Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Cheyenne's Wedding

Cheyenne and Bo have their wedding day.

Loved Dina and her run at being a bridesmaid.

Amy's toast was made of cringe. Guess there are no obstacles for her and Jonah to get together... Big surprise... Just once I would love a sitcom to NOT have a "destined to be together couple."

Harmonica was adorable! While I felt bad Jeff and Mateo are in a bad place, I loved Jeff's simultaneous "hate you/ love you" going between Mateo and her. Confession; I do that with my dogs when scolding one of them for something; going "bad girl/good girl" so the one not in trouble knows they aren't in trouble.

Glenn inviting Jeff, trying to convince him to not make him lay people off then blurting out the layoff new in front of everyone was a TOTAL Michael Scott move.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
Spelling
  • Love 12

Loved Dina and her run at being a bridesmaid

See, I'm just the opposite.  Dina is so overbearing that she ruins things for me.  It was too much.   I muted a lot of her dialog.

Jonah's awkwardness with Amy was weird, too.  Isn't he past that by now?    

And how the heck did Cheyenne and Bilbo (Haha) afford that nice wedding?

• Love 7

i was wondering the same thing about how they paid for the wedding. how much time had passed between the episode when bo quit the store and they said they didnt need a fancy wedding?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Suzysite said:

Jonah's awkwardness with Amy was weird, too.  Isn't he past that by now?    

No. He's into Amy more now than he has ever been. They have this deep friendship and he's also keenly aware that he has feelings for her. Every single time he tries to move past it, someone else brings it up. At the wedding, everyone keeps calling them work husband/wife and that's out there making him nervous. They are going to happen, it's just a question of when. I don't see Amy as the sort of person who jumps right from one relationship to the next.

Jeff and Mateo broke my heart! I get why Mateo ended things and I even get why he couldn't tell Jeff, but to see Jeff hurt was really hard. Sandra got her guy though so that was one fabulous romantic subplot to offset some of the misery. Also Cheyenne got married and while I don't like Bo, she loves him and gets him so I actually think they have a shot at working out.

Garrett being the MC and making announcements during the wedding cracked me up. I loved that he tried to save Amy during the worst toast ever. Of all the things, that showed me that these people are a found family. Garrett may rip on everyone for his amusement, but he's also going to look out for them when he can.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Garrett being the MC and making announcements during the wedding cracked me up. I loved that he tried to save Amy during the worst toast ever.

"The dessert table is now open for anyone who would like to STOP TALKING." Loved it!

• Love 12

I loved Myrtle's hat and ensemble.  Not basic at all (by my standards.)

Have they ever mentioned before that Cheyenne has Japanese heritage (the actress has a Japanese parent) or are we supposed to be surprised that she is speaking Japanese to a table of guests?

• Love 2

I really liked Myrtle thinking Bo was a butch lesbian, Garrett doing announcements, and Sandra finding some bit of happiness.

But I hated Jeff's ranting at Mateo (and I hate Mateo, sheesh), Dina making every little thing all about her particularly the photoshoot, and Adam/Amy/Jonah/gf being beyond awkward as fuck.  I'm glad they advanced that story, and some degree of awkwardness was necessary, but that was way over the top to the point of being extremely uncomfortable to watch.  

I think the problem with this episode and with the show at times is the writers AND actors dial things up to eleventy when a four would suffice.  

Good episode. I appreciate how well they've handled the breakdown of Amy and Adam's marriage, it has been dealt with very even-handedly for a sitcom. No one is really the bad guy, no one cheated or did anything too horrible, they are just incompatible and at different places. I'm indifferent about Jonah and Amy, it was coming since the beginning, I just hope if/when they do become a couple it won't take over the show too much. I do think Amy should be single for a while.

Otherwise, it was a decent episode. Sandra and Jerry are very cute, I hope he breaks it how with the screw and Sandra can have a shot at some happiness.

4 hours ago, vibeology said:

Also Cheyenne got married and while I don't like Bo, she loves him and gets him so I actually think they have a shot at working out.

I agree, and I wish Amy would stop projecting so much on her. Cheyenne and Bo might be a bit of a hick couple, but they do have a chance at happiness, I think. 

Loved the shot of the lady standing behind Garrett badgering him because he remained seated for the bride when Cheyenne walked down the aisle.

4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

"The dessert table is now open for anyone who would like to STOP TALKING." Loved it!

"And thank you for shopping Cloud Nine"

7 hours ago, Suzysite said:

And how the heck did Cheyenne and Bilbo (Haha) afford that nice wedding?

The "Bilbo" name reveal had me laughing out loud.

14 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Glenn inviting Jeff, trying to convince him to not make him lay people off then blurting out the layoff new in front of everyone was a TOTAL Michael Scott move.

Totally!  Dina's participation in the wedding,  and her trying to do an embarrasing uninvited toast was also like Michael Scott in Phyllis and Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration's wedding).

I'll allow it.  Even though I dearly love The Office, it stole a lot from NewsRadio, (and the UK version, obviously).

Edited by Mrs Shibbles
  • Love 3

I was amazed at how much they must have spent on the wedding. I guess it depends on where you live, but if someone in Cheyenne's circumstances was getting married here, they would have an appetizer table in a rec hall or church fellowship hall.  No meal, no assigned seating, and a cash bar (if any alcohol was served).

• Love 1

I agree Dina was her usual annoying self but Lauren Ash looked really nice all gussied up. I loved the way Johan kept trying way too hard to look like he wasn't interested in Amy. "I only go for tall blondes." Then, eye-balling his date, "and shorter Asian women, but that's it."

And, awwwwwwwwwwwww . . . Sandra! I love the way Sandra has gone from being little more than a sight-gag in Season 1 to a full fledged character in her own right. She even admitted to Jerry she made up her former boyfriend. 

I don't see why Mateo can't just tell Jeff why he broke up with him. He didn't want to transfer to another store . . . that's a perfectly reasonable position.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't see why Mateo can't just tell Jeff why he broke up with him. He didn't want to transfer to another store . . . that's a perfectly reasonable position.

Yeah, but if that were the only reason, he would have told Jeff before breaking up with him.  Now it's too late.

After last week I was a little uneasy about another episode where he would obviously be fairly prominent, but he was a lot more tolerable this week. I still hope we don't see him again for a good long while although I wouldn't mind seeing Harmonica again. This show really seems to do very well with the child actors.

• Love 2

How much time is supposed to have passed since Harmonica was born? The kid looked about two to me! Shouldn't she be around a year old or less?

Those bridesmaids dresses were smoking hot. Amy and Dina looked amazing. Overall the wedding looked pretty nice for having two teenagers plan it. Loved the flowers and overall aesthetic.

Is there anything more depressing than realizing your marriage is over? America did some great subtle work in that final scene with Jonah. Finally it's all coming to a head. Of course they never should have married, so how depressing to think all that time was wasted being unhappy. I actually felt bad for Adam too, and usually I find him to be a big dunce. At least he's not clearly villainized like he could have been.

This show wants to be The Office so badly it hurts. The wedding, pushy coworker, admission of love....all ripped from Office storylines, but they were pretty universal themes anyway so I don't mind it too much. I found Jim and Pam insufferable. Amy and Jonah are more realistic and human to me. At the beginning of the series I didn't find Jonah to be all that worthy of Amy, and Amy was a sourpuss, but they have both won me over. He clearly puts her first (ie, the episode where she finds money in the cargo pants and urges her to use it on herself for once). They clearly have a great time being together. I'm not completely sure they could work long term, but I wouldn't mind seeing them try.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 6

I really liked this one. Had the usual cringe-worthy stuff with Dina, Jeff and Mateo, Amy and her husband, and Glenn, but it also has some very sweet stuff. Like Bo and Cheyenne were very cute together, Sandra gonna get some, and yes, Jonah and Amy. One of my favorite episodes so far.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Mrs Shibbles said:

I'll allow it.  Even though I dearly love The Office, it stole a lot from NewsRadio, (and the UK version, obviously).

The writer/producer (Justin Spitzer) was also a writer on the Office. Fun fact: dude is a doppleganger of Matt Damon. It's the weirdest thing to see in person. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree Dina was her usual annoying self but Lauren Ash looked really nice all gussied up. I loved the way Johan kept trying way too hard to look like he wasn't interested in Amy. "I only go for tall blondes." Then, eye-balling his date, "and shorter Asian women, but that's it."

I agree. But Dina being a bridesmaid was Amy's fault. First she blabbed at work that she's a bridesmaid, when it obvious Dina didn't know, and then she encouraged Cheyenne to make Dina a bridesmaid. She knows how Dina is.

And Jonah is funny. Yes, he dated a blonde woman, but he also likes women of color. Remember Naomi, who looked East Indian--or maybe Pakistani? Glenn's daughter is Thai, and Amy is Honduran.

21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And, awwwwwwwwwwwww . . . Sandra! I love the way Sandra has gone from being little more than a sight-gag in Season 1 to a full fledged character in her own right. She even admitted to Jerry she made up her former boyfriend. 

That was my favorite part of the episode. And no one said, "Shut up, Sandra."  Yay, Sandra.

14 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Is there anything more depressing than realizing your marriage is over? America did some great subtle work in that final scene with Jonah. Finally it's all coming to a head. Of course they never should have married, so how depressing to think all that time was wasted being unhappy. I actually felt bad for Adam too, and usually I find him to be a big dunce. At least he's not clearly villainized like he could have been.

Yes. Some great acting in that scene.

• Love 3

Honestly, I know it might be blasmamy, but I kind of like Jonah and Amy more than Jim and Pam? Or at least, I find them more likable. I liked Jim and Pam too, but I always felt like they thought they were too "cool" for all their weirdo co-workers, which was somewhat understandable, considering how much of a pain they could be, but they just acted so superior, it made them assholes sometimes. Jonah and Amy are also the Normal People in a sea of weirdoes, but while they do get annoyed by their co-workers, they do still like and support them, and it makes me like them more. I think their relationship is actually rather likable, and I'm interested to see it go further.

I hope Sandra and her guy get together! I'm all for Sandra getting a win! Go Sandra! I loved them telling each other what "good dancers" they were while they both awkwardly swayed around. Love really is blind.

"Thank you for shopping at Cloud Nine....sorry force of habit."

• Love 9
2 hours ago, chabelisaywow said:

I'm sorry - but the whole shrimp exchange made me laugh out loud.

I loved that scene and also the later one, when Glenn was introducing her to Jeff ("She's 40 and lives in a studio apartment") and she was holding a second plate piled with shrimp.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

I loved that scene and also the later one, when Glenn was introducing her to Jeff ("She's 40 and lives in a studio apartment") and she was holding a second plate piled with shrimp.

And what made that scene even funnier is that Bo chastised her earlier for taking too much shrimp. 

On 4/29/2017 at 5:27 PM, tennisgurl said:

Honestly, I know it might be blasmamy, but I kind of like Jonah and Amy more than Jim and Pam? Or at least, I find them more likable. I liked Jim and Pam too, but I always felt like they thought they were too "cool" for all their weirdo co-workers, which was somewhat understandable, considering how much of a pain they could be, but they just acted so superior, it made them assholes sometimes. Jonah and Amy are also the Normal People in a sea of weirdoes, but while they do get annoyed by their co-workers, they do still like and support them, and it makes me like them more. I think their relationship is actually rather likable, and I'm interested to see it go further.

And this is about the long and short of it for me. Jim and Pam were unbearably smug and frequently looked down on their co-workers, Jim more so than Pam. But Amy and Jonah, while the straight men of the show, often do stupid things as well. Jonah does something dumb and/or elitist at least once an episode, and Amy's impression of an Asian stereotype in "Shots and Salsa" is at least as cringey as anything any of the more cartoonish characters have done. The writers allowing them to screw up makes them more rootable. I wonder if it's the nature of their jobs that makes the difference. A retail job is worlds away from an office job in terms of culture.

Amy and Jonah genuinely embrace their coworkers as friends, too, and spend time with them outside of work hours. Amy's affection for Cheyenne in particular is touching. I was actually a little surprised Cheyenne asked her to be a bridesmaid. I figured she would have any number of friends to choose from. But the work environment is such that their coworkers are their extended family, at least at this particular store.

• Love 5

The wedding episode was on fire. Four times as many laughs as "Spring Cleaning".

It's always nice to shake up the format and move to a new location and weddings are always fun episodes.

Yeah, lots of laughs and forward momentum in the stories plus Deana cleans up good in a dress.

Sad there is only one episode left until fall!

Are we supose to know the woman crossing out Cheyenne's face?

• Love 2

I liked Bo's one moment of normalcy: "Aunt Betty! Oh my! How do you get younger looking every time I see you?"

I don't know if I'm happy for Sandra or not. If Jerry dumped Carol for her, you know Carol is going to make her life hell. She didn't even like Jerry chatting with Sandra at the wedding; no way she is going to take this well.

If Jerry dumped Carol for her, you know Carol is going to make her life hell. She didn't even like Jerry chatting with Sandra at the wedding; no way she is going to take this well.

So let's fire her!

4 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

So let's fire her!

No offense to the actress, but I hope they get rid of the character or re-tool her. She's too nasty, even for a comedy. And she's the worst kind of nasty, an unfunny one. (Okay, the line about the car not driving itself or whatever was funny)

• Love 5
On 5/1/2017 at 7:39 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

And this is about the long and short of it for me. Jim and Pam were unbearably smug and frequently looked down on their co-workers, Jim more so than Pam. But Amy and Jonah, while the straight men of the show, often do stupid things as well. Jonah does something dumb and/or elitist at least once an episode, and Amy's impression of an Asian stereotype in "Shots and Salsa" is at least as cringey as anything any of the more cartoonish characters have done. The writers allowing them to screw up makes them more rootable. I wonder if it's the nature of their jobs that makes the difference. A retail job is worlds away from an office job in terms of culture.

Amy and Jonah genuinely embrace their coworkers as friends, too, and spend time with them outside of work hours. Amy's affection for Cheyenne in particular is touching. I was actually a little surprised Cheyenne asked her to be a bridesmaid. I figured she would have any number of friends to choose from. But the work environment is such that their coworkers are their extended family, at least at this particular store.

Very well put, I liked Jim and Pam individually but once they got together, it just wasn't fun to watch them anymore, especially Pam. Hopefully if Jonah and Amy get together, they won't turn into another Pam & Jim. 

On 4/28/2017 at 0:26 PM, Tiger said:

I think the problem with this episode and with the show at times is the writers AND actors dial things up to eleventy when a four would suffice.  

That's a problem with many a sitcom but I definitely agree with you.

That being said and although I know that Dina is over the top, I still love her. She looked so good in her bridesmaid dress. I think I have a bit of a crush on her.  Myrtle thinking she was at a lesbian wedding was the best. Bo even has a mustache so the whole thing just tickled the shit out of me. 

• Love 2
On 2017-04-28 at 3:31 PM, MaryMitch said:

I was amazed at how much they must have spent on the wedding. I guess it depends on where you live, but if someone in Cheyenne's circumstances was getting married here, they would have an appetizer table in a rec hall or church fellowship hall.  No meal, no assigned seating, and a cash bar (if any alcohol was served).

I was just watching the repeat of the episode and the wedding is in a BINGO hall. You can see the BINGO board behind Garrett's DJ booth. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Keener said:

I was just watching the repeat of the episode and the wedding is in a BINGO hall. You can see the BINGO board behind Garrett's DJ booth 

I think Garrett was using the microphone used for calling Bingo 

• Love 1
On 4/28/2017 at 4:31 PM, iMonrey said:

Because it's not just transferring to another store, he'd have to tell him the rest and Jeff seems like he's too by the book to not fire him and possibly worse. Not to mention, Mateo not wanting to move to another store is a weak excuse for him that Jeff might see through since Mateo acts like he hates the current store and the one he was being transferred to was the fancy one.

All that aside, even not liking Mateo a ton, he does make me laugh. Talking to a table that did not need the overshare - "I get it, you're father material. I mean, I hate kids, but I love dads."

Cheyenne's mom being in prison surprised me. Did we know that before? First time I remember hearing it, but it was definitely funny.

As for wedding costs - they were in a place that is called the Independent Lodge that clearly doubles as a Bingo Hall, whose sign outside read "Vets Drink Half Price + Bo and Cheyenne's Wedding." There were garden variety halogen lights in the corners of the reception, the balloons were as basic as can be, each table had a 2-liter bottle of generic soda, there was a black couch against the wall that looked like it could have been donated used from a frat house, and that's all with the lit Bingo board in the back. So, while this is was definitely more expensive than City Hall and they definitely spent some money on this, I'm not thinking the cost is nearly what some may have been thinking.

• Love 7