Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Michael's Story

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I understand where you're coming from gunderda. However, he goes on to prescribe the exact same guidelines he doles out to each and every one of them: eat only three meals per day, no snacking, and the real kicker for me, they have to follow a low calorie, low carb, AND a low fat diet, the last of which I heard him say on several occasions. Speaking only for myself, there's no way in Hell I would be able to stick to that type of diet; I'd be doomed to fail, especially based on past dieting efforts. If he used the information to tailor an individualized eating and exercise plan for each patient, then his questions would make sense. But he never does. It's the same diet, the same, IMHO, totally useless nutritionists, etc.

ITA with showing a month before the surgery. There was a British show about the same types of people which always included a scene where a kitchen table would be laid out with all the food the person eats in a single day BEFORE any surgical procedures. Great educational and enlightening information for both the patient and the audience.

I believe they would also state exactly how many calories they consume each day, not the usual Dr. Now guesstimate of "he/she is probably eating 30,000 'calorie' a day." Why guess? Why not get the exact information? How hard would it be for the TLC producers to do that? All we get is the obligatory camera shots of the person shoveling massive quantities of food into their mouths from a distance that looks like all of two inches from their face. Oops I forgot, it's another mandatory part of the lazy TLC formula and we just can't mess with that! Way too much effort for The Learning Channel.

but.... that's the diet they need to have AFTER they have the surgery. So of course he's going to tell them that's what they need to do beforehand. You can't eat whatever you want after the surgery.  Certain stuff will make you sick if you eat it after the surgery. He wants them to get used to the diet so they don't cause some major malfunction after the surgery. 

• Love 4

I wish they would show the first week of them adjusting to that diet. They go right to "I'm sticking with the diet" and you really don't see the actual reality of how hard it is. If it were me I would be miserable, whining and complaining. I would be unable to sleep at all for actual hunger pains. I would be going off my rocker. They go from 7,000 to10,000 calories a day to 1200 and they really do not show the first day following this plan and actually how it feels. They have to be starving. Real hunger unlike how this guy said "I had to stop and get fast food because I am starving". It's such a huge adjustment and I would be ripping my hair out. Maybe after they get the diet the film crew leaves until the first weigh-in. I would think this guy was throwing tantrums about how hungry he was. I am truly interested in how the hell they make this drastic switch and they really don't show it. Once in awhile they show a slip up but I always feel like part of the story is missing.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, gunderda said:

but.... that's the diet they need to have AFTER they have the surgery. So of course he's going to tell them that's what they need to do beforehand. You can't eat whatever you want after the surgery.  Certain stuff will make you sick if you eat it after the surgery. He wants them to get used to the diet so they don't cause some major malfunction after the surgery. 

Yes, yes, I have always been totally aware that they have to diet after surgery and that they can't eat whatever they want, as well as that there are certain foods/beverages that will be harmful to them such as carbonated beverages. What I am saying is it's not the fact that they have to diet but that it's always the same diet.

I firmly believe that diets should be individualized to guarantee the maximum benefit/outcome. For instance, some just do better on a low carb, high fat and high protein diet. I am one of those people. It would be disastrous for me to go the low fat, high carb, count every calorie route. Been there, done that, and it just never works for me. Frankly, I can't recall seeing any diet currently out there that mandates low calorie, low carb, AND low fat dieting all together but it might exist. I especially believe that some version of a low carb, high fat and high protein diet is especially helpful to those with a powerful sugar addiction which most of these folks seem to have.

What I am saying is that all of us are different, including the super morbidly obese people featured on this show. Too often, IMHO, the obese are given a one size fits all approach--no pun intended--by the medical community. While I deeply admire Dr. Now and marvel at his skills as a surgeon willing to take on patients no one else will, I take issue with his same diet for every patient approach, especially since they will have to adhere to this way of eating for the rest of their lives. There's a reason, probably many reasons actually, why 95 percent of dieters fail and this, again IMHO, is one of them.

• Love 3

The editing shenanigans were over the top in this episode.  As people have pointed out, we're in the truck.  We're in the car.  He was wearing different shirts in the enthralling stuck in traffic scenes.  Did he get out of the truck to change t-shirts?  In the he must eat his fast food before driving the last five miles (which I seriously think was prompted by production) Roni had already gone to get them checked into the hotel.  Shenanigans!!!!!

In every photo of Roni and Michael they both seemed so serious.  I can't remember one on which they were smiling.  They each claimed there was a time they were happy together.  If they have any photographic evidence of it, they didn't show it. 

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 5

I firmly believe that diets should be individualized to guarantee the maximum benefit/outcome. For instance, some just do better on a low carb, high fat and high protein diet. I am one of those people. It would be disastrous for me to go the low fat, high carb, count every calorie route.

I think what Gunderda was trying to get at was that after the surgery they can't DO high fat.  Eating fat after this type of surgery will only make you sick.  Like throwing up sick.  And they can't eat the carbs, as it's too much fiber, and would also prevent them from getting the protein they need, as their stomachs will only hold a couple of ounces or so.  They don't need carbs anyway, as they have plenty of energy stored up in their excess fat.  And the high protein is to keep their body from depleting their muscles.  These people will never eat "regular" again, which is why this type of surgery is seen as a last resort by most of the medical community.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Azubah said:

they'd each be pretty debilitated for the first several weeks and they would need a third person to go get the pain meds, the protein drinks, etc. 

Chuck who was featured in an episode, his wife had the surgery after him but he was too lazy to help her.

• Love 6

OMG, I'm watching the super sized ep and just saw Dr. Now's wacky, ever-changing sideburns!!  It was during his first visit with Michael  

Also, I wanted smack his wife every time she complained about how big/useless Michael was.  She was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that the 500-lb man she married gained more weight and couldnt work or help around the house. Who coulda guessed that would happen?

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

I think what Gunderda was trying to get at was that after the surgery they can't DO high fat.  Eating fat after this type of surgery will only make you sick.  Like throwing up sick.  And they can't eat the carbs, as it's too much fiber, and would also prevent them from getting the protein they need, as their stomachs will only hold a couple of ounces or so.  They don't need carbs anyway, as they have plenty of energy stored up in their excess fat.  And the high protein is to keep their body from depleting their muscles.  These people will never eat "regular" again, which is why this type of surgery is seen as a last resort by most of the medical community.

Well, just to be clear, I never said that all of these people should eat in any particular way but wondered if it was possible to individualize the diet based on the background information they give him. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is no way to do that. Thanks for the clarification. Also appreciate your information about them not eating a diet high in fat since it would make them sick.

I did say that the low carb, high protein and fat approach works for me and said nothing about it working for everyone.

Also, week after week we see them eating salads comprised of raw vegetables and eating steamed and sauteed vegetables which contain both carbs and fiber, so saying they can't eat carbs/don't need carbs because of fiber is not really accurate given what TLC shows them eating, as prescribed by Dr. Now, post surgery.

What our conversation again highlights for me his how these two hour episodes are squandered when it comes to educating the audience about many aspects of the patients' post-surgical experiences. For instance, what exactly does a week of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners look like on Dr. Now's diet? What exactly are the foods and beverages that can never be consumed? What exactly should they be ordering when they dine out with family and friends? With a two hour format we should be getting answers to all those questions and many, many more on a regular basis. I especially believe this show should be an educational resource for those considering this type of procedure; not the only resource, of course, since anyone considering getting this type of surgery needs to do a lot of research on their own.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
To clarify and add additional comments.
  • Love 7

Yes, I am a vegetarian myself so I often wonder what I could eat under Dr Now's plan. When he talks to them pre surgery he saws no carbs at all and I don't think I could survive on zero carbs. I think having a food plan designed to be individual would be very helpful in losing weight. I know I contacted a nutritionist a few years ago and she said she won't work with vegetarions. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Yes, I am a vegetarian myself so I often wonder what I could eat under Dr Now's plan. When he talks to them pre surgery he saws no carbs at all and I don't think I could survive on zero carbs. I think having a food plan designed to be individual would be very helpful in losing weight. I know I contacted a nutritionist a few years ago and she said she won't work with vegetarions. 

Okay, well then the only thing I could possibly say to that so-called nutritionist Madding crowd is WTF!!!  That's crazy. Hopefully you told him/her the same thing.

Vegetarian foods can be adapted to fit any eating plan--high carb/low fat, Paleo, Whole 30, Weight Watchers, anything. What a close-minded troll.

• Love 5

I saw the last half hour tonight.  Dang.  Roni was wider than Michael at the last doctor's visit.   She wasn't tiny at the start but she definitely looked like she gained.  Her last interview was very telling when she complained that he didn't need her anymore, which was especially funny given we saw her combing his hair and putting it in a ponytail.

Thinking about Michael's hair, I hate the way he slicks it down and pulls it back.  After the seemingly mandatory shower scene, he had towel dried his hair.  He had beautiful large curls.  I covet his hair.  Why hide it?

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

It is nearly impossible to eat zero carbs and I cringe every time I hear him say that.  Its hard, but you could pull off a low carb diet as a veg.  I'm not sure you would be too happy on a low carb AND low fat diet though - you definitely couldn't do that long term.

My surgeon required a two week liquid fast (protein shakes) prior to surgery in order to shrink the liver, which I did.  Post surgery, we had a couple of days of liquids only, then pureed food, then I think we were free to eat regular foods after a month or two, and you were always supposed to eat the protein first.  I was an avid Akins dieter prior to surgery, so I figured I would follow that way of eating after surgery because I believed that fat is not bad for you and its the simple carbs that kill you. HA! Anything high fat that I ate went right through me (as did lettuce and most vegetables).  This was not fun and not without pain!  I also tried to eat just some grilled chicken breast or eggs, NOPE, pain pain pain.  I ended up surviving for months on eating one Laughing Cow cheese wedge and one or two Stacy's Pita Chips (to soak up the acid in my stomach) for every meal.  It was terrible.

• Love 5

No one ever got fat from eating the carbs in vegetables. I tell ya I'm 500 pounds because I binge all day on vegetables! I can't seem to stop eating green beans, I love them! I order out for carrots when my family isn't watching! 

• Love 14
14 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Well, just to be clear, I never said that all of these people should eat in any particular way but wondered if it was possible to individualize the diet based on the background information they give him. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that there is no way to do that. Thanks for the clarification. Also appreciate your information about them not eating a diet high in fat since it would make them sick.

I did say that the low carb, high protein and fat approach works for me and said nothing about it working for everyone.

Also, week after week we see them eating salads comprised of raw vegetables and eating steamed and sauteed vegetables which contain both carbs and fiber, so saying they can't eat carbs/don't need carbs because of fiber is not really accurate given what TLC shows them eating, as prescribed by Dr. Now, post surgery.

What our conversation again highlights for me his how these two hour episodes are squandered when it comes to educating the audience about many aspects of the patients' post-surgical experiences. For instance, what exactly does a week of breakfasts, lunches, and dinners look like on Dr. Now's diet? What exactly are the foods and beverages that can never be consumed? What exactly should they be ordering when they dine out with family and friends? With a two hour format we should be getting answers to all those questions and many, many more on a regular basis. I especially believe this show should be an educational resource for those considering this type of procedure; not the only resource, of course, since anyone considering getting this type of surgery needs to do a lot of research on their own.

I do think the show is an educational resource but not in that respect.  I would suspect the reason they don't tell you what they're eating is because the shock of that would likely stop someone who is thinking of the surgery into saying "YOU ONLY WANT ME TO EAT ONE EGG?!??!  HOW DOES SOMEONE LIVE ON ONE EGG!?!?!?  HELL NO!!!!" 

I believe it's an educational resource in the mental and physical aspects of what has to happen in order for these people to lose weight.  And that the food is actually not really the biggest issue these people will face.  They have to get up and walk, they have to be active, they have to learn other ways of coping with their issues than food.  Making food the center of the show when these people need to stop making it the center of their lives seems counterproductive to me.

It's also educational because a lot of these people are so deep in their addiction that they drag family members into it with them.  How many family members stand there and cry about how they're scared of losing so-and-so only to walk into the room carrying six Hot Pockets slathered in butter.  As well as the unlikable nature of their attitudes during this time.  They are whiny, entitled, and manipulative and in the large number of cases it's hard to feel sorry for them.  But if they do what's asked of them and they stick to doctor's orders they lose the weight and gain their lives back and become people viewers can root for.  Someone watching the show who is in the throes of their addiction might recognize some of that in themselves and decide they can do it because they see someone come out the other side.  

Edited by CaughtOnTape
  • Love 7

We here at PTV have long whined about the lack of details and specifics on this show.  Back when this show first started, we wanted to know WHY THE HELL these people weren't in therapy!  Voila - they've finally started showing that the DO attend therapy, even if we're not allowed to see actual therapy sessions.  But at least they show us fake therapy sessions so that we know there are therapists involved to some degree.  We've complained all along that we want to see details of diets, both before and after the surgery.  I'm hoping that might show up next season, if we get one.  I'd love to know that patient X was able to eat eggs at month Y after the surgery, but patient z was still having problems with solid food at month Y + 3 months.  Or that one patient could handle eating lettuce, but another patient had problems with leafy greens.  Or that one patient could only handle 3 ounces of food at a time, while another patient could eat 4 or 5 ounces.  Exactly what is on the sacred diet sheet that Dr. Now gives them?  How do they know when they can go off liquids and start with solids?  What kind of solids first?  And then next? 

So many questions, so few answers.

• Love 2

I was a bit puzzled at the wife's comment that she fell in love with Michael because of his "caring heart" or some such, but that he basically sat and berated and bullied his entire family all day.  I'm sure he had been doing that at 500 lbs when they met.  

The really phony narrative comments on this show drive me nuts.  "In order to start your life journey, you have to be able to take the first step."  "To be able to have a future, you first must be able to face your past."  They are always READ by the super obese person and usually in a flat, "I don't know what this really means" tone, while somber, thought-provoking music plays.  Michael did a lot of scripted reading in this episode.  At the end, it was so repetitive: "I'm doing this for my family. I love my family. I am going to keep working and making progress. I am so happy I can now be active in my life. I love my family."  That stuff alone takes up 15 minutes of airtime.

I agree, the nutritional aspect of weight loss before and after surgery would be interesting. There have been shows where a dietitian shows up at the house and goes through the cabinets and refrigerator. That would be interesting (especially at Michael's house, where he apparently is sitting atop a candy stash in his couch cushions).  And as for the "no carb" diet- you really cannot eat zero carbs.  Vegetables are mostly carbohydrate; I'm sure what Dr. N means is no starchy foods.  Carbs in beans are much  healthier than carbs in cake.

I think one of the most fascinating things about this show is Dr. Now's voice.  He sounds like a cute little troll.  "Michael must face his problem before he hit a wall and start eating ay-gain.""You need to lose fifty pound in one munt. Den I will consider you for weight loss SURgery."

Edited by KateHearts
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

It is nearly impossible to eat zero carbs and I cringe every time I hear him say that.  Its hard, but you could pull off a low carb diet as a veg.  I'm not sure you would be too happy on a low carb AND low fat diet though - you definitely couldn't do that long term.

My surgeon required a two week liquid fast (protein shakes) prior to surgery in order to shrink the liver, which I did.  Post surgery, we had a couple of days of liquids only, then pureed food, then I think we were free to eat regular foods after a month or two, and you were always supposed to eat the protein first.  I was an avid Akins dieter prior to surgery, so I figured I would follow that way of eating after surgery because I believed that fat is not bad for you and its the simple carbs that kill you. HA! Anything high fat that I ate went right through me (as did lettuce and most vegetables).  This was not fun and not without pain!  I also tried to eat just some grilled chicken breast or eggs, NOPE, pain pain pain.  I ended up surviving for months on eating one Laughing Cow cheese wedge and one or two Stacy's Pita Chips (to soak up the acid in my stomach) for every meal.  It was terrible.

Thanks for sharing your story. I have been afraid of gastric surgery for a couple of reasons one being that I have a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux and I am afraid it will get  worse. Also, my niece's mother in law had gastric bypass about five years ago. She went from obese but working full time and living her life, to someone who has been hospitalized so many times we lost count. Her skin is grey colored and she no longer can work. She is unable to eat almost anything and stopped going to parties, out for meals, coffee dates etc because she either gets sick or has to explain to people she is unable to eat.

2 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I was a bit puzzled at the wife's comment that she fell in love with Michael because of his "caring heart" or some such, but that he basically sat and berated and bullied his entire family all day.  I'm sure he had been doing that at 500 lbs when they met.  

The really phony narrative comments on this show drive me nuts.  "In order to start your life journey, you have to be able to take the first step."  "To be able to have a future, you first must be able to face your past."  They are always READ by the super obese person and usually in a flat, "I don't know what this really means" tone, while somber, thought-provoking music plays.  Michael did a lot of scripted reading in this episode.  At the end, it was so repetitive: "I'm doing this for my family. I love my family. I am going to keep working and making progress. I am so happy I can now be active in my life. I love my family."  That stuff alone takes up 15 minutes of airtime.

I agree, the nutritional aspect of weight loss before and after surgery would be interesting. There have been shows where a dietitian shows up at the house and goes through the cabinets and refrigerator. That would be interesting (especially at Michael's house, where he apparently is sitting atop a candy stash in his couch cushions).  And as for the "no carb" diet- you really cannot eat zero carbs.  Vegetables are mostly carbohydrate; I'm sure what Dr. N means is no starchy foods.  Carbs in beans are much  healthier than carbs in cake.

I think one of the most fascinating things about this show is Dr. Now's voice.  He sounds like a cute little troll.  "Michael must face his problem before he hit a wall and start eating ay-gain.""You need to lose fifty pound in one munt. Den I will consider you for weight loss SURgery."

I know that vegetables and beans are healthy than cake. However, when Dr. Now just says No carbs at all and doesn't explain what it means, how are we (or the patient) supposed to know it means healthy carbs are ok? Why doesn't he just say that? I also find it really annoying when he assigns a weight loss of 50 pounds and then is annoyed when a person loses 46 or even 30. People lose weight at different rates, even obese people. It would be better if they were filling out food logs, demonstrated some weight loss (I'm not talking 5 pounds),  filling out an activity log if possible and met weekly with a nutritionist. Assigning an arbitrary number seems like just a way to delay the surgery. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 8

Does it bother anyone else when the spouses eat crap food in front of the person who's just had weight loss surgery? "Hey, let's all go out for fast food even though dad/mom can't have any!" RUDE!! That's like taking an alcoholic to a bar and drinking in front of them. 

The wife was especially unlikeable at the Italian restaurant because it looks like she could stand to adopt better eating habits herself. I get that occasional indulgences are ok, but that plate of food was huge. Better choice would've been big salad, little entree. 

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

Does it bother anyone else when the spouses eat crap food in front of the person who's just had weight loss surgery? "Hey, let's all go out for fast food even though dad/mom can't have any!" RUDE!! That's like taking an alcoholic to a bar and drinking in front of them. 

The wife was especially unlikeable at the Italian restaurant because it looks like she could stand to adopt better eating habits herself. I get that occasional indulgences are ok, but that plate of food was huge. Better choice would've been big salad, little entree. 

I was confused that she was like "I've wanted to go to this Italian place forever, yay, he's finally taking me!" Lady, massively-portioned Italian food doesn't really fit his new diet. Why didn't she take her kids? Or some friends? Nobody was stopping her from trying the Italian place with *other people.* My husband doesn't like going to the fancy place downtown, so guess what, I can go with my friends or by myself. I found it interesting how Michael and his wife had kind of switched places by the end of the episode, and she was the one who had to sit down all the time and miss out on life. She even said Michael was annoying her because he had more energy. I wonder if any self-awareness will set in with that one.

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, GussieK said:

This may seem really mean, but what was up with his hair?  First, all the grease?  And the hairline looked like he had undergone implants! 

Looked like some heavy-duty product added, then severely combed straight back so you could see the comb marks. Not attractive.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, GussieK said:

This may seem really mean, but what was up with his hair?  First, all the grease?  And the hairline looked like he had undergone implants! 

If Michael would've ditched all that hair oil, he would've lost another couple of pounds. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, KateHearts said:

And as for the "no carb" diet- you really cannot eat zero carbs.  Vegetables are mostly carbohydrate; I'm sure what Dr. N means is no starchy foods.  Carbs in beans are much  healthier than carbs in cake.

Yes, I took "no carbs" to mean no *simple* carbohydrates - the refined ones, like sugar and white flour, and even some naturally occurring ones like corn and potatoes.

Complex carbs, like those in vegetables and whole wheat and brown rice, are far less damaging and even beneficial in normal amounts. Wish the show would point this out. The patients and their families seem utterly clueless about this difference in carbohydrates.

I especially like, "eating habit" and "too many calorie." And I really do not mean to make fun of Dr. Now. English is a second language for him (how many languages do I speak? Still working on 1, lol) and he is willing to take on the most hopeless patients that most other doctors won't touch. He's proven that these grossly obese patients can tolerate surgery and has turned many lives around. He can say "too many calorie" all he wants, lol.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

YES. I recently watched the followup on Ashley with the horrible mom. She was worse than most as she literally taunted Ashley about not being able to eat certain things AND laughed as she recounted it all to others. 

If family and friends want to continue indulging, fine, but do it elsewhere. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, okerry said:

I especially like, "eating habit" and "too many calorie." And I really do not mean to make fun of Dr. Now. English is a second language for him (how many languages do I speak? Still working on 1, lol) and he is willing to take on the most hopeless patients that most other doctors won't touch. He's proven that these grossly obese patients can tolerate surgery and has turned many lives around. He can say "too many calorie" all he wants, lol.

^^^^This. I think he's been a pioneer in being willing to take these super morbidly obese patients that no other surgeons would. I'd like to think that since he's developed his practice, there are now other surgeons willing to take on some of these patients, but maybe it's just wishful thinking. 

I'm sure we will never hear of them, but there have to be people who got up to these 500+ pound weights, and died way too young from conditions related to or aggravated by their super morbid obesity. Maybe some of them could have turned their health around with the assistance of a bariatric surgeon.

One reason I get aggravated by some of the patients/families on this show, is that I believe that so many of them are closer to death than they realize - and yet they are still living in their addictions/dysfunctions/bad habits/whatever. And if they made the cut to get on the show, they have literally been thrown a lifeline. On some level I think most of them realize it, hence their making those often painful and/or humiliating journeys to Houston. But their various addictions and psychological issues (and sometimes general ignorance, sorry but I think so) are so strong they still flounder around. Saying fuckwit things like "I know my own body," and "I'm trying to eat better" and "But I'm so hungry". And for most of them continuing to act out their dysfunctional relationships with their feeders. 

• Love 2

Looked like some heavy-duty product added, then severely combed straight back so you could see the comb marks. Not attractive.

I really liked his curly hair right after he got out of the shower.  My husband has hair like that, but he wears it loud and proud and he doesn't slick it back (unless its under a hat).

• Love 2

It always amazes me how fast these people shovel their food down. Michael was inhaling the mexican food, especially the frijoles. I also mused about the tats and how they would change. His moobs were massive. Also, his hair looked MUCH better before he took handfuls of gel to it.

Edited by peaceknit
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

^^^^This. I think he's been a pioneer in being willing to take these super morbidly obese patients that no other surgeons would. I'd like to think that since he's developed his practice, there are now other surgeons willing to take on some of these patients, but maybe it's just wishful thinking. 

I'm sure we will never hear of them, but there have to be people who got up to these 500+ pound weights, and died way too young from conditions related to or aggravated by their super morbid obesity. Maybe some of them could have turned their health around with the assistance of a bariatric surgeon.

One reason I get aggravated by some of the patients/families on this show, is that I believe that so many of them are closer to death than they realize - and yet they are still living in their addictions/dysfunctions/bad habits/whatever. And if they made the cut to get on the show, they have literally been thrown a lifeline. On some level I think most of them realize it, hence their making those often painful and/or humiliating journeys to Houston. But their various addictions and psychological issues (and sometimes general ignorance, sorry but I think so) are so strong they still flounder around. Saying fuckwit things like "I know my own body," and "I'm trying to eat better" and "But I'm so hungry". And for most of them continuing to act out their dysfunctional relationships with their feeders. 

Yes, I do believe that Dr Now is a pioneer, but I also agree that more doctors have been willing to take on bigger patients.  I know my surgeon would.  I'm not sure if he would take an 800 pounder, but I do know that he will take people on as patients and require people to lose weight so he can safely perform the surgery, JUST LIKE DR. NOW.  The only difference is that he lets (makes? asks?) the patients to take one of the newer weight loss drugs, like Belviq, and doesn't seem to play games with them.  I'm not saying this is 100% the right thing to do, as we all have to "learn how to eat correctly" but this would definitely save someones life while they "learn."  

So like I said, Dr. Now is the pioneer and the best of the best, but why the hell would you face the humiliation and potentially deadly travel cross country just to be on this show when the surgery is covered by your insurance anyway and the show only pays you like $4,000 to be on it (per a Facebook group that former participants are on) and if you tried hard enough, you could find your own doctor?  Having the best of the best surgeons is nice, but once the operation is complete, you are on your own and not even the best surgeon in the world can save you from yourself.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, vmcd88 said:

It was crazy how the wife kept talking about her husband as if he were the only obese person.  The wife had to be at least 350 pounds herself. 

Im still mystified why she wouldnt take this opportunity to lose some weight herself. by the end of the episode she looked way larger than he did. That was ridiculous what she ordered at dinner--I wonder if she has any self awareness-she marries a guy who is 500 lbs and is pissed that hes overweight???

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Thanks for sharing your story. I have been afraid of gastric surgery for a couple of reasons one being that I have a hiatal hernia and severe acid reflux and I am afraid it will get  worse. Also, my niece's mother in law had gastric bypass about five years ago. She went from obese but working full time and living her life, to someone who has been hospitalized so many times we lost count. Her skin is grey colored and she no longer can work. She is unable to eat almost anything and stopped going to parties, out for meals, coffee dates etc because she either gets sick or has to explain to people she is unable to eat.

I backed out for similar reasons (no hiatal hernia, reflux, tho) - after being on a sleeve page for months, I just saw too many people who had continuing problems. I've been able to lose weight on my own (slowly tho) and will just keep at it. Plus, I learned that the longer you're diabetic, the less likely it is that the surgery will get rid of it (which was the whole idea) and that blacks don't lose the weight that others do. I didn't have as much to lose as most people on the board, and after the initial few visits, I decided against it.

I was following a woman on YT who was about 4-500 lbs. When I started following her, she was doing Atkins, which I was thinking about at the time. She finally decided to have the surgery, but went to Mexico for it and paid cash.  Well, for the past few years this poor woman has been in and out of the hospital with various problems; and I don't think she lost as much weight as I've seen others lose.

I recently learned that she died just before Christmas, leaving a husband and children. She had a large following and was pretty open about her ups and downs. I kept thinking that she believed this would be her magic bullet, but it turned out tragically for her. 

Obviously the surgery works for many, but we don't see too many of the hard stories. I didn't want to be another one of them.

• Love 6
On 2/23/2017 at 3:04 PM, operalover said:

It's such a huge adjustment and I would be ripping my hair out. Maybe after they get the diet the film crew leaves until the first weigh-in. I would think this guy was throwing tantrums about how hungry he was. I am truly interested in how the hell they make this drastic switch and they really don't show it. Once in awhile they show a slip up but I always feel like part of the story is missing.

Yup. I always think that no one in Dr Now's place knows about volumetrics. These people could have a piece of meat (if that is thier thing) and a huge salad or a bunch of green veg. I'm talking a huge salad, with balsamic vinegar dressing. Or they could break up the salad and have some a couple of hours later if hungry. How about a nice omelet with large sides of tomatoes and mushrooms, which would be filling and have very low calories? They would feel full, tho I'm sure there would still be difficulties when people are used to eating 30,000 cals a day. 

I remember seeing Melissa in one of the 'where are they now' shows, sadly eating a container of cottage cheese while the kids stuffed themselves.  Why not have a bunch of broccoli or other veg, or a big veg salad and the stupid cottage cheese?  I think that, having been deprived of the food they like, they never develop a joy in food and a pleasure in eating the many new foods that would not cause them to regain the weight. I find it kinda sad. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, aliya said:

Yup. I always think that no one in Dr Now's place knows about volumetrics. These people could have a piece of meat (if that is thier thing) and a huge salad or a bunch of green veg. I'm talking a huge salad, with balsamic vinegar dressing. Or they could break up the salad and have some a couple of hours later if hungry. How about a nice omelet with large sides of tomatoes and mushrooms, which would be filling and have very low calories? They would feel full, tho I'm sure there would still be difficulties when people are used to eating 30,000 cals a day. 

I remember seeing Melissa in one of the 'where are they now' shows, sadly eating a container of cottage cheese while the kids stuffed themselves.  Why not have a bunch of broccoli or other veg, or a big veg salad and the stupid cottage cheese?  I think that, having been deprived of the food they like, they never develop a joy in food and a pleasure in eating the many new foods that would not cause them to regain the weight. I find it kinda sad. 

I just saw this episode, too, and it has been bothering me. She was eating that cottage cheese and said "I can't ask my family to eat what I have to eat," and it made me nuts. Yes, you CAN DECREE that; you are the mom. You are not a short-order cook. For everyone's benefit, educate your family about nutrition! Simplify your life while you're at it by making ONE meal for your growing family. If your kids gripe, feel freee to quote my late mom: "You'll eat it or wear it." OK, she said that ONCE, after slaving o re something special. But seriously, require your kids to taste each new item before rejecting it. They may surprise you. Figure out healthy versions of stuff kids typically like. At the very, very least, seriously reduce the portions of all that CRAP they were eating. And for heaven's sake, change your mindset and stop regarding healthful food as punishment!

Aliya, your post illustrates creative ideas for feeling full and not deprived, once the post-surgery person can eat solid food. There are tons of salt-free seasonings to pep things up. I realize this is a huge change for someone who has been living on pizza and fast food, but it seems like so many do not even have a tiny clue that this is possible and necessary to their survival. It has to be some weird kind of denial; so many seem to feel that Dr Now never told them a thing about what to eat. But they don't call him to ask for clarification? They don't do any online research about basic nutrition or gastric surgery in general? Ridiculous. 

• Love 5

Did anyone else find it odd that in every picture of Michael and his wife, they didn't smile?  Are they gang members, or were they former gang members, or what?  I always equate those unsmiling, tough thug like pictures with gang mentality. But I'm 51, so I'm not as hip as I used to be. They always looked so unhappy.  But in Michael's earlier pictures (like around 6-8), he looked so happy.

• Love 4

Would love to follow a Dr. Now patient on the way home after being approved for surgery. Think they hit the fast food drive through one last time?  Roni seems to be one of those women who would tie herself to any man, even one she and her children wait on hand and foot just so she isn't alone. Sad. 

• Love 4

My DVR set for next week shows the episode will be 3 hours long but it is including skin removal surgery for 2 patients. I don't think I recognize the names, are they all originally patients from the 600 lb life or are they other patients from Dr. Now's practice? I do remember a series called Skin Tight and I don't think it was the same group of people who we've already seen. Though 3 hours is going to take me a couple of days to watch all of it.

Finally watching Michael's Story. Roni had no idea how much this 500-lb man ate to maintain 500 lbs until she moved in with him. She has some issues, too. 

I want to thank my late mom and dad for teaching me boundaries and instilling self-esteem. I cook a healthy dinner for this nasty dude and he throws a fit? After he retrieves it from his rectum, he can figure out a way to feed his damn self.

(My actual husband, healthy and fit, had unknown cardiac issues and 4 years ago almost had a heart attack. He now has six stents and a new way of eating. We revamped our habits and how we stock the kitchen because that is what you do. Luckily he is a psychologically healthy adult who does not want to die, and takes responsibility for what he eats. But I promise you, if he resisted MY efforts to help, he would be SOL. Eat it or wear it, to quote my late mom. You know where the kitchen is.

Of course I do recognize that he doesn't have the psychological issues of a Michael. And I guess I am no Roni-style enabler. But COME ON. Assigning his stepkids to dress his wounds, etc? NO.)

• Love 6

For those of you who mentioned acid reflux there is a great new book out- this guy is NOT A QUACK- I heard him on Doctor Radio and WOW lots of great insight into acid reflux- its called Acid Watcher Diet by Johnathon Aviv Ive ordered it , it has 4.9 stars on amazon.  28 days to a cure - it might be worth to try to stick to a diet for 28 days- if all these people on my 600 pound life can do it, so can I! even if you think you know everything about acid reflux, he had a few excellent tips Id never heard of over all these years with it. Anyway I bet all these people on this show have it. I also should go burn in hell because I though I could not imagine the size and stench of Michael's Bowel Movements. I mean did you see a regular breakfast for him? Holy moly! Then he said the whole time he is eating breakfast, he is thinking about what is for lunch. 

• Love 3
On 2/22/2017 at 6:36 PM, Maggienolia said:

This therapist is THE most annoying! Why do they keep sending people to her? No affect, little girl voice minus any inflection. Ugh. 

I do think she is insightful and helpful but the little-girl voice when greeting people seems really condescending to me. I am sure it is meant to be non-threatening and welcoming, but for me it's just too cutesy-pie. But again, I think she is pretty sharp. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

Did anyone else find it odd that in every picture of Michael and his wife, they didn't smile?  Are they gang members, or were they former gang members, or what?  I always equate those unsmiling, tough thug like pictures with gang mentality. But I'm 51, so I'm not as hip as I used to be. They always looked so unhappy.  But in Michael's earlier pictures (like around 6-8), he looked so happy.

Roni had a job back home and Michael got hired by a taxi fleet. Doesn't sound like gang life to me. I think the lack of smiles just showed how miserable they were with the trajectory of their lives. We did see some smiles from him and the kids at least as life got better.

But Roni still has work to do because she is getting left behind and now she needs motivation to improve her own physical health. She seems confused about life now that "he doesn't need me."  Bummer, because they should be starting to have fun now, like Michael and the kids are  instead she just wants to eat and whine.

2 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 4
On 2/24/2017 at 1:37 PM, Madding crowd said:

I know that vegetables and beans are healthy than cake. However, when Dr. Now just says No carbs at all and doesn't explain what it means, how are we (or the patient) supposed to know it means healthy carbs are ok? Why doesn't he just say that? I also find it really annoying when he assigns a weight loss of 50 pounds and then is annoyed when a person loses 46 or even 30. 

There was one episode where a patient asked if she could eat strawberries - just a few a day. And he said no. No. Carbs. I don't know why either. No sugary drinks, candy, potato chips, etc. Yeah, duh. But even a piece of fruit or some black beans (in a reasonable portion) doesn't seem that big of a deal. It must have something to do with prepping the body either for surgery in the "shrink the liver" strategy that has been mentioned before or in a "you're about to have everything re-routed in there causing an incredible amount of trauma to your body" kind of way. My SIL had gastric bypass years ago (before she met/married into our family) and she apparently lost a large amount of weight but never reached her "goal" weight (or if she did her goal weight is still way above what would be considered healthy or height/weight proportionate), she doesn't seem to eat much at all though (or at least when there are people around) and she's talked about certain foods -red meat in particular- that will make her sick (throwing up sick). She drinks a fair amount of coffee and carbonated diet drinks which Dr. Now tells patients to stay away from. I don't know if this is something she's reintroduced into her diet over time or not though. 

All this to say - I'd like to see more about the diets (pre- and post-) and the reasons and rationales behind the various restrictions. 

• Love 2

Roni said in the beginning that she had tried to start offering healthier options for both of them but Michael's temper flared. I wonder if she was so used to giving up it may just not be easy for her to realize it's possible now. She also seemed to have a lot to deal with given his temper & might be self placating a bit food-wise herself just to live with him.

I know she quit her job when he started working but I do hope she continues in the schooling the enhanced version said she was doing. She needs something for herself especially if he doesn't change. He wasn't making great choices in the restaurant at the end either; not too encouraging.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, Ocean Chick said:

I'm hoping that might show up next season, if we get one. 

Just finished watching "Michael's episode on MSPL.  I saw it in two parts, the whole moving/driving I-10 was overkill, I fell asleep the first time watching it. (Now with the 2 hour format, I just DVD the shows, there are at least 4-5 minutes of commercial breaks; much easier to watch for me this way).  Once again the typical TLC MSPL script that we've all come to know and love have become very bored by.  Michael was really unlikeable, I was surprised/impressed with his 180 turnabout, would like to know (if/when) they do a follow-up he and (Rica) Roni are still married.

Dunno about her, she was odd.  First, I was a little puzzled by her being attracted to someone that was 500 lbs. when they met. Perhaps it was "any port in the storm for her after being divorced and having two kids".   The more he lost the more his wife gained/ate.  Perhaps in some passive aggressive way she "enjoyed" her role of being the whiney breadwinner, the one that "carried" her family while they were living in AZ.  After Michael got serious about his weight loss, she seemed to become more sullen/depressed.  I hope that if they're still going to counseling that this may be addressed.  Like a few have mentioned, she probably weighed almost as much as Michael at his 12 month weigh in.  Maybe we will see a "couples" MSPL.   Just out of curiosity, I took a stroll over to the TLC website and checked, they're actively searching for participants for the show (see below)

Are you or someone you love struggling at an extreme weight over 600 pounds?'My 600-LB Life' follows the lives of real people suffering from super morbid obesity that embark on a year-long journey to regain their health. If approved they receive gastric bypass surgery. Each episode tells the powerful story of one super obese individual. Many are home-bound, relying on family care just to live day to day. They make the courageous decision to save their lives and change their world forever.

So Ocean Chick it looks like TLC is planning yet for another season, perhaps "someone" at TLC checks these forums out (wink) and might incorporate some of our suggestions into future episodes.  If they're sticking with the 2 hour format, I certainly hope so. 

• Love 4

Did he ever interact with his daughter?  All the way through the episode he kept talking about wanting to be there for his son, do things with his son, but I never noticed him having any interest in his daughter.  Didn't they say she was working 2 jobs to help support the family? 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I do think she is insightful and helpful but the little-girl voice when greeting people seems really condescending to me. I am sure it is meant to be non-threatening and welcoming, but for me it's just too cutesy-pie. But again, I think she is pretty sharp. 

That voice reminds me of the Zaz from Hoarders.

• Love 2

Okay, this may be considered "off topic" but what was up with his hair? I found it so distracting. The extreme slicked back look. His hairline looked like it had been tattooed in and was it the lighting or was his hair way thin like there was a lot of hair loss on the top and crown of his head? It was def not a flattering look. Even less flattering (at any weight) was his attitude and anger issues. I hope he continues with the therapy and is able to work those out. The anger flares will really hurt his family and their relationships with him but also, carrying around so much anger inside just waiting to go off isn't healthy either. I was really surprised he was able to get on board and lose the weight. Good for him but there's a whole lot messed up in that family that could really turn it back down a less successful path.

• Love 3