Type keyword(s) to search

Iron Chef Gauntlet: Gladiators Ready!

I guess we got the Chicago finale I expected.  And they mentioned it was a Chicago showdown at least three times.   I've eaten at Girl & the Goat.  Now I want to try Monteverdi but I expect lines will be extra long now.  

Is it just me or did Stephanie seem a bit snitty this episode?  I've never gotten much of a take on her personality but what I saw tonight wasn't too appealing.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was surprised they revealed who'd go up against the chefs next week. I thought they'd reveal it at the beginning of the next episode since they'd done one elimination already.

Since I never watched Sarah's season of Top Chef, I never hated her.  I did watch Stephanie's and did like her.  So while I may have slightly preferred Stephanie, I would not have been upset if Stephanie had won.

In fact, I was a little surprised Sarah didn't win as she seemed to have more creggtive and egg-forward dishes.

Edited by Irlandesa
12 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I was surprised they revealed who'd go up against the chefs next week. I thought they'd reveal it at the beginning of the next episode since they'd done one elimination already.

Since I never watched Sarah's season of Top Chef, I never hated her.  I did watch Stephanie's and did like her.  So while I may have slightly preferred Stephanie, I would not have been upset if Stephanie had won.

In fact, I was a little surprised Stephanie didn't win as she seemed to have more creggtive and egg-forward dishes.

I'm thrilled Stephanie won and she probably is a bit snitty/snotty. I don't think I've ever seen her lose; won season 4, game back for challenges during subsequent seasons, and beat an "IC" with a secret ingredient of "bread" IIRC several years ago. She's probably a lot like Richard Blais; always a little too much in the way of self deprecating, but the most confident chefs I can think of OTTH! They're creative, innovative, and almost never disappoint. ...Never gone to either girl's restaurant. Chicago has so much going on, it's not necessary to go out of the way to go see their establishments. When I lived out in the suburbs of Chicago, we had fine enough places highly rated enough to never have to go into the city. A small municipality called Forest Park, just west of Oak Park and the city limits has a noted "restaurant row" and the  whole city can be walked in a day.  ...

• Love 1

When this show started, I was rooting for Stephanie to win it all and hoping Sarah would be sent home right away.  By the time this episode started, I was pulling for Jason Dady because he was the only one of the final three I actually liked.  I wasn't surprised they kept the two women from Chicago but I was disappointed.  I suspect that Alton as the only judge maneuvered his decisions in that direction.

Sarah must have been sobbing in the wings after she lost.  Her eyes were bright red during her last TH.

• Love 3

I'm glad Sarah is out of the running. No way is she Iron Chef caliber.

I don't know how Stephanie is going to best Flay, Symon, AND Morimoto.  I'll give her winning against Flay if they use an ingredient that he isn't good with. I'll call all manner of bullshit if she beats Symon or Morimoto.

• Love 5

According to AB on FB, the scores for the 3 battles against the 3 ICs are accumulative. Stephanie could still possibly become IC by barely losing to 2 ICs and whopping the third in scoring so that her accumulative score will still be higher. Improbable but still possible.

• Love 1

Of course Sarah Gruenenberg isn't IC quality.  All she ever makes is pasta.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pasta, but there is no way to parlay being an excellent pasta chef into the multi-faceted cuisine repertoire necessary to be an Iron Chef.  Correct decision reached, although the judging seemed to indicate it would be an opposite conclusion to what we got.    Did anyone else think ALL of the plating (except for Stephanie's Japanese pancake) seemed rather mundane?  I'd have loved to have seen Stephanie's dessert on a black dish.  Then it would have really popped!

• Love 8

According to AB on FB, the scores for the 3 battles against the 3 ICs are accumulative. Stephanie could still possibly become IC by barely losing to 2 ICs and whopping the third in scoring so that her accumulative score will still be higher. Improbable but still possible.

Ah.  I'll bet that's how they give Stephanie the win.  Any chef can beat any other chef on any given day but I'd have a hard time believing anyone could beat all three Iron Chefs one after another especially since they're all highly experienced and seasoned competitors.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Of course Sarah Gruenenberg isn't IC quality.  All she ever makes is pasta.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pasta, but there is no way to parlay being an excellent pasta chef into the multi-faceted cuisine repertoire necessary to be an Iron Chef.  Correct decision reached, although the judging seemed to indicate it would be an opposite conclusion to what we got.    Did anyone else think ALL of the plating (except for Stephanie's Japanese pancake) seemed rather mundane?  I'd have loved to have seen Stephanie's dessert on a black dish.  Then it would have really popped!

Exactly this.  Yes, pasta is her "thing", but yeah I can't see her being able to translate that into every single battle. nor would i want to.  However, I did think in this last battle it did seem like she got better reviews than Stephanie. But Stephanie did show more range and creativity. I agree with the final choice.

Though, I do agree with other posters that I'm not sure the has the chops to beat the Iron Chefs she'll go up against.  Quite frankly, I don't think any of the contestants had the chops. Maybe the Japanese chef (Fukizawa?) in a couple years. I would love to seem him go up against Morimoto.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Blonde Gator said:

Every time in Sarah's talking head takes, when she'd invoke pasta, I was reminded of Alyson Hannigan in American Pie.  "One time - in band camp...".

We get it.  You do pasta.  You've been to Italy.  So have the Huns and Visigoths.

Now go back to Chicago and be quiet. 

• Love 16

SO HAPPY that Sarah the fat lost. She's no where near IC quality. She really thought she had the win. Sorry, Sarah, you're NOT interesting, and your food is average and same old, same old. BUH BYE - LOSER! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually thought the judges dinging Stephanie for not featuring the egg enough might have cost her. But she's shown more creativity and willingness to try new things, which I think puts her more at IC level, while Sarah tried not to stray too far from her tried and true pasta.

• Love 3

Now we know for sure that the edit blantantly tells us who loses.  

A raviolo with an egg yolk inside is not innovative; it is old news.   Judging on this alone I knew Sarah was not going to win.  

Stephanie is subdued and a bit edgy on this, which is very different than TC.  Time has passed, she now owns a restaurant and is taking this comp very seriously.  The atmosphere is tense; you could see that in Dady, too. 

I am thrilled she will now face the ICs in some way that they are keeping secret.  I don't like secrets. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, wings707 said:

A raviolo with an egg yolk inside is not innovative; it is old news.     . 

I am thrilled she will now face the ICs in some way that they are keeping secret.  I don't like secrets. 

I've never had the nerve to try the egg yolk raviolo.  I'm ascared!

Secrets?  Must pursue this line of investigation.

(edited)
11 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Every time in Sarah's talking head takes, when she'd invoke pasta, I was reminded of Alyson Hannigan in American Pie.  "One time - in band camp...".

We get it.  You do pasta.  You've been to Italy.  So have the Huns and Visigoths.

Now go back to Chicago and be quiet. 

LOL.gif

I'm a German/Swede, and cook pretty fair Mexican.........and even I can make delicious pasta.   I made Ann Burrell's raviolo w/egg.........and they looked a damned sight better than what Sarah Gruenenberg put before the judges in the last challenge.  (No way those eggs were cooked in one minute, duck eggs would need at least two, maybe three).

Edited by Blonde Gator
fat fingers
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

LOL.gif

I'm a German/Swede, and cook pretty fair Mexican.........and even I can make delicious pasta.   I made Ann Burrell's raviolo w/egg.........and they looked a damned sight better than what Sarah Gruenenberg put before the judges in the last challenge.  (No way those eggs were cooked in one minute, duck eggs would need at least two, maybe three).

What time is dinner?  I'll be there.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, attica said:

I confess to be mystfied at why the judges seem to think meringues are hard to do in an hour. I make them all the time: 10-15 minutes in the mixer, 10-15 minutes in the oven. And I don't even have schmancy commercial equipment.

I kind of love Stephanie's potty mouth. It me, as the kidz say.

I wonder if Sarah would have had better luck with the emu egg if she tried the knife-heel thing closer to the top end of the egg rather than around the middle. Less trauma for the contents, I would think. (But I don't actually know, so...)

Possibly cause they are making three dishes?

2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I've never had the nerve to try the egg yolk raviolo.  I'm ascared!

Secrets?  Must pursue this line of investigation.

I have never eaten them but but I have seen it done on TV enough to know you will not win a challenge with it. 

I will meet you at @Blonde Gator's house for dinner.  She must live in FL.  

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I have never eaten them but but I have seen it done on TV enough to know you will not win a challenge with it. 

I will meet you at @Blonde Gator's house for dinner.  She must live in FL.  

OK.  I'll bring a covered dish.

Speaking of gizzards.....My late husband loved them!  I would brown them and then cook in brown gravy until they were tender.

I must say over rice they were goooood.  Fried chicken livers are wonderful!  There is a café close to me that has them (chicken livers)and they are really  good.  Not as good as mine....but really tasty!  :)

• Love 3

Happy that Stephanie won. I just could not get into Sarah. She was a one trick pony; pasta pasta pasta. Her dishes did not look one bit inviting. Sure they tasted OK but looked blah. I hope Stephanie goes on to become an Iron Chef and makes Mr. Blaise look real small. He never got over losing to her on Top Chef.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, mlp said:

When this show started, I was rooting for Stephanie to win it all and hoping Sarah would be sent home right away.  By the time this episode started, I was pulling for Jason Dady because he was the only one of the final three I actually liked.  I wasn't surprised they kept the two women from Chicago but I was disappointed.  I suspect that Alton as the only judge maneuvered his decisions in that direction.

Sarah must have been sobbing in the wings after she lost.  Her eyes were bright red during her last TH.

Good riddance! I still haven't forgotten or forgiven her b!tchy behavior on Top Chef years ago; bullying Beverly along with Lindsey & Heather (Chicago Mafia) IIRC. They were just retched women who bawled their eyes out when called out on their behavior at the reunion! Sarah wailing, "I don't want my nieces and nephews seeing that." Not sure if they even attempted to apologize. It was barely watchable and I'm so glad she lost season 9 as well in the "TC" finale against Paul Qui. ...

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Good riddance! I still haven't forgotten or forgiven her b!tchy behavior on Top Chef years ago; bullying Beverly along with Lindsey & Heather (Chicago Mafia)

Personally I never watch reunion shows (they bore me) but based on what I saw on the (we all know, edited for a story) main show, I saw nothing that terrible. People were irritated with Beverly, and said a few unkind things to her. Bullying? That's ridiculous. If she was upset at the reunion show, maybe it's because of how it was edited. JMHO of course.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Personally I never watch reunion shows (they bore me) but based on what I saw on the (we all know, edited for a story) main show, I saw nothing that terrible. People were irritated with Beverly, and said a few unkind things to her. Bullying? That's ridiculous. If she was upset at the reunion show, maybe it's because of how it was edited. JMHO of course.

Oh that's the way it's going to go; "I got the villain edit which is why I'm crying on national TV!" lol! Hilarious! .....

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Avon.Blakes7 said:

Good riddance! I still haven't forgotten or forgiven her b!tchy behavior on Top Chef years ago; bullying Beverly along with Lindsey & Heather (Chicago Mafia) IIRC. They were just retched women who bawled their eyes out when called out on their behavior at the reunion! Sarah wailing, "I don't want my nieces and nephews seeing that." Not sure if they even attempted to apologize. It was barely watchable and I'm so glad she lost season 9 as well in the "TC" finale against Paul Qui. ...

Sarah is a mean, nasty, b. Glad she lost.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ITALIA said:

Sarah is a mean, nasty, b. Glad she lost.

What's this crutch she has making pasta; "like it's like" the best in the history of pasta making? Stephanie isn't as limited thank Gawd and I see her going far! As I've said, I still can't ever remember her losing going back years! Her food must be Gawd's gift since she's throttled fellow contestants to an "Iron Chef!" ...

Edited by Avon.Blakes7
  • Love 1

This was actually the most I've liked Stephanie so far.  I didn't watch TC so I only base it on what I saw here but previously she seemed a little snotty and full of herself.  I don't mind competitiveness if it can be backed up with talent but her comments always seemed  to stress how nobody who was actually Iron Chef caliber would do thing like some of the other contestants did and how she was the only one who understood what it meant to be creative. Also, why does she only make Japanese dishes she's never tried before?  From the introductions, it didn't seem that her talent was just Japanese food.

• Love 1

I liked both women, but I was puzzled as to how Sarah Grueneberg would make a good Iron Chef.  "I know pasta, so that's what I'm going to make."  She made pasta every single time.  She should have demonstrated more range.

I do like Stephanie Izard.  I've eaten at all three of her restaurants in Chicago, and they are all fantastic.

She is pretty much assured of the Iron Chef title, right?  I can't imagine them going through all the trouble of making this show, eliminating people, and then at the very end, declare "oh..... so close.  Maybe next time".  Would be very anticlimactic.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, blackwing said:

She is pretty much assured of the Iron Chef title, right?  I can't imagine them going through all the trouble of making this show, eliminating people, and then at the very end, declare "oh..... so close.  Maybe next time".  Would be very anticlimactic.

I ended up really liking the show (focusing on the contestants rather than manic brigades of sous chef), but I still don't know what the payoff will be.  Will Stephanie be another Iron Chef, or kind of an Aluminum Chef Second Class?  The fact that they're combining all three IC faceoffs into one ep leaves the outcome up for grabs.

I'll be watching, of course.  Wild sushi couldn't drag me away.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I ended up really liking the show (focusing on the contestants rather than manic brigades of sous chef), but I still don't know what the payoff will be.  Will Stephanie be another Iron Chef, or kind of an Aluminum Chef Second Class?  The fact that they're combining all three IC faceoffs into one ep leaves the outcome up for grabs.

They said she will have to "run the gauntlet" of three Iron Chefs.  A gauntlet usually means facing difficult challenges one after another.  I guess I'm not sure what the format will be.  She might have to defeat each Chef to move on (i.e. she faces Bobby Flay first, beats him, then moves on to Symon, beats him, then moves on to the final challenge of Morimoto).  However, with a one hour format for airtime, it would be hard to imagine that there would be time to do judging in between to "allow" her to move on.  Also, if she were to lose the first battle, then show is done.  So most likely, I think it will be nonstop cooking for her.  She faces Flay in the appetizer round for 30 minutes, then immediately moves on to Symon in the entree round for an hour, then 30 minutes for dessert with Morimoto.  Then her meal is judged against the combined meal of the Iron Chefs.

I am 100% certain that no matter what she produces, the judges will deem her the victor and say she has earned her right to take her place among the pantheon of Iron Chefs.  The only uncertainty is what the secret ingredient will be.

• Love 6

Interesting that for the five-ingredient challenge they *all* included eggs and lemon. I guess oil, salt, and pepper didn't count -- wish they had been explicit about the exact parameters. I sort of thought the wood for smoking the salmon should count as an "ingredient."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Interesting that for the five-ingredient challenge they *all* included eggs and lemon. I guess oil, salt, and pepper didn't count -- wish they had been explicit about the exact parameters. I sort of thought the wood for smoking the salmon should count as an "ingredient."

On Top Chef they specify that. ...Oil usually counts as an ingredient IMB which is why butter is universal in most cooking! I see a lot of people grabbing oils that have some kind of flavor like Fish OIL. You know that's counted.

(edited)

oil couldn't have counted; the guy chef fried an egg and also talked about "lemon oil."

ETA though I guess he could have used a teflon pan, very hot (though it looked browned around the edges); is lemon oil something you can actually get directly from, you know, a lemon?

Edited by dleighg
(edited)
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I am confused about that, too.  They do need more ICs if they want to keep that show going.  It is difficult to schedule since all of them have such busy schedules.  New blood is needed.  On this theory I expect to see her win. 

I can also see them wanting Gauntlet to continue as a series and have the  4 (or whatever) winners of each run compete in a final challenge to again have them go against 3 ICs.  FN needs new shows.  And they need to seed Iron Chef America.   Time to put more faces in the mix.  

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

They said she will have to "run the gauntlet" of three Iron Chefs.  A gauntlet usually means facing difficult challenges one after another.  I guess I'm not sure what the format will be.  She might have to defeat each Chef to move on (i.e. she faces Bobby Flay first, beats him, then moves on to Symon, beats him, then moves on to the final challenge of Morimoto).  However, with a one hour format for airtime, it would be hard to imagine that there would be time to do judging in between to "allow" her to move on.  Also, if she were to lose the first battle, then show is done.  So most likely, I think it will be nonstop cooking for her.  She faces Flay in the appetizer round for 30 minutes, then immediately moves on to Symon in the entree round for an hour, then 30 minutes for dessert with Morimoto.  Then her meal is judged against the combined meal of the Iron Chefs.

I am 100% certain that no matter what she produces, the judges will deem her the victor and say she has earned her right to take her place among the pantheon of Iron Chefs.  The only uncertainty is what the secret ingredient will be.

I think you nailed the format here.  

Edited by wings707
2 hours ago, susannot said:

That format doesn't work because the finale is one hour.  So, 20 minutes apiece, at most.

I presume they're referring to time spent actually cooking, not time shown on screen :) .

• Love 2
On 5/15/2017 at 4:34 PM, nitrofishblue said:

I just could not get into Sarah. She was a one trick pony; pasta pasta pasta. Her dishes did not look one bit inviting.

She didn't just do pasta.  She won a chairman's challenge doing a beet schnitzel.  She also made soup, cardamom ice cream and a won ton, which while technically a pasta, is a different breed with different flavors.  One could say that Nakajima only does Japanese or Bobby always does things with a Southwestern twist but that is a real simplification of their skills.  I think Stephanie is the right one to go on because she is so daring but I won't down play Sarah's skills or her ability to be a IC.  And before someone tells me what a bitch she is or whatever, her cooking skills have nothing to do with her personality...some of the best chefs are some of the biggest assholes. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, dcubed said:

She didn't just do pasta. 

I agree, but she did kind of define herself as the "queen of pasta." And while pasta is wonderful, I think it is something that plenty of home cooks have mastered at a pretty high level. I don't go to a high end "foodie" restaurant and think of pasta as experimental and interesting.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I don't go to a high end "foodie" restaurant and think of pasta as experimental and interesting.

I have not been to her restaurant but ate at Spiaggia about six years ago and while the menu was "pasta centric" it wasn't anything like pasta I had ever had.  The fillings were unusual as were the flavors.  It was the farthest thing from traditional Italian pasta I could have imagined and it was delicious.

• Love 6
Just now, dcubed said:

I have not been to her restaurant but ate at Spiaggia about six years ago and while the menu was "pasta centric" it wasn't anything like pasta I had ever had.  The fillings were unusual as were the flavors.  It was the farthest thing from traditional Italian pasta I could have imagined and it was delicious.

Fair enough-

• Love 1

One thing bugged me about Sarah during the last head-to-head. She was a very wasteful chef. She ruined two emu eggs because she didn't crack them properly. She then cut just a few pieces off a chicken to use for her broth. The rest of the chicken minus wing tips and feet was wasted. It is a crime to see perfectly good food thrown in the trash because the chef screwed up. She isn't the only one that does this. Over the years of watching food competitions the amount of waste is disgusting. Maybe they should do a challenge where they must use every part of what ever cut of meat/poultry, nothing must be tossed away.

• Love 4

I have reruns of "Next Iron Chef"  Season 3 on in the background, and it occurs to me that the last winner was Alex G., in 2012.  They really do need new blood if this show is going to continue.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, dcubed said:

She didn't just do pasta.  She won a chairman's challenge doing a beet schnitzel.  She also made soup, cardamom ice cream and a won ton, which while technically a pasta, is a different breed with different flavors.  One could say that Nakajima only does Japanese or Bobby always does things with a Southwestern twist but that is a real simplification of their skills.  I think Stephanie is the right one to go on because she is so daring but I won't down play Sarah's skills or her ability to be a IC.  And before someone tells me what a bitch she is or whatever, her cooking skills have nothing to do with her personality...some of the best chefs are some of the biggest assholes. 

Perfect description of Miss Piggy.

Stephanie wins!  Shock, shock, surprise, surprise!  Thank goodness I was sitting down!  Again, I'm not unhappy about this all things considered, and just going based on the types of dishes she produced, it looks deserved.  But I think she was the clear favorite going into this.

Sarah makes pasta twice in one episode!  Again, more shock, more surprise!  And I even predicted the raviolo with egg in it, that's how much I watch these competitions and how predictable they are.

It's still bugging me that I can't remember why so many people don't like Sarah.  I watched her on Top Chef, but you know, they say memory is the first thing to go.  I would be lying if I said she wasn't starting to bug me on this show, though.  Something about the way she speaks plus the constant pasta.  I know she made a lot of other things but it does seem to be her fall-back a lot.

Speaking of that, I've noticed lately on these cooking competition shows that the judges are not getting on the contestants as much as they used to for staying in their comfort zones with the cuisine styles.  Tom Colicchio was always famous for getting on them for that, but he's probably the only judge that still does push them to branch out more.  I would think that being able to show an ability to be versatile with different cuisine styles is a requirement of an Iron Chef, and even with my bad memory I do seem to remember more of an emphasis being placed on that on "The Next Iron Chef".

Anyway, it should be interesting to see how they handle the next episode. 

• Love 2