Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: A Honeymoon and a Courtship

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

On 2/27/2017 at 9:14 PM, Chicklet said:

Not to get all clinical on all ya'll (its the oxycodone) but given how physically starved for affection these kids have been all their lives its kind of a miracle that Cringe hasn't run the other way from Babe or turned out like Jill and Jessa or deviantly like Josh. She seems, dare I say it, almost like a normal newlywed.

Who knows what the future holds for Jinger and Jeremy but I have seen a genuine attraction and joy on their faces when they are together. They laugh! I liked the little smirk on Jinger's face when Jeremy asked her what was the second thing she was most looking forward on the honeymoon. It was a normal flirtatious smirk, she wants him so bad, I hope he's good to her. She deserves some joy. 

• Love 10
On 2/28/2017 at 5:24 PM, Gemma Violet said:

I noticed that, and each bed had been slept in.  

I feel so sorry for Jana.  In 2-3 years, she's lost four sisters and now has quadruple the work load (or maybe triple since Jessa probably didn't pull her weight around the house).  Since going to college or seeing the world will never happen to her, I'd like to see her begin courting just to have a chance to escape.  She said she wanted someone who worked with their hands.  There must be some nice mechanic or carpenter in town, but the thing is, the older she gets, the less her chances.  Most fundie guys her age are probably already married.  And no way would JB let her marry a divorced man.  My fantasy is she'd fall head over heels for a TLC production guy who'd take her away and show her a whole new world.  I know--never happen.

I too think Jana would be lonely. Even if she didn't want to get married, losing the companionship of all of her close in age sisters has to sting. She does have JD, however he's busy working outside of the home, and now she's stuck with all the Little's and M kids. Anna is around but who knows if she is comfortable with her or not. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I too think Jana would be lonely. Even if she didn't want to get married, losing the companionship of all of her close in age sisters has to sting. She does have JD, however he's busy working outside of the home, and now she's stuck with all the Little's and M kids. Anna is around but who knows if she is comfortable with her or not. 

I agree. There's no way she can't be lonely. It's not like she has a job or social life outside the compound. JD's off working, the Twins keep to themselves and Joe and Si probably don't even acknowledge her unless they need her to make them a sandwich or iron a shirt. I get so depressed for her. She loves DIY, so why can't she work three days a week at Lowe's or Home Depot? She'd still have plenty of time leftover to raise Michelle's children.

• Love 11
On 03/03/2017 at 11:17 AM, drafan said:

Mullet is probably texting her to find out if she peed on the stick yet, and to make sure she's packed 100 pregnancy tests for her honeymoon.

I don't think Mullet gives a fuck. Jill, on the other hand...

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:10 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I posted the interview with Banana Man in the Duggalo thread a couple of days ago. :)

What/where is the "Duggalo" thread? Or could you post the link here?

On 3/3/2017 at 10:02 PM, AnnaBaptist said:

Totally OT, but her name was Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackerelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking. Don't ask me why I remember this 45+ years later.

Pippi Longstocking was my most favorite.book.ever. 

• Love 5
On 3/4/2017 at 8:45 PM, doodlebug said:

I suspect she packed them to take home for Michelle to inspect to confirm she was 'joyfully available'.  Then, Jinger can start a scrapbook with the bloody sheet as the first page and her first positive pee stick as the second. On their anniversaries, Jing and Jer, can look through it and reminisce.  After all, in Duggarland, this is Jinger's whole reason for existing.

Don't women sometimes not bleed that much their first time? I know I didn't notice anything after mine. (And I completely agree with all the privacy comments, I feel weird even saying that last sentence) I've always thought, with those that hold Virginity in such high regard, it must be terrible to not have that 'evidence' to show afterwards.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I'm also of the opinion that Mr Nilsson (her pet monkey) is of superior intelligence in comparison to the collective IQs of the entire Duggar clan.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Booey said:

Don't women sometimes not bleed that much their first time? I know I didn't notice anything after mine. (And I completely agree with all the privacy comments, I feel weird even saying that last sentence) I've always thought, with those that hold Virginity in such high regard, it must be terrible to not have that 'evidence' to show afterwards.

You're right, many women have little to no bleeding the first time. 

• Love 4
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

This has always made me wonder if the Duggar girls are allowed to wear tampons or if they have to wait until they are married.

they make tampons so small now-a-days (according to the pix on the box), being a virgin, and thus not having proof to show on wedding night, shouldn't stop the D. girls from using them.

Speaking of wedding night - no one said anything about the recent engagement announcement ? Yes, I knew it was coming - just didn't think it would be this soon. JB ckhg/saving acct must be getting low.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

This has always made me wonder if the Duggar girls are allowed to wear tampons or if they have to wait until they are married.

I don't know about the Duggars, but I have encountered strict Muslim and Orthodox Jewish women who will not use tampons until after marriage because to do so might 'break the hymen' and lead to dishonor on their wedding night.  Just saw a young woman who refused to use the intravaginal inserter for a yeast infection because it would interfere with her virginity.  I explained that there's already an opening there or she wouldn't have menstruation and also reviewed the definition of virgin with her, but, no matter; no way she was going to put anything in her vagina prior to marriage.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I don't know about the Duggars, but I have encountered strict Muslim and Orthodox Jewish women who will not use tampons until after marriage because to do so might 'break the hymen' and lead to dishonor on their wedding night.  Just saw a young woman who refused to use the intravaginal inserter for a yeast infection because it would interfere with her virginity.  I explained that there's already an opening there or she wouldn't have menstruation and also reviewed the definition of virgin with her, but, no matter; no way she was going to put anything in her vagina prior to marriage.

@doodlebug. Thanks. I expected that was the case with Muslim or Orthodox Jewish women. As I understand it, there's plenty of ways a hymen can get perforated due to sports or other injuries that don't involve inserting anything into the vagina. Is it possible to be born without a hymen?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

@doodlebug. Thanks. I expected that was the case with Muslim or Orthodox Jewish women. As I understand it, there's plenty of ways a hymen can get perforated due to sports or other injuries that don't involve inserting anything into the vagina. Is it possible to be born without a hymen?

Almost every woman is born with an opening in her hymen, otherwise, nobody would ever have a menstrual period.  The number of women who have imperforate hymens (no opening) or even hymeneal openings too small for a tampon (or finger or penis) are very small, less than 1% of the population.  And, yes, these women usually undergo a minor surgical procedure to create or enlarge the opening.  I doubt it is possible for a man to penetrate and open up an imperforate hymen just with the act of intercourse. 

The myth that there is some something that needs to be 'broken' in order to have sex is just that, a myth.  Sure, sometimes the hymeneal opening needs stretched or the woman isn't really very relaxed and so there is a bit of bleeding; but the notion that there is some sort of ripping of tissue that happens the first time is just not accurate, in most cases.  And, no, except in the very tiny number of women who have imperforate or semi-imperforate hymens, it is really not possible to identify a woman as a virgin or not.  Not that there aren't doctors and others out there who claim they can do it.

Edited by doodlebug
remove double negative
  • Love 23

@doodlebug I learned something new, thank you Doodlebug, you are always so informative! While I did attend a sinful public school & college instead of a SOTDRT, I actually didn't know about the hymen having an opening as you describe above.

• Love 5

Thanks @doodlebug - very interesting and informative.    I just watched this episode.  I like the Jeremy that was the newlywed husband.  He has a sense of humor, can take teasing, has a good vocabulary compared to the Duggars, was openly appropriately affectionate, doesn't seem like a prude (except for his sermons, but I'm talking about being with Jinger) seems genuinely smitten with Jinger.  She seemed very sweet around him.  I don't know what their future holds, but maybe their relationship can develop into something really nice and satisfying and stable.  The other two, Austin and Joyless Anna - well, all I can say is that they look like siblings and seem very earnest.  But, maybe that is enough of a bond to carry them through.  They say they have spent a lot of time together.  I do agree that she is too young and immature, but, this is where she is headed, so I am hoping it turns out good for her when they both grow up some. 

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Almost every woman is born with an opening in her hymen, otherwise, nobody would ever have a menstrual period.  The number of women who have imperforate hymens (no opening) or even hymeneal openings too small for a tampon (or finger or penis) are very small, less than 1% of the population.  And, yes, these women usually undergo a minor surgical procedure to create or enlarge the opening.  I doubt it is possible for a man to penetrate and open up an imperforate hymen just with the act of intercourse. 

The myth that there is some something that needs to be 'broken' in order to have sex is just that, a myth.  Sure, sometimes the hymeneal opening needs stretched or the woman isn't really very relaxed and so there is a bit of bleeding; but the notion that there is some sort of ripping of tissue that happens the first time is just not accurate, in most cases.  And, no, except in the very tiny number of women who have imperforate or semi-imperforate hymens, it is really not possible to identify a woman as a virgin or not.  Not that there aren't doctors and others out there who claim they can do it.

Just to throw some anecdotal evidence into the mix:

A)I went to high school with someone who was 16 and still hadn't had a period.  Her abdomen was getting kind of distended, too.  She ended up having to have the surgical procedure you described.

B) As for the part about tearing or ripping during the first time...well, mine did.  Loudly.  My husband even heard it.  "Popping" would be an accurate description.  It hurt like hell, too.  Oddly enough, it did not bleed. 

Anyway, am I the only one who completely understands the "no visitors for six months" rule?  We're talking about a bride who is a Duggar, and her new husband who (hopefully) is trying to break her out of her shell.  Also, after the dreadful way Jessa came in and took over the apartment decorating, I don't blame them one bit for not wanting any of them to come around for a while.  I actually see it as a good sign.

I hope that, when Jinger does get pregnant and have a baby, in an actual hospital, one or more of her sisters will show up and try to take over and it will go down like this.    

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 8

I'm not sure I'd ever let Jessa in the apartment again after the way she acted during the decorating episode.  I hope a lot of that was put on for the cameras and not how they really act with each other. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She acted that way with Jana over some stupid Hobby Lobby decor when they were doing up the Pool House, so I'm pretty sure that this is the real deal Jessa coming out. 

pool house? I missed that eposide

The pool house is a house very close to (or even next door to?) the Duggar compound that Boob bought back in 2015. They've been doing all of Counting On's TH segments there since its purchase. Jill and Derick lived there during this last sojurn in the States. It's over 3000 square feet and has a pool, hence its name. 

If that's truly how Jessa is, and yes I remember the pool house and how Jana looked like she could swat Jessa, so it may be her real way of dealing with people.  If it is then I would never hold it against Jeremy if he kept her at a distance.  Then considering how Jim Bob was poking around and making nasty comments, I'm not sure I'd invite the family to visit or at least recommend a good campground/RV park.  It seems Jinger could use a nice long vacation from quite a few of the Duggars to see how differently she can live or maybe she already knows and was biding her time to get away. 

• Love 11

I will say that I think the 6 month rule is a good idea knowing the dysfunctional duggars, but, when I got married the first time and moved all of one hour away from my family, I became terribly homesick and missed my two brothers and the "commotion" of a house with people in it.  I started married life and went to work, and so did the then hubs but then it was very quiet in our little apartment. Yes we enjoyed the honeymoon phase, and we did have friends, but as real life set in, even though we were both busy, and getting used to our lives together, I really did miss my brothers and sort of missed my parents.  It took a long time to get over that.  So maybe Jinger will be okay with going cold turkey from a house with lots of "commotion" to very quiet even though she and Jeremy get to enjoy each other.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

My son and daughter absolutely loved Pippi Longstocking as well . We also had several Pippi movies which they watched over and over. Pippi being left to fend for herself while daddy went to sea!  A great story about an independent little girl and the neighborhood siblings who befriended her!

• Love 2

I think Jinger is going to miss her family, at least to some degree. What I'm thinking she'll miss most is the physical presence of bodies and noise. It's not like they have anything to talk about. They are always filmed sitting in a room looking into space or looking at their phones.

She can always Face Time Jessa and they can do their hair together. And maybe they can discuss eyeliner sold in Walmart in Laredo verses Tontitown. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

As one of the under 1 percent, I can tell you. Yep, it is apparently impossible for a man to penetrate and open up one of the really small -- though open enough for blood flow -- ones, even with multiple attempts at intercourse. When I finally realized that maybe there was something physically odd about me and went to a doctor, He said, "Well, I see somebody's been trying, but that was never going to open up by attempts at intercourse. It's just too tough."

And, of course, being a reader, what I "knew" was the second part of what Doodlebug is saying here -- that hymens just open right up. Never ran across the thing that said, "Well, except for under 1 percent of you."  So .... to my other problems I got to add, for quite some time: "Apparently a hopeless failure at sexuality." Damn that damn-near-imperforate hymen. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Haven't watched this show in ages but I checked out this episode to see the cooking lesson. The look on Jinger's face when Bec told them to stop canoodling was epic. How's it feel to be on the other side of judgment, girl? 

Haven't seen the episode, simply the commercials they were showing to promo it and I agree, I thought it was very hypocritical to think they had the right to make someone else uncomfortable after the way they've built their empire portraying themselves at the top of the holiest heap. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Haven't seen the episode, simply the commercials they were showing to promo it and I agree, I thought it was very hypocritical to think they had the right to make someone else uncomfortable after the way they've built their empire portraying themselves at the top of the holiest heap. 

Just want to mention that the promo clip made it seem very intense and real, however shown in it's entirety the 3 of them were good natured and and appeared to enjoy each other.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Just want to mention that the promo clip made it seem very intense and real, however shown in it's entirety the 3 of them were good natured and and appeared to enjoy each other.

I agree. I read the comments before seeing the episode and assumed Jinger and Jeremy were being disrespectful, but they weren't at all. The chef was actually just joking around from what I could tell.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Good to know.

• Love 2

If Jeremy is so anti-Duggar that he can't even stand to have one around for 6 months  why did her marry a Duggar?  She is gonna have a lot of baggage, is uneducated, socially awkward, dependent and basically strange to the rest of the world.  

I think he likes the "meek Jinger" and that "Jinger is a good follower" and wants to boss her around.  Isolate her and then re-mold her in his image. 

Jeremy is so weird. 

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, louannems said:

I rather wondered if TLC didn't instruct BEC to say those lines.  Because just as she told them to knock it off, her neck and cheeks turned a blotchy, bright red.

I was thinking that too.  By the time they were given their third reprimand (which was Jeremy standing behind Jinge, putting  his hands on her shoulders, nothing disgraceful in my book) most if not all of the food had been plated.  It wasn't like they were in a class of twenty people.

4 hours ago, Marigold said:

If Jeremy is so anti-Duggar that he can't even stand to have one around for 6 months  why did her marry a Duggar?  She is gonna have a lot of baggage, is uneducated, socially awkward, dependent and basically strange to the rest of the world.  

I think he likes the "meek Jinger" and that "Jinger is a good follower" and wants to boss her around.  Isolate her and then re-mold her in his image. 

Jeremy is so weird. 

I thought someone said the six months idea was Jinge's.  Maybe she is the one who wants to set up her household  & learn about Jeremy's church & her new town without entertaining her family.  They said they wanted to learn Spanish as a new year resolution.  They seemed more sincere about it than the Dullards.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 1

I don't get the impression at all that Jeremy is controlling Jinger or that he imposed the six month rule on her. Is it that unusual for a pair of newlyweds to request time to adjust to a huge new stage in their lives? I don't get the concern about Jinger, as if she is being held prisoner. I'm sure she's free to go visit her family, but as far as them coming with tons of luggage and cameras, too, to a small, modest apartment...yeah, I'd say no to that as well.  The time they went and rearranged Jeremy's apartment was just weird and I'd request boundaries as well. I can imagine Jessa and Ben coming with their two children and not understanding that it isn't exactly convenient to the Vuolos for them to visit.

Jinger has been with her family her entire life and it's time for her to start her own life with her husband. Neither Jinger nor Jeremy are wrong for the six month rule.

• Love 15

Without seeing it, it sounds like the Duggars have the idea everything and everybody is expected to be a cog in the wheel of Duggar, Inc. -- which of course is conveniently under JB's headship.  I just don't get that thinking, let alone once they start marrying.  That should absolutely be time to become their own entities. 

• Love 12
17 hours ago, Marigold said:

If Jeremy is so anti-Duggar that he can't even stand to have one around for 6 months  why did her marry a Duggar?  

TV SHOW! TV MINISTRY! PEOPLE MAGAZINE COVERS!

He's all about the cash.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I don't get the impression at all that Jeremy is controlling Jinger or that he imposed the six month rule on her. Is it that unusual for a pair of newlyweds to request time to adjust to a huge new stage in their lives? I don't get the concern about Jinger, as if she is being held prisoner. I'm sure she's free to go visit her family, but as far as them coming with tons of luggage and cameras, too, to a small, modest apartment...yeah, I'd say no to that as well.  The time they went and rearranged Jeremy's apartment was just weird and I'd request boundaries as well. I can imagine Jessa and Ben coming with their two children and not understanding that it isn't exactly convenient to the Vuolos for them to visit.

Jinger has been with her family her entire life and it's time for her to start her own life with her husband. Neither Jinger nor Jeremy are wrong for the six month rule.

I just don't like or trust Jeremy.  I think he is an unstable nutcase.  Plus a fame whore. 

A regular couple? Sure...take time to get yourself established.  Not an issue. 

But this is not a regular couple.  This is a controlling patriarchal group who rule over women.  Jeremy and Jim Bob shook hands on the courtship like they were making a business deal or selling cattle (so offensive!).  Jeremy likes "meek Jinger" and then there is some sort of rule about family not visiting for six months?  Highly doubt Jinger made a rule of any kind...remember Michelle said that Jinger is a "good follower".  

Just raises questions, knowing what we know about this group and how Jeremy likes his woman to be meek.    

I'm HOPING that it is nothing more than Jeremy being pissed at Jessa and her bitchy decorating.  But even that...the Vuolos got paid and you know that they hammed up the drama for the camera...

My opinion is that Jeremy is equally as controlling as Jim Bob and those two are gonna battle it out for control of Jinger. How sick. ;(   Jeremy made the first move and cut the Duggars off. Jim Bob might have met his match. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The six month thing wouldn't bother me if Jinger came up with the idea or Jeremy approached her and said "hey what are you thinking in terms of ground rules for visitors?", but I don't know if Jeremy operates like that. I don't think he's holding her hostage by any means, but I do think Jinger is so eager to please her man that she wouldn't speak up even if it did upset her. Maybe Jinger really is that independent and doesn't need the circus around to feel safe like Jill does. But I am surprised that Jessa and Joe haven't visited, because those are the two family members she appears to be genuinely close with. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

Jinger said that they've Facetimed, and I bet they've been back to the TTH, but can't admit it since it's likely a plotline for next season. We already know TLC goes to Laredo to watch JinJer attempt to cook in a space better suited for one chef. 

• Love 2

I'm always amazed at how we can all watch the same show but have so many different views.  I don't get a creepy, controlling, or weird vibe from Jeremy.  At all.  If anything, I think maybe he is a bit uncomfortable on camera and so that's why he seems awkward sometimes.  Mileage varies, I guess.

• Love 13

Jessa's been in her third trimester since the wedding.  Even without a travel ban, I don't think she would have gone to Laredo being that pregnant.  I know she traveled with  Spurgeon to speak at those conferences, but that was $$$ vs sister time.

I don't particularly know any adult brothers that would visit their adult sister like that without something else in it for them.  My husband texts and calls his sister all the time, but has never once asked to visit without it being a full family reunion.  His sister has visited us twice, but that's because we live in a party city.  She wants to crash at our place and have us be DD.

I figured the six months decree was a) more of a joke, b) to keep Jim Bob far, far away, and c) to keep all the Howlers out of the apartment. I bet Jinger sleeps with one eye open in fear that the Stinkbus will be in the parking lot with everyone on board expecting free room and board.

• Love 6

If I was Jeremy and Jinger the guests I would dread the most would be JB & M and Jessa and her family. They don't tend to visit, they seem to spread out and consume. That apartment has very tiny rooms and I'm sure Queen Jessa would let Spurge roam freely and not care if he ripped up a book or emptied out a kitchen cabinet.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, saylubee said:

I don't particularly know any adult brothers that would visit their adult sister like that without something else in it for them.  My husband texts and calls his sister all the time, but has never once asked to visit without it being a full family reunion.

I have 5 brothers. We all visit each other all the time, with and without spouses. I'm single and when I had several teeth removed for dentures recently, my brother came to stay a couple of days just to help out while I recovered. Mostly he took care of my dog since I slept for practically 24 hours.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

If he were controlling and exercising his authority over Jinger, how do you think the relaxed modesty standards fit in? She has knees and shoulders! Who knew?!

Because that is what Jeremy likes.  Maybe he enjoys a little knee or shoulder!!!  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, 88Keys said:

I'm always amazed at how we can all watch the same show but have so many different views.  I don't get a creepy, controlling, or weird vibe from Jeremy.  At all.  If anything, I think maybe he is a bit uncomfortable on camera and so that's why he seems awkward sometimes.  Mileage varies, I guess.

That's the fun of posting here!!!  everyone has a different view and all of them are pretty well thought out!

I've watched some of Jeremy's sermons and truly, he seems the same as the entire cult, just speaks in a softer voice and is more modern with the clothing.  He appears more contemporary but the views are all the same. 

My first red flag for Jeremy is how initially he liked Jinger because she is "meek".  Meek is code for "you're easy to control" Women take it as a compliment meaning they know how to submit to God and their headship.  (father or husband).   Yuck. 

• Love 10
On 3/7/2017 at 9:41 PM, Marigold said:

Jeremy is so weird. 

Good point. And he didn't just marry a Duggar. He went way way way out of his way to marry a Duggar, and in a certain amount of haste, too. Both of those aspects open the door to some possibly unpleasant surprises as you find out that what seemed so very very attractive turns out not to be all that attractive when you're dealing with it long term. He is weird indeed. And kinda dim. Of course that's clearly a prerequisite for quickly marrying a Duggar. 

• Love 3