Type keyword(s) to search

Heart Eyes: Actors, Characters, And TV Personalities You Love

• Start Topic

All the "worst of" and "hate" topics are fun for sure, but here's some cheerful appreciation for those days when viewers' eyes aren't completely narrowed.

Sorry to sputter in advance, but if someone posts a like there's no need to follow up with a disagreement. Shoo on over to the dislike topic for that.  ;-)

The Claws forum reminded me how much I've enjoyed Niecy Nash over the years. I first became aware of her on Clean House, where she was a complete delight and I've genuinely liked her in everything she's done since then.

There aren't many actors I enjoy enough to follow, but I will watch Timothy Olyphant in anything.

No matter how many messes she makes or steps into, I still have an abiding fondness for Rosie O'Donnell and am always pulling for her to do well.

As far as characters go, I loved Harold Finch in Person of Interest beyond all reason. I don't know why I'm drawn to the super smart but socially repressed types, but there it is.

• Love 6

OK, it's far from an original  thought but she helped raised me during my latchkey days because I knew that with all the stuff that was happening to her onscreen, nothing bad could happen to me!  When she died, I literally felt like I'd lost a family member (and I know she definitely had her flaws, problems and issues), but as long as I have working memory cells, I will ALWAYS love Lucy who put Not Pocahontas's Jamestown on the map!

• Love 5

Beautiful, stunning, powerful, magnificent Michelle Forbes of the GL Sonni/Solita Saga and STTNG Ensign Ro Laren fame.  I loved her as the manead in True Blood.  She was in a really cool spy thriller series last season called Berlin Station.  There's so much really good TV that she's done over the years that I missed the first time around that I'm really going to enjoy catching up on all of her work.  She's my age (early 50s) and I've just loved her since I watched her on GL when we were both in our early 20s.  

• Love 3

Noel Fisher has blown me away by his performance on Shameless. I hope he has a satisfying career. He is brilliant. 

I love the character of Phil Dunphy from Modern Family. Ty is absolutely charming in that role. 

The Golden Girls... Always and forever.

Mr. Belvedere

• Love 4
(edited)

The Golden Girls... Always and forever.

Yup, this. Especially Bea Arthur, for me. I miss her and that beautiful,husky voice.

All the main characters of Roseanne and their actors. And yes, politics aside, that includes Roseanne Barr herself, if only because of the fact that she break through the Hollywood mold and change TV history. It was the only TV family that actually reflected my real life and I will always be grateful to her for her creation.

Despite whatever is going on with Cosby the man, Clair Huxtable with always be considered my 2nd TV mom. I didn't have a stable/supportive mother figure in real life, so Roseanne and Claire were what I considered my two TV moms.  I believe I learned my sarcastic wit from watching GG/Roseanne and my take-no-mess attitude from Clair Huxtable LOL. And of course, Phylicia Rashad herself is a national treasure and is now killing it on Empire, IMO.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6

X-Files and I'll watch anything with David Duchovny & Mitch Pileggi.

I've grown to love Simon Helberg and would watch anything he's in.  Ditto Alec Baldwin.

*MASH* is a show that doesn't age.

Neither has ER.

I also agree with Golden Girls.

And it goes w/o saying that I collect movies & shows that my beloved David Soul has been in.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I've grown to love Simon Helberg and would watch anything he's in.

I think he's underrated as an actor and often steals the show on Big Bang. He's an accomplished musician, too.

• Love 7

Well since I've already listed the following actors and actresses as my crushes, I'll just list the characters they played that I love. Because they were all flawed and those flaws made them perfect.

❤️?❤️Perry Mason❤️?❤️

Della Street

Mike Brady

Lucy Ricardo

❤️❤️??❤️❤️Remington Steele❤️❤️??❤️❤️

Laura Holt

Christine Cagney

Mary Beth Lacey

Opie Taylor ("Poor Horatio."???)

Andy Taylor (Don't judge me!)

Leroy Jethro Gibbs

Anthony DiNozzo

Barry Allen (it's the hacks who have no clue who this character is, that makes him look bad. But Grant Gustin makes it easy to love him)

Shawn SpencerandBurton"Gus"Guster(these two are a package deal!?)

❤️??????❤️Jamie Fraser❤️??????❤️

I have to think about some more...

• Love 4
(edited)

I'll stick with TV performers, rather than characters, for now.

I absolutely adore, as actors and (from what I know of them) as people, Gillian Anderson, Mary McDonnell, and Allison Janney.  I would watch any of them read the phone book (and, oh my, if they could do it together - complete with laughter - I'd be in heaven), and I'd happily sit and discuss life with any or all.  I have a girl crush on all three of them.

I also have unending affection for Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless, especially together.  Same with Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda.  Great actors, great women.

I generally enjoyed Samantha Bee on The Daily Show, and to see her knock it right out of the park with her own show has made me happy.  Jessica Williams is another former Daily Show correspondent I love; she was my favorite, and I still miss her.

When I saw America Ferrera in Real Women Have Curves, I sat up and took notice.  I still do, and she seems like someone I'd get along with in real life, too.

I'm excited any time Annie Potts, Octavia Spencer, Wendie Malick, Lynn Whitfield, Khandi Alexander, Judith Light, Nia Long, Susan Sullivan, Mimi Kennedy, or Ming-Na Wen shows up in something I watch.  Big role or small, good show or bad, they bring it.

The casts of Designing Women and The Golden Girls were both something pretty close to perfection as a group, and I love(d) a lot of them individually; Bea Arthur, in particular, was made of win.

Viola Davis is too great for words. 

I love Cybill Shepherd.  She's been bad in some bad things, but she's also been great in great things.  And I just dig her as a woman who speaks up for herself and others.

Roseanne Barr has a permanent place in my heart for ensuring that for nine years, we had a show told from a feminist, blue-collar point of view and examining class in America the way few other shows have done.

Hmm, there must be some male performers on TV I love, heh; the women    sprang to mind first.  There are a bunch of late night guys: Jon Stewart, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Trevor Noah, Aasif Mandvi, Larry Wilmore, Hasan Minhaj, and Seth Meyers.

Benjamin Bratt.  Major crush, admittedly, but I also truly enjoy him as an actor.  Repeat that with Danny Pino (although not enough to watch SVU).

Edward James Olmos.  He's another "I'd watch him read the phone book" actor.

Alan Arkin.  More of a movie actor, I know, but he's been on TV and I love him, so he's on my list.

Also Stanley Tucci, Fred Ward, Stephen Tobolowsky, Michael Beach, Keegan Michael-Key, Danny Trejo, and J.K. Simmons -- I'm always so happy to see any of them pop up in something.

Oops, I don't watch much reality TV, so I forgot to go through that category in my mind, but I also love - fiercely - Tia Torres and family from Pit Bulls & Parolees.  From Born This Way, I really like Rachel and Cristina and their families.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
(edited)
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also Stanley Tucci, Fred Ward, Stephen Tobolowsky, Michael Beach, Keegan Michael-Key, Danny Trejo, and J.K. Simmons -- I'm always so happy to see any of them pop up in something.

J.K. Simmons is a highlight for me and always brings it. Even his commercials.

I ❤️ Laurie Metcalf - I will watch her in anything. She's sooooo good!

Her guest spot on Horace and Pete was revelatory. I was so tickled when it was announced that her daughter would be playing her in Young Sheldon.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3

Bumping this up: one I'm really enjoying right now is the late Karl Malden in The Streets of San Francisco (as Lt. Mike Stone in that 1972-77 ABC police/detective series). I don't know what it is about him, but he's making that Streets show more than worth it on DVD!

• Love 3
Just now, Blergh said:

Because he's put himself in the news due to his taunting the Duchess of Sussex and throwing a pity party for her less pleasant relatives, I think now's the time to express my dislike for Piers Morgan. And to think, I initially thought he would have been a breath of fresh air to replace the self-important moron Larry King but he sure quickly  proved to be far more openly obnoxious and mean-spirited than Mr. King had ever been at his worst.

I think you meant to post this in the characters/hosts you hate thread? This is for those one loves!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think you meant to post this in the characters/hosts you hate thread? This is for those one loves!

Yikes, you're right! I'd better do so fast editing here!

• Love 2

Other characters who have become favorites of mine in seeing them on DVD:

--Capt. Barney Miller of the fictional 12th Precinct in NYC (Hal Linden, in that 1975-82 ABC police comedy called Barney Miller)

--Dr. Bob Hartley, Chicago psychologist (Bob Newhart, in his self-named 1972-78 CBS comedy)

--Lt. Frank Ballinger of the Chicago Police (the great, late Lee Marvin, in that 1957-60 NBC police/detective series M Squad)

--Jonathan Hart, and his wife Jennifer (Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers, in their 1979-84 ABC mystery/adventure series Hart to Hart)

--The Harts' majordomo/butler Max (the late, great Lionel Stander, also from Hart to Hart)

--Defense attorney Tony Petrocelli, and his wife Maggie (Barry Newman and Susan Howard, in that 1974-76 NBC legal series Petrocelli)

--Josh Randall, bounty hunter (the great, late Steve McQueen, in one of my two favorite Westerns to date, Wanted: Dead or Alive [1958-61 on CBS])

Edited by bmasters9
Third major character in Hart to Hart
  • Love 6

Now that he's in the entertainment news again, I'll say how much I love Captain Picard. I wasn't young enough when The Next Generation originally aired to think of him as a father figure, but he would certainly be the best boss I ever had.

• Love 6

OK, while I like Bob Newhart a great deal (and endured less than fantastic  later series to bask in his dry wit), even he was somewhat of a pulsar compared to the supernova on the original Bob Newhart Show  sitcom that was Suzanne Pleshette playing his wife Emily Hartley! Not only was Emily   razor-sharp, hilarious and cool as could be, but Miss Pleshette herself didn't have to stretch to play this part (or any other). While Miss Pleshette  is  mostly remembered for her comic heights, she also was a rather intense dramatic performer for those roles and even those roles with less than great writing, she always managed to make her own parts shine. Oh, and on a shallow note, Miss Pleshette was always a stunner! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, while I like Bob Newhart a great deal (and endured less than fantastic  later series to bask in his dry wit), even he was somewhat of a pulsar compared to the supernova on the original Bob Newhart Show that was Suzanne Pleshette playing his wife Emily Hartley! Not only was Emily   razor-sharp, hilarious and cool as could be, but Miss Pleshette herself didn't have to stretch to play this part (or any other). While Miss Pleshette deservedly mostly remembered for her comic heights, she also was a rather intense dramatic performer for those roles and even those roles with less than great writing, she always managed to make her own parts shine. Oh, and on a shallow note, Miss Pleshette was always a stunner! 

Great point! Without her, The Bob Newhart Show would not have been near as worth the money as it has been to me!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Having just finished a binge watch of the fabulous One Day at a Time reboot (yes, shortly after Netflix cancels it is when I finally get around to watching it), I have to add Justina Machado to my list.  When she popped up in an episode of Major Crimes five years ago, I immediately recognized her from an episode of Cold Case many years prior, because her performance in that (as the mother of a dying little girl) was pitch perfect and made a small guest role memorable.  Looking at her credits, I'd seen her in a few of the numerous other things she's done over the years, but until ODAAT, I associated her with those two guest shots. 

Now having three seasons worth of a starring role to feast on, I'm a fan.  She's equally adept at comedy and drama, and she doesn't over-do either one; she's always natural and relatable.  On a shallow note, she also has really pretty hair.

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She's equally adept at comedy and drama, and she doesn't over-do either one; she's always natural and relatable.  

That's Joey King for me-- she's masterful, and I can't wait to finish out that Gypsy Rose season of The Act!

• Love 1

My favorites characters ever...Michael Scott, Jim Halpert, Pam Beesley and Dwight Schrute....oh how I miss them on my tv every week.  Thank goodness for Netflix and reruns as I never get sick of watching.

Always been a fan of Mike Myers, since the SNL days.

• Love 2
(edited)

Charlotte York-beautiful, glamorous, but still has traits of regular women-not over the top like a lot of other women/characters on SATC and other shows.

Chad Dimera-love Billy Flynn and those beautiful eyes. He brought a fire to the Chad character that there wasn’t before. I did enjoy the previous actor, but I LOVE Billy’s Chad.

Chloe Lane-I loved how the “ghoul girl” with the glasses was a beautiful swan who sang like an angel.

Dylan McKay-dreamy looking dude and compelling character. 

Jack Tripper-John Ritter was a fabulous talent. Very funny and likable character on Three’s Company.

Kayla on Days of Our Lives-sweet, kind character 

Mrs. Garrett from Facts of Life-kind, motherly, lovable 

Seth Cohen-adorable, funny guy 

Will from Fresh Prince-so cute and funny. Will Smith can make you laugh or cry. Love him. 

Zack & Kelly-cutest TV couple ever 

Bill Maher-intelligent, funny, politically incorrect and entertaining 

Joy Behar-auntie in my head. So witty, and she is a saint for not going off on Meghan McCain. 

Lisa Vanderpump-I’m not one of those Lisa does no wrong fans, but she is just so fabulous!!! They don’t come more fabulous than her. 

Kyle Richards-also has a fabulous life. RHBH wouldn’t be the same without her.

Loni Love-so funny and likable 

Oprah-self-made woman who’s done a lot of good. Very talented interviewer.

All the women on The Real-of all the talk shows featuring women, they’re the group I could most see myself friends with. 

Wendy Williams-I know she can be abrasive, but she is so damn funny and entertaining. She delivers the gossip better than anyone. 

Chelsea Handler-I don’t think she’s the funniest comedian out there, but like Wendy, her show was very entertaining. 

I watch too much TV.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I love Jon Stewart. That is all.

Watching his speech today, I kept thinking, "Please come back to TV full time?" 

The fact he's got an animal sanctuary just adds to the love. 

• Love 11
On 6/27/2017 at 3:24 AM, Blergh said:

OK, it's far from an original  thought but she helped raised me during my latchkey days because I knew that with all the stuff that was happening to her onscreen, nothing bad could happen to me!  When she died, I literally felt like I'd lost a family member (and I know she definitely had her flaws, problems and issues), but as long as I have working memory cells, I will ALWAYS love Lucy who put Not Pocahontas's Jamestown on the map!

That was beautiful....I feel the same way and wore black for a week when she died.

Lucy and Carol Burnett gave me my slapstick humor and Nell Carter/Wendie Jo Sperber gave me confidence as an overweight woman in that they never let their weight stop them from doing whatever the fuck they wanted.

I adored Sammy Davis, Jr. and was devastated when he passed....same with John Ritter and Bernie Mac.

As for characters, I love Fred Sanford, Lucy Ricardo/Carmichael/Carter, Whitley Gilbert and Martin Payne.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I love Jon Stewart. That is all.

Jon has always been hilariously funny. His rant on Chicago pizza brought me to tears. And of course, he is incredibly empathetic. The situation he is talking about is maddening, and he says what most of us are (or should be) thinking.

• Love 10

One person I can never see enough on re British TV: Dr. Lucy Worsley. She pulls no punches re the shadowside of history yet is simultaneously enthralled by history of so many different eras and personalities! I never fail to learn something new and interesting from her! 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

One person I can never see enough on re British TV: Dr. Lucy Worsley. She pulls no punches re the shadowside of history yet is simultaneously enthralled by history of so many different eras and personalities! I never fail to learn something new and interesting from her! 

Same here. She does a great job and is really excited about the different eras she's talking about. 

• Love 3

I fianlly get the love so many have for Timothy Olyphant. I recently started Santa Clarita Diet and he's great. (I'm enjoying most of that cast, actually.)

• Love 6
13 hours ago, slf said:

I fianlly get the love so many have for Timothy Olyphant. I recently started Santa Clarita Diet and he's great. (I'm enjoying most of that cast, actually.)

Have you watched Justified? I realize that not everyone likes the same shows but if you haven’t seen it and you like it because he is superb!

• Love 6
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Have you watched Justified? I realize that not everyone likes the same shows but if you haven’t seen it and you like it because he is superb!

And fine. Occasionally a bit of a jerk, but he makes up for it. It’s one of my favorite shows. 

• Love 4
On 8/6/2018 at 4:37 AM, bmasters9 said:

Other characters who have become favorites of mine in seeing them on DVD:

--Capt. Barney Miller of the fictional 12th Precinct in NYC (Hal Linden, in that 1975-82 ABC police comedy called Barney Miller)

--Dr. Bob Hartley, Chicago psychologist (Bob Newhart, in his self-named 1972-78 CBS comedy)

--Lt. Frank Ballinger of the Chicago Police (the great, late Lee Marvin, in that 1957-60 NBC police/detective series M Squad)

--Jonathan Hart, and his wife Jennifer (Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers, in their 1979-84 ABC mystery/adventure series Hart to Hart)

--The Harts' majordomo/butler Max (the late, great Lionel Stander, also from Hart to Hart)

--Defense attorney Tony Petrocelli, and his wife Maggie (Barry Newman and Susan Howard, in that 1974-76 NBC legal series Petrocelli)

--Josh Randall, bounty hunter (the great, late Steve McQueen, in one of my two favorite Westerns to date, Wanted: Dead or Alive [1958-61 on CBS])

A couple from the soaps...

Jada Rowland as Nurse Carolee Simpson on The Doctors.

James Pritchett as Dr. Matt Powers from the same soap.

A non soap example would be Dana Delany as Nurse Coleen McMurphy on China Beach.

• Love 3

I know I mentioned characters that I have a huuuuuge crush on from this show, but they are also characters I loved and still love:

Bobby James Ewing--perfect because he was so not perfect--flawed, human. And Patrick Duffy was PERFECT. Sooooo SEXAY.  My mind still boggles that Steve Kanaly, that dog, was considered for the role of Bobby. He was much better suited to play Ray Krebbs. *sniff*

Ahem.

Barbara Bel Geddes. Loved, loved, LOVED her as Ms. Ellie. While I adore Donna Reed, she was so miscast to play her in the one season she played her. That role belonged to Barbara.

Jim Davis as Jock Ewing. Taken too soon. He worked until his last day, despite having brain cancer. I'm soooo glad they never recast him.

Carol Burnett in virtually anything she's done in TV and movies from The Ed Sullivan Show (1956) to the present! As far as I'm concerned, she can do no wrong performing-wise!  She's an excellent physical comedienne,  an uncanny mimic and even her dramatic performances have been quite riveting. Oh, and she's always seemed as though she'd be a terrific person to have as a friend if one had reason to know her! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

Maura Tierney.  I get caught up in the Pop reruns of ER (seriously, that show is so rewatchable and holds up amazingly well.  Even the later, less popular, seasons) every so often and she's just money episode in and episode out.  From the big moments to the random side conversations.  And what's so lovely is she seldom, if ever, seems as if she's "acting" even with the heavier scenes.  From NewsRadio to ER to a brief stint on Rescue Me (seriously, look that one up if you can find it) to the Affair she has quietly put together this really solid resume and it saddens me that she's never won an Emmy.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 8

Santiago Cabrera. I've been a fan since Heroes, way back when. Not only beautiful to look at, but also a great actor - he does really subtle, understated work so that his characters always feel like real people. He likes to fly under the radar, for the most part, but he's getting a bit more attention now with his current role in Star Trek: Picard, in which he not only plays Captain Rios but also a variety of holographic characters - and such is his ability to transform himself for each role, many fans didn't realise it was the same actor playing both the captain and the holograms!

• Love 5
On 3/9/2020 at 5:49 AM, Llywela said:

Santiago Cabrera

Oh, I really like him too.  I remember when he was Lancelot on Merlin.  he and Gwen had tons more smokin' chemistry than she and Arthir did.  I wanted them to flout story canon and just run off together happily.

As for me, I want to take this moment to say how much I appreciate the character of Captain Raymond Holt of the 99 (Brooklyn 99)

I love how he is so deadpan.  I love how he founded  an association for Arican American gay and lesbian police offers and gave it a truly horrible acronym (AAGLNYCPA).  I love how he has all these obscure talents and skills, such a speed reading, hula hooping and he's a certified debate moderator.  I love how when he texts he ends each text with 'Sincerely, Raymond Holt."  I love how he is truly horrific when he tries to pass as a heterosexual.   Holt is just the best!

• Love 15
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Oh, I really like him too.  I remember when he was Lancelot on Merlin.  he and Gwen had tons more smokin' chemistry than she and Arthir did.  I wanted them to flout story canon and just run off together happily.

As for me, I want to take this moment to say how much I appreciate the character of Captain Raymond Holt of the 99 (Brooklyn 99)

I love how he is so deadpan.  I love how he founded  an association for Arican American gay and lesbian police offers and gave it a truly horrible acronym (AAGLNYCPA).  I love how he has all these obscure talents and skills, such a speed reading, hula hooping and he's a certified debate moderator.  I love how when he texts he ends each text with 'Sincerely, Raymond Holt."  I love how he is truly horrific when he tries to pass as a heterosexual.   Holt is just the best!

Andre Braugher (Captain Holt) is an amazing, amazing actor.

• Love 14

From Boy Meet World-

I actually liked William Daniels's performance as Mr. Feeny who not only had to often be the sole straight foil among the zanies (especially during Eric's spaciest last years) . However, was also the salt of the earth re those serious times and even when he pulled no punches being disappointed  and  upset over the protagonists' counterproductive behavior, he NEVER gave up on them one day making the most of their lives and he never backed down from defending them from others who would do them harm despite being much shorter and older than virtually all adversaries! 

Then again, I actually liked Mr. Daniels as Dr. Mark Craig in St. Elsewhere (don't remind me of the snowglobe) inasmuch as exasperating and snotty he could  be to even his nearest and dearest (such as his wife Ellen played by his marvellous underrated Real Life consort Bonnie Bartlett who, in BMW had the upper hand playing Mr. Feeny's boss and love interest Dean Lila ), he somehow could evoke some sympathy in conveying his self-made isolation.  Thankfully, Mr. Feeny was more likable and one never doubted that he sincerely had all his students' interests and welfare at heart- regardless of his outwardly martinet facade! 

Rider Strong's Shawn Hunter not only could roll with the best of them comedy-wise with pratfalls, zinger delivery,etc.  but he also managed to achieve what few fictional characters or their real life counterparts have done with me: he actually somehow kept this viewer rooting for Shawn  in dramatic times  despite all the self-destruction, lashing out,  self-loathing and ingratitude to all those who were working so hard to help him to try to attempt a positive path.  I truly am appalled that he wasn't ever an Emmy nom much less a winner for this  cathartic performance! 

Hopefully, Mr. Strong will find a good, steady role in his 40's (though he seems more comfortable directing these days) but he did an excellent job way above and beyond just the steady paycheck this role entailed.

And, Mr. Daniels and Miss Bartlett are both past 90[!] with nearly 7 decades of marriage!

Oh, Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel did great jobs as Cory and Topanga (and William Russ& Betsy Randall were marvelous as Cory's parents Alan and Amy Matthews- why have these two stayed otherwise unknown?)but the above three were my personal faves. 

(and, yes, I'm hoping they and everyone else involved in this show and its sequel and countless others make it to the other side of our current status)

Edited by Blergh
clarity
  • Love 7
39 minutes ago, Blergh said:

From Boy Meet World-

I actually liked William Daniels's performance as Mr. Feeny who not only had to often be the sole straight foil among the zanies (especially during Eric's spaciest last years) . However, was also the salt of the earth re those serious times and even when he pulled no punches being disappointed  and  the protagonists' counterproductive behavior, he NEVER gave up on them one day making the most of their lives and he never backed down from defending them from others who would do them harm despite being much shorter and older than virtually all adversaries! 

Then again, I actually liked Mr. Daniels as Dr. Mark Craig in St. Elsewhere (don't remind me of the snowglobe) inasmuch as exasperating and snotty he could  be to even his nearest and dearest (such as his wife Ellen played by his marvellous underrated Real Life consort Bonnie Bartlett who, in BMW had the upper hand playing Mr. Feeny's boss and love interest Dean Lila ), he somehow could evoke some sympathy in conveying his self-made isolation.  Thankfully, Mr. Feeny was more likable and one never doubted that he sincerely had all his students' interests and welfare at heart- regardless of his outwardly martinet facade! 

Rider Strong's Shawn Hunter not only could roll with the best of them comedy-wise with pratfalls, zinger delivery,etc.  but he also managed to achieve what few fictional characters or their real life counterparts have done with me: he actually somehow kept this viewer rooting for Shawn  in dramatic times  despite all the self-destruction, lashing out,  self-loathing and ingratitude to all those who were working so hard to help him to try to attempt a positive path.  I truly am appalled that he wasn't ever an Emmy nom much less a winner for this as this cathartic performance! 

Hopefully, Mr. Strong will find a good, steady role in his 40's (though he seems more comfortable directing these days) but he did an excellent job way above and beyond just the steady paycheck this role entailed.

And, Mr. Daniels and Miss Bartlett are both past 90[!] with nearly 7 decades of marriage!

Oh, Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel did great jobs as Cory and Topanga but the above three were my personal faves. 

(and, yes, I'm hoping they and everyone else involved in this show and its sequel and countless others make it to the other side of our current status)

I didn't really watch Boy Meets World. But I adore William Daniels! I liked him on St. Elsewhere, but my favorite of his roles is John Adams in the 1972 film 1776.

Here's a favorite scene from the film: 

Had to add this lovely clip from the 1971 Tony Awards: 

Edited by praeceptrix
to add another video
  • Love 9

Everyone should have a teacher like Mr. Feeny in their lives. He was wonderful, and I agree that Daniels played him to perfection. 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

(such as his wife Ellen played by his marvellous underrated Real Life consort Bonnie Bartlett who, in BMW had the upper hand playing Mr. Feeny's boss and love interest Dean Lila

I love that his real life wife played his love interest on "Boy Meets World", too, and that they've been together so long in real life as they have. That's just lovely and sweet. 

I haven't seen "St. Elsewhere", outside of the occasional clip. Heard of it, though, certainly. May have to give that show a look someday. 

• Love 5

Sharing the William Daniels love. One of my favorite St Elsewhere moments was Mark singing a line from 1776. I think it was "It's hot as hell in Philadelphia."

• Love 7