Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/27/2017

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On Friday, March 03, 2017 at 0:09 PM, backformore said:

I don't say I'm an atheist.  I say I'm a Secular Humanist.  It's the non-religion religion.   

Take all the good stuff about how you should be honest, kind, generous, etc, from religion, and leave out the dogma about purgatory, sin, immaculate conception, and whether the bible stories are literally true or metaphors.  You're left with secular humanism - be nice to people.  Not because god says you have to, not because you want to avoid the fires of hell, but just because that's what's right.  what do secular humanists believe? they believe that it is important to treat people with kindness, to treat animals with kindness, to respect the planet we all live on.    don't kill, don't cheat, don't steal - because those things are WRONG.  

That sounds like a religion/ non religion that I believe in too.

I was raised Catholic and am a godmother to a nephew,  and have godparents for my son although I believed then as Sunny stated, that it's for propagating the child's religious  (Catholic foremost) education and practice.  

I go to Unity Church, which is the above in practice ,  plus heavy into meditation and reintetpreting the Bible metaphysically.  Love thy neighbor as thy self is the main tenet. . I took a break for 10 years from any organized religion, but like this church and the minister so I started attending regularly this past January.  

• Love 4
On 3/3/2017 at 2:33 PM, ari333 said:

I'm so weird and private, I always marveled at folks who (I presume) had used their real names on twitter (and Facebook)

Whew! I thought it was just me! I have NEVER, EVER thought it was a good idea to broadcast so much information on social media. It just makes me cringe when people feel they have to share every little aspect of their lives. Call me old-fashioned and paranoid but I like my privacy and especially in this day and age, when it's so easy for a complete stranger to track you down, and find out where you live. I read about a rash of burglaries that happened because people posted on Facebook that they were going away, how long they were going to gone for and through other posts, their address was easy to get. 

I too was disappointed Friday to see Whoopi and not Joy. I like Sunny but sometimes, her fake eyelashes bug me. Distracting. I know...petty.

• Love 7
(edited)

Atheism.   I've been told for decades that I can't possibly be an atheist because I'm "too good."  That makes me wonder if SO MANY people are behaving only because they're afraid of their God(s).  Can't we just be good because it works?  I've also been told that I'm NOT an atheist; I'm an agnostic.  I then repeat what the priest explained to our class of senior girls in Catholic high school.   "An agnostic says, 'Oh God, if there is a God, save my soul...if I have a soul'."  My response is usually that I was SO good, so faithful, such a perfect "believer" when I believed...that I've just transferred that same "faith" to my nonbelief.  I'm not judging anyone...any religion.  It sure is difficult sometimes to actually be hated because I simply cannot believe something.  Don't worry about me, Sunny; I've got me covered.  No need to cross the street if you see me coming.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 7

Atheism is one of the last taboos.  I grew up going to catholic school, and I have been an Atheist for 40 years,  But I never say this.  People I work with have all of their various faiths, and I am okay with that. They wouldn't be okay with my beliefs.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, bannana said:

They wouldn't be okay with my beliefs.

...and that's the problem.  I've had friends tell me it's "not necessary" for me to say I'm an atheist.  It's fine, though, for them to proudly proclaim their affiliations.  Because there is such rabid hatred (that is not exaggeration) of the word "atheist," many nonbelievers are afraid to proclaim their "belief."  That's gradually changing.  I have many lifelong (mine) Catholic friends who say they don't believe any of the dogma, but they're comfortable with the rituals*.

*Rituals?  Not many are left.

• Love 2

A good friend of mine is 100% athiest 100% of the time.  Always took it with a grain of salt when he would mention reactions of some people to his atheism.  One woman, I swear I heard this, said "Why are you so resentful towards god?", to which my proud athiest friend said "How could I resent something I don't believe?"  Now I believe him.

I do think, like with the LGBT community, the more athiests come out of their closet, the more it'll become ok, not soon enough, but incrementally.

• Love 4

Sunny is a good Catholic daddy's girl so she just can't abide anything else.

I had a neighbor who was Catholic, told me many times that I should go to her new church, Baptist, and was the most mean-spirited person you would ever meet. She constantly put people down, jealous of everyone, made up stories to get attention, contradicted everybody, hated gay people, and thinks she is the most special person out there. Is that enough? LOL But she spent 3 hours every Sunday morning praising the Lord.

Me, I think the way a person lives their life is what's most important. Too many zealous religious types are hateful but feel they validate themselves because they go to church and read the Bible.

• Love 12
On 3/6/2017 at 0:19 PM, sugarbaker design said:

I do think, like with the LGBT community, the more athiests come out of their closet, the more it'll become ok, not soon enough, but incrementally.

Yep...and it's like we're learning: every family has at least one.

• Love 4

On Friday's show, the ever humble Whoopi "discussing" ambassadorships stated that she had wanted to be the ambassador to Prague. First of all, ambassadors are not appointed to a city, but to a country. Then she modestly admitted that she had been an ambassador "to the UN". Uh....in fact she was a UNICEF "goodwill ambassador", a largely ceremonial position given BY the UN to mostly celebrities. There is a HUGE difference! (She probably called her house "the embassy" during her gig.

• Love 7
Just now, pachebo said:

On Friday's show, the ever humble Whoopi "discussing" ambassadorships stated that she had wanted to be the ambassador to Prague. First of all, ambassadors are not appointed to a city, but to a country. Then she modestly admitted that she had been an ambassador "to the UN". Uh....in fact she was a UNICEF "goodwill ambassador", a largely ceremonial position given BY the UN to mostly celebrities. There is a HUGE difference! (She probably called her house "the embassy" during her gig.

And we know damn well that the rest of the panel knew that Prague doesn't have its own special ambassador and she had that ceremonial position. But if it were the other way around the movie star would have ranted and threw it in the other one's face.

• Love 4
On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎08 at 11:16 AM, pachebo said:

Thank you for posting this!  I assumed it was all bullshit when she said it, but was too disinterested to look it up.  I thought the Prague reference was very strange, and then when she said she was an Ambassador to the UN, I just knew that had to something else. I assume being an Ambassador is quite different from being a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF.  She probably thought she had diplomatic immunity.

• Love 4