Type keyword(s) to search

Iron Chef Gauntlet: Gladiators Ready!

It's still bugging me that I can't remember why so many people don't like Sarah.

I remember she and a few of the other chefs (Heather Terhune, IIRC) were less than kind to Beverly Kim for a good deal of that season. I also remember Beverly being fairly annoying, but a lot of folks found Sarah and co's treatment of her to be pretty mean girlish and bullying. Personally, I don't remember all the details, but I do remember not liking Sarah very much.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Nutjob said:

I remember she and a few of the other chefs (Heather Terhune, IIRC) were less than kind to Beverly Kim for a good deal of that season. I also remember Beverly being fairly annoying, but a lot of folks found Sarah and co's treatment of her to be pretty mean girlish and bullying. Personally, I don't remember all the details, but I do remember not liking Sarah very much.

Sarah the fat is a mean girl and a bully - so glad she lost. Her food, just like her, is BORING.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2017 at 0:14 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Stephanie wins!  Shock, shock, surprise, surprise!  Thank goodness I was sitting down!  Again, I'm not unhappy about this all things considered, and just going based on the types of dishes she produced, it looks deserved.  But I think she was the clear favorite going into this.

Sarah makes pasta twice in one episode!  Again, more shock, more surprise!  And I even predicted the raviolo with egg in it, that's how much I watch these competitions and how predictable they are.

It's still bugging me that I can't remember why so many people don't like Sarah.  I watched her on Top Chef, but you know, they say memory is the first thing to go.  I would be lying if I said she wasn't starting to bug me on this show, though.  Something about the way she speaks plus the constant pasta.  I know she made a lot of other things but it does seem to be her fall-back a lot.

Speaking of that, I've noticed lately on these cooking competition shows that the judges are not getting on the contestants as much as they used to for staying in their comfort zones with the cuisine styles.  Tom Colicchio was always famous for getting on them for that, but he's probably the only judge that still does push them to branch out more.  I would think that being able to show an ability to be versatile with different cuisine styles is a requirement of an Iron Chef, and even with my bad memory I do seem to remember more of an emphasis being placed on that on "The Next Iron Chef".

Anyway, it should be interesting to see how they handle the next episode. 

I have noticed on IC that many of them stay in their lanes.  Morimoto and Flay leap out at the moment.  I have a hunch that Symon and Batali do as well.  Within those lanes there they go to great heights, of course.  

Stephanie has branched out into Asian so she has a broad range.  

I don't remember Sarah on TC either but I don't care for her from what I have seen here. 

• Love 2

I can hardly wait for this Finale!  I'm an "all-for-Stephanie" girl, and I think she'd make a great Iron Chef.  Besides her cooking skills, she's younger than the other ICs, and we need someone fresh with a new range of talents. 

I don't care for Sarah, so I'm grateful that she was eliminated.  In fact, Sarah getting the boot may have been the highlight of my TV life last week!  All that boasting of Sarah's was tiring.  Tell me:  If Stephanie and Sarah both made a pasta dish, and Stephanie's was better, would Stephanie then become the "Queen of Pasta"?  I doubt that we'd hear it from her.

Thanks, biakbiak, for the links to the newspaper articles.  They were fun to read.

• Love 5

I haven't been watching this but catching bits of it from time to time when it's repeated on Saturdays ( like just now!). I didn't watch because I do have bad memories of Sarah from Top Chef. I couldn't give specifics at this point but I do remember it being really uncomfortable to watch - it was just pretty ugly. But I watched this final challenge before The Gauntlet (dunh dunh DA!) and there were a few times when I had to shake my head at Sarah:  first when she took BOTH mixers (although I admit that it was impressive, one in each hand!)and then a moment or two later when Stephanie was telling Alton how smart he was and Sarah said, Are you talking to me? I mean, girl, really! (Sorry, watching RuPaul's Drag Race now, lol!) 

I look forward to seeing Stephanie go up against the Iron Chefs and hope this means they will reboot Iron Chef - I kind of miss it ?. And Stephanie would be a great addition to it. I agree with those who said that versatility is a hallmark of a really good chef, even if they largely hew to a certain type of cuisine, they elevate their dishes to make it seem very special. I think that all the current Iron Chefs do that, even Bobby Flay, who seems to get dinged the most for staying in one area. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, OneWouldHope said:

I look forward to seeing Stephanie go up against the Iron Chefs and hope this means they will reboot Iron Chef

I think they will.  They are looking for new blood is how I see it.  I like IC but I do get tired of the same faces.  I didn't watch consistently so maybe I missed some.   Found this list.  So if two are retiring and the others have busy schedules it makes sense they are aiming to re seed the show.

Mario Batali (retired)

Bobby Flay.

Wolfgang Puck (retired)

Masaharu Morimoto.

Cat Cora (retired)

Michael Symon.

Jose Garces.

Marc Forgione.

6 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I think they will.  They are looking for new blood is how I see it.  I like IC but I do get tired of the same faces.  I didn't watch consistently so maybe I missed some.   Found this list.  So if two are retiring and the others have busy schedules it makes sense they are aiming to re seed the show.

Mario Batali (retired)

Bobby Flay.

Wolfgang Puck (retired)

Masaharu Morimoto.

Cat Cora (retired)

Michael Symon.

Jose Garces.

Marc Forgione.

Close.

On 5/16/2017 at 9:55 AM, aquarian1 said:

I liked the specialties, too.  I also think that having so many iron chefs hurt ICA.  3-4 worked great for the original.  But at some point we had 7+.  Here's the full list, the last 2 are no longer iron chefs, but they overlapped with the first list at some point.  That's just too many, imo.

1. Bobby Flay
  2. Marc Forgione
  3. Jose Garces
  4. Alex Guarnaschelli
  5. Masaharu Morimoto
  6. Michael Symon
  7. Geoffrey Zakarian
  • Mario Batalli
  • Cat Cora

I had posted the full list in the Compare and Contrast thread.  I didn't include Wolfgang Puck because he was only on one episode.  I think he was there just for the special, and not part of an on-going series.  I still think there's too many, unless some of the 7 are going to retire. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to Iron Chef on my TV again, with new episodes, and I think Stephanie would be a great addition (assuming she makes it), I just hope they retool it a bit.

• Love 2

they haven't made a new Iron Chef episode in ages, have they? Does FN even show reruns at a regular time? I used to watch the Saturday at 5pm episodes, but that stopped years ago, as I recall.

• Love 1

Stephanie is now an Iron Chef!  Excellent.  I knew she won before it was announced.  She definitely smoked Symon.  Her cheese ice cream blew them away.  They preferred her dish over Morimoto's as well.  I couldn't tell  if they thought Bobby's releno was was innovative enough but he probably got a higher score on taste. 

I was disappointed they didn't break down the scores.   

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Alright, I'll accept Stephanie Izzard as an Iron Chef.  But her beating Morimoto by one point when he made 5 dishes to her one dish? I can't stomach that!  

She made 2.  Often more dishes puts you at a disadvantage and it hurt him, clearly. 

• Love 3

I am terrifically excited that she won, but part of me cannot get over how ultimately pointless this all would have been had she not pulled it out. So I am just a little suspicious.

It was a fast-paced episode, with a lot of the human side of Iron Chefs Symon and Morimoto being shown (Symon throwing out his pasta; Morimoto asking cutely for fish as the last secret ingredient). And of course, Stephanie herself nearly blowing the 2nd challenge and struggling with the ice cream machine. There was a lot less time for snark from Alton. Tense and engaging.

Seemed like the Iron Chefs were a little rusty, what with all the comments about just being back in the kitchen. Stephanie had the advantage of practice.

Nevertheless, she definitely deserved it, and the respect and congratulations from the assembled Iron Chefs struck me as genuine. Can't wait to go to one of her restaurants. 

• Love 4

Congratulations to Chef Izard.  I didn't see that coming, until she stuffed Michael Symon, and Morimoto put up five dishes.

Bold choice for Stephanie to go head-to-head with each Iron Chef, as their particular specialties showed up on the altar.  Flay's choice of chile rellano was so predictable. though.  I'd have given him a Goose Egg for originality if I were judging that match.  Bobby Flay is the ONE Iron Chef who continues to hone his competitive skills during the IC hiatus, doing "Beat Bobby Flay"....where he cooks whatever is the challenger's "signature dish", so I was not surprised to see him win, even though the secret ingredient was right in his comfort zone.

I really hope they re-boot Iron Chef America.  I am sick to death of stupid shows on Food Network.  Their idiot competition shows (fakers and cons) are awful.  And while I'm complaining, could they please turn down the bloody volume and rah-rah on The Kitchen?  And someone kick Jeff (the idiot) Mauro in the xxxx? 

Truly, I wish they'd have a Food Network Revisited Channel, where they put on re-runs of Ming Tsai, The Two Hot Tamales, Sarah Molton, David Lieberman, etc. all day long.  I'm also super sick of "celebrity" chefs, even Barbara Cooper!  There's a reason most of us watch FN, and that is to learn new things to try in the kitchen.  Guy's Grocery Games (or the 77th rerun of DD&D) doesn't cut it.

Even IF Gauntlet was a PR stunt to test the waters, Stephanie Izard was the perfect choice to give it a jump start.  Original, smart, and pleasant to watch.  I, for one, am excited to see ICA re-booted.  And I still love Flay, Simon, Morimoto as the originals, and Zacharian, Guarnishelli, and Forgione (have rewatched the Next Iron Chef they've run lately, and Mark Forgione is much better than I'd remembered).  I really would like to see Elizabeth Falkner as an IC.  She was robbed, IMO.  Best chef to never have won that competition.

• Love 2
(edited)
25 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I'm looking forward to seeing IC back on my tv. FN is going to do that, right?

That's the show which got me interested in The Food Network! I used to watch late night competitions of IC when it was still based in Japan I guess! Translations and "voice overs" needed with everyone speaking Japanese; IC, sous chefs, & judges! That made me watch "IC America," "The Next Iron Chef" and "The Next FN Star!" I've fallen off of late barely glancing at "Beat Bobby Flay" & "Chopped!" Happy to see Stephanie accomplish so much in the last 10 years or so! I still haven't been by any of her restaurants! We have so many choices in Chicago area; sometimes not worth the effort to hunt the places down! I've never really been into Nouveaux cuisine and it actually bugs me how much food is handled due to presentation being stressed! I'll live with a pea that rolled into mashed potatoes! Such a waste of time and effort; food is food no matter the vessel and so called current ideas of serving! I've never done Tapas, but in my advanced age, I might prefer just a little of a variety, rather than something heavy and family style!

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 2

Even knowing that Stephanie was going to win, otherwise the show was ultimately pointless, the judge's comments left me cold. No way did her food beat Morimoto. I will never believe that, and also give the side eye to Symon for throwing his pasta out and suspect that he was told he would lose that round, because they were giving Flay the win for round one, so we had her lose the first one, win the second one and the cliffhanger would be Morimoto; they just didn't edit it that way until the end. Possibly because it is such a typical television trope that it is expected.

She'll make a fine Iron Chef so I have no complaints about her winning, but don't like to be lied to on a show when I'm not expecting it, which I should have been, so bad on me. 

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Christina said:

Even knowing that Stephanie was going to win, otherwise the show was ultimately pointless, the judge's comments left me cold. No way did her food beat Morimoto. I will never believe that, and also give the side eye to Symon for throwing his pasta out and suspect that he was told he would lose that round, because they were giving Flay the win for round one, so we had her lose the first one, win the second one and the cliffhanger would be Morimoto; they just didn't edit it that way until the end. Possibly because it is such a typical television trope that it is expected.

She'll make a fine Iron Chef so I have no complaints about her winning, but don't like to be lied to on a show when I'm not expecting it, which I should have been, so bad on me. 

This. I'm a Food Network whore and I will watch these shows... but this.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, riprock said:

I am terrifically excited that she won, but part of me cannot get over how ultimately pointless this all would have been had she not pulled it out. 

Srsly. I found myself wondering if a stagehand was going to come out and haul the fourth podium away, if Stephanie lost. Awkward.

• Love 2

I wondered about the point manipulation too, since hasn't IC in all its incarnations had only two women?  And Cat Cora's "retired".  I'm happy for Stephanie though, because she really can cook and doesn't make me want to turn the channel.

• Love 3
(edited)

While I am happy for (Iron) Chef Izard, following the above posts I too wonder how much shenanigans played a role here. I had a feeling the scoring system would be something along these lines, but really, they apparently don't understand the meaning of the title of their own show. To "run the gauntlet" typically means you have to beat EVERYONE YOU FACE IN SUCCESSION. She didn't beat three Iron Chefs -- she lost to one and beat the other two, and both of the ones she beat kneecapped themselves (Symon by throwing out not-quite-perfect pasta and Morimoto by giving himself so many chances for error). At least this finale felt a bit more like Iron Chef should than the episodes up until now, and I was thrilled to have Morimoto back on my screen. We shall see where things go from here.

Edited by dewelar
Eh, the more I think about it, that wasn't quite right...
  • Love 4

I think the whole thing was an elaborate way to drum up interest and ensure that people believed that Iron Chef Izard was qualified...  but it was still fun to watch.  Loved the expression of pure joy on the new Iron Chef's face when she won.  I hope this means there will some new Iron Chef episodes coming up.

• Love 4

Oh yeah, I call shenanigans even if I am happy for her and glad she won. That's one advantage The Next Iron Chef had.  It didn't involve a hard-to-believe scenario of beating three Iron Chefs.

• Love 2

Well, that was.....completely expected. Stephanie has been the frontrunner since the first episode, & I can't see them doing all this & then have her lose.

• Love 3

Stephanie is qualified to be an IC.  It doesn't matter, to me, if there was some manipulation to get her into the position to win.  Her final dishes passed muster. 

Her ice cream impressed Ludo and made him twinkle.  How many can say they made that happen?!  They may have requested the ICs hold back a little in the final challenge but I doubt the scores were fudged.  Morimoto made 5 dishes and his fish was over cooked in one and another was not special.  When I saw him to so much I knew Stephanie had this.  And Symon doing ravioli also did not radiate an IC effort.  

I think they will resurrect IC but maybe not until they have another Gauntlet to get one more. 

• Love 3

It was obvious to me that Stephanie was going to win even if she served broiled wood chips with a miso-urine glaze accompanied by a poop ice cream drizzled with a toenail crumble.  I don't disagree that she deserved the title, I just have issues with how the whole night was pre-planned.  I have a hard time believing that she didn't know that the three ingredients were going to be tailored to each IC, and that she was not encouraged to match them to each.

Although I was impressed with her offerings, I have a hard time believing that she can beat Morimoto.  Morimoto is the king of the IC.  I don't care that he made 5 dishes which gave himself the opportunity to be criticised more.  She lost to Flay by 4 points, beat Symon by 6.  I was convinced she was going to lost to Morimoto by 1.  So she'd still be ahead.  But I guess they wanted the optics of her beating two out of three?

if IC is supposed to be the grand dame of culinary achievement, as was said earlier in the season, it would have been nice for Food Network to put the other competitors in hotels for just a few more nights so they could be there and cheer her on.   Also, why not pay to have all the IC there?  After all, greatest achievement and all.  Surely they can make the time if paid enough.

Looking forward to new ICA battles.  Except those with Garces.  I still resent his win and I find looking at him sweating all over his food to be very unappealing.

• Love 5

I am amazed that someone would voluntarily look at an altar of peppers and pick Flay; look at an altar of cheese and not pick Morimoto. I can just imagine what Grueneberg would have done with those choices.  Those options, however, really felt like producer manipulation.  Also, if you asked me which two Iron Chefs would be most willing to play along and be beaten, it would be Symon and Morimoto.

All that said, I also think it's perfectly plausible that this competition was on the up-and-up.  Symon's dish was very much his style of dish. It also sounded like it would have been absolutely delicious if the pasta had been cooked perfectly.  Also, I easily believe that Izard could beat Morimoto -- why not?  He's a legend and an awesome cook but he has the lowest winning percentage of any Iron Chef other than Forgione. He only wins about 6 out of 10 of his battles. Honestly, I think he cares much less about winning than does somebody like Bobby Flay. 

If you want a structural reason why the challenger in a format like this would have an advantage  against 3 Iron Chefs -- the challenger gets 3 tries to refine her or his cooking to the palate of the judges.  They can course correct after each dish while the Iron Chef is cooking blind.

I guess I prefer to think that cooking competitions are judged based on the food in front of them or else it becomes really hard for me to watch.

• Love 9

Morimoto is a superior chef but not untouchable.  One reason he dazzles most is that his food is unfamiliar to us.  He has been put on a pedestal by many viewers.   

From Wikipedia 

Bobby Flay- 43 wins out of 61 challenges.

Symon- 34 out of 42

Morimoto- 26 out of 44  

5 minutes ago, rab01 said:

Also, if you asked me which two Iron Chefs would be most willing to play along and be beaten, it would be Symon and Morimoto.

All that said, I also think it's perfectly plausible that this competition was on the up-and-up.  Symon's dish was very much his style of dish. It also sounded like it would have been absolutely delicious if the pasta had been cooked perfectly.  Also, I easily believe that Izard could beat Morimoto -- why not?

I agree. 

7 minutes ago, rab01 said:

If you want a structural reason why the challenger in a format like this would have an advantage  against 3 Iron Chefs -- the challenger gets 3 tries to refine her or his cooking to the palate of the judges.  They can course correct after each dish while the Iron Chef is cooking blind.

Yes. 

And we have a new iron chef!  That means it will come back at some point.  I cannot think of anyone more deserving than Stephanie.  

• Love 5

Had to DVR the show and just finished watching it. The first thing I noticed was that it appears that Morimoto had some hair plug work done. That was noticeable when they were showing earlier clips of him. He had a decided receding hairline and then boom he has a full head of hair. I know Morimoto is the king of IC but he cooks the same thing every time. There is the soup, the crudo, the fried etc. He was cooking the same "menu" during his ICJapan and ICAmerica challenges. He does do well on the presentation.

I felt that she was going to be an IC. The Network doesn't do a set-up like that just to say NO.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, rab01 said:

I am amazed that someone would voluntarily look at an altar of peppers and pick Flay; look at an altar of cheese and not pick Morimoto. I can just imagine what Grueneberg would have done with those choices.  Those options, however, really felt like producer manipulation.  Also, if you asked me which two Iron Chefs would be most willing to play along and be beaten, it would be Symon and Morimoto.

All that said, I also think it's perfectly plausible that this competition was on the up-and-up.  Symon's dish was very much his style of dish. It also sounded like it would have been absolutely delicious if the pasta had been cooked perfectly.  Also, I easily believe that Izard could beat Morimoto -- why not?  He's a legend and an awesome cook but he has the lowest winning percentage of any Iron Chef other than Forgione. He only wins about 6 out of 10 of his battles. Honestly, I think he cares much less about winning than does somebody like Bobby Flay. 

I guess I prefer to think that cooking competitions are judged based on the food in front of them or else it becomes really hard for me to watch.

I think that's what makes Stephanie appear fearless! She will come at you even if no experience using an ingredient, process, or utensil! I wasn't paying that much attention to the show; more background noise than anything, but I did hear she was having problems with the ice cream! Sure enough, with all that anxiety and drama of being put thru the machine again with more sugar, it wound up being the best thing she made all night IIRC! Reality shows are so predictable at times; esp. when someone "mouths off" saying "I got this!" You can be assured something unforeseen will occur and they'll go down in flames! The doubting Thomas' like Stephanie and Richard Blais are great TV because they don't have the ego you see in other chefs! They're very down to Earth and sometimes overly self-deprecating! They're just damned good it seems! ...

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 2

I believe that Stephanie used the phrase "layers of flavor" three times in the first 5 minutes of the show. It just seems like a trite, overused, thing to me.

And I agree that Morimoto's new hairdo looks rather fake.

18 hours ago, riprock said:

I am terrifically excited that she won, but part of me cannot get over how ultimately pointless this all would have been had she not pulled it out. So I am just a little suspicious.

Hmmmm excellent point.

I saw an article online about Izard's "win" in which Alton "teases" that new episodes of ICA might be on the way, because wouldn't it be great to have a new season of ICA to showcase a new Iron Chef?  Well, yeah.  I'm kind of surprised that nothing has been announced.  I realise that they weren't certain of how the show would be received while it was taping (Izard said it taped in January) but I'm sure the Food Network execs have been looking at the ratings over the past several weeks.  It's odd that they wouldn't have taken the opportunity to announce a new season.

Especially since Alton was so happy to finally be "The Chairman".  I can't imagine that he would not want the opportunity to preside over Kitchen Stadium.

I would love to see a new season of ICA and in particular, I want to see Shota Nakajima, Michael Gulotta and Nyesha Arrington again.  I don't need to see Gruenberg, Long Hair or Hair Bun.  I came to this season late, started with episode 3.  Went back and saw the re-run of Episode 1 last night.  I think Arrington was robbed.  I thought her dishes looked fantastic.  They sounded great, she received generally good comics, and the plating was beautiful.  Gruenberg's first dish made the esteemed (*eyeroll*) Donatella Arpaia Stewart cough and choke and yet she still got better marks than Arrington on taste?  Arrington's dishes were a lot more creative.  She deserves another appearance on ICA.

I do agree with the comment upthread that I found Izard's use of the term "layers of flavor" overdone.  I hate all those catchphrases that always seem to pop up on Food Network competition shows.  I particularly can't stand "what is your culinary point of view" and then have to listen to contestants say tired and trite things like "my food is all about big bold flavors with a zesty finish".  Really?  You mean you're not going to tell people that your food is flavorless and bland?

• Love 6

As if we didn't know.  I got spoiled, and it was hardly any surprise.  After all, what would've been the point to get Stephanie this far only to lose?  But what I would've really liked to have seen was blind tasting/judging.  I suspect it wouldn't have made any difference but at least it might have amped the suspense just a little.

8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I saw an article online about Izard's "win" in which Alton "teases" that new episodes of ICA might be on the way, because wouldn't it be great to have a new season of ICA to showcase a new Iron Chef?  Well, yeah.  I'm kind of surprised that nothing has been announced.  I realise that they weren't certain of how the show would be received while it was taping (Izard said it taped in January) but I'm sure the Food Network execs have been looking at the ratings over the past several weeks.  It's odd that they wouldn't have taken the opportunity to announce a new season

If Food Network is officially reviving ICA,hopefully theyll also bring back Kitchen Stadium(was a bit disappointed not seeing that set,,figured there would be a live audience and the eliminated contestants cheering Stephanie on)..

Maybe also Mark Dacascos can find time in his schedule to re-appear as The Chairman,and what is Kevin Brausch(sp) doing nowadays? Bring him back as the floor reporter

• Love 4
20 hours ago, wings707 said:

Her ice cream impressed Ludo and made him twinkle.  How many can say they made that happen?!  . 

Don't get me started on Ludo.  I'm a complete and total sucker for handsome men with French accents..

• Love 1
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Don't get me started on Ludo.  I'm a complete and total sucker for handsome men with French accents..

I am with you on that one.  I was sad to see Bourdain's  The Taste cancelled because I liked the show and Ludo was a big part of that.   

• Love 3
8 hours ago, TDT said:

Maybe also Mark Dacascos can find time in his schedule to re-appear as The Chairman,and what is Kevin Brausch(sp) doing nowadays? Bring him back as the floor reporter

I can't stand Mark DaCaca, and I don't think he would ever be coming back.  In the first episode of this series Alton said that he is "finally" the Chairman.  I get that the Chairman in Original Recipe IC and ICA was always just ceremonial, but when you added in Alton as the technical commentator and Kevin Brausch as the floor reporter, they really had one extraneous guy.  I'm not even sure if they would bring Kevin Brausch back.  Seems like Alton with all of his iPad screens and monitors can easily see what's going on without even moving.

I think that Stephanie displayed especially one necessity in an Iron Chef: self control.  She showed me that she's not only gifted at offense but at defense as well.  When her ice cream gave her serious trouble, she didn't panic (on the outside), and fast as greased lightning thought through a remedy that worked.   Just when something appears to be failing, but being expected, as an Iron Chef, to make magic happen, must be brutal on the nerves!  Stephanie seems to relish that roller coaster ride.  I hope to watch her in Iron Chef Stadium before too long.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Seems like Alton with all of his iPad screens and monitors can easily see what's going on without even moving.

What were all those green Christmas tree bubble light things sticking up out of his monitors?  I kept rewinding back trying to figure it out.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

What were all those green Christmas tree bubble light things sticking up out of his monitors?  I kept rewinding back trying to figure it out.

I think they were wireless antenna for each of the cameras.   Just a guess, of course.

As for the French chefs, I wish someone would give Eric Ripert a show.  I love to listen to him, he's a very kind man, and he is amazing to watch (cook).  I loved his internet series, but I want more, more, more!

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

As for the French chefs, I wish someone would give Eric Ripert a show.

He did have a show for awhile - can't remember what network it was on (not FN). It didn't last very long.

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

It's not beyond the possibility that anything and everything is being watched by someone! I just assume I'm on camera at all times; traffic cams, private & public entrances, ATM's, store surveillance, gov't buildings, & nanny cams if babysitting! ;-)

9 hours ago, blackwing said:

Seems like Alton with all of his iPad screens and monitors can easily see what's going on without even moving.

Hmmm...this has potential. Have Alton as chairman be in something like a box at the opera above and behind the Kitchen Stadium stage. He can loom over the competitors as he reveals the secret ingredient, then sit back and watch everything on his screens to do commentary. We'd still need a Kevin-equivalent on the floor, but I think that would be satisfyingly grandiose in the ICA tradition :) .

On 5/21/2017 at 9:17 AM, aquarian1 said:

Close.

I had posted the full list in the Compare and Contrast thread.  I didn't include Wolfgang Puck because he was only on one episode.  I think he was there just for the special, and not part of an on-going series.  I still think there's too many, unless some of the 7 are going to retire. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to Iron Chef on my TV again, with new episodes, and I think Stephanie would be a great addition (assuming she makes it), I just hope they retool it a bit.

4 of those are employed by recently had a show on FN and I think the OG will stay so we are at 6. Then we'll likely see the OF phase out if they do another ICG season. Also it appears BB&Q was cancelled and while it wasn't likely the format changed caused ratings to crater, maybe it was to give him time to do ICG.

On 5/21/2017 at 10:05 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Alright, I'll accept Stephanie Izzard as an Iron Chef.  But her beating Morimoto by one point when he made 5 dishes to her one dish? I can't stomach that!  

To be fair, 4 of his dishes got dinged while her one didn't really get dinged.

On 5/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, blackwing said:

It was obvious to me that Stephanie was going to win even if she served broiled wood chips with a miso-urine glaze accompanied by a poop ice cream drizzled with a toenail crumble.  I don't disagree that she deserved the title, I just have issues with how the whole night was pre-planned.  I have a hard time believing that she didn't know that the three ingredients were going to be tailored to each IC, and that she was not encouraged to match them to each.

Although I was impressed with her offerings, I have a hard time believing that she can beat Morimoto.  Morimoto is the king of the IC.  I don't care that he made 5 dishes which gave himself the opportunity to be criticised more.  She lost to Flay by 4 points, beat Symon by 6.  I was convinced she was going to lost to Morimoto by 1.  So she'd still be ahead.  But I guess they wanted the optics of her beating two out of three?

if IC is supposed to be the grand dame of culinary achievement, as was said earlier in the season, it would have been nice for Food Network to put the other competitors in hotels for just a few more nights so they could be there and cheer her on.   Also, why not pay to have all the IC there?  After all, greatest achievement and all.  Surely they can make the time if paid enough.

Looking forward to new ICA battles.  Except those with Garces.  I still resent his win and I find looking at him sweating all over his food to be very unappealing.

Maybe these are the only 3 returning to the reboot? Maybe they tried to get the rest but schedules.

If some of the current IC chefs are ready to hang up their jackets, I could be happy with a cast of some old and some new chefs.  I started out watching this show when it was all Japanese and have loved it ever since. Arguably, it's the best of all the cooking competitions.

Another reason for my hoping that Stephanie would beat Sarah, aside from Sarah's behavior on Top Chef, was that IMHO Sarah is very, very immature. She comes out with comments like "pasta queen" without thinking first, then giggles and prattles on.  She would stick out like a sore thumb against the likes of Cat Cora (no longer there) or Alex Guarnaschelli.  Stephanie, on the other hand, is much more mature, more serious-minded, yet still lots of fun when it's called for. 

I wonder whether the FN will air another "Gauntlet" and take more than one new chef.

• Love 2

"I'm sweating like Jose Garces!" made me snort-laugh. I loves me some affectionate trash talk.

Yeah, not surprised about the outcome, but still pleased. Iron Chef Stef has a nice ring!

I've yet to ever hear a chef talking about using cheek meat without gesturing to his/her own cheek. I kind of look forward to it, frankly.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, attica said:

"I'm sweating like Jose Garces!" made me snort-laugh. I loves me some affectionate trash talk.

Yeah, not surprised about the outcome, but still pleased. Iron Chef Stef has a nice ring!

I've yet to ever hear a chef talking about using cheek meat without gesturing to his/her own cheek. I kind of look forward to it, frankly.

"Beef Cheeks" drove a character in Bravo's, "Below Deck" to distraction a couple seasons ago! Even though the guests on the cruise loved it, the Head Stewardess undermined the chef calling it a "cop out!" She's bent and needs a real life! In her words "it's a trick! Beef is put in a pressure cooker for so many hours it says, "I surrender"!"