Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E21: Fly Into a Rage, Make a Bad Landing

When Detective Bell's girlfriend, Chantal, is assaulted and her ex-husband is killed soon after, in what Holmes and Watson discover is a staged suicide, they search for one suspect behind the linked crimes. Also, as Bell fights the urge to seek his own brand of justice for Chantal, Sherlock makes a heartbreaking realization about the detective's past.

I wouldn't hang my hat on the description being "assaulted" and not "killed". There was a character on "The Practice" who was gunned down in a hail of bullets and during the week between episodes they kept insisting he wasn't dead. 3 seconds after the next episode began, he was pronounced dead. Clair Kincaid on Law & Order was broadsided by a drunk driver, smashing her head into the windshield in the Season 6 finale and NBC/show runners/whatever refused to confirm that she was dead until the start of the next season.

• Love 1

I just accidentally spoiled myself about this episode somewhere else, I don't think they should have released this much descriptive information about the episode, that's two pretty big spoilers there. 

Ugh!!!  Maybe it's just my TV, but the opening scenes have the background music too loud and all the actors are talking so softly they might as well be whispering.  Then the commercial comes on and it's too loud!  Guess I'll have to turn on closed captioning.

• Love 2

Hey guys golf seems to be running long so make changes to your dvr.

I haven't had  a chance to check my recording yet, but on the east coast it seems they broke away from watching paint dry (golf) at 7 PM and went right into the Sunday evening line up.  They said that golf was continuing on the West Coast.  

Someone at CBS must really hate Elementary; either the rating skew old or the program is too expensive.  Sunday night after sports is where executives put TV shows out on the iceberg to die.

• Love 1

So, Chantai didn't die after all, but was just hospitalized.  Granted, it still was a horrible assault that will likely take a while to recover (although, I doubt they will show any of it), but that's certainly better then being dead.

Knew the ex was going to be set-up, but I was wrong about the motive being someone Chantai was prosecuting, and instead, it was because the ex was doing some shady dealings with a corrupt divorce lawyer, and the lawyer killed and framed him, after he bribed him.  Something about how the lawyer represented wives of divorced men who had money hidden away on islands, but he was secretly working with the husbands, and low-balled whatever they were "suppose" to have, and kept some of it himself?

I'm not sure if I want to know if there really is a restaurant that serves "insect cuisines."  It being NYC, I'm going to say yes, because I'm pretty NYC has everything for everybody, no matter how small or insane!

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Something about how the lawyer represented wives of divorced men who had money hidden away on islands, but he was secretly working with the husbands, and low-balled whatever they were "suppose" to have, and kept some of it himself?

That sums it up pretty nicely.  The plot wasn't as convoluted as it often is which was fine with me.

I missed a little bit at the beginning due to thunderstorm knocking out satellite but I saw most of it.

16 hours ago, Zahdii said:

Ugh!!!  Maybe it's just my TV, but the opening scenes have the background music too loud and all the actors are talking so softly they might as well be whispering.  Then the commercial comes on and it's too loud!  Guess I'll have to turn on closed captioning.

I've always had a hard time hearing/understanding the actors on the show, especially JLM - I enjoy it so much more since I started using closed captioning.

• Love 2

Well after having seen an abundance of 'This time it's personal'-plots on various crime shows used as an excuse to have people sworn to uphold the law do anything but this was a nice change of pace. Bell and Sherlock are always a great pairing - the arc where Bell got hurt because of Sherlock and the long time the show took with their reconciliation is still one of my favorites.

• Love 7

I really enjoyed all of the Bell/Holmes scenes. The one in the kitchen (after the car jacking) was especially beautiful to watch. JLM usually fills Holme with many quirks and quick speaking, that the quiet emotional moments always leave me in awe.

• Love 9

I have to watch this show with CC on, otherwise it takes me about 2 hours to watch each episode.  Jonny Lee Miller speaks in this very quick, clipped sort of manner, and without CC, I find myself rewinding to try to figure out what has been said.  Add Aidan Quinn to a scene, who I think mumbles, and CC is a must. 

Glad that JLM seems to have survived that terrible cold he had.  He seemed to be dealing with it in multiple episodes. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Something about how the lawyer represented wives of divorced men who had money hidden away on islands, but he was secretly working with the husbands, and low-balled whatever they were "suppose" to have, and kept some of it himself?

I was doing OK till the end too....so Chantal's ex found out about the scheme and blackmailed the lawyer. The safety deposit box held the first blackmail payment and a list of all the husbands along with the money amounts that had been skimmed (I think?) And the pee came from a drug test that the lawyer ran (he kept it?) I think the pee results didn't have the Chinese herbs, though, that the ex had been taking recently - that's how Sherlock knew it was older pee.

Am I wrong about any of this?

i was a little bothered that neither Sherlock or Bell showed any remorse for injuring the aviation guy - who was shady, but didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the assault or murder. 

• Love 2
(edited)

So it looks like Chantal is going to be alright, so that's good, as I like her alright and her being murdered would cast a pretty dark light over the season. I knew the ex didn't do it (too obvious), but I was a little surprised he got murdered. I thought the case itself was pretty good, not too convoluted, although I question this guys murder plan. Wouldn't it have been easier to just make it look like some angry ex, or just some random guy after a bar fight, killed him? Or fake an OD or something? The ex was such a scum bag, theres probably a line of suspects who would want to kill him, without beating the shit out of a lawyer and faking a suicide.

Really love Sherlock and Bell scenes, so I already was enjoying the episode, and the last scene was really good. Sherlock seemed very uncomfortable but genuine in his last scene with Bell, he just so clearly likes and respects him, but still feels a little awkward talking about it.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

There are only a handful of people whom Sherlock genuinely cares about, so to see him demonstrate the high esteem he holds Bell in was lovely. That last scene was really terrific.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm not sure if I want to know if there really is a restaurant that serves "insect cuisines."  It being NYC, I'm going to say yes, because I'm pretty NYC has everything for everybody, no matter how small or insane!

They are crazy nutritional. :)

• Love 2

Best episode of the season IMO.  I was actually mildly interested in the case and LOVED the interactions among the characters, esp Bell and Holmes.  An extraordinary man is high praise from Sherlock.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Calvada said:

I have to watch this show with CC on, otherwise it takes me about 2 hours to watch each episode.  Jonny Lee Miller speaks in this very quick, clipped sort of manner, and without CC, I find myself rewinding to try to figure out what has been said.  Add Aidan Quinn to a scene, who I think mumbles, and CC is a must. 

Glad that JLM seems to have survived that terrible cold he had.  He seemed to be dealing with it in multiple episodes. 

Same here.   I had to put CC on because the sound was so bad.   I could not hear any of the dialog without boosting the volume to crazy levels.   I don't know why they can't fix this problem.   It's the same with every episode lately.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

neither Sherlock or Bell showed any remorse for injuring the aviation guy - who was shady, but didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the assault or murder. 

The dude is default Russian Mob....from Oz to The Italian Job ... Has he ever played a good guy???

• Love 1

Best episode of the season IMO.  I was actually mildly interested in the case and LOVED the interactions among the characters, esp Bell and Holmes.  An extraordinary man is high praise from Sherlock.

Agreed and I don't have a whole lot to say about it. It had the usual twists and turns but I liked that it revolved around Marcus rather than some outside character. The dynamic between him and Sherlock is a compelling one, especially since Sherlock almost got him killed once and it took a long time for Marcus to get past it. I feel like Marcus still regards Sherlock with some trepidation even if he respects and even admires what he does at the same time. His guard is still up, a little.

I guess next week is the season finale? And I'm also guessing they'll wrap up the Shinwell thing so I'm not looking forward to his return.

• Love 5
On 5/1/2017 at 8:20 AM, Mermaid Under said:

Sunday night after sports is where executives put TV shows out on the iceberg to die.

If I remember correctly one of their top ranked shows "The Good Wife" was always on Sunday night after "Madame Secretary".

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I guess next week is the season finale? And I'm also guessing they'll wrap up the Shinwell thing so I'm not looking forward to his return.

As far as I know the season (series?) finale will be May 21.  Elementary has always had 24 episode seasons thus far.

I adore Bell, so I was afraid he was going to go all vengeance-y.  Glad that Sherlock stepped in -- it's a good repayment of the pain he caused Bell way back when. 

Wonder if Alfredo helped Sherlock get rid of that sports car!

• Love 7
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Really love Sherlock and Bell scenes, so I already was enjoying the episode, and the last scene was really good. Sherlock seemed very uncomfortable but genuine in his last scene with Bell, he just so clearly likes and respects him, but still feels a little awkward talking about it.

Ditto to everyone who enjoys Sherlock and Bell scenes!

15 hours ago, Pamela said:

There are only a handful of people whom Sherlock genuinely cares about, so to see him demonstrate the high esteem he holds Bell in was lovely. That last scene was really terrific.

I got teary-eyed during that scene! I love those slightly awkward little moments where Sherlock expresses his care for another character. The scene last season in "Hounded" where Sherlock talked to Eugene the ME about getting help for himself was another one of my favorite moments.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

i was a little bothered that neither Sherlock or Bell showed any remorse for injuring the aviation guy - who was shady, but didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the assault or murder. 

True, but they mentioned seeing the pics of the beatings he gave his wife, so I just consider Sherlock as the Hand dealing that guy's Karma. And I'm sorry but, seeing Sherlock come running up and then playing Whack-A-Mole with that dude's legs and then taking off in his sports car was kinda funny. Add in Marcus's reaction when Sherlock called him as he was making his getaway and it was black humor for me, loved it.

I liked Marcus figuring out that Sherlock wanted him with him because he was well aware of what Marcus must be thinking. I'm remembering when Sherlock beat his former drug partner into the hospital after he figured out the guy kidnapped Alfredo. I also liked that it was brought up and quickly dismissed about Marcus being a possible suspect, and I liked how they allowed him to show understanding of that.

All around, solid A episode.

• Love 8
(edited)

I loved the interaction between Sherlock and Marcus so much. They will never say this directly, but they love and respect each other, and you could tell how awkward it was for Sherlock to open up about this admiration, he couldn't even look at Marcus while doing it, and Marcus was taken aback, but couldn't say anything back! And then Sherlock knew it was time to change subject! Then Marcus' hilarious answer that he will try to watch. The whole scene was perfection.

Edited by Zolo
  • Love 5

I finally got a chance to watch this and overall it was a good episode. Even though CBS will probably cancel the show after this season, this has been one of the best shows on TV for years and I will sadly miss Sherlock, Joan, Captain Gregson and Marcus.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, CaptainCranky said:

Even though CBS will probably cancel the show after this season,

Or they will put it on the streaming channel until Star Trek: Discovery is ready

On 5/3/2017 at 8:32 AM, kay1864 said:

Waiter, there's a fly in my soup!

Only one??? I am so sorry....there should be at least 12

• Love 1

"i was a little bothered that neither Sherlock or Bell showed any remorse for injuring the aviation guy - who was shady, but didn't have anything whatsoever to do with the assault or murder.

"True, but they mentioned seeing the pics of the beatings he gave his wife, so I just consider Sherlock as the Hand dealing that guy's Karma. And I'm sorry but, seeing Sherlock come running up and then playing Whack-A-Mole with that dude's legs and then taking off in his sports car was kinda funny. Add in Marcus's reaction when Sherlock called him as he was making his getaway and it was black humor for me, loved it.

I love when this show reflects canon Sherlock. Canon Sherlock would have kneecapped that woman beater and stolen his fancy car in an eye blink, just because he could - never mind protecting Marcus.

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:12 AM, CaptainCranky said:

Even though CBS will probably cancel the show after this season, this has been one of the best shows on TV for years and I will sadly miss Sherlock, Joan, Captain Gregson and Marcus.

Why would the show be cancelled?  Is it doing that badly in the ratings?

NCIS: Miami I could kind of see, but I'd love to watch them justify NCIS: Las Vegas (we're in the middle of a fucking desert but for some reason Navy people keep showing up and getting murdered).

• Love 2

I actually like NCIS:LA, but I wouldn't mind if Scorpion died.  And I don't want to lose Elementary!  No!  Everyone force your friends and neighbors to watch Elementary!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, johntfs said:

NCIS: Miami I could kind of see, but I'd love to watch them justify NCIS: Las Vegas (we're in the middle of a fucking desert but for some reason Navy people keep showing up and getting murdered).

They could call it NCIS: Reno 911 - IRL the Topgun facility is now located at NAS Fallon in NW Nevada. "Ice is dead! Maverick is missing! Call NCIS!"

On 5/4/2017 at 11:50 PM, j5cochran said:

Quiet, please, or everyone else will want one!

Please do not shout

or wave it about

Or everyone will be wanting one, too!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/5/2017 at 0:18 PM, johntfs said:

There is a lake!

I guess New Orleans will just have to be a reasonable substitute?  I am sure NOLA had a reputation of being the Sin City east of (or on) the Mississippi?

Edited by HawaiiTVGuy
On 5/2/2017 at 1:23 PM, Badsamaritan said:

True, but they mentioned seeing the pics of the beatings he gave his wife, so I just consider Sherlock as the Hand dealing that guy's Karma. And I'm sorry but, seeing Sherlock come running up and then playing Whack-A-Mole with that dude's legs and then taking off in his sports car was kinda funny. Add in Marcus's reaction when Sherlock called him as he was making his getaway and it was black humor for me, loved it.

I also loved that when he met Whack a Mole's ex-wife at WaM's office, he said he knew that the guy wouldn't be there and that he knew she would very much enjoy the story why if only he could tell her.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

There is a lake!

I guess New Orleans will just have to be a reasonable substitute?  I am sure NOLA had a reputation of being the Sin City east of (or on) the Mississippi?

Partial lyrics to New Orleans... From Simpsons Episode - A Streetcar Named Marge

Long before the Superdome,

Where the Saints of football play,

There's a city where the damned call home,

Hear their hellish rondelet:

New Orleans! Home of pirates, drunks, and whores...

New Orleans! Tacky, overpriced souvenir stores...

If you want to go to hell, you should take a trip

To the Sodom and Gomorrah of the Mississip':

I'm re-watching this right now.  I loved how Sherlock was in zero mood to fuck around with the country club.  No, "you know my father Morland" or "this is vital to a murder investigation."  Nope, just, "give me the video footage or face an invasion by INTERPOL and the FBI."

• Love 1