Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

I think it's the allure that they have children who have never left the path. That's powerful in Fundy circles. Both the Jackson's and the Seewalds are dealing with their first oldest child (who is likely to most keep to tradition) with several young children behind. The Duggars have a track record now of quite a few children staying on the strict path. That's a big lure. Bigger even than when they just started out and were only a large religious family. There have always been plenty of those.

Edited by GEML

Her tome is far better than Growing Up Duggar, but yeah, she won't see much money from it. Maybe she and Si can write a book together. His name on it would move copies. Still not a lot of money, but better than working for Jim Bob. Which will probably happen anyway.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2

Is Josiah now calling himself Si? I don't mind except it reminds me of that old guy from the Duck Dynasty clan.

I am wondering if this family is one that the Duggars somehow recruited into their church. Seeing that babysitting clip, it appears that the families have been acquainted for at least 6 years. So I can't see how Jim Bob would not be pleased about with a courtship involving a family that they've known for years. It's no different that one of their kids being involved with somebody from the Bates family. Also, it would be nice if this couple decided to set their own courtship rules, not follow what Jim Bob and Michelle demand of them. It's getting really ridiculous with the side hugs, first kiss on their wedding day, etc. I can't imagine all remaining 15 kids at home are going to put up with this nonsense. This might be the real reason that Jana and John David aren't courting, they simply are not interested in Jim Bob's dog and pony show and putting something so personal as their relationship with their future spouse on screen isn't something they're comfortable doing. Jana might run off and get married when she's 40 and all the other kids have left home. 

• Love 2

Early days yet, and I suppose we should wait and see if this courtship even does actually end with a wedding, but I think of all the older Duggar kids Josiah is the one most likely to have a reasonably sized family.  He was visibly upset when Michelle announced she was pregnant with #20.  I can't imagine him putting his wife through a ridiculous number of pregnancies.

On board with the metrosexual speculation. He is much more stylish and well-groomed than any of his brothers.  He seems much more sensitive, caring and intelligent than many of his brothers (JD Slingblade comes to mind).  I can only imagine how the poor kid felt growing up in that disgusting boy's dorm.  It looks filthy, no sheets on the bed, the drywall is totally trashed, and I would venture to say that it probably reeks  I remember a few years ago there was some speculation that some of the howlers had bed-wetting issues.  A few eagle-eyed people spotted some heavy-duty fans in the room. Add the sheer number of young males who probably don't shower every single day and you have a recipe for a really foul-smelling room.  Who knows?  Sleeping in a tent at ALERT may have actually been a relief.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 5

Her tome is far better than Growing Up Duggar, but yeah, she won't see much money from it. Maybe she and Si can write a book together. His name on it would move copies. Still not a lot of money, but better than working for Jim Bob. Which will probably happen anyway.

I haven't even looked at any of the Duggar books online. Now I'm curious. Are they that poorly-done? Mostly photos like one of Kate G's books? Poor content, poor language? We don't see a lot of "this is Michelle and I's first house..." do we? LOL. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

Speaking of books, I'm betting the budget from the older girls' wedding and maybe honeymoon came from their book. It's not unreasonable to think they received $20-35K on a book like that. There would be taxes (a lot goes out in taxes, as Josh and Anna might be learning) and there might have been an agent, speaker fees, etc. But even split 4 ways, that left a decent chunk for each daughter.

Are they that poorly-done?

YES, to all your criteria. I've only read the latest one.They had a ghostwriter they could've used more. I'm sure it was based on dictated interview questions. here's a clip:

We Duggar girls choose to wear our hair rather long, but we could wear shorter styles if we wanted to. Our hairstyle is our choice, and we choose longer hair based on our understanding of 1 Corinthians 11:14–15. It says that even nature itself teaches us that, while it is a shame for a man to have long hair, a woman’s hair is her glory. We figure, if God says our hair is our “glory,” then He must have considered it a gift to us, and we want to take care of it and put a little effort each day into styling it.

(I guess Sampson's long hair was...against God?)

Oh well. It was a nice, sunshiny day, and I decided to do some work in the flower beds, something I enjoy.

A few hours later, I came back inside and couldn’t believe what I saw in the mirror! Everyone else was surprised, too. My twin brother, John-David, said, “Wow, Jana! Did you dye your hair orange?”

When Dad saw it and I explained what I’d done, he said, “Oh, Jana, peroxide isn’t something to mess around with. I wish you had talked to Mom about it first!”

By that time, I was wishing the same thing! I told Dad, “I didn’t think it would bleach my hair this much.”

It was hard living with the prolonged consequences of my spur-of-the-minute decision. Then, as my hair began to grow out, it was no longer just orange but two-toned orange and brown. I was so embarrassed by it that, once again, I acted impulsively. I went to a beauty supply store and asked the salesclerk what she recommended. She suggested I cover up the problem by using a slightly darker shade of hair color than my natural shade.

Anyway, Marjorie's writing is quite good for a 17 year old. Once she passes out of the know-it-all-about-how-to-live phase she could go far. Or not. Derrick has my hopes in the bottom of the barrel.

I don't want to infantilize her, but does anyone else love the name Margie? I do.

• Love 2

I don't think Josiah is necessarily gay just because he doesn't act like your typical macho man, but he's more along the lines of someone like Lenny Kravitz, metrosexual while still being attracted to women. My nephew is in the same boat with the feminine mannerisms, but in his case, it's more of a result of my SIL, who wears the pants in that family, insisting that he take ballet and guitar lessons, despite the obvious signs that my nephew would rather be running around in the park and pounding away on a set of drums. And from what I see of Marjorie, her family reminds me of how my one Christian cousin is like, religious without being in Duggar/Gothard territory. About the only fundie things my cousin and her husband embrace are reading only religious literature, homeschooling (albeit with a more academically sound curriculum than ATI), limited TV time, and no dancing, alcohol, or tattoos. Other than that, she has a degree in nutrition (from an actual accredited university where you have to pass the entrance exam to get in), worked full time as a college professor until she gave birth, wears pants, and is still friends with the same group of girls she hung out with prior to her conversion to Christianity.

• Love 1

I too like Josiah. My memory is he was less prank happy than his brothers. He seems to dislike his father's mean spirited humors. 

I don't know if he's gay or not. I do think part of his clothes and what not could be an attempt to differentiate between himself and his brothers. I would imagine with boys so close together and so many of 'em finding ways to be unique could be important. Rather than being another Josh or JD or Joseph etc., he wants to be himself. 

It's also a generational thing. In the '80s and '90s (etc.) everyone was trying harder to fit gender roles. Josh, who is around my age, is old enough to be a part of that. People I know born in the mid-90s forward around Josiah's age are way less obsessed with is this a boy thing? versus people I know born in the seventies and eighties, who are way more traditional. 

I can't blame him for wanting to be called Si. It shows his intelligence that he has been able to find a distinguishable nickname when his name is the most themed or blended in of the group. He can't be by Joe because of Joseph and Josie. --Iah makes him sound like one of the twins. 

Statistically speaking it's unlikely none of the Duggars are gay and unlikely none will ever divorce. I hope things go well for these two. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I agree that Josiah seems metrosexual rather than gay - Joseph and a few of the younger Duggar boys have taken to wearing color as well. I haven't seen anything that blatantly shows that he is in any way gay other than he has shown himself to be a sensitive and caring young man who was used as the family's mouth piece pre-puberty.

F gender norms and the assertion that because someone likes to dress a certain way or likes certain things they must be gay. If any of the Duggar kids are gay I truly hope that they are able to find a supportive base. I seems like it is difficult enough to come out in mainstream society without being in the Gothard mindset or being in the public eye.

I don't think it's  a beard situation only because Josiah hasn't really been a Duggar in the public eye and there was little focus on him starting to court other than maybe he and Tori Bates would get together. Maybe there was internal pressure but it hasn't been shown in a public setting.  Really the pressure is on Jana and John-David. His news actually has brought more attention to the fact those two haven't started courting yet.  

I'm hoping that since the Duggars have had regular contact with the Jacksons and seem to be friends that they can be respectful of Ana Lucia's heritage. There is hope for the younger ones since they've grown up learning Spanish, or at least had a few lessons.

Edited by Lilytiger
  • Love 4

YES, to all your criteria. I've only read the latest one.They had a ghostwriter they could've used more. I'm sure it was based on dictated interview questions. here's a clip:

(I guess Sampson's long hair was...against God?)

Anyway, Marjorie's writing is quite good for a 17 year old. Once she passes out of the know-it-all-about-how-to-live phase she could go far. Or not. Derrick has my hopes in the bottom of the barrel.

I don't want to infantilize her, but does anyone else love the name Margie? I do.

Thanks for the clips, JoanArc. I'm surprised Boob popped for a ghostwriter. I wonder if the publisher insisted, or maybe even paid for it. I don't know details on how those things work, but would imagine the initial expense of getting the book written would have to be on Boob's dime. Hoping their "ghostwriter" was another Gothard fundie - it would explain why he/she can't write either. I firmly believe that in order to be a good writer, you HAVE to be a voracious reader - and ole Bill isn't too keen on inquiring young minds.

Several of the Duggar girls came out with Growing Up Duggar a few years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the book had been ghost-written.

The book was ghost written. The ghost writer was mentioned on the cover.

We can't speculate about the sexual orientation of children. It's in the rules.

Isn't he 18?

At any rate, Josiah is likable until he starts using instagram and twitter to say stupid, insulting things like Benessa do. I hope he is different and not so self-righteous.

• Love 6

Thanks for the clips, JoanArc. I'm surprised Boob popped for a ghostwriter. I wonder if the publisher insisted, or maybe even paid for it. I don't know details on how those things work, but would imagine the initial expense of getting the book written would have to be on Boob's dime. Hoping their "ghostwriter" was another Gothard fundie - it would explain why he/she can't write either. I firmly believe that in order to be a good writer, you HAVE to be a voracious reader - and ole Bill isn't too keen on inquiring young minds.

Authors get an "advance," which is meant to cover the costs incurred in writing the book. Usually the first half is paid on signing and the second half on manuscript delivery.

• Love 1
At any rate, Josiah is likable until he starts using instagram and twitter to say stupid, insulting things like Benessa do. I hope he is different and not so self-righteous.

Believe it or not, there was a time when I didn't think that Josh qualified as Smuggar, either. Either I used to be high or he changed drastically.

Josiah is likable now, but that could be because he hasn't been on social media before. I've always said that the invention of Twitter was a PR agency's worst nightmare. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

Speaking of books, I'm betting the budget from the older girls' wedding and maybe honeymoon came from their book. It's not unreasonable to think they received $20-35K on a book like that. There would be taxes (a lot goes out in taxes, as Josh and Anna might be learning) and there might have been an agent, speaker fees, etc. But even split 4 ways, that left a decent chunk for each daughter.

True enough. Totally forgot about the "relationship advice" book from 4 girls who'd never been in a relationship. Hopefully they each got a nice chunk from that, and free from Boob's control. Of course if the girls did make money, Boob will have the rest of the kids writing books in the future too.

Um, not to be too picky, but the 80's were very much about twisting gender rules. Boy George, Annie Lennox, David Bowie?

My son is Josiah's age and in theatre. I've seen it all from flamboyant straight kids to straight laced gay kids.

I don't think the Jackson's are part of the Church of Jim Bob. They do too many things "just a little but differently." There would be real pressure brought to bear on them, I think, to conform more, especially about bringing a daughter more in line with standards of "modesty" which aren't all about clothes. With her book and speaking engagements, she actually direct competition for the Duggar girls in their circles. If they were that firmly under Jim Bob's thumb, he'd have smushed them.

• Love 2

Um, not to be too picky, but the 80's were very much about twisting gender rules. Boy George, Annie Lennox, David Bowie?

My son is Josiah's age and in theatre. I've seen it all from flamboyant straight kids to straight laced gay kids.

I don't think the Jackson's are part of the Church of Jim Bob. They do too many things "just a little but differently." There would be real pressure brought to bear on them, I think, to conform more, especially about bringing a daughter more in line with standards of "modesty" which aren't all about clothes. With her book and speaking engagements, she actually direct competition for the Duggar girls in their circles. If they were that firmly under Jim Bob's thumb, he'd have smushed them.

Ohhh good point

Marjories next book should be called " To Love a Duggar". I would buy it

They take the proceeds, move to a nice town in TN, go to college and only see Boob on Christmas

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 1

I think Josiah is a different animal then the rest of his brothers. I think he is sweet and kind just like Jana and always thinks of others and puts them first. I don't think he got that gene from MEchelle or Boob. 

• Love 3

Ohhh good point

Marjories next book should be called " To Love a Duggar". I would buy it

They take the proceeds, move to a nice town in TN, go to college and only see Boob on Christmas

Or a couple of days before or after Christmas. I know it's silly, but one of the things that breaks my heart most about the Duggars was their anti-Santa policy. It's such a little thing in the grand scheme of things, but it's just another thing that they wouldn't let their kids have, because God forbid they let their children be excited about something not directly related to religion. I always hoped that the grown kids would let their kids have Santa Claus.

I think Josiah is a different animal then the rest of his brothers. I think he is sweet and kind just like Jana and always thinks of others and puts them first. I don't think he got that gene from MEchelle or Boob.

Do we know who his buddy is/was? Did he even have one, or was he too old? I felt like it was Jana, which would make even more sense, given how he turned out.

• Love 2

I do hope the posters here, including me, are not disappointed again.  From the looks of marge's dress, I fear we may be.  Her dad is a graphic artist, but then again the dad in the Rodriguez clan is a printer.  From the looks of the Jackson house, I would say he does much more than fundy graphics for fundy families.  I hope they know how to laugh and know the power of irony and Si learns the power of joy not directly related to Jesus.

• Love 1

I think this is a good Match for Josiah.Dating a person from a background that values education will hopefully encourage him to follow his dreams- whatever they are. Also- He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would want to lord over his wife and force her to pump out kid after kid, 

What a miserable existence.

And seeing that she didn't grow up in chaos or raising a ton of her siblings, she KNOWS what a "normal" childhood  should look like Providing she doesn't have a narcissistic personality and pregnancy addiction like Michelle, I think she will put the brakes on and not feel conflicted about it.

Its a good sign she only have 4 other siblings, even if they got a late start

Doesn't that mean that they'd have use birth control?  I thought that they must adhere to what they were taught by their parents and practice their beliefs as Quiverfull's.  Please correct me because I'm not sure of what really happens.

I know everyone is on the Josiah bandwagon right now, but does no one remember him as a pre teen? He was one of the key interviewees for the THs -- going on and on about how his family does everything different and better than every other family in the world. He was quite obnoxious. He has toned down a bit, probably because as he got older he didn't really fit in with the other boys in the family -- maybe it's lack of interests in cars or mechanical things like Josh or JD, maybe it's just being more sensitive, maybe it's his liking for pink shirts and bow ties -- so he started keeping his mouth shut a bit more and now everyone thinks he's likeable bc he was seen hugging Ben and crying re another pregnancy.

This could be his ultimate way of "fitting in" with his family -- find a girl, put a ring on it in 6 months, and make a baby. Suddenly he gets to have social media accounts. I bet he's suddenly getting invited to dinner with Jill, Josh, and Jessa and their spouses -- and they likely ignored him before he was "important" enough to court.

• Love 2

I know everyone is on the Josiah bandwagon right now, but does no one remember him as a pre teen? He was one of the key interviewees for the THs -- going on and on about how his family does everything different and better than every other family in the world. He was quite obnoxious. 

I remember him as a preteen, and it was those interviews that led me to view him as articulate and intelligent (at least relative to the rest of the family). I did not find him obnoxious.

• Love 2

Marjorie seems like a lovely young lady.  Given that she is now courting a Fundie royalty, I am not saying that she should look like Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, but she could have dressed a little better. The dress looks cheap and her shoes are hideous.  She reminds me of Anna before the move to DC. 

Thank you, thank you.  I thought I was the only one seeing that hideous dress and shoes.  Also, I'm sorry, but she looks about 30.

Masiah sounds a little disrespectful. Mar (marjorie) iah (joshia) mariah sounds better to me.

What's disrespectful about it?

• Love 3

I think of him as a younger Josh in many ways, without the older bossiness. (I'm the oldest, so I have a fondness for Josh that others may not.) I think he is able to see how his family appears in ways others in his family (including his parents) do not, and I think Josish cares about that. This doesn't mean that he wants to rebel against everything he's been taught or believes, just that he doesn't feel the need to express those beliefs in the same way. That's actually quite a bit of rebellion, but I'm not sure he realizes that. :)

Edited by GEML

I feel for her. No 17 year old kid should have the kind of negative feedback she's about to get. That's a tough age to be put in a position where you will be judged for everything you do and there will be no way to do anything right in the opinion of those judging. I know people will say she's asking for it because she's courting a Duggar but we have no real reason to think she's interested in him because he's famous or a Duggar or that she's a fame monger. 

BTW - GEML - I meant to comment earlier. I am super jealous of you getting to live in Texas. I'd love to live there someday but I don't see it happening. *sigh*

Don't be jealous, Texas isn't a great place to live.  Politics wise it sucks, then there are the red wasps and the scorpions.

• Love 3

Doesn't that mean that they'd have use birth control?  I thought that they must adhere to what they were taught by their parents and practice their beliefs as Quiverfull's.  Please correct me because I'm not sure of what really happens.

No, it doesn't necessarily. My goddaughter is the 5th child in an obedient Roman Catholic family. They left their number of children up to God and had two right away, then 3 more in 3 years starting 12 years later. The eldest child was one of my best friends, we were both 15 at the time.

• Love 1
I know everyone is on the Josiah bandwagon right now, but does no one remember him as a pre teen? He was one of the key interviewees for the THs -- going on and on about how his family does everything different and better than every other family in the world. He was quite obnoxious.

Yeah, but to be fair, all middle-schoolers are obnoxious. It's in their DNA. They're sub-human. Let's be honest, it's why most of the US segregates middle-schoolers from the general population. ;)

People talk about how high school is the worst. No. No. Middle school is the worst. You couldn't pay me to teach middle school.

Don't be jealous, Texas isn't a great place to live.  Politics wise it sucks, then there are the red wasps and the scorpions.

I have a friend who works on political campaigns and was looking for a new job after last year's November elections were over. She ruled out the South after working in North Carolina, I don't think she was thrilled with the hotbed of conservatism. I tried to make a case for Texas - hey, it's more the Southwest, right?? - because I've always wanted to visit and her career decisions should obviously be made with that in mind, but she gave a flat no. She's so selfish. :(

I'll try to convince her to go to Arkansas. Maybe she'll run into the Duggars. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 10

TN is too close! Besides, Jim bob is the type that comes after you, if you you don't come after him. They need witness protection program style changes to keep the Duggars at bay.

Also, I'm sorry, but she looks about 30.

I thought she looks older than her years, but not 30. Courtship may give them both a youthful glow.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2

No, it doesn't necessarily. My goddaughter is the 5th child in an obedient Roman Catholic family. They left their number of children up to God and had two right away, then 3 more in 3 years starting 12 years later. The eldest child was one of my best friends, we were both 15 at the time.

The RC Church actively teaches Natural Family planning.   Although not certain, when done right it can prevent most chance of pregnancy without tampering with God's will through barrier or hormonal methods.

The Duggars actively teach breeding like rabbits.  It's a totally different plan.  So if they are part of the Quiverful movement, they won't be using NFP (which is birth control).

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 1

I knew quiverful who didn't breed like rabbits. You figure Ben's family is quiverful, as is Anna's and the children are better spaced. Not everyone is like the Duggars.

But given the college education, the nice house, and the confidence of the girls (even in the clips shown) I'm thinking fairly recent convert to the deeply religious side.

(Oh OMG - Texas' red wasps!!!)

Edited by GEML
  • Love 2

The RC Church actively teaches Natural Family planning.

Yes, they do, though I'm not certain they were doing so 35 years ago. Regardless, they weren't actively planning anything, just doing what nature intended and letting the chips fall where they may. Not all couples are as fertile as the Duggars, nor do they put in the effort the Duggars seem to put in to timing their "activity" so as to promote a pregnancy.

But given the college education, the nice house, and the confidence of the girls (even in the clips shown) I'm thinking fairly recent convert to the deeply religious side.

It's a small thing, but The Jacksons do have a nice, homey house. As opposed to the Duggar orphanage and reality tv studio. I hope Josiah sees how much nicer a smaller family can be.

• Love 4

I know everyone is on the Josiah bandwagon right now, but does no one remember him as a pre teen? He was one of the key interviewees for the THs -- going on and on about how his family does everything different and better than every other family in the world. He was quite obnoxious. He has toned down a bit, probably because as he got older he didn't really fit in with the other boys in the family -- maybe it's lack of interests in cars or mechanical things like Josh or JD, maybe it's just being more sensitive, maybe it's his liking for pink shirts and bow ties -- so he started keeping his mouth shut a bit more and now everyone thinks he's likeable bc he was seen hugging Ben and crying re another pregnancy.

This could be his ultimate way of "fitting in" with his family -- find a girl, put a ring on it in 6 months, and make a baby. Suddenly he gets to have social media accounts. I bet he's suddenly getting invited to dinner with Jill, Josh, and Jessa and their spouses -- and they likely ignored him before he was "important" enough to court.

Josiah reminds me a lot of myself as a kid. My parents are far from fundy (we wear pants, watch tv, I'm only one of three, I went to Catholic school) but they raised me to be the ultimate good girl. Until I was 18, I was only ever around very like-minded people that made me think that my parents' religion and politics must be correct, because everyone agreed. Now, at a wise and worldly 23, I respect my parents' views, but I've also learned to think for myself. I was taught to view the world in black and white, and it wasn't until I was older that I discovered there were many shades of grey. I think Josiah was always an outgoing kid, who probably got a kick out of camera people following him around. They seemed to like it when he would parrot the things his parents said, and it got him attention. I'm sure he believed every word he was saying, because it was all he knew. But as kids grow up, they start asking questions and Josiah seems smart and inquisitive enough to want answers. When the only answers he gets come from being sent away to ALERT for a year, that could be enough to sour him on some things.

• Love 2

I too like Josiah. My memory is he was less prank happy than his brothers.

Um, wasn't he the one who pretended to drop the baby (Jordyn?) who was really a doll and freaked out the cameraman?

I admit I'm curious. We haven't seen/ heard much from Josiah in a long time... did he really upchuck the Kool-aid, or will he go back to being Smugger, Jr., now that he has Dugger family status again?

We can't speculate about the sexual orientation of children. It's in the rules.

He's 18 and put his relationship/"courtship" into a People magazine spread.  Fair game.

Marjories next book should be called " To Love a Duggar". I would buy it

I'd buy it only if it were written after the failed courtship and she spilled all the Duggar pickle juice.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 7

Josiah asked his future father in law for an apprenticeship. Maybe there's hope that he has a career plan/is developing a career plan that will involve some education, or at least some certifications along with experience working for something besides Duggar Holdings.

• Love 2