Type keyword(s) to search

Me, Myself & I - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

This sums it up perfectly.  It is a good natured show, with respect for and from all the characters.  I find that very refreshing!

I'm not familiar with the actor that plays the stepdad, he's a real "Hey, it's that guy" sort of actor, but he is really good.  His rear view mirror performance as young Alex was babbling on in his "Oh crap, I'm a good kid but I got caught being bad and now I'm going to screw up this great thing" verbal panic was amazing.  He never said a word, but he went from furious to angry to thoughtful to understanding and finally to sympathy.  It was seamless, and in natural response to young Alex's anxious blathering.  I'm liking this show more and more.  

I too noticed the excellent acting during the car scene.  We could only see his eyes in the rear view mirror, but you could totally see the thoughtfulness going on in the character's mind while his stepson was babbling.  It was very effective, while also not giving it away that he was going to take the blame for it with the mom when they got home.  That was a nice surprise.

I also loved the tiara thing at the end.  That went a long way toward redeeming middle-age Alex for his ass-hattery toward his awesome stepdad.

• Love 3

If seeing Star wars with his daughter was so important to Alex, maybe he should have mentioned it to his step-father. How was Ron to know that Alex had all those plans for that movie? He didn't wreck Star Wars on purpose, unlike Alex's basketball revenge. 

So Abby liked Star Wars Chapter 1 but not the original? Actually, that makes sense, since Anakin is a young kid and gets into a cool race, and she wouldn't know enough to dislike Jar Jar Binks. Though Ron never says that she liked it. Or maybe she was just too polite to her grandfather to say she was bored. 

• Love 2

No no no no. You do not give up a chance to go into space -- one you've been waiting for for years -- to creep on a woman who's engaged to another man, just in the hopes you can convince her you're the love of her life, not that other guy.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

No no no no. You do not give up a chance to go into space -- one you've been waiting for for years -- to creep on a woman who's engaged to another man, just in the hopes you can convince her you're the love of her life, not that other guy.

But he had eaten while waiting -- that's a less romantic reason to give up the flight, but it was a reason. 

On 10/11/2017 at 1:12 PM, Irishmaple said:

I appreciate the show's portrayal of a blended family. So many other shows mine the territory for angst and drama; this show is more like the families I know IRL.

ITA! For once, a show isn't going down the "Evil Stepparent" road. Ron seems to be a nice guy who is genuinely interested in doing what's right for Alex.

Regarding the whole glamping trip - I found it a bit hard to believe that all these other parents had no issue whatsoever throwing down $3k for a bunch of 7-year-olds to sit around a campfire. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

AuntiePam, they never said what happened to either Alex's dad or Justin's mom.

Thanks!  That's sorta odd, isn't it?  Maybe they're saving it for later -- if the show is renewed, they might need new characters, and Alex's dad and Justin's mom could be introduced. 

• Love 1

Season 1, Episode 5

October 23, 2017

Family Tree

Mid-life Alex is tempted to find his biological father when he helps his daughter with a family tree project; Young Alex performs at Ron's family reunion talent show; Older Alex meets Older Abby's new boyfriend.

That was fun.  Nits: What good is a telescope for watching a meteor shower? You don’t know exactly where the next meteor will be, and they move. Also, should an 8 year old really be in the front seat of a car?

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

I really hate that this show is doing so poorly because I have grown pretty attached to Ron and Urkel and the brother.

I have too.  They are my favorites, and really the main reasons I'm watching this show.

• Love 3

I think this show is part of a plot to make everyone feel better about what's going on in the world.  It's working for me, at least for half an hour on Monday nights.

I like that Alex and Abby decided not to meet New Grandpa, and that Alex would have let Abby meet him, if that was what she really wanted. 

But yeah, a telescope would be fine for viewing a meteor -- but not a meteor shower.

• Love 3

I'm enjoying this show a great deal. When young Alex started dancing to the MC Hammer song, I really was surprised at how talented he is. I like all of the characters and it's refreshing there isn't a lot of drama or tension and the parents aren't portrayed as being stupid either. Hopefully it will hang around a couple of seasons at least. 

• Love 2

I find young Alex so bratty. I don't know if it's the actor's delivery or every episode being a variation of 'I want to do something but my new family won't let me!', but I'm finding it tiresome. The step-brother is much more fun as audience member to spend time with.

• Love 1

I love this show because bad things and disappointments happen to good people, and so do really good things. If not for the abandonment, Alex and his mother never would have met Ron and Justin. I would consider the talent show another bad thing. That is my nightmare. I liked seeing Ron’s joy in introducing Alex and his mother to the family, and I was actually happy to see that two fictional characters are still together!

I enjoyed Older Alex biting his tongue all through dinner, feeding the boyfriend enough cues so Abby saw for herself how insufferable he was.

I really liked Adult Alex’s storyline because I recently met a friend’s biological father for the first time. They reconnected through social media a few years ago after a gap of over twenty years. 

• Love 4
On 10/17/2017 at 3:04 AM, biakbiak said:

The flashback really made me not like current day Alex for spoiling the game because he had Alex's back and also didn't really get that it was such a huge deal and clearly Alex had never asked him to watch it with him. Also, I was taken out of the scene when the annoucer suggested that Bulls/Lakers was a much anticipated game in 2017-2018.

i thought he was unnecessarily mean to his step father who did not spoil things intentionally and has been a great dad to him. that sucked. 

• Love 1

This show is like a cup of hot cocoa on a cold day. It's like a hug inside of you. It kind of relaxes the stress a little on a weeknight.

It does feel like a bit of a throwback family sitcom concept where we're just reflecting on normal people and the little internal struggles they sometimes go through, but without manufactured additional conflict. I particularly am impressed by the child actors. Young Abby is the weakest but she's also the youngest and definitely gets her character's message across. And the relationship between her and BobbyAlex is heart meltingly sweet.

I'll keep tuning in as long as it runs.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

"Dapper silver fox with a velvety baritone."

I like that the writers addressed this.  If Bobby Moynihan didn't have facial hair, I can see him as John Larroquette -- the shape of their heads is similar. 

afrocorgi, I sort of agree, but young Alex has more of an adjustment to make than the others, so I cut him some slack. 

One thing that surprised me is that Alex and his mom moved in with Justin and Ron before the marriage.  Is that so we can have a special wedding episode later?

• Love 4

We still don't really know what the story with Alex's bio dad is, but we did get a little hint, when in the car Alex mentioned that he's "not used to having a dad." Either he died or walked out on them, but it was definitely long ago and he's not currently an active part of Alex's life.

I think the show is progressing nicely, but I am still not sure exactly what it is trying to achieve long term. So we far we have just been inserted into different parts of the three timelines with a connecting theme. Well whatever its fun so far regardless.

• Love 2

The young actor playing the stepbrother reminds me of Jason Bateman's character Derek from Silver Spoons. Nice nostalgic reference there. Probably the line delivery or something, but he steals the show. Like Bateman stoled from from Ricky Schroeder. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

We still don't really know what the story with Alex's bio dad is, but we did get a little hint, when in the car Alex mentioned that he's "not used to having a dad." Either he died or walked out on them, but it was definitely long ago and he's not currently an active part of Alex's life.

This was all answered in the next episode that aired on monday called Family Tree

I am really enjoying this show.  Like many others have said, it's nice to have a show where people are, well, nice.  I love the dynamic between Ron & Alex, both young and mid-aged.  And none of the child actors bug me, as they so often do. 

But here's my question...  Alex and Darryl are in business together, right?  So how come Darryl is successful enough to have a nice house, where Alex is in the garage? 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I am really enjoying this show.  Like many others have said, it's nice to have a show where people are, well, nice.  I love the dynamic between Ron & Alex, both young and mid-aged.  And none of the child actors bug me, as they so often do. 

But here's my question...  Alex and Darryl are in business together, right?  So how come Darryl is successful enough to have a nice house, where Alex is in the garage? 

Alex is going through a divorce, while Darryl isn't. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, anthonyd46 said:
36 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Alex is going through a divorce, while Darryl isn't

True; and Darryl's wife may well be working outside the house, too.

23 hours ago, chaifan said:

I'm mostly enjoying it too, although I usually lose interest in the older-Alex stories. (Except for the one that had older-Justin.  I love that character and wonder if we'll see middle-age Justin.)

I think we found out in the pilot (or second episode) that Alex  let his ex-wife have basically all the assets in exchange for being able to keep all of his patents.

Edited by AnnaRose
failed to proofread before posting
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I'm mostly enjoying it too, although I usually lose interest in the older-Alex stories. (Except for the one that had older-Justin.  I love that character and wonder if we'll see middle-age Justin.)

I think we found out in the pilot (or second episode) that Alex gave let his ex-wife have basically all the assets in exchange for being able to keep all of his patents.

Thank you!  That makes more sense than him just going through a divorce.  I hope they get him out of the garage relatively quick.  It was cute for the first few episodes, and provided a quippy retort (but it's a *two* car garage!), but now I'm sort of done with it. 

• Love 1

So work clothing doesn't change in 25 years?  2042 officewear looks A LOT like 2017 officewear!  They need to get a little more creative, IMHO. 

Work clothing has always been fairly static, it's the same now as it was 25 or 40 years ago - pants or skirt with button up shirt. Jacket added for formality. I didn't expect unisex spandex jumpsuits just because it was the future.

they made John Laroquette look way too old

Actually, they didn't "make" him look anything, that's how he looks now.

I enjoyed it, and find the time tripping interesting with the reveals about why and how he is the way he is and what he becomes. I also like how the episodes (I've watched several now) tie the plotlines together over the time tripping. I'm thinking people who can't follow the time jumps also had issues with Back to the Future II. It's not a concept everyone enjoys.

• Love 2

Mid-life Alex considers accepting a new job and leaving his partnership with Darryl; Young Alex works with Young Darryl on an invention for a school project; Older Alex meets Eleanor's fiancé, a contractor helping fix his roof.

I would hate a reunion of a bunch of people I didn't know as an adult, but as a kid, I would have been completely intimidated and terrified.

I hope no one missed the Mom's "talent" at the family reunion, since it was only a few seconds and completely in the background and out of focus. It was Krav Maga (check wikipedia, a military self-defense system developed for the Israel Defense Forces) and she was hilariously brutal!

• Love 2

Has the show been moved permanently to 9.30? I watch on CTV (Canada) and they’ve put Lucifer in the 8pm slot. They run The Gifted at 9pm so they won’t simulcast Me, Myself & I. Hope I can still catch it on demand.

CTV moved it to 7.30pm. I’ll definitely be watching it on demand now.

Edited by Irishmaple
Answered my own question.

Telescopes are fine for viewing meteor showers.  Most come from a central point of reference - for example, the Orionids all begin a bit to the west of Orion's belt and fan out.

They don't streak all the way across the sky like a plane does.

I was more concerned with the signed Jordan rookie card from a few episodes ago.  Most signatures on rookie cards (ones that aren't produced with the autograph) diminish the value greatly.

Edited by Tachi Rocinante

I enjoyed this episode. Young Alex describing his invention was funny ("plop") - he's lucky Darryl helped him out. (He's a natural pitch-man.)  I love how supportive of his 'little bro' Justin is, and I was glad the whole family made it clear that Alex taking all the credit was unacceptable.

The new-job storyline offered some laughs.  I liked the aborted high-five at the end of the pitch, the awkward barista conversation and the montage of Alex with the straws.  I imagine it's tough to keep following your dream when you're living in a garage with your young daughter.  At least we know they end up being successful.

Old Alex remains the weakest part for me because he's basically stalking his engaged childhood sweetheart.  But it was nice to see Older Darryl this time. 

I'm still waiting for middle aged Justin.  I wonder who will play him?

• Love 2