Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Amusing Aliens

16 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Wow, isn't this the first appearance of Rick Baker on this show?  Can't wait.

He showed up before on another alien challenge, because I remember he was out with Mackenzie and all the facetestants at the Star Trek Rocks (Vasquez park)

• Love 2

Ohhhh, NO.  NO NO NO.  Sorry, but I TOTALLY disagree with the judging here.  Praise everyone, and eliminate two, ok, but Faina out in favor of Kiersten?  Really?  Yeah, great paint job and that would have won a challenge, but how overall does she go to the finals?  I was sure KC was a goner, too, but it turned out to be Faina and Nelson.  Andrew's was awful.  Just awful.  You could clearly see the seam b/w the cowl and the face, even the Gherkin saw it.  KC for the win, since I think the rest of this was BS, just to truncate my comment.

• Love 13

Kiersten, really?  the twit should have been eliminated with that awful radio ghost she failed with.  Last weeks was nothing to stand out in my mind either.

One thing with this season I have noticed (besides the awful teams thing) was that there really weren't any dynamic personalities.  Andrew and Nelson have done some great stuff but both of them talk in such a monotone.  Andrew just a tad more animated then Nelson.  And it really says some thing about the season that its taken until this episode for me to remember all of the names beside Faina.  

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:22 PM, Lugal said:

He showed up before on another alien challenge, because I remember he was out with Mackenzie and all the facetestants at the Star Trek Rocks (Vasquez park)

I'm almost positive it was Darla's season (8?) the very first episode they were split into teams and had to go sit in the desert or some such.  But his lovely ponytailed self was there.  I'm sure it's wrong to have a crush on him, but..............

2 minutes ago, Linderhill said:

And it really says some thing about the season that its taken until this episode for me to remember all of the names beside Faina.  

Feel ya.  For some reason, I just COULDN'T with this season. I think they went awry with the teams.  Though I'm going to root for KC now since she's proven to be human, very nice, and immune to all our shit on here.  That alone makes her my role model LOL.  I can't wait for Game Face and I really, really hope the next gimmick they come up for next season of FO is less awful.  I mean, not to tempt fate, but what else have we missed...................

• Love 4

Kiersten made it? Really? With a body of mediocre stuff and one decent makeup? Would have replaced her with Faina. I did like the green alien - he was kinda cute.

Seems to be a short season. Summer filler?

No one stands out this season. No investment in any winner. No 'wow, this person will go far' factor. Just meh.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Frozendiva said:

I did like the green alien - he was kinda cute.

Yes, he reminded me a bit of the one bounty hunter in the first (but really fourth) Star Wars, where Han and Chewie are in the bar.  Anyway, he was adorable.

Did you have fun at your concert? 

• Love 1
Just now, sourpickles said:

Yes, he reminded me a bit of the one bounty hunter in the first (but really fourth) Star Wars, where Han and Chewie are in the bar.  Anyway, he was adorable.

Did you have fun at your concert? 

The festival was an adventure. Decent weather except for the downpour before one of the headliners. Feet were killing me due to standing for hours on concrete. Maybe the show can do a makeup for blistered feet.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Maybe the show can do a makeup for blistered feet.

You might be on to something there, since I don't think that's been up yet!  Like I said, I'm DREADING what's going to be up next season.......although I could just hype myself up and it could be good...at any rate, let's do this season first.  KC for the win. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

You might be on to something there, since I don't think that's been up yet!  Like I said, I'm DREADING what's going to be up next season.......although I could just hype myself up and it could be good...at any rate, let's do this season first.  KC for the win. 

Music festival apocalypse survivors. 

Perhaps next season will have more standout talent! Going for KC too.

Have to agree, I was totally surprised that Kiersten moved on and Faina didn't.  The judging seems inconsistent - if the results were based solely on this challenge, then I think Faina and Andrew should have gone.  But if prior work was included, then it should have been Kiersten and Nelson.  I guess what I'm trying to say, is I could see Kiersten/Nelson or Faina/Andrew being eliminated, but not Faina/Nelson.

KC for the win - and not just cause she's visited us here.  She's talented and seems pretty down to earth.  I wonder how creative she is, though.  Her alien tonight wasn't bad, it just didn't have any humor or anything that made it stand out. 

• Love 3

I could not stand Faina's alien.  I can't believe no one noticed it was lopsided.  And those colors, oy.  Though most of the color palettes were, too me, very garish.  The ideas overall were good, but the execution, not so much.  I can't remember who was on what team/shop, but I have to wonder what the ratio is and if it played into all this.  Call me cynical.

13 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Music festival apocalypse survivors. 

Heh. It'd be a new idea, right, and if they took suggestions from fans........I got a few myself ;).

Editors came up with a prime misdirection showing Faina's cowl from tonight in the credits from the beginning of the season.  I really expected that to have been a flower in whatever challenge (4 seasons) that Andrew won with the rose (which wasn't in the opening credits ever.)

Faina might have done herself a disservice by being a painter and a colorist.  Her cowls and faces seemed really good, but the colors were her major wow factor.

I wish Nelson hadn't worn the hat all the time.  To me, it made him look old and dour and not any fun to work with.  His entry from tonight didn't seem at all fresh.  I just didn't appreciate it.

I liked all the stuff that KD did, but her color pallet wasn't realistic - garish is a starter word. 

Andrew- I just finished watching the thing (fast forwarding) and I don't remember what he did.  So, I didn't hate it.  Ok..  think dreadlocks.  Think homage to Galaxy Quest and Alan Rickman.  And when I first saw how he sculpted the face, I thought he was going to excessive botox look. 

Which leave Kiersten, whose cowl and face I really liked.  And who proved again, do the face well so it can stand up in close ups, because pecs don't get closeups unless written by GRRM.  And she does get major points for just smiling when Neville praised her and asked where she'd been in the rest of the competition.  It would have been so easy AND so immature to disparage her assigned team mates.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Faina's cowl from tonight in the credits from the beginning of the season.

Don't hate me, but do you mean the opening credits?  If you do, that's all features from previous seasons, many of them high placers, and I've been saying for a while they should take that out.  It doesn't set a good example.  Like, I see Laura's or Logan's makeup and go yeah, that's what I'd like to see and then we.......don't. 

Kiesten, I just now realized her form looked like a colorful version of the alien in Independence Day.  And, I think that's been done before too (Emily, in her appearance?).

I clearly have no eye for alien makeup because the two I liked best were the ones eliminated.  I loved the green fishy one with the big eyes.  I thought it was the only one that looked at all amusing.  I still want Andrew to win based upon the season in general but I didn't like his alien and I loathed the blue one with the big neck.  That triangular-headed thing with no face had a nice paint job but there wasn't anything remotely humorous about it.  It didn't even look like a living creature.

I'm always confused when the judges seem to say one thing during the closeups and another when they talk to the contestants.  That has happened so often this season that I tend to feel like they're manipulating the outcomes.  I never thought that before.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, sourpickles said:
8 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Faina's cowl from tonight in the credits from the beginning of the season.

Don't hate me, but do you mean the opening credits? 

Yep, I meant opening credits from the beginning of this season.  It registered with me because one of my favorite cartoons of all time was THE Alice in Wonderland scene with Alice looking up at the flowers.  When I saw Faina's cowl, with the blue green edges, I assumed it was a rose.  That pictoee edge is a flower thing.   Looking for that and hoping for the first four or five weeks that it would happen that week.....kept my interest up.  

If I were queen of the world, this would have been a single elimination but the following would have happened. 

And Glen would have said,  OK,  you all weren't on point tonight.  Go home, get a good nights sleep, and you have two days, with the criticisms we've given you, to alter your work and make it better.  And then it will be a double elimination. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

THE Alice in Wonderland scene with Alice looking up at

You are officially now one of my favorite people!  I am an Alice freak.  She might not be a princess, but she sure does inspire some dreams!  Hey, we could make a whole season out of wonderland......that's it!  Face Off, season whatever............Wonderland (credits to @enoughcats and @sourpickles) ;).

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, mlp said:

I clearly have no eye for alien makeup because the two I liked best were the ones eliminated.  I loved the green fishy one with the big eyes.  I thought it was the only one that looked at all amusing.  I still want Andrew to win based upon the season in general but I didn't like his alien and I loathed the blue one with the big neck.  That triangular-headed thing with no face had a nice paint job but there wasn't anything remotely humorous about it. 

That's exactly what I said when watching this show! The two I liked that met the challenge were booted off and the ones I did not like and did not meet the challenge were kept. The makeup that won looked like a mushroom, a very unfunny mushroom.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, enoughcats said:

I really expected that to have been a flower in whatever challenge (4 seasons) that Andrew won with the rose

I haven't been watching this season very closely, but I'm pretty sure that the rose did not win that challenge, although I agree with you that it should have.  It's the only sculpt I remember from the whole season.

• Love 1

Hi Guys.

So this one didnt go so well for me...

I really did love the sculpt and I had so much fun working on it.

Some BTS stories:

There where some hands that I sculpted that I loved they came out great but I had to sacrafice them to mold the enormous cowl. It weighed a ton.

I wanted to do a very thorough cleanup of the mold at the end of the day and it came out perfect (the cracking scene wasnt as dramatic as it looked on t.v lol)

I had as very specific paint job in mind but when I got the foam it was a really bad run. I spent 3 hours out of 4 trying to salvage the piece... So I ended up trying my best to damage control.

I was positive I was a goner.  But I didnt give up and had to try and push. 

Im proud of myself for doing my best with what I had and wish I could have a redo on this challenge.

Im humbled that the judges chose me.

It was a hard season and Im proud to go into the finale with 2 wins, 4 top looks and no bottom looks. (although for me this was a bottom look.)

I loved Nelsons Makeup. It was the best.

And Faina is my girl!!

I hope you enjoy the finale!!

• Love 23

Congrats to Kierstin - there's something to be said for peaking at the end.  FWIW, I thought her alien was "friendly" enough - I personally found the baked in smiles on some of the other designs (particularly Nelson's) to be more off-putting than friendly (it's the same reason I don't like clowns).  With hers, I just saw a nice alien that wanted to give us flowers.  Maybe it could've had a little more mouth movement, but otherwise it was one of the most gorgeous designs of the season - can't send her home on that.

Sorry to see Faina leave - however her alien didn't read well at a distance (for a hot second I thought he was Godzilla's robot pal Jet Jaguar), and there were some design issues as well.  Every year though, it seems like there's one super talented young artist who winds up getting cut right at the end, and this time it was her.  Hope she gets another shot the next time they do all-stars (or on Game Face - we'll have to see how that goes first).

Overall, this was my favorite episode of the season - a fun concept that led to lots of cool, interesting designs.

Edited by Chyromaniac
I don't like "off-putting" - but I like the original words I used less
  • Love 5

Neville said to Kiersten, "Where in the hell have you been?"  Not winning, that's where.  And it is for this reason she doesn't belong in the final three.  If you're going to pick a finalist based upon their "growth" instead of the talent they presented all season, then say that!  If you're picking finalists based upon who did the best work all season and might have an off day in the pre-final, then pick that person.

For the first time since watching this show, I'm not excited about anybody and don't give a rat's behind who wins.  The whole team-thing was jacked up from the beginning.  I didn't like much of anything about the entire season.

Hopefully the producers learned something and will stick with individual challenges from here on out.

• Love 5

Congratulations KC on making it into the finale.  I thought the makeup was pretty cool and liked the paintjob, but I know what it's like when something doesn't come out like you envision it.

It did seem off because Kiersten has been inconsistent all season, but this last look was good, although Rick Baker did point out that it did not seem to fit the challenge.  Faina has been pretty strong, so it seems odd she was passed over due to a weak makeup now.

Andrew's was a little weak this time too, but he has been consistently strong all season (and Nayeli really sold it)

Nelson's was fun, but not quite creative enough to make it through.

I really think the teams concept hobbled the season and it feels like we didn't get to see what everyone really had to offer.

• Love 4

I really loved Nelson's green tourist alien.  Enjoyed the backstory as well "he doesn't fit in as much as he thinks he does..."  I thought it captured the fund and friendly that were emphasized in the directions.  I was really surprised that he did not make the finale.

While I agree that Faina had some good work during the season, there were a few times she was a bit "off" and produced something lackluster (can't remember the specifics that I'm thinking of at this time through).  I was glad that Andrew made it as although this alien may have been a bit underwhelming, he seemed to consistently be at the top throughout the season.

Edited by seacliffsal
Nelson and Andrew are not the same person
  • Love 2

I just do not understand why we had to do teams all season for the finalists to go on to the finale individually.  It seems totally pointless.  This season lacked direction. 

And on a completely unrelated, shallow note, @KCMUSSMAN's outfit at judging was too awesome.  I. WANT. THAT.  Not just saying it, either!  Heck, we always get to critique McKenzie, so here we go.......;)

• Love 6

So, how do we define the difference between cartoonish and whimsical?    

My probably wrong definition of cartoonish is that it looks as if it was created off of a two dimensional color cartoon in a newspaper or comic book.  And I'm not sure that that's a good definition, given all the movies made about cartoon characters.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

My probably wrong definition of cartoonish is that it looks as if it was created off of a two dimensional color cartoon in a newspaper or comic book.  And I'm not sure that that's a good definition, given all the movies made about cartoon characters.

This has been a debate for seasons now, and whatever the dictionary definition, I think at the end of the day it comes out to personal preference (both for us and the judges).  I've seen stuff that I thought was "the dreaded W word" get dinged and stuff that was too "cartoony" praised.  I don't know that there is any hard and fast rule for that. 

Edited by sourpickles
I keep leaving words out.
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

Hi Guys.

So this one didnt go so well for me...

I really did love the sculpt and I had so much fun working on it.

Some BTS stories:

There where some hands that I sculpted that I loved they came out great but I had to sacrafice them to mold the enormous cowl. It weighed a ton.

I wanted to do a very thorough cleanup of the mold at the end of the day and it came out perfect (the cracking scene wasnt as dramatic as it looked on t.v lol)

I had as very specific paint job in mind but when I got the foam it was a really bad run. I spent 3 hours out of 4 trying to salvage the piece... So I ended up trying my best to damage control.

I was positive I was a goner.  But I didnt give up and had to try and push. 

Im proud of myself for doing my best with what I had and wish I could have a redo on this challenge.

Im humbled that the judges chose me.

It was a hard season and Im proud to go into the finale with 2 wins, 4 top looks and no bottom looks. (although for me this was a bottom look.)

I loved Nelsons Makeup. It was the best.

And Faina is my girl!!

I hope you enjoy the finale!!

I've been rooting for you this season, KC!  I have a question if you care to answer.  Something I really enjoy about this show is there's minimal drama between contestants, contestants are supportive and helpful to each other, and therefore it's all about the work.  I'm wondering if it's the show's choice to avoid the manufactured drama found in most competitive reality shows, or if F/X people in general are just cool, accepting people.  Whatever it is, I really appreciate it.  Good luck!

• Love 2

Wow, I watched this show last night & just realized I never came here to read or post a comment. That pretty much shows how invested I am in this season, it's been a pretty nothing season for me.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I've been rooting for you this season, KC!  I have a question if you care to answer.  Something I really enjoy about this show is there's minimal drama between contestants, contestants are supportive and helpful to each other, and therefore it's all about the work.  I'm wondering if it's the show's choice to avoid the manufactured drama found in most competitive reality shows, or if F/X people in general are just cool, accepting people.  Whatever it is, I really appreciate it.  Good luck!

The show is pretty much honest reality. They follow us around with cameras but they dont tell us what to say or do. Everything that happened on tv is real and there is much much more. I loved all the contestants and made really great friends. 

Also Thank you for rooting for me. Its not taken for granted. I do makeup for you guys so your support means the world to me.

Edited by KCMUSSMAN
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, KCMUSSMAN said:

The show is pretty much honest reality. They follow us around with cameras but they dont tell us what to say or do. Everything that happened on tv is real and there is much much more. I loved all the contestants and made really great friends. 

Also Thank you for rooting for me. Its not taken for granted. I do makeup for you guys so your support means the world to me.

Do they prompt you guys to say when time is up?

1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I thought Nelson's alien was the only one whimsical and funny. I was bummed he wasn't in the finale. 

It was the only one that literally made me snort-laugh at the reveal. in the best way! I thought for sure he would get in the finale.

• Love 3

Faina was ROBBED!!! Oh my goodness me, Kiersten does something amazing at the last possible second and gets to go to the finale? This season has aggravated me to no end but this episode actually made me ANGRY. UGH, not right, not fair, not good. I knew Andrew would be in the finale and I felt pretty sure so would KC (see my post earlier in the thread) but I never in a million years would have thought Faina wouldnt. Poor thing, she made so many beautiful make ups all season long and none of it meant a thing. Fricken Kirsten.

• Love 9

Aw,  I'm going to miss Nelson.  In the season premiere my husband said,  "That guy's a serial killer, " and after that, any time he had an awkward TH,  I'd quickly invent a scenario about him spreading quicklime in his root cellar or whatnot. I'm a bit socially awkward myself,  so I swear I meant it with the greatest affection.  I also had an Uncle Nelson and have never met another Nelson in my life.  

• Love 3

KCMUSSMAN, I'm sure you weren't really enjoying it, but I loved how you thought on your feet and came up with solutions to the edging and sweating problems. That is the kind of drama I like to see on these kinds of shows. I really am glad it didn't cost you the challenge because I'm looking forward to what you do next. I also agree with whoever upstream said your dress at judging was awesome.

I am really surprised to see Faina and Nelson go. I thought Faina was a shoe in for the finale and Nelson was my second favorite one there.

That said, if they really do judge only the challenge at hand, Faina was the right choice to go. I would have picked Andrew to go with her. IDK I thought Nelson's fit the challenge perfectly. It really was a great, fun character. Andrew's looked like a weird old lady and Faina's was fake looking, surprisingly (for her, the color queen!) the color just seemed cheap.

I wonder if finally being on their own might have thrown them off.

• Love 1

I got to disagree with this one ... but not how most of you think.  I  thought Kiersten's was definitely the best one for this episode - I thought it was gorgeous but I agree that she hadn't been as strong all season. Andrew's was meh to me - very flat and I didn't care for the colors (too chalky) but the model sold it. After those two - I was assuming that the third finalist was Faina or even Nelson ... based on this challenge only. I really didn't care for KC's design this week. The colors were off and it just looked like there was a seam around the entire face.  I greatly respect KC commenting here and she's definitely talented at doing something that I never could do but I  think she got the last slot because of previous performance. In the end, the judges gave us a mixed bag of best from this challenge and strong overall performance. That being said, Face Off is probably the best reality competition of all - all contestants help each other out and are very likable. I will have no problem being happy for whichever of the finalists gets the win. Good luck!

• Love 3

They keep using that word ["amusing"].  I do not think it means what they think it means.

Kiersten's winning look? To me, it looked like she sculpted a giant acorn.  A lady handing out flowers while wearing a giant acorn for a head is probably somebody's idea of amusing.  Probably.

acornhead.JPG.30d5274f4edf6ebdac2bd92dcf9f598e.JPG

• Love 6

Yeah, I clearly don't share their idea of what fun, amusing and friendly aliens should look like. And even Nelson's, which was the most overtly "fun & friendly" of them all, bothered me with its cheesy/cartoony latex mask w/baked-in dopey expression. I didn't expect too much going in, though : Face Off contestants seem to struggle with whimsy & fun characters, most of the time, so fun aliens vaguely inspired by random space noises... it wasn't going to produce masterpieces.

Next week is monsters based on Glenn Hetrick's haunted house concepts, I'm expecting Andrew to do very well, but we'll see.

• Love 1

Well FINALLY we can see what the contestants can actually do! When Glenn asked the one girl (sorry I never learned any names this year because..Teams!) Where she had been I was yelling from my couch "Stuck on a dang stupid TEAM!! That's why!" Geese. They do another team season I'm out. This just sucked and I LOVE this show. (Normally) 

• Love 1
On 8/9/2017 at 8:23 AM, Chyromaniac said:

Godzilla's robot pal

Speaking of Godzilla, did y'all see where the guy who originally wore the Godzilla costume died very recently?  He had his Godzilla head on his desk.  It was as simple as it looked. Reporting his death

430F739500000578-0-image-a-88_1502159409

which becomes an intersting comparison for how face off is nowadays.

• Love 2

I'm happy with the final 3.  We thought all of the make-ups were good to great, and I could have made a case for any grouping of 3.  Overall, though, this season has been pretty 'meh' for us.  We remember very few of the make-ups, and there really hasn't been a single one that made us really geek out over it.  But as usual they all seem like a nice group of people, and we still love this show.  They're entitled to an "off" season.  Hopefully they'll learn and abandon the 'shop' concept.'  That just did not go over well with us.  :)

'

• Love 3
9 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Overall, though, this season has been pretty 'meh' for us.  We remember very few of the make-ups, and there really hasn't been a single one that made us really geek out over it.  But as usual they all seem like a nice group of people, and we still love this show.  They're entitled to an "off" season.  Hopefully they'll learn and abandon the 'shop' concept.'  That just did not go over well with us.  :)

This is what I've been thinking, too. There've been way too many good seasons to let a bad one chase me away! I do hope the contestants next season would know more about whimsy, cute, fun, anything not alien or horror, lol. 

• Love 5