Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Kimmy Is a Feminist!

I legit had to pause the show so I could roll around and laugh for a full minute after Kimmy's version of "ghosting". I mean, I figured she would think that means "act like a Halloween ghost", but I expected her to drape something over herself and go "boooooo!", I never expected her to eerily moan "get out of my amuuuuusement paaaaaark!"

And oh my god, I wonder if that guy will ever figure out why she freaked the hell out when he told her he's going to be a reverend and have his own church.

The B-plot with Jacqueline accidentally getting leverage on Duke was also full of gold. Lillian working in that rant about rich people contributing nothing and ruining everything while pretending to be rich. Titus enjoying wrestling with Duke a little too much. All the fake names.

• Love 8
(edited)
11 hours ago, Bec said:

I legit had to pause the show so I could roll around and laugh for a full minute after Kimmy's version of "ghosting". I mean, I figured she would think that means "act like a Halloween ghost", but I expected her to drape something over herself and go "boooooo!", I never expected her to eerily moan "get out of my amuuuuusement paaaaaark!"

And oh my god, I wonder if that guy will ever figure out why she freaked the hell out when he told her he's going to be a reverend and have his own church.

The B-plot with Jacqueline accidentally getting leverage on Duke was also full of gold. Lillian working in that rant about rich people contributing nothing and ruining everything while pretending to be rich. Titus enjoying wrestling with Duke a little too much. All the fake names.

I agree -- I just finished episode 6 and I think this is the best season so far. Can't wait to watch the rest! As awesome as the first two were, I have definitely laughed harder at this season so far. Bring on season 4! 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2017 at 0:58 PM, SailorGirl said:

I agree -- I just finished episode 6 and I think this is the best season so far. Can't wait to watch the rest! As awesome as the first two were, I have definitely laughed harder at this season so far. Bring on season 4! 

I totally agree with you on this being the funniest season so far. I was worried that the shtick would wear out. 

That it was either a disco biscuit or a cat euthanasia pill...either of which would do the trick. Gold. 

• Love 5

"D'Fwan broke up with me!" made me snap to attention.  Because D'Fwan was the name of Titus's character on 30 Rock!

Duke thinking Titus was not gay made my sides hurt from laughing.

• Love 18

Duke and Titus weirdly dancing made me laugh way harder than I think it should have. As did Kimmy doing her ghost impression.

Kimmy trying to figure out the correct way to address people on gender without offending anyone is basically me every time I try to get on Tumblr :)

• Love 5

Loved, loved, loved Kimmy and Perry's conversation on the bus. It was nice to see a real connection with Kimmy and Perry. I also responded to seeing Kimmy realize that she didn't need to try and be like everyone else.

The Titus/Jaqueline/Lilian thing was weird. I did laugh out loud at Titus saying someone broke in and threw up in his mouth. Titus is still stealing this season  for me.

Why did Jacqueline ask to go to the owners' meeting rather than getting the name changed?

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:19 AM, Bec said:

OMG-me TOO!  I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe and had tears coming out of my eyes!   

This whole episode was hysterical, from start to finish.  And I love Kimmy and Perry together.  

Damn it even when Josh Charles is playing the douchiest douche around, I still find him adorable.  He's just as cute to me now as he was in Dead Poet's Society! <3

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Why did Jacqueline ask to go to the owners' meeting rather than getting the name changed?

I thought she was asking to go to the meeting in order to ask there to get the name changed.

2 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

I still don't get the "get out of my amusement park" ghost.

I assumed that was a reference to Scooby doo and how there is always a "ghost" chasing them away from whatever amusement park, museum etc..

• Love 4
11 hours ago, roctavia said:

I assumed that was a reference to Scooby doo and how there is always a "ghost" chasing them away from whatever amusement park, museum etc..

Yep totally Scoobie Doo reference! 

• Love 1

I'm loving the lambasting of PC college campus life. I find it every bit as ridiculous as the show makes it out to be.  But I do find the "dum white people" digs as disingenuous as they are unfunny.

I'm glad Xan was back in a major way because I love her line readings. She does this combination of dry and monotone mixed with teenage angst and humiliation that cracks me up. She kind of reminds me of Kat Dennings. Tituss Burgess continues to be uniformly excellent, the whole cast really, not a weak link in the bunch, well except for Daveed Diggs (who I also don't enjoy on "Black-ish").

• Love 4

I never watched Scooby Doo, so I honestly have no idea what "get out of my amusement park" is supposed to be a reference to. But it still tickled me. Reminds me of some of those scholastic paperback books I used to read as a kid. Maybe it was a Goosebumps book. Or the Boxcar Children. I can't remember anymore. 

Besides, there's something so hilarious dated about saying "amusement park".

The cutaway where Titus runs into the bar and says there's a woman crying and taking off her ring, then scooping up the drinks and food left behind after the bar cleared out had me rolling. The entire scene between Titus and Josh Charles was great. This was one of the funniest eps of the series that I can remember. 

"Mom? A girl thinks I'm not special!"

Daveed Diggs is SO CUTE.

• Love 6
On 2017-5-25 at 1:44 AM, Bec said:

I never watched Scooby Doo, so I honestly have no idea what "get out of my amusement park" is supposed to be a reference to. But it still tickled me. Reminds me of some of those scholastic paperback books I used to read as a kid. Maybe it was a Goosebumps book. Or the Boxcar Children. I can't remember anymore. 

It is funny i am obviously old since i have seen a ton of scooby doo episodes in its various forms, but at the same time i have no idea what ghosting is. That said the kimmy storyline was good but the Titus/Jaqueline storyline  was awesome. Like a comedy clinic give them all the awards kind of awesome. Titus trying to be straight (and the voice) was great and i always love the references to his past. All the various inappropriate attractions made me laugh and when they called the white widow that was just the icing on the cake.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:51 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

at the same time i have no idea what ghosting is.

Ghosting is just not responding at all to someone who is interested in you after you two have made a connection or even been out on dates. I suppose you could also ghost your friends by never responding to their texts, and unfollowing them on social media. It's this super passive way of playing games in this digital age of never seeing people face to face. It's childish and pretty mean. But I can't say I've never done it.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Ghosting is just not responding at all to someone who is interested in you after you two have made a connection or even been out on dates. I suppose you could also ghost your friends by never responding to their texts, and unfollowing them on social media. It's this super passive way of playing games in this digital age of never seeing people face to face. It's childish and pretty mean. But I can't say I've never done it.

I mean, ghosting can also be just a way to say "hey I'm not digging it" without actually having to SAY it which is awkward and hurty. Most people take the hint, and sometimes it's even mutual... just the other day I said "I was totally not qualified for that job but I wanted it so I applied anyway, I hope the search committee just ghosts me rather than telling me how much I suck!" (For the record, I think they did...yay?).  

15 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Perry asking Kimmy "Would you like to donate a dollar to help Dartmouth students learn how to read?" killed me. I love Perry so much more than the ridiculous Dong.

We saw Hamilton this weekend and the Thomas Jefferson actually did admirably, even though I've had the OST on repeat for two weeks now. I'll think Daveed Diggs is great in anything, I guess is my point, so I may be biased.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, rabidchipmnk said:

I mean, ghosting can also be just a way to say "hey I'm not digging it" without actually having to SAY it which is awkward and hurty.

Job ghosting is my preferred rejection method for sure. Agreed!

I love this episode a lot. Jacqueline and Titus together is always gold (the two of them burying Yuko in season one is one of my favorite scenes of all time). I'm also finding Titus a lot less self-involved this season, and it's great to see some character growth with him. Letting Mikey go was obviously the big moment, but he was also really sweet with Wendy, and I loved seeing him tackle Josh to help Jacqueline.

Kimmy's storyline was great too. In many ways she's emotionally stunted, even compared to her college friends, but in plenty of others she's wise behind her years because she's seen horrors none of them could even fathom. They seem so much smarter than her because they've all had more real-world experience than she has, but at the end of the day they are just babies.

One thing that really spoke to me was how Kimmy realized she didn't really miss much when she was in the bunker in terms of life experience. To me, the idea of missing all of my teens and twenties sounds horrifying...that's when you're supposed to be at your peak! But it's also the time in most people's lives when they're figuring stuff out. Kimmy had a lot about life figured out when she got out of the bunker. She did miss a lot, but maybe she didn't miss everything.

I had a special appreciation for "I want to drop out of school for a semester. Maybe go abroad or get an internship at Late Night. No, you call Mike Shoemaker!" I actually interned on Late Night with Seth Meyers two years ago, and Mike Shoemaker is the executive producer of the show (and a really nice guy!). I was spoiled for it because one of my fellow former interns sent a video of it to the groupchat, but I appreciated it just the same.

And yes, the amusement park line was fantastic. I knew she was gonna get "ghosting" wrong but I didn't think it would be that wrong.

Kimmy's reaction to Perry becoming a reverend broke my heart. Where is Ellie Kemper's Emmy, honestly? She's so amazing at the quirky and hilarious but when Kimmy is faced with obstacles that remind her of her time in the bunker she's just as compelling. Of course Perry has no idea what she's been through and how his career choice could affect her, but I can also totally understand why she's so upset. It made me wonder if we'll see Kimmy grapple with religion, as her only experience with it has been through a fundamentalist looney who raped her. I see there's an upcoming episode called "Kimmy Goes to Church!" so I'm assuming that will be addressed there.

Also, Xan really bothered me when she was first introduced but she's one of my favorites now and I look forward to her every time she's on scream. "I got back on the bus! Haha, BUS LIFE."

There was also a callback to the very first episode with Xan's, "Alcohol...tastes good. I like it." She and Kimmy are more alike than she'd ever want to admit it.

Every episode Netflix gives me the option to skip the themesong and every episode I politely decline. This is the most bumping theme song in years, why would I ever skip it???

On 5/22/2017 at 11:45 AM, mtlchick said:

"D'Fwan broke up with me!" made me snap to attention.  Because D'Fwan was the name of Titus's character on 30 Rock!

Yes, amazing shoutout! "D'Fwan! D'fwhy? D'fwhere did we go wrong?"

On 5/25/2017 at 1:44 AM, Bec said:

Honestly I think it could be any of those, but Scooby Doo was definitely the first thing that jumped to my mind. I think haunted amusement parks were staples in the children's horror genre of the '70s and '80s.

• Love 2

One thing I loved about this episode was the contrast between Kimmy dealing with all the overly PC aspects of college dating versus all the scheming and underhandedness of the adults (Russ's brother pretending he was sorry for kissing her but really trying to seduce her, Jacqueline trying to make him think she's interested in him, Titus pretending he was not gay, Lilian telling Jacqueline to roofie Russ's brother so that she wouldn't have to actually sleep with him).

There were so many silly jokes that made me laugh in this episode - the donation to help Dartmouth students learn to read, D'fwan, everyone overstanding, etc.

• Love 2

This was the first episode this season that I have really LOLed at throughout. 

As an old, the college girls getting all dressed up to party, in their tight dresses and high heels "because we want to, it's our bodies" made me laff.  Yes I remember when I thought that too. Then I discovered flats and jeans and that if I was doing it for myself, why did my feet hurt so much? 

D'Fwan!!! 

Josh Charles is hilarious. 

"Ghost him".  I was dying.  

17 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

As an old, the college girls getting all dressed up to party, in their tight dresses and high heels "because we want to, it's our bodies" made me laff.  Yes I remember when I thought that too. Then I discovered flats and jeans and that if I was doing it for myself, why did my feet hurt so much? 

I am with you, sister! I loved Kimmy realizing that these girls who all seemed so smart were only just starting to figure out life themselves.

• Love 2
On 5/23/2017 at 9:12 PM, theatremouse said:
On 5/23/2017 at 0:59 PM, Dots And Stripes said:

I thought she was asking to go to the meeting in order to ask there to get the name changed.

It's not likely to change in real life, so it can't actually happen on the show, I suppose.

Funniest episode so far.  Everything with Jacqueline, Duke, and Titus was perfection, between Duke thinking Titus was straight and pretending to be gay to get into her pants, to Jacqueline making both of them compete for her "affections" (dance off!), Lillian getting involved at the end, and then Duke still getting trapped, after he's caught on camera admitting that they don't care if the players get concussions.  I so can't wait for Jacqueline to go the owners meeting, even if I suspect it won't end the way she wants it to.

Kimmy's storyline with her first college party took an interesting turn.  I like that she is still naive and sheltered in a lot of ways (ghosting, etc.), but in others, she actually has her life on track and wiser then a lot of her college friends, who are still young and acting like fools.  Now, hopefully, most of them will grow out of it and become mature adults, but Kimmy seeing that the rest aren't perfect was a good step for her.  Hope we see more of Xan and her roommates in future episodes.

Great seeing Perry again, but I suspected something was going to mess things up, but I didn't predict it was going to because he was going to study to become a reverend.  Yeah, not surprised that reveal would make poor Kimmy freak-out for a bit.  Hopefully once she's calmed down, she'll try to explain it to him, because I think he'll understand.  But I like that the show still shows glimpses of the PTSD she has from her time in the bunker.

All the stuff with the "sex contracts" reminded of a similar skit that Dave Chappelle did on his Chappelle Show years ago (with a then unknown Rashida Jones!)