Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network Star Alums

• Start Topic

Every time I click on this thread I swear I forgot Tregaye actually won FNS.  That's how memorable the last season is.

At least Justin Warner is popping up as a judge on Guy's Grocery Games.  He's not that obnoxious (although his hair is).

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Every time I click on this thread I swear I forgot Tregaye actually won FNS.  That's how memorable the last season is.

At least Justin Warner is popping up as a judge on Guy's Grocery Games.  He's not that obnoxious (although his hair is).

His hair is awful.  I see that it is very thick and difficult to find a cut and style that works.  He won't succumb to a more traditional cut because he wants to be different.  I get that; too bad his stylist could not come up with something better that would please him.  I don't like him but I get a kick out of the other chefs teasing him in a cute way.  It helps me tolerate him. 

• Love 1
On 10/25/2016 at 4:36 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Justin Warner has a new cooking show on Twitch, a streaming service owned by Amazon, according to this article from Variety earlier today.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/twitch-justin-warner-live-roker-media-1201898909/

So instead of the show on a major food network he was supposed to have, he finally ends up with a show on a streaming service I have never heard of. Well, at least that's more than Lenny McNab has.

• Love 1
On 10/31/2016 at 7:38 PM, GaT said:

So instead of the show on a major food network he was supposed to have, he finally ends up with a show on a streaming service I have never heard of. Well, at least that's more than Lenny McNab has.

He would have had his show on FN has he not bucked the system and demanded a travel show. Alton did one show with him, it bombed, and that was it. The kid thought he was all that and a bag of chips. He wasn't.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

He would have had his show on FN has he not bucked the system and demanded a travel show. Alton did one show with him, it bombed, and that was it. The kid thought he was all that and a bag of chips. He wasn't.

Are the pickins that slim?  Was FN trying to be edgy, resulting in ousted management being replaced by completely clueless idiots?

Maybe chefs with an ounce of self-respect don't want to be saddled with a bunch of nonsense.  Our - the viewers - loss.

Since I don't know where else to post it - New FN Management - you have always showed captions on your lower screen which are now obscured by ridiculous bouncy images promoting alternative programming.  STOP IT!!!  IT MAKES ME ALL-CAPS  ANGRY!!!

• Love 6

Alton sort of took on Justin as his personal project, I think. I was seated near Alton on a flight to Los Angeles and when I asked him about Justin's show... where was it, when would it air.... he got a funny look on his face and said "We're working on it now." From what I remember being reported, Justin didn't want to do a stand-and-stir in a studio. The show he did one episode of, was expensive. And he was untried, new, no real audience yet. 

• Love 2

I wonder how Tregaye feels about the fact that both of the finalists on Great Food Truck Race had shows on air within a week of the finale and her show still appears to be in limbo.

• Love 3
On 10/31/2016 at 4:37 PM, wings707 said:

His hair is awful.  I see that it is very thick and difficult to find a cut and style that works.  He won't succumb to a more traditional cut because he wants to be different.  I get that; too bad his stylist could not come up with something better that would please him.  I don't like him but I get a kick out of the other chefs teasing him in a cute way.  It helps me tolerate him. 

Yeah the Eddie Munster look on him is just, well, creepy.

On 10/31/2016 at 7:38 PM, GaT said:

He also had a video short series on FN called "Foodie Call":

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/food-network-original-videos/foodie-call/foodie-call-justin-warner.html

11 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I wonder how Tregaye feels about the fact that both of the finalists on Great Food Truck Race had shows on air within a week of the finale and her show still appears to be in limbo.

When she was on "The Kitchen" Sunny mentioned that Tregaye would be joining "The Kitchen Sink" but no mention was made of when the new season would start.

• Love 2

I never saw the season of FNS he was on, but the first time I saw him on a show, he was a judge and I found him to be arrogant and an attention hog. The other judge was just kind of staring at him, but I don't remember which show. Then, I saw him on GGG as a contestant, and he didn't make anything I would want to eat. I don't judge him for that, though, because they can only do so much with the arbitrary rules they are given. The judges also didn't seem to care for what he made, yet cut others, and I thought I could see his head swell. He is even more insufferable as a judge on that show. Surprisingly, the judges tend to be the reason I can't watch that show; I expected it to be Guy. There is a blond woman who is awful.

Someone on PTV told me who he was after I mentioned seeing him on something, and couldn't imagine watching a show he hosted. In the interview posted above, it started off sounding like he was acknowledging that he had an ego when he was first beginning his career in cooking, and I thought there would be an acknowledgment of change, but it certainly didn't come across to me. He blames his lack of FN show on the 50-year-old demographic not wanting to watch him, but I'm not fifty. It seems that a lot of people didn't want to watch him.

Whether it is a cooking show or gaming, I'm guessing his personality is just one I wouldn't enjoy watching. He doesn't seem evil, so I don't wish him ill, but I won't be watching. That may change, however, if someone watches and says he isn't as arrogant as he used to be, then I might give it a chance.

• Love 4

I think you've summed up Justin Warner very nicely, Christina.  I can't stand him.  The awful blonde woman is another FNS alum, Melissa d'Arabian.  Ugh.  The only FN person I dislike more than those two is Robert Irvine.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, mlp said:

I think you've summed up Justin Warner very nicely, Christina.  I can't stand him.  The awful blonde woman is another FNS alum, Melissa d'Arabian.  Ugh.  The only FN person I dislike more than those two is Robert Irvine.  

Melissa d'Arabian has a very specific purpose on GGG - by comparison she makes Catherine McCord seem much less annoying than she is.

• Love 3

Melissa's vocal fry drives me to drink. But I've tried some of her recipes and they're pretty good. Damaris Phillips has the BEST recipes, of all the past winners. If you are on Facebook, look up Jeff Mauro on the Food Network page making 10-minute French toast in a mug. That stuff is like crack, it's to die for!

• Love 2

FN keeps showing past episodes of Holiday Baking Challenge. Erin Toodles Smooches from last season of FNS was more unbearable on that show than this one. Thinking back, I think she is the reason I quit watching that show that year. The FN person who saw her on that show and thought she would be great television should probably lay off the crack because they have burned up the cells responsible for differentiating quirky and enjoyable to watch and too over-the-top annoying to enjoy.

• Love 3

I happened to be in front of the TV when The Kitchen Sink came on. I didn't watch the last season of FNS, and had never seen Tregaye. I tuned in to the first 10 minutes just to see if she was over the top as described during her season. She seemed okay to me. Did they tone her down? On another topic, the few dishes I saw them make seemed to be competing for the most fat and calorie laden recipes on the planet. I wouldn't make any of it, let alone eat it. Blech!

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I happened to be in front of the TV when The Kitchen Sink came on. I didn't watch the last season of FNS, and had never seen Tregaye. I tuned in to the first 10 minutes just to see if she was over the top as described during her season. She seemed okay to me. Did they tone her down? 

I've never seen her on The Kitchen Sink, but this video  will give you a good idea, especially around the :35 & 1:10 marks. I tried to find a video of her & her "yassssssss" moment, but wasn't able to. It was........interesting.

This was her 1st episode on The Kitchen Sink - the new season started today. She's scheduled to be a regular with rotating guest hosts - it's her "prize" for winning FNS.

ETA: I wouldn't have even recognized her from that link. I only watched 10 minutes, but she was nothing like that.

Edited by chessiegal

I saw about 10 mins of The Kitchen Sink and Tregaye was unrecognizable from her FNS appearance. Without Giada and Bobby encouraging her to make a fool of herself by being obnoxious to the extreme, she acted more like I imagine she is in real life, and although I missed her meal, her banter with Jeff Mauro and the other woman I didn't recognize was fine. It was more proof to me that Giada and Bobby are the problem with FNS.

• Love 2

I have no doubt that the producers told Bobby and Giada that they were looking for someone to bring in a younger crowd, and to host the internet show she was supposed to host, and I think she did but I didn't watch that one so I'm not sure, but Bobby and Giada were the ones who were busting a gut and practically peeing on themselves the more and more outrageous she acted. She toned down her behavior at one point when one of the others suggested that she was overacting to the point of schtick, most of us here at PTV agreed, but B&G were all, "What the hell?" and she ramped it back up to obnoxious.

I actually felt a bit sorry for her if she read the social media posts about her, because they were overwhelmingly negative, even though it did seem that some of the younger viewers found her amusing. Certainly not enough to carry a show, and it looks like she was allowed to act less over-the-top on this episode of Kitchen Sink. At one point, her husband showed up to assist her on FNS, and was looking at her like she was abducted by an alien life force. 

They also carried Damiano to the end, and he really didn't seem to deserve it. The producers probably told them that they wanted a baker to judge some of the new baking shows, and Erin Toodles Smooches had to argue with them over something stupid resulting in Damiano making it to the end. She would be just as bad as him, though, in my opinion.

The show with the eliminated chefs was much, much better than FNS. The challenges made more sense for a chef who would be acting as a host and/or judge and/or presenting at a food show. FNS just seemed like a joke in comparison, which I blame on Giada and Bobby since they were the ones deciding who moved on and who gave them instructions to act stupid. Not even bubbly or more cheerful, but drove Tregaye to the "Yaaassss" scene where she didn't even tell them what she made. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Fortunately, I watch a lot of crap television, and had no problem hate-watching FNS.

• Love 2

Bumping this thread to post that Jeff Mauro is now doing Subway ads (was also the celebrity co-host on the Today Show the other day and ) Not to mention did a Beauty and the Beast tie in with Pepperidge Farm last month. At this point he really is the last legitimate star FNS has found. I don't see that changing anytime soon considering they barely even give out prizes anymore to the winners.

• Love 3

Bumping this thread to post that Jeff Mauro is now doing Subway ads (was also the celebrity co-host on the Today Show the other day and ) Not to mention did a Beauty and the Beast tie in with Pepperidge Farm last month.

He's also the spokesman for the George Foreman Grill and he's doing demos and giving interviews for them. Also, he's been spokesperson doing ads or promotions for: Mark West Wines, Cracker Barrel cheese, Bounty paper towels, Hot Pockets, Seattle's Best coffee, Wal-Mart and Kohler. And those are the ones that I remembered. Also, other than the Today show he has appeared on GMA, CBS This Morning, Steve Harvey, The Talk and Late Night w/Fallon, plus he goes frequently to The Rachael Ray show and his recipes have been featured on The New York Times and People (they even named him one of their Sexiest Chefs). He has his Pork and Mindy's shop, the new one at Wrigley Field and their line of sauces.

At this point he really is the last legitimate star FNS has found.

He might not have the instant fame and recognition that Guy has but, he's been selling his brand and image very successfully. 

Now that he was nominated for an Emmy for co-hosting 'The Kitchen', the one thing that he's missing is a prime time show. Other than Disney and candy specials, he hasn't hosted a show since '$24 in 24', which ended because of legal problems of the production company. IMO, he's a big part of the success of 'The Kitchen'. I think he's the only co-host who hasn't missed a show and if he does, it will be noticeable to fans and critics. Every co-host but Jeff and Marcela have gotten a prime time show either on FN or CC. Even less successful FNS winners like Eddie Jackson and Damaris Phillips are co-hosting the 'Kids BBQ Challenge' next month, plus FN has brought every actor, comedian and not well known food personality imaginable to host shows with mostly bad results. Jeff would have been great hosting 'Food Network Star Kids' with Sunny, instead of Tamera and Donald.

I listened to an interview recently and Jeff said that he submitted three ideas for pilots to FN, so it appears that he wants at least some control and producer credit on shows he does going forward like Guy does. Looking at his Twitter feed, I read that Jeff met recently with the guys who own the production company for Emeril's 'Eat the World' and Comedy Central's 'Comedy Jam.' Don't know if FN approved any of Jeff's ideas or if it's a tv project outside FN. 

I don't see that changing anytime soon considering they barely even give out prizes anymore to the winners.

FNS winners won't get cooking shows. Other than Ina, Ree, Bobby, Guy and Giada, they are giving those to entertainers or wives of sports figures. In the case of the last three, they have their cooking shows to keep them happy to do the competition shows they host in prime time, because, other than Ree's, ratings for their cooking shows aren't that high, latest casualty being 'Farmhouse Rules' which apparently was cancelled, prompting Nancy Fuller to give FN's phone number to her FB fans to call them in.

FN is giving even their travel shows to comedians and YouTube personalities like Hannah Hart. So, most likely, FNS winners will either judge and participate in competitions or do some kind of co-hosting on Kitchen Sink, which only aired just 3 episodes from their 13 ordered, probably because of bad feedback of co-host Tregaye Fraser.

• Love 2

Jeff and Guy are the break outs for FN and for Top Chef, Carla Hall has made their biggest mark.   Interesting to watch which reality stars break away from the pack.  Sure there are others you see here and there in judging positions so there is that.  

• Love 1

Does anyone remember Linkie Marais, the really pretty blonde? She's got a job repping for Big Green Egg, so she goes to all these BBQ competitions. AND.... she's private cheffing on yachts. I swear, everytime she posts photos of some exotic place she's at, I want to strangle her. LOL

I like Jeff most of the time and think he's "crazy like a fox".  That goofy persona he sometimes goes with is probably mostly producer driven and only a small part of who he really is (or at least I hope so).  I agree he would do well with a kid's competition.  I think we will see him around for a long time.  I just hope the FN doesn't keep him in a box - i.e., putting him out there as the "great big kid who makes terrific sandwiches".  It would be great if they let him grow up into a real deal chef and personality.  

• Love 1

Lazytoaster, I totally agree -- I've always found Jeff to be very, very smart.  He's just fun and goofy too so he's easily underestimated.  But he's super-smart.  I hope FN takes care of him properly.  They have a way of ruining their best talent IMO and backing lame horses /shows / ideas.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
On 4/16/2017 at 4:33 AM, cooksdelight said:

Does anyone remember Linkie Marais, the really pretty blonde? She's got a job repping for Big Green Egg, so she goes to all these BBQ competitions. AND.... she's private cheffing on yachts. I swear, everytime she posts photos of some exotic place she's at, I want to strangle her. LOL

Wasn't Linkie from South Africa?  Faces, I forget - but accents I remember.  She could cook and had great camera presence.  

On 4/17/2017 at 1:02 PM, LazyToaster said:

I like Jeff most of the time and think he's "crazy like a fox".  That goofy persona he sometimes goes with is probably mostly producer driven and only a small part of who he really is (or at least I hope so).  I agree he would do well with a kid's competition.  I think we will see him around for a long time.  I just hope the FN doesn't keep him in a box - i.e., putting him out there as the "great big kid who makes terrific sandwiches".  It would be great if they let him grow up into a real deal chef and personality.  

The Sandwich Iron Chef! ;)

• Love 1

That goofy persona he sometimes goes with is probably mostly producer driven and only a small part of who he really is  .....................

I've always thought just the opposite.  To me, he seems like the guy who used to be the class clown although I do think he amps up the goofiness for effect.  Having said that, I think he's genuinely a nice guy, intelligent, hard working and so on.  I've liked him from the beginning of his season on FNS and I'm happy he's had so much success.

• Love 6
On 4/17/2017 at 1:02 PM, LazyToaster said:

I agree about Jeff.  The "box" FN currently has him in is on "The Kitchen", although I think it's been great for him as he has grown so much while on that show and does far more than just sandwiches.  He is capable of so much more and even when he goofs a lot I find him very funny.  I hope that after a while they find a better way to showcase his many talents.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I agree about Jeff.  The "box" FN currently has him in is on "The Kitchen", although I think it's been great for him as he has grown so much while on that show and does far more than just sandwiches.  He is capable of so much more and even when he goofs a lot I find him very funny.  I hope that after a while they find a better way to showcase his many talents.

With that said, if he had a travel show for sandwiches and such I wouldn't be mad. He does well playing off others.

• Love 5

I see Eddie Jackson's Kids BBQ Championship starts back tomorrow. I generally loathe the kids show movement on FN, but Eddie is so charming and seems to have such a genuinely good rapport with the kids, that I enjoyed season 1. I noticed they've replaced the stiff/uptight chick from last season (forget her name) with Damaris Phillips.  I have a feeling she and Eddie will fit well together. Think we should start a forum for the show since it's made it to season 2?

• Love 4

Remember Monte, she now has a show called Help my Yelp and goes to restaurants with bad Yelp reviews and helps them get more stars. She is really good on this show.

• Love 1

The ratings for Help My Yelp were really low - looks like it's toast.

HELP MY YELP: Dropped from Monday nights; it will air a couple of re-runs just for this Saturday May 6th at 1:00. Another re-run airs on Sat. 5/13 at 6:30PM.. After that, it won't return to the schedule and, as they did with 'Kitchen Sink' (which FN only showed 4 episodes out of 13 ordered with no plans to bring it back anytime soon), the network won't air the 2 remaining originals of 'Yelp'

Monti Carlo was on FNS?  Which season?  I don't remember her at all but I think the first season I saw was Jeff Mauro's so maybe it was before that.

(edited)

Monti Carlo's bio on FN Help My Yelp site says she was a judge on FNS.

ETA:

Monti Carlo is a chef, restaurant consultant and bacon aficionado. She spent decades working front and back of the house at restaurants across the country before she traded her apron for a microphone. After hosting award-winning morning radio shows in Phoenix, Atlanta and Seattle, Monti stepped back in the kitchen and has appeared as a judge on shows including Cutthroat Kitchen, Chopped Junior and Food Network Star. The Puerto Rican blogger is also behind islandgirlcooks.com.

Edited by chessiegal

I don't remember her from MC but I do recall her being on FNS as a judge.  In fact, I think that may have been the first time I saw her anywhere.  Since then, I have seen her on the other shows mentioned.  Can't say I've been impressed.

1 minute ago, mlp said:

I don't remember her from MC but I do recall her being on FNS as a judge.  In fact, I think that may have been the first time I saw her anywhere.  Since then, I have seen her on the other shows mentioned.  Can't say I've been impressed.

IIRC, when she appeared on MC as a home cook she already had an IMDB listing.  

Mairym “Monti” Carlo

The “homemaker” from Los Angeles, Monti had a background in radio and voice-over work before appearing on MasterChef. After MasterChef, Monti was hired to be a morning talk show host at KEXX in Phoenix, Arizona and worked there for a little over a year and a half. She also hosted a FYI Network special in the summer of 2014 called “Make My Food Famous” about home cooks getting dishes on their favorite restaurants’ menus.

You can find out more about Monti’s recent work and projects at her website, themonticarlo.com.

• Love 1

I am not entirely sure where to post this but here goes. What happened to Lenny McNabb who won and then was busted for all sorts of obscene comments about other Food Network chefs? Did the Food Network send him off to hang out with Shelley Miscavage or something?

• Love 2

NO!  NO!  NO!  Say it isn't so!  Is "Farmhouse Rules" really being cancelled?  That's my favorite show.  Nancy is the last remaining chef who cooks on her show!  She actually cooks!  And her recipes are FANTASTIC!

Nancy got off on the wrong foot, clowning around when she started, thinking she had to be that way.  It didn't take too long for her to settle down, act like a human being, and put on a very sincere cooking show filled with more good tips than I've ever heard a host give.  In the meantime, I think that a lot of viewers tuned out after one or two awful shows and never returned to see the real Nancy.  I'm absolutely sick about this if it's true.

I read a good article about the FN, written by a TV insider.  He said the Scripps people were not meeting their advertisers' wishes, so the answer from them was to go for a much, much younger demographic -- thus, the kids' shows.  In another few years, the kids will be the buyers the advertisers want.  It makes sense that Scripps wouldn't care much about Nancy since she's older and offers nothing in the way of prime viewers that they're aiming for.  The article made a lot of sense.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, spankydoll said:

I am not entirely sure where to post this but here goes. What happened to Lenny McNabb who won and then was busted for all sorts of obscene comments about other Food Network chefs? Did the Food Network send him off to hang out with Shelley Miscavage or something?

Lenny has dropped out of sight pretty much completely now.  Even the Kessler Canyon Ranch, where he used to work for a long time has been sold and is now owned privately.  I found a rare post on his Facebook page last year that lead me to believe he got a job as a chef at a resort in Florida but can't find anything on that now because even his personal Facebook page isn't public anymore.  None of his other social media (Twitter, Instagram, etc.) have been updated in 2 years.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Lura said:

NO!  NO!  NO!  Say it isn't so!  Is "Farmhouse Rules" really being cancelled?  That's my favorite show.  Nancy is the last remaining chef who cooks on her show!  She actually cooks!  And her recipes are FANTASTIC!

Nancy got off on the wrong foot, clowning around when she started, thinking she had to be that way.  It didn't take too long for her to settle down, act like a human being, and put on a very sincere cooking show filled with more good tips than I've ever heard a host give.  In the meantime, I think that a lot of viewers tuned out after one or two awful shows and never returned to see the real Nancy.  I'm absolutely sick about this if it's true.

I read a good article about the FN, written by a TV insider.  He said the Scripps people were not meeting their advertisers' wishes, so the answer from them was to go for a much, much younger demographic -- thus, the kids' shows.  In another few years, the kids will be the buyers the advertisers want.  It makes sense that Scripps wouldn't care much about Nancy since she's older and offers nothing in the way of prime viewers that they're aiming for.  The article made a lot of sense.

Good! One less southern/farm show! Maybe we can get something unique and not from a b-list...who am I kidding.

• Love 4
On 6/23/2017 at 1:08 AM, Lura said:

I'm sorry to hear about Nancy even though I didn't watch her as she seemed really nice.  Although being an older woman hasn't hurt Ina Garten any as her show still seems to be in production with new episodes airing.  I was never an Ina fan but recently I've taken to watching her on occasion because at least she makes real food that looks tasty that I sometimes want to make.

• Love 1