Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This FJ I might get wrong if I was on the show  because it seems so obvious that I  might try to think of reasons Jamaica wasnt in the UN. It was basically name countries that start with J and yet two people couldn't do it.

I'm not so sure how simple that was based on reading this board. A few of us couldn't do it, either. 

• Love 11

I got Jamaica & Jordan, but completely blanked on Japan. Go figure.  I ran the magazine category and "glass armonica" was not on the tip of my tongue, but somewhere in the back, below the uvula, so I said "glass harp."  As soon as I saw "Disney Villains," I told the cats, "Gaston."  I remember watching a Politically Incorrect with Andrew Dice Clay as a guest and he was outraged at Gaston being stabbed in the back. He kept turning the conversation back to that. What kind of Disney movie stabs a guy in the back?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was basically name countries that start with J and yet two people couldn't do it.

I couldn't come up with three.  I only managed Japan and the incorrect Java.  Jamaica never occurred to me, and I probably could have sat here all day and not come up with Jordan.

I wanted them to finish the fish category, too! 

Emily completely lost me with her goofy guess of Philippines in the Galapagos category.  Looked like she knew it was a goofy guess, too, and it was all downhill for her from there.  I couldn't tell if she was angry or going to cry by the end, but she definitely was no longer happy to be there.  I rooted for Lane by default, so I'm glad he won.

5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Alex (announcing categories): Disney Villains

Dr. Toothbrush: Jack looks like a Disney villain

Bwah!

TS I got included Prevention, vernal, Seattle, mentor, and pike.

11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

And then Alex has to thank everyone involved like he's just won an Oscar and doesn't want to win the jet ski.

Excellent!

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

If he was born in India while it was under British rule, he's British. 

His father was British as well. I don't know what their citizenship rules are, but I got American citizenship because my father was American - even though I wasn't born on a base (considered US soil).

12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay Lane!  Bu-buy Shouting Jack*.  Emily won the award for most goofy guesses - the Galapagos aren't off the coast of the Philippines, Sandhill Butterflies (?), and a trout looks nothing like a pike (and I'm certainly no fish aficionado but I was doing well in the fishy category).

I didn't get pike, but I knew darn well trout didn't have those pointy snouts.

9 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I don't remember exactly what we studied in 8th grade (other than that I took Latin  that year!)  But 6th grade was Beowulf.  All Beowulf, all the time.

Gawd, I hated Beowulf!

6th grade? Wow. I didn't study it until college - and I hated it too.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, teebax said:

From what I could tell, I got 46 out of 50, which is the best I've ever done. I'm feeling quite proud but not holding out hope for an audition. 

Wow! That's great! If you don't get an audition invite after that, then I wonder what they're after. 100%?

6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Alex (announcing categories): Disney Villains

Dr. Toothbrush: Jack looks like a Disney villain

HA! :D

Instead of glass harmonica, I said theremin. I was thinking it didn't look like a theremin, but that's all I could come up with.

• Love 5
Just now, peeayebee said:

Instead of glass harmonica, I said theremin. I was thinking it didn't look like a theremin, but that's all I could come up with.

I thought theremin when the clue was read, before they showed the photo, and couldn't get theremin out of my head.

• Love 4

I said Jakarta and Jordan for FJ!  I like that Emily cut off Alex's "Jakarta is wrong" with "I know it is."  I too said theremin when the clue was read but once I saw the picture I knew that wasn't right.  Never heard of glass harmonica (or whatever that was).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, I loved that too. Ha.

Me too!  She sounded super pissed.  But he always has to act like that (eye roll).
The champ was sure confident in his answer of Pollyanna for the DJ.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Brookside said:

And what's the obsession of aging (American) males dressing up as if they're roughing it on a strenuous safari?

I know, right? One can always spot the American tourists. All that was missing was his pith helmet, which I'm sure was just off camera.

9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I'm sorry, CarpeDiem54, but Faye Dunaway saber5055 read the wrong name of the winner.

"And TOOTHBRUSH is the winner of the Internet. Carpe, you can go back to your seat now."

12 hours ago, teebax said:

From what I could tell, I got 46 out of 50, which is the best I've ever done. I'm feeling quite proud but not holding out hope for an audition. 

I think one can miss two and still make the cut. But I'm rooting for you, Teebax. Keep us updated on what you hear. I took the first night's test and am positive I missed more than four so you guys will have to continue on without saber to kick around in your online posts.

I did, out of curiosity, take the Teen sample test and thought those questions to be of the same difficulty as those on the show. I guess Jeopardy is no fun to watch if contestants just stand there mutely ... like during that football category a while back.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, tallykat said:

How many Galapagos clues actually had to do with Galapagos? It was like: pointless fact about the Galapagos—name the whale book! 

It always stuns when I think about how much $$$ they must spend to send Alex and/or the Clue Crew off to these exotic locations for...what?  It's apparent that no one likes these long-winded clues that are nothing more than a time suck.  If they felt it absolutely necessary to do this type of clue, they could save bundles by having Alex stand in front of a travel poster at the local travel agency.

• Love 12
(edited)
5 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm not so sure how simple that was based on reading this board. A few of us couldn't do it, either. 

That was actually my point. Things that seem obvious ro some aren't. I instantly knew the answer but might have thought the answer was to obvious. Even on my couch when I instantly got the right answer I created reasons Jamica wasn't in the UN. Simple answers are never simple except than when they are.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

LOL... I enjoy reading the posts here and want to thank all of you who share similar thoughts - like "Urinate!" for "... year in 8". I'm glad I'm not the only one whose hearing leads to instantaneous belly jiggling laughter. Not that my belly jiggles. Ha.

Brought to mind the fairly recent episode in which, "I'll take Dick for $2000, Alex!" just about made me spew my mouthful of wine. That one still makes me snicker.

Lastly, if you happen to read these posts, Alex, please save your speeches for the END of the competition. When you go on and on and on, and on, and then the contestants don't clear the board, you lose points. Big time. Please - let them finish and then blow your mind for all I care. As a very-proud-of-you (and simultaneously "sorry!!!" eh?) Canadian, I appreciate your side-eyed charm and handsome looks (and dare I say your accents make me squirm with squeamish Canuckism); however, you're at that stage in life when you've learned silence is golden. Reader's Digest version: zip it, please.

• Love 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Wow! That's great! If you don't get an audition invite after that, then I wonder what they're after. 100%?

I think you need a certain percentage to qualify, and then it's a random pick from everyone who attains that score to get to the audition.  You can score very well, but if say 10,000 people qualify, and they pick 500 to audition, the odds are against you.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

That still burns me up. #justiceforwallyorwhateverhisnamewas

The only TSes I got were vernal, fedora, and armonica.

I won't miss Shoutin' Jack, although I think he turned down the volume and turned up the gas for this game. He didn't speak nearly as loudly or as slowly this go round. Something put some pep in his step.

Japan came to me immediately for FJ, and I got Jamaica not long after, but I had to pause and go through the alphabet to come up with Jordan. I thought that was a really hard one.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Bliss said:

Lastly, if you happen to read these posts, Alex, please save your speeches for the END of the competition. When you go on and on and on, and on, and then the contestants don't clear the board, you lose points. Big time. Please - let them finish and then blow your mind for all I care. As a very-proud-of-you (and simultaneously "sorry!!!" eh?) Canadian, I appreciate your side-eyed charm and handsome looks (and dare I say your accents make me squirm with squeamish Canuckism); however, you're at that stage in life when you've learned silence is golden. Reader's Digest version: zip it, please.

Should have learned, obviously his ego hasn't allowed him to.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 7

I loved Liz's story and rooted for her just because of it. Tic Tac Dough was one of my favorites as a kod and introduced me to my trivia game show addiction. 

The other contestants were fine, too. I enjoyed the game. 

I knew comptroller was acceptable when I said it and Hannah said it. My mom is a retired comptroller. My gets were reserved powers, 14 points (surprised that went unanswered), train, and FJ. 

• Love 8

Could FJ have been any easier?  I got it before Alex even finished reading the clue.  No surprise that these three all got it -- they were good!  I liked them all, although Hannah's vocal fry would have gotten on my nerves if I'd had to listen to it for too long.

Overall a good game, too.  Not too many TS -- I got train, volcano and vitamin K, although potassium was actually not a horrible guess, since the chemical symbol for potassium is K. 

• Love 7

I missed the first half of the show (of all times for them all to have good stories...sigh). In DJ I got volcano, and  Vitamin K. 

Did anyone hear the Lady answer stipic instead of styptic? I didn’t hear her pronounce the second t. Also do you think that they would have accepted an answer contract vs constrict? I thought the latter was more correct. Maybe my hearing is off tonight. It’s been a busy day.  

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Is the world coming to an end? I enjoyed all 3 contestants today and their stories, too! I could watch these 3 everyday for a month. 

Same here.  Are we in the Twilight Zone?  I liked Hannah's story about rescuing the sea turtle.  And Liz's mom winning 50 grand in the 1950's.  Wow!

I got auditor (comptroller later accepted), prison, and vitamin K.

28 minutes ago, SeanC said:

That was way too easy to be a Final Jeopardy question.

Apparently not.  I didn't have a clue.  *slinks off*

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Tunia said:

It always stuns when I think about how much $$$ they must spend to send Alex and/or the Clue Crew off to these exotic locations for...what?  It's apparent that no one likes these long-winded clues that are nothing more than a time suck.  If they felt it absolutely necessary to do this type of clue, they could save bundles by having Alex stand in front of a travel poster at the local travel agency.

I've always assumed Lindblad paid for it all in exchange for the generous publicity.

• Love 3

I missed the stories  I was with my mom and my sister called  she knows not to call during Jeopardy!  Of course my mom answers the phone.

My TS were Volcano, Vitamin k, DD syncopated, Diminished. I don’t think I ran the music category but I did surprise myself. I guess I do pay attention when music theory comes up. Also only missed tourniquet in the Auntie Coagulant category. My brain got stuck on the clue.  

FJ: Jurassic Park. Read the book many times. Amber sealed the deal for me but I can understand people not remembering that little piece of the story. 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've always assumed Lindblad paid for it all in exchange for the generous publicity.

Yes, I was just about to post that Jeopardy's costs must be minimal, if anything, because of publicity/sponsorship.   Overtime for the camera person and Alex's wrangler perhaps.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I loved Liz's story and rooted for her just because of it. Tic Tac Dough was one of my favorites as a kod and introduced me to my trivia game show addiction. 

Here's a piece of trivia for you then, teebax, in most of the world  tic tac toe is known as  naughts and crosses or the country's linguistic equivalent. 

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Could FJ have been any easier? 

I stared at the screen as if the clue was written in some ancient, extinct alphabet, and then, as if I heard all of you yelling the answer at your TVs, the correct response popped into my head.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, tallykat said:

Also only missed tourniquet in the Auntie Coagulant category. My brain got stuck on the clue.  

The name of this category puzzles me -- why "Auntie" and not just "anti"?  I don't get it.

Same thing happened to me with another recent category -- answers all had to do with disrespect, making fun of something -- I've forgotten the clue, but I remember that it didn't make sense. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, tallykat said:

FJ: Jurassic Park. Read the book many times. Amber sealed the deal for me but I can understand people not remembering that little piece of the story. 

Amber made FJ easy peasy for me, too. It was a major plot line in the movie, plus it stuck in my mind because of Dragonfly In Amber, the second Outlander book. That amber stuff rocks in many ways.

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Overtime for the camera person and Alex's wrangler perhaps.

LOL, I read this and thought "Alex wasn't wearing Wranglers, he had on his safari khakis." Then I read it correctly, thank goodness, so I didn't have to post my stupid thought about Alex's safari wear. (This post will disintegrate in five seconds, should you choose to read it.)

46 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

The name of this category puzzles me -- why "Auntie" and not just "anti"?  I don't get it.

Someone answer this question from AntiPam!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

On the response of lieutenant governor replacing a governor, I think Alex responded with “yes, him” and it made me cringe. I couldn’t make myself rewind to double check. 

• Love 9

Loved all 3 contestants and their interview stories, & started actively rooting for Liz after the story about her mom. Like Lane & Alex, my father-in-law bought his high school dream car 20+ years after graduation too - a 1964 Corvette. 

The only TS I got were comptroller (correct after the fact) & diminished chord. Seems like Lane should have gotten a BMS for Kaiser Wilhelm to include his ordinal of II. FJ was an instaget as soon as I saw the word amber. 

11 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

*sobbing uncontrollably as I hand my statuette to @Toothbrush*

Gimmee!!! I feel like the Anne Baxter to your Bette Davis..lol

10 hours ago, Bliss said:

LOL... I enjoy reading the posts here and want to thank all of you who share similar thoughts - like "Urinate!" for "... year in 8". I'm glad I'm not the only one whose hearing leads to instantaneous belly jiggling laughter. Not that my belly jiggles. Ha.

Brought to mind the fairly recent episode in which, "I'll take Dick for $2000, Alex!" just about made me spew my mouthful of wine. That one still makes me snicker.

OMG - how did that one escape my & Dr. Toothbrush's dirty minds??? Hilarious! 

Love your message to Alex, and I co-sign!

2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

It was a shout out to you! I think the writers think they are being clever & cute. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, tallykat said:

I missed the stories  I was with my mom and my sister called  she knows not to call during Jeopardy!  Of course my mom answers the phone.

My TS were Volcano, Vitamin k, DD syncopated, Diminished. I don’t think I ran the music category but I did surprise myself. I guess I do pay attention when music theory comes up. Also only missed tourniquet in the Auntie Coagulant category. My brain got stuck on the clue.  

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Amber made FJ easy peasy for me, too. It was a major plot line in the movie, plus it stuck in my mind because of Dragonfly In Amber, the second Outlander book. That amber stuff rocks in many ways.

I first shouted out "Outlander" - because of Dragonfly in Amber, (and because I binged the most recent season on my free week of STARZ), but then I was "wait, that's a tv show, not a movie..." I searched my brain for amber, and finally (duh) came up with Jurassic Park (in time).

• Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

It was a pun with the clues.  Each clue had "Auntie Coagulant" giving some advice.  Several clues (or all of them, I don't remember) were phrased thusly: "Auntie says 'Eat veggies like kale and spinach' which are high in this substance.'"  What is Vitamin K? Because Vitamin K helps with coagulation. I don't remember the tourniquet clue, which I blew, I think because it was the first one and was the introduction to the "theme," but it was something like: "Auntie recommends using this method (a French term) to staunch blood flow from an artery." What is tourniquet. It's a bit ironic because an anticoagulant *prevents* coagulation and "Auntie Coagulant" was giving us ways to help coagulation. IIRC. Maybe some had to do with anticoagulation as well, I just remember the one I missed and the TS Vitamin K.

Edited by tallykat
to make sense
  • Love 3

I thought that a FJ answer of Jurassic Park was so easy that the book title must be different from the movie title thus making the question a little harder. This might actually be the only case where I have seen the movie and not read the book so I did not know they had the same title. TIL.

• Love 1

I took the first night's test and am positive I missed more than four so you guys will have to continue on without saber to kick around in your online posts.

And I took the test last night and definitely missed more than 4, so you can't diss me, either -- hah! My problem, which I should have realized before taking the test, was that I knew most of the answers (questions?) but I've never learned to touch-type. Okay, yes, I know; I've written over 20 books without touch-typing.

So <g>, time kept running out before I could click on Submit.

And now, thanks to y'all, I cringe every time I hear someone start a sentence with "So."

• Love 4
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 3:25 PM, Browncoat said:

If he was born in India while it was under British rule, he's British. 

Also, his father was British, and a member of the civil service ruling that part of India.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, Clanstarling said:
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:29 PM, The Wild Sow said:

I don't remember exactly what we studied in 8th grade (other than that I took Latin  that year!)  But 6th grade was Beowulf.  All Beowulf, all the time.

Gawd, I hated Beowulf!

6th grade? Wow. I didn't study it until college - and I hated it too.

I read it in high school and hated it, but read it again in college and discovered that I actually liked it.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, Browncoat said:

I thought theremin when the clue was read, before they showed the photo, and couldn't get theremin out of my head.

I saw someone playing Franklin's glass armonica one.  Pretty cool.  I said harmonium, which I'd have argued was correct, because it is.

I got Japan and Jordan very quickly, and think I got Jamaica in time to write it down, but maybe not.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mystery Author said:

And I took the test last night and definitely missed more than 4, so you can't diss me, either -- hah! My problem, which I should have realized before taking the test, was that I knew most of the answers (questions?) but I've never learned to touch-type. Okay, yes, I know; I've written over 20 books without touch-typing.

So <g>, time kept running out before I could click on Submit.

And now, thanks to y'all, I cringe every time I hear someone start a sentence with "So."

It's my understanding that their floor is 35/50, so depending on how many you got correct you may still be okay. I was chatting with a former champ on another board, and she said she scored 36/50 on the online test and received an audition invitation. They put everyone above the floor in a lottery for actual auditions, so as long as you have at least the minimum number correct you have a chance of getting on the show.

If I don't make regular Jeopardy I'm going to try for the Teachers' Tournament. I'm not sure when they test for that, but I may as well give it a shot.

• Love 8
(edited)
23 hours ago, Tunia said:

I liked them.  Of course, I ran the category, so I might be biased.

17 hours ago, teebax said:

knew comptroller was acceptable when I said it and Hannah said it. My mom is a retired comptroller.

That's what I said as well.

I got volcano and syncopation.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, teebax said:

If I don't make regular Jeopardy I'm going to try for the Teachers' Tournament. I'm not sure when they test for that, but I may as well give it a shot.

Teebax, I'm so excited for you! And if your friend is correct in number of test answers missed, maybe I'll get a call too. (Doubtful though.)

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, teebax said:

There isn't a separate test for teachers. From https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/contestant-faqs

HOW DO I APPLY TO BE IN A TOURNAMENT?

All tests and auditions for teens and college students are tournament-specific. There are no separate tests or auditions for the Teachers Tournament. Teachers will go through the regular adult contestant selection process and may be invited to compete on the regular show or in the Teachers Tournament.

• Love 2

How does the show know someone is a teacher? I wasn't asked for my occupation. Maybe those who get asked for the second round have to list a profession? (I just answered my own question, I believe.)

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I hear reporters, authors, and others being interviewed on NPR and starting their sentences with "So" all the time. So, it doesn't bother me.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I hear reporters, authors, and others being interviewed on NPR and starting their sentences with "So" all the time. So, it doesn't bother me.

To me that makes it even worse.  I take that to mean it's infecting every area of discourse and every level of education.  So it annoys me more.  (And we both just used "So" correctly.)

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

To me that makes it even worse.  I take that to mean it's infecting every area of discourse and every level of education.  So it annoys me more.

Amen to that. Agree 100 percent that because people say (or do) something repeatedly doesn't make it correct. One glaring example is the use of "over" instead of the correct "more than." "This thread has over 90 pages to it." GAH! Every time I hear it on tv or radio, or read it anywhere, I mentally correct it to "more than." That keeps me busy pretty much all day. And night.

My new pet peeve is the constant use of "absolutely." Everyone is saying that now instead of "yes." "Are you going to the movie?" "Absolutely." "Do you have the traffic report?" "Absolutely." That one drives me ABSOLUTELY CRAZY.

So ... (ha) there you have it. Grammar lesson for today.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, dcalley said:

There isn't a separate test for teachers. From https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestant/contestant-faqs

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

How does the show know someone is a teacher? I wasn't asked for my occupation. Maybe those who get asked for the second round have to list a profession? (I just answered my own question, I believe.)

Thanks for that link, DCALLEY! I learned something new today! I thought it asked for my profession when I registered, but I could be misremembering. 

As for this episode, Lane pissed me off by slow-playing at the end. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it really does. It screams of bad sportsmanship. I know some would argue it's smart, but I hate it regardless. It's a shame because I was just thinking how much I liked his demeanor as a player. Now I'm not sad he lost. I liked Megan and new champ, Mark, so it was still a good game for me as a viewer.

My gets were autumnal equinox, Ellery Queen, and horse. Also, we finally got a German clue. I wish we'd get a category, but I was excited to get a clue in a foreign language I'm way better at than French!

I got FJ before Alex finished reading and spent the think music wondering what, if any, wrong responses we'd see. I didn't even think about Hewlitt-Packard, although it isn't a bad guess.

• Love 5

I went through dcalley's link and was amused by this topic link (which made me think of us):

I HAVE AN IDEA FOR A CATEGORY!

We appreciate your creativity, but we are unable to accept unsolicited submissions.

• Love 3