Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

Can't really say this is out of character, but I can say it's gratuitous and problematic for the show to go back to this well in the context of how they've treated the POC characters this season.

This fits with the trigger warning tweet and is further confirmation of the "bittersweet" garbage fire coming on Sunday.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, blixie said:

This fits with the trigger warning tweet and is further confirmation of the "bittersweet" garbage fire coming on Sunday.

I though the warnings for this episode were out and they had one for violence but not for rape.

ETA here is HBO warning for Sunday

V-MA|1 HR 18 MIN|2019|5.1|HD

Adult Content, Adult Language, Graphic Violence

Latest episode of the award-winning HBO series.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 2

A comment in another thread has me thinking of a decent reason for Jon starting up the Night's Watch again: so he can't ever be pressed into being King. 

It makes a little more sense than just fucking off North to brood in the dark, I suppose.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, blixie said:

Rape IS Graphic Violence? I wasn't aware there was an official rape specific warning HBO used. 

If wikipedia is correct the warnings for pay TV include, Brief nudity, Nudity, Strong sexual content and Rp for Rape

(edited)

There wasn't a content warning for Sansa's rape scene in 5x06. The only content warnings for the episode were adult content and adult language.

It's possible to have PG-rated scenes implying rape. Show Dothraki dragging women offscreen, tearing off outer clothing (coats, cloaks, etc.), throwing them down on the ground, have lots of screaming, throw in a few lines from the Dothraki indicating their intentions. The writers have backed off graphic depictions of rape and sexual violence after the blowback over 5x06, so I think any depictions of rape would rely strongly on implication, much like Unella being (presumably) raped by the Mountain in 6x10: nothing explicit was shown, but you were left in no doubt of what was happening.

Wasn't there a scene where Dany put a stop to the Dothraki raping women in S1? I don't recall that being graphic, either. (Edited to add that I found the scene, and it just shows the Dothraki grabbing fully clothed women by their hair and shaking them around. No nudity.)

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

There wasn't a content warning for Sansa's rape scene in 5x06. The only content warnings for the episode were adult content and adult language.

It's possible to have PG-rated scenes implying rape. Show Dothraki dragging women offscreen, tearing off outer clothing (coats, cloaks, etc.), throwing them down on the ground, have lots of screaming, throw in a few lines from the Dothraki indicating their intentions. The writers have backed off graphic depictions of rape and sexual violence after the blowback over 5x06, so I think any depictions of rape would rely strongly on implication, much like Unella being (presumably) raped by the Mountain in 6x10: nothing explicit was shown, but you were left in no doubt of what was happening.

Wasn't there a scene where Dany put a stop to the Dothraki raping women in S1? I don't recall that being graphic, either.

I did what you did.. Hah. Except I noticed it said MA(LSV).... so it added a different warning on top of the others. But I dont remember the rest of the episode. It does appear that that episode had more warnings than Sunday's does. Hopefully its more implied rape than anything else.

Edited by JennyMominFL
1 hour ago, Indi said:

Someone at r/freefolk is claiming they saw a clip and the Dothraki raping really happens, but it looks like Dani didn't order that. I really want to believe that.

I never thought she would. My interpretation was that Dany went "kill them all" and the Dothraki went about their normal war behavior of killing and raping. 

Of course she knew they would do she may not order it but she's certainly condoning it. Unless she attempts to stop or punish them for their actions. Guess we'll see.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, GraceK said:

No just the women 🙄 all the badass ones if you notice the pattern developing.  The Queens. Yara, Dany, Cersei. ( or the ones not named Stark 😂😂)

Lyanna..bad ass

Graphic violence, adult content and adult language are pretty much a given on this show. That said, I would be shocked and severely disappointed if they actually had the Dothraki raping women given the anger over Sansa's rape. They really backed off the rape and gratuitous violence against women after that. 

Not sure what to believe anymore with all these leaks. I guess we'll find out Sunday.

9 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Graphic violence, adult content and adult language are pretty much a given on this show. That said, I would be shocked and severely disappointed if they actually had the Dothraki raping women given the anger over Sansa's rape. They really backed off the rape and gratuitous violence against women after that. 

Not sure what to believe anymore with all these leaks. I guess we'll find out Sunday.

That's the issue, the writing is so bad, anything can happen.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

So the Golden Company is basically useless? Could have hired any other sellsword company.

I'm assuming that's the whole reason Cersei didn't get her elephants.

I don't even know why the Golden Company would have take the job in the first place

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

I don't even know why the Golden Company would have take the job in the first place

Just checking off their list.

Edited by YaddaYadda
32 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

So the Golden Company is basically useless? Could have hired any other sellsword company.

Yea, if these leaks are true they are no better than the stormcrows.

20 hours ago, Oscirus said:

The hardcore fans let down on this season will likely love the first four seasons

First three seasons, Max. And will maybe skip on to S7E4.

1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm so glad she didn't! Now I don't have to choose in the fight dragon vs. elephants.

• Love 3
(edited)

I would hope that Jaime and Cersei would have a better end than having a building fall on them. Especially Cersei considering she's the big bad but D&D seem to not care anymore so who knows.

I think the most disappointing thing about these leaks is how everyone's arcs end so disappointingly. Dany as Mad Queen is something I think audience would accept had they spent at least 1 or 2 seasons building up to it. Yes, there have been hints but hints are not enough. They took everything away from her in order to accelerate and get her to this moment so of course most of the audiences wouldn't buy it. Jaime dying with Cersei makes sense but having him get together with Brienne then leave her all in one episode makes him look like even more of an asshole than he already is. If they had given these arcs more episodes, more space to breathe then it wouldn't be so bad. Clearly Jaime and Brienne were together for more than just one day, it seemed like a week at least, so have Jaime play domestic with Brienne and then show him in a span of one or two episodes feel like he doesn't deserve this life and ultimately goes back to what he knows, Cersei (if they really are having Jaime go back to save her or die with her instead of killing her).

Even how things end for The Hound is disappointing. He and his brother both fall into fire? That's it? Arya isn't even there during Cleganebowl? I was expecting him to die but not like this. And Arya leaving Winterfell and going off on her own? Okay, that seems believable but Arya leaving Winterfell and saying she's not coming back  (without any goodbyes) when her family was the reason she even came back in the first place. I want Arya to go on adventures but I also want Arya to embrace life and love and her humanity again. I thought we were going somewhere good with that in the first 3 episodes with her but now I don't even know. Tyrion, I don't think they even know what they're doing with him. Same with Jon. 

If D&D wanted to be done with the series then they should have handed it over to writers who still cared at the very least. HBO would have been willing to give them all the episodes they asked for and I think had they done a 12-13 episode final season or at least 2 seasons of 6 to 7 episodes they could have explored Dany's descent into madness better, actually given time and space for the revelation about Jon to breathe, dealt with the Night Knight better, have the Starks actually interact and so much more.

Edited by haje
  • Love 10

I'm sorry but this writing for Dany's character has not been earned. They should've started a slow set up for such a descent while she was in Mareen. This is my opinion.  

But it is what it is, I guess. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 8

As annoyed as I am with D&D's writing, it's still hard to believe that they'd turn Dany into another version of Cersei who doesn't care how many innocent people get torched.  Two crazy Queens destroying KL because they both want the Throne seems a bit much.  

To believe Dany has gone completely insane at this point would require me to think she can only make choices that aren't crazy if she has some wise man telling her not to do it.  It would have to mean that she  is no longer capable of caring who she destroys.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Jealous because of Euron having sex with his sister? With these writers it could be anything. 

You're probably right and GOOD GOD. He killed Rhaegal! That is Dany's revenge to take, or maybe Yara's. But apparently Dany will be too busy going randomly insane and killing innocents for no reason.

• Love 1

I mean, I kinda get all the rest of the complaints but what's the problem with Jamie killing Euron? 

I'm not mad at it, but he went all the way to KL ostensibly to reunite/confront/save Cersei but his first order of business is to kill his rival who would probably die by Drogon fire anyway? It's random. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Indi said:

Bran (I don't want anyone on the IT, but if it's going to be him or in a similar position of power: He wanted to be king from the beginning and was manipulating everyone to get there.

It would explain why Sam had to tell Jon NOW about Jon's parentage...

But it would be so stupid, too. Like a pull-it-out-of-your-ass,, unearned trick.

As for Dany, I would love it if she turned into a dragon herself. No wonder she alone is impervious to fire, like real dragons. Plus, she likes fire, like a dragon. Then she and Drogon could fly away to somewhere safe and have lots of dragon babies. (I know, I know, the non-magic people would freak!)

• Love 1

Here's a theory that pulls some of the leak threads together and offers a reason for Jaime to kill Euron that actually makes sense: "Euron will find out that Jaime is the father of the child, he will be the one who stabs Cersei. Jaime tries to save Cersei and is mortally wounded in the process but kills Euron. Jaime dies in Cersei's arms and they both die together."

• Love 3

It will be amazing if even Cleganebowl, the ending's one act of widely predicted fanservice, ends up disappointing people. This season will probably have no iconic fight scenes, it's been all dragons and blurry wight hordes.

I read a comment I liked about how 6x10 is one of the most-liked episodes because basically every major character got to end it in on a high for their own storyline (good guy Jon as KITN, main villain Cersei blowing up the sept and so on). While that's no longer possible now that the biggest plots are clashing, a poorly executed version of "everyone's dead or bitterbitter" is probably going to be received even worse than the strawman of the "Disney ending."

• Love 8

This all sounds so messy lol. I'm sure it will start to become more firmed up by Saturday like ep 4 did.

I'm hoping for a nice building collapse to take out Cersei. No way does this character deserve a remotely happy death. And I hope we see the realization dawn on Cersei's face that she's lost and it is over. LH can rock that and we deserve to see this monster pay before the end.

And damn it I just want a Drogon lives spoiler. At this point it's all I'm living for 😂

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Couver said:

I'm hoping for a nice building collapse to take out Cersei. No way does this character deserve a remotely happy death. And I hope we see the realization dawn on Cersei's face that she's lost and it is over. LH can rock that and we deserve to see this monster pay before the end.

The only ending for a character like Cersei would be execution. Dying essentially in an accident is not satisfying, nor does it pay off her long-standing supervillainess status. It would be like Darth Vader dying in the Death Star by falling debris, or crashing his TIE fighter into a Star Destroyer. There isn't any pay off to it. She should have to be humiliated in surrender, tried and publically executed, same as happened to Ned. 

• Love 7

I have to say, what is the finale going to be about if all that happens in 805?  The only remaining spoilers are the council scene where Bran is made king and then the epilogue.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, stagmania said:

You're probably right and GOOD GOD. He killed Rhaegal! That is Dany's revenge to take, or maybe Yara's. But apparently Dany will be too busy going randomly insane and killing innocents for no reason.

By this reasoning the NK was Jon’s and not Arya. 

I don’t think it is absurd for Jaime to kill Euron, but the (f)leaks could have a council and decide once for all who kills who. 

Edited by Raachel2008
6 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

The only ending for a character like Cersei would be execution. Dying essentially in an accident is not satisfying, nor does it pay off her long-standing supervillainess status. It would be like Darth Vader dying in the Death Star by falling debris, or crashing his TIE fighter into a Star Destroyer. There isn't any pay off to it. She should have to be humiliated in surrender, tried and publically executed, same as happened to Ned. 

Agreed 100% but sadly I don't think we are getting that. I think the shame walk was all Cersei haters were going to get. I always felt D&D had that happen to soften her a little. Her revenge on the Sept and Septa Unella were presented as badass (which from a narrative standpoint they were) because they wronged her.

Plus at this point in the show she's bested most of the characters who had a meaningful reason to hate her and want revenge. The only characters I could see humiliating her sufficiently would be Sansa and Tyrion (and clearly the writing won't let him). She's wronged Dany but it's happened so late that I'm not sure the payoff would be good. Plus death by dragon fire is super quick. Arya with Jamie's face would be great for me too but I don't see that happening either.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

How can Bran/Not Bran be king? Are they drawing straws? Isn't he busy off wandering around in the past and whatnot?

Tell you what he's NOT doing. Scouting for the enemy with his stupid ravens. Way to be, bro. Three Eyed Raven, the most useless superhero of all time. Please find a root cellar to fuck off in. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4