Type keyword(s) to search

Titanic (1997)

Dejana
  • Start Topic

On 1/5/2023 at 6:42 PM, ursula said:

Titanic is first a love story, but it’s also a story about a girl finding and becoming the best version of herself. 

And all it took was 1500 people dying horribly!  

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

There's gotta be people who actually enjoy Rose and Jack, right?  😄  I enjoy the romance and even romantic comedy element of the movie for the first half of the movie, for sure!  (I love the whole film.)  I was the perfect age for Leo-Mania and I don't think that will ever change.  I already loved Leo from "Growing Pains" lol I was primed and ready.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There's gotta be people who actually enjoy Rose and Jack, right?  😄  I enjoy the romance and even romantic comedy element of the movie for the first half of the movie, for sure!  I was the perfect age for Leo-Mania and I don't think that will ever change.  I already loved Leo from "Growing Pains" lol I was primed and ready.

I do! It's why the movie is so hard for me to watch. I wanted Rose and Jack together forever. They did such a good job portraying two young people fall for each other so quickly. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 1/3/2023 at 9:42 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I was 12yrs old when this came out and my peers were obsessed with Leo. I enjoyed the film but it’s not one of my favorites. 

Shallow end of the pool. I remember all of the girls in my grade being obsessed with Leo and at the time, and he didn't do a thing for. I think he looks much better five years later in Catch Me If You Can

I saw the movie on a big screen when it first came out and again in 2012 when it had a 3D release. If it's been awhile since you saw it on a big screen, it is an amazing experience.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There's gotta be people who actually enjoy Rose and Jack, right?  😄  I enjoy the romance and even romantic comedy element of the movie for the first half of the movie, for sure!  (I love the whole film.)  I was the perfect age for Leo-Mania and I don't think that will ever change.  I already loved Leo from "Growing Pains" lol I was primed and ready.

YUP! I love the the love story and also fascinated by the ship herself.  All around good movie. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, Rose saying the Titanic was her “slave ship” deserved to be ripped on but I’m so fucking tired of the stupid door debate.

It's a horribly offensive line, but it also speaks to who she is, how sheltered she is, how little she knows of the world, and also she's a self-centered teenager. It's all about her and everything is so over-dramatic. 

• Like 6

"The Departed" and "90 Day Fiance" had me in tears, oh, my god...XD.

Also loved them noting how Rose apparently knew about all these conversations that were happening even when she wasn't there, and that clip of bald Billy Zane with that Notorious B.I.G. song playing in the background. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 2/14/2023 at 6:16 PM, Sarah 103 said:

It's all about her and everything is so over-dramatic. 

The entire movie is a drama queen's dream!  She is in "chains" on her "slave ship," meets a manic pixie dream guy, falls in love, does sex, poses for tastefully erotic art, gets a huge diamond for her troubles, goes down with the ship, survives anyways, gets to dump the manic pixie dream boy before things get too real, but in a way where she will get to be the forever victim and win every bad break up story ever, then starts her life over.  Finally, she gets to be the big center of attention one last time, drops the diamond in the water and returns to her manic pixie dream guy in Titanic heaven.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
On 2/16/2023 at 10:59 AM, txhorns79 said:

The entire movie is a drama queen's dream!  She is in "chains" on her "slave ship," meets a manic pixie dream guy, falls in love, does sex, poses for tastefully erotic art, gets a huge diamond for her troubles, goes down with the ship, survives anyways, gets to dump the manic pixie dream boy before things get too real, but in a way where she will get to be the forever victim and win every bad break up story ever, then starts her life over.  Finally, she gets to be the big center of attention one last time, drops the diamond in the water and returns to her manic pixie dream guy in Titanic heaven.  

It's almost like if she's the main character in a movie or something... 🤔

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 1/12/2023 at 9:24 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Not me, but I was also at an age where I should have been primed to love him, and I've never found him attractive. He's a bit older than me, but looked younger, at the time (not anymore, and I loathe that he's dating a nineteen-year-old, so he's even more unattractive to me now).

I'm one of those who hated Rose and Jack. I hate love triangles, and there were real people on that ship. I also remember the couple who were in bed, as it sank. 

As I probably mentioned before, my birthday is the 14th of April, and it's associated with the titanic. I remember looking up everyone's birthdays in my Smash Hits special edition. All nice things for other family members, and for me, the titanic hitting the iceberg, and Lincoln being shot. When we first watched the movie, the tape or the VCR was defective, so it was popping out every minute or two. That was annoying at first, then funny. 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Anela said:

I hate love triangles

Well Cal was an abusive a-hole and had future wife beater stitched in every inch of his expensive tuxedo, that Rose couldn't have loved even if she wanted to. Maybe I have a narrower understanding of the concept, but I always thought a love triangle meant the person in the middle cared for both suitors, even if there was a clear preference for one over the other. Rose hated Cal.

(I also don't think Cal cared for Rose either, any more than he cared for an expensive car or piece of land that he'd bought and paid for. He felt entitled to her, which is a completely different thing.)

Like I won't even define Cal's role in the movie as Alternative Love Interest. He was straight up The Villain.

Edited by ursula
  • Like 3
  • Applause 6
12 hours ago, Anela said:

Not me, but I was also at an age where I should have been primed to love him, and I've never found him attractive. He's a bit older than me, but looked younger, at the time (not anymore, and I loathe that he's dating a nineteen-year-old, so he's even more unattractive to me now).

I'm one of those who hated Rose and Jack. I hate love triangles, and there were real people on that ship. I also remember the couple who were in bed, as it sank. 

Ditto. I just never got the “OMG!! Leo!!!” stuff — even though I was in the target age range. He was too “emo pretty boy” for my tastes.

And yes to the couple in the bed — the Strausses. He was the owner of Macy’s. They offered him a spot in a lifeboat but he refused to leave with so many women and younger men onboard. His wife refused to leave without him. They put her maid on a boat and died together. Beautiful and heartbreaking. I seem to recall that his will included a note to Ida, telling her he hoped she would find enjoyment and think of herself since she always did so much for him and others.

I was introduced to the Titanic at age 9 when my grandmother did a project for her ladies’ club. She actually wrote to and received a reply from Bob Ballard(who found the wreckage in the 1980s — I have the letter now). So, I’ve been fascinated by the true story since then.

Of course, telling me about the Titanic while my parents were on a cruise was maybe not the wisest move.. 🤔

Edited by AgathaC
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, ursula said:

Maybe I have a narrower understanding of the concept, but I always thought a love triangle meant the person in the middle cared for both suitors, even if there was a clear preference for one over the other.

I have a more expansive definition of a love triangle. The person in the middle being wanted by both suitors makes it a love triangle as well. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Ditto. I just never got the “OMG!! Leo!!!” stuff — even though I was in the target age range. He was too “emo pretty boy” for my tastes.

And yes to the couple in the bed — the Strausses. He was the owner of Macy’s. They offered him a spot in a lifeboat but he refused to leave with so many women and younger men onboard. His wife refused to leave without him. They put her maid on a boat and died together. Beautiful and heartbreaking. I seem to recall that his will included a note to Ida, telling her he hoped she would find enjoyment and think of herself since she always did so much for him and others.

I was introduced to the Titanic at age 9 when my grandmother did a project for her ladies’ club. She actually wrote to and received a reply from Bob Ballard(who found the wreckage in the 1980s — I have the letter now). So, I’ve been fascinated by the true story since then.

Of course, telling me about the Titanic while my parents were on a cruise was maybe not the wisest move.. 🤔

I was at the age I should have loved Jack and Rose too. I really do like the actors and loved them in other movies. But I wasn't feeling it. Mostly because they just met and were already fighting for their love. While you had couples deciding whether or not to get in lifeboat. What a horrible choice. Stay and die or get in and leave your husband to die? I cried when Ida Strauss decided to stay and die with her husband  and make sure her maid got off the boat. Given her coat to her. I cried over the band members who decided to come back and die together. Rose and Jack I didn't feel anything during those scenes. 

• Like 3

*raises hand*

I was just shy of 17 when this movie was released. (In fact, going to see it for like the fourth time in the theaters was the only thing I wanted to do for my 17th birthday in March 1998, haha.) I was very much the target audience for the love story aspect of it and it got me hook, line, and sinker.

My first viewing, after the kiss on the bow, I leaned over to my mother and whispered, "I want to rewind it and watch it again." When it was released on VHS, sometimes if I wanted to watch it but didn't want to cry, I'd just watch the first tape. That way for me, Jack and Rose both got on a lifeboat and lived happily ever after.

I was never really a Leo fangirl but I was totally a Jack Dawson fangirl. Because I didn't think it was too much to ask for a guy to change my life in three days and save me from a maritime disaster. :)

To this day, Titanic is my favorite movie. I went to the theater last weekend and my obsession has been reignited. Partly because I remember how it made me feel when I was 16 but also because I find Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio so utterly charming together that their energy is infectious. I found myself grinning like a doofus during my viewing last week pretty much up until the ship hits the iceberg and shit gets real.

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I was at the age I should have loved Jack and Rose too.

I wonder what is the age that should be drawn in by this five-minute "romance" between two twits in the face of the terrible tragedy unfolding while they decide to fuck in someone's car and eagerly anticipate a life of poverty?  I was nearly 30 when this came out and I saw it with friends, and while some swooned over DiCaprio and all liked Winslet, no one was drawn into their characters' relationship.  I really don't think there's an age at which, knowing this was an add-on to a true story, I'd have been captivated by them, but obviously can't say for sure.

There's a Litmus Test thread here, about films you judge friends on whether they love or hate, and I didn't think I had any, but I recently realized, upon coming across - and hard passing on - this film for the umpteenth time on TV that it is one in a way:  Those who like it in spite of itself, because of the great cast, the beautiful cinematography, and the profound character moments (the third class passengers who never had a chance, like the mom reading to her kids, the old couple cuddled up in bed getting ready to go out together, the captain going down with the ship) sprinkled throughout the Rose and Jack dreck, great, but someone who actually loves the centering of Rose and Jack's insipid "love" story I'm going to side-eye until I learn more about them to balance that out.  I have precisely one friend who loves this film including that aspect, and I adore her, but literally every time I have watched a film/show she likes and other friends don't, I've hated it.  It's a handy shortcut.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Dani-Ellie said:

*raises hand*

I was just shy of 17 when this movie was released. (In fact, going to see it for like the fourth time in the theaters was the only thing I wanted to do for my 17th birthday in March 1998, haha.) I was very much the target audience for the love story aspect of it and it got me hook, line, and sinker.

My first viewing, after the kiss on the bow, I leaned over to my mother and whispered, "I want to rewind it and watch it again." When it was released on VHS, sometimes if I wanted to watch it but didn't want to cry, I'd just watch the first tape. That way for me, Jack and Rose both got on a lifeboat and lived happily ever after.

I was never really a Leo fangirl but I was totally a Jack Dawson fangirl. Because I didn't think it was too much to ask for a guy to change my life in three days and save me from a maritime disaster. :)

To this day, Titanic is my favorite movie. I went to the theater last weekend and my obsession has been reignited. Partly because I remember how it made me feel when I was 16 but also because I find Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio so utterly charming together that their energy is infectious. I found myself grinning like a doofus during my viewing last week pretty much up until the ship hits the iceberg and shit gets real.

That's a very sweet story, thank you.  I'd love to go and watch it again in theatres.  The only thing that gives me pause is the running time.  But I love that they re-release it for the fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's a very sweet story, thank you.  I'd love to go and watch it again in theatres.  The only thing that gives me pause is the running time.  But I love that they re-release it for the fans.

Even if you think the love story is stupid, there is much more to the movie than the love story. Seeing it on a big screen again may be worth it. It's an amazing experience that I highly recommend. I saw it 10 years ago during it's last big-screen re-release (in 3D) and it was awesome.  

@Bastet I remember my classmates (late elementary school) having huge crushes on Leo and thinking he was so cute, but I don't remember anyone being totally enamoured with the love story and thinking it was the most romantic thing ever. 

Edited by Sarah 103
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I wonder what is the age that should be drawn in by this five-minute "romance" between two twits in the face of the terrible tragedy unfolding while they decide to fuck in someone's car and eagerly anticipate a life of poverty?  I was nearly 30 when this came out and I saw it with friends, and while some swooned over DiCaprio and all liked Winslet, no one was drawn into their characters' relationship.  I really don't think there's an age at which, knowing this was an add-on to a true story, I'd have been captivated by them, but obviously can't say for sure.

There's a Litmus Test thread here, about films you judge friends on whether they love or hate, and I didn't think I had any, but I recently realized, upon coming across - and hard passing on - this film for the umpteenth time on TV that it is one in a way:  Those who like it in spite of itself, because of the great cast, the beautiful cinematography, and the profound character moments (the third class passengers who never had a chance, like the mom reading to her kids, the old couple cuddled up in bed getting ready to go out together, the captain going down with the ship) sprinkled throughout the Rose and Jack dreck, great, but someone who actually loves the centering of Rose and Jack's insipid "love" story I'm going to side-eye until I learn more about them to balance that out.  I have precisely one friend who loves this film including that aspect, and I adore her, but literally every time I have watched a film/show she likes and other friends don't, I've hated it.  It's a handy shortcut.

I went to see the movie, expecting to be bored out of my mind until the iceberg showed up - I was more interested in the disaster element than the 'romance'.  I did actually find the first half more entertaining than I'd expected, but it was in spite of the romance and certainly not because of it.  (mid 20s when it came out, if that makes a difference!)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

No, I'm on the side that doesn't think the love story is stupid :)

Neither did I. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I loved the movie because of the love story, not in spite of it*. I can think of a lot worse media to judge people for (sexist, homophobic, racist, classist, elitist media comes to mind) before condemning anyone for being stupid or morally defective for enjoying a romance between two young teenagers, fundamentally good people and star-crossed lovers. I also have no hang ups over sex, so I found the creative way of including the "horny teenagers have car sex" trope in the middle of the Atlantic as amusing, not outrageous. 

I guess it says something about modern day's cynicism that so many think that Rose leaving an abusive relationship to be - horror of horrors - not a 1%-er .... was morally wrong. (Of course, the irony that Cal lost all his money and committed suicide and Rose would have ended up poor either way, only this time with the scars of domestic abuse to nurture, doesn't factor into this moral judgment.)

*To be clear, I also loved all the background vignettes like the Strausses dying in bed together. What can I say... I actually liked all the details in the movie. It's not a zero-sum game for me - I can enjoy the fictional story of Jack and Rose, and all the real life stories in the background as well.  

Edited by ursula
  • Like 6
  • Applause 4
15 minutes ago, ursula said:

Neither did I. Call me a hopeless romantic, but I loved the movie because of the love story, not in spite of it*. I can think of a lot worse media to judge people for (homophobic, racist, classist, elitist media comes to mind) before condemning anyone for being stupid or morally defective for enjoying a romance between two young teenagers, fundamentally good people and star-crossed lovers. I also have no hang ups over sex, so I found the creative way of including the "horny teenagers have car sex" trope in the middle of the Atlantic as amusing, not outrageous. 

I guess it says something about modern day's cynicism that so many think that Rose leaving an abusive relationship to be - horror of horrors - not a 1%-er .... was morally wrong. (Of course, the irony that Cal lost all his money and committed suicide and Rose would have ended up poor either way, only this time with the scars of domestic abuse to nurture, doesn't factor into this moral judgment.)

*To be clear, I also loved all the background vignettes the Strausses dying in bed together. What can I say... I actually liked all the details in the movie. It's not a zero-sum game for me - I can enjoy the fictional story of Jack and Rose, and all the real life stories in the background as well.  

Whoa. I didn't judge people for loving it, and I certainly didn't judge Rose for leaving an abusive relationship. I just thought a love triangle was lazy, and I wasn't invested in them at all. Your whole post was more cynical and judgemental than whatever you're basing your post on.

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
On 2/18/2023 at 1:45 PM, ursula said:

Well Cal was an abusive a-hole and had future wife beater stitched in every inch of his expensive tuxedo, that Rose couldn't have loved even if she wanted to. Maybe I have a narrower understanding of the concept, but I always thought a love triangle meant the person in the middle cared for both suitors, even if there was a clear preference for one over the other. Rose hated Cal.

(I also don't think Cal cared for Rose either, any more than he cared for an expensive car or piece of land that he'd bought and paid for. He felt entitled to her, which is a completely different thing.)

Like I won't even define Cal's role in the movie as Alternative Love Interest. He was straight up The Villain.

And I would agree. It was still a triangle. You actually assumed that I was a fan of the abusive pratt she was with on the boat? Would you actually like to sue me, because I didn't like the movie?

Edited by Anela
3 hours ago, Anela said:

Whoa. I didn't judge people for loving it

No, but there are those who do.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I fall somewhere in the middle, at least partly because Titanic has so many of the same beats as The Terminator, one of my favorite movies ever. Would Rose have been happy with Jack? Without a different ending, one where he survives the boat sinking, it's impossible to say, but I would hazard that she would have been miserable with Cal, even with his tidy bank account. Positioning Cal as the superior choice (apparently) because he and Rose wouldn't have lived in poverty seems weird, since he was an asshole and Ruth seemed so coldly determined to see the marriage happen that she might have married him herself if she hadn't been likely past her child-bearing years. Of course Rose was wildly exaggerating in saying the boat was a slave ship, but I can see where she'd consider Jack several leagues above the dipshit she was engaged to.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 2/18/2023 at 7:00 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I have a more expansive definition of a love triangle. The person in the middle being wanted by both suitors makes it a love triangle as well. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Positioning Cal as the superior choice (apparently) because he and Rose wouldn't have lived in poverty seems weird,

That's a thing?  Of all the discussion this complicated film has produced, I've never seen that posited.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe age is the wrong word. I loved romantic movies, star cross loves, and was a lot less picky and cynical. I should have loved Jack and Rose but was surprised when I didn't. 

13 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

there is much more to the movie than the love story.

I think while the love story was a love story, it was also a story-telling tool. Both characters are windows into their respective class and the people the classes were made up of. Sure, not everyone was the same but generally, that's how things were.

I'm not entirely sure how to explain what I mean but I'm not sure if the movie would have had the same effect without the characters involved in the love story even if you weren't invested in the love story. I think it gave us insights that we otherwise wouldn't have gotten and made the tragedy more personal, if you will. Not because of the love story but because of the characters we got to know and how we got to know them through the love story.

I also think a lot of the class differences wouldn't have had the same effect without the love story and the love story tied the movie together as it tied the classes and the characters together. The love story made it one story from start to finish, without it, we would have had three: a 1st class story, a 3rd class story and the story of the sinking.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

The love story made it one story from start to finish, without it, we would have had three: a 1st class story, a 3rd class story and the story of the sinking.

I think you've actually just explained why this movie works better than A Night to RememberTitanic, despite having multiple plotlines, is actually one cohesive story, and everything ultimately fits together. There is a payoff to almost everything that's shown from the moment they board the ship to the sinking. A Night to Remember is collection of short little character sketches. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 2/19/2023 at 7:46 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

but I would hazard that she would have been miserable with Cal, even with his tidy bank account. Positioning Cal as the superior choice (apparently) because he and Rose wouldn't have lived in poverty seems weird

The movie is not subtle about this at all. When Cal throws the table and leaves, and Trudy comes to help Rose, what does she say? "We had a little accident." She's already playing the role of the victim of domestic violence. The self-blame (We), the blatant lies to cover up for him (had an accident)... Like I said, it's not subtle at all, which is why it's surprising when people reduce Rose as a "spoiled rich girl wanting a fling" and miss the part where she's a young woman being bullied and groomed into a life of domestic abuse. Yes, the "slave ship" is melodramatic and borderline offensive... but it's not entirely hyperbole. She had very much been bought and paid for - a fact that her mother now and Cal later would remind her at every opportunity. Violently, if need be.

Edited by ursula
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, ursula said:

The movie is not subtle about this at all. When Cal throws the table and leaves, and Trudy comes to help Rose, what does she say? "We had a little accident." She's already playing the role of the victim of domestic violence. The self-blame (We), the blatant lies to cover up for him (had an accident)... Like I said, it's not subtle at all, which is why it's surprising when people reduce Rose as a "spoiled rich girl wanting a fling" and miss the part where she's a young woman being bullied and groomed into a life of domestic abuse. Yes, the "slave ship" is melodramatic and borderline offensive... but it's not entirely hyperbole. She had very much been bought and paid for - a fact that her mother now and Cal later would remind her at every opportunity. Violently, if need be.

What's ironic about people who hate her part of the story and thinking along those lines is that that was also written into the movie.  Rose isn't clueless as to what people with lesser means might think about her.  "I know what you're thinking 'Poor little rich girl--what does she know about misery?'". If she understood that, she already knew how trapped she would be if she went through with the marriage.

• Like 11
On 2/18/2023 at 11:42 PM, andromeda331 said:

I was at the age I should have loved Jack and Rose too. I really do like the actors and loved them in other movies. But I wasn't feeling it. Mostly because they just met and were already fighting for their love. While you had couples deciding whether or not to get in lifeboat. What a horrible choice. Stay and die or get in and leave your husband to die? I cried when Ida Strauss decided to stay and die with her husband  and make sure her maid got off the boat. Given her coat to her. I cried over the band members who decided to come back and die together. Rose and Jack I didn't feel anything during those scenes. 

The relationship somehow just didn’t ring true for me.  I just don’t see them together, I don’t know why.  They just didn’t click for me.  And I kind of hated her for some reason.  Maybe because of what she did at the end..

I felt for the mom and kids, the Strauss husband and wife, but I felt nothing when he died.

• Like 2

There's gotta be people who actually enjoy Rose and Jack, right? 

I was okay with them.  My main interest was the ship itself and what happened to it, historically.  I thought Jack and Rose served their purpose as characters through whom we could view the human tragedy.

• Like 2

I am rewatching for the millionth time and for the first time ever every single thing about Rose is getting on my nerves. I hate how she says jacks name. I hate that she spends 95% of the movie shrieking (not talking about when the ship is sinking, it's reasonable there. Just. In general.). I've always loved the love story. Titanic is such an unimaginable tragedy that it makes sense to give us a love story to humanize it.

I don't care about the door debate. I hadn't thought about whether or not 2 people could fit on that door until the Mythbusters said 2 people could but what I care about right now is Rose was on a dang life boat! She was on one! She could have gotten on with her mother (*not ideal,  but still alive), she was on the boat that Jack and Cal forced her on. If she would have stayed there Jack probably would have survived! And they could have found each other again when their ship wasn't sinking and everyone was dying horribly around them. I was wondering to myself, as the ship was about to go down and they were about to take their deep breath if jack harbored any resentment? If she had stayed on the dang boat we wouldn't be here right now!

And then I was irritated again when she says her " I love you" and he tells her to not give up? Wheres her inspirational speech to him? Did she not notice that he was saying YOU'RE going to go on? There was no "we". He didn't say "we're going to have all these kids together" it was "you're  going to have all of these kids" and what does she say? I'll tell you what she doesn't say. She doesn't say "we! Jack! We are going to have all the babies" she says that they'll fill her body. And then she says she's so cold! Like he hasn't been in freezing water this whole time. 

And because on this viewing Rose tap danced on every single nerve ending I had available it also irritated me that her Titanic themed heaven had someone opening and holding open the door for her. That guy didn't die in the deep, to open the door for you in 84 years, Rose. You learned to fly a plane you can open your own door. 

Also. Did her mother become a seamstress? 

Edited by hiisa
Spelling
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, hiisa said:

I am rewatching for the millionth time and for the first time ever every single thing about Rose is getting on my nerves. I hate how she says jacks name. I hate that she spends 95% of the movie shrieking (not talking about when the ship is sinking, it's reasonable there. Just. In general.). I've always loved the love story. Titanic is such an unimaginable tragedy that it makes sense to give us a love story to humanize it.

I don't care about the door debate. I hadn't thought about whether or not 2 people could fit on that door until the Mythbusters said 2 people could but what I care about right now is Rose was on a dang life boat! She was on one! She could have gotten on with her mother (*not ideal,  but still alive), she was on the boat that Jack and Cal forced her on. If she would have stayed there Jack probably would have survived! And they could have found each other again when their ship wasn't sinking and everyone was dying horribly around them. I was wondering to myself, as the ship was about to go down and they were about to take their deep breath if jack harbored any resentment? If she had stayed on the dang boat we wouldn't be here right now!

And then I was irritated again when she says her " I love you" and he tells her to not give up? Wheres her inspirational speech to him? Did she not notice that he was saying YOU'RE going to go on? There was no "we". He didn't say "we're going to have all these kids together" it was "you're  going to have all of these kids" and what does she say? I'll tell you what she doesn't say. She doesn't say "we! Jack! We are going to have all the babies" she says that they'll fill her body. And then she says she's so cold! Like he hasn't been in freezing water this whole time. 

And because on this viewing Rose tap danced on every single nerve ending I had available it also irritated me that her Titanic themed heaven had someone opening and holding open the door for her. That guy didn't die in the deep, to open the door for you in 84 years, Rose. You learned to fly a plane you can open your own door. 

You hit the moment that annoys me the most. Rose getting out of the lifeboat! Yes if she had stayed in the boat Jack would have lived. Forget the door. She should have stayed in the lifeboat.

On 11/4/2023 at 11:16 PM, hiisa said:

I don't think they ever established what happened to her mother.  The last time we saw her, she looked fairly shell shocked and broken.  As far as the movie was concerned, it appeared Rose was content to let her think she was dead.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't think they ever established what happened to her mother.  The last time we saw her, she looked fairly shell shocked and broken.  As far as the movie was concerned, it appeared Rose was content to let her think she was dead.

Can’t say I blame Rose. Ruth was willing to basically sell her own daughter out for money. Not saying she deserved to think Rose died, but I don’t feel sorry for her either.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1