Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: The Son Also Rises

Deadly attacks on a team of scientists lead Nick, Hank and Wu on a investigation unlike any they have had before. Meanwhile, as the research continues into the origins of the cloth, Monroe and Rosalee learn that Eve is still feeling the after effects of the death grip. Elsewhere, Capt. Renard reaches out to an old friend to get answers to the origins of the symbols drawn by Diana.

I'm sure happy it was Hank + Wu-centric, and Monroe had a very Monroe dream, because Frankenstein stories aren't my thing, and I sure don't need to see Nick torn between two lovers.  I loved all of Wu's reactions, and I think he and Hank actually work better without Nick.  Diana being at the center of something bad, I think we figured that one out from her origins. 

• Love 6

While I enjoyed the Hank/Wu team up this one was a little too on the nose. Victor Shelly? Really show? Could you maybe have tried to not be so heavy handed?

Renard speaking Russian was good, Sash Roiz is very good with accents and languages.

I didn't care for the Monroe dream or any of the Nick/Juliette stuff. I just want to get to the finale, what is with the stick? What is with the mirror dude? At this point everything else is just filler

• Love 5

Another filler episode. Victor. Shelley. Franken-Wesen. Whatever.

I like team Hank and Wu but I wish they would get along with the main story of the stick, monster in the mirror, Eve/Juliette, what bad thing is coming, etc...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I didn't care for the Monroe dream or any of the Nick/Juliette stuff. I just want to get to the finale, what is with the stick? What is with the mirror dude? At this point everything else is just filler

Agreed. They have too many unfinished storylines going to add in the idiotic love triangle angle. We still don't know all there is to know about the stick, the symbols on the cloth, what remains of Black Claw, the Death Grip and wherever the hell Truble is with what's left of HW. I could care less who Nick is sleeping with at the end of the series or the filler Wesen of the Week stories. Wrap things up with some answers.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

I could care less who Nick is sleeping with at the end of the series or the filler Wesen of the Week stories. Wrap things up with some answers.

Me too. However, those flashbacks gave me a weird idea. I'm now thinking that Juliette and Nick will die at the end of the show. Something to do with both dying and being brought back to life by the stick. 

• Love 2

I guess I've moved on from this show, I forgot, again until 20 minutes in. But with Monroe's dream, I started wondering if Wessen go to human ob/gyn doctors or if they have their own? Wouldn't birth be a rather traumatic thing and couldn't that maybe create a Woge in the baby or the mother? I seem to remember something about Woges not happening until puberty but was that all Wessen or just certain ones? And if a baby woged at birth, would that cause a freak out in the delivery room from human medical staff? Glad to know Rosalee's only having 3, not 6 or 8!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Me too. However, those flashbacks gave me a weird idea. I'm now thinking that Juliette and Nick will die at the end of the show. Something to do with both dying and being brought back to life by the stick. 

Ugh; I sure hope not. What a way to go ending a lackluster two seasons with a depressing ending. Which would probably end with a flashback to the future with baby Kelly taking up the mantle as Portland's new Grimm :(

I actually didn't like this episode.   I like Hank and Wu, but why was Nick not working the case?   Oh right, he was off doing his own thing.   Then Monroe and Rosalee were kinda doing their own thing.   None of it hung together.   It was basically 3 separate stories with little to no interaction between the characters across the stories.  I was actually thinking I might not make it to the end.   Which is sad for a show used to be appointment tv.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I guess I've moved on from this show, I forgot, again until 20 minutes in. But with Monroe's dream, I started wondering if Wessen go to human ob/gyn doctors or if they have their own? Wouldn't birth be a rather traumatic thing and couldn't that maybe create a Woge in the baby or the mother? I seem to remember something about Woges not happening until puberty but was that all Wessen or just certain ones? And if a baby woged at birth, would that cause a freak out in the delivery room from human medical staff? Glad to know Rosalee's only having 3, not 6 or 8!

In the season 4 episode, Bad Luck, Rosalee mentions that there are 3 wesen Ob/Gyn doctors in Portland.

Except for Diana's miraculous natal powers, they've pretty much concretely established that wesen start woging in puberty, so much so that Kallikantzaroi is a specific wesen disorder during puberty.

• Love 4

Always enjoy seeing Hank and Wu team up, but the case wasn't that interesting.  I can get behind the idea of doing their own take on Frankenstein, but this was too on the nose, and I saw the resolution coming a mile away.

Also, the way they took Nick out of the picture was lame.  Basically, he spent the entire episode at Eve's beside and mooning over her (and remembering the good times.  Like when she killed his aunt.  And almost killed him!)  They really are going to push a love triangle at the end, aren't they?  I'm still putting money down on the pairing involving a real-life married couple.  Sorry, Adalind!

I kind of doze off during the Renard stuff.  Basically, it sounds like Diana is into some dangerous stuff?  Kind of already knew that.

Monroe's dream was... goofy.

Yeah, after last week, this was a downgrade.  I still feel like their is lack of urgency despite this being the final season.

• Love 2

This was kinda done in the X Files' Post-Modern Prometheus.

A Nick-lite ep. Wonder if this was before the actor playing him directed an ep and was a way for him to have some extra time.

Wu and Hank made a good pair.

I could understand a bit of Renard's Russian, which had some Ukrainian in it. Or maybe it's just that there is now a lot more Russian in the Ukrainian language. Something wicked this way is coming. At least he is interested and probably will be of some assistance towards the show's endgame.

Monroe's bad dream was funny - as Rosalee just jumped to being whatever at the end of her gestation period and the triplets were almost septuplets or octuplets. A huge litter. Really should have been more of an er, mess. But it's just a dream.

Who's the dude in the mirror? Does he come with apples and tell someone she's the fairest of them all?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

Like when she killed his aunt.  

Adalind killed Nick's aunt, Marie. Juliette killed his mother, Kelly.

The only non-filler part of the episode was Renard and his chat in Russian with someone in Siberia (?). I wish there had been a bit more of that.

Adalind tried to kill Nick's aunt (on Renard's orders) but wasn't successful, IIRC.  Nick recognized her at the last minute and stopped her.

I dvr'd the episode and ended up FF'ing through all the Nick/Juliette-Eve parts.  Still don't think there's going to be any triangle based on things the showrunners and Claire Coffee have said in interviews.  I think things are being set up for Nick and J/E to have proper closure on their past relationship and that's it.  It's hard to really get past your mom's head in a box.

While a Hank/Wu team up was nice, I just wasn't interested in the Wesen of the week storyline. I can't believe that they're wasting so many episodes on stuff that ultimately doesn't have any carry-over value when there are only 13 episodes to play with.  Snooze.

Monroe's nightmare of Rosalee birthing a litter was the only highlight.

Not a very interesting episode, Frankenstein has been done to death. I also thought that whole Renard/mysterious European woman conversation was stupid "something big is coming, probably bad", she was like every bad Gypsy fortune teller without the costume.

4 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Another filler episode. Victor. Shelley. Franken-Wesen. Whatever.

I like team Hank and Wu but I wish they would get along with the main story of the stick, monster in the mirror, Eve/Juliette, what bad thing is coming, etc...

I think they're just going to give us fillers until they get to the last few episodes, then they'll try to cram everything in, which will suck. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I actually didn't like this episode.   I like Hank and Wu, but why was Nick not working the case?   Oh right, he was off doing his own thing sitting next to Eve's bed.  

Fixed that for you!

Seriously, I can't believe that all Nick did for the entire episode was sit there staring at Eve and remembering the good times like when Juliette died. Like I'm supposed to feel bad that Trubel shot her with an arrow after Juliette burned down the trailer, killed his mom, and betrayed him? Sorry, but no. It just reminded me why I have no interest in Eve or Juliette.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

I'm also kinda' bored and waiting for the end.

The mirror/Eve's identity thing is a bit much, though, particularly remembering that huge psychedelic flooring plotline. I know she isn't the best actress, but do we have to again? Just hint at the turmoil with a few words and move on. Maybe give ten minutes to Monroe assembling a three baby crib.

I want to comment more, really I do, but I'm having trouble whipping up much interest. It is really too bad about this show.

• Love 2

Things that I liked about this episode:

1) My sexy pants Renard!

2) Hank/Wu and Monroe/Rosalie.

I hate Juliette and the other uber special snowflake, Diana.  So, I am going to grit my teeth and try not to RME's too hard at their continued involvement with the show.

Grimm continued with the WoTW stories during s4 and s5 instead of having team Grimm and Renard all focusing on the Royal's, BC and HW.  Season 6 only had 13 episodes and it would have served the show (IMO) and its fans to put together a cohesive story arc that wrapped up the entire show, if possible.

• Love 1

There are only five more episodes to go so it's hard to believe they're wasting our time on these pedestrian crime-of-the-week stories. There has been so much filler this season it's ridiculous. 

I can't make heads or tails out of where the hell they're going with these symbols and how they plan to wrap up this show. What is it with this upcoming event the symbols foretell? What's going to happen that day? Are all the potential Grimms going to be activated, a la the Buffy series finale? Are all the Wesen going to turn into their animal forms? Or turn human? Honestly, I have no idea where they're going with this, and I wish they'd start giving us more info on that and spend less time on coming up with yet another Wesen monster murder.

Given the history of this show I have no confidence whatsoever the will actually end this show with any kind of closure. Wouldn't surprise me if they end it all on a big old cliff-hanger.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There are only five more episodes to go so it's hard to believe they're wasting our time on these pedestrian crime-of-the-week stories. There has been so much filler this season it's ridiculous. 

I can't make heads or tails out of where the hell they're going with these symbols and how they plan to wrap up this show. What is it with this upcoming event the symbols foretell? What's going to happen that day?

My guess, in the last five minutes, after the last Wesen of the week case is solved, the Earth explodes. Portland is saved by Diana, who rules over it in a mostly benevolent fashion, only occasionally wishing folks into the cornfield.

• Love 4

The Wu/Hank scenes were great and the dialogue for them was fun.  So that was enjoyable.

All the heavily telegraphed Frankenstein stuff, OTOH, was ridiculous and not in a good way.  Unoriginal and filler to boot.  No bueno.

With only a few episodes to go, they sure are stalling about actually revealing anything about Mirror Skeletor and the tunnel symbols.  I guess we're supposed to be impressed that some Russian contact of Renard's tells him that the symbols are worse than "bad" and Diana is involved.  Ooooh!  I feel the chills running up and down my spine - not!  I already got that message - tell me something I didn't know, Show!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I can't make heads or tails out of where the hell they're going with these symbols and how they plan to wrap up this show. What is it with this upcoming event the symbols foretell? What's going to happen that day? Are all the potential Grimms going to be activated, a la the Buffy series finale? Are all the Wesen going to turn into their animal forms? Or turn human? Honestly, I have no idea where they're going with this, and I wish they'd start giving us more info on that and spend less time on coming up with yet another Wesen monster murder.

What if all of the Wesen are revealed? Maybe they aren't locked into their Vogue but, maybe they all fully Vogue during the Event and humans everywhere see them?

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

I'm sorry, but I got violently ill during this episode. Like, seriously, show? SERIOUSLY? You included amidst poor, dying, COUGH, COUGH...bad acting..comically swooning Juliette  NICK'S MOM'S HEAD IN A BOX? Like, if you're trying to make me feel sorry for her, maybe don't remind me she got his mom killed.

Didn't they show flashback of Kelly's head in a box last episode also?  Or am I dreaming that?  I think they did, and I think it may be telegraphing that she is making a return appearance.  Because why do that. 

11 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Didn't they show flashback of Kelly's head in a box last episode also?  Or am I dreaming that?  I think they did, and I think it may be telegraphing that she is making a return appearance.  Because why do that. 

That was a reminder since Diana brought up her other Mommy Kelly.

I can't believe how badly the show is spinning its wheels right now in its last season.

I couldn't care less about the symbols, CGI skull, Diana, or NotJuliette right now, so I guess this year's arc is also tanking. Damn.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, icewolf said:

I can't believe how badly the show is spinning its wheels right now in its last season.

I couldn't care less about the symbols, CGI skull, Diana, or NotJuliette right now, so I guess this year's arc is also tanking. Damn.

Yep, the whole keys leading to the stick/cloth buried in the Black Forest by the Crusaders has been one big disappointment for me.  They dropped the ball on that and made it silly now with the devil grabbing Juliette or whatever.  Rosalee locking the mirror up in a drawer, just laughable. 

• Love 4

Yikes.  This might have been an "okay" episode in an earlier season.  But there are only five episodes left in the entire series we've been watching for six seasons now!  This episode did absolutely nothing to advance the show to its conclusion.  Shameful.

• Love 4

Considering how badly the writers are going to miff up the ending of the stick, the symbols and JuliEve, I'm happy to watch the "Hank and Wu Show" and would vote for a spin-off ("They know there are monsters, but neither can see them!"), just not by these writers.

• Love 5

I don't consider Wesen of the Week filler. It's what the show was originally supposed to be like. All this stupid world-building failures and ¡IMPORTANT! arcs are the true filler. None of it ever goes anywhere. It's just there so the writers can allegedly justify their paychecks. It certainly doesn't add anything to storytelling.

• Love 5

I liked Renard's russian. I liked Wu and Hank solving the crime without requiring Rosalee. One of them should become captain if the rest of the characters get sucked into a time vortex.  Some of the new actors were good - the funeral director who caves immediately.

It is Nick's fault that Juliette became a hexenbiest even if he didn't understand what would happen.

Where do they keep putting the wesen bodies in this show?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ottilie said:

I liked Renard's russian. I liked Wu and Hank solving the crime without requiring Rosalee. One of them should become captain if the rest of the characters get sucked into a time vortex.  Some of the new actors were good - the funeral director who caves immediately.

It is Nick's fault that Juliette became a hexenbiest even if he didn't understand what would happen.

Where do they keep putting the wesen bodies in this show?

I disagree, strongly.  Once Juliette learned the cold hard truth that being with a Grimm was deadly, she should have never reunited with Nick!  Juliette knew that Adalind was a BSC hexenbiest and should have moved far, far away from all things Grimm!

• Love 2

I was distracted by my phone part of the time, so I'm not sure if I missed something or if the show just had some lazy logic:
  -If the public thinks Shelley's son is dead (complete with his picture in the news article) and his colleagues think he killed him, aren't missing posters a bad idea?
  -Renard told his contact that Diana copied the symbols from a tunnel, and she later tells him that this means Diana is directly involved. I mean, Diana obviously is, but the woman didn't know that. Wouldn't it make more sense to tell him, "This stuff is probably very dangerous, tell your little kid to stop copying graffiti"?

• Love 4

Victor Shelly? Really, show? Was Mr. Frank Stein a little too on the nose?

I'm really torn. On the one hand, MoTW is really the bread nd butter of this show, with its best episodes being one off stories, and not episodes focusing on contrived drama and mythology building, mainly because the writers SUCK at contrived drama and mythology building. And this was kind of an interesting idea, and had some good elements (Wu and Hank were a good double act, the funeral director was funny, and it was interesting to have a Wessen plot without any actual Wessen involved), BUT we are almost to the end of the show! We don't have time for spinning the wheels here, lets get to our end date! The stuff with the stupid prophesy and whatever is going on with Eve/Juliet is still boring as hell, but at least its moving us towards our end game. So I don't know! Maybe this show just screwed itself over...

Seeing Nick get all nostalgic about Juliet/Eve is kind of weird, considering how they've embraced Addy as Nicks One True Love, and, oh yeah, some of those flashbacks were about Juliet GETTING NICKS MOM KILLED AND TRYING TO KILL HIM! Shouldn't he be focused on happy memories, not when she went dark side for no reason? Poor Nick. Its kind of sad that the writers decided that the only two women he could have relationships with are women who have tried to murder him, with one option being the women who got his mom killed, and his other option being his rapist. Who, again, have both tried to murder him. What has he done to deserve this?

On the plus side? Renard speaking Russian? Sexy. Damn it Sasha, your sexiness is making it harder for me to figure out how pointless this plot will turn out to be! Also, are we supposed to be shocked that his creepy daughter is, in fact, creepy? We know she has powers, Renard knows, she knows, why the drama?

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Victor Shelly? Really, show? Was Mr. Frank Stein a little too on the nose?

I'm really torn. On the one hand, MoTW is really the bread nd butter of this show, with its best episodes being one off stories, and not episodes focusing on contrived drama and mythology building, mainly because the writers SUCK at contrived drama and mythology building. And this was kind of an interesting idea, and had some good elements (Wu and Hank were a good double act, the funeral director was funny, and it was interesting to have a Wessen plot without any actual Wessen involved), BUT we are almost to the end of the show! We don't have time for spinning the wheels here, lets get to our end date! The stuff with the stupid prophesy and whatever is going on with Eve/Juliet is still boring as hell, but at least its moving us towards our end game. So I don't know! Maybe this show just screwed itself over...

Seeing Nick get all nostalgic about Juliet/Eve is kind of weird, considering how they've embraced Addy as Nicks One True Love, and, oh yeah, some of those flashbacks were about Juliet GETTING NICKS MOM KILLED AND TRYING TO KILL HIM! Shouldn't he be focused on happy memories, not when she went dark side for no reason? Poor Nick. Its kind of sad that the writers decided that the only two women he could have relationships with are women who have tried to murder him, with one option being the women who got his mom killed, and his other option being his rapist. Who, again, have both tried to murder him. What has he done to deserve this?

On the plus side? Renard speaking Russian? Sexy. Damn it Sasha, your sexiness is making it harder for me to figure out how pointless this plot will turn out to be! Also, are we supposed to be shocked that his creepy daughter is, in fact, creepy? We know she has powers, Renard knows, she knows, why the drama?

Victor Shelley was pretty bad, but not as bad Dr. Acula (thanks Scrubs).

The worst thing about the case of the week is that it inadvertently raises more questions and issues. If wesen and human bodies are capable of that level of chimerism, then you would need the wesen council to have people monitor the organ donation lists and a registry of every wesen. You'd have to figure out how to test wesen blood for markers so that they don't end up in the blood donation supply. For the most part, wesen parents seem to raise their children to be separate from regular humans. However, there is always going to be situations where a wesen winds up in foster care and is never taught any of this.

That weird rose colored flashback of Juliette was beyond strange. The vast majority of Juliette and Nick's time together on this show has been negative. Season 1, Nick keeps Juliette in the dark. Season 2, Juliette has amnesia. Season 3, Nick and Juliette get along and support each other. Season 4, Juliette helps Nick to get his powers back and then is actively awful. Season 5, Juliette is dead, but Eve works with Hadrian's Wall. And now season 6. If they wanted Nick to reminisce about the good times, they could have used season 1 and 3 footage and used Juliette's flashbacks from season 2. If they wanted to emphasize how crappy their relationship was then there was a ton of footage of that too. I don't know why they settled in this weird middle place.

Sasha is really good at accents.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Nick still has that spell placed on him, hanging over his head, should something happen to Renaud.  I don't think we have seen the end of that. 

Are you talking about that Trust Me Knot spell? If so, that was invalidated when Adiland didn't provide Renard with an Alibi. That's why the Grimm Gang turned Nick into Renard.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Nick still has that spell placed on him, hanging over his head, should something happen to Renaud.  I don't think we have seen the end of that. 

Renaud isn't acting like the bad guy anymore.  I am not sure what that means.   

No one, perhaps with the exception of Kelly, has any control over Diana.  Kelly is dead, so unless some nonsensical crap brings her back to life, the rest of the characters are at the mercy of Diana.  It is still to be determined whether there is any kryptonite to take Diana down.  It would be pretty late in the series for her to go up against her half-brother without a time jump, since her half-brother is still a baby.  That would seem like the logical conflict resolution to the series, but I think it is really pushing it to expect the writers to come up with a coherent ending to the series if they went in that direction.

They need to come up with a name for "the stick".  Maybe they ought to call it Murray.  The stick does seem to be the solution to all of the problems on this show.  Lazy writing.  I can just imagine. "How do we get out of the box we have written ourselves into?"  Use "the stick".

Renard is back to acting like he did after his tiny tussle with Nick in s2.  Sigh.  WTF?!  All the show had to do was write Renard using Rachel to get his kid back and meeting on the sly with Hank, Wu and Nick to get rid of BC from Portland.  Nick and Renard's office fight could have been staged to show that the Captain was no longer part of "Team Grimm" and the BC cops would eat it up with a spoon.  

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Are you talking about that Trust Me Knot spell? If so, that was invalidated when Adiland didn't provide Renard with an Alibi. That's why the Grimm Gang turned Nick into Renard.

Renard becoming Mayor was a lame story, because he would have no contact with the rest of Team Grimm.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2017 at 0:06 PM, merylinkid said:

I have this horrible feeling about what the bad thing coming is:

Hide contents

A card at the end of the very last episode:   Cancelled.    That's it.   Because these writers will think that is funny after all the build up.

No. No. Don't put that idea out into the universe! Because I wouldn't be surprised. 

How nice that they want to do WoTW stories again...but, seriously, they've screwed up so much the past two seasons, the final 13 episodes is NOT the time to put in "filler stories ". They need to wrap up all the loose ends. 

I know Darklazr is all about "sexy pants Renard"  ;-)  but, I'm wondering...where is Alexander? 

BTW...I am running in a virtual race, which takes place at "Hadrian's wall" -apparently it's a real place. 

2 hours ago, neuromom said:

No. No. Don't put that idea out into the universe! Because I wouldn't be surprised. 

How nice that they want to do WoTW stories again...but, seriously, they've screwed up so much the past two seasons, the final 13 episodes is NOT the time to put in "filler stories ". They need to wrap up all the loose ends. 

I know Darklazr is all about "sexy pants Renard"  ;-)  but, I'm wondering...where is Alexander? 

BTW...I am running in a virtual race, which takes place at "Hadrian's wall" -apparently it's a real place. 

LOL.  The show could have killed off all of the women, except for Rosalie!  Alexander, Meisner and Renard could have been all sexy "pants" and Grimm would have been on fire!  

On a serious note.  Where IS Alexander?!  Alexander should have showed up in Portland after escaping BC and worked with team Grimm and start a new Council in town.  I swear, this show leaves so many holes in their storytelling.

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Victor Shelley was pretty bad, but not as bad Dr. Acula (thanks Scrubs).

I had a Dr Acula t-shirt once, after that episode..

1 hour ago, Darklazr said:

LOL.  The show could have killed off all of the women, except for Rosalie!  Alexander, Meisner and Renard could have been all sexy "pants" and Grimm would have been on fire! 

And move it to Logo, so there's no icky girrrrls (with cooties!!!)

23 hours ago, coppersin said:

"This stuff is probably very dangerous, tell your little kid to stop copying graffiti"

I WOULD HAVE LOVED THAT!!

11 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

not as bad Dr. Acula (thanks Scrubs)

But Scrubs was a comedy (and Dr. Acula was funny as a joke), where Grimm is acting all serious lately.

11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I had a Dr Acula t-shirt once, after that episode..

And move it to Logo, so there's no icky girrrrls (with cooties!!!)

LOL.  At this point, all this woman wants is some sexy "pants" eye candy that can act.   I watched CC when she was on General Hospital, but Adalind has been turned into the best mother on the planet and a complete snooze.  Rosalie is the bomb, never cared for Juliette and the uber special snowflake aka Diana grates on my nerves!  I do love Hank, Wu, Monroe and sometimes Nick when he's not a twit.