Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Hostiles and Calamities

halgia
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

This is true. He sucks up resources and gives little back, just like Morgan, except unlike Morgan he at least doesn't judge and sermonize to the others that all life is precious, disapproving of their methods and actions even as they're saving HIS worthless ass and feeding him.

I am hoping. Since Abe was his friend.  That this is a big set up.  It would be a wonderful way to redeem a character that has otherwise wasted my time.  It would be funny as hell if Rick shows up at the gate with the army he has amassed and all of the Saviors are already dead because Eugene dispatched them with some ingenious plan.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I think Eugene is a heck of a lot smarter than most people think.  He made the mistake in the past of making a bullet for that jackass Rosita.  The same Rosita who hasn't said word one, or showed any concern about Eugene since he was taken away by Nagen.   The rest of Rick's little group hasn't said word one about Eugene either.

Rosita did mention him when Morgan asked who had been killed.  They rattled off the names of the dead and then she threw his name out there and immediately went to bitchcon level 5, sneering at Morgan "So you still you think you were right?"  Never mind that the casualty list proved that he indeed was correct in counseling against going off a murderin' before they had bothered to find out even basic information about their target or what the potential for blow back might be.

Eugene taught them how to get drinkable water.  He knew which components were needed to fix the power grid back when the show was still pretending that any of this was about building and maintaining a stable community.  He knew which seeds and plants they should be looking for.  He risked himself for Tara and later the entire group.  He did know how to make bullets and later stepped up and admitted his responsibility for it when he had every reason to think that probably wouldn't end well for him.  And he was smart enough to trick the supposedly superior badasses into protecting him when he couldn't protect himself.  That last one alone makes him more interesting than half the personality-free members of Rick's crew.

• Love 24

I'm surprised at some of the hate Eugene is getting for saying "I am Negan."

That's totally the smart move, and acting defiant in that situation is only going to get you thrown in the hole and abused like Darryl. Being defiant achieves nothing and is potentially dangerous. And for what? Foolish pride? Better to play the role of submissive prisoner, all the while plotting against Negan or planning an escape. Darryl was an idiot who should have behaved more like Eugene from the start. What has Darryl's defiance accomplished other than getting Glenn killed?

Eugene was also hilarious. I laughed at loud at, "“I've always been Negan. I just needed to meet you properly to know."

I'd be very surprised if Eugene ends up going full Stockholm Syndrome with the Saviors. I think he's going to end up being the Trojan Horse than helps bring the Saviors down from the inside when the inevitable attack from Rick's group finally arrives.

Edited by Scaeva
  • Love 16
10 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Eugene taught them how to get drinkable water.  He knew which components were needed to fix the power grid back when the show was still pretending that any of this was about building and maintaining a stable community.  He knew which seeds and plants they should be looking for.  He risked himself for Tara and later the entire group.  He did know how to make bullets and later stepped up and admitted his responsibility for it when he had every reason to think that probably wouldn't end well for him.  And he was smart enough to trick the supposedly superior badasses into protecting him when he couldn't protect himself.  That last one alone makes him more interesting than half the personality-free members of Rick's crew.

So much this.  He has knowledge and skills that have been shown to be valuable:  he helped feed them, get clean water, maintain their energy grid, and give them ammo so they could defend themselves - skills that are all vital in a post-apocalyptic world.  Eugene's Big Lie actually saved Abraham's life.  He was about to put a bullet in his own head when Eugene have him a reason to live.  Yet they call him useless and coward because he's nervous and can't aim a gun very well.  Fuck CDB.  I hope Eugene becomes king of the Sanctuary.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 15

Count me among those that think Eugene is playing possum to survive until he can get out of there (or until everyone else attacks... whichever). I don't think he'd ever feel true loyalty to the person who brained Abraham in the woods like that, but he's not physically strong enough to endure what Daryl did with the Saviors. I think he's just biding his time until the rest show up, and maybe we'll see him working something from the inside.

At least, I hope, because a real allegiance to Negan would creep me out.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

This is true. He sucks up resources and gives little back, just like Morgan, except unlike Morgan he at least doesn't judge and sermonize to the others that all life is precious, disapproving of their methods and actions even as they're saving HIS worthless ass and feeding him.

Morgan has stepped up many times. It may not be the way they would want him too but he does. Morgan survived this long because of Morgan. Eugene survived this long because Tara, Abraham, Rosita, Glenn, Maggie, the people in their group who died before they met up the CDB .. 

He also doesn't keep score like Eugene. He does things for people but you better believe you will hear about it later.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

"Gross" is what teenaged boys find cool. Negan makes Nazis look compassionate. Did he become this diabolical monster, evil incarnate, in two years? Does every bad guy on this show have to be successively the most evil person in the history of the world, yet Negan has a whole bunch of followers who would stand there and watch him throw someone as all-important as a doctor into a fire to be burned alive for the capital crime of... letting Daryl go.  Do we need to be bashed over the head as Glenn was every time to make us "get it?"

He's such a cartoon character. I had problems with the Governor's storyline, but he was truly scary to me. I remember when he took Glenn and Maggie. I was terrified, it was so scary. Negan walks around with his stupid bat and pushes people in the fire. Sorry but it just makes me roll my eyes. Even when he killed Abraham and Glenn, I was horrified only by the level of violence they were showing on TV and by what happened to Glenn, my favorite character. Not by that idiot talking so much that everyone else he didn't kill probably wished they were dead. And yeah I'm tired of every villain having to be worse than the one before. I found the claimers much more believable as to the type of villains that would be around in the zombie apocalypse. 

• Love 10

The thing that cracks me up about Eugene's "luxury" accommodations with the old books and the Atari, is that the one thing that would be in excessive overabundance in the ZA is multimedia entertainment.  Those things are non-perishable.  People would have entire Best Buys and Barnes and Nobles at their disposal.  Seriously.  So how can Negan possibly dole out such meager crap when there is so much available out there for people to grab on their own?  LOL.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, diebartdie said:

Now having got that off my chest ... I realize the show is setting up Eugene to pull the ol' switcheroo and really come through for CBD but honestly,

is pretty plausible as well.

Maybe past performance can be a predictor of future results: Eugene is known for lying about his resume in order to manipulate people into keeping him alive.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, MV007 said:

In fact, what I really wanted was for Sherry to find Darryl and hook up with him in some shack only to have Dwight find them and then Darryl put a bullet in his head.

This sounds great, exceeeeept....I'd have Dwight put the bullet in Daryl's head. 

5 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I take it none of Neegan's wives ever watched the ID Channel?  Because - antifreeze in his iced tea, ladies!

There are many ways to poison someone. It was weird that they'd never thought of anything on there own, but were just hoping some super science dude would come along. It made me wonder if they really just wanted him to take the fall. 

3 hours ago, Timetoread said:

Ok, listen.  I am reaching so deep inside myself to find the love I once had for this show, but so far it is still in hiding.  I simply can't with this drivel.  Negan would be so much more menacing if he didn't come across like a pre-tween Goosebumps bully.  What grown man walks around carrying a baseball bat 24/7?  In a world where you can be killed by zombies, men with guns, psychos with tanks, the common cold or starvation - are you really that scared of a dude with a bat?

And he's always got it up on his shoulder. I'd think that would get pretty uncomfortable after awhile. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

CDB treated him like crap, calling him coward because he couldn't fight and was often afraid to try (not everyone can be a warrior). They never honestly appreciated the knowledge and skills he did have, which are considerable.  He gets to the sanctuary and from day one they know he has useful skills, he's given status, and treated with respect.  I don't blame him one bit if he decides to stick with the Sanctuary.

He digs Easy Street, that was cute.

I think he was a high school science teacher.

The only person I can remember treating Eugene like crap and calling him a coward was Rosita

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Dobian said:

The thing that cracks me up about Eugene's "luxury" accommodations with the old books and the Atari, is that the one thing that would be in excessive overabundance in the ZA is multimedia entertainment.  Those things are non-perishable.  People would have entire Best Buys and Barnes and Nobles at their disposal.  Seriously.  So how can Negan possibly dole out such meager crap when there is so much available out there for people to grab on their own?  LOL.

That's what I've been saying all along.  I was shocked at how quaint the Savior's compound is.  I was surprised that they took "Stuff" from Alexandria.  With the manpower, weapons and trucks they could easily clean out every mall and shopping center in the area (in NOVA, DC, and MD) there are enough for each Savior to have his own shopping center.  There is no lack of "stuff" on the East Coast of America.  The least of them could live like a king. 

What WOULD be hard, however, is the relearning of how to grow food.  But I am also shocked at how much these groups are still reliant upon canned food.  By now, they could be creatively farming.  Like rooftop farming, or sealing up a football stadium and keeping livestock.  Fish could be a daily staple.  It is ridiculous that a bunch of people are sitting around in a junk yard waiting for somebody wily enough to get a bunch of canned crap off of a boat.  The stupid never ceases to amaze me.

21 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

And he's always got it up on his shoulder. I'd think that would get pretty uncomfortable after awhile. 

Well clearly he has back problems.  I really want them to get him a chair or something.

• Love 11

On this show, if your character has any kind of medical background - you are doomed!  The doctor at the CDC, Hershel, the nurse and doctor at the prison during the swine flu outbreak, porch dick, Tara's girlfriend, and now Dr. Carson.  If I was that OB/GYN at Hilltop, I would be a little worried.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, festivus said:

He's such a cartoon character. I had problems with the Governor's storyline, but he was truly scary to me. I remember when he took Glenn and Maggie. I was terrified, it was so scary. Negan walks around with his stupid bat and pushes people in the fire. Sorry but it just makes me roll my eyes. Even when he killed Abraham and Glenn, I was horrified only by the level of violence they were showing on TV and by what happened to Glenn, my favorite character. Not by that idiot talking so much that everyone else he didn't kill probably wished they were dead. And yeah I'm tired of every villain having to be worse than the one before. I found the claimers much more believable as to the type of villains that would be around in the zombie apocalypse. 

The claimers actually made sense.  A small bunch of like minded people who had no loyalty to each other, but were mostly tolerant of the group members out of necessity and had their fun, twisted though they were.   This is just a bunch of gray looking people in a gray environment stirring gruel, mopping pee, and getting their faces burnt off.

And why did Dwight go back?  He could have gotten so far ahead on the cycle that they wouldn't have found him.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GreyBunny said:

So much this.  He has knowledge and skills that have been shown to be valuable:  he helped feed them, get clean water, maintain their energy grid, and give them ammo so they could defend themselves - skills that are all vital in a post-apocalyptic world.  Eugene's Big Lie actually saved Abraham's life.  He was about to put a bullet in his own head when Eugene have him a reason to live.  Yet they call him useless and coward because he's nervous and can't aim a gun very well.  Fuck CDB.  I hope Eugene becomes king of the Sanctuary.

While I think Eugene has become more valuable than he gets credit for, there are also reasons for Rick's group to not really trust him and see him as a burden at time.  Sure, his Big Lie saved Abe's life, but it was still a Big Lie, and he repeatedly put their lives in danger to maintain the Big Lie, for instance when he shot out the fuel tank of the vehicle they were traveling in.  He has also been mostly useless in combat situations.  Despite that, they kept him in the group and protected him.  The probably should have found more ways to use his talents, and could have treated him with a bit more respect, but its not like he has been the "good guy" and they have been the bad guys.   

I seriously doubt he has really defected to the Saviors.  I think he is once again using his best survival skill (lying) and is plotting to help Rick's group take out Neagan and the Saviors.  

• Love 3

I'm not getting this "group don't care about Eugene vibe." It was the taking of Eugene and the killing of Spencer and Olivia that started the war. They were just working going along to get along after the deaths of Glenn and Abraham. And there was no attempt, not even a mention at an attempt to try and rescue Daryl. Other than Rosita I just don't see how Rick's group ever really treated Eugene bad. FPP has more of a case than U'Gene.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Timetoread said:

That's what I've been saying all along.  I was shocked at how quaint the Savior's compound is.  I was surprised that they took "Stuff" from Alexandria.  With the manpower, weapons and trucks they could easily clean out every mall and shopping center in the area (in NOVA, DC, and MD) there are enough for each Savior to have his own shopping center.  There is no lack of "stuff" on the East Coast of America.  The least of them could live like a king. 

What WOULD be hard, however, is the relearning of how to grow food.  But I am also shocked at how much these groups are still reliant upon canned food.  By now, they could be creatively farming.  Like rooftop farming, or sealing up a football stadium and keeping livestock.  Fish could be a daily staple.  It is ridiculous that a bunch of people are sitting around in a junk yard waiting for somebody wily enough to get a bunch of canned crap off of a boat.  The stupid never ceases to amaze me.

Well clearly he has back problems.  I really want them to get him a chair or something.

Good point about the "stuff".  Food and energy would be very challenging to get.  But, top of the line electronics, appliances, furniture and automobiles would be plentiful. All sorts of boats, of all sizes and fishing and camping gear would also be available.  They could  be riding around in the most luxurious, but fuel efficient, cars,  wearing designer clothes, and more jewelry than Mr. T.  

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

The claimers actually made sense.  A small bunch of like minded people who had no loyalty to each other, but were mostly tolerant of the group members out of necessity and had their fun, twisted though they were.   This is just a bunch of gray looking people in a gray environment stirring gruel, mopping pee, and getting their faces burnt off.

And why did Dwight go back?  He could have gotten so far ahead on the cycle that they wouldn't have found him.  

I agree.  It is amazing that nobody in the Saviors killed Neagan by now.  Who knows, maybe they did and he isn't the original Neagan, but one who took over after the first (or fifth) was killed by his own subjects.  

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Good point about the "stuff".  Food and energy would be very challenging to get.  But, top of the line electronics, appliances, furniture and automobiles would be plentiful. All sorts of boats, of all sizes and fishing and camping gear would also be available.  They could  be riding around in the most luxurious, but fuel efficient, cars,  wearing designer clothes, and more jewelry than Mr. T.  

Yeah. This is one of the biggest pet peeves I have about the show in general. In my somewhat smallish area, we have a Wal-Mart, BJs, a Costco and 2 large grocery stores. We also have a Home Depot and Lowes. Not counting all the other restaurants and stores and 24 hour stores, in my area. (not counting all the stuff people may have in their own homes). The overstock at these places alone is massive. They have stuff in the back, stocked above the shelves, etc... In my opinion, there is no way that they would be running out of anything that is prepackaged and processed. If the entire group of people in the Alexandria area is 1000 people. There should be plenty to go around. Have you ever seen the stock in a Costco? They sell 50-100 pound bags of rice for God's sake! They have those stocked 100 deep. We never see these guys eating rice. Same goes for pasta and oatmeal, and all kinds of dried goods-beans. I think that there should have been much more stored food to go around. But the show wants to act like it is 10 years out, which is why we got Garbage Patch Kids and their bizarre language and a lack of everything. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

Exactly! He might have even found Sherry. I do not get why people don't put some thought into fleeing. If you do it right, you'd be able to get away. Are the Saviors really going to waste manpower chasing people across the entire zombie-ridden country? 

• Love 2

You know, JDM is actually a good actor and Negan SUCKS.

I can't blame on JDM. I feel like he's being told to play the character like he just stepped out of a comic panel.

Like I get infusing the character with traits and quirks but it's always the same. Where is the nuance or is Negan just not that nuanced of a character?

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Yeah. This is one of the biggest pet peeves I have about the show in general. In my somewhat smallish area, we have a Wal-Mart, BJs, a Costco and 2 large grocery stores. We also have a Home Depot and Lowes. Not counting all the other restaurants and stores and 24 hour stores, in my area. (not counting all the stuff people may have in their own homes). The overstock at these places alone is massive. They have stuff in the back, stocked above the shelves, etc... In my opinion, there is no way that they would be running out of anything that is prepackaged and processed. If the entire group of people in the Alexandria area is 1000 people. There should be plenty to go around. Have you ever seen the stock in a Costco? They sell 50-100 pound bags of rice for God's sake! They have those stocked 100 deep. We never see these guys eating rice. Same goes for pasta and oatmeal, and all kinds of dried goods-beans. I think that there should have been much more stored food to go around. But the show wants to act like it is 10 years out, which is why we got Garbage Patch Kids and their bizarre language and a lack of everything. 

I am not so sure there would be much pre-packaged food left.  While it might seem lot a lot, I doubt all the stores combined, that sell pre packaged food in a particular area keep more than a few months of what the population of that area would buy.  In the initial panic, and the weeks and months following, when the population was still relatively high, most of these stores would have been bought out or looted.  

Also, broken doors and windows, and no exterminators, any food in packaging that pests could penetrate would probably be consumed or ruined.  Exposure to rain, wind, and high temperatures would also take a toll.  I tend to think the lack of food is pretty realistic.  I could see hungry and starving people riding around in luxury cars, wearing designer clothes and lots of bling. :)  Getting farming going again would be critical.  

• Love 6
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

I thought it was pretty obvious that Dwight implicated the doctor just to protect his ex-wife, keep people from searching for her, and giving her a chance to get away.  Negan's not the type to let something like that happen without someone paying for it, so Dwight framed the doctor.  I'm surprised there have been so many questions about it.

They're trying to make Dwight sympathetic here, but wow that is a dirtbag thing to do.  Getting someone murdered in a horrible fashion is just not okay, even if your motivation is to protect someone you love.  I know TWD tries to show a lot of difficult moral predicaments, but that is pretty cold.

I would agree with this, but Dwight told Negan that Sherry was killed by zombies, so there's no need to protect her at that point.

• Love 1

Just echoing the tech disbelief, here. The Atari, the VCR, the record player...why is Negan's lair a vintage 1980s time capsule? A warehouse for storing eBay collectibles? Did they do a run in my dad's basement, because I think they forgot the Betamax and the EZ bake oven. If Rick picked up another old ass phone, would he dial a 900 number? In ten years I expect they'll find AOL for $2.95 an hour and a Nirvana b-side mix tape. 

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Which city?  Atlanta?  

Yes. In a flashback (I think it was S1 may have been 2) Lori and Shane are shown meeting Carol on the highway and the city is napalmed in that scene. It was also said that the city "belonged to the dead" which is why they moved on and Rick was trying to warn Morgan away. 

I know there could be places in rural areas and small towns but if you are not familiar I would not want to wonder around the ZA looking for video games and furniture.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Just echoing the tech disbelief, here. The Atari, the VCR, the record player...why is Negan's lair a vintage 1980s time capsule? A warehouse for storing eBay collectibles? Did they do a run in my dad's basement, because I think they forgot the Betamax and the EZ bake oven. 

My belief is that without any technology those would be the things that would work the easiest. Anything before the world went hi-tech would be what I would look for unless someone managed to somehow get a wifi/HDM1 signal.

• Love 1

Boofish, I agree with you about the wifi, but if they have electricity they should be able to use newer and much more accessible technology (DVD/blu-ray players, radios, CDs, tapes, Xbox, etc.). Even MP3 players would be usable as long as they had a charger and an outlet. Rick had an iPod at the prison, I think. 

I realize it's a nitpick and not a deal breaker, but it did take me out of the scene to see Eugene with a relatively rare video game system and record player.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Boofish said:

Yes. In a flashback (I think it was S1 may have been 2) Lori and Shane are shown meeting Carol on the highway and the city is napalmed in that scene. It was also said that the city "belonged to the dead" which is why they moved on and Rick was trying to warn Morgan away. 

I know there could be places in rural areas and small towns but if you are not familiar I would not want to wonder around the ZA looking for video games and furniture.

In Fear the Walking Dead, the Air Force was napalming LA. Presumably, it was being done everywhere.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, festivus said:

I found the claimers much more believable as to the type of villains that would be around in the zombie apocalypse. 

They totally made sense. They were probably not that much different before the ZA, but now they can do what they do with impunity. They're nomadic scavengers and opportunists, which is what someone would expect to see after some cataclysmic event and not some meglomaniacal dictators who are evil just for the pure enjoyment of being evil, like Negan. I really don't think anyone, no matter how vile, could shove someone they know into a fire and then just smile and carry on as though nothing happened. Even the Governor was torn and distressed when he pushed Martinez into the walker pit.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I am not so sure there would be much pre-packaged food left.  While it might seem lot a lot, I doubt all the stores combined, that sell pre packaged food in a particular area keep more than a few months of what the population of that area would buy.  In the initial panic, and the weeks and months following, when the population was still relatively high, most of these stores would have been bought out or looted.  

Also, broken doors and windows, and no exterminators, any food in packaging that pests could penetrate would probably be consumed or ruined.  Exposure to rain, wind, and high temperatures would also take a toll.  I tend to think the lack of food is pretty realistic.  I could see hungry and starving people riding around in luxury cars, wearing designer clothes and lots of bling. :)  Getting farming going again would be critical.  

LMAO, I just had a mental picture of my zombified, starved, corpse stuck in my S class sedan, with my full MAC face, Louis Vuitton bag and luggage in the trunk, Burberry sweater and scarf, and blinged to the max.   The flyest walking deader around!  Nah, I'm from this area, I know where to find sustainable food and water.  Half this area is city/suburb and the other half is farm land, the whole of it bordering bay, river and ocean.  Seriously the worst of it would be the hordes.  A gated community on the river is how I'd do it.  Seriously, I've given it actual thought.

• Love 9

So I'm probably thinking this through way more than I should, but tell me if I have this right. Sherri freed Daryl because - per the letter - Daryl reminded her of what Dwight used to be (and she knew that Dwight saw that too). So she risked her life for someone she barely knows just based on the concept of him too.  And also, the story that Dwight sold to Negan was that it was actually the doctor who freed Daryl ... for some reason ... which caused Sherri to run, because for some reason she figured she'd be the one blamed?

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Gobi said:

In Fear the Walking Dead, the Air Force was napalming LA. Presumably, it was being done everywhere.

Even if they did napalm the cities - they didn't napalm the entire suburban sprawl which can cover a 50 square miles or more.  The presumption is that most humans died and died fast.  Regardless of was looted from stores, all of that stuff would be in cars and in homes.  I bet the gridlocked highway is a gold mine (cept for the hordes).  I also think I'd raid a library and learn primitive skills, which is necessary without power, but they aren't starting from scratch.

But let's face something, in a REAL life scenario, the fallout from the nuclear plants going off when the cooling systems went down, and the rampant disease from the unburied dead, would most likely finish off what was left of humanity.   But I'd die runway ready.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I would agree.  The people who survived the first couple of weeks would have scavenged/hoarded whatever food was around.  They'd also have broken windows and doors, which would have compromised anything they didn't take.  Roofs would begin to leak and break down without people there to take care of them, and storms like the one they endured at the barn would take care of other buildings and ruin any food stored inside.

But who would be breaking in and stealing playing systems and dvds?  Especially after the power grid went down?  Last thing on MY mind, in the za, is breaking in to my nearest Best Buy in order to steal some zombie fighting game. 

I would, though, be totally stealing all the diamonds I could lay my hands on.  I'd shine like the sun, I would.  Earrings, rings, multi-strands of diamonds.  I'd look fly as I die.

• Love 5

I'm not at the point of giving up on the show yet, but I also am having an impossible time working up a desire to actually watch this episode.  "Can I get away with only reading recaps? Maybe just fast forward most of it?"  I'm bargaining with myself over TWD!  Seasons 3 - 6 I loved watching this show, this season feels like doing homework for the most miserable class I've ever taken.  (I think I'm gonna slog to the end of this year -- if it all builds to an amazing finale, that could be satisfying... if the finale doesn't make me feel this was all worth it, I'll drop the show then)

I mean, just that dreadful blurb: "An Alexandrian discovers they must navigate the mysterious, confusing and terrifying world within the Saviors' compound"  If there's one thing I never need to see again, it's an Alexandrian trying to navigate the world of the Saviors, which is not mysterious, not confusing, and not terrifying.  It's overexplored, boring, and every part of it that's supposed to be frightening is really just ugly and unpleasant.  I also feel like I already know what every beat of the story will be.

It almost feels like the best thing they could do at this point is Poochie it.  "Oh, there was a giant natural gas explosion at the Saviors compound, Negan and all of them are dead now."

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, JyDanzig said:

If there's one thing I never need to see again, it's an Alexandrian trying to navigate the world of the Saviors, which is not mysterious, not confusing, and not terrifying.  It's overexplored, boring, and every part of it that's supposed to be frightening is really just ugly and unpleasant.  I also feel like I already know what every beat of the story will be.

I'm pretty sure that this is my final season watching the show, so I am going to enjoy these last five episodes for what they're worth and reminisce about how cool this show used to be.  The writing for both Negan and the Saviors has been awful, and the wacky communities in this post-ZA world make no sense.  The show is too much cast of thousands, which is compounded by the fact that they keep giving feature episodes to lesser characters like Tara and Eugene while major characters like Carol and Maggie are hardly ever seen.  That, plus the character writing in general on this show sucks.  It's almost like they go out of their way to make even the CDB people as uninteresting and un-compelling as possible.  I just don't care about them anymore like I did back in season 4.  If they defeat the Saviors in the finale, I will consider the story over.  How these different factions rebuild civilization doesn't really matter to me.  This is a great jumping-off point.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

You know, JDM is actually a good actor and Negan SUCKS.

I can't blame on JDM. I feel like he's being told to play the character like he just stepped out of a comic panel.

Like I get infusing the character with traits and quirks but it's always the same. Where is the nuance or is Negan just not that nuanced of a character?

JDM's going to be typecast as Negan for the rest of his life.

Every show he'll ever be on, folks won't say, "Hey, there's Sam and Dean's dad" or "It's that guy from Magic City" or "There's Jason, the guy Alicia Florick let get away."   

It's going to be "Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!   Isn't that Negan?   At first I didn't recognize him without the bat."

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, millennium said:

Every show he'll ever be on, folks won't say, "Hey, there's Sam and Dean's dad" or "It's that guy from Magic City" or "There's Jason, the guy Alicia Florick let get away."   

It's going to be "Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!   Isn't that Negan?   At first I didn't recognize him without the bat."

Maybe they'll think of him as the Comedian from Watchmen.

But honestly if they don't give him something more interesting to do with Negan..what a waste.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Maybe they'll think of him as the Comedian from Watchmen.

Oops, forgot that one.   It's two bad Negan's not just a character Negan plays -- you know, to keep everyone in line?  But underneath it all, behind closed doors, he's actually a soft-spoken, highly intelligent, sadistic psychopath.

• Love 1

My friend at work asked if I watched this EP and I said, "no way, I watched the Oscars"(awards whore that I am)... and he proceeded to tell me how boring he thought it was.... then I come here just to read if there is truth to his statement.  Seems like he was right.  So should I even bother to watch?... I'd be fine just reading the recap right?

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Tim Thomason said:

Say what you will about Eugene, he consistently proved that he was the smartest man in the room in pretty much every scene in the episode. I've always been annoyed by the trope of people's pride or courage getting in the way of an easy out with simple phrases like "I am Negan" here (and seen in the earlier episodes with Daryl). Having Eugene instantly, and enthusiastically, skip the lengthy brainwashing was hilarious and greatly subverted expectations (although it is in character, of course). I just hope that it's another one of his famous lies, and Eugene hasn't actively changed loyalties.

Oh, I fully expect Eugene has changed loyalties - just like he will again, the moment someone shows up who can dethrone Negan.  Eugene's "loyalty", such as it is, swings as freely as a fence gate with freshly oiled hinges.  Next to Eugene, a willow tree looks like a mighty oak.  But hey, this same flexibility has helped keep Eugene alive so far....

10 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Yea, do they have another doctor just sitting around in some apartment, twiddling his thumbs and waiting for his chance? 

Not at all.  He's playing vintage video games.  His thumbs are VERY busy.

6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Negan makes Nazis look compassionate. Did he become this diabolical monster, evil incarnate, in two years?

Personally, I think pre-ZA Negan was a high school gym coach.  So he already had a head start.

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

There are many ways to poison someone. It was weird that they'd never thought of anything on there own, but were just hoping some super science dude would come along. It made me wonder if they really just wanted him to take the fall. 

More and more I lean toward the notion of the whole suicide-capsule scenario being a Negan-engineered loyalty test, as opposed to an actual assassination plot cooked up by the wives.

3 hours ago, Boofish said:

The only person I can remember treating Eugene like crap and calling him a coward was Rosita

Uhhh... I seem to recall an enraged Abraham dribbling Eugene's braincase off the asphalt by the fire engine when Eugene's Big Lie was revealed.  

Guess karma bit Abraham back hard on the head trauma, huh?

1 hour ago, Bluegirl547 said:

I would agree with this, but Dwight told Negan that Sherry was killed by zombies, so there's no need to protect her at that point.

Sure! - except for the fact she wasn't.

• Love 5

Negan is dumb. It's astounding no one has been able to take him out yet. It strains credulity. At least if he was reasonably smart and fending off assassination attempts, I could see. 

Count me among those that think Eugene is playing possum to survive until he can get out of there (or until everyone else attacks... whichever).

Do people think this is not the case? It seemed pretty clear at the end with him and Dwight.

They could  be riding around in the most luxurious, but fuel efficient, cars,  wearing designer clothes, and more jewelry than Mr. T.  

One would think a new system of currency would have sprung up. Trading Atari games, DVDs, etc. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4

I thought this episode was kind of boring and I still don't like Negan, but I did have to laugh at this exchange:

Negan: 'I feel I gotta give you some kind of signing bonus here.'

Eugene (shaking his head and clutching his jar): 'Well, I was...I was gifted these pickles.'

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Cheetosandchoc said:

I thought Dwight set the doctor up so Neegan wouldn't have any doubts.

On second viewing, I pretty much came to the same conclusion. Carson was obviously set on blaming Sherry -- and rightfully so -- which meant that Negan would be after her relentlessly and wouldn't have simply taken Dwight's word that she was killed by zombies...he'd want whatever was left of her body.

ETA: What Slovenly Muse said on Page 2.

Edited by Raven1707
Slovenly Muse said it better!
  • Love 1

I am sooooo happy I watched the Oscars instead of this episode; the Oscars had more suspense and the ending was way more thrilling!  I caught a repeat after the Oscars and it was heartbreaking to see so many people with so little invested in their jobs; everyone's just going through the motions.  I think the doctor was actually screaming for joy that he was free of all of the bullshit.

1 hour ago, millennium said:

JDM is committing career suicide.  I think a lot of the actors careers are basically over thanks to this show.  Andrew Lincoln is lucky he has that Jethro Tull money coming in because he's ALWAYS going to be Rick Grimes.  MMB didn't have much of a career before so I don't think it will matter either way.  Lennie had a pretty good resume before so he won't have to worry too much.  Norman Reedus also worked a lot before TWD; Daryl is just one of the many greasy, redneck characters he's played.  Danai's fortunate because she's got her theatrical career going and some high-profile films coming up, which is great since Michonne is turning out to be less than the career-making gig it SHOULD have been.  I can't think of the last time that Michonne actually spoke about what SHE wanted or what SHE was feeling.  Michonne is there to prop Rick and an amazing actor is being wasted.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

It would have been cool if some part of Negan's clothing got caught on the doctor so when he threw him in the fire, he'd get dragged in there too. 

Ha ha, like the zipper on his zipped up to his neck pleather jacket!  Or better yet, what if Lucille got dragged in there and King Negan started crying like a baby man?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Scaeva said:

I'm surprised at some of the hate Eugene is getting for saying "I am Negan."

That's totally the smart move, and acting defiant in that situation is only going to get you thrown in the hole and abused like Darryl. Being defiant achieves nothing and is potentially dangerous. And for what? Foolish pride? Better to play the role of submissive prisoner, all the while plotting against Negan or planning an escape. Darryl was an idiot who should have behaved more like Eugene from the start. What has Darryl's defiance accomplished other than getting Glenn killed?

Eugene was also hilarious. I laughed at loud at, "“I've always been Negan. I just needed to meet you properly to know."

I'd be very surprised if Eugene ends up going full Stockholm Syndrome with the Saviors. I think he's going to end up being the Trojan Horse than helps bring the Saviors down from the inside when the inevitable attack from Rick's group finally arrives.

Darryl has grown up a lot since the beginning but he still has so much "fuck you dad!" in him and it never ends well for him or the people who rely on him.

• Love 10

"There's Jason, the guy Alicia Florick let get away."   

Alicia let him get away? Now I'm glad I stopped watching that show when it got way too ridiculous. Eggs smashed on your head as some freaky foreplay, anyone?

33 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Eugene (shaking his head and clutching his jar): 'Well, I was...I was gifted these pickles.'

I was rolling my eyes at that scene, until Eugene walked away with that little smile, when he "got" that he'd pulled the wool over Negan's eyes and his life just improved immeasureably.

• Love 3

Or Dying Denny from Gray's Anatomy.  At least when you're typecast as Spock you can make a career out of conventions.  JDM is typecast as the guy no one ever wants to see again.

• Love 7

He will always be Denny Duquette to me.

• Love 6