Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/27/2017

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday: David Hyde Pierce (ABC's "When We Rise");"View Your Deal" After Oscars Special Edition

Tuesday: The Political View with CNN political commentator Tara Setmayer

Wednesday: Aubrey Plaza ("Legion")

Thursday: Patrick Stewart ("Logan")

Friday: Jennifer Lopez ("Shades of Blue"); Jennifer Beals ("Taken"; "Before I Fall")

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2

I don't like GDF - they take over the show and spoil HT's. Plus, I'm not fond of any of them.

It's like the prior guest co-hosts for years, it's all about them for the first or two of the 20 segments allowing for the commercials. Bring them on as guests.

• Love 1

Whoopi is going to have a Cow, two kittens and three goats tomorrow.  I've read media reports that Viola Davis' Oscar win is the first AA female to win an Oscar, Emmy and Tony.  OMG!  Wonder if they just mean have the category exclusive of the Grammy?  

Edited by hisbunkie
Clrification- it's late!
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, hisbunkie said:

Whoopi is going to have a Cow, two kittens and three goats tomorrow.  I've read media reports that Viola Davis' Oscar win is the first AA female to win an Oscar, Emmy and Tony.  OMG!  Wonder if they just mean have the category exclusive of the Grammy?  

It was mentioned in another thread here and this WaPo article that Viola is the first to win all three of hers for acting. Whoopi won her Tony for producing the Broadway musical Thoroughly Modern Millie.

• Love 7

I wish Whoopi would get her facts straight before she loudly expounds on a subject like she is the ultimate authority. The story about the Oscar flub is that each Price Waterhouse representative has a winner's envelope for each category, and they are positioned on each side of the stage, so there are two envelopes for each category.  That means one of the representatives must have given the Best Actress duplicate envelope by mistake to Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Whoopi thinks she knows it all about everything.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 17
40 minutes ago, Kenz said:

I wish Whoopi would get her facts straight before she loudly expounds on a subject like she is the ultimate authority. The story about the Oscar flub is that each Price Waterhouse representative has a winner's envelope for each category, and they are positioned on each side of the stage, so there are two envelopes for each category.  That means one of the representatives must have given the Best Actress duplicate envelope by mistake to Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Whoopi thinks she knows it all about everything.

That's what I read, too, last night.  that presenters on each side of the stage have a complete set.  WHoopi said several times "there's only one envelope."  SHe was speaking with such authority, because SHE knows - and she was wrong.

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, backformore said:

That's what I read, too, last night.  that presenters on each side of the stage have a complete set.  WHoopi said several times "there's only one envelope."  SHe was speaking with such authority, because SHE knows - and she was wrong.

If that's the case, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

2 hours ago, Kenz said:

Yes, she didn't even watch the Oscars, presumably, nor read the news last night or this morning.  It was stated early on that there were two cards, probably because Emma Stone told the press she had her card.  I get Whoopi hosted before, but that doesn't mean she knows it all!  Also, she went down this road of saying the presenters/winners were not political last night, and Joy said there were some, here and there.  Whoopi conceded there was one the, absent winner who had a statement read.  But there were quite  a few more than that and clips from those were aired on CNN, etc.  She didn't watch, so why does she feel she has to be the expert again!

She is also getting on my last nerve by just going to her talking points about the constitution.  The others try to discuss a topic and she goes into bloviation, repeating herself.  I am glad that she is challenging the administration, but if she cannot say more than "it's in the constitution" she just looks stupid and limited.

15 hours ago, Jaded said:

It was mentioned in another thread here and this WaPo article that Viola is the first to win all three of hers for acting. Whoopi won her Tony for producing the Broadway musical Thoroughly Modern Millie.

Thank you for clarifying this, @Jaded.  I thought we would see a meltdown from Whoopi too.  But if Viola won in all acting roles, that is significant.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, bannana said:

I get Whoopi hosted before, but that doesn't mean she knows it all!

She probably concerned herself with everything she had to learn, read, and wear (and she DID have some fabulous costume changes).  She probably has no idea how anything works.  Also, it was 21 years ago (1996).  Surely procedures change a bit.

• Love 7

Off topic: cannot stand viola davis because she seens like a diva. She was very dry and short with her answers when I  saw her on The View a couple of years ago. Fast forward to this year...she won a supporting actress oscar for a role in which she had previously won a BEST ACTRESS Tony (not supporting). Did she conveniently place herself in the supporting actress category this year so that she could have a better chance at winning and thus earn a trifecta? If so, I will unabashadly continue to dislike her.

• Love 1

Sometimes our greatest actors/actresses are not the most appealing people in life, in interviews, etc.  I'll continue to admire Viola Davis's work.   I guess I feel the same about Whoopi Goldberg.  I've enjoyed all her performances in movies and on TV until...UNTIL she got her job on "The View."  Now that I've seen (mostly) the real person, don't like it much.

• Love 13

I was pretty surprised they didn't chat more about the Oscars today, and I don't mean best dressed etc, but who won, etc. A lecture on one card from Producer of the Oscars WG was boring. Let alone not mentioning VD - whether one cares for her non-actress personality or not. Or the first Muslim......etc. 

• Love 5

My little story about why I love Viola.. I am a sarcastic rather dark hearted person. You don't say! Says some of you. Well yeah. She blew my mind in The Help. I avoided crying that whole movie.. Then the end came.. When Viola and Octavia walked into their church and everyone started applauding, and Viola (Aibileen) just starts clapping along with this confused look on her face.. Then Mini tells her it's for her.. My cold dark heart broke. One of my favorite scenes in film ever. 

• Love 15

I recently watched Whoopi on Graham  Norton and enjoyed her.  ( Graham I think is one of if not the best talk show host )  Of course there were references to boobs hanging to the floor and lost pubic hair but she was enjoyable gray scarf and all.   Have nothing to say about today's show except Joy  seemed quiet last segment. 

5 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Off topic: cannot stand viola davis because she seens like a diva. She was very dry and short with her answers when I  saw her on The View a couple of years ago. Fast forward to this year...she won a supporting actress oscar for a role in which she had previously won a BEST ACTRESS Tony (not supporting). Did she conveniently place herself in the supporting actress category this year so that she could have a better chance at winning and thus earn a trifecta? If so, I will unabashadly continue to dislike her.

I am not sure but I don't think you can nominate yourself in  a supporting actress category!   She should have been put in the lead actress category - jmho.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Sometimes our greatest actors/actresses are not the most appealing people in life, in interviews, etc.  I'll continue to admire Viola Davis's work.   I guess I feel the same about Whoopi Goldberg.  I've enjoyed all her performances in movies and on TV until...UNTIL she got her job on "The View."  Now that I've seen (mostly) the real person, don't like it much.

We in Rhode Island see the real, non-film personality of Viola Davis, and she's more of a star in that regard.  She never misses an opportunity to return to her roots to mentor and celebrate the achievements of her hometown, and she is beloved here for that reason.  Her contributions to the area are many, both professionally and financially.  There's always much pride and excitement here to see her abilities recognized and it's heartwarming when others across the country, such as Former Nun, admire her as we do.  On Oscar night, local Providence/Central Falls screening parties were sold out because everyone wanted to be on hand to see her win her Oscar.   Once again she didn't disappoint!

We're so lucky also to be able to claim Meredith Vieira as one of our own.  Rhode Island may be small, but we sure can turn out the talent!

• Love 20
13 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Did she conveniently place herself in the supporting actress category this year so that she could have a better chance at winning and thus earn a trifecta?

Actors don't make this decision, studios do.  And I agree, she should've been in the leading category.

• Love 7

My dislike for Whoopi is getting to the point where I'm thinking of calling it a day and moving on.  I've gone years not watching The View because it was too aggravating to do so.  

I'm repeating myself, Whoopi brings discussion to a holt and the rest of the panel seems to be too polite to challenge her.  I must admit I didn't watch during the Rosie O'Donnel era but from what I read here she did so rather aggressively and apparently had enough money she was able to walk away from the mess.  

i like the present panel. It has it's own voices unlike any previous and I like that.  The women are generally smart and well informed.  Whoopi is not. A word about Sarah...I like her, I like her a lot- I think she does a good job of explaining her position, of being vulnerable, of being "the presenter" ( the hostess in cooking segments, product. Segments) I personally don't find her an air head at all.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Graham I think is one of if not the best talk show host

Huzzah!!!   I didn't see that episode, but when I do see Whoopi in an interview I'm speptipal (that's how one of my boys said it...using the word at four or five).  She appears to take on a "humble" persona...even in her posture.  Aw, shucks, I ain't that grand, but I'm SO grateful.

Edited by Former Nun
changed "show" to "episode," but I'm still not happy.
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Tunia said:

Rhode Island may be small, but we sure can turn out the talent!

...and Rhode Island School of Design does a good job too!  My son worked with Seth MacFarlane at Cartoon Network in the 90s.  I hadn't known of the school until then and now I hear of the graduates all the time.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Blissfool said:

She was very dry and short with her answers when I  saw her on The View a couple of years ago.

That happens sometimes.  It's not necessarily the fault of the guest.  There are times I've advised them from my recliner, "Get outta there while the gittin's good!"

• Love 5

Listened to Jedi-Fox's heart-felt explanation about Americans not liking Obamacare, because  it's run by the federal government & those people don't think the federal government should be in the health-care business........can't wait to hear her defend Paul Ryan's plan to take Medicare away from millions of the country's retirees , or as Ryan calls us "takers," who paid into that federal health insurance program, every year we worked;  privatize it & allow privately health insurers to charge sky-high premiums, so Ryan's highly- touted tiny vouchers wouldn't help retirees,  living on fixed incomes (like myself) who understand health insurance should not be considered a luxury item.  Please somebody, explain to this "kid," who doesn't realize  Medicare's now being deducted from her "View," paychecks....... If it ain't Broke......Don't fix It! 

Edited by honeydo7
spacing errors
  • Love 13

Not exactly on topic, but in an interiview after the Oscars (Viola Davis and her husband), the host mentioned her wonderful acceptance speech.  Ms. Davis's husband responded that she is an excellent extemporaneous speaker.  So if she didn't do her best on "The View," ....

• Love 2

A lot of people's interviews get ruined on this show because of those stupid games or a host/hosts not being able to stfu to let whoever is there speak. Then there are times where guests are given that opportunity and spout shit like the Brietbart guy last week.

• Love 5

Formernun recently there was a mention of Sir Patrick Stewart with Hugh Jaskson being hysterical on the show and it won't air till the 11th so I googled it and it's on you tube so is Whoopi's appearance. ( take a look see at the one I mentioned too.... Very funny) 

I have to admit that I like Sarah too  she's seems like a nice person and I find her honesty about her upfront neediness and slightly neurotic self charming.  I can't do anything but admit that now I'm old being nice is first for me  it's simpleminded I know , but I'm ok with it.  Wow I'm just watching now and Joy is saying something similar, that George Brush had a good heart  

• Love 6
15 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

A word about Sarah...I like her, I like her a lot- I think she does a good job of explaining her position, of being vulnerable, of being "the presenter" ( the hostess in cooking segments, product. Segments) I personally don't find her an air head at all.

1000% agree. And I feel that she is getting more comfortable in her role as time goes by.

• Love 10

I'm starting to warm up to Sarah as well. When I saw her do that Super Bowl segment, she was so excited and goofy...like a big kid and when she did that silly little dance, I cracked up. Jed, on the other hand, is becoming more and more annoying. Where Sarah has a sweetness, Jed strikes me as hard as nails. Brittle.

Any posters who are fed up with Whoopi? Well, this is her last season, isn't it? So just hang in there.

• Love 8

I usually like Sarah too although there have been times that she's annoyed me.  I really think she needs to rein in the comments about her personal life though. Her husband surely thinks she's sharing TMI regarding their relationship.  At times I feel embarrassed for both of them. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Love2dance said:

1000% agree. And I feel that she is getting more comfortable in her role as time goes by.

...and it's just so nice to see that sweet face and sincere smile on this show.

• Love 4
(edited)

Ok, I don't want to seem like a curmudgeon, buttttttttt, although Sara seems like a nice person, I have a problem with grown women (or men) over 25 years old, (who are not comediennes or actresses playing a part), acting like children--even when goofing off. 

I guess it's a TV thing--to be OVER-THE-TOP, gesturing wildly, giddily yelling, or, IMHO, laughing hysterically--at stuff that is not all that funny or exciting.  I can see getting excited at sports events, and I have done my fair share of yelling at/for  players live and on TV, as well as talking back to pundits/anyone on TV, but I don't know anyone who emotes like folks on The Price is Right in real everyday life.  My midwestern upbringing, maybe?

Back to my point, I feel the above actionsI make Sara look childish, and yes, even less intelligent, and I am not inclined to take her opinions on political/social issues seriously.  I think posters here have written about how surprised they are when Sara makes a cogent point, aside from watching her tennis match eyes go back and forth like a kid at the table when Mom and Dad are arguing.

Or, maybe the material that Sara has to work with is so poor--hawking products and being the "silly" one, that utilizing physical emotion is the best she can do to save the bit.  I FF through those parts anyway.   Actually, lately--since November 9, I have not been watching much because all the hosts moments of intelligent, informed, factual information has been sorely lacking.  It's very negative too, with Whoops' bullying and Jedi's loud mouth running roughshod over the others.  I do need Joy an the Sunny to step it up more also.

I guess I  have higher expectations for women in general and on this show. 

Edited by Tosia
Kind of afraid of back lash.
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

Ok, I don't want to seem like a curmudgeon, buttttttttt, although Sara seems like a nice person, I have a problem with grown women (or men) over 25 years old, (who are not comediennes or actresses playing a part), acting like children--even when goofing off. 

I spoke at a community meeting a few months ago, thinking I was presenting my block club's view clearly and cogently, and I overheard one of the preservationists in attendance lean over and tell my neighbor, "She's adorable!" I am 59. And I wasn't going for "adorable." So sometimes... it just happens. On topic: No one bugs me but Jed. I could deal with an opposing viewpoint, but not the way she delivers it. I am especially fond of Joy, so the fact that she goes BSC and drowns out Joy when she tries to speak makes my skin crawl.

• Love 10

Trump exploited the Navy Seal's widow in his speech last night and I'm grateful to Sunny for making that point. See here: 

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/how-can-you-exploit-his-widow-the-views-sunny-hostin-boils-with-rage-over-trumps-owens-tribute/

IMO he's partly responsible for Owen's death as Sunny noted. He went for the quick win. And then no empathy, no shame when things went wrong. I fail to see the "broad shoulders, big heart" Pence kept referring to throughout the morning shows.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

On a totally superficial note, I love the shoes Jedi wears day after day after day after day ....  LOL!!!  (I was always a strappy shoe fan!!)

This reminds me of the eight years I worked for a despicable and unattractive man.  I NEEDED the job; HR was trying to move me but department were afraid to "rile him."  I would sit in staff meetings trying to find SOMETHING good about him...anything.  He was sixty and had beautiful hands...and a beautiful wedding ring.  When people asked me if there was "anything" good about him, I had something to say...so I understand about the zapatas.

• Love 7

The only one that understood the X texting was Sarah. When a kid has been asked to do something/ go someplace like in the case discussed  kid asked, dad said ok then kid put the X at end of responce so Dad then calls him and said you are needed to at  home right now.  Whoopi hammering that you train your kid to do what ever it takes to get out of a situation misses the point. They discuss this crap in morning meeting pay attention. 

As someone who is out of the Disney movie target audience  I thought Whoopi really meant  the movie was about hair. Geez .  I'm going to watch her on Seth Myers so maybe she will fall back into my good graces again. 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

This reminds me of the eight years I worked for a despicable and unattractive man.  I NEEDED the job; HR was trying to move me but department were afraid to "rile him."  I would sit in staff meetings trying to find SOMETHING good about him...anything.  He was sixty and had beautiful hands...and a beautiful wedding ring.  When people asked me if there was "anything" good about him, I had something to say...so I understand about the zapatas.

Actually, I wasn't trying to be nice (I had to Google zapatas) ... just letting my fashionista friends know I notice stuff (sometimes).  LOL.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

The only one that understood the X texting was Sarah. When a kid has been asked to do something/ go someplace like in the case discussed  kid asked, dad said ok then kid put the X at end of responce so Dad then calls him and said you are needed to at  home right now.  Whoopi hammering that you train your kid to do what ever it takes to get out of a situation misses the point. They discuss this crap in morning meeting pay attention. 

Yeah, the point was about the secret communication signal between the father and son.  Not so much about how as a parent you should be teaching your kid to not let themselves get dragged into risky or uncomfortable situations.  That's like one of the most fundamental aspects of raising a child in my opinion, but Whoopi made it sound like it's some kind of revolutionary parental insight or something. 

Maybe tomorrow she will remind us all to be sure and teach our kids to not jam forks into outlets or eat yellow snow. 

• Love 11

My "kids" are 48 and 50.  Boys.   I always told them they could call me anytime from anywhere...for any reason--I would wake up immediately and I would not be upset.  I also told them that if they were in an uncomfortable situation to blame ME if needed.   "My mom would kill me."  "My mom always finds out."   Their dad wasn't in the picture much from the time they were 9 and 11.  I also added, "NEVER call me from jail.  I've done more than my part, so that's something your father can handle."   Their dad died last year.  My younger son just drove to Mexico on Monday.  I said, "Who do you contact if you're in a Mexican jail?"   He had the answer immediately but not confidently, "Dad?"   YEA!!!    (They never got in trouble...whew! Or maybe never got caught!)

• Love 14