Type keyword(s) to search

Me, Myself & I - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

In the series finale, Mid-life Alex contemplates getting back together with his ex-wife, Sarah, when she visits for Abby's birthday party. Also, Young Alex attempts to move on from his crush on Nori by inviting his lab partner, Julia, to the dance, and Older Alex makes one last-ditch effort to keep Eleanor from leaving Los Angeles with her fiancé.

Edited by AnnaRose

What?!!?! This was the series finale? But I want to know what happens with old Alex and Eleanor!!! She kisses him! Does she dump her fiance?  Do Alex and Eleanor  become a couple? I love this show!!! :(

• Love 2

Great episode!!! Young Alex and young Phil fake fighting! Hahahaha. They could have done a bit better than that! Hahahaha.  Older Phil.. Yeah I don't buy his revenge after 25 years later.. Come on! :) Older Phil's eulogy, was fantastic!!! :)

• Love 1

Yea I hate open ended things. That was basically a repeat of the ending of episode 1 but reversed. So he gets over nori by trying to make her jealous then I guess doesn’t keep in contact for the next 50 years. Everything else seemed pretty well wrapped up of middle aged Alex moving out of the basement, closure with the ex wife, Justin’s political career etc but would really like the main story to have a little clearer ending. 

• Love 1

As I said before I’ve interacted with reylynn caster the actress who plays nori on twitter multiple times she always seems to answer so hopefully I can get her to provide an answer on what would have happened.

I liked this episode, and I agree about the good casting... they nailed it again.  The fake fight was funny.  Justin: "He's using the force." haha.  They tied the stories together very effectively in this one.

• Love 1

I thought Alex was kind of an idiot in this one for having to hurry up and break up with Lisa just because she drives fast and has a different vacation style (which is very common among couples and is one of those things most people just have to discuss like adults and figure out a compromise.)   I thought she was otherwise such a great match for him, and honestly probably quite out of his league since mid-life Alex is not exactly a catch. 

And then he has sex with her again even though he is planning to break up with her... that was a dick-move.

I guess he preferred to be single, waiting for Nori for another 25 years, or for someone who elicited the same slo-mo response he experienced as a middle-school aged child.  Alrighty then.  Can you tell Alex is by far my least favorite character in this show?  And that I find his Nori obsession tedious and creepy?

• Love 1
23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Not a bad ending all things considered though I don’t care about future Alex and Eleanor.

I don't care about them either... and Eleanor walking out at the end, saying her line and walking back in to kiss Alex played out very strangely to me.  I just didn't buy that she suddenly had some kind of epiphany after all this time. 

I liked Alex's date for the dance, and I liked the two little scenes in which Alex hesitates in asking Nori to the dance and misses his chance because somebody else beat him too it, and then that scene is repeated with Alex being the one to ask out the girl while another guy is trying to work up the nerve to ask her out.  Also, the fake snow scene was cute, and I'm glad he made it up to her.  (And young-Nori stopped being in slo-mo at the end... interesting.)

Is this the first episode that had Alex's ex-wife in it?  (I mean in which we actually saw her?)  I don't recall seeing her before.  I thought that whole storyline was well done and the actress was a good choice for the role.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I thought Alex was kind of an idiot in this one for having to hurry up and break up with Lisa just because she drives fast and has a different vacation style (which is very common among couples and is one of those things most people just have to discuss like adults and figure out a compromise.)   I thought she was otherwise such a great match for him, and honestly probably quite out of his league since mid-life Alex is not exactly a catch. 

This is my husband and I.  If I left it up to him, we wouldn't plan ANYTHING.  I've learned to compromise by leaving things pretty much open will take care of any necessary reservations/tickets. 

I would've liked more obvious reasons for the breakup, if they really had to break them up.  But, the shows over so I guess I won't worry about these details anymore. 

• Love 2

I feel if the show went on longer they probably wouldn't have broke up, but since they knew in advance (they taped the last 3? episodes AFTER hearing the cancellation rumors) they probably figured they had to break them up to give some resolution to the Nori timeline. I guess the conclusion I have here is Alex has a very particular view of life and it angers him when people don't agree with his weird views/theories/etc. Oldest Alex is the most guilty of this, but we see it in the other two as well.

• Love 2

Yea this ending while it had some good things I agree there was definitely some weird ones as well. 

First to answer your question Sarah was in the first episode as well, but I think thats her only other appearance.

The ending is definitely a low point. Eleanor is engaged, moving, etc. I get they were trying to recreate the first episode, but its too open ended for me. So is this just a one time thing and she moves anyway? Do they have a similar scene as in timeline two where they just realize this is never going to work out? Etc. For a show that had all this time to edit the episode I thought they at the least could have give some kind of epilogue/update since they told us what happens to every other character.

I liked the same scenes you did it just makes me wonder though why didn't he try any of the things he did on Julia to win her over as he did on Nori. I guess the slo-mo always distracted him with Nori I dunno. Like both of you have said its a bit creepy he still had this crush all these years later when he had multiple opportunities to ask her out and he never did. I can see if she was never available or didn't have the chances, but he had both and never followed through. We never really saw why he got with his wife either like what happened with Julia anyway? It would have made more sense if her name was Sarah and then we could say thats who the wife was and whatever. 

I do agree that the supporting characters were all a lot more developed/likeable than the main character. Also like I said we found out what happened to every single one of them so why is the main characters future so unhinged and not completely told to us?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, anthonyd46 said:

I feel if the show went on longer they probably wouldn't have broke up, but since they knew in advance (they taped the last 3? episodes AFTER hearing the cancellation rumors) they probably figured they had to break them up to give some resolution to the Nori timeline. I guess the conclusion I have here is Alex has a very particular view of life and it angers him when people don't agree with his weird views/theories/etc. Oldest Alex is the most guilty of this, but we see it in the other two as well.

That's interesting.  I didn't realize they filmed the last three episodes after they already knew it was cancelled.  It did seem like they were rushing to get some closure for the various storylines, but I assumed they did that "just in case", rather than the writers knowing with certainty that it was the end of the series.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Justin and Alex were so close as kids, but really not as adults. I was disappointed by that and it's one of the things I would have liked to see more developed if they show had had more time.

I know what you mean, I would have like to have seen more of them too... especially in mid-life.

• Love 1

Did I miss something, or did they never reveal what Alex's big invention was that made him so rich? 

I like how they wrapped up young Alex and his infatuation with Nori - he fell for someone else.  When that happened, Nori stopped moving in slo-mo, and the new girl did.  I'm OK with how they wrapped up middle age Alex - moving out of the garage, not getting back together with the ex.  I totally loved his line to young Abby - you'll have to share your room with the monster under the bed who won't bother you as long as you get good grades.  And her "yeah right" expression.  Those two actors worked so well together.  But I was not impressed with how they ended older Alex.  OK, he and Eleanor end up together.  We saw that coming a mile away.  But it was rather anti-climatic. 

Did we ever find out what happened to his mom?  I don't remember from earlier episodes if they explained when she died. 

I am disappointed CBS cancelled this show.  I know it's all about the ratings, but this was a really good show and had a novel premise.  I wish they gave it a bit longer, and maybe a bit more support by way of promos, good time slot, etc., to let it get it's footing.  How 2 1/2 Men stayed on the air so long and this gets cancelled after 1/2 a season is just such sad commentary on tv and its viewers. 

• Love 3
On 8/1/2018 at 9:49 PM, chaifan said:

Did I miss something, or did they never reveal what Alex's big invention was that made him so rich? 

I like how they wrapped up young Alex and his infatuation with Nori - he fell for someone else.  When that happened, Nori stopped moving in slo-mo, and the new girl did.  I'm OK with how they wrapped up middle age Alex - moving out of the garage, not getting back together with the ex.  I totally loved his line to young Abby - you'll have to share your room with the monster under the bed who won't bother you as long as you get good grades.  And her "yeah right" expression.  Those two actors worked so well together.  But I was not impressed with how they ended older Alex.  OK, he and Eleanor end up together.  We saw that coming a mile away.  But it was rather anti-climatic. 

Did we ever find out what happened to his mom?  I don't remember from earlier episodes if they explained when she died. 

I am disappointed CBS cancelled this show.  I know it's all about the ratings, but this was a really good show and had a novel premise.  I wish they gave it a bit longer, and maybe a bit more support by way of promos, good time slot, etc., to let it get it's footing.  How 2 1/2 Men stayed on the air so long and this gets cancelled after 1/2 a season is just such sad commentary on tv and its viewers. 

Thats really not 100% given either way. As far as we know she could have still moved away. All that was mentioned about the parents was that they were both dead in the house episode when Alex says he misses them both.

• Love 1