Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E09: Week 9: Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

Yes!!! Simone is gone!!!

I was really hoping to be rid of Normani.  What a shame!

Apologies.. I haven't read the boards on this and really only saw the show tonite.., just curious., did both the girls take a knee during a national anthem or do something to come across vile?  They seem impressed me as gregarious, sincere, real and working hard just like I hear David does..

• Love 22

You can't set up a show where fan votes count for a good percentage of the final score and then be shocked at the results.  David and Rashad are both untrained in dance.  That's what the show used to be about. So I am glad to see them in the finals rather than one of those who are already somewhat (or a lot) trained in dance.

• Love 16

I checked out when Heather was booted. With her went the hopes of seeing some fantastic dances going head to head. I'm not surprised Simone went and it's not because of last weeks situation, it's because she and Normani are dipping out of the same vote pool. Any resemblance that this is remotely a dance competition can be put to rest. At this point the remaining contestants should just walk the stage like a Beauty pageant and let people vote.

• Love 3

Apologies.. I haven't read the boards on this and really only saw the show tonite.., just curious., did both the girls take a knee during a national anthem or do something to come across vile?  They seem impressed me as gregarious, sincere, real and working hard just like I hear David does..

I don't get the hate for Simone & Normani either.

• Love 20

I think Rashad will end up winning because of the tour. The pro lineup is extremely weak and they need whatever little push they get from having the mirrorball winner on it. Val's not on it and appears to be taking next season off so there's nothing in it for the show if he wins. David winning would be too far out there even for how manipulated the show has become. Other dark horses have made the finals but none have actually won.

This season should really serve as a huge wake up call to the manipulators and story creators on staff.....but I someone get the feeling it won't mean squat.

3 minutes ago, Venee said:

I checked out when Heather was booted. With her went the hopes of seeing some fantastic dances going head to head. 

I'm confused by statements like this. If you want to see fantastic dances going head to head then why not watching ballroom dancing competitions rather than a reality show about taking people who don't know how to dance and teaching them?

• Love 11

I'm sick of this "going on tour means winning stuff".

Alek Skarlatos went on tour and didn't win. Bindi won and didn't go on tour.

Rashad will be a weak winner when you stack him against other winners IMO. 

I'd be surprised if Normani won as much as she deserves it. The voting public just hates any talented female, it's a wonder some have managed to win. Example: the hatred towards Normani/Nancy/Simone/Heather all season, but David is just a swell ole guy who got through the dances, right?

• Love 16
(edited)

How long will the tour last?  If Rashad is sincere about wanting to get back in the NFL (and I'm sure he is)....spending more time dancing is not going to help his chances.  He now needs to show teams that he's ready to play football once again.

ETA:  I don't hate Heather, Normani, Simone or Nancy.  I do feel having Heather on the show was unfair in many ways.  Yes, she was a top-notch dancer...but then she was before the season began.  

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

The faux-shock by the judges and Erin is so eye-roll worthy. This show is really amazingly predictable if you've watched it long enough. It was obvious last week was setting up Simone's exit this week. This will come down to Rashad and Normani. If Emma drops the ball on the freestyle, Normani'll take it. The judges will score David low enough that he has no shot of winning since he's clearly the weakest link in the Final 3.

And, if I recall correctly, they usually give the Judges a final dance to score after the viewers' votes are tabulated.  So the Judges can specifically decide who wins.

IMO, they tend to try to structure the finals with one low-hanging-fruit team whom they can plausibly score into elimination to ensure a no-lose F2.

Also, why do they keep talking about "MLB giving them" David, as though he needed permission from the Commissioner to go on the show?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I think Rashad will end up winning because of the tour. The pro lineup is extremely weak and they need whatever little push they get from having the mirrorball winner on it. Val's not on it and appears to be taking next season off so there's nothing in it for the show if he wins. David winning would be too far out there even for how manipulated the show has become. Other dark horses have made the finals but none have actually won.

This season should really serve as a huge wake up call to the manipulators and story creators on staff.....but I someone get the feeling it won't mean squat.

I'm confused by statements like this. If you want to see fantastic dances going head to head then why not watching ballroom dancing competitions rather than a reality show about taking people who don't know how to dance and teaching them?

It's not a show about taking people who don't know how to dance and teaching them. If it was ,they wouldn't cast people who know how to dance.  It matters not what Julianne (whom I heard parrot that line) says, It's  what the show actually does. The tag line is  "Vote for your favorite"  If the show really was about people who don't know how to dance I wouldn't watch.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doLLish said:

I was rooting for Rashad, Normani and Simone to win before this whole thing even began but now because of the absolutely unnecessary vitriol and hate that's been thrown her way,

I haven't seen any hate or vitriol thrown at Simone.  Critiques, yes but not hate.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Uke said:

I haven't seen any hate or vitriol thrown at Simone.  Critiques, yes but not hate.

That was in reference to Normani, not Simone.

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's almost a guarantee that the likable* not-great dancer will get third at this point, so I've been fully expecting David to end up there. Looking at the last few seasons on the Wikipedia page, you've got in 3rd place: Calvin, Ginger, Alek, Noah, Janel, Candace, Jack Osborn. The only one who doesn't fit the category really is Janel, who had some natural talent even if she always went center-of-balance-akimbo on spins. And you could make the case for Calvin being more of a Rashad than a David, I suppose, but still, it's a trend. 

*I realize likable is subjective, but that is how they were promoted, whether or not you agree. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
5 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

*I realize likable is subjective, but that is how they were promoted, whether or not you agree. 

Although in her comments to David, Julianne pretty much admitted that "fan-favorite" is a euphemism for "can't dance".

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

I'm sick of this "going on tour means winning stuff".

Alek Skarlatos went on tour and didn't win. Bindi won and didn't go on tour.

I'd be surprised if Normani won as much as she deserves it. The voting public just hates any talented female, it's a wonder some have managed to win. Example: the hatred towards Normani/Nancy/Simone/Heather all season, but David is just a swell ole guy who got through the dances, right?

I loved Nancy! I actually took a real interest as she got better and better with each week.When she left I didnt give a toss who won, especially when they save a place in the finals for a certain pro! 

Right now, I hope Rashad takes it all. I'm sick of little girls dancing sexy, even for a darn Viennese waltz! Then getting a tongue bath!

14 minutes ago, doLLish said:

That was in reference to Normani, not Simone.

I don't hate her, I don't know her. I know pimping non stop when I see it.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

How is he any "weaker" than Brooke Burke, Melissa Rycroft or Amber Riley? Or, who I think was the biggest travesty of all as the winner, Nyle DiMarco?

21 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

How long will the tour last?  If Rashad is sincere about wanting to get back in the NFL (and I'm sure he is)....spending more time dancing is not going to help his chances.  He now needs to show teams that he's ready to play football once again.

I wasn't talking about the celebrity going on tour, I was talking about the pros. They've used Val to front a very weak tour lineup since they resumed doing the tours (other than the first one, where they also had Mark and Kym, if I remember right). I just don't feel a pro lineup of Sharna, Emma, Lindsay, Keo, Artem and Gleb is going to sell that many tickets, so whatever little push they can get from having MIRRORBALL WINNER Emma or Lindsay is worth it to them.

16 minutes ago, Venee said:

It's not a show about taking people who don't know how to dance and teaching them. If it was ,they wouldn't cast people who know how to dance.  It matters not what Julianne (whom I heard parrot that line) says, It's  what the show actually does. The tag line is  "Vote for your favorite"  If the show really was about people who don't know how to dance I wouldn't watch.

Yes that is the concept of the show and has been since the day it went on the air. It matters not what you want to turn throwaway lines of passing dialogue into, that is the concept of the show.

• Love 3

You can be the best dancer in the world but if you don't have 'appeal' to the viewers, you're not going to get the votes.  It's that simple.

I don't think the judges rigged Simone off.  Simone, despite her truly incredible back story, just didn't appeal to viewers.  I get that because that's how I felt.  Laurie has it.   

David and Rashad have that 'appeal'.

Normani is a great dancer but I don't know if she has as much appeal as David or Rashad.  I'm not saying that she doesn't have warmth.  She does.  However, both David and Rashad have come such a long way and aren't performers like Normani.  People like the likable underdog.

Yeah, Nancy was the most surprising contestant on this season.  I never cared for her but seeing her on this show made me like her.  She had so much joy in being there.  And she was really good.

I think there's a good chance that Rashad will win.  I have no problem with that.  Some may consider him a weak winner but there's been many that people would consider weak, winning.  It's not a dance 'contes't.  Viewers hold cards in all these competitions when they have the chance to vote.  They're not always objective.  That's the way it is.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

How is he any "weaker" than Brooke Burke, Melissa Rycroft or Amber Riley? Or, who I think was the biggest travesty of all as the winner, Nyle DiMarco?

I wasn't talking about the celebrity going on tour, I was talking about the pros. They've used Val to front a very weak tour lineup since they resumed doing the tours (other than the first one, where they also had Mark and Kym, if I remember right). I just don't feel a pro lineup of Sharna, Emma, Lindsay, Keo, Artem and Gleb is going to sell that many tickets, so whatever little push they can get from having MIRRORBALL WINNER Emma or Lindsay is worth it to them.

Yes that is the concept of the show and has been since the day it went on the air. It matters not what you want to turn throwaway lines of passing dialogue into, that is the concept of the show.

You asked why people watched if that's the concept. I told you the "concept" is not the reality. They cast excellent dancers (have season after season) that is why people like myself tend to watch, otherwise we would not.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I would put Helio right up there in the "travesties!  Julianne did a great job of hiding his ineptness!

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

I have no hate for either Simone or Normani. But here's the thing for me: Normani is always on. Not in the annoying Shirley Temple way but her facial expressions are very calculated, she poses rather than stands there, and a lot of times, I feel her interviews and roll in packages are carefully fabricated by her. So I can't connect to that. (Yup, there's that word again.) Simone, on the other hand, is emotionally unavailable and only seems to have that gymnastics smile plastered on her face, and if it's a serious dance, she's just expressionless. Again, I can't connect to that. I'm not asking for drama and histrionics, but I'd like to see something organic and natural to both of them when they perform but I personally don't see it.

So it's not hate, it's not a racial thing, it's not an anger thing. It's a disappointment thing because the flashes of personality from both of those girls have been wonderful but far and fleeting.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Venee said:

You asked why people watched if that's the concept. I told you the "concept" is not the reality. They cast excellent dancers (have season after season) that is why people like myself tend to watch, otherwise we would not.

I'm not sure what "excellent dancers" you've been watching season after season? The only ones I can think of are Nicole, Alfonso, Meryl and Heather --- all people who have professional training and one professional dancer.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

I would put Helio right up there in the "travesties!  Julianne did a great job of hiding his ineptness!

I loved Helio, was he the best dancer evah? No, but he was a joy to watch, and that's the deal. Whoever gives you joy, that's who'll you will vote for.Not some back up dancer for Beyonce, who acted like she had won

• Love 9
1 hour ago, tiredofwork said:

Apologies.. I haven't read the boards on this and really only saw the show tonite.., just curious., did both the girls take a knee 

One did that and one gave the finger to Len.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, heartsaperkin said:

One did that and one gave the finger to Len.

I'd say we should move the show to HBO for that to happen (every week, please!) but then I realized that the stripper-esque dances would become legit stripper dances with bonus pole tricks, so... eh. I guess I can deal with family friendly Disney/ABC.

• Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I'm not sure what "excellent dancers" you've been watching season after season? The only ones I can think of are Nicole, Alfonso, Meryl and Heather --- all people who have professional training and one professional dancer.

These are people who when the casts were announced considering their backgound , people like myself felt they had the potential to produce some great dance routines  so we tuned in. Drew Lachey, Mario Lopez, Mel B, Kristi Yamaguchi, Sabrina Bryant, Melissa Rycroft, Evan , Nicole, Mya, Jennifer Grey, Zendaya, Corbin, Meryl, Charlie, Alfonso, Ryker, Laurie, Mary Lou Henner, and Normani, Heather, and Simone this season..  I'm sure I'm leaving out  others (I missed a season here or there)

Edited by Venee
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Venee said:

I checked out when Heather was booted. With her went the hopes of seeing some fantastic dances going head to head. I'm not surprised Simone went and it's not because of last weeks situation, it's because she and Normani are dipping out of the same vote pool. Any resemblance that this is remotely a dance competition can be put to rest. At this point the remaining contestants should just walk the stage like a Beauty pageant and let people vote.

I think I still see u?

Nice people at the final, pros and c lebs. Even walking.

O, and Val.

1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

Smile.

1 minute ago, gimmeegimmeegim said:

I think I still see u?

Nice people at the final, pros and c lebs. Even walking.

O, and Val.

Check out as in not invested  in the outcome..... 

9 minutes ago, Venee said:

These are people who when the casts were announced considering their backgound , people like myself felt they had the potential to produce some great dance routines  so we tuned in. Drew Lachey, Mario Lopez, Mel B, Kristi Yamaguchi, Sabrina Bryant, Melissa Rycroft, Evan , Nicole, Mya, Jennifer Grey, Zendaya, Corbin, Meryl, Charlie, Alfonso, Ryker, Laurie, Mary Lou Henner, and Normani, Heather, and Simone this season..  I'm sure I'm leaving out  others (I missed a season here or there)

I wouldn't consider half those people to be "excellent dancers" but whatever floats your boat.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I wouldn't consider half those people to be "excellent dancers" but whatever floats your boat.

YMMV and there were some mixed results (I definitely thought Mary Lou would be better than she was. Having seen her performances from "Chicago" I was surprised)  My  point is, you asked what brings folks like me to the table and I answered. 

• Love 2

I hope TPTB are happy. They nitpicked Simone to death (far more than any other contestant), gave her the longest, most dragged out redemption arc ever, and now the judges act shocked she was eliminated. Ew. Carrie Ann doing a lame somersault in front of a gold medal Olympic gymnast made me throw up in my mouth a little. 

One thing I really like is Sasha and Emma's relationship. There's just enough PDA that you don't forget they're engaged, but not so much as to be annoying or aggravating. You could tell he was super excited for Emma to be in the finale. So sweet. 

I'm tired of David. I liked him at first but this aw shucks humble guy thing is just wearing on my nerves. And I say that as a Cubs fan who was at the Cubs parade in the second row on Michigan Ave. and has a great shot of David on the double decker bus! 

My daughter is dyslexic so I could really relate to Rashad's story, especially knowing that he would have been diagnosed in the days when there was limited intervention. It's tough. I'm so glad he mentioned it in his package. 

• Love 6

I thought Rashad was great tonight.  As an athletic person working on deleting old muscle memory to create new technique, I am impressed how far he has come on some more complicated dance techniques.  I have hope for myself LOL!

Simone was decent in the first dance but back to robotic second dance.  I never realized how much maturity played in this show.  I was shocked when she was eliminated.

Im about done with David as well but he's been fun to watch.   And I say that as an Indians fan.  He's been great.

Normani has been consistent all season.  I don't see as much improvement but she is entertaining.  Her legs looked odd to me in the second dance so I was shocked when the judges were loving it.  They bothered me the entire time.  Still I will be surprised if Val lays the giant egg.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, tessaforever said:

One thing I really like is Sasha and Emma's relationship. There's just enough PDA that you don't forget they're engaged, but not so much as to be annoying or aggravating. You could tell he was super excited for Emma to be in the finale. So sweet. 

You mean you don't want to see them in 50 People magazine articles a day talking about all their first dates since the baby was born? LOL

• Love 8
2 hours ago, milner said:

You can't set up a show where fan votes count for a good percentage of the final score and then be shocked at the results.  David and Rashad are both untrained in dance.  That's what the show used to be about. So I am glad to see them in the finals rather than one of those who are already somewhat (or a lot) trained in dance.

But the untrained only works on this show if you're male.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I want to see David win just because.  But both Normani and Rashad are deserving and I wouldn't be upset with a win by any of the three.  

Simone is an amazing gymnast and I love her there.  But her dancing never did a thing for me.  I'd watch her eyes and they were always cutting to the side, like she was looking for a clue as to what came next.  She never once seemed connected to Sasha in any way, and I couldn't care less that she was eliminated before the finale.

My thoughts exactly.  It's funny you mentioned her eyes, because when she said her second dance was a rumba, I predicted she'd have a hard time with the sensuality of the dance and looking into Sasha's eyes, and sure enough, she never looked at him even once.  

I don't think the judges "nit-picked" Simone at all - they said her dancing needed more authenticity or feeling or vulnerability, and they were right.  I think she applied her gymnastics and Olympian mentality to the competition - work really hard and you'll achieve the goal/gold, but instead of giving her good advice about how to improve her performances beyond hard work (as we saw in the intro package), Sasha told her she was indeed good enough.  Whoops!

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Uke said:

I've noticed back-handed compliments.

2 hours ago, F. M. said:

I don't hate her, I don't know her. I know pimping non stop when I see it.

Bindi must've really grated on you. 

Edited by crossover
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, tessaforever said:

On the other side of the coin, she seemed completely crushed for him when he and Simone got the boot.

I don't get why you all think the judges were feigning shock.  I think that looked real to me.  Yes, they nitpicked Simone.  But I don't think they had any way of knowing that that might contribute to her ouster.  Everything about that felt real to me.  Their reaction was the main thing that really helps me know, for sure, that not even they know who's going.

• Love 3
(edited)

For all the talk of Normani being pimped, David has been equally pimped.  You think TPTB are not aware of the middle-aged, middle- of-the-country housefraus that find him so charming?  He should never have been scored over a three.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 11

That's what the show used to be about. So I am glad to see them in the finals rather than one of those who are already somewhat (or a lot) trained in dance.

Literally the first season of this show had contestants with dance training, including Trista Sutter who danced professionally with the Miami Heat. This show has never been restricted to stars with no dance training.

I'm from Chicago, so there's a part of me that would love it if David wins. I think Normani deserves it on skill, though. Rashad is quite good, and I won't be upset if he wins. So I'm guaranteed to be happy.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

That's the original concept of the show.  But TPTB realized that most of the public just voted on who they liked to see.  Most don't know enough about dance to see who improved the most (learn to dance the best).  So they changed it to your favorite.  The judges are still suppose to score on improvement.  But sometimes they have an agenda and don't follow through each week.  Most times they just score on how well the celeb executed/performed but not the improvement angle.  I can see an improvement in Normani.  In week 1, there was so much space between Val and her.  Not anymore.  She doesn't have training in ballroom dance but she does have dance training.  So did she improve more than Rashad?  She most definitely performs better.

2 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I don't think the judges rigged Simone off.  Simone, despite her truly incredible back story, just didn't appeal to viewers.  I get that because that's how I felt.  Laurie has it.  

The show has been sniding Simone for a couple of weeks.  They didn't put up a positive package on her either during that time.  They were trying to manipulate the voters against her.  It worked.  I call that rigging.  Tonight she had the best packages, best comments and best scores.  They knew she was leaving so they no longer had to manipulate.

2 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Speaking of hiding ineptness, no one did a better job than Derek of masking Bindi.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, crossover said:

They were trying to manipulate the voters against her.  It worked. 

Why would they do this?  I can see people thinking the judges maybe do this (I disagree), but the producers?  It makes no sense. 

I think a better case for sabotage can be made in regards to Heather.  I knew her only from Glee, only you'd never know it going by how the show seemed to think her one and only job was as a backup dancer for Beyonce.  But even then, I think their intention was more about being conscious about casting a professional dancer as opposed to wanting her booted off early.

(edited)

David deserves to win just for going along with the lemon squeezing. I love how game that man is.

Loved Normani's grandma and Rashad's older brothers. How cool that they took coaching jobs just to help put him through college.

Len asked Normani and Val to do a proper VW, and they ended up dancing to Rihanna. SMH. Why do they almost never use classical waltz music on this show? Are the royalties more expensive than for pop music, or are they worried the audience won't relate to music they don't usually listen to?

I hated how the judges treated Simone. She's had such a tough childhood (though notice that she's never used it as a sob story in any of her packages), of course it's going to be hard to emotionally open up on a cheesy dance show. At the same time, I didn't think she was a natural fit for the show in the same way that Laurie was, so I'm not too upset that she didn't make the finals.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Callaphera said:

I have no hate for either Simone or Normani. But here's the thing for me: Normani is always on. Not in the annoying Shirley Temple way but her facial expressions are very calculated, she poses rather than stands there, and a lot of times, I feel her interviews and roll in packages are carefully fabricated by her. So I can't connect to that. (Yup, there's that word again.) Simone, on the other hand, is emotionally unavailable and only seems to have that gymnastics smile plastered on her face, and if it's a serious dance, she's just expressionless. Again, I can't connect to that. I'm not asking for drama and histrionics, but I'd like to see something organic and natural to both of them when they perform but I personally don't see it

Yes, both girls have a "screen" face.  Seeing both of these girls background, I can see why they do.  They're very defensive and unsure of people's motives.  They're just 20.  They'll learn.  In fact, maybe the show helped.  But Normani shows real emotions when she performs.  You can tell how much she loves dance.

• Love 7

The little robot never connected.  Her brief valedictory fully confirmed her lack of emotional buy-in.  I sincerely hope she did grow.  She is an all-time champion athlete and unlike so many of these, seems to be a very fine person.  Good luck to her.

Didja notice there was not a single shot of David once it was announced he was safe?  No coinkydink.  In that moment, he became a villain for many.  Anything he did was going to be seen through an exceedingly dark prism by many.

This was a very, very good semi-final ep.  Everyone brought it and hit the mark (except the mediocre singers).  Well done.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, crossover said:

I've noticed back-handed compliments.

Bindi must've really grated on you. 

No, not at all. I don't believe she was a dancer, so I enjoyed the journey. LOL.

3 hours ago, crossover said:

But the untrained only works on this show if you're male.

How so? 

• Love 1