Type keyword(s) to search

Titanic (1997)

Dejana
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Titanic has its twentieth anniversary this year!

The most important thing about the Jack/Rose relationship, IMO, was that it altered the entire course of her life, despite lasting three days or so, much like the trip on the Titanic for so many passengers. It both baffles and amuses me that the "Jack could have fit on the door, too!" debate has raged for two decades! If James Cameron had wanted Jack to live...he would have just written it that way. The movie would have needed a very different structure, though, probably not centered around flashbacks, unless Jack made it to 104 or something.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 10

Billy Zane's career went down with this ship.

I do think the film works in spite of the often on-the-nose dialogue. Spectacle and sentiment won out. A blockbuster indeed. Can't think of any other films in the 90s that became as huge.

• Love 2

I hate this movie.  It is an almost stunningly beautiful-looking film, but the Jack/Rose storyline is so ridiculous, and annoying as a centerpiece, that I've never watched it again.

The mother reading to her two kids as they're tucked obliviously into their third-class bunk, the older couple (who make me think of Isidor and Ida Strauss) cuddled up together on their bed as the water comes in, and the captain going down with the ship - those are the iconic images of Titanic for me.  I like Victor Garber's performance, and Kathy Bates' short stint as Molly Brown.  Jack and Rose's five-minute "romance" and Rose's eagerness to be a poor woman in 1912 America, not so much.

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hate this movie.  It is an almost stunningly beautiful-looking film, but the Jack/Rose storyline is so ridiculous, and annoying as a centerpiece, that I've never watched it again.

The mother reading to her two kids as they're tucked obliviously into their third-class bunk, the older couple (who make me think of Isidor and Ida Strauss) cuddled up together on their bed as the water comes in, and the captain going down with the ship - those are the iconic images of Titanic for me.  I like Victor Garber's performance, and Kathy Bates' short stint as Molly Brown.  Jack and Rose's five-minute "romance" and Rose's eagerness to be a poor woman in 1912 America, not so much.

This perfectly describes my opinion of the overblown puff-piece with all style and scarcely any content of note.It pulls at the emotional heart strings first time round, but after a couple of repeat viewings and you focus more on the story rather than the scenery, you realise how vacuous it all is.

Shame the floating door didn't break up into a million splinters, thus sending Rose down with her beloved Jack

• Love 3

I like this movie.  I just happened to be going through a semi-obsessive period with the Titanic story when this movie came out.  Yes, the Jack/Rose story is corny and stereotypical - I usually laugh at the part where Billy Zane grabs a baby to get onto a lifeboat - it's such a dastardly cliched thing to do.  But to me the romance just serves as the backdrop to the real story, the sinking of the Titanic and the incredible tragedy that it was.  And that part was really well done for the most part.

• Love 17

I like this too.   Kate & Leo have a fun chemistry and I like that they're still friends.   Also, the costuming (especially Kate's) is outstanding; I love the huge hat she's wearing when we first see her. 

It's also very quotable "It's a mathematical certainty" can be used for many occasions.  Thanks Victor Garber!

Still, my friends and I wondered 1) Did Rose ever tell her mother she survived and 2) In the afterlife, she hooks back up with Jack, but what about her (presumed) husband?  Didn't she marry and have a kid to get that granddaughter and the husband was dead?  Did he care that in the afterlife she's back with Jack?  Inquiring minds want to know.

20 years!! Damn, I feel old.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, raven said:

Still, my friends and I wondered 1) Did Rose ever tell her mother she survived and 2) In the afterlife, she hooks back up with Jack, but what about her (presumed) husband?  Didn't she marry and have a kid to get that granddaughter and the husband was dead?  Did he care that in the afterlife she's back with Jack?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Maybe we'll get the answers in the sequel.  Titanic II:  Heaven Can Wait.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, raven said:

Still, my friends and I wondered 1) Did Rose ever tell her mother she survived

I remember some comment from a Keldysh crew member regarding if Rose was who she said she was. He was stating emphatically that Rose had died on the Titanic in 1917. I'm going to presume that means she did not tell her mother she was alive.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I remember some comment from a Keldysh crew member regarding if Rose was who she said she was. He was stating emphatically that Rose had died on the Titanic in 1917. I'm going to presume that means she did not tell her mother she was alive.

Also, she allowed Cal to walk right past her without speaking up and revealing that she'd survived, and Cal was on way better terms with Rose's mother than Rose herself was by the time the boat started to sink. Titanic is responsible for me forming the opinion that Frances Fisher excels at playing characters who are hovering on the edge of a psychotic break.

I still love this movie, and I don't even care about how sappy and unrealistic it may be. Even if Rose was only wanting to escape from her confining lifestyle and had no appreciation for what it actually meant to be poor, this is one of the times I can let it slide.

• Love 11
22 hours ago, raven said:

I like this too.   Kate & Leo have a fun chemistry and I like that they're still friends.   Also, the costuming (especially Kate's) is outstanding; I love the huge hat she's wearing when we first see her. 

It's also very quotable "It's a mathematical certainty" can be used for many occasions.  Thanks Victor Garber!

20 years!! Damn, I feel old.

She didn't even try to cash in on the diamond when she was broke post-Titanic, so it doesn't seem she let on about her old life to anyone before. I could watch this movie on a loop but I thought it was so stupid of Rose to throw the Heart of the Ocean overboard, I don't feel the movie would have lost anything if she'd left it among her things instead. At least Cameron scrapped that horrible alternate ending where the granddaughter and Bill Paxton caught her on the railing.

• Love 3

She did have all that cash that Cal had stuffed into the coat back in his stateroom. He even commented later about putting the coat on Rose and that the diamond was still in one of the pockets, along with presumably all that cash.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Tossing the diamond didn't bother me, but I'm the only one I know who feels that way.  I kind of liked that she made her way without cashing it in.

I don't know...the sappy part of me thinks that as an adult with a child, she may have sought out her mother to introduce her to her grandchild.  Maybe she (the mother) would have been happy about it and mellowed or something.

I was just googling to find out Rose's mother's name in the movie and it popped up that Rose was based on a real person, Beatrice Wood.  I never knew that!

James Cameron invited Beatrice to the premiere of Titanic, but she declined due her health. Bear in mind, she was a mere 104 years old at the time!. So Cameron and Gloria Stuart (who plays the older woman, Rose) dined with Beatrice in her home and presented her with a video of the movie. She vehemently declined to watch it, saying that she knew it would be a sad movie and that it was too late in life to be sad. She died only a few days later, at the age of 105.

• Love 4

I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time.  I didn't realize there was a backlash, or so much controversy about Rose and the board/door.  I liked the movie.  However, what I found unbelievable was Jack and Rose being on the ship until the very last moment.  At that point, they literally would have gone down with the ship.  Anything that big sinking would have sucked everything nearby down with it.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, raven said:

Tossing the diamond didn't bother me, but I'm the only one I know who feels that way.  I kind of liked that she made her way without cashing it in.

I don't care if she wanted to cash it in or not, I just think it was stupid and selfish of her to just toss it in the ocean where no one would ever be able to appreciate it again.  There aren't many natural diamonds like that in the world. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

It was a private piece of her long-hidden past. Let her do with it she pleases.

I agree and this is worded much more nicely than what I said.

IIRC it was actually Cal's property.  I think someone mentions that he collected the insurance on it.   However if it were to turn up, it would still be his property.  Of course she could have done something shady with it, but she apparently didn't need the money, didn't want attention drawn to it (and so to her) and it meant too much to her to let go.  So it ends up at the bottom of the ocean, which is where everyone thought it was anyway. 

• Love 3

I always thought it was shitty how Rose abandoned her mother, especially since it was revealed during the movie that all their family money was gone. Was she expecting Cal to give the mother a lump sum to live off of or something? I understand that Rose found life with the horsey set confining, but what were her other options in 1912? Working in some sweatshop for fifty cents a day? 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/28/2017 at 2:49 AM, TigerLynx said:

I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time.  I didn't realize there was a backlash, or so much controversy about Rose and the board/door.  I liked the movie.  However, what I found unbelievable was Jack and Rose being on the ship until the very last moment.  At that point, they literally would have gone down with the ship.  Anything that big sinking would have sucked everything nearby down with it.

Real-life survivor Charles Joughin, the ship's chief baker, is portrayed in the movie. According to his account, he was hanging onto the railing when Titanic went underwater.

On 7/28/2017 at 2:09 PM, rmontro said:

I don't care if she wanted to cash it in or not, I just think it was stupid and selfish of her to just toss it in the ocean where no one would ever be able to appreciate it again.  There aren't many natural diamonds like that in the world. 

I get that Rose wanted the focus to be on the people of the ship and not the things in it. OTOH, I think the diamond being found so many years later would have brought infinitely more attention to her story, and by extension, Jack, and isn't that what she would have wanted?

On 7/28/2017 at 6:50 PM, raven said:

I agree and this is worded much more nicely than what I said.

IIRC it was actually Cal's property.  I think someone mentions that he collected the insurance on it.   However if it were to turn up, it would still be his property.  Of course she could have done something shady with it, but she apparently didn't need the money, didn't want attention drawn to it (and so to her) and it meant too much to her to let go.  So it ends up at the bottom of the ocean, which is where everyone thought it was anyway. 

The diamond was a gift to Rose; Cal's father collected on the insurance money after she was presumed dead. IDK if the diamond would have been treated like an engagement ring, though the law there can be murky with respect to possession if the relationship ends before marriage. Cal married someone else after Rose's "death", probably had a few kids before his suicide post-1929 Crash, and I guess his descendants would have tried to make a claim on it, too. The Heart of the Ocean would have been the center of a legal mess for sure.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:16 PM, BitterApple said:

I always thought it was shitty how Rose abandoned her mother, especially since it was revealed during the movie that all their family money was gone. Was she expecting Cal to give the mother a lump sum to live off of or something? I understand that Rose found life with the horsey set confining, but what were her other options in 1912? Working in some sweatshop for fifty cents a day? 

Rose's mother tells the other ladies at lunch that Rose doesn't need to go to university because she's already engaged. Maybe instead of getting engaged to some jerk she didn't love, Rose could have gone to school, gotten a degree and become a teacher, nurse or something along those lines. Upper class women of that era did have a few options if they didn't want to go the Mrs. route. Mother DeWitt Bukater wanted to keep up the status quo as much as possible, understandable given her age and the times, but it's a lot to ask of a teenager who was born into that life but hadn't necessarily signed on for it.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Rose's mother tells the other ladies at lunch that Rose doesn't need to go to university because she's already engaged. Maybe instead of marrying some jerk she didn't love, Rose could have gone to school, gotten a degree and become a teacher, nurse or something along those lines. Upper class women of that era did have a few options if they didn't want to go the Mrs. route.

I was more than a little convinced that Rose's mother was the one insisting on the marriage, that because her husband had died (apparently) and left them without any money she wanted her daughter to marry Cal, who was rich and could provide for both Rose and maybe-probably her as well.

• Love 8

I think knowing that she was essentially a prize or possession to both Cal and her mother was enough for Rose to never want them in her life again. No one is saying it's a perfect decision to never tell her mother she survived, just a human one.

You can tell in the moment when her mother orders her into the lifeboat that Rose has crossed a threshold where she would rather die than ever be under her power again. That Jack perishes and she survives probably made her even more bitter.

• Love 12

When Rose and her mother were talking, "The money is gone.  Your father left us nothing, but our good name and a pile of debts."  Rose, "How can you put this all on me?"  Mother, "We are women of course our choices are harder and unfair.  Would you have me put to work as a seamstress?"  The conversation pretty much said, "Your father was a worthless jerk, we have no money, so marry this other rich jerk so we'll have money, and I can continue to enjoy life in the manner I am accustomed."

When they are getting into the lifeboats, and Rose's mother is complaining about the cold, Rose tells her there are not enough lifeboats, not everyone will survive, and Cal says, "At least it will be the right sort of people," that underscored for Rose how horrible Cal was, and how horrible life would be with him.  Hundreds of people were going to die, and all Cal and Rose's mother cared about were money, status, appearances and how cold it was.  I can see why Rose would let them believe she had died.

• Love 19
On 7/25/2017 at 8:38 AM, Dejana said:

Titanic has its twentieth anniversary this year!

The most important thing about the Jack/Rose relationship, IMO, was that it altered the entire course of her life, despite lasting three days or so, much like the trip on the Titanic for so many passengers. It both baffles and amuses me that the "Jack could have fit on the door, too!" debate has raged for two decades! If James Cameron had wanted Jack to live...he would have just written it that way. The movie would have needed a very different structure, though, probably not centered around flashbacks, unless Jack made it to 104 or something.

I'm of the mindset that had Jack lived Rose would've been miserable. He had to die in order for her to truly break free and have the life she desired. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

When Rose and her mother were talking, "The money is gone.  Your father left us nothing, but our good name and a pile of debts."  Rose, "How can you put this all on me?"  Mother, "We are women of course our choices are harder and unfair.  Would you have me put to work as a seamstress?"  The conversation pretty much said, "Your father was a worthless jerk, we have no money, so marry this other rich jerk so we'll have money, and I can continue to enjoy life in the manner I am accustomed."

When they are getting into the lifeboats, and Rose's mother is complaining about the cold, Rose tells her there are not enough lifeboats, not everyone will survive, and Cal says, "At least it will be the right sort of people," that underscored for Rose how horrible Cal was, and how horrible life would be with him.  Hundreds of people were going to die, and all Cal and Rose's mother cared about were money, status, appearances and how cold it was.  I can see why Rose would let them believe she had died.

Yup, that is why I can't feel too sorry for Ruth. What kind of mother uses her only child as a meal ticket? Marrying into Cal's fortune is just another kind of prostitution. If she felt any kind of remorse after Rose "died", then good. She deserved it.

Kate's cold delivery of "Goodbye, Mother" was perfect.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 11

I've watched this movie numerous times, but my latest impression of Rose is that she is a spoiled brat who doesn't appreciate what she has, is rude to most of the people around her, and runs off with the first "bad boy" who gives her some attention.  The fact that she can stick it to her mother and her fiance is just an added bonus.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

One of the most hilarious things about this film is how seamlessly it dispatches Jack's two friends during the third act.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Irish guy's death was tragic. The Italian guy's death was hilarious.

I chuckled at the Titanic joke at the end of The Legends of Tomorrow season 3 trailer.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
(edited)

I hated this movie. What lost me was when Jack and Rose are running through the freezing water throughout the ship, never the worse for wear, and she's barefoot and in her nightgown. I couldn't take it seriously after that. 

I cried when the ship went down, but I laughed when Jack slid off the door.

Edited by SmithW6079

I watched this movie strictly for the set and the clothes. I was devastated to watch all that mahogany, all that crystal, the paintings, the china, that gorgeous car! all sink to the bottom. I couldn't give a rats ass about Jack and Rose or their love story. My heart did break for Thomas Andrews, Victor Garber's character, seeing his beautiful creation going down.

I am obsessed with the actual Titanic so I couldn't not watch it, but ugh did Jack and Rose work my last nerves. Her clothes, however, were stunning.

• Love 9

I was seven years old the first time I watched the Titanic and haven't seen it since. It wasn't about Jack or Rose. I knew their story was fictional but that the sinking of the ship was something that had happened. I couldn't sleep that night. My dad had to change my pillowcase twice that night because I was sweating through them. I felt so desperate at the thought of all those people dying on the boat. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Vera said:

I was seven years old the first time I watched the Titanic and haven't seen it since. It wasn't about Jack or Rose. I knew their story was fictional but that the sinking of the ship was something that had happened. I couldn't sleep that night. My dad had to change my pillowcase twice that night because I was sweating through them. I felt so desperate at the thought of all those people dying on the boat. 

I was in fifth grade ) when it came out and my parents refused to let me watch it.  Everyone else in my school saw it except me, and I hated it, despite the warnings of people knowing how sensitive I was told me not to see it.

When I was finally old enough to watch it on TV, I was very very grateful that I hadn't seen it sooner.  The part with the frozen corpse of the mother and infant...I can't even think about that image today without wanting to throw up.

• Hugs 2
  • Love 4

I guess I'm not one of those people who picks apart a movie to death.  I never cared that Jack wasn't on the door, it made sense to me that if he had gotten on as well it would have sank as was evidenced when he did try to get on and they both fell back into the water.  I don't care if Mythbusters did an experiment on it.  

I also didn't care that she never told her mother she survived.  Had she done so, she would have just been put right back into the chains she was trying to get out of.  Her mother was bound and determined to marry her off to some rich dude so she could keep up appearances.

The sinking is mostly why I watch.  James Cameron did very well portraying the desperation of those trying to get off along with the panic when the final realization came that the ship WAS actually going to go down.  The terror was palpable even though I was watching it 80 years later knowing full well it was going down.  

It's still one of my top ten favorites.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I am obsessed with the actual Titanic so I couldn't not watch it, but ugh did Jack and Rose work my last nerves. Her clothes, however, were stunning.

This may sound strange, but it occurred to me that Kate Winslet probably has the most famous boobs in the world.  I bet more people have seen her breasts than any other person on the planet.  Don't you think?

1 hour ago, CaughtOnTape said:

I guess I'm not one of those people who picks apart a movie to death.  I never cared that Jack wasn't on the door, it made sense to me that if he had gotten on as well it would have sank as was evidenced when he did try to get on and they both fell back into the water.  I don't care if Mythbusters did an experiment on it.  

The Mythbusters guys had plenty of time to think about the problem (while safe, warm, and dry) and still had to make multiple attempts before they finally figured out a way that they could both stay on the door.  By the time Jack and Rose had tried that many approaches, they'd both be dead.  

Besides, James Cameron said it didn't matter what the science of it was.  The story was written that there was not room for both of them to stay on the door without it sinking.  That's good enough for me. 

• Love 7

Well, I only saw the movie once back in 1998 and I remember it simply LOOKED like he could have stayed on the door. Which just added to the whole feeling of being emotionally manipulated for hours. Cheaply.

I did not like the movie. I left the theater feeling like I should take a shower. Overall, I was supposed to feel bad for those two with added scenes of people that did not receive a back story but were overall used for emotional impact. While, at the same time, I was chuckling at the nameless people sliding down when the ship broke. Overall, a huge mess for me.

34 minutes ago, rmontro said:

This may sound strange, but it occurred to me that Kate Winslet probably has the most famous boobs in the world.  I bet more people have seen her breasts than any other person on the planet.  Don't you think?

She did have amazing breasts. She was absolutely stunning in this movie. And yeah, I think the painting scene was the reason many a boyfriend agreed to watch the film over and over with their blubbering, sobbing girlfriends. lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

She did have amazing breasts. She was absolutely stunning in this movie. And yeah, I think the painting scene was the reason many a boyfriend agreed to watch the film over and over with their blubbering, sobbing girlfriends. lol

I'm always distracted by James Cameron's hands (which did the drawing) in that scene.  I always think "Ah, the old perv had to stick himself in that scene to get the best view, didn't he?".  Anyway, my point was I bet that Titanic is the most widely viewed movie with a semi-nude scene, wouldn't you think?

I'm sure many a man has rolled a tear at this film also.  Not because of Jack and Rose, but because of the Titanic tragedy itself.  It's really overwhelming.

(edited)
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was in fifth grade ) when it came out and my parents refused to let me watch it.  Everyone else in my school saw it except me, and I hated it, despite the warnings of people knowing how sensitive I was told me not to see it.

When I was finally old enough to watch it on TV, I was very very grateful that I hadn't seen it sooner.  The part with the frozen corpse of the mother and infant...I can't even think about that image today without wanting to throw up.

The 90s were a more innocent time, I guess, compared to everything kids are exposed to now, but I think fifth grade is way too young for Titanic on a variety of fronts!

4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Outside of porn, probably? A few years ago, it was reported that Kate Winslet was retiring from nude scenes (not sure if this is actually true), and I saw so many sad comments from guys who'd been 12-13 or so in 1997-98, saying hers were the first breasts they ever saw. Cameron really got away with that one, separating the nudity from the sex. Bare boobs in a love scene would have bumped it up to an R rating.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, CaughtOnTape said:

I never cared that Jack wasn't on the door, it made sense to me that if he had gotten on as well it would have sank as was evidenced when he did try to get on and they both fell back into the water.

I never cared either.  He fell off, they're both exhausted, cold and wet.  Maybe he thought he'd hang there for a few minutes and try again but then he froze.  I have a friend who complains that Rose has her shoes on though, LOL.

20th anniversary special coming in December to National Geographic

In the special, Cameron will bring together a team of the world's leading experts to look at the evolution of knowledge since he made the film two decades ago, including National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence Ballard, Parks Stephenson (historian, documentarian and explorer), Don Lynch (historian and author) and Ken Marschall (visual historian and world's foremost creator of Titanic artwork). The team will explore the accuracy of some of the movie's most memorable scenes and give viewers an unpdated interpretation as to what really caused the ship to sink on April 14, 1912.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Dejana said:

Outside of porn, probably? A few years ago, it was reported that Kate Winslet was retiring from nude scenes (not sure if this is actually true), and I saw so many sad comments from guys who'd been 12-13 or so in 1997-98, saying hers were the first breasts they ever saw. Cameron really got away with that one, separating the nudity from the sex. Bare boobs in a love scene would have bumped it up to an R rating.

I would think that a box office phenomenon like Titanic has been seen more times than any particular porn actress, especially when you consider all the extra views from DVD, Blue-Ray, and cable.  I could be wrong though, maybe I'm being naive.  Interesting point about separating the nudity from the love scene.

Speaking of the love scene, I've always wondered this:  Is the car that they made love in the same car that Rose arrived in?  Maybe someone with a better eye for detail than I have would have noticed.

It makes sense that she would defile Cal's car.  It's kind of icky if you think it was a stranger's.

2 hours ago, rmontro said:

I would think that a box office phenomenon like Titanic has been seen more times than any particular porn actress, especially when you consider all the extra views from DVD, Blue-Ray, and cable.  I could be wrong though, maybe I'm being naive.  Interesting point about separating the nudity from the love scene.

Speaking of the love scene, I've always wondered this:  Is the car that they made love in the same car that Rose arrived in?  Maybe someone with a better eye for detail than I have would have noticed.

It makes sense that she would defile Cal's car.  It's kind of icky if you think it was a stranger's.

I've always thought it was the new car being loaded onto the ship when it's still in port. 

• Love 3

It was a strangers car.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2012/04/13/car-that-went-down-with-titanic.html

The 1912 Renault Type CB Coupe de Ville, painstakingly recreated for the film, was purchased in Europe by William Carter of Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, who was travelling with it and his family. It’s presence on Titanic confirmed as well as it can be by an entry on the ship’s cargo manifest, as well as a $5,000 claim made on it with the Lloyd’s of London insurance company after the disaster, which Carter and his wife and two children survived.

• Love 2
On 8/1/2017 at 4:22 PM, rmontro said:

I'm sure many a man has rolled a tear at this film also.  Not because of Jack and Rose, but because of the Titanic tragedy itself.  It's really overwhelming.

My husband.  He is not a crier, but this movie broke him.  The part where Rose is calling for the boat to come back with a frozen voice box was what got him.

• Love 2
On 8/1/2017 at 9:30 PM, Dejana said:

A few years ago, it was reported that Kate Winslet was retiring from nude scenes (not sure if this is actually true), and I saw so many sad comments from guys who'd been 12-13 or so in 1997-98, saying hers were the first breasts they ever saw

For awhile there, it seemed like she was nude or topless in nearly every movie she was in.  Not that I'm complaining, mind you  :)

• Love 1

I saw this movie because I was living in San Diego while Titanic was being filmed in Rosarito Beach (at the time, that's where everyone went on spring break because the drinking age was 18). There was a lot of press about it so even though it was across the border, a lot of people felt like it was a local movie. Mr. EB was convinced that it was going to be a terrible movie so he had already come up with a bunch of newspaper headlines that he predicted would be used when the movie came out and bombed. When it finally came out in theaters, he agreed to see it with me, mostly because of Leo's performance in previous movies.

Fresh Off the Boat (which is set in the 90s) just did an episode this week where one of the plots was about two of the characters going to see Titanic. It made me nostalgic enough to do a little googling and I found this interview from a few years ago with three of the locals who were hired as extras. There's nothing totally earth shattering in it (James Cameron yelled at people, Billy Zane had a lot of parties at his house, Leo didn't want to pay his bar tab) but I always like hearing behind the scenes stuff.

• Love 1

I was an obsessed reader of Titanic literature from the time I read "A Night to Remember" when I was ten. So I love this movie, mostly because Cameron showed the sinking in almost real time. And he got 99.9 % of it right.

Ahh Rose wasn't in a nightie. She was in her lovely tri-color chiffon party dress, so of course she would have shoes on. 

This film also has the most dangerous, almost impossible location shoot in the history of film, two and a half miles under the surface of the ocean. AWESOME!!!!!

I always figured Rose sold a few of the diamonds off the strand that held the Heart of the Ocean to get herself established, but yeah Cal stuffed some money in those pockets too. Her mother probably got an insurance claim from the White Star Line.

Just before the sinking Jack and Rose nod to the Baker who was in real life the last person off the Titanic that night. So drunk he survived in the water for a long time before being pulled into a lifeboat. He said as it went down, he stepped off the ship and never got his head wet.

Cameron's films always have strong willed women. His women are survivors.

So despite all the "ROSE!!!" "JACK!!!" calling out, I still love this film.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

The "Unspooled" podcast with critic Amy Nicholson and comedian Paul Scheer discusses the AFI "Top 100" list from 2007. The latest episode is on #83 Titanic, one of Amy's favorite movies. At the 42 minute mark Danny Nucci, who played "Fabrizio" comes on as to talk about the making of the film and he reveals how his character was originally going to die in the movie. Hint: It involves Cal being an even bigger bastard! Here's the link:
https://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1