to learn the Periodic Table?  Daniel Radcliffe has it down:

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I HAVE seen Singin' in the Rain. Obviously I forgot this part.

What's that tune from? 

I have to sing the Declaration of Independence. The Fifth Dimension did it. (NOT before my time.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Ever had to learn the Periodic Table?  Daniel Radcliffe has it down:

"Tom Lehrer is the cleverest and funniest man of the twentieth century."  Daniel has that down too!

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/10/2018 at 10:19 AM, Driad said:

Tom Lehrer is the cleverest and funniest man of the twentieth century."

"Silent E", from the Electric Company: "who could turn a man into a mane, a can into a cane? But my friend Sam looks the same!"

Edited by illdoc
Forgot an E
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, illdoc said:

"Silent E", from the Electric Company: "who could turn a man into a man, a can into a cane? But my friend Sam looks the same!"

I assume you mean "mane" for the second "man."

• Love 4

I was just a bit disappointed that the tongue twisters didn't include Betty...

Betty bought a bit of butter but the bit of butter Betty bought was bitter so Betty bought another bit of butter to make the bitter butter better.

(I'd love to hear Alex's twisted tongue on that one.)

~the end~

• Love 5

Thank god David lost.  He was being extra crispy annoying tonight, what with the clicking and fist-pumping and all.  Unfortunately, the new champ has a bad case of vocal fry.  I was rooting for middle girl.

FJ was an instaget.  I also got Bonnie Blue, painter, and iron.  There may have been others, but David, who thinks Yosemite is in Wyoming, annoyed me so much that I didn't give the game my full attention.

• Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Thank god David lost.  He was being extra crispy annoying tonight, what with the clicking and fist-pumping and all.  Unfortunately, the new champ has a bad case of vocal fry.  I was rooting for middle girl.

FJ was an instaget.  I also got Bonnie Blue, painter, and iron.  There may have been others, but David, who thinks Yosemite is in Wyoming, annoyed me so much that I didn't give the game my full attention.

I won't miss that smug kid either. I got ones you mentioned except Bonnie Blue, but I did get priest for Prete and Japan for the Sakhalin and You Only Live Twice. I don't really mind Catherine though. 

1 hour ago, lurk3000 said:

The middle contestant (Tracey) reminds me of Kristin Wiig.

I thought the same thing. 

FJ was an instaget. 

Yosemite in Wyoming. That's just a fail. 

Edited by DrScottie
Forgot the Bond Movie
  • Love 6

Thank you, Jeopardy gods.

I love Catherine.  Even if I didn't, I would say I do because.............

David. Ugh!  

I'm actually indifferent towards Catherine.

Tonight I got Bonnie Blue and painter.

#FlyEaglesFly

• Love 9

FJ was insanely easy. If anything the obscure reference to "sackbut" would tend, I think, to lead one away from the answer due to obfuscation. In any case I was really happy when I saw the clue because I knew it meant the end of the David nozzle. Good job by Catherine, bad job by Tracey with that I-don't-wanna-win FJ wager.

• Love 10

Congrats to Catherine.  I'm so glad that hideous tool, David, is gone.  I was hoping Tracey would smack him every time he turned to give the other contestants the stinkeye.  What the hell kind of an FJ wager was that, though?

I only got painter and priest.

FJ was an instaget.  

• Love 12
(edited)
54 minutes ago, lurk3000 said:

The middle contestant (Tracey) reminds me of Kristin Wiig.

Thanks for saying that. It was niggling at my brain because she reminded me of someone and now you have solved my mystery. I got painter, Priest, the DD of Gertrude Stein, Japan and iron. I didn’t get FJ as I guessed bugle. Somehow those sizes screwed up my logic. When they were doing the answer about where a Judge goes (beginning with the letter “C”) I guessed chambers. I’d never heard in camera and my brother is a Judge! 

We had a laugh at David’s expense. He was so animated that we said he looked like a 14 year old who just got laid for the first time and couldn’t contain his excitement. Sorry if that came off as crass but are glad to see him go. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Punctuation
  • Love 10

I was annoyed by his opening shenanigans, but it IS an awfully long time to stand there, just smiling, while Johnny announces your name, occupation and where you're from, in addition to your previous winnings.  I'm glad he's gone, though.

I guffawed at the Rachel "Carson" clue.

• Love 14

When the clue has to do with magnetism, is there really any other logical answer besides iron?  And yet . . .

I actually played trombone in JHS and HS band, so missing FJ wasn't an option.  I told my husband my nickname in HS was "Sackbut."  Very annoying that he believed me.  We decided we're going to buy our old instruments, a sax for Mr. M'anyone and a trombone for me, and see how well we do.  I say we have to put a lot of cushions around us for our debut, because I'm betting we both pass out within the first five minutes.

No BMS for Rachel Carson?

Bye, David.

• Love 12

Goodbye to super annoying, grinning, twitching, mugging, loud, category-jumping David. He may have committed other Jeopardy sins, but at least he's gone so he won't be there tomorrow for me to have to catalog more of them.

I got You Only Live Twice (a particular favorite of Mr. K and me), Bonnie Blue, painter, priest and Japan. Also, having just come back from my son's band concert, the trombone was an instaget. He plays the alto sax, but the brass players tend to stick together.

3 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

When the clue has to do with magnetism, is there really any other logical answer besides iron?  And yet . . .

I actually played trombone in JHS and HS band, so missing FJ wasn't an option.  I told my husband my nickname in HS was "Sackbut."  Very annoying that he believed me.  We decided we're going to buy our old instruments, a sax for Mr. M'anyone and a trombone for me, and see how well we do.  I say we have to put a lot of cushions around us for our debut, because I'm betting we both pass out within the first five minutes.

I played in the band, too, but it was the flute for me. Mr. K played the sax, and Little K is following in his footsteps. I've occasionally thought of taking up the flute again, too. We have a couple of different fun community bands around here, mostly made up of adults who miss their glory days in band. (This one time, at band camp...)

• Love 8

I had a doubleget.  I knew the Mamas and the Papas clue with only the words, and I knew it with only the picture.

I got the Scott Kelly clue because a relevant quote from his book was the answer to a puzzle I worked yesterday in GAMES magazine.

I pre-guessed trombone for FJ.

• Love 7
On 6/10/2018 at 11:19 AM, Driad said:

"Tom Lehrer is the cleverest and funniest man of the twentieth century."  Daniel has that down too!

His rendition of the Elements song was truly impressive, but he omitted the wonderful last two lines:

"These are the only ones of which the news has come to Hahvahd,

And there may be many others but they haven't been discavahd."

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Good job by Catherine, bad job by Tracey with that I-don't-wanna-win FJ wager.

Agreed. Did she not realize David could still overtake her? If Catherine were wrong and bet to protect against Tracey going all in (the typical bet for the leader), Tracey would have finished $1 ahead of her, but David bet to beat Tracey. We could have had another day of David. Ugh. 

• Love 6

I didn't mind David too much in the first game, but the second one did me in and I was happy to see him go. I like Catherine well enough, she can stay.  
I also had a giggle at Rachel Carson and even though Rachel was in the clue, thought to myself BMS. 
Did anyone notice Alex sounding surprised that Catherine got the "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" right? I wasn't sure if it was Before Your Time or A Woman Knew The Answer shock.

• Love 15

We had a little news interruption to show Trump shaking hands with Kim, so I missed a portion of the middle of the show.

I got Bonnie Blue, painter, the DD of Gertrude Stein, and FJ.

I haven't read any Dostoesvsky. I don't know the difference betw Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamovoff. I need to do some studyin'.

What was the Rachel Carson clue?

• Love 3

Yes Alex, Monday was indeed a fun day, a one-and one day! Lord it was satisfying to see a woman beat the pants off David’s fake happy ass.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I got You Only Live Twice (a particular favorite of Mr. K and me)

Same here, probably my favorite Bond film. I also got painter and priest.

FJ wasn't an instaget because I'd never heard sackbut before but the inches part of the clue got me there pretty quickly.

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

We decided we're going to buy our old instruments, a sax for Mr. M'anyone and a trombone for me, and see how well we do.

I can dust off my flute if you guys are thinking of a J!Orchestra...

• Love 7