Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Gummies

1 hour ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

So....while I'm loving the acting Lena Dunham is doing this season with the pregnancy story line.....

Am I the only one who was cheering Elijah on & thinking he was just spilling some truth to Hannah about her becoming a mom?

(It could have been done more tactfully, but I was still cheering. Maybe I'm a bad person.)

I cheered him on too. It was harsh but I don't believe he didn't say anything wrong. But also I'm sure he's going to have a moment where he changes his mind an says she's gonna be a great mom!

• Love 2

I've had MAJOR disappointment with the baby development. It's just so tired and cliche. What saved the day for me were Elijah's and Hannah's mom's meltdowns about it. Not saying they were right or wrong -- but both felt *real* --  and consistent with their characters, which is what matters most to me. 

• Love 9

In the past I hardly ever think what I'm watching is not totally over the top egregious hot mess behavior. Season 1 was so unpleasant and disturbing I only kept watching because I am a tvholic and never have enough to watch.  

I liked this episode.  Everyone seemed more "real" or acting like "normal" people.  With a lot more honesty and forthrightness in the dialog than real life.  I think of it as a form of exposition.  I have no problems with Lorraine.  Considering what a mess Hannah is I thought she was wonderfully happy and supportive.  Youth and babies do remind the old (not that Lorraine is really that old, she is being a tad dramatic), that their time has past and death is coming.  She was quite high when she said it so I think we can cut her some slack.  Anybody who hasn't been in their 50s or 60s and alone can stfu.  I get the feeling that everybody is hating on her not because she wasn't happy for Hanna, she was, very. But because she didn't just OMG I'm so happy to have something else in life to totally subsume my life to.  I will not be Lorraine, I will be Grandmother and that's all I will be and it will be glorious!  She is happy for Hanna and her baby but I don't think she is shitty because she wants more for the remainder of her life than raising Hanna's kid.  I think she will the kid and will be a Grandmother just not full time 100% to the exclusion of all else and that is ok.  

Many good points made about Elijah's underlying fears about being left behind.  And while I think Hannah has the potential to be if not a great mother at least an average mother, he is right that based on her past behavior the odds would not seem good.  Is it cruel to say?  Yes I suppose but are we not already thinking about the baby?  I keep going back to what the woman writer she interviewed said - how being childless was a woman writers natural condition and get used to it.  What did that spark in Hanna?

While everyone elses character seems to have contracted from crazy over the top to the growing up this season  I'd say Marnie's character has been left behind and appears even more narcissitic than before if thats possible.   In the past she has been a friend who has shown up though, I wonder if the baby will be the impetus that brings her to normal.  Or taking care of Desi?  Will something snap her out of it?  If she were a true narcissist that isn't possible.  

Glad Ray uncoupled from that.   

I have always liked Jemma.  I think it was the arc where she was taking care of the old lady.  I really got a sense of how she feels about herself as a damaged worthless person with nothing to offer. Her childhood really f'ed her up.   Then she had this old lady and she almost blossomed.  I hope her character finds some peace before the end but I don't think there are going to be neat bows.  

Adam's character always seems to be whatever the story needs him to be but his character seems to have been growing up slowly and more consistently throughout the seasons.   

There is part of me that is waiting for a miscarriage.  How pregnant is she?

Edited by Giesela
  • Love 5

I think Jemima Kirke is gorgeous but not necessarily in a traditional beauty sort of way. I'm not even sure what about her is beautiful, but something is. I agree she plays Jessa to not be beautiful, despite the physical beauty.  But there is just something beautiful radiating from Jemima Kirke. She's not model-thin, but thin.  She doesn't have excessively large breasts or behind, but she's still curvy. Her features aren't particularly striking, but all kind of balance each other out in a way that makes her face interesting but benign. Her hair is gorgeous long or short. She's kind of a "perfect average" (except for the amazing hair), if that make sense.  There isn't one incredibly attractive defining trait and there isn't one terribly awful trait that stands out physically about her, but lots of pretty, average traits that rolled into one that somehow make Jemima beautiful in a way that is both non-threatening & magnetic.

I think she does a good job of playing up the magnetic part of that physical beauty with the Jessa character (and perhaps the non-threatening way, at least until people get to know Jessa better). 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Giesela said:

Adam's character always seems to be whatever the story needs him to be but his character seems to have been growing up slowly and more consistently throughout the seasons.  

You think? He seems more oblivious and self centred than ever to me. He's just turned into a male Jessa but with a bigger ego.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Eucrid said:

You think? He seems more oblivious and self centred than ever to me. He's just turned into a male Jessa but with a bigger ego.

I remember back to S1 the anal sex, the grodiest apartment, not wanting a relationship with Hanna it was just sex, weird sex, masturbation, just a virtual nut job.  Yes, oblivious and self centered in the dips with the bumps taking care of Hanna when off her meds (how is it that is what he seems to remember for his film:)  taking care of his niece etc., that's what I mean - his character seems to conform to the necessity of the script.  I guess everyone has slowly gotten a little less outrageous over time  Except for Marie and maybe Jemma

• Love 1

I also want to put in a word for Lorraine or Loreen. It is very easy to miscalculate with cannabis edibles. The effect takes longer to kick in, and by then you may have already really overimbibed. Some dear friends and I had some pot cookies one night. Val was trapped in a leather recliner for hours, unable to move. She said it felt like her skin had merged with the leather. Even after Shelley told her how her dogs spend hours licking that chair. I cleaned out everything in Shelley's kitchen and ate it all, right up to and including the five-years-expired stale cereal with no milk. I remember watching "American Beauty" and praying the phone wouldn't ring or nobody would come to the door, because none of the three of us were remotely capable of functioning. Nobody puked and nobody hallucinated, but we were pretty fucked up. It was a lesson. 

• Love 10

I've said it before that I know women writers, and I completely disagree that a woman writer's natural condition is childless. One I know has a bunch of kids and a Mr. Mom sort of husband and the other is child free but could afford a kid; just either didn't happen or didn't have the interest. I know that she could have adopted if she chose, and she didn't choose. 

I just don't think the arts are incompatible with family life at all. It's the same as any other profession - do you have the money. Can you make the schedule work. People in the arts who make a decent living with their work are actually better off than people in conventional jobs; their schedule is flexible, and they're not always stressing sick days, babysitters, etc. Same for people who work at home, although those I know a few who work at home who try to keep to a schedule, the flexibility IS there if there are problems. It's another thing, of course, if you are making under 25k a year and trying to be a single parent, but THAT is the problem. Not the work itself. The 25k.

None of the writers I know cannibalize their lives for their "work". One does a lot of work in Latin America, and also free lances writing for publications like National Geographic and AARP, and the other writes a ton of novels. On occasion this one will draw on "her own life" to get published, but it's heavily calculated and slanted to sell, and leaves her kids out of it. It's funny that so many of the writers on television and in film are so autobiographical, because the writers I know are not.

Another point - a lot of the writers I've seen on Girls are very bohemian in their nature and their style, and that's not my experience either. One of the writers (the one who is a mom) is very money conscious but she's not "bohemian", she's more of a minimalist and with everything she has in her life, she doesn't like a lot of stuff or a lot of clutter. Her kids are the same way. The other writer loves to travel and frequently travels, but her style is not at all bohemian. I can't imagine her with a tattoo, or really long hair. I think some people who cultivate that look do it for marketing purposes.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Am I the only one who was cheering Elijah on & thinking he was just spilling some truth to Hannah about her becoming a mom?

(It could have been done more tactfully, but I was still cheering. Maybe I'm a bad person.)

Not with you there. He wasn't talking about her at all-that was all about him and his selfishness. 

• Love 4
On 3/13/2017 at 1:49 PM, cpcathy said:

Hannah's mother's name is Lorene. Or am I missing something in this question? They were yelling her name in the street.

For me, the guys were laughing in a way that they would have had Hannah's mom's name been Stella, and they had been yelling Stella, as Stanley Kowalski does. So I wondered if that "Loreen!" was a reference to a movie. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, lidarose9 said:

I also want to put in a word for Lorraine or Loreen. It is very easy to miscalculate with cannabis edibles. The effect takes longer to kick in, and by then you may have already really overimbibed.

I think that's the danger with most intoxicants. You consume a bit and think "I'm handling that okay with no effect, why not have some more?" and then consume a bit more, at which point the effect of the first portion hits you and you have no choice but to ride it out. I've made that mistake with alcohol. People need to pace themselves.

Your point about cannabis edibles is well taken, though. I knew someone who smoked joints without problems but who got fucked up on pot brownies.

I have always liked [Jessa].  I think it was the arc where she was taking care of the old lady.  I really got a sense of how she feels about herself as a damaged worthless person with nothing to offer. Her childhood really f'ed her up.   Then she had this old lady and she almost blossomed.  I hope her character finds some peace before the end but I don't think there are going to be neat bows. 

Yeah, no. Fuck Jessa. Seriously. 

Boo hoo, she's so damaged and sad and had a terrible childhood. Who gives a shit? It's no excuse to toy with others' emotions and manipulate them for her own gratification, something she has consistently done throughout the series. Nor is it an excuse for her deep-seated contempt for her supposed friends, even in the last few episodes. Look at how she goes to a work event of Shosh's to make fun of everyone there, mocks Shosh's admiration for her former friends' success and calls her a "jeans-fucker." Look at how she gleefully looks forward to using the movie to humiliate Hannah, her supposed "dearest friend," pushing for camera shots on Adam's annoyance with Hannah, praising the actress for her grasp of Hannah's supposed delusional sense of self. She's a bitch. She has always been a bitch.

Jessa's problem is that she's so in love with herself that, like many other assholes, she thinks that her particular brand of perceived damaged specialness--her bragging to Adam about supposedly being a childhood sociopath (and having outgrown it) is utterly typical--is some sort of license to treat others like shit. The truth is that there's nothing special about Jessa; for all her boho, arty pretensions, she's utterly boring and ordinary in her awfulness. She's just a garden variety asshole. Shosh gets it. Hannah gets it. Now it looks like Adam is going to get it as well.

Jessa deserves nothing good. Hopefully, the series will end with everyone having abandoned her on account of what a grade A bitch she is. Things are already tending in that direction, from the looks of it, so I remain hopeful.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 12

Jessa is my fave 'girl', probably just because I like the actress, but I don't disagree with anything you wrote about her. Except that she's the worst. That's Marnie. I don't really want neat bows and unlikely happy endings for any of them, because that's not life. Some messiness and some disappointments and some unexpected happenings and some WTF moments are what I hope for at the end, but I don't want any of them completely alone or unhappy. Not even Marnie. Well, maybe Marnie.

• Love 4

I loved this episode. I prefer it when I can relate to the Girls and see some development. And I don't think is that far-fechted that Hannah became pregnant and wants to keep it.

I don't like Jessa but I want her and Hannah to make amends.  Even if it's to say they're not going to be close again. I don't want Adam with either of them. But I'll appreciate some closure with him and Hannah. I want Adam to acknowledge that Hannah was important to him and that's it. (I'm still pissed that Carrie and Big got married. )

I think Jessa feels guilty about Adam (and resents Hannah for making her feel this way even if it's irracional). So she wants to tear Hannah apart (and her relationship with Adam) to feel less conflicted. That's why I think she couldn't read the script: because it would make her miss her friend and face the fact that she let a guy come between them, a decision that is very far from the image that she built for herself.

• Love 6
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:16 AM, chocolatine said:

I'm still not 100% happy about the pregnancy, but Lena Dunham's acting of it has been top notch.

And I feel like she is always 1/2 a second away from breaking character and busting out laughing.

and I really hate everyone's makeup this season.  The Blonde hair and dark eyebrows on Shosh.  And the lipstick only look with the pale skin and no eye makeup is garish.

Edited by MV713
thought of something else
  • Love 2

Glad Ray broke up with Marnie before finding out she cheated on him.  I like that he broke up with her because he wanted more not because he was cheated on.

Loved seeing the realization on Jessa's face that Adam did love Hanna.  And I may be in the minority but I would love a Hannah/Adam raising the baby endgame.  Also as everyone else, would love to see Ray/Sosh endgame.

• Love 4
On 3/14/2017 at 0:39 PM, stagmania said:
On 3/14/2017 at 11:08 AM, SlackerInc said:

I was thinking the same when she was talking about her fitness classes: maybe she works out too much?  She kind of has a hard jawline that isn't becoming.  I remember finding her prettier in the first season.

I actually just started a rewatch and the difference in Marnie is the most startling, looks-wise. She was always thin but she looked more normal person thin with a full face in s1. Now she looks 0% body fat actress thin. 

I used to be very skinny at Marnie's age and I do not have delicate features.  If you have heavier features and are too skinny, you can risk sort of having a "man face", which is not pretty.  I am heavier now, but my face has softened out a little bit.

The Marnie character befuddles me.  She is the only one of the "girls" that actually seem less mature then what she was when the show started.  Marnie has always been shallow, but now she is just ridiculous.  I think I would have punched Ray in the face had he not broken up with this self absorbed waste of space.

Lena is supposed to be new school feminist, but I always thought she wrote the male characters much more sympathetically then the females.  I wonder if she feel in love with the comical mayhem the Desi character bring and has decided to sacrifice Marnie's growth to keep him on the show?  There was no reason for us to see Desi so much after the divorce.  Marnie has been nothing but a cartoon ever since she got involved in that relationship.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I used to be very skinny at Marnie's age and I do not have delicate features.  If you have heavier features and are too skinny, you can risk sort of having a "man face", which is not pretty.

Yeah, I was kind of reticent about putting it that way, but that's pretty much what I was thinking.  Looking back at the pilot, her arms don't look as skinny and her jawline looks softer, less "manlike".

• Love 1

I wish somehow that the baby was Adam's and he realized his feelings for Hannah. I hate him with Jessa. Loved the jealousy on her face during the acting scene.

Loved when the  actress and Hannah sat on the stoop the same way with legs the same and almost the same dress. 

Hannah is not capable of taking care of a baby -She can't even take care of herself and doesn't even go to the Doctor when she is sick and bleeding.I think she will lose the baby.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, booboopbedoo said:

Loved when the  actress and Hannah sat on the stoop the same way with legs the same and almost the same dress. 

It was amazing to see Hannah through Adam's eyes.  In his head Hannah is this irresistibly adorable neurotic mess.  The actress had such a cute figure, I was floored when she said she had three children and even more surprised to find out she is 37in real life.

No wonder Laird fell in love with her on first sight....though Laird has horrible tastes in women.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, qtpye said:

The Marnie character befuddles me.  She is the only one of the "girls" that actually seem less mature then what she was when the show started.  Marnie has always been shallow, but now she is just ridiculous.  I think I would have punched Ray in the face had he not broken up with this self absorbed waste of space.

You know, I thought this too, but upon rewatching I have discovered that she has always been this terrible. Her very first scene of the show, she's being awful about Charlie, mocking him to Hannah. And the scene from the Bushwick episode where she insists on going to talk to him post break up, clearly to rub it in. He says it's nice to see her and she says "I thought it might be." That's it! That's what she says to the guy she dated for years. She really is a masterfully drawn and incredibly consistent character.

• Love 5
On 3/14/2017 at 6:12 PM, scrb said:

The GQ job at least let her write.  It was writing lies but it was still writing, though her coworkers there found themselves too tired to do their own writing, though some of them had achieved some measure of notice for their work.  

Having done some of that sort of work...many writers would rather do something that *isn't* writing to make ends meet than do something that's soul-destroying writing (which advertorial can be). For one thing, even though it seems like you should be free to do your own stuff, the one saps your energy for the other in a way that doing another job, even if it's more physically tiring, may not. There's no shame in being a waitress or a cab driver; to many writers there *is* in writing advertorial, certainly to Hannah as written.

Slackerinc: Marnie's present hair style (the bangs, very reminiscent of Alicia Florrick THE GOOD WIFE season 3) is doing her no favors, but I think the main problem is that the actress has gotten too thin, exacerbated by the way women's faces tend to thin out in their late 20s/early 30s.

Re age issues: Hannah's 25th birthday was in season 3. So 27 in season 6 isn't out of line.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, stagmania said:

You know, I thought this too, but upon rewatching I have discovered that she has always been this terrible. Her very first scene of the show, she's being awful about Charlie, mocking him to Hannah. And the scene from the Bushwick episode where she insists on going to talk to him post break up, clearly to rub it in. He says it's nice to see her and she says "I thought it might be." That's it! That's what she says to the guy she dated for years. She really is a masterfully drawn and incredibly consistent character.

I never thought of it that way, but you're 100% correct. I just remember Marnie as the "together" one because she was the only Girl that had a full-time job and was self-supporting in S1. But of course she's always been self-centered, and the way she jerked Charlie around was unforgivable.

Regarding Marnie's thinness, I once read an interview with Allison Williams in Allure magazine where she said that at the beginning of the show she was still at her "college" weight because she ate less healthy in college, but subsequently dropped down to her "natural" weight. I personally thought her "college" weight suited her better, but I also understand that there is a lot of pressure on actresses to be thin, and AW is also doing other projects besides Girls.

1 hour ago, wendyg said:

Having done some of that sort of work...many writers would rather do something that *isn't* writing to make ends meet than do something that's soul-destroying writing (which advertorial can be). For one thing, even though it seems like you should be free to do your own stuff, the one saps your energy for the other in a way that doing another job, even if it's more physically tiring, may not. There's no shame in being a waitress or a cab driver; to many writers there *is* in writing advertorial, certainly to Hannah as written.

I've heard many writers say that, and I don't have a problem with Hannah coming to that conclusion; it was just the way she handled the situation that bugged me. I feel that, in any industry, it's important to not burn any bridges and leave a good impression at every job, since you never know which of those people you're going cross paths with again and under what circumstances. The writers and editor at GQ were very nice to Hannah, and she crapped all over them.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Regarding Marnie's thinness, I once read an interview with Allison Williams in Allure magazine where she said that at the beginning of the show she was still at her "college" weight because she ate less healthy in college, but subsequently dropped down to her "natural" weight. I personally thought her "college" weight suited her better, but I also understand that there is a lot of pressure on actresses to be thin, and AW is also doing other projects besides Girls.

I just wonder who exactly is clamoring for them to have that harder, more gaunt look.  IOW, where is the pressure coming from?  It almost seems like a collective delusion.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

I just wonder who exactly is clamoring for them to have that harder, more gaunt look.  IOW, where is the pressure coming from?  It almost seems like a collective delusion.

You would think so, but then you hear stories like the producers of Pearl Harbor asking the already tiny Kate Beckingsale to "tone up" for her role, or studios hiring personal trainers for actresses - wink-wink, nudge-nudge. And sites like Jezebel frequently post unretouched photos from magazine cover shoots to show how actresses/celebrities that are already in great shape get digitally "slimmed down". It's ridiculous, as I think most viewers agree that most women look better with some body fat, but the entertainment industry is still hanging on to their impossible and unnecessary standards.

• Love 6

What especially sucks about it is that meanwhile the male actors are bulking up - some with steroid assistance - so the visuals are these muscle men and these teeny women. It sends a really bad message.

• Love 5

Hannah is not capable of taking care of a baby -She can't even take care of herself and doesn't even go to the Doctor when she is sick and bleeding. 

I do really question how capable Hannah would be of taking care of a newborn.  I do think she could do it with a good support system, but the only one of her friends that seems remotely mature is Ray.  So maybe Hannah just needs new friends, or a good support group for single moms. 

• Love 2

I used to be very skinny at Marnie's age and I do not have delicate features.  If you have heavier features and are too skinny, you can risk sort of having a "man face", which is not pretty.  I am heavier now, but my face has softened out a little bit.

I'm skinny now at 46, and always have been, and I keep telling my BF that I need to fatten up my face just a little before I get old! He doesn't understand this at all! So far, nary a wrinkle even around the eyes, but the day will come that I will need more face to keep things up where they belong!

• Love 2

I like Jessa and Adam, but I'm not do or die as I am with Shoshanna and Ray. I will just hate it if Adam and Hannah reunite, thus conveniently resolving Hannah's financial challenges being a single mother. Because there is no way she is surviving in NYC on what she earns, with a child. She can't afford anything to do with taking care of a child, let alone taking care of a child while working.

Adam's sister lucked into the landlord as the baby daddy (or super) so both parents have secure housing and also can stay at home. I just have a feeling that Adam is going to be the deux ex machina for Hannah's baby - look, a successful actor / former boyfriend who happens to be very responsible with kids!

If that's the way it turns out, the development of Jessa/Adam will feel very spiteful to me. Yes, I know Jessa is Jessa. But in terms of the show, Lena Dunham did an honest development of that relationship, including huge reservations from Jessa, which Dunham insisted were honest. She insisted Jessa would have huge qualms about hooking up with a friend's ex. And now we're where Adam and Jessa are making a movie about Adam and Hannah (come ON), and Jessa has soap opera dialogue like "You need a real close-up on just you so everyone can see how much she irritates you!" So not only is it on the NOSE, it's also soap opera level telegraphing and denial. I believe Jessa would be pissed, I don't believe she would handle it like a minor diva from Bold & Beautiful. It will feel to me as if Dunham did Adam Jessa in an "authentic" way purely so he'd go back to Hannah, giving it more impact that he left a relationship with a woman who looks like a mermaid and Brigitte Bardot had a baby.

PS - about beauty - I don't use the supermodel as the beauty standard. In person they are often plain - not ugly, but plain. Symmetrical, even features that can be transformed with make-up and are malleable, but not gorgeous eyes and lips without make-up. The ones who have that kind of good bone structure AND beautiful individual features are rare.  Often the features are "merely" symetrical and even, but they look washed out without make-up. They're also often extra tall and skinny, which IMO looks better in photographs than in person, particularly when they're also often fourteen years old. So that's a long way around to say I think Jemima Kirke is conventionally beautiful. She has lovely bone structure and conventionally lovely features - lips, eyes, nose and hair.  I think she is far more naturally beautiful than Marnie, who is good-looking, but IMO in a "Rich girl" way. "My parents were attractive, I resemble them, and I'm also skinny."  She has a nice jawline and cheekbones, which make her (relatively) photogenic, but I don't think anything else about her would make her eligible to become an actress based on looks. A newscaster, maybe. :)

• Love 6

LOL at "a woman who looks like a mermaid and Brigitte Bardot had a baby".  Well put!

I agree that Jessa's attitude toward Adam and Hannah's relationship was a little OTT, considering how she was shown previously to seem genuinely remorseful about being with Adam.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

LOL at "a woman who looks like a mermaid and Brigitte Bardot had a baby".  Well put!

Those are Hannah's words - that's how she described Jessa in her NYT piece.

ETA: Re: attractiveness. I agree that Jemima Kirke is the most conventionally pretty of the four actresses, in the sense she would make the most heads turn on the street. What makes her unattractive to me is the too cool for school, "I'm so bohemian and artistic and free spirited" attitude. I just can't with people like that.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 4

Yeah, I have come to the point, where I judge the girls' attractiveness on their personalities rather then looks.

Marnie does not seem like the type of girl who would be going for these artsy Bohemian types.  She seems like the type to want to marry an investment banker to provide her with a nice life and then want to sing on the side.

Ironically, she probably would want to be with a different version of the guy Jessa did marry and divorce.

Jessa did like the life that guy provided as well.  I remember how smug she was to Hannah "about how she had life all figured out", when Hannah visited their swank apartment.  I think she bragged about how her husband always made time to look at her paintings, even after a hard day's work or something.

I actually think Jessa is looking for the stability and security she did not have while growing up.  However, that type of stability make her feel uneasy, so she can not help but want to upset the apple cart.  Adam provides the stability with the money and he is kooky enough not to bore her.  However, I still really do not know if they are good for each other.

• Love 4

While we're being shallow, I remember being blown away by Zosia Mamet's bod in one of Shosh's rare sex scenes, several seasons back now. It would have been with the college dude she was hooking up with. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, kieyra said:

While we're being shallow, I remember being blown away by Zosia Mamet's bod in one of Shosh's rare sex scenes, several seasons back now. It would have been with the college dude she was hooking up with. 

So was my husband. 

He's referred to her as "Sneaky Boobs" ever since. A hold over college expression his crowd used 40 years ago when a girl had a rocking body no one knew about or really noticed.

• Love 2
On March 17, 2017 at 5:44 PM, kieyra said:

I'm pretty sure she has implants bc they were quite roundy in her bra.. Also the guy was Skylar Astin from Pitch Perfect ?

ETA: oh wait I'm thinking of the summer camp guy - same guy?

Edited by RedDelicious
10 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I'm pretty sure she has implants bc they were quite roundy in her bra.. Also the guy was Skylar Astin from Pitch Perfect ?

That's who I was thinking of as well. But there was also that one doorman she's hooked up with.

25 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I don't think it was summer camp, I think it was during a college semester where she had this boyfriend-ish and she'd decided that having lots of mindless sex was the answer to her relationship anxieties, or something like that. 

Edit, okay, off to Wikipedia. ... where I can't find proof this episode existed in their summaries. Maybe I imagined it? Best guess is it was sometime in season 3. 

Final edit, it was episode 3.06, "Free Snacks" and apparently it was with her (then?) real life boyfriend, Evan Jonigkeit.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, kieyra said:

Final edit, it was episode 3.06, "Free Snacks" and apparently it was with her (then?) real life boyfriend, Evan Jonigkeit.

That was an interesting trip down memory lane.  Hard to tell for sure when the bra was on the whole time.

But a funny little serendipity: while scrolling through looking for the scene, I happened upon Marnie and Ray together, and even then she left him in a restaurant because she had to go work out!  LOL  Also, she still looked a lot better then than now.  So it wasn't just some fat she had on her in the pilot.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kieyra said:

I completely forgot about that one! I should rewatch S3. BTW, Zosia Mamet and Evan Jonigkeit are married now.

45 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

That was an interesting trip down memory lane.  Hard to tell for sure when the bra was on the whole time.

You can see more of her upper body (though she's still wearing a bra, IIRC) in the Skylar Astin almost-sex scene . That was in S1, but I don't remember which episode.

48 minutes ago, SlackerInc said:

But a funny little serendipity: while scrolling through looking for the scene, I happened upon Marnie and Ray together, and even then she left him in a restaurant because she had to go work out!  LOL  Also, she still looked a lot better then than now.  So it wasn't just some fat she had on her in the pilot.

The thinnest she's ever looked IMO was the bottle episode with Charlie last season when she was wearing the plunging red dress. There was a montage of Marnie and Charlie eating various rich foods, and you could just tell AW had been starving herself in preparation for having to eat so much on TV.

• Love 5

(For what it's worth, my original observation that started this new shallowness tangent wasn't really boob-centric for me, just that she had a nice build overall with more curves than I would have expected.)

• Love 4

Yeah, Shoshanna has a great figure overall. I do think the show gets all the make-up and hair right for these girls and what they're doing in life, although Marnie is way too princess for a wannabe singer. Maybe I need to check out the trends and see if what she's doing - this super groomed faux Grace Kelly thing - is happening and I just haven't picked up on it. Shosh's look is everywhere, and Hannah's look is everywhere. I think Lena actually created the Hannah look. I have noticed that MANY more girls that age and similar in build to Hannah - or bigger - are now going for trends in their clothing in a big way, so I think that was a good thing Dunham did. Jessa's look is just "I'm a beautiful girl with great hair and don't have to try that hard" - where everything looks bohemian on her. She doesn't have to spend anything.

There's this myth that women in classic movies  of the 1930s and later didn't have to be super thin - that that's a contemporary development. But it's not true. Almost all of the major female movie stars of the 1930s - and back then 5'6" was on the tall side - were carrying not 5, but 10-15 more pounds when they first broke into film, and dropped that weight for stardom. They were pretty enough and sexy enough to get into film to begin with, but once on the stardom track, they were extremely thin. Check out Myrna Loy in The Thin Man sometime - she was 29 when she filmed that. She's lovely, and so is her figure, but there's not an ounce of body fat on her. Ditto Carole Lombard. The rationale behind this, I believe, was the faces. These women all had extraordinary bone structure, but if you look at photos of them from their teens, it didn't leap out at you the way it did at the height of their stardom (and I mean apart from make-up). The idea was that the eyes look as big as possible, and leap out of the face, that the smile do the same, and as for the rest of the face, anything other than cheekbones was just a waste of real estate. That's only possible if the woman is very thin.  I think the reason for many women in film being extremely thin is the face, much more than having a teensy figure, although most of these women did get themselves down to a teensy size. Even when Ingrid Bergman comes along she is built bigger - bigger shoulders, taller (5'10") but once she makes "Intermezzo" in English she is much thinner than when she made it in Sweden. Just look at her waistline in some of the shots.

Guys are required to be toned or even ripped, but other than that most male actors of that type are also very thin, with low body fat. In person many are positively skinny. I used to know a guy who modeled - it was sexy modeling, not fashion modeling. His photos made him seem as if he had a perfect body, but in person he was small, just very defined and well proportioned.

Allison Williams is a good looking woman in real world terms, and an envied "type", but in the universe of actresses of her type in which she's competing for roles, her looks don't stand out. I don't believe that's a natural thinness - I know one extremely naturally skinny girl who accentuates it with stillettos, and everything on her is tiny. She's not SHORT, but her bones are petite, her frame is little. Williams' isn't. I wonder if she's trying to really define her facial features as much as possible, because they don't stand out against others out there doing the same job (compare her to Ali MacGraw in her prime, for example).

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 3

I don't have a problem with Lareene going through a dark period, considering all that she has been through.  I don't expect everyone to stay happy and sunshiney all the time just because it makes other people more comfortable.  If she's sad and miserable, then she's sad and miserable, and the only thing worse than being sad and miserable is being made to feel like you're a piece of shit if you dare to show it around other people.  I believe she will come around eventually, but I don't begrudge her an iota of bitterness.  I'd be bitter, too.

6.  I once forgot about a guinea pig for six weeks.

Aaaaaand, now I hate Hannah all over again.

• Love 2

Take two:

Good episode. Re Hannah's pregnancy, while I've got my doubts, because well, Hannah, Loreen & Elijah's attitudes aren't helping. It's tough for older, divorced women, but Loreen's constant self-pity & comparing her grandchild's life to "death" prove proves that Hannah's crazy is hereditary, at least on her mama's side.  Loreen is entitled to her opinion, but she's not entitled to inflicting her misery on Hannah unchallenged when it was the last thing that Hannah needed to hear at the time. If Loreen doesn't want to come home to an empty house, then she should sell it, or at least think about it. If Loreen doesn't want to do things that she hates, then she shouldn't do them, but she shouldn't take it out on Hannah and/or the baby, either. As for Elijah, while I sometimes heart him, this time, he was way out of line. Elijah may not approve of what Hannah's doing with her life, but at least she's doing something, which is way more than I can say for Elijah, whose only goals seem to be getting high, throwing shade at people who are more successful than he is and crashing on Hannah's couch for the rest of his life. Dill, Elijah's ex, was right about him being "aimless." "Fucking [one's] way to the middle" isn't an accomplishment; it's laziness. 

Make room on the Jessa Hate Train for me. I would call Jessa shitty, but shit is actually useful sometimes; Jessa, otoh, not so much, to put it mildly. Jessa's awfulness rears its ugly head at some of the worst possible moments and this episode was a prime example, whether it was her gloating to Adam that she didn't have to care about the script because she's the movie's producer or her realizing that Adam still has feelings for Hannah.  Whatever goodwill I had for Jessa for her taking care of the old lady she squandered by her treatment of her friends-what few she has left, that is. 

I'm also on the Marnie Hate train. Marnie, like Jessa, is the worst. Marnie's so bad she's almost got me feeling sorry for Desi. I'm not letting Ray off the hook, though. He knew what Marnie was all along and the only reason he put up with her shit as long as he did was because of her looks. However, Hermie's death made Ray finally wake up and see that he deserves much better than Marnie and if/when Ray finishes removing his head from his ass, he'll realize that it's Shoshanna. 

• Love 2