Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, AmyBre said:

Myriam is so full of shit.   Everyone can see that this was all a staged setup.   Patrick is such a douche.  He doesn't know that to dethrone an existing boyfriend, you can't badmouth him and ask for a chance in the same sentence.  Patrick saying "I have to respect the friend thing" and hitting on her at the same time.  What a joke.  Patrick and Myriam are so basic and so dumb (together and separately) that they are not worth writing about....Outside the boat again....Myriam, I really want to be with you.....Stop being so pushy.    and Patrick, you are 25, please stop yapping about "the love of your life".   It was nice to see Mother Patrick distill some sense into his BS.

She is full it, she gave the old "bad timing" excuse.  Uh, Patrick was talking to you before you met your boyfriend.  She's just not into him, and gives really clear signals to this that he chooses to ignore.  When someone talks about how you have all the qualities a woman wants, she's not into you.  If she's into you, she'll be telling you about what it is about YOU that SHE wants.  When someone tells you that you'll never be together, when they have no idea if their current boyfriend will last or not (probably not), they're not into you.  When your date leaves in a separate cab at the end of the night on your last day and you go back to the hotel alone, they're not into you.  When they don't send you off at the airport, they're not into you.

• Love 20
11 minutes ago, Dobian said:

She is full it, she gave the old "bad timing" excuse.  Uh, Patrick was talking to you before you met your boyfriend.  She's just not into him, and gives really clear signals to this that he chooses to ignore.  When someone talks about how you have all the qualities a woman wants, she's not into you.  If she's into you, she'll be telling you about what it is about YOU that SHE wants.  When someone tells you that you'll never be together, when they have no idea if their current boyfriend will last or not (probably not), they're not into you.  When your date leaves in a separate cab at the end of the night on your last day and you go back to the hotel alone, they're not into you.  When they don't send you off at the airport, they're not into you.

Great post and Patrick will never get it, he is such an idiot and desperate to be with Myriam

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

The only part of this episode that really pissed me the hell off was Larry's cousin telling Jenny, "Don't come to this country with that attitude." Who in the hell does he think he is? What's that pussy going to do if Jenny comes to the US with her attitude fully intact?? Oh what? She's not allowed to have a problem with you two assholes judging her before you know her, creeping on her page and making assumptions, then insulting her character? Just because she's a woman, she's not allowed to be upset about their shit talk? Maybe she is a everything they think she is but it is none of their business and cousin Larry has no right to say don't come to our country. Fuck him. Larry loves her and as dumb as that may be, it is what it is and they need to butt the hell out. Jenny may be a hot mess and maybe manipulative (I think everything she has been upset about so far has been valid), but guess what? She's Larry's little hot mess, manipulative woman now and it's his responsibility to defend her honor. She is his choice. Men like Larry who won't defend their woman make me so sick. It actually hurts me inside to see it. Take notes men. Even if you fully agree with your friends' poor opinion of the woman you chose, DO NOT ALLOW YOUR FRIEND TO TALK SHIT ABOUT YOUR WOMAN  IN YOUR PRESENCE, BEHIND HER BACK OR TO HER FACE. Larry is the biggest pussy. His cousin is a fucking elitist ass. Under no circumstances is it ok to not defend your woman. I feel bad for Jenny. 

Totally agree about Cousin Larry - "Don't come to the US with that attitude" You are not the gatekeeper of who comes here.

• Love 15
36 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

How exactly does Sean think that he can prove whether or not Abby is with Chris when he's gone?  I hope it's like that commercial where the dad has a special Cheetos dust detecting light.

Actually if Sean really paid close attention, he does have a version of "Cheetos dust" and he doesn't need a light to detect it.  Abby (as mentioned upthread) obviously still has scabies which I assume, based on the cab conversation between the two were given to her by Chris.  I don't understand why Chris doesn't get some meds for her so they'd clear up.  I'm sure she went directly to his Chris' hotel after she got rid of Sean at the airport.  Abby is a pretty good actress, squeezing out a couple of crocodile tears and then texting Sean telling how sad/missed him after he was safely on the plane.  She may love Chris, but its obvious he doesn't want/won't take her back to the States; so she's got to keep stringing ole Sean along so she can get the hell out of Haiti (or is that Hades?) and get her green card where she can find another Sugar Daddy.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Splithair said:

Totally agree about Cousin Larry - "Don't come to the US with that attitude" You are not the gatekeeper of who comes here.

I get the Family Chantel comparison, but can we please not call him Cousin Larry?  I don't want the awesomeness of the tv show Perfect Strangers sullied by this nonsense.  Although Balki did often have a goat...

• Love 11

For a moment, I thought that Sean was the only one in this series with some sense when he left Haiti without proposing  — but then the dude is flying back?  

Paul doesn’t change out of his rain gear because it’s ExOfficio brand ($$$).  He doesn’t have the funds to buy more than one set or the sense to realize he doesn’t need special adventure clothing.  You are able to wash it and it will dry quickly — but I doubt he does that. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I hope Karine will do the right thing and say no, she deserves so much better than Paul and Paul is disgusting, does he ever take a shower?

But if Karine says no, Pole might try to burn down the whole village.  That's the way he rolls.

• Love 19

Paul is such a dumbass.  He had the bilingual bellman *right there* who could have written "will you marry me" in Portuguese.  Or just write it on a piece of paper for Paul to write in the sand.  He's so stupid that I'm surprised he even hatched an arson for money plan.  (Yeah, it didn't work and he got caught, but that he even had the idea seems beyond his abilities.)

• Love 10
8 hours ago, RichiesOlderBro said:
9 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Larry is not a vegetarian. 

No?  I was proceeding from several earlier posts that said he was.  Whatever the reason he would not eat the pig, he could have - and should have - communicated it clearly and with appreciation for their effort.  

8 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

Damn! Larry is such a fucking dullard. Did he suffer a serious head injury at McD's

No, he just ate the food.  

Edited by Sprockets
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I sort of get more if the Charlie Brown vibe from him.

I see him playing Charlie Brown, but I think that's an act he learned a long time ago in an attempt to cover up what a complete dork he is.  

1 hour ago, Lizzing said:

He had the bilingual bellman *right there* who could have written "will you marry me" in Portuguese.

I'm not sure how bilingual the bellman actually was.  He might have been faking a lot of it.  But you're right, there was so much more Pole could have done.  And so much less.  As usual.  

4 hours ago, Kangatush said:

I get the Family Chantel comparison, but can we please not call him Cousin Larry?

How about Cousin It?  What a bastard he is.  Ddi you see Larry's face while he was being rude to not-a-whore?  Completely blank.  

Edited by Sprockets
typo
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Miryam does not like Patrick even a little bit.  She also does not have a boyfriend.  She is just a game-player.  I also doubt Patrick would be interested if she were suddenly "available," because he is a game-player too.  

What is wrong with Larry?  He cannot say "I'm a vegetarian," and he cannot tell his cousin to STFU.  

From the previews it looks like Pole might get dumped - respect for Karine!  She can do so much better.  And that ring?  What?  All he did was write some words in sand - words she can't even read - and he thinks that's impressive?   Get lost, psychoboy

Antonio wants Corny gone, but won't tell her as long as he might get laid again.   Corny is too dumb to see it.  

Sean has some spine, but how is he going to know whether Abby is boning Chris when he's gone?  (She is.  She never stopped.  She never will.)  

Is Larry a vegetarian, though? Wasn't he eating hot dogs with his kids in that scene in his first episode?  Has he ever said he's a vegetarian? I know he said he couldn't eat the pig, roasted for him on the spit, but I figured that was just because the pig's entire head, still attached, was wigging him out.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, RichiesOlderBro said:

The preview for next week - Sean goes back to Haiti!

OMYGOSH he is obsessed!

I like Karine now that she turned down Pole’s ring.  She’s much too good for him. Papa will be happy when he finds out. 

Happy that the mute won't be his son-in-law

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Splithair said:

No they are not.  WE ARE, right here on this board.

4 hours ago, zoemom said:

Abby (as mentioned upthread) obviously still has scabies

OMFG!  She is literally infested with parasites.

• Love 13
40 minutes ago, LocalGovt said:

Is Larry a vegetarian, though? Wasn't he eating hot dogs with his kids in that scene in his first episode?  Has he ever said he's a vegetarian? I know he said he couldn't eat the pig, roasted for him on the spit, but I figured that was just because the pig's entire head, still attached, was wigging him out.

As I said, I got that idea from the posts on this board, but who knows?  I was up to Larry to explain his behavior, and he never has.  

Why didn't Larry's cousin's wife speak to Jenny during that skype session? Wouldn't that have cleared up anything lost in translation? 

Just now, Sprockets said:

As I said, I got that idea from the posts on this board, but who knows?  I was up to Larry to explain his behavior, and he never has.  

Yeah, I've seen it mentioned several times, but I think it was more someone taking an idea (based on his spitting the meat out) and running with it.  I think he spit the food out because seeing that whole pig nauseated him, not because he's a vegetarian.  I'd be shocked if he were.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Nowhere said:

The only part of this episode that really pissed me the hell off was Larry's cousin telling Jenny, "Don't come to this country with that attitude." Who in the hell does he think he is? What's that pussy going to do if Jenny comes to the US with her attitude fully intact?? Oh what? She's not allowed to have a problem with you two assholes judging her before you know her, creeping on her page and making assumptions, then insulting her character? Just because she's a woman, she's not allowed to be upset about their shit talk? Maybe she is a everything they think she is but it is none of their business and cousin Larry has no right to say don't come to our country. Fuck him. Larry loves her and as dumb as that may be, it is what it is and they need to butt the hell out. Jenny may be a hot mess and maybe manipulative (I think everything she has been upset about so far has been valid), but guess what? She's Larry's little hot mess, manipulative woman now and it's his responsibility to defend her honor. She is his choice. Men like Larry who won't defend their woman make me so sick. It actually hurts me inside to see it. Take notes men. Even if you fully agree with your friends' poor opinion of the woman you chose, DO NOT ALLOW YOUR FRIEND TO TALK SHIT ABOUT YOUR WOMAN  IN YOUR PRESENCE, BEHIND HER BACK OR TO HER FACE. Larry is the biggest pussy. His cousin is a fucking elitist ass. Under no circumstances is it ok to not defend your woman. I feel bad for Jenny. 

If she is communicating with hundreds of men on FB that should be a serious concern for Larry and those who care about.

I think Jenny got all "hurt" and insulted to avoid answering some serious questions.  She is very manipulative and is clearly playing Larry.  Good for his cousin and wife for looking out for him.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

No they are not.  WE ARE, right here on this board.

OMFG!  She is literally infested with parasites.

Are there visible marks in her body? I didn't have my glasses on and do tend to miss finer details. Abby is better off staying with her family. 

I change my clothes an route is immediately after exiting the plane  often. Even when I'm just going back and forth between Boston and Palm Beach all winter and that's only a threeish hour flight. I reapply my makeup, fix my hair, use an Iris to calm down the puffiness on my eyes, use a hydrating spray, etc. Its not for everyone but I like to feel fresh and put together. Patrick seems to pout a lot of effort and focus into his appearance so I wouldn't be surprised if he does that. I think that is why Paul skeeves me out so much. Its one think if a person tries to travel put of a backpack and has limited options. Not the case with Paul at all. So gross. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Antonio wants Corny gone, but won't tell her as long as he might get laid again.   Corny is too dumb to see it.  

By the look in Antonio's face and by the way he treats her, Corny wasn't all that in bed.  She strikes as subservient dead fish and Antonio has been around the block a lot and wants college stuff.   

By her immaturity about everything, Corny is still in High School when it comes to sex.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Splithair said:

Too bad we can't deport citizens for having a bad attitude - Cousin Larry would be the first one shipped out.  

Right after the Facetime scene, Larry had a talking head in which he was saying things about how rude Cousin had been, and how he (Larry) probably should have stood up for Jenny.  I said to Mr. AZC, "All of the things he is saying to millions of people, he should have been saying to just one person - Jenny."

I think Jenny has been crying so much because she has come to the realization that the only thing worse than the life she is currently living in the Philippines would be life with Larry in the US.  She needs to try to entice another man named "Love" to come to the Philippines to meet her and get her out of there.

ETA:  On every cruise we've ever taken, the majority of the crew members are from the Philippines.  What they do is not glamorous, but it's honest work and they tell me it pays better than staying on land at home.  I'd rather bus dishes on a ship working 6 months at a time than face life with someone like Larry.  Besides, she might meet a nice young man (even another Filipino) on the ship.  At least someone else might take off their hat while cuddling in bed.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 17

Is life so bad for  Karine, Abby and Jenny ? America has poverty too, it certainly isn't all mansions and swimming pools like in the movies.  All three men have little to offer and they'd be stuck in a strange land with no friends or family or even properly knowing the language, dependent on complete losers.  Life would be particularly awful for Karine - who seems like a really decent girl.  Jenny would probably fare the best.

On the other hand, Miriam, Antonio and Darcy's guy (can't remember his name)  have no desire to leave their countries.  They are in it for the money (assuming they're paid) and the limelight. 

And I'm so glad 'smellavision' hasn't been invented every time Paul is onscreen.  Ugh!  I thought he was supposed to be a germaphobe?  You can almost see the bacteria on him.  He looks so dirty.  Run Karine Run!  Your life isn't so bad.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Too bad we can't deport citizens for having a bad attitude - Cousin Larry would be the first one shipped out.  

Right after the Facetime scene, Larry had a talking head in which he was saying things about how rude Cousin had been, and how he (Larry) probably should have stood up for Jenny.  I said to Mr. AZC, "All of the things he is saying to millions of people, he should have been saying to just one person - Jenny."

I think Jenny has been crying so much because she has come to the realization that the only thing worse than the life she is currently living in the Philippines would be life with Larry in the US.  She needs to try to entice another man named "Love" to come to the Philippines to meet her and get her out of there.

Larry watched her get yelled at without defending her. His face said, "Whoo, glad it's you and not me on the hot seat. " Later on the balcony he had the same attitude.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

Why didn't Larry's cousin's wife speak to Jenny during that skype session? Wouldn't that have cleared up anything lost in translation? 

Yeah, I've seen it mentioned several times, but I think it was more someone taking an idea (based on his spitting the meat out) and running with it.  I think he spit the food out because seeing that whole pig nauseated him, not because he's a vegetarian.  I'd be shocked if he were.

RE: the vegetarian thing. There is a lot o f discussion on this in the last 2 show threads and in the Larry/Jenny thread on this. He didn't eat the pig at the time because he SAID I might get diarhea and it looks gros. After he got back to the US and the show aired and he looked like a dufous, he tried to insinuate that "I can't remember the last time I ate meat" on facebook. It was a post show spin to try to fix his repuation. When he was in Philippines at that dinner, he was not a vegetarian and that was not the reason he didn't eat the pork. He was afraid of diarrhea.  Now that he is home, he is "not remembering the last time he ate meat" to try to gain some sympathy. 

2 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, rideashire said:

Sean's place looks like the worst room at that one motel in the bad part of town. You know the one.

He could have cleaned the fuck up before leaving or letting camera's in. I'm just sayin'...

I'd like to see Abbey's face when she walks in there.

Yeah wouldn’t it have been a great time to have it painted while he was out of the country for a few weeks???!  You’d think !

Corney was slurring her words the night he took away her wine which I thought was interesting . Her hair the next day was so greasy it turned a different dark color, girl is getting sloppy and after only one night on the short couch she is such a hot mess. 

Love me some Mother Patrick! 

Pole. He is too much . This is the best worst show on television and I love Sunday nights.  

• Love 12

I think Karine knows she can get another American guy,  but she knows it takes time and she is in a hurry. So she looks to me like she is in a dilemma- go with Pole now and get to the US quicker or wait possibly another 2 years to find a new guy, have him come and visit me and then have that new guy propose. Then she thinks maybe the next guy will also be ugly and could be uglier and could also be a total loser. I also wish she realized that the fact that he has a criminal past means he is unstable and could do something else really scary in the future. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Sean's place looks like the worst room at that one motel in the bad part of town. You know the one.

He could have cleaned the fuck up before leaving or letting camera's in. I'm just sayin'...

I'd like to see Abbey's face when she walks in there.

Hah! I said the same thing!  How long had he been away? I saw a Big Gulp on his night table, what sort of mold could be growing in there! The whole place looks beat up, a fresh coat of paint could work wonders...enter Abby, she will be working off the price of a green card by cleaning and painting that horror of a house.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Hah! I said the same thing!  How long had he been away? I saw a Big Gulp on his night table, what sort of mold could be growing in there! The whole place looks beat up, a fresh coat of paint could work wonders...enter Abby, she will be working off the price of a green card by cleaning and painting that horror of a house.

I thought Sean's apartment looked worse than Abby's house.  

• Love 3

No, Sean's house is fine. I just looked at it again, it is a house under construction. The hallway walls are marked for patching. The other bedroom has construction materials and tools in it. It looks like he is living in a house he is flipping. It's not a flop house.  His bedroom is finished that he is in right now,  except for the door. The rest of the house isn't. He strikes me as all the men we have seen so far as the one most likely to have a good career. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

No, Sean's house is fine. I just looked at it again, it is a house under construction. The hallway walls are marked for patching. The other bedroom has construction materials and tools in it. It looks like he is living in a house he is flipping. It's not a flop house.  His bedroom is finished that he is in right now,  except for the door. The rest of the house isn't. He strikes me as all the men we have seen so far as the one most likely to have a good career. 

That was the impression I had based on his appearance.  But if I were Abby, I'd be taken aback walking into that house without warning.  LOL.

• Love 1

Abbys face said it all when she was hugging Sean at the airport.  She was glancing around probably thinking about going shopping, getting back to Chris or how in a few seconds she would be rid of this liver lip bore.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Pondlass1 said:

Is life so bad for  Karine, Abby and Jenny ? America has poverty too, it certainly isn't all mansions and swimming pools like in the movies.  All three men have little to offer and they'd be stuck in a strange land with no friends or family or even properly knowing the language, dependent on complete losers.  Life would be particularly awful for Karine - who seems like a really decent girl.  Jenny would probably fare the best.

On the other hand, Miriam, Antonio and Darcy's guy (can't remember his name)  have no desire to leave their countries.  They are in it for the money (assuming they're paid) and the limelight. 

And I'm so glad 'smellavision' hasn't been invented every time Paul is onscreen.  Ugh!  I thought he was supposed to be a germaphobe?  You can almost see the bacteria on him.  He looks so dirty.  Run Karine Run!  Your life isn't so bad.

Well put.   Open a big world map and read a bit about those countries to understand it better.

Karine, Abby and Jenny come from impoverished countries where there is little or no chance of social mobility.  That means you are born poor and you die poor, probably in the same neighborhood and very possibly still in the same house you and your entire family was born.  Changes for education are very low and it doesn't automatically translate into better jobs or a job at all.  If your mother cleans homes, then you will clean homes.  If your father was a mechanic, then you will be a mechanic.   I'm not degrading these professions, I'm saying that there is little or NO mobility.  By the way, these are professions in the US because you can have a dependable salary, real benefits and some job stability.   In other countries, these jobs are the bottom of the bottom.

Miriam, Antonio and Darcy's guy are from Europe, a collection of different countries with stable systems.  Places with better economies, better governments and many more options for all.   People in Europe (at least the ones I know) are not in a hurry to come to the US.   Many of them, right out abhor the idea of dropping everything and relocating to the US.

Karine, Abby and Jenny have nothing to drop so for them, moving to the US allows for an immediate escape from the hopelessness that is living in their countries.   It's a simple question of survival and wanting options, even if their option is between being a home attendant or cleaning someone's home or working in retail.  Again, I'm not putting down these options, I'm just highlighting that Karine, Abby and Jenny can easily get a job in any of those fields, make a couple of dollars and help themselves and their families.   Simple as that.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 8

When Larry sat back  while his cousin and wife said derogatory things about Jenny it reminded me of someone I know.  They sit back and act all meek while they let others say awful things under the guise of “protecting” them.  It feeds Larry’s ego because he thinks, “I’m such a great guy that these people want to protect me, but I’m also such a nice guy I won’t say these things myself, even if I’m thinking them.”  The cousin might be spot on with the analysis of Jenny, but Larry is a passive aggressive jerk to allow them to do that to her.  Plus he is spineless because he won’t say those things himself or speak up on Jenny’s behalf.

I hope Jenny either leaves him and finds someone else, or takes him for a ride and finds happiness.  She seems so sad and it makes me think she’s been through some terrible things in her life.

Patrick is a complete ass.  He couldn’t comprehend that any woman might not find him interesting or attractive.  I missed the beginning of the season, so I wonder how he treats the mother of his child.  He loves the chase, but once he catches his prey, he is no longer interested.

Then there’s Paul.  Notice that he asked how long it took a Portuguese speaker to learn ENGLISH!!  Cuz we all know he isn’t learning Portuguese.  I mean, English and America are the BEST!!!  He doesn’t need to learn any other language!!  What an ass.  He scares me and I’m scared for Karine.  I hope she doesn’t come here with him.  I’m seriously worried about her.

• Love 8

I can't understand Pole. The way he says "My criminal past" he says Crimnl so fast and runs all the letters together. He is so hard to understand. The bellboy didn't have a clue to his mumblings. The guy knew English but Pole mumbling "Ahm a gonna pop the question" he had no clue what he was saying so he just kept nodding his head. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Normades said:

When Larry sat back  while his cousin and wife said derogatory things about Jenny it reminded me of someone I know.  They sit back and act all meek while they let others say awful things under the guise of “protecting” them.  It feeds Larry’s ego because he thinks, “I’m such a great guy that these people want to protect me, but I’m also such a nice guy I won’t say these things myself, even if I’m thinking them.”  The cousin might be spot on with the analysis of Jenny, but Larry is a passive aggressive jerk to allow them to do that to her.  Plus he is spineless because he won’t say those things himself or speak up on Jenny’s behalf.

I hope Jenny either leaves him and finds someone else, or takes him for a ride and finds happiness.  She seems so sad and it makes me think she’s been through some terrible things in her life.

Patrick is a complete ass.  He couldn’t comprehend that any woman might not find him interesting or attractive.  I missed the beginning of the season, so I wonder how he treats the mother of his child.  He loves the chase, but once he catches his prey, he is no longer interested.

Then there’s Paul.  Notice that he asked how long it took a Portuguese speaker to learn ENGLISH!!  Cuz we all know he isn’t learning Portuguese.  I mean, English and America are the BEST!!!  He doesn’t need to learn any other language!!  What an ass.  He scares me and I’m scared for Karine.  I hope she doesn’t come here with him.  I’m seriously worried about her.

I have mixed feeling on Larry.  I think the questions that his cousin and wife were asking were legitimate, but he should be asking Jenny those questions himself.  He needed to take a side, one way or the other, in that conversation.

I don't know what to make of Patrick.  He seems like a decent guy, but is stupid to chase after Myriam.  He also needs to get rid of the stupid blond ringlets and all the metal in his face.  I like Mom Patrick.   I loved when she said he needs to find a woman in the US..."And I'll help." :)

I can understand Pole expecting Kreeny to learn English, rather than learning Portuguese himself.  If they marry, she is moving to the USA, he is not moving to Brazil.  But, he definitely could have gone to the trouble of learning how to say, "Will you marry me?" in Portuguese.  Writing the proposal in English was idiotic.  

4 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

I can't understand Pole. The way he says "My criminal past" he says Crimnl so fast and runs all the letters together. He is so hard to understand. The bellboy didn't have a clue to his mumblings. The guy knew English but Pole mumbling "Ahm a gonna pop the question" he had no clue what he was saying so he just kept nodding his head. 

That might be an intentional or subconscious way of Pole admitting his "crnal past" while trying to avoid people actually hearing what he is confessing to.  

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

I ALWAYS have closed captioning on when watching this show.  And I FULLY agree - telling someone for whom English is a second language that you're going to "pop the question" is an indication of just how unaware of the world someone can be.  

• Love 8

There are many things that people living in the US take for granted because like clean water, which you have had for so long and don't imagine that there are places where this isn't the case.   That poop water that Paul almost bathed in, there are people who bathe in that water every day.       There are places that people have steaks and or a roasted pork once a year during a celebration because there's no money for that or the option of clean, edible meat is just NOT there.   We have cable TV with hundreds of channels, I grew up until the age of 14 with only 6 TV channels --  channels from 2 through 13.  TVs had two buttons to change the channels, one was VHF and the other was UHF.   The UHF worked at my friend's house because his father owned a hardware store, but at my house, that button never worked.    Even shitty public schools in the US are better than NO public schools.   I walked into an American public school as an adult and noticed how clean it was and how everyone had brand new books, provided by the school system.  I could not believe my eyes.

Think about all these things and think about being a woman in one of these countries where your choices, few and little to begin with, are now cut in half because of your gender.    This is what Karine, Abby and Jenny have to wake up to on a daily basis.   All of a sudden, Paul, Larry and Sean look a whole lot different.

As a matter of fact, it's not simple at all, it's quite complicated with a lot of nuances and factors.

abd241588e0741b0d21e1605465fa7c2--knobs-come-in[1].jpg

• Love 18
50 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

I think Karine knows she can get another American guy,  but she knows it takes time and she is in a hurry. So she looks to me like she is in a dilemma- go with Pole now and get to the US quicker or wait possibly another 2 years to find a new guy, have him come and visit me and then have that new guy propose. Then she thinks maybe the next guy will also be ugly and could be uglier and could also be a total loser. I also wish she realized that the fact that he has a criminal past means he is unstable and could do something else really scary in the future. 

Karine should really take some English classes.  It would open up more and better marriage opportunities, help her to better get to know an American suitor and make her much less isolated if she eventually comes to America.  

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I can understand Pole expecting Kreeny to learn English, rather than learning Portuguese himself.  If they marry, she is moving to the USA, he is not moving to Brazil.  But, he definitely could have gone to the trouble of learning how to say, "Will you marry me?" in Portuguese.  Writing the proposal in English was idiotic.  

I understand that English is important since they will live in the US, if they marry, but out of respect he should learn some Portuguese.  I certainly would do that if I were in the same situation.  Plus, if they have children (my god, Paul procreating is a disturbing thought!) they should teach them both languages.  It's a respect thing, but I believe Paul sees Karine as a possession and won't do anything to show her respect or try to make her comfortable.  If he had written the proposal in her language it would have been kind and thoughtful, but of course that didn't happen.

I'm American and I see the attitude of disrespect of other languages besides English quite often.  Many Americans don't even feel the need to speak a second language.  I personally don't care for that attitude.

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

That might be an intentional or subconscious way of Pole admitting his "crnal past". . l

LOL I see what you did there, but when I first read it I read "carnal past," which I am certain Pole does not have.  

Edited by Sprockets
typo
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Normades said:

I understand that English is important since they will live in the US, if they marry, but out of respect he should learn some Portuguese.  I certainly would do that if I were in the same situation.  Plus, if they have children (my god, Paul procreating is a disturbing thought!) they should teach them both languages.  It's a respect thing, but I believe Paul sees Karine as a possession and won't do anything to show her respect or try to make her comfortable.  If he had written the proposal in her language it would have been kind and thoughtful, but of course that didn't happen.

I'm American and I see the attitude of disrespect of other languages besides English quite often.  Many Americans don't even feel the need to speak a second language.  I personally don't care for that attitude.

I just think it is logical that the person who is moving to another country should learn the native language.  If Pole was moving to Brazil, he should absolutely learn Portuguese.  It would be nice for him to learn some Portuguese anyway, and he might eventually if Kreeny is desperate enough to marry him.  But, I don't find it offensive that he expects her to learn English.  I'd be more worried if he didn't want her to learn English, because I would take that to mean he wanted to keep her isolated and under control in the US.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Karine should really take some English classes.  It would open up more and better marriage opportunities, help her to better get to know an American suitor and make her much less isolated if she eventually comes to America.  

It's not easy for Karine to get another American guy because she does not speak English.  Only a delusional dotard like Paul would chase a woman in the Amazon and speak through an app.  Look at Jenny and the other Filipinas in the other 90-day series.  To them it's less than a problem because they speak the language.   Paul's pyromania may be connected to a bit of  his schizophrenia where he creates a separate reality for himself where he thinks what he is doing is right.

Karine can use this exposure to catch another guy in Rio or another large city of her country.   That has more of a chance and would get her out of that rural area where she lives.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I just think it is logical that the person who is moving to another country should learn the native language.  If Pole was moving to Brazil, he should absolutely learn Portuguese.  It would be nice for him to learn some Portuguese anyway, and he might eventually if Kreeny is desperate enough to marry him.  But, I don't find it offensive that he expects her to learn English.  I'd be more worried if he didn't want her to learn English, because I would take that to mean he wanted to keep her isolated and under control in the US.  

Paul has no intention of moving to Brasil.   Karine has all the intentions of moving to the US.   They should both learn each other's language but Karine is in more of a need because she is the one who will be moving to a country where a different language is spoken.

Paul can make some money burning buildings for the insurance money.   I read in a book that there were guys in The Bronx who did that on behalf of building owners.  They were called Torch.  So Paul will be known as "Paul The Torch".    

All these guys are soon going to snap out of their fantasies and walk away from these girls.   A long distance relationship requires two strong people and a very strong relationship based on real things, trust, communication, things in common, similar values.   I don't see this with ANY of the couples on this show.   Just a bunch of horny people confusing love with lust.

Edited by AmyBre
  • Love 4

I'm sorry, but if you marry someone who speaks a different language, you need to make some effort to learn it. It's a matter of respect for their culture and the "ingredients" that went in to making the person you supposedly LOVE SO MUCH. My husband and I never planned to live in Germany, but I made a point to improve my German so I could , ya know, talk to my inlaws and his friends and extended family.  I couldn't expect a bunch of 70 year olds to learn English for me. And don't you want to get to know your spouse'sfamily on a deeper level? Don't you want to raise your kids to be bilingual and be able to understand what one parent is saying to them? Don't you want to show your kids that the language of their other parent is valuable and worth learning? Maybe not if you view your spouse as a possession or an accessory whose job it is to make you look better and feel more complete.

And if you are not into being all bilingual and multicultural, fine, by why the fueckety fuck are you importing foreigner to marry in the first place?  The US is not some mining town in the rural west in the 1820s. There are plenty of women around to court and marry. Oh, but that requires effort and reasonable expectations. Well, nothing is perfect.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

That's a great deal. 50 hats for $70.  I give Larry credit. He changes his clothes and tries to coordinate his outfits, unlike Pole who can't even be bothered to shower and change clothes before making the most awkward marriage proposal I have ever seen.  

Pole has to stink to high heaven from wearing his nasty clothing and tactical mosquito netting all day in the Brazilian heat and humidity.  How Kreeny gets past the stench to do the grown up with him is beyond me.  

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, tincansailor981 said:

Pole has to stink to high heaven from wearing his nasty clothing and tactical mosquito netting all day in the Brazilian heat and humidity.  How Kreeny gets past the stench to do the grown up with him is beyond me.  

Yeah, she probably wishes she had failed the STD tests.  Poor thing. She's gone from happy to meet her American lover to what the @$#! have I gotten myself right before our eyes. She seems like a sweet girl and deserves so much better than Pole. I hope she comes to America and hooks up with her ESL teacher.

• Love 6