Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Gummies

Adam and Jessa begin shooting scenes for their film; Hannah's mother has a hard time accepting the next phase of her life; Marnie does a less-than-stellar job of being there for a grieving Ray.

How do you go from "we should make our own movie" to having a script and being on a set shooting that movie in what can't be more than a few weeks?  I'm sure all will be revealed, but that puzzles me more than Hannah's pregnancy.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, kathe5133 said:

How do you go from "we should make our own movie" to having a script and being on a set shooting that movie in what can't be more than a few weeks?  I'm sure all will be revealed, but that puzzles me more than Hannah's pregnancy.

They seemed high or manic AF last week.  Perhaps Adam is still manic...

• Love 3

Adam-because Jessa has no real source of income- must have a load of money just laying around. How else were they able to get all these people to work on this movie? This is a good reminder though for how crazy Adam was at the start of this show. So thanks for that refresher show! 

I think Jessa really hated watching the scene where Adam said to Hannah he didn't care if she was crazy at least they were in each other's lives. I think that's why she was all "isn't it too much? What's the point of this scene" and that she doesn't understand that Adam and Hannah were in love. I think Jessa chooses to ignore this. That made me laugh. It explains a lot. 

Soshshona is the only grownup of the girls. She used to annoy me but I find I love her lately. Maybe because she's being used in sparing scenes this season. For a point maybe but all the same. 

Also im loving Hannah's wardrobe this season, except for last weeks outfit to the doctors but her dress in this episode was quite pretty. She looks good in yellow.

So.. Hannah's keeping it, not surprised. 

I know the joke is everybody hates Marnie. I never activate hated her like everyone else does, I liked her once and always tried to see all sides but is she supposed to be this damn awful of a human being without a heart? Seriously. The girl has no sense of a soul tonight in her scene with Ray. Yes you are more than a bad person Marnie and I was probably one of her only defenders on this board! And now I'm done. 

Also yes please Ray break up with her. Break up with all the girls. Keep Sosh around, you two can be friends as that seems to work out well, but the rest of them get the hell away and do something great.

Aw Lorraine on gummy bears! Kind of funny but.. sad. I half expected Hannah to be all "move in with me Mom! I'm going to need you".  

Also Laird. I hope Sample is all good.

Eilliaj and Hannah running around trying to find Lorriane was hilarious! "She's saying something about crispy noodles! How can they be crisper?" "What are we doing here?" "Well last time she was at a laundromat !" "You think she would go to a different one?" 

And Eillijahs reaction to finding out Hannah is with child. And thank you Eiljah for stating the obvious. This is a bad idea. THANK YOU! And he does have a right to be mad about the situation a bit because his life has to change now. And also Hannah expected Eiljah to be a sort of Dad to her kid? I did feel bad a little when he told her she would be a horrible mother though. You really can't come back from that. 

Also it was interesting to see Hannah next to her counterpart and the advice was nice but I don't know. I'm still nervous Hannah as a mother. 

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Adam-because Jessa has no real source of income- must have a load of money just laying around. How else were they able to get all these people to work on this movie? This is a good reminder though for how crazy Adam was at the start of this show. So thanks for that refresher show! 

I think Jessa really hated watching the scene where Adam said to Hannah he didn't care if she was crazy at least they were in each other's lives. I think that's why she was all "isn't it too much? What's the point of this scene" and that she doesn't understand that Adam and Hannah were in love. I think Jessa chooses to ignore this. That made me laugh. It explains a lot. 

Soshshona is the only grownup of the girls. She used to annoy me but I find I love her lately. Maybe because she's being used in sparing scenes this season. For a point maybe but all the same. 

Also im loving Hannah's wardrobe this season, except for last weeks outfit to the doctors but her dress in this episode was quite pretty. She looks good in yellow.

So.. Hannah's keeping it, not surprised. 

I know the joke is everybody hates Marnie. I never activate hated her like everyone else does, I liked her once and always tried to see all sides but is she supposed to be this damn awful of a human being without a heart? Seriously. The girl has no sense of a soul tonight in her scene with Ray. Yes you are more than a bad person Marnie and I was probably one of her only defenders on this board! And now I'm done. 

Also yes please Ray break up with her. Break up with all the girls. Keep Sosh around, you two can be friends as that seems to work out well, but the rest of them get the hell away and do something great.

Aw Lorraine on gummy bears! Kind of funny but.. sad. I half expected Hannah to be all "move in with me Mom! I'm going to need you".  

Also Laird. I hope Sample is all good.

Eilliaj and Hannah running around trying to find Lorriane was hilarious! "She's saying something about crispy noodles! How can they be crisper?" "What are we doing here?" "Well last time she was at a laundromat !" "You think she would go to a different one?" 

And Eillijahs reaction to finding out Hannah is with child. And thank you Eiljah for stating the obvious. This is a bad idea. THANK YOU! And he does have a right to be mad about the situation a bit because his life has to change now. And also Hannah expected Eiljah to be a sort of Dad to her kid? I did feel bad a little when he told her she would be a horrible mother though. You really can't come back from that. 

Also it was interesting to see Hannah next to her counterpart and the advice was nice but I don't know. I'm still nervous Hannah as a mother. 

Marnie is just the worst! Is it just me or has she gotten more self-involved with each show? Glad Ray dumped her...

• Love 3

Laureen is such a downer. She's not the first woman to end up single in her 60s; people can and do have great relationships later in life.

I loved seeing Jessa's brain explode at the realization that Adam was in love with Hannah. She's such a narcissist she thinks the only relationship that matters to him is the one with her. 

Finally Ray is done with Marnie's bullshit. Too bad that Hermie had to die for him to have that epiphany.

I'm still not 100% happy about the pregnancy, but Lena Dunham's acting of it has been top notch.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 21

Hannah not getting too much support from anyone.  Loraine and Elijah are feeling too sorry for themselves to be happy for her.

I didn't pause it, just tried to quickly read some of the reasons Hannah had for not having the baby.  She's 27 and less mature than her age was one.

Another was that she didn't like having her nipples sucked.  She's proving the first one with the second one.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, scrb said:

I didn't pause it, just tried to quickly read some of the reasons Hannah had for not having the baby.  She's 27 and less mature than her age was one.

Another was that she didn't like having her nipples sucked.

10 minutes ago, Maire said:

re: Hannah's list: she's not good at sports 

She'll probably never see the dad again, she'll make less than $24k this year, and she has oral herpes.

• Love 5

Hannah's list.

Reasons It's Insane To Have A Baby:

1.  I am only 27

2.  I act even younger than that.

3.  I'll probably never see that dad again.

4.  I am bad at sports.

5.  I will make less than 24K this year.

6.  I once forgot about a guinea pig for six weeks.

7.  I have oral herpes.

8.  I don't enjoy getting my nipples sucked.

Edited by Decider
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I loved seeing Jessa's brain explode at the realization that Adam was in love with Hannah. She's such a narcissist she thinks the only relationship that matters to him is the one with her. 

I enjoyed the schadenfreude SO MUCH. Is this movie going to be the catalyst that makes Adam and Hannah endgame? Because I feel like that's where this is all going, even though I hope I'm wrong.

ETA: Oops, TVbitch, I didn't see that you'd already basically posited this upthread. ITA, though.

Edited by acid burn
  • Love 9

I, too, find it hilarious that Jessa is just realizing that Adam and Hannah were in love. It's kind of hilarious. And also makes me laugh a little at the whole Jessa and Adam belong together, I never truly believed they even liked each other. Last season they did have nice moments but those felt random and out of place. Don't get me wrong I hated that fight last season but that's how I felt I could never understand why people think that's okay. 

I think we are getting to some sort of a story. I just really hate the trope of people having to become parents to be grown up/adults. Plently of people don't want kids, are they not adults? Plus I fear like another poster said that Elijah is going to have a come to Jesus moment about Hannah and how he was wrong. He wasn't wrong in that moment. Also I'm still stuck that Hannah was like hoping he'd be a somewhat coparent or something.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I just really hate the trope of people having to become parents to be grown up/adults. Plently of people don't want kids, are they not adults?

I don't agree that portraying parenthood as a way to become more mature means it is being portrayed as the only way.

I will say that although I cringed before opening this episode thread, expecting massive fury over Hannah's decision, it hasn't been as extreme as I thought it might be.

I'm happy for her.  I have four kids and am a big proponent of parenthood and the idea that you don't have to be boring or conservative just because you have kids.

• Love 11

I am one (of the apparently few) who likes Jessa and Adam, so yeah, this kind of very clear foreshadowing that Adam and Hannah will wind up endgame now (I really hope we're wrong) disappoints me. For one, Jessa knows Adam and Hannah were in love, even if they were dysfunctional and weird. For another, I get her feelings of insecurity and jealousy--I doubt anyone would feel completely unfazed by seeing your significant other's former love affair play out in front of them--but while I could see her losing her shit over it later with Adam, I also think that Jessa would be too cool for school to show all that in front of the crew. I'm maybe just projecting there. I also can't believe she didn't bother to read the script. I in no way think Adam and Jessa are actually a healthy couple, or destined to last forever, but I believe them together, more than I ever did him n Hannah.  Jessa looked crazy-beautiful last nite. And crazy.

Daisy Eagen is a brilliant Hannah doppelganger; great job, casting people.

How does one live in Brooklyn on less than 24K a year, even with a roommate, especially one who has very few actual means of support himself?

I adore Elijah and he made me laugh out loud several times, as always, but he was brutal with Hannah, even if he's right. Have we ever heard Hannah say she wanted kids? She told Elijah she'd always told him she did, one day. And I kind of do see him and Hannah raising the baby together, eventually, if Adam and Hannah do not do the predictable thing and wind up together.

Loreen bugs the hell out of me. A lot of women her age have had their marriages end, and it's terrible and hard and devastating, but they don't all become bitter shrews about it. I feel sympathy to a point, of course, but her absolute, dogged insistence that her life is over without a man is infuriating.

Marnie is the worst. I really do hope Ray's breaking up with her sticks.

6 hours ago, Decider said:

Well, that's just crazy.

Tangentially, I saw Adam Driver in 'Paterson' this weekend, and it's a perfect little jewel of a movie that most people aren't going to see, and most probably wouldn't like if they did: it's one of those little films that deal with the minutiae of life where not much really happens but everything happens, like life. Driver is lovely and lyrical in this; I choose to believe Girls Adam is that kind of actor, tho I'm uncertain just WHAT we're supposed to believe about his talents.

• Love 8

6 hours ago, Decider said:

luna 1122 replied:

Well, that's just crazy.

Luna, you really sound like my kind of woman, heh.

My take-way from last night- I kinda like vulnerable, calm, reasonable Hannah.  She was actually cute and charming in this episode, never thought I'd say that about her.  Lena's writing and acting have been way above average this season.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 9

I wonder if Jessa will portray herself in Adam and Jessa's film.  If not, I can't wait to see whom they will cast. 

The guys yelling, "Loreen! Loreen!"  Was that a reference to a movie character?

Genevieve has THREE kids? And she's in her late 20's?

Loved Elijah's Nancy Drew snark.  

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I adore Elijah and he made me laugh out loud several times, as always, but he was brutal with Hannah, even if he's right.

I remember feeling for Elijah when the news guy dumped him.  But after watching Elijah tell Hannah she's going to be a lousy mother, I feel the news guy was too gentle to Miss Elijah.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

Speaking as someone who is also going through this, I have to say, when people keep telling you you'll meet someone, it can be infuriating.  Honestly, it's slim pickings for women over the age of 60 and even if there are suitors galore approaching you, it takes time to let go of the 30-plus years long relationship.  I understood exactly what Loreen was saying about not wanting to get out of the car and go in the house because there was no one there.   It takes time to rebuild a life.  A lot of the time it just feels like keeping busy (working out, joining clubs, starting new hobbies). 

I get it. I've been thru a divorce but was considerably younger than Loreen at the time, and it's terrible. I also hated people saying I'd get married again (I was always like: 'that's the meanest thing anyone could say to me. I just got out of a bad marriage, why would I want to do it again?'), so I get her being enraged by that. It's her idea that withOUT being in a relationship her life is nothing is what bugs me. I hope she'll come out of that, but she strikes me as a kind of bitter person anyway, so I'm not sure. I also suppose having a husband shock you (and she did seem genuinely shocked, I think?) by declaring he was gay would add extra elements to the anguish over a breakup, and him already finding someone else too. My ex sister in law's dad came out as gay late in his fifties, and his wife literally never got over it, and often said she just wished she'd never known and they could have stayed married, and both of them died within three years after the whole thing blew up, and it was all really sad. (the deaths had nothing to do with him being gay, I only mention them because..well, they happened, and it just all was tragic, and she died bitter and unhappy and devastated). So anyway, I sympathize with her situation, but Loreen makes it very hard to like her. At least, I don't like her.

Elijah is a bitter little bitch too, but Andrew Rannells is magic. His face just after he says that terrible thing to Hannah, and then she begins to cry: he briefly crumbles, knowing he's said something unforgivable and he's sad he's made her cry, but only for a second, before he's back to cold, narcissitic bitch. He's so good.

• Love 19
12 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I get it. I've been thru a divorce but was considerably younger than Loreen at the time, and it's terrible. I also hated people saying I'd get married again (I was always like: 'that's the meanest thing anyone could say to me. I just got out of a bad marriage, why would I want to do it again?'), so I get her being enraged by that. It's her idea that withOUT being in a relationship her life is nothing is what bugs me. I hope she'll come out of that, but she strikes me as a kind of bitter person anyway, so I'm not sure. I also suppose having a husband shock you (and she did seem genuinely shocked, I think?) by declaring he was gay would add extra elements to the anguish over a breakup, and him already finding someone else too. My ex sister in law's dad came out as gay late in his fifties, and his wife literally never got over it, and often said she just wished she'd never known and they could have stayed married, and both of them died within three years after the whole thing blew up, and it was all really sad. (the deaths had nothing to do with him being gay, I only mention them because..well, they happened, and it just all was tragic, and she died bitter and unhappy and devastated). So anyway, I sympathize with her situation, but Loreen makes it very hard to like her. At least, I don't like her.

Elijah is a bitter little bitch too, but Andrew Rannells is magic. His face just after he says that terrible thing to Hannah, and then she begins to cry: he briefly crumbles, knowing he's said something unforgivable and he's sad he's made her cry, but only for a second, before he's back to cold, narcissitic bitch. He's so good.

I think Loreen can be a bit rough, but I have liked her in the past.  I hope she gets past it as well, but I loved her worrying about taking the baby to Williamsburg, and not being able to do it, because she's not part of a couple, but her ex and his partner can.  I think part of the bitterness is that her ex is already in another relationship.

As for your ex-sister-in-law's parents, 3 years probably wasn't enough time for her to step into the light again. Sadly, it takes time to regain a forward looking perspective.  And, agreed, some people never get there.  

I was sad Loreen wasn't more excited about the grandchild, because I definitely would be excited about that.  :)

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 6

Loreen bugs the hell out of me. A lot of women her age have had their marriages end, and it's terrible and hard and devastating, but they don't all become bitter shrews about it. I feel sympathy to a point, of course, but her absolute, dogged insistence that her life is over without a man is infuriating.

The show has repeatedly played this angle with her (like last season when she went to the spa and came away from the weekend with the idea that she should stay married to her husband, because otherwise no one will want her and she'll be alone), and it's such a weird message to send. 

• Love 7

I really liked the fact that the two people who were stereotypically supposed to be all excited were so angry. The "gay friend" because he wasn't told first and didn't want to live with a baby; the prospective grandmother because it means death. The movie provides an interesting thing, too, in that we're seeing the story of Adam and Hannah from Adam's perspective, kind of like as if ANNIE HALL had shown Diane Keaton's character singing a song about their failed love affair at the end. Those characters did not end up together; and even if (as I surmise) the movie ends Adam and Jessa there's no reason to think Adam and Hannah will. (Jessa said when they got together that *if* they got together it would end with him in a body bag and her heading for the border. Seems all too possible.)

• Love 6
7 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I think we are getting to some sort of a story. I just really hate the trope of people having to become parents to be grown up/adults. Plently of people don't want kids, are they not adults?

I think the writers actually expressed this in not so many words with the lines of the actress playing Hannah at the end: "Kids are easy. It's being an adult that's hard." Kids aren't some magical shortcut to maturity and character growth. There was a brief discussion on the previous episode thread about posters with dumpster fire parents, so I think some posters on the boards can attest to the fact that becoming a parent doesn't imbue anyone with instant maturity.

Also I'm still stuck that Hannah was like hoping he'd be a somewhat coparent or something.

Yes, Hannah seemed to have this expectation that Elijah would want to be a surrogate parent for her kid. First of all, she should have known better. Second of all, has she even met Elijah?

With all that said, Elijah's tantrum when he found out that Hannah told her mother first was not on. Grow up, Elijah.

"I'm not going to die." "Good, because I don't think I could handle that." Aw, Ray and Shosh.

Who's the worst, Marnie or Jessa? I give the edge to Jessa, because Marnie's self-absorption at least is hilarious. ("I feel like this is the grief talking...or the asbestos.")

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

The show has repeatedly played this angle with her (like last season when she went to the spa and came away from the weekend with the idea that she should stay married to her husband, because otherwise no one will want her and she'll be alone), and it's such a weird message to send. 

Is this a "message" or is it a realistic view of a character who was married for 30 years to a man she recently found is gay.  The implications of that can be quite unsettling.  I'm sure the questions "How could I not have known?", "Did he ever love me?", "Was I just a beard?", "Is my whole life fictitious?", are just some of the questions going through Laureen's head.  And that would be bad enough, but to add that the ex-husband already has a partner and moved on, and is finally happy and living his truth must kill.  Having a self-involved daughter surely doesn't help.  Laureen probably married her husband while she was in college or shortly after college.  An empty house can be sad.  It's likely she has never lived alone.  Everybody's moving on; the ex, Hannah's pregnant, the only one in stasis is Laureen.  In my view, she's not angry enough!

Off topic and totally shallow, but Shosh looked darling in that dress!

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 12

The guys yelling, "Loreen! Loreen!"  Was that a reference to a movie character?

Maybe the scene in "As Good as It Gets" when Melvin (Jack Nicholson) chases Carol (Helen Hunt) down the street?  Seems like that flick would be one of Lena's favorites.

• Love 2

I think this episode is realistic. Everyone is viewing Hannah's baby and how it will affect them and not supporting Hannah. I will say this Hannah seems really autonomous in this decision...she isn't looking for advice...she has made up her mind and is figuring it out. Despite her mom and Elijah, she seems at peace with her decision. That is part of being an adult...not having you r decisions filtered through other people

• Love 13
30 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Is this a "message" or is it a realistic view of a character who was married for 30 years to a man she recently found is gay.

yeah she spent about half her life with her husband, it's believable (IMO) that it is taking time for her to adjust to being single again.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

yeah she spent about half her life with her husband, it's believable (IMO) that it is taking time for her to adjust to being single again.

its realistic...my mom and dad split up for awhile and my mom was the same way.  These people have been married since their early 20s

• Love 2

Is this a "message" or is it a realistic view of a character who was married for 30 years to a man she recently found is gay.

At least in terms of the spa episode, she started off the episode wanting the divorce until all the other women she met made it seem as though her getting divorced would only lead to her being alone the rest of her life, i.e. that she should stay in a questionable marriage, because the alternative for a woman her age was too horrible to consider.  It wasn't about adjusting to being single, so much as she shouldn't leave her marriage.  

I'm also not sure what Hannah was expecting from Elijah.  He hasn't proved particularly reliable in the past, and it doesn't seem like he would ever be able to get past his own self-centered nature to focus on the needs of a child. 

• Love 2

I love Elijah--in theory--but he's really starting to bug me. What is he doing to move his life forward? I understand his views about Hannah's pregnancy news but he went way over the top as he does so very often and I didn't like it.

I've never been a fan of the Jessa/Adam pairing in part because I'm demented and want Hannah and Adam to work it out, so it was wonderful to see her reject the notion that Adam and Hannah were once actually truly in love at one point and connected in a way that she hasn't with him and perhaps never will, mostly because of her own character flaws. He's going to tire of her bullshit soon. Jemima Kirke did look beautiful last night, though, with the red lipstick.

Why aren't we seeing more of Shoshanna? Is it because she's keeping her word to stay away from these toxic women? Is the actress involved in some outside project?

This season has so far been so, so, so good and I'm going to cry during the finale.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, politichick said:

Why aren't we seeing more of Shoshanna? Is it because she's keeping her word to stay away from these toxic women?

That's what I'm hoping for.

5 minutes ago, politichick said:

Is the actress involved in some outside project?

Although, this is more likely.

28 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I'm also not sure what Hannah was expecting from Elijah.

Not being a mean-spirited asshole, for starters.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

At least in terms of the spa episode, she started off the episode wanting the divorce until all the other women she met made it seem as though her getting divorced would only lead to her being alone the rest of her life, i.e. that she should stay in a questionable marriage, because the alternative for a woman her age was too horrible to consider.  It wasn't about adjusting to being single, so much as she shouldn't leave her marriage.  

I'm also not sure what Hannah was expecting from Elijah.  He hasn't proved particularly reliable in the past, and it doesn't seem like he would ever be able to get past his own self-centered nature to focus on the needs of a child. 

Speaking as someone who got married for the first (and last, I hope) time at the age of 52, I think Loreen should give the whole, "My life is over; I'll be alone forever" thing a rest. The only thing that would virtually guarantee her ending up old and alone is her own pissy attitude about everything. And Elijah's so busy thinking about how Hannah being a mother is going to change his life, how it's going to inconvenience him, that his opinion on what sort of mother she'll be is hardly a reliable one. All he can see is that another baby is taking his toy.

9 hours ago, Eyes High said:
16 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I think we are getting to some sort of a story. I just really hate the trope of people having to become parents to be grown up/adults. Plently of people don't want kids, are they not adults?

I think the writers actually expressed this in not so many words with the lines of the actress playing Hannah at the end: "Kids are easy. It's being an adult that's hard." Kids aren't some magical shortcut to maturity and character growth. There was a brief discussion on the previous episode thread about posters with dumpster fire parents, so I think some posters on the boards can attest to the fact that becoming a parent doesn't imbue anyone with instant maturity.

Also I'm still stuck that Hannah was like hoping he'd be a somewhat coparent or something.

Yes, Hannah seemed to have this expectation that Elijah would want to be a surrogate parent for her kid. First of all, she should have known better. Second of all, has she even met Elijah?

With all that said, Elijah's tantrum when he found out that Hannah told her mother first was not on. Grow up, Elijah.

"I'm not going to die." "Good, because I don't think I could handle that." Aw, Ray and Shosh.

Who's the worst, Marnie or Jessa? I give the edge to Jessa, because Marnie's self-absorption at least is hilarious. ("I feel like this is the grief talking...or the asbestos.")

Of all of the "Girls", Marnie is the one who seems to have learned, and grown, the least. If you take the very first episode of the show and then watch the most recent episode right after, I think it would look like all of the characters are completely different people except Marnie, for whom it will seem that no time at all has passed; she's exactly the same. I find that sad, and a little disappointing. I suppose there's always a chance that she's going to have some sudden epiphany and realize what a narcissistic douche she is and mend her ways, but doing that in such a short amount of time as the series has left would seem unnatural and a bit of a disappointment in itself. So maybe what we're meant to take from Marnie is that some people just are what they are, right out of the box, and there you have it.

• Love 7

Holy crap, the actress who played the actress playing the fictionalized version of Hannah is 37!

Elijah bagging on the guy who was in the Oberlin acapella group with him was so hilariously petty: "And his nieces are HIDEOUS."

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 12

From the recap:  In fact, props to her for being the voice of the viewer with regard to Adam's preposterous "rescue" of Hannah-in-crisis so many seasons ago.

Agree with the others thinking this is the end game we're building up to.  Adam will reunite with Hannah and help her to raise the baby.  We already had a preview of Adam being quasi responsible with a baby when he and Jessa were babysitting his niece.

Really enjoyed seeing Jessa have her delusions exposed and her bubble burst.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Maybe the scene in "As Good as It Gets" when Melvin (Jack Nicholson) chases Carol (Helen Hunt) down the street?  Seems like that flick would be one of Lena's favorites.

Hannah's mother's name is Lorene. Or am I missing something in this question? They were yelling her name in the street.

2 hours ago, politichick said:

Why aren't we seeing more of Shoshanna? Is it because she's keeping her word to stay away from these toxic women? Is the actress involved in some outside project?

Checked IMDB for current projects - there are a few things listed.  And while I knew her father is David Mamet, I had no idea her granddaddy wrote my favorite musical of all time, The Sound of Music!

"Zosia Mamet's maternal grandfather was Russel Crouse, who co-wrote such classic American musicals as "Anything Goes" and "The Sound of Music.""

• Love 3
5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Marnie is the worst. I really do hope Ray's breaking up with her sticks.

I don't believe Hanna's mother is supposed to represent ALL woman of a certain age-- just that character specifically. And the character of Lorraine is finding herself to be alone for the first time in her adult life. She doesn't know what to do with that. Her generation was led to believe that when you get married-- it was for life. Period. So suddenly finding out that your husband of 30+ years is gay-- and he leaves you for another man is devastating to her. Almost like a death. I thought she portrayed it very well. I believed her bitterness and loneliness and pain. and it was funny! the way she was eating the gummies like regular candy! Cuz yeah! The effect takes a bit to kick in. Haha! I was like-- you're going to feel that honey-- just give it time!

I love Marnie. I loved that she can't even make it 40 minutes listening to Ray (yawn) go on and on about a person Marnie has never even liked! haha! She has NO interest in going through some dead dudes crap. Marnie doesn't like Ray. Marnie only likes Marnie. Never change girl! be true to your narcissistic self.

The movie that Adam and Jessa are making looks like they got the material directly from Hanna's writing. The actress they got to play the "hanna" role was amazing! Haha! I kept having to do double-takes.

Elijah is kind of an entitled little prick. He's funny for the most part -- but telling Hanna that she will be a terrible mother kind of crossed a line.

• Love 3

Does anyone remember a few seasons ago Hannah had a book deal but then the guy died and for some reason her book was locked in limbo for X amount of years?  Maybe the time is up and the book becomes a success to where she can now afford to have a baby in NYC. 

• Love 1

Elijah always nails his scenes. He is such a type. I've been friends with guys like that. He is consistently hilarious. It was cruel of him to tell Hannah she would be a terrible mother, but that's part of who he is (keeping it real when it suits him).  I believe he was also genuinely hurt, a little afraid of what will really change his life (because it's all about him), and perhaps a tiny bit jealous. The jealousy I'm not as certain of, but Hannah's pregnancy will result in less attention from her for him and likely put an end to using the apartment for drug binges and orgies. He, at least, seems to realize this.

The actress that played Hannah was so adorable. Adam seems to have written her character very cute and less annoyingly neurotic than Hannah actually seems to be in the show. Jessa indicated she didn't read the script, so apparently this is all new to her. I wonder if she had read it if she would see that Adam still loves Hannah in his way. Jessa was so clearly uncomfortable with everything that showed the Mira character as anything other than ridiculous and laughable. She so clearly wants Hannah to see it and feel humiliated.

Speaking of humiliation, Loreen feels it. I definitely saw where Hannah gets her entitlement, neurosis, and narcissism when Loreen was complaining about her life and being a grandma. Every time she sees her grandchild she will see death?  Nice. That's a great thing to say to your daughter when she's expecting her first child. Alone.  Part of me really wants to empathize with Loreen and her difficulty in accepting her new life.  All that shit about older women being invisible is real. She has suffered greatly...and not quietly. It's not her job to shut up about it, but it does make me wish she was the type of person who would speak to her therapist about it instead of lashing out at her child.

• Love 10