Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

When you say Kansas or Iowa, "University of....." is implied.  Shorthand for them is used all the time in sports especially without specifying its not Kansas State or Iowa State.  You add that "state" part if you mean Iowa State or Kansas State, otherwise its assumed you mean University of or (blank) University. 

Exactly; that's common across conferences.  I, too, had no problem with accepting Kansas or rejecting Iowa precisely because of that - you do not need to say the "University/University of," when that's the school you're referring to, but if you mean "[State] St.," you do need to include the St.

• Love 3

Did the writers just discover alliteration today?  

The above was posted yesterday. They re-discovered it today.

Thank goodness Mr. Bowtie didn't win. He made Emily look animated.

Mr. Author was impressed when I said "Chopin" as soon as Alex finished reading the FJ clue. But who else could it be? Kit Mozart? Wolfgang Carson?

I wonder if they would have accepted Cornel Wilde <snort-chortle>

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Re: Hebrides.  I no longer even semi-mock people who know stuff but mispronounce it. 

Totally agree about pronunciation, but I shamefacedly admit I did once laugh out loud at a smug friend of my ex who was so proud of his tweed jacket from the "He brides". Showed me the label and all.

• Love 8

I'll chip in on the University of vs. State University conversation. My alma maters are the University of Pennsylvania (which we call Penn) and the University of Arizona, which people here in Tucson call "Zona" but most people call Arizona. I often have to specify the University of Pennsylvania because a lot of people don't understand that Penn is not Penn State, and I wonder if the judges would accept an answer of "Penn" when they're looking for the U of Penn. I'm thinking about this too much now, so I'll move on...

My gets were Thornton Wilder, coal, Bayer Aspirin, medical marijuana, Zambeezi, and FJ. I don't think I've ever been able to say I had an instaget in a classical music category, so that was exciting for me.

Lydia should have been on the day before for that Lydia category they had.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

You add that "state" part if you mean Iowa State or Kansas State, otherwise its assumed you mean University of or (blank) University. 

That's why ASS-u-ming anything makes an ASS out of U and Me.

If all Jeopardy answers can be "assumed," then why say BMS for anything?

No one was able to assume anything in Kit Carson days.

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

So, just Iowa wasn't acceptable, because they wanted Iowa State.

And that's why Trebek should have said BMS. It's the Kit Carson Rule. Goose and gander.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Emily got a shout out from reese witherspoon.

So cool for Emily. I love this sentence from the link: "As the two other contestants, named Elizabeth and Daniel, stared dumbfounded, Emily seized the opportunity and correctly answered all the questions about the Oscar-winning actress."

"Dumbfounded." Ha ha.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

So, just Iowa wasn't acceptable, because they wanted Iowa State.

And that's why Trebek should have said BMS. It's the Kit Carson Rule. Goose and gander.

And I acknowledged the need for a BMS in my endless paragraph/rant about it.

• Love 2

If I may add one additional item to the Kansas/Kansas State, Iowa/Iowa State discussion; there truly was no ambiguity.  The University of Kansas clue specified Lawrence.  Kansas State is located in Manhattan, KS.  The Iowa State clue specified Ames.  The University of Iowa is located in Iowa City, IA.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Re: Hebrides.  I no longer even semi-mock people who know stuff but mispronounce it. I now assume they are readers who read stuff no one in their social circle also reads, so the subject matter never gets discussed & correct pronunciation arrived at. I salute the reading loners, of whom I am one.

That was me saying Who is Jeff BAY-zos instead of Jeff BEE-zos. (Jeff Bezos).

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Brookside said:

Totally agree about pronunciation, but I shamefacedly admit I did once laugh out loud at a smug friend of my ex who was so proud of his tweed jacket from the "He brides". Showed me the label and all.

Great story. No need to be shamefaced about the LOL, especially if the guy was a tool. Some people are fun to correct.

2 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

That was me saying Who is Jeff BAY-zos instead of Jeff BEE-zos. (Jeff Bezos).

"You like Bay-zos and I like Bee-zos, let's call the whole thing off." TM Fred Astaire

• Love 8

I could not stop singing. Damn you, Jeopardy!

Lee:
You see it's here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee
And everywhere-a-Lee-a-Lee
Here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee
And everywhere-a-Lee
Look out! There's Arthur Lee, Bobby Lee
And General Lighthorse Harry Lee
Willy Lee, Jesse Lee

Franklin:
And Richard H.

Lee:
That's me. And may my blood stop running blue

if I can't deliver up to you a resolution on independency!

• Love 9
16 hours ago, secnarf said:

Aspirin is the 'brand' name that belongs to Bayer's product, so it should. The generic name is acetylsalicylic acid (ASA)

I never thought about aspirin being a brand name. I have generic aspirin, which is called aspirin on the label. Are there any other brand names that have become generic. For instance, I know many people call all tissues 'Kleenex,' but only Kleenex brand have that actual name.

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

After RFK, didn't Congress pass an anti-nepotism law regarding Presidential Appointees (that our current POTUS ignores)???

I'm not sure about Jared, but Ivanka is not an actual employee. She just kinda floats around and does stuff. :p

• Love 3
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That's why ASS-u-ming anything makes an ASS out of U and Me.

If all Jeopardy answers can be "assumed," then why say BMS for anything?

No one was able to assume anything in Kit Carson days.

I tell people all the time where I went to college and I just say "Indiana", I don't say "Indiana University". 

Not one of them, in the 23 years since I graduated, has ever once asked "You mean Indiana or Indiana State?  Be more specific". 

Same thing here locally in North Carolina where I live now.  You can even say "Carolina", and its known to be North Carolina, not North Carolina State, or South Carolina.  But assuming they say "North Carolina", never once I have been mistaken when they meant NC State instead of UNC, nor have I had to ask what they meant.

Just the state name is commonly used as the shorthand version and accepted, universally, literally without question.  There is no reason Jeopardy should have any different standard than what is used in the common language, unless they specifically say beforehand they want the full college name, in which case you have to say the full name for all answers. 

• Love 9
(edited)
42 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I never thought about aspirin being a brand name. I have generic aspirin, which is called aspirin on the label. Are there any other brand names that have become generic. For instance, I know many people call all tissues 'Kleenex,' but only Kleenex brand have that actual name.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/56667/41-brand-names-people-use-generic-terms

I only learned about Realtor® when I worked for one & she set me straight.

ETA: This link's even more interesting... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2

"University" and "college" are often dropped in common discussion unless it's strongly part of the higher education institution's branding (e.g. University of Southern California) - note that people wanted "University of Iowa" or "Iowa State" - but if you want "University of Iowa" you should want "Iowa State University" not "Iowa State." And then you should want Baylor University for consistency sake, not Baylor. I think a BMS in this example would have been a giveaway that it was Iowa State University.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, opus said:
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

On the flip side....during the NCAA basketball tourney, they kept saying "Loyola Chicago" and we kept wondering "are there other Loyolas?"

Well, since you asked....

https://www.lmu.edu/

And Loyola New Orleans and Loyola Maryland. The Jesuits are not very imaginative when it comes to naming their schools.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Re: Hebrides.  I no longer even semi-mock people who know stuff but mispronounce it. I now assume they are readers who read stuff no one in their social circle also reads, so the subject matter never gets discussed & correct pronunciation arrived at. I salute the reading loners, of whom I am one.

Could not agree more with this.  I used to be one of those mockers, and then I got corrected by a friend and was embarrassed (turned out I looked up the word years later and we were both right, but whatever).  So I remembered how it felt to be on the receiving end and tried not to do it.  About a year ago, I read a line from someone named Morgan Housel, and I posted it in another forum here:  "Never make fun of people for mispronouncing a word.  It means they learned it by reading."

That still leaves us a lot of room for other kinds of mockery, though.

• Love 17
(edited)

Another game with 3 pleasant contestants, although Michael was a little dull. He was a day late for the physics category. 

TS I  got were Lee (thank you 1776), coal, & Bayer aspirin. The postman category was fun, but too easy - the contestants should have had to give the states also. Pre-guessed FJ & got called a witch by my son...lol

11 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

In addition to 1776, I know Lighthorse Harry as Robert E. Lee’s dissolute father.

I did not know that. 

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

On the flip side....during the NCAA basketball tourney, they kept saying "Loyola Chicago" and we kept wondering "are there other Loyolas?"

New Orleans for one. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3

I'm a few days late to the party with this comment but I'm thinking that I can't be the only person whose mind went here.
Earlier in the week there was a dictionary category of some sort.  I can't remember the title.  (J! Archive doesn't have the categories listed for any of the shows broadcast from 3/28-4/2.  The horror!)  The clue definition was looking for the response of "dwindle" which followed "dwell" in the dictionary.  This was an instaget for me thanks to my nerd-like love for The West Wing.  For non Wing-nuts, you can see what I mean in this clip.  I think I have it set to start at the appropriate time.  If not, it's 1:44.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I'm a few days late to the party with this comment but I'm thinking that I can't be the only person whose mind went here.

Ha - nope!  I suspect I'd have come up with it anyway, but the fact it was an instaget caused me to say, "Thank you, West Wing."

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Tommy Lee Jones winning an Academy Award for ... Men in Black.

Which was based on that really popular TV show of the same name, right? I got FJ before Alex even finished reading the clue, it was such an instaget for me.  Sad that Jack lost, though Kristin wasn't horrible except for her vocal fry during the interview. 

Another clue with alliteration!  Shall we include that in the drinking game? 

Despite Kristin's vocal fry (which wasn't nearly as noticeable when she was playing), I thought it was a good game.  I only remember one TS that I got, and that was knock, from the King James Bible category. 

• Love 9

I never knew lead was considered a soft metal! Live and learn.

I knew knock, epistemology, Africa, and Sicilies. Instaget FJ. I'm surprised Alex didn't pull the "before your time" line on Jack for missing it. Hey, Men in Black could have been one of those gimmicky 60's sci-fi shows!

• Love 3
(edited)
23 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Are the writers even trying anymore with FJ?  All week they’ve been ridiculously easy. 

I wrote something similar in my notes. Of course, I was writing that before all the contestants' answers were revealed. I was thinking Kristin's wager would put her in jeopardy (pun intended) because I knew Jack would've gone all in. Jack must be younger than he looks to have missed The Fugitive. At least he picked a movie from the 90s that TLJ was in, so I can't be too hard on him for his guess. I recently re-watched Double Jeopardy, with TLJ and Ashley Judd, but I knew it wasn't nominated for anything. We were talking about it in my street law class and how it gets the entire concept of Double Jeopardy wrong. There I go babbling again...

On topic: I should stop listening to the interviews. Alex made a comment during Jack's interview; it was his reaction to finding out Jack's girlfriend also had a hockey stick. Does Alex not realize we women folk can play hockey too? Maybe I'm being overly critical, but that interview irritated me.

My gets were knock, Mario Puzo DD, Africa, and FJ. 

One last comment: there was an accounting clue in that XYZ category that made me think they were looking for more than just "year to date." I'll have to wait to see how it was actually worded, but I spent most of my time trying to work out the other acronyms.

2 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I never knew lead was considered a soft metal! Live and learn.

Alex's emphasis on soft was irritating to me. I hate when he does that, which makes the contestants look bad. He's a tool.

Edited by teebax
Stupid split infinitives
  • Love 12

Bye, Jack.  I'll miss you.  Kristin's vocal fry voice is like nails on a chalkboard.  Hopefully, she'll be a one and done.

The only TS I got was the Mario Puzo DD.

I had FJ written down before Alex finished reading the clue.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, teebax said:

On topic: I should stop listening to the interviews. Alex made a comment during Jack's interview; it was his reaction to finding out Jack's girlfriend also had a hockey stick. Does Alex not realize we women folk can play hockey too? Maybe I'm being overly critical, but that interview irritated me.

I can only hope there was something cut where Jack made a dirty joke about her having his stick, or something.  (I got a makeover on a talk show one time, and there was a line that got cut out that made me look like I was laughing hysterically for no reason...)

So, I know that people can have any kind of style, but was I the only person shocked that Arielle (?) has a husband? 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

So, I know that people can have any kind of style, but was I the only person shocked that Arielle (?) has a husband? 

I missed the first couple of minutes and thought she was a nerdy man until the interviews.

• Love 4

I never knew lead was considered a soft metal!

I remember playing with the "lead pipe" in the Clue game - it was quite malleable; I don't see how the hell clobbering somebody with it wouldn't have ended with a live person and head-shaped lead pipe.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I remember playing with the "lead pipe" in the Clue game - it was quite malleable; I don't see how the hell clobbering somebody with it wouldn't have ended with a live person and head-shaped lead pipe.

That happens in those old cartoons all the time.

1 hour ago, teebax said:

Alex made a comment during Jack's interview; it was his reaction to finding out Jack's girlfriend also had a hockey stick. Does Alex not realize we women folk can play hockey too? Maybe I'm being overly critical, but that interview irritated me.

To say nothing of the Olympic gold medal the American WOMEN'S hockey team won in February. Maybe this show was taped before then, but still ... those women were playing hockey before they went to Korea.

1 hour ago, teebax said:

Alex's emphasis on soft was irritating to me. I hate when he does that, which makes the contestants look bad. He's a tool.

I'll drink to that.

• Love 10

I got moped and Mario Puzo, but there weren’t that many TSs today. And FJ was an instaget, but The Fugitive is one of my favorite movies from the 1990s, partly because it is one of the best Chicago-filmed movies ever. I love the use of the neighborhoods and distinctly unglam areas like Whiting, IN (where they found the African-American fugitive), and when TLJ finds the trash from the fake ID, someone says, “CCH, what’s that?”, which made me and my co-workers laugh, since that was the acronym for our company as well as Cook County Hospital.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I had FJ written down before Alex finished reading the clue.

One of my favorite movies:

Dr. Richard Kimble: "I didn't kill my wife!'

Samuel Gerard: "I don't care!"

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew knock, epistemology, Africa, and Sicilies. Instaget FJ.

Got those too. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, teebax said:

One last comment: there was an accounting clue in that XYZ category that made me think they were looking for more than just "year to date." I'll have to wait to see how it was actually worded, but I spent most of my time trying to work out the other acronyms.

There was another initialism in the clue (I think EOD for end of the day, because it was something like, "By EOD, can you put together the numbers for blah blah YTD"), but the clue specified that the "this" they wanted explained was YTD.  Plus, that's the only acronym that fit the X,Y,Z category.

I only saw this episode in bits and pieces, as I was distracted by cats, so from that sporadic exposure:

[Chandler Bing voice] Could the Silicon Valley clue have been any easier? [/Chandler Bing voice]  Assyria was pretty bad, too.

“Films of the 1990s.  You’re all young enough to remember that.”  Good gods, shut up, Alex!  I’ve seen movies going back to the beginning of film.  Of all the annoying quirks he has, I don’t know why behaving as if people only listen to music/watch TV or films produced in their lifetime drives me ‘round the bend fastest, but it does.

Anyway, I’d have bet big based on the category, and would have won big, too – that was an instaget.

• Love 12

I got Puzo, but was denied any TSs by a quicker Mrs. GenX.

Old champ wore a shirt with a button down collar without actually buttoning down the collar.  I'm no fashion icon, but that drives me crazy.  Slob.  Pet peeve.

New champ's kinda hot, though not quite at former champ from March (Laura) level.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

One of my favorite movies:

Dr. Richard Kimble: "I didn't kill my wife!'

Samuel Gerard: "I don't care!"

I was going to post the exact same quotes! Such an awesome moment, and TLJ's delivery was great.

I got the DD of Mario Puzo and the TS the Two Sicilies. Coincidentally, yesterday I read an article that mentioned visitors to Mar-A-Lago who were the Prince and Princess of the Two Sicilies. Another clue mentioned Dahomey, which figured in the Victoria Christmas Special I watched recently.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

and when TLJ finds the trash from the fake ID, someone says, “CCH, what’s that?”, which made me and my co-workers laugh, since that was the acronym for our company as well as Cook County Hospital.

However, now when youngsters watch that movie, they'll say "CCH, what's that?" and their friends will say, "Beats me." (For non-Chicago residents, Cook County Hospital has been renamed Stroger Hospital.)

13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

“Films of the 1990s.  You’re all young enough to remember that.” 

Drink!

• Love 3