Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network Star Alums

• Start Topic

On this week's Bobby and Damaris show I found out that when he was a teenager, Bobby worked at a pizzeria in Manhattan.  A photo of him at that time flashed on the screen.  He wasn't that good looking, IMO, LOL. 

12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Premieres tomorrow night at 10 pm.

Thanks, I'm bummed though because the Cooking Channel is not carried in HD on Comcast. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

On this week's Bobby and Damaris show I found out that when he was a teenager, Bobby worked at a pizzeria in Manhattan.  A photo of him at that time flashed on the screen.  He wasn't that good looking, IMO, LOL. 

Thanks, I'm bummed though because the Cooking Channel is not carried in HD on Comcast. 

Do they carry it at all? I have Verizon Fios and CC is a premium channel that I pay for in both regular and HD.

9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I just went back and looked at this episode. In the beginning when she and Bobby are talking, you can see she is wearing a pink plaid shirt untucked over blue jeans. When she goes into the kitchen, she puts on an apron over her still untucked shirt that has a wide darker beige band with an ecru colored bottom. When she turns around you can see the apron is tied in the back over her untucked shirt. No skin, no spanx - just an apron.

This apron:  https://www.heirloomedcollection.com/view-all/waist-apron-rolling-pin-oatmeal

I guess I need a bigger teevee. :D

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess I need a bigger teevee. :D

Oh so you thought the apron was her skin?  LOL.  Sorry I just had to laugh, but truthfully it took me a few episodes to really wrap my mind around that apron.  At first I thought it was part of her top.  Then the next episode I thought maybe it was a separate sash or something.  Then I realized it was part of the apron.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Do they carry it at all? I have Verizon Fios and CC is a premium channel that I pay for in both regular and HD.

Yes, Comcast carries the Cooking Channel, but only in low-def.  And I'm bummed because some of my favorite channels aren't carried in HD on Comcast.  Don't get me started.....

14 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I saw a commercial where Damaris is on another show with a bearded guy. Cannot remember what it was, but that’s now 3 shows total she’s had.

That's what we really need. Three shows with Damaris.

• Love 1
On 6/23/2017 at 1:08 AM, Lura said:

NO!  NO!  NO!  Say it isn't so!  Is "Farmhouse Rules" really being cancelled? 

Can't say that I'll miss her show. I always found Fuller to be incredibly abrasive and generally unpleasant.

Edited by WritinMan
Typo
  • Love 2
On 10/8/2017 at 2:15 PM, cooksdelight said:

Cooking Channel is amping it up, as far as the shows I like to watch.

It’s weird that they’re ramping up original programming in the midst of rumors it’s being merged with Food. Also appears Guy’s Big Project is going to be a bit like FNS except They are clear it’s for a traveling show. Already sounds better than current FNS though...

Edited by Skyfall

Who is the guy in the middle with the TinTin hair? Also, noticing that Eddie is wearing an boring/ugly tan sweater while the others are wearing the colors of Christmas tree lights. Eddie should be in red or another bright color.

3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Who is the guy in the middle with the TinTin hair? Also, noticing that Eddie is wearing an boring/ugly tan sweater while the others are wearing the colors of Christmas tree lights. Eddie should be in red or another bright color.

All Eddie needs in that photo is a communicator pin and he'd look like he's wearing a Star Trek uniform!

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

It's Ree Drummond! You know that!

I have no clue who that is!  How should I know that?  I am off to google her now. 

ETA.  I have never seen The Pioneer Woman.  I only watch competition shows on FN.  Mystery solved :^)

Edited by wings707

I watched one and a half Bobby and Demaris shows and realized this is the real world realization of the imaginary show FNS are competing for.  "That's a great tip!" beams Bobby after some Demaris nugget.  And Stories!!! about their real lives that we don't care about.  And dull as dishwater.

• Love 2

I tried to watch Bobby and Damaris twice, and bailed because Damaris was too irritating to watch any further. I also tried that Southern and Hungry show, but again, Damaris irritated me. She couldn't just let the guest chef talk, she had to make stupid faces and proclaim, "WOW!" and "I had NO idea!" Just irritating to watch. I didn't watch her season of FNS but don't like her on the competition shows where she does the fake kung fu -ish fighting moves. Her SnS was okay except for the "personal" parts, like her friends coming over to look at dresses, but I don't like those in any show. Come to think of it, I don't really like any of the travel and eat shows so I probably wouldn't have liked the Southern and Hungry show even if she wasn't on it. 

Can't stand Ree's voice, but I liked a lot of the recipes on her website. She didn't write or create them, and used to answer questions about why do you do something, such as add a stick of butter, with "Because it's good." She didn't know, but she took private cooking classes with an award-winning chef and took photography lessons from an award-winning photographer. I cannot remember who they were now, because the fighting in the comments got so bad that she deleted the posts where she addressed it. She had hired a certified teacher to homeschool her kids, and her homeschool fans went mad that she wasn't doing the schooling like she made it sound in her posts. She had professional help with her site and you would have thought she was suggesting that everyone kick puppies. People were posting all over her website to trash her, and she ended up just deleting some of the posts completely since they couldn't keep up on deleting the comments. It was crazy; just don't go to her site if you don't like her or don't like that she has professionals do some of the work.

The reason I came here originally was to post that Justin Warner has had small parts in each new episode of Food: Fact or Fiction. The first time I saw him, he was one of the "friends" of Bobby who was choosing someone to beat him on Beat Bobby Flay. I thought he was obnoxious to the extreme and would never watch any show he was on. Bobby actually had to tell him to shut up once, because he was blathering on and on in a "Look at me!" context. I tried to watch a bit of the show he had on FN.com, but didn't like him there, either. His personality is as off-putting as Ree's voice. He comes across fine in Food: Fact or Fiction but the other guests are much more polished and engaging. He hasn't cooked, but he tells a bit of history about the subject matter of the episode and does it kinda clinical, not flashy and obnoxious like I've seen him before.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2017 at 7:26 PM, cooksdelight said:

Rae’s food is consistently good, my Dad loves her show.

As you know my 90 year old Dad loves her show too, and he's never cooked and has never to my knowledge watched FN before now either, so imagine my surprise at finding out he even knew who Rhee Drummond was let alone loved her show!

17 hours ago, Totale said:

I watched one and a half Bobby and Demaris shows and realized this is the real world realization of the imaginary show FNS are competing for.  "That's a great tip!" beams Bobby after some Demaris nugget.  And Stories!!! about their real lives that we don't care about.  And dull as dishwater.

10 hours ago, Christina said:

I tried to watch Bobby and Damaris twice, and bailed because Damaris was too irritating to watch any further. I also tried that Southern and Hungry show, but again, Damaris irritated me. She couldn't just let the guest chef talk, she had to make stupid faces and proclaim, "WOW!" and "I had NO idea!" Just irritating to watch. I didn't watch her season of FNS but don't like her on the competition shows where she does the fake kung fu -ish fighting moves. Her SnS was okay except for the "personal" parts, like her friends coming over to look at dresses, but I don't like those in any show. Come to think of it, I don't really like any of the travel and eat shows so I probably wouldn't have liked the Southern and Hungry show even if she wasn't on it.

FN seems to think they have "chemistry" (seriously?), and judging from Demaris' insufferable antics, she's playing up the silly to be the comedy to Bobby's "straight man" personality.  Plus I think some of her irritating behavior is motivated by nerves because she feels slightly uncomfortable being with Bobby.  It's just hard to watch.

• Love 2

From Cory Bahr, a public post:

Becoming a chef has been a 20 + year endeavor. More hours than I like to think about. Lots of not great decisions, successes, fun, heartache but all the while trying to do the best I could to please people. My goal was to become the best chef I could be, I’m still working on that but being a chef was always my goal. Which brings me to my point of people who detract from my chosen profession by arbitrarily calling themselves chef this or that. Simply because you were on an episode of some show on tv or can pull off an occasional dinner party a that does not make you a chef. I can buy a cape and tights but that won’t make me Superman, I’d just be a dude in tights. Thanks for your time, rant over.

• Love 8

I agree with Cory and have written a small rant about that very thing from time to time.  I blame FN for some of it because they started long ago calling even KIDS on their various shows "chef" - which they are not.  I think what surprises me the most is that I occasionally hear people who actually are chefs call the kids "chef."  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

From Cory Bahr, a public post:

Becoming a chef has been a 20 + year endeavor. More hours than I like to think about. Lots of not great decisions, successes, fun, heartache but all the while trying to do the best I could to please people. My goal was to become the best chef I could be, I’m still working on that but being a chef was always my goal. Which brings me to my point of people who detract from my chosen profession by arbitrarily calling themselves chef this or that. Simply because you were on an episode of some show on tv or can pull off an occasional dinner party a that does not make you a chef. I can buy a cape and tights but that won’t make me Superman, I’d just be a dude in tights. Thanks for your time, rant over.

Yeah it's a bitch.  I try to get my kids to call me Your Majesty and they refuse.  

• Love 2

So I was gearing up for the new season of Drag Race and saw that one of the contestants was a Miss Gay America winner.  After clicking through the wikipedia page for that pageant... guess who I saw was the 2017 winner!?  Ms Suzy Wong!! aka Arnold Myint from season 11 of Next Food Network Star ... and season 7 of Top Chef ... can season 11 of RuPauls Drag Race be far behind??

Edited by AntManBee
  • Love 4

I didn't dislike Dom but I wasn't impressed with him either.  I've always liked Viet going all the way back to a cooking in the wilderness show I can't recall the name of even before he won ICA.  I was disappointed he didn't do better on FNS and I was delighted that he won tonight.  

• Love 1

Guy Fieeddi and Jeff Mauro both scored a spot on the cover of the FN Magazine 10th birthday issue. Guy continues to annoy me and IMO FNS is worthless now but those two at least prove the show could actually find a legit star at one time

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

I really love Jeff Mauro. Something about him, he seems genuine and his food has always looked great. His show The Sandwich King was nominated for an Emmy, but he lost to Bobby Flay. 

I love Jeff too.  So smart, witty, knows his stuff in the kitchen and sure seems to be genuine. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Eddie’s on now with his outdoor cooking show. He is such a good show host.

Totally agree. I was thinking about FN star winners this morning (I need a life) and I think one thing that both of this season's "winners" lack is natural charisma. Eddie has tons of charisma and a natural presence on camera and I think he is the last winner you could say that about. Either that is hard to find or no one talented wants to audition for FN anymore.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:53 AM, Yeah No said:

I recognized Jamika Pessoa from Food Network Star about 9 years ago.  Proof that losers can end up getting a show if they persist, and are lucky.  Let's hope it happens sooner with Manny!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/shows/2018/7/lets-eat

For some reason, they have decided to try and make Jamika happen.  She was on FNS Redemption last year, she's a judge on this Summer Cookoff show and now she was in the pilot today.  Let's Eat is just The Kitchen Sink with a different name and cast.  Seriously, it's like those crime shows and Westerns where they'd take a script from another crime show or Western, change the names and make an episode of a different show .  And if it doesn't get any better than what aired today, it won't be around any longer than The Kitchen Sink.   It was seriously awkward and awful.   Badly directed, badly produced and zero--no, negative--chemistry between the hosts.    

17 minutes ago, Maverick said:

For some reason, they have decided to try and make Jamika happen.  She was on FNS Redemption last year, she's a judge on this Summer Cookoff show and now she was in the pilot today.  Let's Eat is just The Kitchen Sink with a different name and cast.  Seriously, it's like those crime shows and Westerns where they'd take a script from another crime show or Western, change the names and make an episode of a different show .  And if it doesn't get any better than what aired today, it won't be around any longer than The Kitchen Sink.   It was seriously awkward and awful.   Badly directed, badly produced and zero--no, negative--chemistry between the hosts.    

Thanks for the warning, I was afraid of that.  I didn't know it was on today but I have set my DVR to record it on Tuesday when it re-airs.

If she failed once on FNS, then failed on the redemption show, then WTF is she doing hosting a show?  It's like FN is determined to fail.  They don't know WTF they're doing anymore.  It's like the definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Jamika did well on the Redemption show last year.  She should have won a spot back on the main show, but FN still had a hardon for Matthew and gave him his 7th chance instead.   She's still polished on both shows she's on, but something was off in the Let's Eat show.  I can't figure out if her personality is contributing to the lack of chemistry or the other two bland hosts are causing her personality to read as Jess-style fake.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2018 at 5:32 PM, HyeChaps said:

So there’s Christian on The Kitchen and judging on the Thanksgiving competition, but where’s Jess?

The way of Justin Werner I hope. Don’t get me wrong I love Justin, I HATE Jess.