Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network Star Alums

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I wonder if Lenny was that guy in Baltimore with all the candy bars strapped on him under a vest. (Maybe if they were Pay Day bars.)

The one dressed as a giant Panda?  I could see that :)

On 4/23/2016 at 4:07 PM, Janimo said:

Lenny looks very different in that video clip...at least to me...lost some weight maybe?

Outside the window where he's playing definitely doesn't look like Florida - More like the Northeast, actually.  Makes me wonder if that was actually an older video he just posted now because of Prince's death.

Last night I fell asleep with the TV on and woke up about 4 AM to an infomercial with a man and woman touting Food Saver (or something like that).  I'm about 95% positive that the female was Nikki from a few seasons ago.  I can't remember her last name but she was the annoying Girl on Grill contestant who was convinced she was the last word in FNS competitions.

Nikki Martin, dark-haired woman not to be confused with the blonde Nikki Dinki (I'm sorry, but I'd change my name).

Yep.  I thought I recognized her.  Thanks. 

I've always thought that Nikki Dinki sounds like a name in a cartoon.  I'd change it too.

• Love 1

I saw the same commercial the other night, and that was Nicki.  Actually, I was told that she'd married and Dinky wasn't her last name anymore, but she kept her old name for name recognition.

I liked Michele Rigussis on her season and thought that she was better than Justin Warner.  I kept in touch with Michele for quite a while after the show was over.  She has spent the past five years in New England, working her tail off as a seafood chef, entering competitions and winning some of them, cheffing on a cruise, and doing everything possible for more experience.  She's a dedicated chef.  So far this season, she hasn't done well, and I'm certain it's a case of nerves.  She wants a show on the FN so badly, and this could be her last chance.

If anyone wants to get in touch with Michele, go to her website (www.ChefOnAPier.com). She has just recently been named chef at a restaurant in Providence, R.I., and is itching to get started.

• Love 1

I'm going to duck...(and not even sure if this the best thread for it)...but I find Matthew (yes, Grunwald) and Dom incredibly attractive and sexy.  Annoying as Matthew may be (and far too young for me, as a 30-something year old), wow, the boy looks good. Better in some clips/shows than others (like Star Salvation had me salivating) and Dom, well, I can see why Geeeaaaaada LBH, thought he was a panty dropper.

Personality-wise, though, it was hands-down Jay. I interacted with him some online and he was just as kind and genuine as he seemed to be on the show.

I really hate the phrase "cheat day" and I didn't like Aaron's schtick, but he seems like an okay guy. :)

On 5/12/2016 at 11:05 PM, mlp said:

Yep.  I thought I recognized her.  Thanks. 

I've always thought that Nikki Dinki sounds like a name in a cartoon.  I'd change it too.

There's a cartoon called Pinkie Dinky Doo.... :D

FWIW I finally got around to making the Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf from the last episode of Damaris's series and it came out pretty damn good.  The final topping didn't work for me (probably because fresh grated Romano which is all I had is not the same as ground parm which was what was intended), but the taste and texture were spot on - maybe double up on the sauce..  Will make again.

• Love 2

Did anyone watch Eddie Jackson's new show last night? I can't stand all the kids shows they're doing now but I want to support him (and he's fun to watch), so I'm torn...

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Katie Lee has a show called Beach Bites which I just now am seeing commercials for. Maybe that's going to be her focus from now on.

In true CC fashion they aired the pilot for it last year before picking it up. I'm not a seafood or Katie Lee fan so I've avoided it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Katie Lee has a show called Beach Bites which I just now am seeing commercials for. Maybe that's going to be her focus from now on.

Noooo!!!

And I just got my hopes up minutes ago when I read a post in the FNS Alum thread that commented that at least The Kitchen has quit trying to make Katie Lee "a thing".

I don't can't won't "get" her. She's like a bad penny. That never gets spent, just used as change.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Has anyone watched The Kitchen lately? Seems they've dialed it down some and have stopped making Katie Lee a thing.

I watch it every week, although why I don't know because it annoys me no end.  I haven't noticed them dialing down the constant over the top yelling all that much if that's what you're talking about.  OK, on second thought, maybe they have a little bit on the most recent eps - Let's hope it's a trend.

There is a Guy's Grocery Games on with past winners of FNS playing for charity. According to the info, the names are Aaron McCargo, Jr., Damaris Phillips, Justin Warner and Eddie Jackson and it appears that today, June 5, is the first airing.

• Love 1

Hmm.  I like three of them!  Might be fun.

I think all of these shows are in part auditions to see who if anyone develops a natural on-air persona or following. Thus, I don't mind so much the repeat customers showing up on FN Star - Cutthroat Kitchen & Chopped can function in part as tryouts, warranting additional on-air tryouts & development. It also allows the network to see who is easy to work with, and who is a PITA.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched it, it was cute. Eddie and Damaris were eliminated first in a double elimination. Justin Warner was his usual smug self, especially when he lost to Aaron McCargo.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, cooksdelight said:

It will probably rerun later tonight, check your schedule.

I am sure it will or I can catch it On Demand.  I used to enjoy Aaron's show when it was on.

I can't stand Justin Warner and I like Aaron so I was happy he won.  I thought Eddie's second dish should have won over Justin's which didn't appeal to me at all.  Damaris is very cute but her shtick gets tedious after about 10 minutes. 

I didn't see Guy's season of NFNS so I wasn't familiar with the guest judge but I liked him much, much, much better than Melissa who was mercifully absent.  I wish they'd replace her with him.  Or anybody.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, mlp said:

I can't stand Justin Warner and I like Aaron so I was happy he won.  I thought Eddie's second dish should have won over Justin's which didn't appeal to me at all.  Damaris is very cute but her shtick gets tedious after about 10 minutes. 

I didn't see Guy's season of NFNS so I wasn't familiar with the guest judge but I liked him much, much, much better than Melissa who was mercifully absent.  I wish they'd replace her with him.  Or anybody.

Who was the guest judge?

I'm sorry but I didn't catch his name.  He was 30ish I think and had his head shaved.  I looked at the episode blurb on the FN site but it doesn't mention the judges.

I watched this too - I vaguely remembered the guest judge's face from Guy's season.  I think his name was Nathan Lyon.  In general, I enjoyed this show.  It was nice to see Aaron again.  He doesn't annoy me as much as he used to.  Made me want to see him again.  It was also nice to see Damaris - so I guess she really hasn't left Food Network altogether.  I'm hoping that's a trend too but not keeping my hopes up.  At one point it looked like she had something in her teeth in one of her talking heads.

37 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I am thoroughly enjoying Eddie on the Kids BBQ Championship.  He is warm, helpful, knowledgeable, and fun.  I hope he has a long, happy career on the Food Network. 

Except his POV was "cheat day" which somehow evolved into "Caribbean Flavors", so of course FN sticks him on barbeque shows. I don't even want to go into how racist that seems to me.

• Love 1

FN already knows what kind of show they want to be as their "new" show, they use this farce to find someone they can squeeze into that format to host it. It's been rare that a contestant has a unique idea that works for the execs... such as Sandwich King or $10 Dinners. Both of which are gone. Guy Fieri is their golden child and so far no one has topped him. Successful shows, yes, but no one with the longevity he has had.

• Love 3

^^ Agree, Cooks.  Joy and Monterey are the 2 I think they have their eyes on, because they both seem comfortable enough in front of the camera, pleasant looking & sounding and either could be "molded" to fit into whatever 22 minute segments they already have themed out.  

I'll say that Jeff Mauro is my all-time favorite winner from this show.  I love him on "The Kitchen" and use a lot of his recipes that aren't just sandwiches.  But I love his sandwiches!  

• Love 1

I enthusiastically agree about Jeff. During his season he stuck with the sandwich pov. Erin should take note. There is no how-to strictly dessert program now. She should stay on the path and dessertify every challenge. Here's a  title for the program: Just Desserts. 

• Love 2

With all the talk about Yaku's bushy beard, do you remember Reuben from Florida, a few seasons back? His beard bothered me then, also. But today he's trimmed it way back. I am friends with him on FB and he posts a photo each day of the Sandwich of the Day at the Miami airport restaurant where he works. Great looking food. And he is so much more handsome with just a slight beard. 

Hair in my food would never bother me but, but, but maybe Yaku's beard?  Yeah, I think so.  It was not attractive in the first place and way too present.  It was not a casual beard.  FN does not want that, thus his departure.  Not his food, not his presentation....his appearance.  I believe that. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

FN already knows what kind of show they want to be as their "new" show, they use this farce to find someone they can squeeze into that format to host it. It's been rare that a contestant has a unique idea that works for the execs... such as Sandwich King or $10 Dinners. Both of which are gone. Guy Fieri is their golden child and so far no one has topped him. Successful shows, yes, but no one with the longevity he has had.

My recollection of Melissa's year is that $10 dinners was the network's call.  Certainly no one has topped Guy Fieri but the Network actually has a pretty good record of using these people in other shows. Alums continue to pop up as judges and talking heads on various FN and Cooking Channel shows.  Yes, the show is the show but I think the chance at food network "stardom" is more real than most non-money competition shows on TV.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

So glad to hear it for Jay!

i know.  He is head and shoulders above this year's crew.  If he had been on this season, he would have walked away with it IMO.

Seeing Jay's news made me think, who are other former contestants who did not win their season, but certainly could have taken some other ones.

For me, it is Kelsey Nixon and Martie Duncan.  I thought that both of these ladies were excellent.