Type keyword(s) to search

Iron Chef Gauntlet: Gladiators Ready!

Every chef in this season's group has impressive credentials which makes me think that the cachet of Iron Chef is legit and not just something FN thought up.  None of them seem to have any other reason to put themselves through the competition.  

I don't care much for Kevin Tien.  He may be a fantastic cook but he comes across as a very young hot shot who hasn't yet figured out that his style of bragging sounds juvenile.  He should take a lesson from my favorite, David LeFevre, who knows how to be assertive but low key and let his actions speak for themselves.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Maybe it was the bread as opposed to the filling.

He probably was but 2 slices does not send you into chubby, even with low carb.  I do a keto diet 80/20.  Before that one of my diets was a bagel vegetable sandwich for lunch with mayo.  No carbs for dinner and I was fine. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, mlp said:

Every chef in this season's group has impressive credentials which makes me think that the cachet of Iron Chef is legit and not just something FN thought up.  None of them seem to have any other reason to put themselves through the competition.  

I don't care much for Kevin Tien.  He may be a fantastic cook but he comes across as a very young hot shot who hasn't yet figured out that his style of bragging sounds juvenile.  He should take a lesson from my favorite, David LeFevre, who knows how to be assertive but low key and let his actions speak for themselves.

I agree.  They are seeking TV exposure because it is HUGE boost for business.  It puts them on the landscape. 

• Love 1

Does anyone else have an issue with the chefs and their talking head segments? I am really get tired of all the "being an Iron Chef" hype in everyone. All they do is talk about how special it all is because of wanting to be an Iron Chef; what an honor, oh so special; blah blah blah. To me it is getting way out of hand that it bugs me when I hear them talk. Hey, just cook. Show me a neat way to fix an ingredient. In the past they didn't do all this praising the Iron Chef system.

• Love 1

I was bummed to see chef Dale Mackay go.  I guess I would have been just as bummed if LeFevre went too.  I don't like that this show arbitrarily lets them pick anyone to put up for elimination.  

• Love 5
6 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Does anyone else have an issue with the chefs and their talking head segments? I am really get tired of all the "being an Iron Chef" hype in everyone. All they do is talk about how special it all is because of wanting to be an Iron Chef; what an honor, oh so special; blah blah blah. To me it is getting way out of hand that it bugs me when I hear them talk. Hey, just cook. Show me a neat way to fix an ingredient. In the past they didn't do all this praising the Iron Chef system.

Except for Alec G. she talked about it all the time.

6 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

How do we grade out Stephanie, since she has both won Top Chef as well as the Iron Chef Gauntlet to become a full-fledged Iron Chef? 

Edited by Sew Sumi

In that the FN likes to be in control of their shows, especially one as popular as Iron Chef, I just can't get it out of my head that they know which younger chefs they want on the show and which ones they don't want, thereby making the new Iron Chefs preordained.  In some cases it seems as if even the viewers can ascertain which ones will make it and which ones are good but not quite worthy.  If this is the case, it doesn't ruin the show for me.  There is enough suspense to hold my interest.  I'm impressed by the amount of talent out there and have hope that some of these good people will keep the FN from becoming the Bobby Flay network.

• Love 2

Chef says, I don't want Spain.  Come on editing monkeys, stop it!  Soooo of course he gets Spain.  Not clever. 

Ann Burrell is a bitch. Ugh, go away. 

I guessed the Thai women would win. She is good set decor. 

Wild boar.  Oh please.  What is the point?

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2

LaFevre's dish was Japanese food. Japanese food doesn't have to be complex...let the ingredients shine.

I really question Thaimee's abilities. Her ice cream dish did seem greek, but the flavors did not seem well conceived: lemon feta ice cream with olives and tomato with sugar and olive oil? And I was surprised she got away with undercooked boar in the showdown because Tien didn't really have any major technical flaws, and the undercooked meat would have rendered the whole dish inedible. Surprised she tried doing tartare before Alton told her not to, that seemed like a really odd choice.

Chef Gomes has great diversity in cooking styles, just like Izard, but she isn't particularly creative. Balloo seems sorta middle of the pack each time, but he can also cook international flavors. LaFevre is the only one worthy of being an Iron Chef of the group, but even he I don't think will pass the Gauntlet. 

• Love 3

I'm a new comer to Iron Chef. Having said that I did catch the final of Season 1 and like Stephanie as the winner. As for the start of Season 2 really don't care at all for how the final two of each show is picked. It should be in my opinion the bottom two competing to stay on.

And not having the chefs cook the same secret ingredient sucks. Having 5 and drawing names is a bad idea.

I don't have a favorite since the Canadian and young asian guy have been eliminated.

• Love 1

I am a huge fan of Nicole Gomes. Loved her on Top Chef season 3, where she swore like a sailor and was nicknamed The Tasmanian Devil. In our All-Star Season, she rocked it and took home the victory. 

This week, I loved her kind words to the young chef who left. Her use of our typical use of ‘eh?’ at the end of a statement was funny, eh?

Agree with the previous commenter that the bottom two should fight to stay in the competition. I find Baloo boring and someone that I am surprised is still there. At least Dale MacKay was interesting and hungry for the title. 

Lefevre is likeable. I won’t be mad if he wins. 

• Love 4

Not one of these chefs inspires me at ALL. So far many have never used the secret ingredient which is weird since a top level chef must have knowledge of all foods. This can be done through practice and reading and investigating. I honestly feel none of them are "Iron Chef" level chefs.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:17 AM, Wings said:

Fish that is not served in restaurants is suspect. 

That's a pretty broad statement.  Mackerel is very common in Japanese restaurants (and homes), either broiled or raw.  I'm sure in other cultures' cuisines too -- Mediterranean, southeast Asian, northern Europe.  But it is a strong-tasting fish, and the lack of diversity of fish available in the States, and the inexplicable refusal of many (Euro) Americans to eat fish at all means it's not well known outside specific communities here.  I get it at my local Asian market, wrap it in foil, and grill it on the Weber.  (Don't cook it inside unless you have a very strong extractor fan!)

LeFevre - "Pickled ginger which I made myself".  Wow, so talented.

And the mandatory use of "umami".  Enough with the overuse of that word.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Brookside said:
On 4/6/2018 at 3:17 AM, Wings said:

Fish that is not served in restaurants is suspect. 

That's a pretty broad statement.  Mackerel is very common in Japanese restaurants (and homes), either broiled or raw.  I'm sure in other cultures' cuisines too -- Mediterranean, southeast Asian, northern Europe.  But it is a strong-tasting fish, and the lack of diversity of fish available in the States, and the inexplicable refusal of many (Euro) Americans to eat fish at all means it's not well known outside specific communities here.  I get it at my local Asian market, wrap it in foil, and grill it on the Weber.  (Don't cook it inside unless you have a very strong extractor fan!)

LeFevre - "Pickled ginger which I made myself".  Wow, so talented.

And the mandatory use of "umami".  Enough with the overuse of that word.

My comment was humor.  I was being silly. ;>  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

I am a huge fan of Nicole Gomes. Loved her on Top Chef season 3, where she swore like a sailor and was nicknamed The Tasmanian Devil. In our All-Star Season, she rocked it and took home the victory. 

That's why she looks familiar.  Thanks!  I liked her, too. 

• Love 3

I’m new to the show this season, and I’m puzzled in this last episode where the unusual pea blossom used to make the blue ice cream came from. Surely it’s not something normally stocked in the pantry, and only one chef knew how to use it, and how did she know she would be in a position to use it? Methinks there are a lot of behind the scenes machinations we are not privy to.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I’m new to the show this season, and I’m puzzled in this last episode where the unusual pea blossom used to make the blue ice cream came from. Surely it’s not something normally stocked in the pantry, and only one chef knew how to use it, and how did she know she would be in a position to use it? Methinks there are a lot of behind the scenes machinations we are not privy to.

What I heard, unless I am just making things up, is that the chefs are given a list of 3 possible "secret" ingredients. Then they make out a "shopping list" of sorts (I think with a budget) of items they would need for each possible secret ingredient. That's why there are some bizarre items in the pantry.

If I am wrong, or if someone wants to elaborate, feel free!

• Love 4

Chiming in to say I LOVE this show. I've missed the old Iron Chef (hubby and I never missed an episode) but this is a nice, new twist on my old favorite. I've liked all the chefs (except Kevin Tien who was a little too "overconfident" in his commentary re: competing against the other chefs). The comradrie between the chefs is great; there seems to be mutual respect for each others' abilities. And I'm all in for either Gomes or LeFevre (I hate when I have two solid favorites; just like the last Project Runway All Stars... Ugh, I hate to see either leave). And this might be an unpopular opinion, but I love Alton in this show. Perfect vehicle for him. Just enough snark, but he's also very measured in his criticism and as others here have mentioned, the dude KNOWS food. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

What I heard, unless I am just making things up, is that the chefs are given a list of 3 possible "secret" ingredients.

I've heard that that's certainly true (or at least was, back in the day) for the original IC. A local well-known chef in my area, Peter Kelly, won against Bobby Flay and one of the dishes was a "cowboy ribeye" (which at least the last time I was at his flagship restaurant, was on the menu) which he decorated with a cowboy bandana. Now how would the kitchen have cowboy bandanas unless he asked for it to be there?

• Love 2

I'm surprised that Alton didn't amuse us with the botanical name of the "Blue Pea":

Clitoria ternatea, commonly known as Asian pigeonwings, bluebellvine, blue pea, butterfly pea, cordofan pea and Darwin pea, is a plant species belonging to the Fabaceae family.

• Love 2

It seemed a little strange to have Alex G judge when she’s also part of the gauntlet. Not that I think it affected the result with a 4-point difference. 

I think either Baloo or LaFevre makes the gauntlet, but no one wins this year. 

well I don't think Alex or Marc are IC quality either. Or what's his name the guy who sweats a lot. Stephanie is, IMHO. I think the remaining woman and the guy with a beard are good enough. I'm bad with names. 

• Love 2

Jeffery is another IC that I don't like. He was a HUGE supporter of Alex. That is one reason she became an IC. Stephanie is a great IC and really earned her spot. I wish they would go back to 4 or 5 IC's not the gaggle that they have now.

• Love 3

It might have been said but I think the ICs are all ready to sit behind a table to judge more than compete.  I think ‘they’ are trying to find their replacements so the show can go on.  Stephanie is a good start. 

• Love 2

Am I the only one that thinks ‘they’ should look at some more of the Top Chefs or TC-Masters?  It’s not a good day for names for me or I would suggest some.  

Flay might like that.  They’d  have to jump a whole network to replace him. :D

I don't know the time issues involved in doing IC; is it hard to have a running restaurant and still do it? It seems the majority of TC big or well-known players do have running (usually kind of small) restaurants. Or do they do a whole bunch of these tapings in one big batch in a week or so?

14 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I don't know the time issues involved in doing IC; is it hard to have a running restaurant and still do it? It seems the majority of TC big or well-known players do have running (usually kind of small) restaurants. Or do they do a whole bunch of these tapings in one big batch in a week or so?

In an article about Flay quitting, he said that he did a bunch of IC battles for each season over the span of about a week and was exhausted by the end of it. 

• Love 2

I like LeFevre out of this group of contestants, and part of my draw to him is his personality.  The other part, of course, is his cooking ability.  Since the new season began, I've felt that he was the contestant with the least braggadocio, and modesty/humility goes a long way with me.  It may be my imagination, but he has seemed nervous to me, and I suspect he's an even better, more creative chef than he is in competitions.  He seems solid, and I'd like to see him join Stephanie in a new group of ICs.

• Love 6

Yeah, I'm coming around to agreeing with those who don't think anyone left is Iron Chef material. However, I think that might be intentional, as they might be looking to have the winning chef lose the Gauntlet after Chef Izard won last year. After all, if everyone who faces the Gauntlet wins, then how good are the Iron Chefs really ;-) ?

I too like Chef Lefevre best of the remaining candidates, but for show purposes he has one prominent quality that I feel should at least appear absent in an Iron Chef: humility. An Iron Chef has to have a certain amount of swagger, and Chef Lefevre does not (FTR, neither does Marc Forgione, which might be why he had the worst record before the old series ended). In fact, I think it's one qualification (perhaps the only one) for IC that Alex does have. I think Chef Gomez probably is the best choice remaining, but perhaps that's because Chef Baloo has been flying under the radar all season so I don't know enough about him.

@Lura

Since the new season began, I've felt that he was the contestant with the least braggadocio, and modesty/humility goes a long way with me.

On any other show, I'd agree wholeheartedly, but not this one :D .

Edited by dewelar
Added quote

I just watched the show followed by Beat Bobby Flay, and I already forgot what they prepared.  Was it scallops in the second round?  I swear I can't remember the first.

Add me to the if-anybody-wins-I-hope-it's-LeFevre club.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Lura said:

I like LeFevre out of this group of contestants, and part of my draw to him is his personality.  The other part, of course, is his cooking ability.  Since the new season began, I've felt that he was the contestant with the least braggadocio, and modesty/humility goes a long way with me.  It may be my imagination, but he has seemed nervous to me, and I suspect he's an even better, more creative chef than he is in competitions.  He seems solid, and I'd like to see him join Stephanie in a new group of ICs.

LeFevre was on Home & Family on the Hallmark Channel this week.  He prepared a dish and was quite personable.  I thought it was odd that he, out of all the remaining contestants, made an appearance (it was mentioned that he is a contestant on Iron Chef Gauntlet).  Thought this could be a foreshadowing that he won.

12 hours ago, dewelar said:

I too like Chef Lefevre best of the remaining candidates, but for show purposes he has one prominent quality that I feel should at least appear absent in an Iron Chef: humility. An Iron Chef has to have a certain amount of swagger, and Chef Lefevre does not (FTR, neither does Marc Forgione, which might be why he had the worst record before the old series ended). In fact, I think it's one qualification (perhaps the only one) for IC that Alex does have. I think Chef Gomez probably is the best choice remaining, but perhaps that's because Chef Baloo has been flying under the radar all season so I don't know enough about him.

I think Izard is even humbler than he is and she's my favorite chef to watch on Iron Chef these days other than Morimoto.  That may be because I watched her season on Top Chef and she was one of my three favorites that season but I think it's because I'm often surprised by what she makes ...  I think Iron Chef is very theatrical and all the chefs enjoy playing a character while on it so I'm confident that, if Lefevre or Gomes wins, either one could bring enough swagger to kitchen stadium.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if no one won this season because Alex hates to ever lose and Symon won't want to lose twice in a row.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rab01 said:

I think Izard is even humbler than he is and she's my favorite chef to watch on Iron Chef these days other than Morimoto.  That may be because I watched her season on Top Chef and she was one of my three favorites that season but I think it's because I'm often surprised by what she makes ...  I think Iron Chef is very theatrical and all the chefs enjoy playing a character while on it so I'm confident that, if Lefevre or Gomes wins, either one could bring enough swagger to kitchen stadium.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if no one won this season because Alex hates to ever lose and Symon won't want to lose twice in a row.

I am not sure.  They are all in favor of getting new blood so Iron Chef can reboot.   I think they both can take one for the team (FN).  Personally I would like to see new chefs who have a unique point of view like Stephannie for example.  Symon, for me, is ho hum.  How much Italian food can you watch?  It is a limited genre.  My opinion, of course.  I agree with everything else. 

ETA  Scott Conant's new restaurant in Phoenix, Mora Italian is superior.  You never see his menu items on any cooking competitions.  He actually moved to Phoenix from NYC.  Shocking.

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, rab01 said:

I think Iron Chef is very theatrical and all the chefs enjoy playing a character while on it so I'm confident that, if Lefevre or Gomes wins, either one could bring enough swagger to kitchen stadium.

You may be right. I do like Chef Izard, who exudes a quiet confidence more like Chef Garces. Maybe humility isn't the word I was seeking -- if you're an Iron Chef, you should never be surprised when you win a battle, and Chef Lefevre seems to be that repeatedly. I think that's what Chef Thaimee was aiming for this week, but she went too far with it and came off a little too arrogant (a la Chef Tien before her).

Above all else, Iron Chef is a performance (I'd almost call it performance art). I hope that Chef Lefevre proves me wrong on all counts, because I do like him a lot, but I don't see it right now.

Sigh...I miss Chef MacKay. As for my other Canadian, Nicole Gomes said in an interview that after doing Top Chef twice, and now Iron Chef, that she won’t be competing in any more cooking competitions. Therefore, I am assuming that chef Lefevre makes it to the end. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I just watched the show followed by Beat Bobby Flay, and I already forgot what they prepared.  Was it scallops in the second round?  I swear I can't remember the first.

Add me to the if-anybody-wins-I-hope-it's-LeFevre club.

Scallops is correct.  I think the first round was breakfast dish.  

3 hours ago, rab01 said:

I think Iron Chef is very theatrical and all the chefs enjoy playing a character

Interesting.  I don't see that.  I see chefs totally focused and often tense while making their 3 courses with no time for theatrics.  The chairman exudes enough drama for the hour.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LeighLeigh said:

Sigh...I miss Chef MacKay. As for my other Canadian, Nicole Gomes said in an interview that after doing Top Chef twice, and now Iron Chef, that she won’t be competing in any more cooking competitions. Therefore, I am assuming that chef Lefevre makes it to the end. 

I have seen him as the front runner from the first episode.  I like him and okay with him winning.  I favor Gomes because I just like her.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Wings said:

ETA  Scott Conant's new restaurant in Phoenix, Mora Italian is superior.  You never see his menu items on any cooking competitions.  He actually moved to Phoenix from NYC.  Shocking.

Phoenix vs NYC. That's  no brainer.