Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

A glance at Kurt Vonnegut’s wiki page shows that I have lost my ever-loving mind because there is nothing there that is even CLOSE to Animal Farm so all I can think is that I've been wrong about the author of that work my entire life.  I’ll shut up about it now, heh.

I figured maybe you connected Slaughterhouse 5 with animals, and ended up with Animal Farm. Stranger connections have been made.

I guessed Gulliver's Travels, and refuse to be embarrassed about it. ;) (hated Animal Farm)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew Clement Clark Moore

The authorship of "A Visit from St. Nicholas" has long been in dispute. Some scholars attribute the poem to Henry Livingston Jr. I wonder what the judges would have said if someone rang in with that answer.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I didn't get FJ, but it seemed obvious in retrospect. I made the leap from hee haw to animal, just didnt quite get far enough!

I guessed Gulliver's Travels. I think 'hee haw' made me think of Yahoo, and I thought the lands Gulliver visited may have been thought of as utopias by some. I dunno. I've never read it. 

The only TS I got was screw/sinew.

Although I grew impatient with Jack's slowness in picking a clue, he impressed me with his knowledge. He did esp well in the TV category, in which I did terrible, and I'm usually pretty good at it. 

• Love 4

I missed the episode, but just checked the archive:

Like the contestants, I had no idea who did the “stockings are hung by the chimney with care” poem; I’d never thought about it.

Unlike the contestants, I knew Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

I also got Northeastern, and if they’d gone in order, it would have followed Northwestern – I wonder if that would have helped.

The groom and bloom TS surprised me.  I didn’t come up with bucket and buffet until the last second (I had buffet, but because the spelling similarity was not accompanied by sounding the same, it took me several beats to come up with bucket), but groom and bloom was an instaget.  I couldn’t come up with sinew (sinewy, I know, but sinew just wasn’t in my brain) as the counterpart to screw, though.  I love those types of categories.

I’m all over the place with pop culture; sometimes I’m a wiz, and sometimes I’m a total ignoramus.  The TV category was in the latter column – I only got the first clue (James Spader).

“Identify Hungary on a map” for $1000?  Jeez, I hate this show sometimes.

FJ was an instaget, but then I started questioning myself if I was just making a leap, so I started analyzing each aspect of the clue and hesitantly stuck with my response.

• Love 1

I got stuck on thinking curry instead of groom for the horse

Me, too!

I guessed Gulliver's Travels...and I thought the lands Gulliver visited may have been thought of as utopias by some. I dunno. I've never read it. 

I've never read it, either, but I've seen the 1939 animated feature (I'm now singing "Faithful/Forever"), and for those who have never seen it, it's worth looking up the songs on YouTube. The script was written by Jonathan Swift, based on his own satire. So <g>, I guessed Gulliver, too, after discarding Lord of the Flies by Brit author Golding. Talk about overthinking!

For some reason I thought Orwell was an American author.

• Love 2

I liked Jack ok, but he needs to speed up & take it down a decibel or 3. Impressive comeback for Rob, who prevented the game from being a runaway for Jack, even after losing everything on his DD. Was Matt even there? 

TS I got were groom/bloom, Moore, Northeastern. I said 1984 for FJ, but figured it was wrong because of the word hee-haw in the clue, which hinted that animals were involved. Dr. Toothbrush got it pretty quickly. 

ID Hungary on a map for $1,000.00? Really? Even I, the geography dunce, got it right. 

Dr. Toothbrush & I giggled because the contestants shorthanded "Year Ending in 8" to "Year in 8", which sounded like urinate to our clearly immature ears. 

4 hours ago, Kathira said:

I knew you guys wouldn't like Jack with his weird pausing and hipster hair. 

The weird pausing bothered me a lot more than the hair. However, all bets are off if he shows up with a man bun. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

I couldn’t come up with sinew (sinewy, I know, but sinew just wasn’t in my brain) as the counterpart to screw, though.  I love those types of categories.

"If you can force your heart and nerve and SINEW

To serve your turn long after they are gone,   

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’"

Since Kipling's "If" turned up in another category, there it is!  In 4th grade, we studied that poem in depth.  And had to recite it from memory!  50-some years later, I could probably still close my eyes and do it.  

And, no, I've never Kippled! ;-)

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Dr. Toothbrush & I giggled because the contestants shorthanded "Year Ending in 8" to "Year in 8", which sounded like urinate to our clearly immature ears. 

Make room on your sofa for me. I was coming here to say the same thing!

1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

In 4th grade, we studied that poem in depth.  And had to recite it from memory!  50-some years later, I could probably still close my eyes and do it.  

Same here, but I think it was in 8th grade for us.

I'm sorry but I am really tired of Alex. For me, it is time for him to retire and go around the world for the tenth time.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I'm sorry but I am really tired of Alex. For me, it is time for him to retire and go around the world for the tenth time.

Be careful of what you wish for. He had that clot in his brain not too long ago. If only it took out his ability to use just the right accent for everything. I’ll go to my chair in the corner now. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Continuity
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

ID Hungary on a map for $1,000.00? Really? Even I, the geography dunce, got it right. 

And I, geography dunce (and person whose family is in Austria, for goodness sake) didn't. Smacks head.

Yes, I heard urinate too, I laughed each time.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

As well as the map for Western Michigan for $800 followed by the gimme Eastern Michigan for $1000???? They should have been the first two clues!!

Here are my directional schools: U of West Florida, U of North Florida, U of Central Florida, U of South Florida, and for $1000, Nova Southeast University. Then you can just show a map of Florida for all the clues! Or maybe Sewanee: the University of the South (TN). How about Southwestern in Texas? Or Southwestern in Memphis (now Rhodes College). I know we had "Southern" California, it just would have been nice to be a little more geographically diverse for the category. 

• Love 3

Is Jack's hair a man bun or pony tail?  Man bun is wrong on so many levels.  Even I, the history idiot, figured out 1788 for the Constitutional Convention (or whatever the DD was).

• Love 5
5 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

"If you can force your heart and nerve and SINEW

To serve your turn long after they are gone,   

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’"

Since Kipling's "If" turned up in another category, there it is!  In 4th grade, we studied that poem in depth.  And had to recite it from memory!  50-some years later, I could probably still close my eyes and do it.  

And, no, I've never Kippled! ;-)

My dad has this poem on a tapestry that hung on the wall for my entire childhood - I don't think I can recite it all from memory, but I can instantly recognize any lines from it. Just for the familiarity, it is one of my favourite poems.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was pretty sure about FJ, though I wondered what Alex meant by "several possibilities come to mind."

I thought of Animal Farm first, then figured maybe it was too on the nose and almost switched to Brave New World.  Glad I didn't.

16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew Clement Clark Moore, Elizabeth Barrett Browning (surprised no one came up with her after Rob said Robert Browning), Northeastern, Horseman pass by, and Jasper Johns.

I got Clement Moore and Elizabeth Barrett Browning.  I thought of Northeastern a fraction of a second too late, and couldn't come up with Jasper Johns although I did say "that flag guy".  I said 1778 for the one daily double - oops, but got the other one.

14 hours ago, Kathira said:

My son is in 7th grade and they're studying the Constitution and Bill of Rights, so 1788 was an easy get. FJ was a true instaget - I knew it at a glance.  I knew you guys wouldn't like Jack with his weird pausing and hipster hair. 

I didn't notice the pausing.  Did hate the hipster hair, but really hated the shouting.

2 hours ago, tallykat said:

As well as the map for Western Michigan for $800 followed by the gimme Eastern Michigan for $1000???? They should have been the first two clues!!

I can proudly say I would've gotten Western Michigan without the map, because I once thought about applying for their graduate program in Medieval and Renaissance Studies.  (It's a very well-regarded program.)

• Love 1

I went to see Black Panther last night, so am just getting to last night's game.  I hated it.  I hated Rob, I hated Jack, and I hated that Matt so spectacularly crashed and burned, especially after he toned down his intro antics.  However, he did make the correct bet for FJ -- if you're that far behind, and it's not a runaway, bet nothing.

I only got Clement C. Moore, Elizabeth Browning and coulomb.  And coulomb was a guess.  I also got stuck on curry (then on comb), and couldn't figure out groom and bloom.

FJ was an instaget, and then I tried to second-guess myself wondering if Orwell was British.  I should probably read Animal Farm sometime, but I probably won't.  :)

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget, and then I tried to second-guess myself wondering if Orwell was British.  I should probably read Animal Farm sometime, but I probably won't.  :)

Orwell was born in Motihari, India so I was surprised that he came up under British. 

BUH BYE JACK! [yes I'm shouting]

I really liked that FJ clue even though I missed Jordan. Total facepalm since I scanned the globe in my mind and hit Jerusalem (obv not a country) but still didn't get Jordan immediately afterward.

For TS I got Prevention and grapefruit league. There were a bunch in the Double Jeopardy round but I forgot the category and just couldn't follow.

Anyone else taking the Jeopardy online quiz tonight? I always crash and burn but it’s fun to try.

• Love 9
(edited)

I came up with Japan and Jordan but couldn't think of Jamaica. I did get Prevention, mentor, and vernal.

Well, Shouting Jack turned out to be a one and done. I hope Lane has a good run; I liked his airplane story.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5

I got Prevention, Seattle, Fedora, and Northern Pike. I ran the magazine category and think, like Mojoween, that I would have gotten all of the fishes...if they had completed the category. Alex took his time thanking everyone on that Galapagos trip and took up too much playing time. 

• Love 5

I wasn't a fan of that FJ clue, but I'm biased because I only could come up with Japan and Jamaica. We've talked about this before, but I really don't like when there's so much to write that if you don't know the answer immediately you're screwed. I can't remember what the answer was the last time this came up, but it was something long they'd have to write.

Anyway, my gets were Grapefruit League, mentor, and audible. I'm taking the J test tonight. Good luck to anyone else who is taking/has taken it this time around!

• Love 8

I got Prevention and mentor that I remember. I also got the FJ, although Jordan took the longest to get and even then I wondered if ti was a member of the UN. I'm going to try the test tonight. I've never done it before. I tried the practice tests and did OK, but not great. It should be fun anyway.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yay Lane!  Bu-buy Shouting Jack*.  Emily won the award for most goofy guesses - the Galapagos aren't off the coast of the Philippines, Sandhill Butterflies (?), and a trout looks nothing like a pike (and I'm certainly no fish aficionado but I was doing well in the fishy category).

I always groan when they select a category like the Galapagos one where someone is reading the clue and giving all kinds of extraneous information.  They're a big time suck.  And then Alex has to thank everyone involved like he's just won an Oscar and doesn't want to win the jet ski.

I got Prevention, Seattle, fedora, audible, and Northern Pike.

With pen poised over my paper, I was unable to write down anything except Java for FJ, which was wrong.  At least I didn't guess Jakarta.

*I figured out what really bugged me about Jack.  He had creepy Pranjal eyes.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks. You win tonight's Internet.

Oh!  You like me!  You like me!  I'd like to thank everyone I've ever known, every single relative, even the ones I don't like, and a special shout out to...(play off music plays loudly).  ? 

• Love 14
(edited)

Since I crashed and burned on FJ I hope that all my TS gets would make me uncatchable. 

Prevention, Vernal, Grapefruit (I’m a Florida girl), Seattle, Frederick, Audible, Glass harmonica (saw one played in Boston a few years ago) and Pike. OK, hubs got Frederick. He’s my military/royalty/European history go to.

How many Galapagos clues actually had to do with Galapagos? It was like: pointless fact about the Galapagos—name the whale book! 

We wanted the fish category!

Edited by tallykat
Not negative
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Well, Shouting Jack turned out to be a one and done. I hope Lane has a good run; I liked his airplane story.

I thought his story was boring, but then I know someone who performed an emergency landing on a freeway after his engine cut out,  so I'm a bit spoiled.

Edited by Brookside
Taking out extraneous stuff.
  • Love 2

Seattle was the "Really?" TS for me tonight -- with Spokane and Olympia ruled out, I cannot believe the third contestant didn't ring in with Seattle.  I was annoyed they didn't finish the suffragette category; I'd have gone there first.

Audible was also surprising; these folks would have fit right in with the contestants who basically stood there silently for the infamous football category a while back.  Like the "off-setting" clue in that category, this had, IMO, enough of a non-football way to get to the right answer that I am surprised not one of them could do it.

I watch very few animated films, so I thought I was going to blow that films by villain category, but by cultural osmosis, I had picked up a couple of them -- Pinnochio and Beauty and the Best -- even though I haven't seen them.

Japan and Jordan came to me instantly for FJ, but then I floundered around trying to come up with another J island nation before having my, "Duh, Jamaica!" moment; I wouldn't have had time to write it down, I don't think.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Alex took his time thanking everyone on that Galapagos trip and took up too much playing time. 

And what's the obsession of aging (American) males dressing up as if they're roughing it on a strenuous safari?

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 8

All I got for FJ was Japan. I thought about Jakarta but, like Emily, knew that wasn't a country.

I really only got one TS: pike. I mean, I also got Seattle, but that was because the two guys narrowed it down for me.

I don't think I'd ever seen a glass harmonica, though I've heard of it. Very cool.

I'm surprised I've never heard of the Grapefruit League.

Yay, Lane!

• Love 3
(edited)

I was watching MLB Network the other day and the crawl on the bottom had updates about the Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues and I said “oh! The Grapefruit League is in Florida and The Cactus League is in Arizona!  I get it now” and my husband looked at me with what appeared to be a fair amount of pity.

I got audible and pike and wondered if Alex would have given me a BMS on pike.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, Spunkygal said:
17 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

In 4th grade, we studied that poem in depth.  And had to recite it from memory!  50-some years later, I could probably still close my eyes and do it.  

Same here, but I think it was in 8th grade for us.

I don't remember exactly what we studied in 8th grade (other than that I took Latin  that year!)  But 6th grade was Beowulf.  All Beowulf, all the time.

Gawd, I hated Beowulf!

• Love 2

That's the other one I got - glass armonica. Was it just me, or was there a weird edit with that clue? One second they were showing the video of someone playing and the next second Alex was saying the answer. It was hard to tell when the time to buzz in started. I thought they usually can't buzz in until the video or clue reading stops. If it's a TS, there's usually a few awkward seconds where everyone looks blank, the buzzer rings and Alex tells us the answer, shaking his head as if he just knew it and wasn't reading it off his screen.

I thought Emily seemed frustrated with the clicker, like she clearly knew the answer several times but couldn't get the  timing right. I think I like the new champ. He seemed refeshingly normal.

I did take the test tonight, but I'm sure I missed too many to make the cut. Fun, though.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Kathira said:

That's the other one I got - glass armonica. Was it just me, or was there a weird edit with that clue? One second they were showing the video of someone playing and the next second Alex was saying the answer. It was hard to tell when the time to buzz in started. I thought they usually can't buzz in until the video or clue reading stops. If it's a TS, there's usually a few awkward seconds where everyone looks blank, the buzzer rings and Alex tells us the answer, shaking his head as if he just knew it and wasn't reading it off his screen.

I thought Emily seemed frustrated with the clicker, like she clearly knew the answer several times but couldn't get the  timing right. I think I like the new champ. He seemed refeshingly normal.

I did take the test tonight, but I'm sure I missed too many to make the cut. Fun, though.

From what I could tell, I got 46 out of 50, which is the best I've ever done. I'm feeling quite proud but not holding out hope for an audition. 

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was watching MLB Network the other day and the crawl on the bottom had updates about the Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues and I said “oh! The Grapefruit League is in Florida and The Cactus League is in Arizona!  I get it now” and he looked at me with what appeared to be a fair amount of pity.

Very similar story for me except it was ESPN and some time ago. I was so pleased with myself for making the connection I ignored the pity (and then shade) in my boyfriend's reaction!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was watching MLB Network the other day and the crawl on the bottom had updates about the Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues and I said “oh! The Grapefruit League is in Florida and The Cactus League is in Arizona!  I get it now” and my husband looked at me with what appeared to be a fair amount of pity.

2 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Very similar story for me except it was ESPN and some time ago. I was so pleased with myself for making the connection I ignored the pity (and then shade) in my boyfriend's reaction!

Even before picking up this knowledge, I bet neither of you would have said, "Bush League" in response to the clue.
That did it for me.  Get off my screen Jack!  (I'm a huge baseball fan.)

• Love 8

Bye shouty Jack. Lane was just part of the furniture for me, so when he won I was like, "how did that happen"? 

TS I got were Prevention, Seattle, & goody two-shoes (Jack's missed DD). For FJ I immediately said Java, Jordan, & Jamaica, and Dr. Toothbrush said, "don't forget Japan". Duh! Then we paused the recording while we debated which were the 2 countries other than Japan. He said Jordan & Jamaica, and I said Java & Jamaica, so he was correct, albiet about 3 minutes too late. 

Alex (announcing categories): Disney Villains

Dr. Toothbrush: Jack looks like a Disney villain

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Oh!  You like me!  You like me!  I'd like to thank everyone I've ever known, every single relative, even the ones I don't like, and a special shout out to...(play off music plays loudly).  ? 

I'm sorry, CarpeDiem54, but Faye Dunaway saber5055 read the wrong name of the winner. Boo hiss

47 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Even before picking up this knowledge, I bet neither of you would have said, "Bush League" in response to the clue.
That did it for me.  Get off my screen Jack!  (I'm a huge baseball fan.)

*raises hand* But I was 99.9% certain I was incorrect. 

• Love 11
(edited)

This FJ I might get wrong if I was on the show  because it seems so obvious that I  might try to think of reasons Jamaica wasnt in the UN. It was basically name countries that start with J and yet two people couldn't do it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1