Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yay Gilbert!  I was terrified that Tyler might win.  He gave off a smug, douchey vibe.  YMMV.

I got lanolin, Bourbon Street, saw grass, and Casablanca.

30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had no answer for FJ except, "What was the play Lincoln attended the night he got shot?"  I can't even be certain that I ever knew the name of the play.

Same here.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay Gilbert!  I was terrified that Tyler might win.  He gave off a smug, douchey vibe.  YMMV.

I got lanolin, Bourbon Street, saw grass, and Casablanca.

Same here.

And TYLER - don’t use Alex’s tired “I must be too young to know this” excuse, ugh

• Love 9

I didn't like Tyler. I didn't like his before my time comment when he hit the DD. I didn't like him staring down the other contestants. I didn't like his eyebrows. Okay, the last one is silly, but by then it was bitch eating crackers time. 

I can't believe two of them missed FJ, although young Tyler was close. I figured that was so easy they'd all have it right. 

My other gets were eddy, Pink, Bourbon Street (great song and gettable if you know Anne Rice's New Orleans connection), sawgrass, Hinton, and Moonlight. 

• Love 5

I was happy for Gilbert too. I hope he gets at least one more win to qualify for the ToC. 

With Casablanca, I know Bogart and Bergman, but honestly I forgot who the other actors were. It was before my time, you know. :)

Got Moonlight from the actors list. It took me a second to realize that the writers were doing a take on the Oscars mishap. Got sawgrass too. I even cut myself on it while on a mini-golf course vacationing with my family in Florida. It's the last time I'll reach under a plant to get my golf ball. I was around 10 at the time and the top of my right ring finger healed up in a couple of days.  Watching the TPC Sawgrass golf tournament reminds me of that event.  

Got Our American Cousin too. Basically every US history teacher I ever had mentioned it was the play when Lincoln got shot so it stuck in my mind. 

• Love 4

For half an instant, I thought it couldn't be Our American Cousin--on the theory that once a president is assassinated during a performance of your play, that should pretty much shut you down for good (unless it's Hamlet or something).  Maybe they figured that after fifty years people wouldn't be too thin-skinned.  I know you wouldn't have caught me dead at that particular revival.  So to speak.

Also, not to be mean to kids, but if we never have another precocious hammy junior clue reader again, it'll be too soon.  And now I'll be boarding my nonstop flight to hell.

• Love 8

Also, not to be mean to kids, but if we never have another precocious hammy junior clue reader again, it'll be too soon.  And now I'll be boarding my nonstop flight to hell.

I'll join you if I can have the window seat.

For TS I got eddy, Foo Fighters, and P!nk, and the Bourbon Street DD. Tyler was merely annoying to me in the first segment but when he said he was too young to know a song from the 80s, he was dead to me.

I blew FJ because I knew which play it was, but not the name of the play. Now I'll never forget it #myjeopardyeducation. But yay Gilbert!

Got Moonlight from the actors list. It took me a second to realize that the writers were doing a take on the Oscars mishap. 

It was slow on the uptake there also because those weren't actors from La La Land, were they (I haven't seen it)? Sometimes I'm too literal for my own good.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 4

Tonight I got eddy, lanolin, sawgrass, Wimsey (guess none of them watch PBS) Paganini and Casablanca. Also got DD of Bourbon St. FJ was an instaget for me, thanks to fourth grade history class. 

Thank goodness Gilbert won again. That guy on the end was too smarmy with his smirking & too young comment. He must’ve had help when he did his online Jeopardy test. That’s the only explanation I can think of as to how he wound up on the show.

Edited by Miss Chevious
It’s Monday
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

With Casablanca, I know Bogart and Bergman, but honestly I forgot who the other actors were. It was before my time, you know. :)

I kicked myself for not knowing this one, but Peter Lorre had such a small part and was gone so quickly and Claude Rains -- well, to me he's The Invisible Man first, then he's Mr. Skeffington and then he's with Bette Davis again in Now Voyager.  So by the time I've tripped down that memory lane, they've moved on to the next question.

The Bourbon Street failure was mind-boggling.  What other street is there in New Orleans? 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

It was slow on the uptake there also because those weren't actors from La La Land, were they (I haven't seen it)? Sometimes I'm too literal for my own good.

J.K. Simmons, John Legend and Rosemarie DeWitt were supporting characters in La La Land, but La La Land didn't win Best Picture.

Naomie Harris, Patrick Decile, and Andre Holland were in Moonlight, the Best Picture Winner. 

• Love 2

I thought this group didn't know surprising things, but thinking back, was it the general pop culture stuff? Ann Rice, Lord Peter WImsey, even leaving the "album" category for last?

I'm excited to finally have a longer run! Especially since I felt like Gilbert just squeaked through his first couple of games.

• Love 3

I actually appreciated that the kid actor was a better clue reader than most of the celeb category hosts—he spoke clearly and quickly, and was pretty adorable as well (I don’t watch his show, so this was my first viewing of him). 

My first pub/restaurant trivia night winning answer, back in 1985ish, was Our American Cousin, so FJ was a gimme. 

The TSs I remember getting were Wimsey, Pink, and Casablanca.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I actually appreciated that the kid actor was a better clue reader than most of the celeb category hosts—he spoke clearly and quickly, and was pretty adorable as well (I don’t watch his show, so this was my first viewing of him). 

While I do watch Young Sheldon where he is the star of the show, my first experience watching Iain Armitage was in Big Little Lies where he was excellent in a pivotal role.  This youngster has a lot of talent.  And he did a great job as a Jeopardy! clue reader too!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I blew FJ because I knew which play it was, but not the name of the play. Now I'll never forget it #myjeopardyeducation.

Make that #OURjeopardyeducation. I made the same mistake as Tyler and said My American Cousin. I was shocked when Alex said that was wrong. Darn it all. But I'm glad Gilbert got it right.

44 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

Yes, I thought he did pretty good. As you said, he did a lot better -- i.e., faster -- than many other guest clue readers.

39 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

While I do watch Young Sheldon where he is the star of the show, my first experience watching Iain Armitage was in Big Little Lies where he was excellent in a pivotal role. 

OMGosh! I didn't realize that was the same actor! Wow.

For TSs, I got eddy, lanolin, Orlando, Armani, Lord Peter Wimsey, and Casablanca, as well as DDs Bourbon St and Faulkner. Instead of sawgrass, I said sawtooth. A little brain hiccup.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

If Alex wouldn't have wasted 25 seconds or so jokingly telling us that he doesn't want to lose his job to the likes of Iain Armitage, perhaps we could have heard one more clue in the "Whose Album" category.  Not clearing the board drives me crazy, especially when the remaining clues often seem to be in categories of interest to me, tonight music and movies (DJ.)

Me too! I would really have liked to see all the clues in the Oscar supporting roles category.

2 hours ago, dcalley said:

I knew "American" was in the title but not the full title. Oh well.

I knew it started with "Our"... we'd make a good team!

57 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I thought this group didn't know surprising things, but thinking back, was it the general pop culture stuff? Ann Rice, Lord Peter WImsey, even leaving the "album" category for last?

They also didn't know eddy, which tells me they don't do crossword puzzles haha

• Love 10

I was so sad that Lord Peter Wimsey was a TS. Not as bad a Robert Redford last week, but still. I also got lanolin, Orlando and sawgrass. I knew Orlando from the movie where Tilda Swinton plays Orlando, as both a man and a woman, and Quentin Crisp plays Queen Elizabeth. It's a weird movie, but well worth seeking out, if only for the costumes, which were done by Sandy Powell, who has won a shelf-load of awards, including 3 Oscars, for costume design.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5

Really, Tyler?  You are too young to know something that was before your time?  Because people are incapable of knowing about things that pre-date them?!  Lamest excuse ever.  Douchenozzle.

Edited by MooCat Pretzel
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

He was way better than Sandra Day O'Connor, that's for sure.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Tonight I got eddy, lanolin, sawgrass, Wimsey (guess none of them watch PBS) Paganini and Casablanca. Also got DD of Bourbon St. FJ was an instaget for me, thanks to fourth grade history class. 

Thank goodness Gilbert won again. That guy on the end was too smarmy with his smirking & too young comment. He must’ve had help when he did his online Jeopardy test. That’s the only explanation I can think of as to how he wound up on the show.

I guess none of them are Frasier fans either--there's a great Halloween episode where they all have to go as literary characters, and Niles brings Lord Peter Whimsey instead of Sherlock Holmes to his dad.  I will never forget that name after watching that bit.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

If Alex wouldn't have wasted 25 seconds or so jokingly telling us that he doesn't want to lose his job to the likes of Iain Armitage, perhaps we could have heard one more clue in the "Whose Album" category.  Not clearing the board drives me crazy, especially when the remaining clues often seem to be in categories of interest to me, tonight music and movies (DJ.)

It's getting to where I say that a lot.

"If Alex wouldn't have wasted x amount of time doing <fill in appropriate time waster>" we could maybe, you know, finish the GAME.

Double the annoyance factor if he does it with an "accent", French or otherwise.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, illdoc said:

OMG!!! How? How is it possible that 2 contestants missed FJ?!!!!  One had no answer (in excusable) and one had a "bad pronoun". The moment you saw "play" & "Booth" you should have gotten it!!! 

I used the "bad" pronoun. Oh well, it was before my time. ;)

11 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I kicked myself for not knowing this one, but Peter Lorre had such a small part and was gone so quickly and Claude Rains -- well, to me he's The Invisible Man first, then he's Mr. Skeffington and then he's with Bette Davis again in Now Voyager.  So by the time I've tripped down that memory lane, they've moved on to the next question.

The Bourbon Street failure was mind-boggling.  What other street is there in New Orleans? 

Canal Street. That's the one I went with. There's also Desire (as in Street Car Named...) 

I too chose The Invisible Man, which is funny because I haven't seen that movie, but have seen Casablanca. 

11 hours ago, ProudMary said:

While I do watch Young Sheldon where he is the star of the show, my first experience watching Iain Armitage was in Big Little Lies where he was excellent in a pivotal role.  This youngster has a lot of talent.  And he did a great job as a Jeopardy! clue reader too!

When I heard he was cast as Young Sheldon (having seen him in Big Little Lies), I knew he'd do a great job. 

2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I guess none of them are Frasier fans either--there's a great Halloween episode where they all have to go as literary characters, and Niles brings Lord Peter Whimsey instead of Sherlock Holmes to his dad.  I will never forget that name after watching that bit.

Guess I'm the nerd. I knew it from the books.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Didn't Roz go as Orlando?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

No, she went as O, the title character in “The Story of O”. That was the night she found out she was pregnant with Alice.

Oh, right!  I remembered that was the night she found out about Alice, but had blanked on the character she came as.  Thanks!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, DrScottie said:

J.K. Simmons, John Legend and Rosemarie DeWitt were supporting characters in La La Land, but La La Land didn't win Best Picture.

Naomie Harris, Patrick Decile, and Andre Holland were in Moonlight, the Best Picture Winner. 

Thank you for explaining this.  I had no clue.  I hope Gilbert wins today so 1.  he can be in the ToC and 2.  We can have a 5 day champ.  Seems like a long time.  A few years ago I finally learned the play title is OUR American Cousin.  I always thought it was AN American Cousin.  Shades of misplaced pronoun.  Nobody knowing Casablanca is sad.  "You despise me, don't you Rick?"  "Well, if I gave you any thought I probably would."  I instantly knew Peter Whimsey because I had a huge crush on Ian Carmichael back in the 70s. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

For half an instant, I thought it couldn't be Our American Cousin--on the theory that once a president is assassinated during a performance of your play, that should pretty much shut you down for good (unless it's Hamlet or something).  Maybe they figured that after fifty years people wouldn't be too thin-skinned.  I know you wouldn't have caught me dead at that particular revival.  So to speak.

I momentarily wondered if the answer might be a play about Lincoln, such as Young Abe Lincoln or Abe Lincoln in Illinois, which weren't revived once movies became big. But the date was about 15-20 years too soon for either of those plays. 

Really, Tyler?  You are too young to know something that was before your time?  Because people are incapable of knowing about things that pre-dated them?!  Lamest excuse ever.  Douchenozzle.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was making a bad joke. How often have we taken Alex to task for making a similar comment?

I don't think the clue mentioned NO, just Anne Rice, and the Sting song.

• Love 6

I don't think the clue mentioned NO, just Anne Rice, and the Sting song.

Yeah, he would have had to know (or remember) that Anne Rice's books mostly take place in New Orleans (they might all take place there - I haven't read all of them). 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I love the books!  I was sad no one knew that, Casablanca and Orlando.  Also, that the guy didn't know the Snopes Family.  

I never connected the site with the Faulkner characters until I saw the clue and got it right away. 

• Love 2

I never connected the site with the Faulkner characters until I saw the clue and got it right away. 

Me either!  Someone in my book group LOVES Faulkner so I know the Snopes family well but I never got the connection. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, illdoc said:

TWICE!!! Can't you count?!!! TWICE!!!!

I know, right? I'm sure she feels bad, but the consolation is she wouldn't have won anyway.

Congrats to Gilbert on becoming a five-time champion with a big win. That finish was almost as exciting as the Vikings/Saints finish last weekend. Almost. I felt bad for David, who seemed to have it locked up going into FJ. I liked all three contestants and was happy to see boards cleared.

My gets were Sookie Stackhouse, Flowers in the Attic, Distinguished Flying Cross, Madoff, This is Us, and FJ, which was an instaget for me.

• Love 6

How does ringworm = athlete's foot? I don't get it. Especially why ringworm would make you a couch potato.

I liked David and I enjoyed his limerick.

(I like Gilbert too... Not complaining about his win.)

• Love 9
1 minute ago, rubaco said:

1 minute ago, rubaco said:

How does ringworm = athlete's foot?

My only guess about this is that maybe athlete's foot is caused by ringworm? Obviously, the idea "I have athlete's foot. Don't call me a couch potato" is that "since I have athlete's foot (or tennis elbow), I must be athletic and therefore not a couch potato". But I do indeed call "Foul!!" on the "ringworm correct". 

• Love 4

I didn't expect those cooties-infested BOYS to know about Flowers in the Attic, but a woman who appears to be in her 30s who isn't familiar with that book is a rare creature indeed! For many of us, it was our first introduction to Tittilating WTF literature.

• Love 6

Started off rough with no BMS needed for Trudeau. And then continued with calling the coffee chain "Tim Horton". It's "Tim Hortons", and in a category called "Getting Possessive", the possessive matters!!! (Although Tim Hortons has omitted the apostrophe so that it works in both English and French).

And finally, "ringworm" should have been a BMS for that daily double. Athlete's foot is ringworm on your feet. Glad they went back to correct that, because that was atrocious judging initially. Tinea refers to ringworm...you can have tinea pedis, tinea capitus, tinea corporis, tinea cruris, etc. They're all just ringworm on various parts of your body. Even though they had that "couch potato" joke in there to point towards "athlete's foot", that doesn't make ringworm an incorrect answer.

• Love 12

I am really tired of poorly written clues and the judges not being ready to make a quick decision. As @secnarf just said, ringworm is tinea. Pedis is obviously foot. Gah! I immediately knew what they were going for but also that ringworm wasn't outright wrong.

• Love 3

David wasn’t very aggressive with his Final Jeopardy wager. Especially, since the amounts had changed from the commercial break. I didn’t know the answer until Olivia gave her answer and I was like, “Um, shouldn’t that be twice?”. LOL!!!!!!

• Love 4

Yay to Gilbert for the big win and qualifying for the TOC!  Now, Alex, stop whining about everyone winning with "paltry" amounts.  Tool.  I, too, liked David's limerick.

I was getting ready to smack Alex for repeating the correct answer after every single clue in the first round. STFU.

I got Gerry and the Pacemakers, Dusty Springfield, and Luzon.

I was a slackjawed idiot for FJ until Olivia revealed her answer and I screamed out TWICE!  So I'm giving myself 1/2 credit.  LOL.

• Love 14

I love Gilbert and hope I''m not jinxing his sixth win by writing that. Now maybe Alex will STFU about no one winning BIIIIGGGGG MONEEEEEYY this year. Maybe a thousand bucks is lunch money to Trebek, but it's big money to me. Gilbert has a nice paycheck coming and it's well-deserved. I love his composure and ability to be professional and a great player w/o resorting to dancing, miming, waving his arms around, making obnoxious puns or chattering constantly. Who knew any contestant could still be like that? I'll be rooting for him in TOC now.

• Love 12

I ran the entire British Invasion category, that music was from the era I grew up in. So in addition to Jerry & the Pacemakers (now they’re all old enough to actually need pacemakers, but I digress) and Dusty Springfield, I got Flowers in the Attic, Luzon and DD of athlete’s foot. 

Got FJ right away. I’ve watched the James Bond movies a gazillion times thanks to Mr. Chevious, so You Only Live Twice was shouted at the TV before Alex finished reading the clue.

Exciting finish today. Yay for Gilbert!

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

David wasn’t very aggressive with his Final Jeopardy wager.

23 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I was surprised David didn't wager more. When are we going to Gilbert's for barbeque ribs???  I cheered when he won big.

Trebek was desperate for a big win this season and got one. It also secured Glibert's place in the ToC as well. 

You sound like David would have won had he bet more or went all-in. That was no longer the case. After getting credit for ringworm, Gilbert was in the lead. David's bet was a reasonable one for being in second. Hope that Gilbert gets it wrong and bet against you and protect against if Olivia got it right and went all in.  

1 hour ago, teebax said:

My gets were Sookie Stackhouse, Flowers in the Attic, Distinguished Flying Cross, Madoff, This is Us, and FJ, which was an instaget for me.

Got all those. 

58 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I didn't expect those cooties-infested BOYS to know about Flowers in the Attic, but a woman who appears to be in her 30s who isn't familiar with that book is a rare creature indeed! For many of us, it was our first introduction to Tittilating WTF literature.

I knew it because my sister told me about it. She read it, I never did. Does that mean I have the cooties too? 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I knew it because my sister told me about it. She read it, I never did. Does that mean I have the cooties too? 

I think everyone of both sexes probably had a wicked case of Cooties until age 13 :)

• Love 3

I've never read Flowers In The Attic, either, but I knew that immediately.  I also got jumping the shark. 

Good game today -- fast paced, not too many TS, and everyone started from the top until time was running out.  I did expect Olivia to get money taken away, though, since I never heard her put a possessive on any of those answers she gave.  It bugged me. 

Also, is there something about that third podium that just makes people want to lean?  I kept wanting to smack David and tell him to stand up, dammit!

FJ was so much an instaget that I got it before Alex finished reading the clue.

Yay Gilbert!  His kids are going to be soooooo happy!  Is their 1% cut before or after taxes?

• Love 5