Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am biased: I love DNA. Denys to begin with, but Antonina has been growing on me. They were not only spot on in each of their performances, they have demonstrated range. There is absolutely nothing to justify why Karen 6 Ricardo should score 10 points higher and earn a standing ovation. You want a non-American Latin couple going forward, fine. But they didn't need that high of a score to do so. (It also reminded me of poor Fikshun last year, who had danced his heart out and received high praise, only to be low-balled.) 

• Love 6

I'm disappointed Flip didn't make it through. I love their high energy and uniqueness. I was also sad about B-Dash and Koncrete but I honestly didn't like their routine. And while I'm glad The Lab made it through, I also wasn't impressed with their routine. 

• Love 3

The whole time I watched(and I ff through everything but the dancing), I thought that the top three were already chosen....all the judges have to do is make the numbers work. I wish they could maybe score them but not reveal the numbers til everyone dances. But then I guess, their chosen ones might not make it! I so wanted B-dash and Konkrete to go through!

13 hours ago, Whimsy said:

1. I agree about The Lab being the one to beat, but this was also my least favorite routine.  Also, if you're going to trot out someone's sob story, then tell us.  This is a young girl, so I actually thought they should've left the sob story out.  It was quite obvious from the choreography and costuming that one person was struggling and the rest built her up and then they were a family.  Say THAT's the story (but more eloquently) and stop making this poor girl dance (no pun intended) around the actual story.  It obviously had to be pretty bad and personal for her to not actually say what it was, so it should have been avoided.  Not telling us makes us have to guess or feel it's just fake to garner sympathy

I thought the same thing...and when JLo said that maybe they would like to explain it to everyone, they said the same thing that they had in rehearsal. I felt kinda' like when someone tells you they have something to tell you...BUT no, I can't tell. GRRRRRRRR.

• Love 2

Heh, ITA - I'd rather see BDash & Konkrete do another routine than another routine by Michael Dameski. I don't know what BDash & Konkrete will do next but I know exactly what we will get with Michael.

Yes, I find Michael so boring. I know what he's doing is technically difficult and well executed, but I feel no connection. I didn't think BDash & Konkrete told their story as clearly as the clown/puppeteer one (steampunk alchemists? steampunk alchemists who had a fantasy of successfully turning ordinary shoes to gold but it was all a dream?), but their dancing was interesting to me. I think they're still developing as performers and choreographers, and I'm much more interested in seeing what they do next than in Michael.

There is absolutely nothing to justify why Karen y Ricardo should score 10 points higher and earn a standing ovation.

I know there's a subjectivity to all of this, but to me, Karen y Ricardo are just in another level than everyone else. Their technical abilities are spot on, but their presence/confidence/maturity is captivating. 

This felt like a weird creepy fairy tale that I didn't know the story for but afterward I wanted to find the book and read it.

Yes! This exactly! I loved Fabulous Sisters' audition, but I thought they were going to feel samey over time. I was so wrong! Yes, they're using this seemingly limited palette of fast arm motions, claw-like stylized hands, and fabric work, but they're showing that in the right hands, that palette is limitless rather than limited. 

• Love 2

I really didn't understand The Lab's high score at all.  I know there is some story, apparently, with them, but that shouldn't play into their score.   I also liked Flip's dance better than the Rock Company's.  Hate me for this, but I thought it would have been better without the boy in the dance.  To me, he seemed a lot less fluid than the girls.  Yes, I admit I am a non-dancer and maybe my opinion is skewed for that.  I also ff'd through the male contemporary dancer.  Maybe that says more about me. lol

• Love 2

I was pretty much ready to give up on WOD.  I find the duels to be absurd. Having two entirely different styles or a solo dancer and a duo or group compete against one another makes no sense to me.  I had recorded this week's show and was going to delete it but decided to watch it last night. The Cut rounds are so much better because its all on the dancers to show what they can do and the judges to score them on that.  I thought that the dancing last night was excellent all around.  The girls from Japan are scary talented and their showmanship is off the chain. I was sorry to see BDash & Konkrete get the boot.  These guys are so talented and inventive in crafting their routines.  I hope that the exposure that WOD has given them leads to a big future.  After the cuts are done, from what I recall of last season it's back to the mish mash of different styles up against each other.  I also recall being disappointed when Les Twins beat Eva Igo to win.  Oh well...

• Love 1
On 8/23/2018 at 9:17 AM, Whimsy said:

I really like Karen y Ricardo, but I also think they're getting a serious bolstering from J-Lo because they are from Chile. 

So much this. I'm livid about the blatant Latin bias Jennifer shows contestants with the gushing and scores that are inflated at least 10 points. It seems Derek and Ne-Yo are contractually obligated to likewise follow suit. Why should Karen y Ricardo get a standing ovation for their routine but Zack and Ashley get zilch for something that was technically flawless, powerful and also moving? I hate that Coldplay song but I found myself a bit choked up, and that almost never happens with a contemporary dance piece.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, Mason said:

There is absolutely nothing to justify why Karen 6 Ricardo should score 10 points higher and earn a standing ovation. You want a non-American Latin couple going forward, fine. But they didn't need that high of a score to do so. (It also reminded me of poor Fikshun last year, who had danced his heart out and received high praise, only to be low-balled.) 

Seconded. I happen to believe they get 10 extra points for being of Latin extraction.

I was really disappointed Flip did not make the cut. They've largely flown under the radar for me but this last number was fantastic and a worthy contender for the next round. The judges low balled them and then gave The Lab super inflated scores and a standing ovation for a mediocre routine that was supposed to evoke emotion but left me feeling flat. Was it supposed to be about the girl getting molested and then turning to her peers? Either share the story in full, or just leave it out please. I'd actually prefer most of these dances to nix the sob stories. They're getting very tiresome.

• Love 4

I wanted BDash & Konkrete to stay, and was really sad to see them go and the fact that we won’t see more of them on that stage. I would have kept them over MD.

And for a little levity, I ran across this on social media—the caption is what makes it funny

karenyricardo1.jpg

• Love 2

Okay so I usually roll my eyes when other people (usually judges) cry at the dances on these competition shows but damn I actually teared up watching Sean and Kaycee. Something about the purity of their movement and the youthful innocence that was portrayed really got to me. It also helps that it wasn't an overly wrought, flaily, liftapalooza which I can't stand.

• Love 6

So what floored me tonight was The Ruggeds. I thought they were for sure there just to make up the numbers in the Upper Team category. Neither routine they had performed had scored above an 86 from any one judge before tonight. An 86! Were they just sandbagging? Did they have outside help on the choreography? Inquiring minds want to know.

As soon as Taylor & Josh starting talking about light up squares on the floor, I knew they were toast. Going first didn't help either.

Desi Hoppers were absolutely hosed. In no universe were they only the 5th best team out of 7 or 8. If they would've traded places in the order with the Ruggeds, they might've gotten a similar score to the Ruggeds and gone through.

For reference our final 12 acts who survived The Cut include:

S-Rank: Giant hip hop crew w/ military precision

The Ruggeds: Dutch B-Boys who elevated to another level in the Cut round

Poreotics: ABCD Alumni, Animation heavy hip hop crew

Jaxon Willard: Annoyingly earnest adopted, contempo-teen from Utah

Sean & Kaycee: Tween lyrical hip hop wizards

Charity & Andres: Teen contempo-duo, from Utah. Have one of the two perfect scores this season

Fabulous Sisters: All female Japanese crew with an ambiguous style and lightning fast hand/arm movements

The Lab: WoD alumni from last year, my pick to win it all (ymmv, of course)

The Rock Company: Giant contempo-group from Vegas, milking their connection to the mass shooting for all it's worth

Michael Dameski: Incredibly flaily and boring solo contemporary dancer from SYTYCD Australia

Ashley & Zack: Even more annoying OTT emotional duo benefiting massively from insider connections to the Judges Panel

Karen y Ricardo: Otherworldly Salsa/Latin duo. Got the other perfect score, my 2nd choice to win the whole thing

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4

Jaxon's such an amazing dancer that it really doesn't matter that his choreographic skills are not fully baked yet. But man, if he's this powerful with fairly mediocre choreography, he's going to blow us all away when his choreography is there.

Meanwhile, Sean is already such a gifted choreographer that it's hard to remember he's so young. Every dance has been different but so smooth in the transitions and complete in the storytelling.

I don't like Poreotics for some irrational reason (holdover from ABDC, but I don't remember what I didn't like about them there), but I loved how light and fun their routine was. They're so silly that it can be easy to forget that they are freaking amazing dancers.

It's hard by this level because there are just more great dancers than slots for them, but I felt both Desi Hoppers and Jonas and Ruby were hosed. Except I'm not sure who I would have them replace, so maybe they weren't. I wish I could trade Michael Dameski for one of them (or both of them!)

I have no idea who's going to win divisions. I think The Fabulous Sisters will take it for Junior Team and Karen y Ricardo will take it for Upper but Junior and Upper Team seem really evenly matched. And for overall winner, I have no clue.

• Love 5

I missed the first part of the show, and I still don't get this show or the scoring whatsoever, but I had similar feelings on Jaxon.  Great dancer, but I thought the choreography was lacking and bringing him down.

I also think Charity & Andres are beautiful dancers and I expect them to be the ones to move forward from the Juniors division since they always get the highest scores, but I find myself massively bored by them.  It's a lot of what feels like faux angst and tricks.  Well executed tricks and great technique, but I find that there is something more appealing about Sean and Kaycee's brand of seemingly genuine emotion and stage presence.  But they don't have the tricks so I think they will get beat in the next round.  If this were a voting show, then Sean & Kaycee would probably slide through based on their social media presence and popularity, but alas it is not for better or worse.

I do not get the choreography for Josh & Taylor at all.  Again, they were never my faves.  Not to endless compare to Sean and Kaycee, but all four of them have come up in the industry together working with the same choreographers and having a lot of the same opportunities, and I think Kaycee is a much more well wounded performer than someone like Taylor, who shines in what she's good at but I don't think has the emotional range for much else.  But the choreography they were given was a step down from what they did in the previous rounds and it seems like a weird time to go more understated and not memorable.  I'm sure that isn't what was intended, but I was scratching my head at the choreo.

I wish Ruby and her partner had gone through, but again, I don't know who I would have dumped for them.  Charity & Andres from my own personal enjoyment standpoint, but I knew that was never going to happen.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

It's hard by this level because there are just more great dancers than slots for them, but I felt both Desi Hoppers and Jonas and Ruby were hosed

Yes they were.  Disappointing. 

• Love 4

This show makes me livid. Desi Hoppers were done a huge disservice by going first. The judges lowballed their scores incredibly, and then gave overly inflated scores to mediocre acts like Embodiment and Connection. Desi Hoppers absolutely deserved a spot in the final three. The same thing happened to Flip last week. 

The judging is absolutely rigged because the last act to perform always makes it through...meaning the producers and staff have an idea of the score range each act will receive for their upcoming performance. I'm too mad to even comment on anything else!

• Love 15

The Desi Hoppers got screwed by being first. I found their routines to be fresh, entertaining, and different. I think if they had performed later, they probably would have gotten a higher score.

I really want to like this show, but between Jennifer over-scoring her faves, and Ne-Yo low-balling the juniors, the judging just frustrates me.

Surprisingly, I thought Paula was the best mentor, at least from what they showed of the mentoring sessions.

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 6

The scoring with the juniors was confusing to me and as the night progresses it seems like there is an adjustment so certain groups/dancers proceed.  However to build tension they keep scoring close.  When NeYo ran on stage to hug Jaxon and said he was great and followed the suggestions but then gave him a 91.  I was totally confused.  I think instead WOD should ‘lock’ in the judges ranking of each performance and have the scoring revealed at the end of the categoris performances.   The overall average would be shown, or if they want to show how each judge ranked a performance they could show a matrix, this would allow the judges to score without an agenda since even they will not know the scoring until the end.  Then you allow each eliminated group/dancer to comment as they leave the floor.  Then have the judges talk to the remaining groups.  Also have the mentors present so they can comment.  I think the time gained from the current system could be used to show every performance completely. So the final reveal board will show:

Dancer/Group.       JL score.         DH score.      N score.             Average

it would also allow for groups not to hope that every performance after theirs is scored lower.  Watching them pray other dancers do a good job then cry when they get eliminated.  Also if they want the audience to know the story behind the dance, have Jenna annouce the dancer and story before each performance.

• Love 2

I was glad that we didn't see the results until all three acts had finished and that they brought in another judge! It made it a bit more interesting to watch BUT I bet they still knew how to score to make sure who would win the division.  Am I alone in thinking unless something dramatic happens, they pretty much know who is going to win? Injuries did play a part in tonight's show though so I guess that did maybe change things.

• Love 4

I literally hate 3 of the 4 decisions. Damn lol. Can someone explain Charity and Andres to me? I don't get them. Contemporary is so much more than tumbling passes, angst and lifts that comprise over 75% of the dance. And for the "genre" of contemporary that it is, it's not even the best? They're so overhyped I don't get it. Part of the problem is that the show rewards contemporary that is filled to the brim with tricks but ugh, why.

Michael Dameski over Karen y Ricardo...ugh see above.

Edited by allypenguin
  • Love 7

I still don't know who decides what their background screens are going to be, & who pays for their costumes, & who decides (and pays for) the props.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

I'm incredibly biased towards Sean & Kaycee so I don't know if they deserved to advance over Charity and Andres.  I certainly find them more interesting and their choreography/style more interesting to watch, but there is no doubt the latter two are polished dancers.  I did think the reviews from the judges to Sean & Kaycee last night were extremely tepid in a weird way after weeks of constant gushing.  JLo is the only one that scored them higher that C&A.  I also think Sean/Kaycee dance with a rawer emotion, but C&A probably appear more polished to the judges.

I doubt S&K will come back again, unless it's solely for themselves.  The thing is I think Charity & Andres, without knowing anything about them, probably need this more.  S & K already have relationships with and work with top choreographers in the industry.  They already book industry work.  Heck, their viewing party last night was with Tessandra Chavez.  Brian Friedman puts them in his numbers, etc.  They already have choreographers that want to mentor them and choreograph for them.  So I think this show gave them even more of a launching off point for whats next, but they already have careers and will continue to have careers. 

Anyway, I enjoy this show to an extent but do not understand the judging at all.  Particularly Neyo.

• Love 4

The Lab’s routine was perfection to my untrained eyes, I’m hoping they haven’t peaked too soon.  I have no idea how they could do any better than they did this week.  It’d be a shame if they lose some of that magic for the finale.

The Ruggeds really changed up the typical b-boy routines that get shown on these programs. There always seems to be a moment where one dancer does tricks and the rest stand around in a circle. The spotlights at the beginning really broke that up. 

S & K already have relationships with and work with top choreographers in the industry. 

WOD acts like Sean is the only choreographer for this team, so how do S&K work in real life? Are they dancers that occasionally choreograph themselves, or is it that they mostly do Sean’s stuff but sometimes dance other people’s dances? Just curious.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, allypenguin said:

Michael Dameski over Karen y Ricardo...ugh see above.

I haven't been a fan of Karen & Ricardo until last night. I enjoyed them, and thanks for putting that stupid ultra spinning at the beginning so I forgot about it by the time they were finished. I did like Michael better though, but was it because of his dance ability or all the graphics and lighting and the ninja costuming? Not sure.

I did think KyR were very gracious when voted off, which I appreciated. All these people crying and looking like they're heading to the guillotine if they lose gets a little much. Nice to know KyR are going to live to dance another day.

Speaking of lighting and costuming, that group who did the wolf thing or whatever it was got screwed majorly by their lighting. Or rather, lack of it. They might have been good but who could tell.

Jaxon needs to take a week off from trying to figure out who he is and see if he can perform some less-angsty dance. I've been a fan in the past but he's worn out his "I'm black and adopted" schtick with me, so bye.

I liked The Lab. And I thought the Sisters were better last time around. So I agreed with that outcome. The Rock group, I spent their dance looking at the pretty colors on the floor so sort of didn't see them at all. Although I don't think I missed much.

I don't remember names except for a few. I guess that speaks to how invested I am in those nameless ones. Not that I'm invested in anyone this season. But I don't hate anyone either, now that Eva Igo is gone.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I did like Michael better though, but was it because of his dance ability or all the graphics and lighting and the ninja costuming? Not sure.

And this is why I wonder who picks what back screens, etc. the dancers get. All those dancer figures while he was dancing really boosted his dance, I don't think it would have been nearly as interesting without them.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Carrots4 said:

WOD acts like Sean is the only choreographer for this team, so how do S&K work in real life? Are they dancers that occasionally choreograph themselves, or is it that they mostly do Sean’s stuff but sometimes dance other people’s dances? Just curious.

Sean was the only choreographer for their WOD dances, to my knowledge.  They have plenty of connections they could have used, but didn't for the show. My understanding is Sean is a budding choreographer and so he does choreograph pieces from himself and sometimes with Kaycee.  He also teaches some industry classes and choreographs for those.  I don't think Kaycee is really doing any choreographing of her own yet, except maybe for herself.

However they have both trained with and taken classes with many a Hollywood choreographer and so separate from the stuff Sean has choreographed, there are endless dance class videos of them on youtube of them doing other people's choreography, both separate and together.  Also choreographers have specifically choreographed pieces for them in cast them in projects.  Like they really did a video for Tessandra Chavez and Brian Friedman put them in a music video he was choreographing/directing.  They also regularly work with Willdabeast Adams and Janelle Ginestra, amongst others, and Sean was just a groomsman at their wedding.  I also think they have both danced at plenty of events and musical events, like the Oscars, etc. 

As a duo, they have only been dancing together for about a year but coming up in the same industry classes have known each other much longer. 

ETA: Sean posts behind the scenes of their WOD pieces on his youtube channel.  You can see how he generally changes the choreography practically every day and they wind up having different versions of routines before they choose one.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

Ok, I'll start with the reasonable. The Lab should have, and did win their category easily. (I might be a little biased since they've been my pick to win the whole thing since their audition this season, but I digress). I thought Fabulous Sisters would be closer, but really that was their least successful routine by a wide number. Too many of the pictures they went for, didn't come off and it just looked really messy which I would've never guessed for them.

Secondly, I suppose S-Rank "deserved" to represent the Upper Teams based on their overall body of work....but their was something about The Ruggeds piece that was visually more interested (and how brutal for the leader guy to basically go out with an ACL injury). I loved the mystery to it even if maybe they did less actual dancing than the other two acts. I also thought maybe S-Rank peaked with their Duel Routine. To me they haven't be quite as stellar in this piece and their Cut piece too.

Then it just goes off the rails. Sean & Kaycee out in favor of Charity & Andres....ridiculous. Although I do agree with spanana, Sean & Kaycee will be fine, their are already in the elite of commercial dancers for their age range. Also I feel like WoD feels like Charity & Andres are their "discovery" more so than so many of the other acts who've populated this season.

The less said about Michael "Flaily McFlailerson" Dameski beating the otherworldly Karen y Ricardo...the better. I don't care if Karen y Ricardo carry themselves with a confidence that might read as arrogant to some, they've earned it because they threw down four of the best what 9 routines of the season and they aren't in the Final? How ludicrous is that?

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 4

It wasn't until the forward run into a summeralt that I realized that Michael Dameski was the winner of So You Think You Can Dance Australia. Admittedly, I only watch the dancing, which cuts this 2 hour show down to like 15 minutes tops. But here he is doing the same move on SYTYCD AU...

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 1

Just something that stuck out to after a rewatch with the category that included The Lab, FS, and Rock Company.

Do I think the right team won? Yes. However there is something fundamentally off about the way it happened. The Lab went first and then NeYo, JLo & Derek locked in their scores before RC & FS even had a chance to dance. Those three scores? Perfect 100s....meaning in their minds, the best RC and FS could do was to tie, not win. The scoring system as utilized by the three judges (at least Misty Copeland theoretically could have used a 100 on RC or FS to trump the 99 she gave the Lab) just feels fundamentally off, that RC and FS got up and danced basically having next to no chance because of judges scores that were locked in even before they had the opportunity to show what they could bring to the Division Finals.

Just some food for thought.

• Love 2

I am kvetchy about the results, but strangely not in the way I expected to be (I saw results before performances). I loathe Michael Dameski's dancing, so I was very grouch that he knocked out Karen y Ricardo. But I have to admit that on this night (and this night alone!), his routine was the better competition number. He and the choreography and the music were a perfect fit, and the background images took it up the extra notch that it needed.

But overall, I think Karen y Ricardo have been the better dancers. Sadly, the show doesn't work on cumulative, so grumbly, I agree that the right call was made.

Likewise, much as I adore the Fabulous Sisters, I think the Lab's number was better for the competition. I don't think it deserved 100s (the school room gimmick is so overdone!) but I do think they deserved the win. Does anyone know where Fabulous Sisters' Japanese remake of "Wrecking Ball" came from?

I realize I don't remember S-Rank's number. I wonder if I missed watching it. I loved the Rugged's though. That group came out of nowhere last round but proved it wasn't a fluke. The use of the spotlights was so good! 

Going into this episode, I loved both Charity and Andres and Sean and Kaycee. This was the one round I had no expectations and thought I would be okay with whoever won. But Sean and Kaycee got robbed! I get that rain work isn't for everyone, but their dancing was excellent and their emotion was amazing. Charity and Andres had a great set, great costumes, a great song, and a great concept, but their choreography was just off this go round. There were a lot of awkward moments in transitions, and their facial expressions (Andres in particular) were fairly blank. I think Charity may have gotten an injury bonus (which to be fair to her, I can't believe she did that choreo on a broken toe!)

I'm surprised Ashley and Zach used "Gravity" given the likelihood that the judges would be familiar with Mia Michaels' SYTYCD choreography. Their overall approach was too similar to avoid comparisons for those of us who have seen both, and unfortunately, their interpretation didn't hold a candle to Mia's.

• Love 4

So, Derek totally gave away that S-Rank won before their division was shown...

I still don't think that injuries/sad stories should be talked about right before the judging. 

I never cared too much for The Fabulous Sisters, they always seemed so frantic. Also, what was the deal with the girl in white? I didn't get her part of the story.

Michael was just amazing. I'm happy he outlasted Karen y Ricardo.

I'm sad that Sean and Kaycee are gone, I enjoyed their routines.

The Lab has some pretty impressive moves. They earned their spot.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Sd601 said:

This is World of Gymnastics, right? That’s what I’m getting out of this season. 

Evidently. *cries in Martha Graham*

6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

It wasn't until the forward run into a summeralt that I realized that Michael Dameski was the winner of So You Think You Can Dance Australia. Admittedly, I only watch the dancing, which cuts this 2 hour show down to like 15 minutes tops. But here he is doing the same move on SYTYCD AU...

I feel like he's done that diving front somersault in every one of his dances. Jaxon has definitely used it a couple times as well. I found it odd that the judges acknowledged that Karen y Ricardo use that coffee grinder thing in every one of their dances but are silent on if the contemporary dancers use the same tumbling skills over and over? This may be purely lore, but in the glory days of SYTYCD the rumour goes that Nigel told a group of auditioners not to put fouettes in their routine because he wanted to see them actually dance (I love a good fouette, but nobody needs to see the same a la seconde turns 50 times, dancer after dancer).

I love Ashley and Zack for their other work but really never loved any of their routines. I also detest using any form of rope/chain/bondage prop. I feel like it never ends up looking clean or polished. The song cover was also atrocious. I'm going to go watch Zack's Piano Man tap with Aaron to erase my memory of him on this show.

Edited by allypenguin
  • Love 2

I found it odd that the judges acknowledged that Karen y Ricardo use that coffee grinder thing in every one of their dances but are silent on if the contemporary dancers use the same tumbling skills over and over?

It's their signature move for sure, but Karen y Ricardo also change up how they do the coffee grinder. He's gone into the splits while spinning her. He's moved around her while spinning. She's sequenced slightly different variations on her body positioning. It's not literally the same move every time.

• Love 4

I wish that Derek hadn't asked about Charity's foot bandage and the judges hadn't went on about it because I want them to win or lose by their merit. I watched all the performances without the pre-performance package or the judges comments first so I had no idea she was even injured from their performance. The only difference is Andres was highlighted more in their routine. My favorite routine by them is still the one for the Cut, but this was still good. It's been said that they use too much acro in their routines but I don't think so. Their "pure dance" moments were just as fantastic. They are unlike that young ballroom acro couple who came back this year. C & A quality of movement is just a treat to watch for me, perfect combination of grace and strength. And I'm surprised none of the judges mentioned that they added ballroom steps in their routine. It was well done too.

I think Kaycee is a better dancer than Sean. She is very talented. Sean's strength is more on choreography. Their routines, except for the Duel one, are all Nappytab-lite for me. I feel like I've seen so many similar routines on the old So You Think You Can Dance. Their Duel performance was iconic, though. I was hoping to see more of that from them, not the cutesy light bulb dance or the typical dancing in the rain. I think there was a team season one who did something similar before.

The Lab are going to win this year, aren't they? They deserve it. They have been delivering clean and exciting routines consistently. Been a fan since last season.

I wonder if Michael's routine would be as impressive without the special effects. He is an amazing dancer for sure but contemporary solos often look awkward and choppy to me. Still, he is interesting to watch.

Was a big fan of Zack in SYTYCD but hated all of Ashley & Zack performances on this show. It's just a mess. He should come back as a tap dancer. He would do well.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 1

Zack apparently made a not incorrect calculation insofar as he and Ashley (somehow, and with the help of some big time connections) made it to the division finals, but he made a better calculation years ago when focusing on tap for SYTYCD. He's a good contemporary dancer -- he had a great Sonya Tayeh routine back on SYTYCD -- but far from the best in the field among men, whereas he's a way more interesting (and, IMO, better) tapper. This show loves it some contemporary duo angst, but there are couples doing that better than A&Z and were there even any tappers shown at the senior level? I'm only recalling juniors.

Actually, thinking on @allypenguin's reminder of the "Piano Man" number, maybe he and Aaron should team up for next year. ;)

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Love 2

Sean is a fabulous dancer in the right things.  Kaycee might be "better" in the sense that she has more across the board training in all types of dance.  Interestingly (to me anyway), one of the best things I've seen Sean do is broadway choreography.  On Youtube there is video of him doing West Side Story choreo from an industry class and he was fabulous.  IMO.  I think it was because he put his own style on it so it was this neat blend of his more modern take mixed with Broadway.   Put the vid in the video thread in case anyone cares.  But it made me want to see him do more Broadway type stuff.

Also in general he's that annoying teenager who is ridiculously good at everything.  He's also a fantastic chef (supposedly, since he's not cooked for me).  He won an episode of Chopped Jr. and was on some other Food Network cooking show when he was younger.  Think he also plays piano.  So he's that kid.

I did like their routine, though I'd agree that I'm not sure I liked the rain part. I got the point. I think they were just trying to figure out what to do that was different and hadn't been done, at least here in this competition.  I liked the first part of the routine until they ran to the back and did the rain thing.  I think it also bothered me that the fog covered up their feet as they did the fast part in the back so you couldn't even really see what they were doing.

Edited by spanana
14 hours ago, allypenguin said:

This may be purely lore, but in the glory days of SYTYCD the rumour goes that Nigel told a group of auditioners not to put fouettes in their routine because he wanted to see them actually dance (I love a good fouette, but nobody needs to see the same a la seconde turns 50 times, dancer after dancer).

Was it Expressenz who on this show did exactly that? Multiple turns a la seconde in every single number?  While it was impressive the first time that I saw it, it got old the second time, and I know that I would have loathed it if they continued in the competition.

• Love 1

I'm still bitter about the way the Upper Group number shook out - for sheer entertainment and uniqueness, Desi Hoppers were my absolute favorites and I still think they got totally robbed. The rest of the teams all blend together for me and are there any women in any of them?

I'm always partial to Latin Ballroom, and am so so sad about Karen y Ricardo going, but it's hard to deny that on that night, Michael's routine had that WOW factor that was near impossible to beat. I do agree that the costume and visuals contributed a lot. A LOT. to the overall feel. Had that not all been there I don't know, but if he had any influence over any of it, he definitely played it smart. I don't think there's anyway he can top himself though.

So I'm going to go with my overall next favorite pick which maybe my first pick from the beginning anyway, which is The Lab. Love those guys. They never disappoint me. I do love the Fabulous Sisters but I think last week was better. It's hard because this show is not cumulative so you're always risking peaking too early.

I know this show is a bit snarkworthy in some of the gimmicks and the judges' mannerisms, but for me, amazing dancing overcomes all that. 

• Love 5

. I do love the Fabulous Sisters but I think last week was better.

I did some Googling on Girl's Day--the Japanese holiday that they said inspired their routine. Unfortunately, I think they made a poor strategic choice to use very specifically Japanese references for a primarily non-Japanese audience. After Googling, I realized I missed the entire basic premise of their setting and choreography. Girl's Day is a holiday that involves a specific doll tableau. They were the dolls. 

I'm still not 100% clear what the role of the girl who emerged in the white kimono, but I think she was supposed to represent an actual child joining the dolls in their play and then returning to being a child at the end. She may have been the Empress doll, though. The fans may have just been East Asian silk fan work or they may have been representing purification fire.

I wish the show's intro package had explained the reference just a little bit more. 

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, spanana said:

Adding a few videos I referenced in the show thread.  Sean Lew doing Broadway choreography, which makes me want to see him more in this style.

Short clip of Sean on Chopped Jr, which he won.

Thanks for posting...Sean is a very talented young man!