Type keyword(s) to search

Heart Eyes: Actors, Characters, And TV Personalities You Love

• Start Topic

I was working at Encyclopaedia Britannica when James Garner died and updated his death section when he passed. Before reading about him, other than being an actor, I did not know much about him. I fell in love with him after. Yes, I thought he was a good actor who was kind on the eyes, especially in his younger years. I learned he was a very outspoken human rights activist after reading his EB article in full. That made him even more good looking to me. 

• Like 5
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I was working at Encyclopaedia Britannica when James Garner died and updated his death section when he passed. Before reading about him, other than being an actor, I did not know much about him. I fell in love with him after. Yes, I thought he was a good actor who was kind on the eyes, especially in his younger years. I learned he was a very outspoken human rights activist after reading his EB article in full. That made him even more good looking to me. 

Yes! Also in interviews, he seemed to have a marvelously self-deprecating sense of humor that I find appealing. 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

Far more important than a “gym body,” imho. 

Oh for sure! Wasn't he also absolutely crazy about his wife? She was a beautiful person as well, but the way so many men are, especially good-looking men, and especially men in Hollywood, I also appreciate that he wasn't a womanizer. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Wasn't he also absolutely crazy about his wife?

Not his first wife, apparently, since he cheated on her (while she was pregnant with their third child) with Joanne Woodward.  About Woodward, yes, they were famously passionate -- good and bad; with the fucking came the fighting -- and devoted to the marriage.  There was a possible affair on his part with a journalist; it's not clear from the various conflicting statements that are out there whether that's true. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Not his first wife, apparently, since he cheated on her (while she was pregnant with their third child) with Joanne Woodward.  About Woodward, yes, they were famously passionate -- good and bad; with the fucking came the fighting -- and devoted to the marriage.  There was a possible affair on his part with a journalist; it's not clear from the various conflicting statements that are out there whether that's true. 

Oh gosh, I never knew any of that. 

17 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh gosh, I never knew any of that. 

No surprise -- because back then men, especially famous men, having affairs was regarded as inevitable like the sun rising in the East, so there had to be a shit ton of them, or a really messy one, before it became anything beyond an open secret within the industry. 

With only the one ever alleged, as far as I know, and that he made that gross comparison between hamburger and steak the public inexplicably lapped up (although, reportedly, Woodward was not enamored by the piece of meat imagery) about not stepping out, when their marriage endured into old age he got a reputation as the best husband in Hollywood.  Notice there was no similar fawning over her as the industry's greatest wife.  That's how low the bar is for men.  He does seem to have been a good husband (again, to his second wife, not as much his first), but worthy of the idolatry?

• Like 9
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No surprise -- because back then men, especially famous men, having affairs was regarded as inevitable like the sun rising in the East, so there had to be a shit ton of them, or a really messy one, before it became anything beyond an open secret within the industry. 

With only the one ever alleged, as far as I know, and that he made that gross comparison between hamburger and steak the public inexplicably lapped up (although, reportedly, Woodward was not enamored by the piece of meat imagery) about not stepping out, when their marriage endured into old age he got a reputation as the best husband in Hollywood.  Notice there was no similar fawning over her as the industry's greatest wife.  That's how low the bar is for men.  He does seem to have been a good husband (again, to his second wife, not as much his first), but worthy of the idolatry?

Thanks for explaining all the history to me. I think I understand Mr. Newman a whole lot better now. 

Not to get too OT, probably more for the feminism thread, but that's actually pet peeve of mine. Men basically have to just not kill, rape, abuse, and just take care of their own kids to be seen as good, decent people. Women on the other hand have to be bubbly, perfectly behaved and never say a bad word about anyone. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I absolutely adore Newman but it has always been baffling how many forget or don’t know that he cheated on his first wife with his second wife. I was born in ‘75, so I came to my fawning over Newman late in the game, but I heard about that almost as early as I heard of Newman.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
20 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Paul Newman's eyes were breathtaking. Gorgeous face, and also body! Wasn't he one of the few actors of the time who had somewhat of a gym body before it was even a thing?

I saw him at JFK airport years ago and his eyes were so blue and beautiful. First thing you notice.

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I absolutely adore Newman but it has always been baffling how many forget or don’t know that he cheated on his first wife with his second wife.

Until the movie came out, I think a lot of people believed Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" was about June Carter Cash, when it was actually about his first wife -- on whom he wound up cheating with June.

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Until the movie came out, I think a lot of people believed Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line" was about June Carter Cash, when it was actually about his first wife -- on whom he wound up cheating with June.

I didn't see the movie, so this is honestly the first I'm hearing of this! I knew he was married before June, but I didn't know that the song was about his first wife. 

• Like 4

I like Johnny Cash well enough (love a lot of his songs and his Columbo episode is a favorite of mine), and I don't doubt he was madly in love with June, but the way he treated his first wife was pretty awful. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I like Johnny Cash well enough (love a lot of his songs and his Columbo episode is a favorite of mine), and I don't doubt he was madly in love with June, but the way he treated his first wife was pretty awful. 

Mr. Cash was very talented and did a great deal of philanthropy.

However,  their mutual son (John Carter Cash) has gone on record as saying that Johnny adored and was a true husband to June- as long as he was sober. Alas, there were times he fell off the sobriety and fidelity wagons during their vaunted union (and June  understood him exactly).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Mr. Cash was very talented and did a great deal of philanthropy.

However,  their mutual son (John Carter Cash) has gone on record as saying that Johnny adored and was a true husband to June- as long as he was sober. Alas, there were times he fell off the sobriety and fidelity wagons during their vaunted union (and June  understood him exactly).

That doesn't surprise me. Roseanne Cash has also talked a lot about what a complicated parent he was. 

Incidentally my dad got to meet Johnny Cash about 30 years ago. He was just hanging out in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas and was apparently super friendly and talkative. LOL

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Zella said:

Incidentally my dad got to meet Johnny Cash about 30 years ago. He was just hanging out in the middle of nowhere in Arkansas and was apparently super friendly and talkative. LOL

I get to tell pretty much my only interesting celebrity story!

Years and years and years ago I worked a beer tent at a famous midwest musical festival.  A sort of wink and a nod perk was that when your shift ended you could pretty much leave with as many cups of the house beer that you could carry.  My friends would agree to meet me at the closest music tent and I would disperse all the beer.  With some help loading me up I had a system where I could carry 10 beers (ah, youth).  Johnny and June were performing throughout the festival and on my way to meet my friends the whole entourage sort of cut me off (no beer was sacrificed).  Johnny was all in black wearing incredibly dark wayfarers and just sort of stared at me with my 10 beers and I looked back incredibly sheepish.  A soft voice emerged out of all of these tall people asking, "Darling, those aren't all for you?", I looked over and stared into the incredible smiling blue eyes of June and said "No, ma'am."

She replied, "That's good, honey, take care of yourself.", and off she went with the whole entourage following her lead.  She had charisma for days.

• Like 8
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think it's probably a universal truth that great artists don't always make the best partners or parents.

Agreed. I used to date a guy who was a musician. He was very creative and he wasn't a bad person or even particularly outrageous by the standards of notorious artists, but he was . . . a lot and I got tired of it. LOL 

It was interesting to me that in many ways Roseanne Cash blamed a lot of his issues on his drug addiction and a lot of his addiction issues on his touring schedule. And I'm sure that played a role, but I also wondered if there were other issues at play concerning that. His older brother was killed in a really horrific workplace accident when he was about 12, and he often talked about how much guilt and pain he had from that. I don't think it's a stretch to think that some of his addiction issues were also due to self-medicating. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 8
1 minute ago, Zella said:

His older brother was killed in a really horrific workplace accident when he was about 12, and he often talked about how much guilt and pain he had from that.

Apparently Johnny's father blamed him for the brother's death and treated him appallingly.  So yeah, it's highly likely that his childhood trauma had a lot of effect on his addiction issues.

• Sad 8

On another note, one of my fave performing couples of all time William Daniels and Bonnie Bartlett (born 1927 and 1929- respectively)  have been wed over 71 years. However, yet each of their autobios in recent years admitted that between his then-unresolved anger over his childhood,etc. and each of them. ..stepping out in the first part of their marriage, it amazed him that it survived the first ten years. Mr. Daniels has recently said it's as though they have had three different marriages- the early rocky years, the middle years raising their children and ,in their twilight years, a sincere, supportive bond with each of them loving and caring for each other for who they are!

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

On another note, one of my fave performing couples of all time William Daniels and Bonnie Bartlett (born 1927 and 1929- respectively)  have been wed over 71 years. However, yet each of their autobios in recent years admitted that between his then-unresolved anger over his childhood,etc. and each of them. ..stepping out in the first part of their marriage, it amazed him that it survived the first ten years. Mr. Daniels has recently said it's as though they have had three different marriages- the early rocky years, the middle years raising their children and ,in their twilight years, a sincere, supportive bond with each of them loving and caring for each other for who they are!

I really like that part. 

• Like 5

Ke Huy Quan is such a delight. He deserved all the award wins. And as if his Oscar speech didn’t make me emotional enough, the way he was the first to run up the stage when EEAAO won Best Picture and hugged his old friend Dr. Jones Harrison Ford sent me over the edge.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 12
  • Love 3

I have loved Melanie Lynskey ever since I saw her in "Ever After". She is such a good actress. I was extremely annoyed when Adrianne Curry was attempting to body shame her/her character in "The Last of Us".

• Like 10
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, badhaggis said:

I have loved Melanie Lynskey ever since I saw her in "Ever After". She is such a good actress. I was extremely annoyed when Adrianne Curry was attempting to body shame her/her character in "The Last of Us".

Same here. She was so incredible in Ever After and in so many things since then. 

• Like 10
14 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Same here. She was so incredible in Ever After and in so many things since then. 

And before. I fell in love with her when I saw Heavenly Creatures. She was just so good. I am so happy she is getting so much recognition now. It is well deserved. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
On 4/9/2023 at 3:10 PM, kiddo82 said:

Anthony Stewart Head is even foxier now than he was in 1999.  Yowzers.  And I kind of like him playing a smarmy ass on Ted Lasso.  

OK, I was never interested even a little bit in watching Ted Lasso and now I have to debate whether to watch it for him. 😏

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

My family has been doing a Cheers rewatch (well, rewatch for me and Hubby, first-time for kid) and I’m continually reminded of how awesome the cast and characters were.

I want to give a special shout-out, though, to Shelley Long. I grew up on the jokes about her and it wasn’t until adulthood that I finally saw the early years of Cheers. Got to say, I love her. Diane can be annoying and I can see how Shelley could have driven everyone nuts, but she played the part so well and added so many layers — she really was amazing in that part.

And there’s a good reason she and Ted Danson are the gold standard for romantic chemistry.🔥

• Like 15
(edited)

I hope nobody bursts my bubble by tellng me about something horrible or shady she's said or done, because I have always loved Jami Gertz. I don't think I became too aware of her until Twister, but I'm always happy to see her pop up somewhere. She's too cute and I love her voice. I thought her sitcom Still Standing was really funny and underrated. I also recently found out she and her husband own my hometown NBA team the Atlanta Hawks, which makes me happy for some reason.

And this may be an UO, but I adore Pete Davidson and wish him lots of success. I know he's young and a little immature, but I don't really think he's done or said anything (that I'm aware of) to warrant all the hate he gets, and I feel like a lot of people just dont like him because they think he looks dirty/like a crackhead, etc. and/or dates hot girls. I actually think he's really cute and is a pretty decent and funny actor. I feel for him and his struggles with mental health.

Though for true heart eyes, it's always been Billy Zane for me. Can't explain why, but I love him.

Not to mention two of my all time favorites: Steve Martin and Catherine O' Hara.

Edited by Giuseppe
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

I’ve been binging The Avengers on Pluto and I’m reminded again of how much I love Diana Rigg. Amazing actress with the best speaking voice ever. She was awesome in many things, but her Mrs. Peel was an icon. Classy. Cool in the face of (often ridiculous) danger. Smarter than anyone else in the room.

Is it too late for me to be her when I grow up?

• Like 5
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

I have always loved Jami Gertz. I don't think I became too aware of her until Twister, but I'm always happy to see her pop up somewhere. She's too cute and I love her voice.

She seems like she'd be fun to hang with. She also seems pretty normal/down to Earth, so I like to think she's not terrible. I tend to think the actors/performers who aren't necessarily "stars" or uber famous tend to be nicer than the big names. I remember her from a bunch of stuff from the 80s (cause I'm old yo!)

23 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Not to mention two of my all time favorites: Steve Martin and Catherine O' Hara.

You have excellent taste. 

19 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Is it too late for me to be her when I grow up?

I wanted to be Diana Rigg's Emma Peel so much when I was a kid. She was a total icon. I grew up in the 80s though, so her brand of sleek 60s chic wasn't exactly "in" and I was a bit too shy to show up to school in skintight black leather lol. (thinking about it, my other style icon was Julie Newmar's Catwoman. Maybe I should invest in some skintight black leather lol)

• Like 8
On 6/4/2023 at 7:07 PM, Giuseppe said:

I hope nobody bursts my bubble by tellng me about something horrible or shady she's said or done, because I have always loved Jami Gertz. I don't think I became too aware of her until Twister, but I'm always happy to see her pop up somewhere. She's too cute and I love her voice. I thought her sitcom Still Standing was really funny and underrated. I also recently found out she and her husband own my hometown NBA team the Atlanta Hawks, which makes me happy for some reason.

And this may be an UO, but I adore Pete Davidson and wish him lots of success. I know he's young and a little immature, but I don't really think he's done or said anything (that I'm aware of) to warrant all the hate he gets, and I feel like a lot of people just dont like him because they think he looks dirty/like a crackhead, etc. and/or dates hot girls. I actually think he's really cute and is a pretty decent and funny actor. I feel for him and his struggles with mental health.

Though for true heart eyes, it's always been Billy Zane for me. Can't explain why, but I love him.

I loved her since at least when The Lost Boys came out.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's hilarious! How could she lose? I'd vote for her even if it wasn't a Dolly Parton look-alike contest.

I agree but I guess it was a surface rather than a personality contest! Regardless, it's one of those tales  Miss Parton has  enjoyed telling on herself for a while!

• Like 3
(edited)

How have I gone this long barely aware of Hugh Jackman?  If I were a lot younger (and not married) I'd probably be putting a poster of him up on my bedroom wall right now.  

download (13).jpg

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 3
  • Love 6
On 7/28/2023 at 11:21 PM, Laura Holt said:

How have I gone this long barely aware of Hugh Jackman?  If I were a lot younger (and not married) I'd probably be putting a poster of him up on my bedroom wall right now.  

download (13).jpg

Oh yes. Personally, my “oh my!” moment with him was when I saw the video of the London production of Oklahoma — which he did right before he became famous. If you’re turned on by a guy singing and dancing and being manly … Excuse me, it’s getting hot in here.

• Like 4
  • Wink 3
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think Jack Lord is so very hawt. He may not be classically handsome, but I love his combination of craggy and chiseled looks.

Whaaaat???

To each one's own re considering others' hotness but before one gets too enthralled, take a look at his bio which revealed that he saw his only child a single time in infancy before he split from his first wife and he wasn't the easiest performer to work with.

At least he was generous to charities and had it set up that his fortune would go to them after his widow's death.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

he wasn't the easiest performer to work with.

A few years ago, I watched Jack Lord's show before Hawaii 5-0: Stoney Burke. It was an odd duck 1-season show about a rodeo star (played by Lord). The casting director had a real eye for talent. In addition to early guest star appearances from people like Robert Duvall, the main cast also included a very young Warren Oates and Bruce Dern. Apparently, Lord was super jealous of Oates and Dern because he wanted it to be a vehicle for him rather than an ensemble and he kept accusing them of hogging the camera. Dern's character disappears halfway through the season and Dern said he knew if he didn't quit, Lord would have had him fired. 

That always put a bad taste in my mouth about Lord. Truthfully, he's the least interesting thing about Stoney Burke, and Warren Oates and Bruce Dern were a hell of a lot more entertaining in it than him. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3