Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/27/2017

Jaded
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, geekburger said:

I think had Hillary won Whoopi would have left, but now with Trump & Co? She probably feels like her voice is needed now more than ever.

Bite your tongue!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, geekburger said:

I think had Hillary won Whoopi would have left, but now with Trump & Co? She probably feels like her voice is needed now more than ever.

I've thought the same thing. (And, honestly, it's part of the reason I don't want her to leave yet either--she keeps Jedi in check, imo.)

• Love 6
(edited)

Whoopi keeps Jed in check but she does it mainly by shouting over her. If Whoopi was just gone altogether it might make room for someone else to join the panel who can keep Jed in check by using actual facts the way Sunny does. I think that would be more effective.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Former Nun said:

My "kids" are 48 and 50.  Boys.   I always told them they could call me anytime from anywhere...for any reason--I would wake up immediately and I would not be upset.  I also told them that if they were in an uncomfortable situation to blame ME if needed.   "My mom would kill me."  "My mom always finds out."   Their dad wasn't in the picture much from the time they were 9 and 11.  I also added, "NEVER call me from jail.  I've done more than my part, so that's something your father can handle."   Their dad died last year.  My younger son just drove to Mexico on Monday.  I said, "Who do you contact if you're in a Mexican jail?"   He had the answer immediately but not confidently, "Dad?"   YEA!!!    (They never got in trouble...whew! Or maybe never got caught!)

These are my thoughts, too. Parent should be teaching kid to say no on his own. AND I used the the "my mom would kill me" line myself and I'm 54. My son also used a variation of that. We're not talking in imminent danger from a bad guy and you need a secret code. Kids need to learn to say "no thanks."

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Whoopi keeps Jed in check but she does it mainly by shouting over her.

It drives me nuts when they ALL start shouting over each other. Can't hear a bloody thing. But yes, I agree - she does shut Miss White Nose Line down and that is needed every single day!!

• Love 2

Jed may drive me way like Bits did in the past. I stayed gone a good long while, even after Bits was long gone; It took me time to return. I'm starting to get the same feelings about Jed. It's all the fast talking, the screeching, and the content of her words, of course.

Whoopi can be annoying to me, but she doesn't make me stabby like Jed.

For  one example, the women of "The Talk" manage to let each other speak. Why do these folks have to shout over each other all the time?

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Jed may drive me way like Bits did in the past. I stayed gone a good long while, even after Bits was long gone; It took me time to return. I'm starting to get the same feelings about Jed. It's all the fast talking, the screeching, and the content of her words, of course.

Whoopi can be annoying to me, but she doesn't make me stabby like Jed.

For  one example, the women of "The Talk" manage to let each other speak. Why do these folks have to shout over each other all the time?

The women of The Talk discuss soft subjects so there's not much passion there.  Just sayin'.

• Love 14
Just now, Medicine Crow said:

The women of The Talk discuss soft subjects so there's not much passion there.  Just sayin'.

I watch - not everyday, but there have been the same type topics as the View; But I see your point. It could be that the Talk ladies all feel the same about things, so there's no arguing since everyone seems on the same side?  I don't want to derail this thread. I was just making a comparison.  

Jed seems to screech and chirp (shades of Bits) It is hard to watch.

• Love 5

Today's show was the first in a while I've enjoyed clean-through. Patrick Stewart was great and Whoopi seemed to be in a good mood because he was there. Overall, I think this panel is a better version of the Whoopi-Joy-Sherri-Elisabeth years. There's still one rancid co-host in Jedi (and she's even worse than Elisabeth, imo), but with the addition of Sara in Sherri's role (and I like her much more than I did Sherri) + Sunny. Still nowhere near the Meredith-Star-Joy-Lisa panel, but this is probably as good as it'll get for The View.

• Love 9

If you hate to see Sara act childish and silly, avoid the Mean Girls audition segment.

Oh, and the beginning of the Patrick Stewart segment. Her face, its just SOOO happy. I think she thinks she's very charming as she rocks her body forward, claps wildly  and laughs with her crinkled eyes and ear-to-ear grin. She's like a real-life emoji.

• Love 1
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

If you hate to see Sara act childish and silly, avoid the Mean Girls audition segment.

Oh, and the beginning of the Patrick Stewart segment. Her face, its just SOOO happy. I think she thinks she's very charming as she rocks her body forward, claps wildly  and laughs with her crinkled eyes and ear-to-ear grin. She's like a real-life emoji.

Actually, I had a friend who was like that all her life ... full of joy!!  She was a blast to be with because she found delight & humour everywhere she looked.  It didn't take much to make her laugh (or cry) & she was adored by everyone that knew her.  Just sayin'.

ETA:  I went through a stage in my life that my armpits were sweaty for no good reason, no matter what product I used, so I'll give her a pass.

Edited by Medicine Crow
Sometimes no control over sweaty pits!!!
  • Love 9

Like a lot of people, I'm on Twitter but not using my real name or photo.  Kind of like this site.  Of course, I don't use Twitter to hound and harass celebrities, but I disagree that everyone has to use their real names.  

• Love 4

My husband and I just stopped using the egg. We never harrass people (except you know who). We are not very tech savvy and it was easier. Now we use random pics or posters. Not all the egg people are trolls. The View panel out of touch yet again.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ari333 said:

The gals at The Talk don''t discuss politics so they don't have anything to yell about.  The Talk has its own shtick - Sharon Osborne  seems to always go first - then everyone else follows.

• Love 4

So I don't do Twitter and missed the View's conversation about social media... what is the egg?  I'm guessing it's the default avatar when there is no pic provided?

I noted above that sometimes I get second hand embarrassment from Sarah.  The Mean Girls audition was an example.  

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

My husband and I just stopped using the egg. We never harrass people (except you know who). We are not very tech savvy and it was easier. Now we use random pics or posters. Not all the egg people are trolls. The View panel out of touch yet again.

Right -  some of the "eggs"  on twitter (I was one for a while) have figured out how to use twitter, but have not mastered the art of uploading  pictures to use.

ETA:  to answer @Haleth's question, it's just like the square, initial avatars on this site, it's the default.  The women of The View equated the "egg"  with being anonymous, which is stupid.  If I had a twitter name of "backformore"  and an avatar of Mickey Mouse, does that make me less anonymous than someone who uses their real name but didn't choose to upload a photo?

Edited by backformore
  • Love 6

Oh ffs Sunni on your comment about you thinking atheists can't be good godparents. If it comes to a point in a child's life where they end up in a position of needing care from a "godparent" there are more important things then worrying about following in the way of Christ. Say safety, food, shelter and the like?!?

• Love 8

Sunny is talking about the formal role of godparents, the people who stand up at the christening and vow to oversee the raising of the child in Christ. Of course couples are free to choose anyone they want, but it's a serious matter in the Catholic Church and a role the prospective godparents should be ready to assume.  I don't know about other faiths, if "godparent" is just a name I guess it doesn't matter what their beliefs are.  Sunny is looking at something from a different perspective than Sarah.  And Whoopi can shut up.

This must have been prerecorded, right?  Geez, these prerecorded shows are boring. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Haleth said:

but it's a serious matter in the Catholic Church

Well, to some in the Catholic Church.  My brother and his wife (lower case Catholics) asked me to be the godfather of one of their kids.  I believe in a higher power, although I don't belong to any church.  I accepted, because I know in my bro's case, it was largely ceremonial.  There was a moment during the ritual when my nephew started acting up (God bless him!) while the godmother was holding him.  I took him and he immediately settled down, the spectators responded with oohs and aaahs, much to the joy of my Irish-born (upper case Catholic) parents.  

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Oh ffs Sunni on your comment about you thinking atheists can't be good godparents.

Oh, poor innocent, naive (or is she) Sunny.   I have NOT seen today's show, so maybe I'm off-base.  Sunny apparently thinks atheists like me are the boogymen. We're dishonest murderers and thieves who must be banned from polite society--and NEVER enter a place of worship--not fit to be a ceremonial godparent. Perhaps she thinks we're also Satanists* who could not be entrusted with the obligatory religious education of Baby Catholics.   I have been a godmother many times over and no parents expected me to butt in to the way their children were raised.   I WAS a Fabulous Catholic for 25 years (the first four of which I was completely unaware).

*If we don't believe in God, we generally don't believe in Satan...or much of anything supernatural.  

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Sunny apparently thinks atheists like me are the boogymen.

That's what she was acting like and her body language gave the impression that she might even be scared of them too. I'm agnostic so not a full blown atheist yet but her reaction is what I've gotten when in the hospital when I respond and say I'm agnostic. One lady even asked me what it was and when I tried to explain she looked horrified. I feel like an alien sometimes considering I'm in the South near the coast.

• Love 5

By-the-book Catholics generally do take the role of godparent seriously. I have eight Catholic nieces and nephews and I have never been asked to be godmother. It's not that I'm not a good person, it's not that I'm not a Christian, but I'm Protestant. My siblings and their religious beliefs do not allow that I would be a capable guardian of their children's religious upbringing. Similarly, I don't know how comfortable I would be taking part in a ceremony in which I had to promise to raise them in the Catholic faith. So it could just be that simple for Sunny.

• Love 12
53 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

Similarly, I don't know how comfortable I would be taking part in a ceremony in which I had to promise to raise them in the Catholic faith.

I could promise that in a heartbeat.   I'm fine (and generally interested) in others' beliefs and religions, so if I promised...I'd fulfill it.  

55 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I didn't get that from Sunny at all.

Apologies.  Again, I STILL haven't seen the show.  I have a family member here who absolutely HATES The View and it's not worth it to have it on when he's closeby.

• Love 4

When I tell people I am an atheist I've been told I'm going to hell.  My response is always do you even know what atheism is?  And yes Former Nun I've been accused of being a Satanist as well.  If I don't believe in god I'm pretty sure I'm not going to believe in satan either.  And then there is always the obligatory "I will pray for you."  I'm thinking go ahead and do that but it's kinda wasted on me.

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

That's what she was acting like and her body language gave the impression that she might even be scared of them too. I'm agnostic so not a full blown atheist yet but her reaction is what I've gotten when in the hospital when I respond and say I'm agnostic. One lady even asked me what it was and when I tried to explain she looked horrified. I feel like an alien sometimes considering I'm in the South near the coast.

I live in WV so yeah I get a lot of looks too.  But the worst reaction I got was from a once close friend who advised me not to let people know I was an atheist.  I said why.  She said they might not like it.  I looked her dead in the face and said so fucking what?  We are no longer friends.

• Love 9

I don't say I'm an atheist.  I say I'm a Secular Humanist.  It's the non-religion religion.   

Take all the good stuff about how you should be honest, kind, generous, etc, from religion, and leave out the dogma about purgatory, sin, immaculate conception, and whether the bible stories are literally true or metaphors.  You're left with secular humanism - be nice to people.  Not because god says you have to, not because you want to avoid the fires of hell, but just because that's what's right.  what do secular humanists believe? they believe that it is important to treat people with kindness, to treat animals with kindness, to respect the planet we all live on.    don't kill, don't cheat, don't steal - because those things are WRONG.  

• Love 19
(edited)
16 hours ago, backformore said:

Like a lot of people, I'm on Twitter but not using my real name or photo.  Kind of like this site.  Of course, I don't use Twitter to hound and harass celebrities, but I disagree that everyone has to use their real names.  

I'm so weird and private, I always marveled at folks who (I presume) had used their real names on twitter (and Facebook)

My bf uses his real name on FB and now has "re-thunk"it and doesn't know how to change it. Neither do I.

I still think Sarah shares too much husband info and I'd be miffed if I were him. I do like her smile though. It seems genuine.

I like Sunny a lot. It's just when she cocks her head to make a point I feel a little stabby. [/immabitch]

It always confused me when one godparent, let's say godmother, is from one family with her own husband (who is not godfather). Then there is godfather from another family; (He has a wife who is not godmother.)  When needed,  do they agree in peace (that happens) or   fight in court  over who gets the child in the event of a tragedy and the child has to be placed somewhere? I just get confused and this has happened recently to someone in real life. Not the tragedy part, but the naming of two different people from two families. Do you assign a first choice? (and if so, ouch?)

2 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

By-the-book Catholics generally do take the role of godparent seriously. I have eight Catholic nieces and nephews and I have never been asked to be godmother. It's not that I'm not a good person, it's not that I'm not a Christian, but I'm Protestant. My siblings and their religious beliefs do not allow that I would be a capable guardian of their children's religious upbringing. Similarly, I don't know how comfortable I would be taking part in a ceremony in which I had to promise to raise them in the Catholic faith. So it could just be that simple for Sunny.

Wow.I thought religion was supposed to bring folks together not tear them apart. *sigh*. You'd be an awesome  godmother.(fwiw)

I guess I'll take my other religious beefs, peeves, and rants to small talk so as not to derail the thread. :-) Even though it is  technically View topic (fodder) I have more details to spew. heh

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

People are confusing godparents with guardians.  They are not the same thing. 

Guardians are people designated by the parents to raise the child in the event of their death. The choice of a guardian doesn't necessarily have anything to do with religion. 

Godparents are meant to see to the child's religious/spiritual upbringing.  This is why Sunny was talking about being a Catholic, a Christian ... it makes a lot more sense to have the godparent share the child's religion.  As she explained, some religious groups require it.  Godparents don't automatically get the child to raise if something happens to the parents. They can be designated the guardian if the parents want that, but that obligation is not part of being a godparent.  

• Love 19
1 hour ago, backformore said:

I don't say I'm an atheist.  I say I'm a Secular Humanist.  It's the non-religion religion.   

Take all the good stuff about how you should be honest, kind, generous, etc, from religion, and leave out the dogma about purgatory, sin, immaculate conception, and whether the bible stories are literally true or metaphors.  You're left with secular humanism - be nice to people.  Not because god says you have to, not because you want to avoid the fires of hell, but just because that's what's right.  what do secular humanists believe? they believe that it is important to treat people with kindness, to treat animals with kindness, to respect the planet we all live on.    don't kill, don't cheat, don't steal - because those things are WRONG.  

I always tell people that I believe in God, but, I don't believe in Religion. I was raised in the Catholic Church. I will only got to Church, if it is an obligation like a baptism, wedding or Funeral.

• Love 5

I didn't really mind Sunny's comments. Some religious followers do feel it's their duty to carry on the faith in their children, and that plays a critical role in deciding who might raise them hypothetically. I personally wouldn't care because I doubt an atheist who is my friend would prohibit my child from practicing if they took them in. What particularly stood out to me was that Joy--who I believe is an atheist, maybe agnostic?--said almost nothing during the topic.

The fluff topics made the show feel like a recording. This is the most Sara's talked in a while.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

The way they are portrayed on TV and in Movies make it seem like they both include caring for the child as a whole. I say that because I've never really looked into what separates them. Having said that my opinion about Sunny's reactions and body language regarding atheism haven't changed. When Sara was giving her opinion about it all Sunny rushed to make sure to say to her "You believe in God and you're not an atheist..." so people knew Sara wasn't one. I like Sunny most of the time it's just things like this that drive me crazy.

• Love 2

Jennifer Lopez's mother looked amazing and young. I guess we know now where JLO gets those genes, but how in the world does she juggle everything that she does? ( I'm a big fan, but I admit I'm jealous of her looks and endless energy. I feel like a sloth when I see her.)

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Having said that my opinion about Sunny's reactions and body language regarding atheism haven't changed. When Sara was giving her opinion about it all Sunny rushed to make sure to say to her "You believe in God and you're not an atheist..." so people knew Sara wasn't one. I like Sunny most of the time it's just things like this that drive me crazy.

I like Sunny most of the time too, but her pouty coquette act with the downward cast eyes and cocked head and her occasional mortified schoolmarm act grate on my nerves.  When she says the word "atheist" she gets this look on her face like someone at the table just farted. Loudly.  The judgmentalism she radiates sometimes is just blinding. 

That being said, I'd still take her over 99% of the hosts they've had on the show in the last ten years in a heartbeat.  But she isn't perfect.  Only Lisa Ling was perfect! 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Apologies.  Again, I STILL haven't seen the show.

Now I HAVE seen the show and am obligated to remove that "Apologies."   Sunny actually rolled her eyes when she said, "atheist."  The next time there was a wince and a slight roll of the eyes.  I wonder who she thinks is standing next to her in elevators, which parents are sending their children to HER children's Catholic school for the quality of education, which first responders are putting their lives on the line.  We atheists are everywhere--we're the same as you, Sunny, and everyone else.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

I always tell people that I believe in God, but, I don't believe in Religion. I was raised in the Catholic Church. I will only got to Church, if it is an obligation like a baptism, wedding or Funeral.

Same here.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I like Sunny most of the time too, but her pouty coquette act with the downward cast eyes and cocked head and her occasional mortified schoolmarm act grate on my nerves.  

What a perfect description. I hate that look too, but I hate Sara's happy look/act more!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Guardians are people designated by the parents to raise the child in the event of their death. The choice of a guardian doesn't necessarily have anything to do with religion. 

Godparents are meant to see to the child's religious/spiritual upbringing.  This is why Sunny was talking about being a Catholic, a Christian ... it makes a lot more sense to have the godparent share the child's religion.  As she explained, some religious groups require it.  Godparents don't automatically get the child to raise if something happens to the parents. They can be designated the guardian if the parents want that, but that obligation is not part of being a godparent.  

Thank you for the distinction. I guess I've watched too many tv shows in which the godparents were supposed to take the child to raise (legal guardians) if both parents died. I'm clear now. :-)

3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I like Sunny most of the time too, but her pouty coquette act with the downward cast eyes and cocked head and her occasional mortified schoolmarm act grate on my nerves.  When she says the word "atheist" she gets this look on her face like someone at the table just farted. Loudly.  The judgmentalism she radiates sometimes is just blinding. 

That being said, I'd still take her over 99% of the hosts they've had on the show in the last ten years in a heartbeat.  But she isn't perfect.  Only Lisa Ling was perfect! 

Yes. That head down, looking up through the lashes thing reminds me of Princess Diana . Worked for her. (til it didn't). Drives me nuts when Sunny does it. She's an atty and a  grown ass woman for cryin out loud. not 12.

• Love 7