Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Why was Paul schlepping all those foot lockers to Manaus? I thought he brought lockers full of food and stuffed animals and cereal boxes for Karine and her family in the village. Are all those lockers full of just his personal stuff like mosquito nets and snakebite kits and tropical hazmat suits?

Larry is an idiot for booking a 36-40 hour routing to the Philippines through Shanghai. He probably could have shaved 12-15 hours off the trip by paying an extra $200 and taking a more direct route where his luggage would have been less likely to get lost.  He also should have packed a few days of clothes in his carry on.  You have to assume your bags will be lost when your dirt cheap itinerary has three stopovers on different cut rate foreign airlines.

"He's not like the other American men" is a great line by Jenny. Not suspicious at all.  I think she recognizes that Larry is someone she can walk all over on her way to getting a green card and she's happy about that.  

Was Myriam looking for some action on the side? Is that why she let Patrick come to see her and then told him she wanted him to stay?

Cortney's move in not booking a hotel and then showing up at a guy's apartment essentially uninvited and then expecting him to sleep on the couch is unreasonable.  If she didn't want to sleep with him she should have gotten a hotel room or offered to sleep on the couch herself.

• Love 20

Antonio obviously has a very full and active life and tons of women. He's not looking to add anything to his life other than a notch on his bedpost. 

ETA:  very funny how they suddenly made Antonio put on black underwear before he "undressed" for bed.  I know what I saw last week!! He was going commando and we would've seen the black underwear through his khakis.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 3

Paul needs to take a page from Alan and learn Portuguese. I suppose he thinks that karine will learn English and he doesn't have to bother learning Portuguese. 10 years Paul? Methinks 34 years is more accurate . 

Wait until Antonio figures out how thick Cortney is? I see lots of dinners with her just staring with that stupid look on her face. 

• Love 17
18 minutes ago, gavinmac said:

Why was Paul schlepping all those foot lockers to Manaus? I thought he brought lockers full of food and stuffed animals and cereal boxes for Karine and her family in the village. Are all those lockers full of just his personal stuff like mosquito nets and snakebite kits and tropical hazmat suits?

Larry is an idiot for booking a 36-40 hour routing to the Philippines through Shanghai. He probably could have shaved 12-15 hours off the trip by paying an extra $200 and taking a more direct route where his luggage would have been less likely to get lost.  He also should have packed a few days of clothes in his carry on.  You have to assume your bags will be lost when your dirt cheap itinerary has three stopovers on different cut rate foreign airlines.

Maybe Larry's first time out of his country (or hometown).

Darcey with high heels on a plane, Paul with trunks (I thought  he was going on a humanitarian mission ), Patrick with that ridiculous open shirt and almost no luggage, Corny with multiple bags instead of a suitcase, Larry no comment...

Obviously they don't travel a lot.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, locomoco said:

Oh, she won't forget... she won't enjoy it, but she won't forget.

She won't forget it because she didn't demand that Paul take his own STD screening. Gawd only knows what kind of cooties live on his tiny wee wee.

• Love 5

I was rooting for Miriam last week but now I'm just sitting here in shock that she'd let this guy buy a plane ticket and fly there to see her and NOT tell him she had a boyfriend first. He dodged a bullet because a person like that is no prize.

Poor Larry, I felt so bad for him. He's so nervous and out of place, he was almost worse than Paul in the awkward department.

14 minutes ago, PityFree said:

She won't forget it because she didn't demand that Paul take his own STD screening. Gawd only knows what kind of cooties live on his tiny wee wee.

Isn't this the guy that doesn't wash his fingernails? I can only imagine what's growing on his dick, she needs to run fast.

Edited by rideashire
  • Love 9

I'm going to be a little bit mean here. Cortney's pics don't represent her very well. She looks just like her dad, is a 'little bit big', had a wonky eye, and a gummy smile. 

I saw an episode of Seinfield where Elaine had stinky hair from Jerry's car after the valet with BO parked it. Soon after Elaine had a date that didn't go well. The next day, she asked Jerry about what it means when a guy cuts the night short because he 'has to get up early for work'...Jerry explains that a guy will forgo any sleep if it means getting lucky. So he deduced that her date wasn't into her. Because of the stinky BO smell that permeated her hair of course. I'm thinking this is basically a stinky hair situation. Antonio is not showing any signs that he is into her. Not even willing to give up a single day of work. Would he turn down free sex with her? Nah. But I think he is underwhelmed by her and isn't going to go out of his way. 

• Love 17

I have a feeling Patrick didn't ask Miriam if he could visit. He told her he was coming & bam I'm here! I also think she didn't take him very seriously to begin with. I would have told him I had a boyfriend though but meh whatever he's an ass.

• Love 9

I've met some people I've chatted online with. I didn't make a special trip - I was kinda 'in the area'. Things didn't work out and our online connection fizzled a short time after. We would become 'busy'.

I've also met others online on say, Twitter - they seem okay for a bit of fun or a short-term thing, but that is all.  I enjoy tweeting with them. I've been very clear that I don't have much to offer them if they want something longterm - without even meeting me! I may be interesting to talk to and I sometimes enjoy flirting. They may get a 'moment' but that is all. I am upfront that there is someone in my life, even though we are currently apart.  And if they want something, *they* make an effort to come my direction or pay for a plane ticket for me and put me up in a hotel.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

We'll, it's been a decade for Paul, but Karine sure knows what she's doing.  What does she see in him and why is she so anxious to be intimate?  Yuck!!!

Maybe she wants an 'anchor' baby? 18 years of support and maybe a new life in America? And then bring her family there?

• Love 12
Just now, Frozendiva said:

Maybe she wants an 'anchor' baby? 18 years of support and maybe a new life in America? And then bring her family there?

I agree and much as I think Paul is an awkward weirdo, she could do way worse too. He doesn't seem like the type to treat her poorly (aside from his trust issues) and while he may not be rich he can probably pay his bills and she's going to live more comfortably with him while waiting on that green card. Can't say I blame her, I may tell her to run in my other post but if she doesn't have other options it actually makes a sad sort of sense that she'd stay with him. :/

I am surprised though that she doesn't have other guys knocking down her door. She's cute and seems nice enough, if she can deal with Paul she'd probably be a dream girlfriend for some normal guy.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, SoshulMeedya said:

If TLC cameras weren't there, he probably wouldn't have gone looking for her when she left the pageant. He seems to be performing for the cameras more than being into Corny.

It would be bad form for him just to dump her at that pageant. He may not be hired next year!

I think that any decent dude would expect that the girl who has flown thousands of miles to see him would be respectful enough to insist that she stay at a hotel for a few nights. Even chip in some cash for her doing so. And then decide after spending time together in their own space if they wish to continue any relationship and start to share space.

• Love 7

What Myriam did to Patrick was the worst case of friend zoning I've ever seen.  That's indefensible.  She had no business letting him come all the way out there under false pretenses.  I hope he keeps his dignity and doesn't let her be his "tour guide" in Paris, that's demeaning.  He should go see some sights on his own so the trip isn't a complete waste and then fly home.  But I'm sure TLC manipulated it to where he'll hang out with her so they can get their show material.

I think the TLC producers got Jenny to show up at the airport, she doesn't look like she's into Larry at all.

So Paul, when are you going to get your STD test so Karine can feel safe?  It works both ways, right?  What a little creep this guy is, if she wants an American man, at least find one who is actually a man.

Antonio should stick with European women, this match with Cortney just isn't working.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, rideashire said:

I agree and much as I think Paul is an awkward weirdo, she could do way worse too. He doesn't seem like the type to treat her poorly (aside from his trust issues) and while he may not be rich he can probably pay his bills and she's going to live more comfortably with him while waiting on that green card. Can't say I blame her, I may tell her to run in my other post but if she doesn't have other options it actually makes a sad sort of sense that she'd stay with him. :/

I am surprised though that she doesn't have other guys knocking down her door. She's cute and seems nice enough, if she can deal with Paul she'd probably be a dream girlfriend for some normal guy.

Once she gets the Green Card, she may simply 'disappear'.  Except for him being 'weird' and a tad 'creepy'  he doesn't seem abusive and is unlikely to beat her or anything. Paul is very damaged and needs to spend time working on himself and what he can offer in any sort of relationship. This smacks of codependency and Karine just looking for a way out of the shack.

Maybe normal guys wouldn't be going to where she lives, unless they met her on some messageboard or other chat site. Not like Paul is a good catch for the average American woman. Until he deals with his demons and other crap.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, rideashire said:

Based on my knowledge of online dating communities featuring impoverished women from developing countries, she probably does have other American guys knocking down her door, but most of them would be 50-65 years old, have kids from a prior marriage, etc.  

A 35 year old OK looking non-obese American guy with no kids would be a "catch" for a 21 year old Brazilian girl living in a hut who is looking for love online.

• Love 24
Just now, Dobian said:

I've seen guys like Paul before and I've watched his behavior on this show.  This guy is far from harmless.  I wouldn't let my daughter anywhere near him.  At the very least he's controlling and emotionally abusive.

And he talks about trust, but hasn't revealed his criminal past to her.  She needs to R-U-N.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Dobian said:

What Myriam did to Patrick was the worst case of friend zoning I've ever seen.  That's indefensible.  She had no business letting him come all the way out there under false pretenses.  I hope he keeps his dignity and doesn't let her be his "tour guide" in Paris, that's demeaning.  He should go see some sights on his own so the trip isn't a complete waste and then fly home.  But I'm sure TLC manipulated it to where he'll hang out with her so they can get their show material.

I think the TLC producers got Darcy to show up at the airport, she doesn't look like she's into Larry at all.

So Paul, when are you going to get your STD test so Karine can feel safe?  It works both ways, right?  What a little creep this guy is, if she wants an American man, at least find one who is actually a man.

Antonio should stick with European women, this match with Cortney just isn't working.

Why would Myriam spend hours online with Patrick? Wouldn't her boyfriend have any interest in her 'friend'? Paris is a lovely city and Patrick will have lots of fun exploring it and meeting new, interesting people. Myriam should have told him that all she can offer him is friendship. He spent a lot of time, money, and energy on this. He will pick himself up and dust himself off and perhaps not be a trusting with folks he meets online. I wouldn't hang out with her except for maybe lunch. Just say, nice to meet you and then move on.

Cortney is not yet a woman of the world. Still has a lot of growing up to do.

2 minutes ago, Dobian said:

I've seen guys like Paul before and I've watched his behavior on this show.  This guy is far from harmless.  I wouldn't let my daughter anywhere near him.  At the very least he's controlling and emotionally abusive.

People let themselves be controlled.

I would run from him. He is showing himself as who he really is and Karine and her family should take note. Karine is really desperate to get out of the shack. There are, however, many better options than creepy Paul.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Dobian said:

What Myriam did to Patrick was the worst case of friend zoning I've ever seen.  That's indefensible.  She had no business letting him come all the way out there under false pretenses.  I hope he keeps his dignity and doesn't let her be his "tour guide" in Paris, that's demeaning.  He should go see some sights on his own so the trip isn't a complete waste and then fly home. 

Didn't Patrick say he had never been out of the country before? He's not going to tour Paris alone. No way.  He's a mama's boy, he doesn't speak French, he'd be too intimidated to go anywhere in Paris alone. 

Myriam looks like a villain here, and she probably is, but we don't know if they were just flirting online and he suddenly told her "I've bought a ticket to Paris."  If that's how it went down, she's not as blameworthy. She still should have told him and given him a chance to cancel his ticket. Maybe the producers told her not to.

• Love 3
Just now, AZChristian said:

I think Jenny calls Larry "Love" because that's what she calls all her "friends" from the Filipino match site.  Then she won't have to worry about confusing their names.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He mentioned she asked if she could call him 'love' very early on and that's all she calls him now. I once dated a guy that referred to me as 'babe' right after we started going out. I found out later he was talking to/seeing at least a few other ladies at the same time...and he called everyone babe. I'm sure it kept things easier that way ?

• Love 14

I'm still shocked Antonio is real!  Then, once you spend time getting to know him, I think it would have been best if he stood her up.  He isn't into her, but wasn't gonna turn down some booty.  Some nice instant karma of him now having this chick stay at his teeny tiny place and have to sleep on his wee couch.  Hilarious.  This is gonna crash and burn quick.

Speaking of crash and burn that quickly was the end for Patrick (and his dumbass open shirt) and Myriam, who I was totally on board with last week.  Patrick may indeed be an ass, but that is some cold shit to have him travel to France to be friendzoned.

So, Karine took the blood tests, but Paul didn't?!  You know what...fuck that guy.  That's gross behavior.  Also, Karine, girlfriend, no green card is remotely worth sexing Paul.  I. Can't. Even.  He's just so incredibly offputting and creepy to me.  

Contrast that with Larry...he's awkward, but I don't think he's creepy.  Jenny seems really shady, and Larry seems like a real mark.  I'm cringing for what tatters she is going to leave him in.

• Love 17

I've visited Paris a couple of times alone. I also do speak French so I don't have the language barrier. Met lots of Americans there too (I'm Canadian). Walked around late night by myself.  Caught the subway late evenings too. Felt perfectly safe. Most of the tourist stuff is easily reachable by subway. Patrick can do it!

2 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

I'm still shocked Antonio is real!  Then, once you spend time getting to know him, I think it would have been best if he stood her up.  He isn't into her, but wasn't gonna turn down some booty.  Some nice instant karma of him now having this chick stay at his teeny tiny place and have to sleep on his wee couch.  Hilarious.  This is gonna crash and burn quick.

Speaking of crash and burn that quickly was the end for Patrick (and his dumbass open shirt) and Myriam, who I was totally on board with last week.  Patrick may indeed be an ass, but that is some cold shit to have him travel to France to be friendzoned.

So, Karine took the blood tests, but Paul didn't?!  You know what...fuck that guy.  That's gross behavior.  Also, Karine, girlfriend, no green card is remotely worth sexing Paul.  I. Can't. Even.  He's just so incredibly offputting and creepy to me.  

Contrast that with Larry...he's awkward, but I don't think he's creepy.  Jenny seems really shady, and Larry seems like a real mark.  I'm cringing for what tatters she is going to leave him in.

Larry is ripe for the plucking. Better to be single than wish you were. Jenny may not be the girl that he thinks she is. Maybe he will clue in and leave.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

I've visited Paris a couple of times alone. I also do speak French so I don't have the language barrier. Met lots of Americans there too (I'm Canadian). Walked around late night by myself.  Caught the subway late evenings too. Felt perfectly safe. Most of the tourist stuff is easily reachable by subway. Patrick can do it!

Of course he can do it. It's easy. He doesn't know that though. 

All of these Americans should have an ironclad backup plan for what they will do if their online paramour doesn't show up at the airport to meet them or if things go pear shaped shortly after arrival.  I don't think any of them do though. 

• Love 7

Patrick would have no problem in Paris, Europe is easy.  Over half the people speak English and even when they don't, 90% of what you need to communicate is a no-brainer.  You say the thing you want on the menu.  You put your items on the counter at the store and swipe your credit card.  You buy a Metro ticket from a machine for the stop you want.  It's really not hard.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, gavinmac said:

Of course he can do it. It's easy. He doesn't know that though. 

All of these Americans should have an ironclad backup plan for what they will do if their online paramour doesn't show up at the airport to meet them or if things go pear shaped shortly after arrival.  I don't think any of them do though. 

With most people having smartphones, you can easily have a Plan B and C.  You always let someone know where you are (family or friend),  you stay in a hotel or hostel until you know that Prince(cess) Charming is not a toad, you use Twitter or other social media to stay in touch, you always have a working email addy. And you have your country's Embassy or Consulate information handy or otherwise accessible.

1 minute ago, Dobian said:

Patrick would have no problem in Paris, Europe is easy.  Over half the people speak English and even when they don't, 90% of of what you need to communicate is a no-brainer.  You say the thing you want on the menu.  You put your items on the counter at the store and swipe your credit card.  You buy a Metro ticket from a machine for the stop you want.  It's really not hard.

Most folks in tourist areas speak English. Tourism is big bucks in Europe, especially from spring til late fall.

If some tourists are smart, they can buy a multi-day Metro card for cheap! And so easy to do the research online to find what you want.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, gavinmac said:

Agreed.  But they brought the stuffed animals to the resort.  They showed them behind Karine in one of the bed shots.  Perfect, unblinking, witnesses for the new intimacies.  

And I'm now more sold on Cortney having traveled before.  Two backpacks are easier to move around with than a suitcase and she's wearing sensible shoes.  Antonio is an idiot.  Yes, making a tired, stinky, woman wait around while I look at chicks in bathing suits and constantly say to her face that she's cold, is totally the way into her pants.  

If Myriam had any sort of warning at all before Patrick came (and she did), she needed to tell him.  Not all of us can afford to swan over to Paris just for the heck of it.  Too bad, I had liked her.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

When you are desperate and life holds nothing for you where you are, moving to a new subdivision of Hell may be a better option. 

Yeah, but there are over 150 million American men, and she is settling for Paul, who is somewhere in the bottom 20%, just above crack heads, prison inmates, and child molesters.  

3 hours ago, PityFree said:

Agreed. Because from the little we can see of that baby, the baby is not Josh's. 

No it's not his baby.  And it's so sad.  Josh seems like such a kind, gentle man. He deserves better. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, gavinmac said:

Why was Paul schlepping all those foot 

You have grossly over estimated the size of his 401k.  

• Love 7

I have very little sympathy for any of these people ( which is of course why we all watch). I can't believe that a beautiful girl like Karine would put up with Paul & all his bullshit ( she even described him as neurotic!) He must totally stink by now ,so being with him at all would be hard but the fact that he's talking about trust when he is a convicted felon is the height of irony.  Patrick is a player who got played "ala francais" and I loved it!  I'm sure there are a cadre of women (including Baby Mama) who are enjoying the hell out of this.  Courtney, you are making me feel uncomfortable with your stupidity and inability to read a room. Antonio isn't as much of a prize as he thinks he is but at least he's playing a part for TLC.  Oh, Larry, poor Larry. He seems like such a nervous doofus. Actually, I think Jenny was pretty kind to him but maybe he's the closest to a Green Card she's gotten on Phillipino Cupid.

• Love 9

For me, this episode shored up @Toaster Strudel's theory about Antonio deciding to play the part after TLC contacted him and it started as a true catfish situation (I quoted it in the Courtney/Antonio thread but it is full of spoilers for those of you who want to avoid them), and my theory that Patrick was looking for more television time and it wasn't a real relationship. 

Paul's dry spell is because of his history with women, which is also detailed in his thread, but doesn't sound like it will be much of a surprise to many of you.

There is a thread for the show that was in the second hour. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

We need a thread for the  the 90 Day what now show so I can wtf over Josh and Alexandra's baby.

Um, yes.  Because that baby's skin is a different color than theirs.  So okay, I thought, how wonderful that they adopted.  But then she went on about hormonal changes after the baby was born. . . very odd. . .

9 hours ago, Godfrey said:

And Cortney should have gotten a hotel. She's pretty presumptuous.

She was utterly exhausted.  I know what that trip can do to a person, and then all the stress of being in a new place, meeting a new person.  It sounded like they had agreed she would stay there.  For all we know, he told her he had a spare bedroom.  She travelled so far to meet him.  The least he could do was give her a place to crash.  

Edited by Sprockets
typo