Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: A Honeymoon and a Courtship

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

(edited)

What was the deal with schoolmarmy chef eating a third of the food? You bring all the seafood, you do part of the cooking, and she eats it? 

Austin was really creepy with how God wants this courtship. Can't say no to God now can you Joy-Anna?

Sinner twin is not attractive. Saintly twin is kind of okay. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. Half a year with no visitors is a long time for a normal person, let alone one who grew up as sheltered as Jinger. I understand Jeremy is trying to establish that it's not an open door policy for thirty Duggars to show up in the Stink Bus, but we've yet to see Jinger return home for even a weekend visit and that's odd, IMO. I thought for sure Jinger would at least come see Henry, but she hasn't been spotted in Arkansas since her wedding. 

However let's remember that the two times that family has come they basically invaded and criticised. First with Jim Boob and then Jessa the Bitch. Maybe twice was enough. Also having come from a similar background I could totally get taking a clean break from these idiots. I did it so I understand.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

What was the deal with schoolmarmy chef eating a third of the food? You bring all the seafood, you do part of the cooking, and she eats it? 

That was enough food for a crowd. I wondered why they were buying so much food.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, sATL said:

I wonder if Jana doesn't  want to be a wife and/or mother or she's overly picky - looking for man that meets her "dreams and prayers", as opposed to meeting  a man and seeing him for what he is. I liked the rumor of Tim Tebow showing interest, but the man works on Sundays and travels. That is a no-no in their spouses. So, she probably gave him the axe for that simple reason.

Jana never had a chance to give Tim Tebow the axe, or anything else. They never met.

I remember that rumor. @Sew Sumi and others dug up the truth. It went something like this. Tim's mother Pam appeared at some fundie oriented fundraiser, and JB and MEchelle met her. MEchelle was all burbly about it on their blog.

Then rumors popped up about Tim being a match for Jana. My theory is the rumors came from the Duggars - JB and/or Amy are my top suspects. The Duggs were riding pretty high back then and we all know that JB's ego pretty much has no limits.

Not only were the Tebows not receptive to such an idea, Tim had his representative issue a very firm statement denying that they were dating, and stating that the two had never met. My takeaway was that Tebow wouldn't touch the Duggars with the proverbial ten foot pole - and this was before Joshgate. 

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Jana never had a chance to give Tim Tebow the axe, or anything else. They never met.

I remember that rumor. @Sew Sumi and others dug up the truth. It went something like this. Tim's mother Pam appeared at some fundie oriented fundraiser, and JB and MEchelle met her. MEchelle was all burbly about it on their blog.

Then rumors popped up about Tim being a match for Jana. My theory is the rumors came from the Duggars - JB and/or Amy are my top suspects. The Duggs were riding pretty high back then and we all know that JB's ego pretty much has no limits.

Not only were the Tebows not receptive to such an idea, Tim had his representative issue a very firm statement denying that they were dating, and stating that the two had never met. My takeaway was that Tebow wouldn't touch the Duggars with the proverbial ten foot pole - and this was before Joshgate. 

ok. thanks for the update. I just figured Tim didn't past the Duggar "test" - which we know now is at least document that Ben/Derrick/Jeremy had to complete.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, rubinia said:

Because "the Lort" (LOL) doesn't have anything better to do than worry if you're holding hands with your boyfriend. Eye. Roll.

I suppose that's a sign of how very very very very very small their world is. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Summer said:

I'm curious,do you think the girls would ever be allowed to end a courtship?  I know one of the boys had a brief courtship but then ended it, wonder if same goes for the girls?  Joy I'm looking at you.....

I would wager that Marjorie Jackson -- admittedly not a Duggar but a Duggar courtee-- ended the Josiah/Marjorie courtship. First, because that does seem to be the story that's told, to the extent that a story is told, and, second, because I'm pretty sure she and her family would have been the ones horrified as the two kids and their families got more closely involved. 

Honestly, I think the story with the Duggar kids isn't really -- Can only guys end courtships? --- but: Can any Duggarling, male or female, end a courtship if Jim Bob doesn't want them to? Or, contrariwise, can any Duggarling continue in a courtship if Jim Bob doesn't want them to? ..... My guess on both is: No, they can't, at least not without triggering very bad and possibly long-lasting consequences perpetrated by said Jim Bob. 

• Love 9
22 hours ago, cereality said:

But we already saw a scene of them grocery shopping where he explained you buy a block of cheese and grate it, as she stood there going, what, really?? 

My lord, what did she think you did with cheese? And did she think it comes out of the cow in slices? ..... Wow. That seems even dumber than I would have expected. 

If she's even close to that dense, he's definitely going to get sick of it eventually. I'm sure his role as big-man-and-professor-Higgins in this relationship suits his ego to a tee at the moment. But how many times do the things that initially attract us to a relationship turn out to be the things that make us want to rip our eyeballs out down the line? Lots and lots of times, as far as I know. 

• Love 7
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

My lord, what did she think you did with cheese? And did she think it comes out of the cow in slices ? .....

Or shredded. The kind that comes in a bag that is sometimes 2/$5

58b6dfa2bd2bc_laughingwithtears.jpg.37d2ac4474e542ca12ac251da56e53c3.jpg

Edited by sATL
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, sATL said:

ok. thanks for the update. I just figured Tim didn't past the Duggar "test" - which we know now is at least document that Ben/Derrick/Jeremy had to complete.

Taking this over to the "Lonely J's" discussion.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, sATL said:

TLC gave JB a little more air-time and a TH last night... I wonder if that is a trend. I had gotten used to him staying in the background and saying very, very little.

I agree with an earlier post about how Austin described what he liked about Joy to JB. He was describing a hiring farm hand - "hard worker" , "diligent worker", "gets the younger ones working", "good delegator". What did he do - fill out an employee (or wife) evaluation form ?

I would put my foot up a young man's behind if he said something like that about my girlie. And  I could take his comments another way - like does he plan on NOT working, since you are watching a young lady's work habits ?

It's a throwback to mail-order brides. "I'm homesteading in Nebraska, and I need a good hard worker with good childbearing hips to expand my farm."

• Love 13
47 minutes ago, LilJen said:

It's a throwback to mail-order brides. "I'm homesteading in Nebraska, and I need a good hard worker with good childbearing hips to expand my farm."

I think Austin was saying those things to appeal to JB.  He couldn't say, "I love the way she smiles.  She's sweet.  She's pretty."  All the stuff that truly moves his heart for Joy.  He knows JB is auctioning off his daughters, so he said what he thought JB would want to hear.  That's what I think.  IMO, I don't think any 22-year old infatuated with a 19-year would make the weird comments Austin made, even if he is a Fundie.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I think Austin was saying those things to appeal to JB.  He couldn't say, "I love the way she smiles.  She's sweet.  She's pretty."  All the stuff that truly moves his heart for Joy.  

But DOES she move his heart? We'll never really know. I'd be more curious to know if HE moves HER heart. My answer is no but what other choice/option does she have? None, right? Unless she wants to follow in Jana's footsteps but it's too late for that.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

But DOES she move his heart? We'll never really know. I'd be more curious to know if HE moves HER heart. My answer is no but what other choice/option does she have? None, right? Unless she wants to follow in Jana's footsteps but it's too late for that.

You're right about Joy not having any other choice if she's looking for love.  With the Duggars once you (at least for the daughters) commit to a courtship, you may as well skip the engagement and get married.  You know, this is so sad on so many levels.  JB & M tell us that the courtship is a "getting to know you phase", to see if you have anything in common.  But they don't let the couples have any alone time to actually find out if they're compatible.  Out of the four married daughters, none of them have ever shown one inkling that would imply that the first guy is not the right guy.  It's almost like he instills in these girls that to NOT accept the first guy defiles them in some way for someone else.  

I will always believe Ben has deep regrets about marrying and starting a family so early in his life.  I can see it in his face. 

• Love 6

Well if Bin has regrets he has his horny self and his own parents to thank for those. What parents in 2013 would be ok with their jobless, degree-less son marrying? They couldn't stop him from seeking her out, but once he came home with the Duggar ground rules that this better result in marriage in 6 months plus a 50 pg application, most parents would put their foot down and try to get the son to see the light that this girl may be great but this family isn't for him. They'd tell their son he has a lot to offer and lots to accomplish still and if this is the one, she and her fam will bend the rules and wait another yr or 3. Instead creepy Pa Seewald let Bin move into the shed with no bathroom facilities or HVAC and let him clean JB's toilets to get the girl, all while lamenting that society just doesn't get it anymore and people wait until their [gasp] 30s to marry which is unholy.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, sATL said:

Or shredded. The kind that comes in a bag that is sometimes 2/$5

58b6dfa2bd2bc_laughingwithtears.jpg.37d2ac4474e542ca12ac251da56e53c3.jpg

Or worse yet, the Kraft stuff in a can that was proven to have plastic shavings in it. Girlfriend probably never used a box grater before becoming Mrs. Vuolo.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, cereality said:

Well if Bin has regrets he has his horny self and his own parents to thank for those. What parents in 2013 would be ok with their jobless, degree-less son marrying? They couldn't stop him from seeking her out, but once he came home with the Duggar ground rules that this better result in marriage in 6 months plus a 50 pg application, most parents would put their foot down and try to get the son to see the light that this girl may be great but this family isn't for him. They'd tell their son he has a lot to offer and lots to accomplish still and if this is the one, she and her fam will bend the rules and wait another yr or 3. Instead creepy Pa Seewald let Bin move into the shed with no bathroom facilities or HVAC and let him clean JB's toilets to get the girl, all while lamenting that society just doesn't get it anymore and people wait until their [gasp] 30s to marry which is unholy.

Of course you're right.  I posted your words almost verbatim the other week that I blamed Ben's parents.  He was reacting to hormones and his parents should have known that.  He was 19 for crying out loud!  Now here he is, what, 21?  Two kids and a Stepford wife.  No job to speak of, no marketable skills to speak of. What is he going to do for the next 40 years?  Just make babies and count on TLC to pay the bills?

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, cereality said:

I thought the shed had a bathroom ? that nasty hole that JB showed him that he had to clean. Which Ben did. spotless.

I found the quote from a TH of JB: "If you want to marry a Duggar girl, you can't be afraid to get your hands dirty," says Jim Bob" (link)

One day Ben is going to run into his old buddies from high school, the windsheild job, and/or his 1st community college. Let's, just hope he doesn't get an "itch".

Edited by sATL
stated wrong job

When did Ben do HVAC work? I think you're mixing him up with Alyssa Bates' husband, John Webster, whose family has an HVAC business. 

Ben installed windshields with his dad and worked as a go-fer at an insurance agency back home before he moved into the Duggar warehouse and cleaned toilets for KJB. 

• Love 2
(edited)
45 minutes ago, sATL said:

I thought the shed had a bathroom ? that nasty hole that JB showed him that he had to clean. Which Ben did. spotless.

I found the quote from a TH of JB: "If you want to marry a Duggar girl, you can't be afraid to get your hands dirty," says Jim Bob" (link)

One day Ben is going to run into his old buddies from high school, the windsheild job, and/or his 1st community college. Let's, just hope he doesn't get an "itch".

and speaking nasty bathrooms - this goes back to my earlier point about the duggars being house guests. Yes, I understand the bathroom Ben was shown to clean was in a work area and ones hands/feet are dirty with stuff like motor oil and yard clippings. But I'm just wondering how much does each child clean-up behind themselves ? If you make a mess in the toilet, get the brush and the cleaner and scrub it up. And if you see a mess, clean it up - don't let messes linger. tell J&M (which might be a waste of time) and don't wait until "so-so" turn to  clean up.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Mya said:

I am reading allot about this 50  page application the men have to fill out for JB.  Does it really exist?  This is new to me.

It was discussed in an episode last fall. And made the press: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3873446/Jim-Bob-Duggar-uses-50-page-questionnaire-vet-daughters-suitors-process-Jessa-calls-pretty-thorough.html

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2016/10/jim-bob-duggar-and-the-50-page-courtship-questionnaire/

8 minutes ago, Mya said:

I am reading allot about this 50  page application the men have to fill out for JB.  Does it really exist?  This is new to me.

Jeremy really sucked up. He claims he sent back 100 pages. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jeremy really sucked up. He claims he sent back 100 pages. 

Thanks, Wow I completely miss this.  So it actually exists so very odd.

1 minute ago, Evagirl said:

Jeremy was in love.  You find yourself doing a lot of things for love.

Most of us would show those expressions of love to our girl/boyfriend not their father - but hey whatever works. I bet JB did NOT want it known that there was an application for fear of scaring off the already scarce suitors, but Derick got a little salty on one of the tell all specials and blabbed and then the interviewer started asking what was on the application etc.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I will always believe Ben has deep regrets about marrying and starting a family so early in his life.  I can see it in his face.

AMEN, EvaGirl!  I was just thinking about that the other day.  I think Ben was just a horny teenager who had the hots for a pretty girl and if they dated for a year or two (Normal dating, not Dugger dating) I bet he would have broken up with her and moved on.   Now he's, what,  21 years old, with a wife and 2 small children, and I'm sure if Jessa has her way more kids coming....I feel bad for Ben, he looks so defeated now in all the pictures.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree about Bin. I think he loves the boys and is mildly happy with Jessa, but if he had to do it all over again he would've chosen Jinger as a courting partner. He seems to enjoy the Vuolos' company more than he does his wife's. I think he's fully aware he married too young and that knowledge is going to start aging him rapidly within the next few years. Especially since Jessa is on the "pop a kid out every fifteen months" baby train.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
(edited)
7 hours ago, LilJen said:

Omgosh that's SO true..plus if they were religious (especially when reading a Christian type book) they'd throw in "Must have a personal relationship with the Lord."

Besides trashy reality shows, my other guilty pleasure is mail order bride books. That's exactly how Austin would have advertised for a bride in the olden days.

PS I'm not a complete dolt, my reading list is very eclectic. Sometimes I just need to read a book that's sure to have a happy ending.

Edited by ChiCricket
Because I wanted to ;-)
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Annb67 said:

However let's remember that the two times that family has come they basically invaded and criticised. First with Jim Boob and then Jessa the Bitch. Maybe twice was enough. Also having come from a similar background I could totally get taking a clean break from these idiots. I did it so I understand.

I agree. The six month rule didn't strike me as odd, and I actually thought it could have been Jinger's idea. For me that was a "right on!" moment.

• Love 10

that no visitor rule pings my "control-dar" 

Jeremy might turn out to be the biggest freak of them all (not counting Josh). 

Maybe Jessa really pissed off Jeremy with her bitchy decorating?   I imagine Jeremy to be unstable and fly off the handle at things. Seems like a rigid perfectionist to me.  Someone who can hold a grudge.  Anyone who speaks in that smiley fake soft voice is a volcano underneath.  

Jessa was a bitch but you did get paid for the episode. TLC paid you so move your books out of the closet. Jessa is your wife's best friend and sister.  Might want to read a few Bible verses and work things out for the sake of Jinger.   

I never trusted that Jeremy and "no visitors" seems very isolating to me. Isolation is one of the first keys to control, isn't it?  Jinger is moving from one controlling man to another.   

• Love 8
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

You might be on to something. When children go to boarding school, they're usually not allowed to contact their parents for the first few weeks, so they can adjust to the separation. I'd imagine Jeremy is using the same philosophy on Jinger. Maybe he figures what works for one sixth grader will work for another.

I laughed so hard I startled my coworker!

• Love 6
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, BitterApple said:

I also thought Jinger looked really cute throughout the honeymoon, especially in that shirt dress with the leggings. She looks like she's picked up a couple healthy pounds and it's doing wonders for her figure.

I thought it was because she is wearing clothes that fit. And newer styled clothes, that are cut/made better.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Micks Picks said:

Well I am old and I am living in the West and never heard the words poot or fluff used as fart before today.  Most of my cousins were in the South and I don't recall ever hearing them used.

I think the Duggar boys are more restricted and oblivious than the girls.  They seem to get less in the way of social opportunities and are more under the thumb of JB.  Their Talking Heads reflect this.  There is just no social interaction at all, no worldly leafing through a National Geographic they may spot someplace in town, or browsing on a computer, nothing.  They just get chores, fixing things, ways to make money without having a job, and Jeebus talk all day long.  The girls seem to be out and about more.  I really feel terrible for the boys, and this is a rather new reaction as I used to think they should have had enough interaction with the camera crew or trips they took to take them out of their stilted environment.  Now I think the influence was too strong and too long lasting.   

I don't recall this word growing up and I am also from the West.  BUT, I heard it somewhere and have been using it when my kitten passes gas.  Fart just seems so harsh when referring to my cute little baby!  

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, sATL said:

I thought it was because she is wearing clothes that fit. And newer styled clothes, that are cut/made better.

I agree.  I thought she still looked very thin but her clothes were a lot more flattering than those long jean skirts they normally all wear.  I love that she's comfortable wearing sleeveless dresses (and they're shorter too), and leggings with big shirts.  She's just in her early 20's.  JB makes his stay-at-home young women dress EXACTLY like Michelle, which is ridiculous!  It's a shame they have to marry in order to dress more age-appropriate.

The girl just looks and acts happy and I'm happy for her.  I personally like Jeremy.  I think he adores Jinger and will continue to adore her.  If he doesn't, it will surprise me.  They are so comfortable around each other.  When Ben & Jessa have their one-on-one with the camera you'd never know they were in love with one another.  She looks at him adoringly and he USED to look at her the same way, but he doesn't any more.  He's just trying to get through life, poor kid.

Don't even get me started on Derick and Jill - what a train wreck!!  Jill is almost as crazy as her mom.  Her eyes look glassy and Derick looks homeless - what is going on with these two?!!!  And neither one looks happy.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I don't recall this word growing up and I am also from the West.  BUT, I heard it somewhere and have been using it when my kitten passes gas.  Fart just seems so harsh when referring to my cute little baby!  

My cats are adorable, but when they fart, they can clear a room. 

My sister made her kids call them "toots" or "rude noises".

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

My cats are adorable, but when they fart, they can clear a room. 

My sister made her kids call them "toots" or "rude noises".

Yeah, little Pippi can be quite smelly!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

that no visitor rule pings my "control-dar" 

Jeremy might turn out to be the biggest freak of them all (not counting Josh). 

Maybe Jessa really pissed off Jeremy with her bitchy decorating?   I imagine Jeremy to be unstable and fly off the handle at things. Seems like a rigid perfectionist to me.  Someone who can hold a grudge.  Anyone who speaks in that smiley fake soft voice is a volcano underneath.  

Jessa was a bitch but you did get paid for the episode. TLC paid you so move your books out of the closet. Jessa is your wife's best friend and sister.  Might want to read a few Bible verses and work things out for the sake of Jinger.   

I never trusted that Jeremy and "no visitors" seems very isolating to me. Isolation is one of the first keys to control, isn't it?  Jinger is moving from one controlling man to another.   

Do we know for sure it was JEREMY who insisted on the 6 month rule? I thought Benessa said "they," but I've already deleted it from the DVR, so I'm not going back to look. Maybe JINGER said it! And if she did, good for her! 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Do we know for sure it was JEREMY who insisted on the 6 month rule? I thought Benessa said "they," but I've already deleted it from the DVR, so I'm not going back to look. Maybe JINGER said it! And if she did, good for her! 

I don't think we know whose idea it is. I thought Jinger said, "no visitors for six months, well three months". Either way I doubt they'll go even 3 months without seeing the Duggars, whether it be in Arkansas or Texas.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

correct. I still have it on dvr. 3 min into the eposide

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

And didn't Jinger also reference this during their girl time?

which girl time - on Monday's episode ? I'm scrolling though. I deleted the wedding eposide

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, sATL said:

which girl time - on Monday's episode ? I'm scrolling though. I deleted the wedding eposide

Monday's episode. They were sitting around in a circle in someone's home.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Yeah, little Pippi can be quite smelly!

Did you name her after Pippi Longstocking?  Another delightful book Duggars would have not allowed. Independent daughter of a sea captain, dragging Tommy and Annika into all of her mischief.

• Love 5
On 2/27/2017 at 3:58 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

By whose standards are the deemed "mature"? In Jim Boob's mind: she menstruates and she's over 18. Good enough. Next!

"We also need another season of the show. Joy, pack your things. You're getting married."

• Love 7
(edited)

I imagine Joy's wedding will be the season finale. They'll have plenty of time to show wedding planning next season. I imagine the proposal will come early on. What else do we have? One episode leaving for/in Danger America (or clips of said episode...I don't think they can carry a whole episode), Jessa's birth episode, and Joy's courtship/engagement. The Howlers aren't doing shit we haven't seen before, and Jana became a non-entity this past season. I think she had even less screen time than her despiscable parents; we barely saw her unless it was in a TH segment. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I imagine Joy's wedding will be the season finale. They'll have plenty of time to show wedding planning next season. I imagine the proposal will come early on. What else do we have? One episode leaving for/in Danger America (or clips of said episode...I don't think they can carry a whole episode), Jessa's birth episode, and Joy's courtship/engagement. The Howlers aren't doing shit we haven't seen before, and Jana became a non-entity this past season. I think she had even less screen time than her despiscable parents; we barely saw her unless it was in a TH segment. 

When does the next season start? If Jessa breastfeeds for only a month or two she can get busy and then be able to announce her next pregnancy.

• Love 2
(edited)

All it said was "this summer." I imagine they'll be lined up for July Sweeps, so if Joy really is getting married at the end of April, plenty of time to show her "romance" and air her wedding sometime in August. And get another Jessa announcement the week before they show Joy's wedding. If she's even four weeks along with an August announcement, that puts Henry and the new one 14 months apart. It wouldn't surprise me. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4