Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: New Best Friends

halgia
  • Start Topic

I used to wonder a lot about their personal hygiene/clothes/etc. It seems that Alexandria has running water, but I'm not sure about the other camps. They do make it look easy, though. Either way, you know they'd all smell terrible. But it's best to not think about that stuff too much with this show.

Well Daryl certainly needs for someone to dunk him in a bathtub and scrub him with a brush!  He's so filthy he looks nauseating.  If others can bathe why TF can't he?  He used to be a lot cleaner looking in the early episodes.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, MaryMatts said:

Well Daryl certainly needs for someone to dunk him in a bathtub and scrub him with a brush!  He's so filthy he looks nauseating.  If others can bathe why TF can't he?  He used to be a lot cleaner looking in the early episodes.

I keep waiting for a group of people to drag him outside and hose him down with a power washer kind of like they did with Hawkeye and BJ in MASH when they had their non bathing protest. I actually winced when Carol hugged him. I'm sure she was holding her breath. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, halkatla said:

No I´m okay with her but she always skips my mind. I´d actually like the show more if she was on screen more.

It's a crime that Michonne has been pushed into the background.  She has never had a stand-alone episode.  We know more about Tara than we do about Michonne.

4 hours ago, Anela said:

Not shooting the "messenger" - just a comment. I hate that a woman having a sell-by date, is still around. It probably will be forever, but it depresses the hell out of me. I'm glad the women aren't all under 35 and looking like they're fresh from the salon, as they kill zombies. I think Abe was around the same age as her, and they had him hook up with two gorgeous young women. I also remember some fans wanting Daryl with Beth. 

I also just happen to like Carol. I just wonder how many times we are going to see them reunite, rather than having them stick together. 

I like that the kingdom people care about others. It's refreshing, after the psychopaths that abound in the rest of the show. 

Once again...I wasn't referring to the character's age.  I was referring to the character's usefulness to the show.  This is one of the reasons I can't stand Carol.  Any criticism of her is interpreted as criticism of ALL middle-aged women.  I'm a middle-aged woman so I don't have a problem with a middle-aged woman being a major character on television.  I don't have a problem with middle-aged women being badass or sexual or desirable, especially since I'm all those things (and so much more!).  I have a problem with CAROL.  I haven't like the CHARACTER since the very beginning and nothing has changed.  I hate the way a character that in my opinion should have always stayed second-tier has swollen up, swallowing so much of the show.  I know I'm in the minority but I don't think MMB is the greatest actor that ever lived.  Her performance has been one-note for years and I'm bored to tears with it.

I really hope that I've made myself clear.  St. Carol isn't untouchable, at least I don't think she should be.

Edited to add:  For the record, I wasn't a fan of the Daryl/Beth hookup either, especially since it meant more EK on my television.  The only thing I enjoyed was the howls of outrage coming from a certain fanbase.  But then it got really ugly and showed me a side of fandom I'd never seen before.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

Any criticism of her is interpreted as criticism of ALL middle-aged women.  I'm a middle-aged woman so I don't have a problem with a middle-aged woman being a major character on television.  I don't have a problem with middle-aged women being badass or sexual or desirable, especially since I'm all those things (and so much more!).  I have a problem with CAROL.

These days, the least little criticism of anything is taken personally by the wailing masses of the Easily Offended. I too originally loved that a middle-aged woman could be portrayed on TV or movies as anything other than a background mom-type or a district attorney. Carol was truly an original and that was impressive.

Now, she annoys me. I understand she's got PTSD like everyone else and is depressed but how many episodes do we need to have about her despression and wanting to be alone, like some apocalyptic Greta Garbo? I think if she truly wanted that, she'd go and live far away from people. She's rude, snarky and mean to the people who, for some incomprehensible reason, seem to think she merits special consideration. The King himself is willing to come in person with his court jester to present offerings of mead and meat (or cobbler. Whatever) and I can't figure out why. She takes it, tells them to get lost and slams the door. Maybe His Majesty likes women who play hard to get?

• Love 15

Carol became a great character, but now she sucks.  She would suck if she were 28.  But I would put Melissa M at the top of the list of most attractive women on the show.  

Deanna was quite a bit older, and became a great character, but they just couldn't afford Tovah Feldshuh long term, probably.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, cmfran said:

I used to wonder a lot about their personal hygiene/clothes/etc. It seems that Alexandria has running water, but I'm not sure about the other camps. They do make it look easy, though. Either way, you know they'd all smell terrible. But it's best to not think about that stuff too much with this show.

There were several people doing laundry and hanging it up on lines at The Kingdom, so they have a source of water anyway.  And Ben told his little brother to make sure he brushed his teeth.  So I'm sure The Kingdom has it's hygiene game on.  I would imagine Hilltop is in the same situation, as their clothing and bodies seemed well kept.  Not sure about the Junkyard Dawgs or the Beach Bums - we haven't seen enough of them to know.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Michel said:

Does the fact that Steven Yeun asked for that and was adamant about it ring true?  Because from what I understand, that was certainly the case.

I would believe that Steven Yeun asked for his character's death to be true to the comics over the writers suddenly deciding they need to have this one death scene be just like the comics when in the past they haven't cared if they were true to the comics or not.

3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Now, she annoys me. I understand she's got PTSD like everyone else and is depressed but how many episodes do we need to have about her despression and wanting to be alone, like some apocalyptic Greta Garbo? I think if she truly wanted that, she'd go and live far away from people. She's rude, snarky and mean to the people who, for some incomprehensible reason, seem to think she merits special consideration. The King himself is willing to come in person with his court jester to present offerings of mead and meat (or cobbler. Whatever) and I can't figure out why. She takes it, tells them to get lost and slams the door. Maybe His Majesty likes women who play hard to get?

I have no idea why the writers decided to take Carol in this direction, but like other posters have noted, I do like that King Zeke and the Kingdom care about other people, and want to try and have a functioning society as opposed to all of the psychopaths running around the ZA who do nothing but kill and destroy.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Carol became a great character, but now she sucks.  She would suck if she were 28.  But I would put Melissa M at the top of the list of most attractive women on the show.  

I think MMB is stunningly beautiful and also a pretty good actress. She has had some very strong moments on this show, IMO. I just hate what they've done with her character lately. Carol has been my favorite since Hershel was killed, and I'm going to hold out hope a little longer that she will get "cool" again. But right now she's become a bit tiresome. 

• Love 7

I love Carol and I understand her breakdown, it seems more realistic than how some of the other characters behave since they have had to start killing people but she's at the point where she's gonna have to shit or get off the pot. These kind of breakdowns are understandable but they tend to not play well on tv if they are dragged out too long. 

• Love 5

Exactly. Rick's post-Lori breakdown drove me mad, even though it was totally realistic. It just doesn't make fun TV. 

And, as I mentioned upUpUP thread, it seems too similar to what Morgan's going through and the redundancy isn't fun to watch either. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, MaryMatts said:

I wondered about that: is it make up or are the actor's eyes like that?  He looks like someone punched him up.

I know one of his eyes was injured in a real-life event. I think maybe the show wanted them to match so gave him the huge bag on the other one. Or maybe it's natural. I know the silly girls penning x-rated fanfic make him 27 - 30 years old, but he's a couple decades past that. Personally, I like a man with signs of aging on his face. It's his filth that is really distressing me. Carol must have been left with a giant grease mark on her after hugging him.

1w2ykS5.jpg

• Love 11
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

These days, the least little criticism of anything is taken personally by the wailing masses of the Easily Offended. I too originally loved that a middle-aged woman could be portrayed on TV or movies as anything other than a background mom-type or a district attorney. Carol was truly an original and that was impressive.

Great, I somehow lost my post. I'm not one of the wailing masses, it's just one of those things that is prevalent. My own sister married a man 25 years older than she is, and a gorgeous 31-year-old friend of mine, has had men her age tell her she's too old for them. This should have gone in the small talk thread - I wasn't harping on @mightysparrow - I was just thinking of my own experiences. I'm having trouble with this comment box. Sorry for going off-topic. 

• Love 1
On 2/19/2017 at 10:10 PM, Dust Bunny said:

Wow, that was horrible dialogue. I'm not even talking about the Junkyard Gang and the lack of complete sentences. The writing across the board sucked. Gabriel's words to Rick were just bizarre. Yes, it made sense, but who talks to people like that?

That is exactly what I was thinking; the Thunder Dome action wasn't enough, we had to have phrases like 'we take, we don't bother' and 'up up up.' Dumbest. Episode. Ever. The other thing that irritated me was that the writers think Carol is the kind of person to say "I don't want to know what happened because it will kill me, now go ahead and tell me what happened." I know lots of people IRL pull that crap, I just don't see Carol ever being one of them. But I was impressed as hell with both Daryl and Morgan for continuing to care enough about her to respect her need to be left alone. So episode slightly redeemed.

• Love 5
On 2/21/2017 at 4:48 PM, Dodginblue said:

I think the season could have opened with Negan getting killed.  Maybe in some weirdly unexpected way, like he suddenly chokes on his own tongue  and falls over dead.  At least then we'd be spared this tedious story line of the saviors and their chatty cathy leader.

That would have been a dream come true! Maybe in an alternate universe, it is so...

20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Raven1707 - Go to "more link codes" copy the "Direct Link" and you get this.

zw7plfEM.jpg

Thank you!

Winslow kind of reminds me of Beetlejuice, heh.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, Dodginblue said:

I think the season could have opened with Negan getting killed.  Maybe in some weirdly unexpected way, like he suddenly chokes on his own tongue  and falls over dead.

Everything is relative. I thought Negan and the Saviors were bad and felt that if he said one more word my ears would explode, but  then we got the Garbage Gang and now I'm longing for Negan.

11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The actors and actresses don't look like they are "into" their roles as much as they once were.  Perhaps some of the newer members of the cast are, but IMO Clutterbuck seems to be mailing it in. 

I'm probably wrong, but with Clutterbuck, I can't help feeling he's thinking, "They put me into this hippy-dippy, whacked out world, I'm acting accordingly." He's acting as though the Star Trek plant that disperses Happy Spores just busted a nut in his face.  

The Sunday Cable ratings are in for "New Best Friend":

“The Walking Dead” held up pretty well Sunday in its second episode back from hiatus. The AMC show scored a 5.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 11.075 million viewers, down only about 7 percent from the 5.7 and 12 million who tuned in the previous week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-feb-19-2017/

Here are the Live + Same Day ratings for Season 7 so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million
11-13-16 “Service” 11.402 million
11-20-16 “Go Getters” 10.996 million
11-27-16 “Swear” 10.403 million
12-04-16 “Sing Me a Song” 10.481 million
12-11-16 “Hearts Still Beating” 10.583 million

02-12-17 “Rock in the Road” 11.996 million
02-19-17 “New Best Friends” 11.075 million

And here's how it did on the Cable Top 25:

“The Walking Dead” remained a clear No. 1 on cable in the week of Feb. 13-19, more than doubling its closest competitor’s adults 18-49 rating.

The AMC hit delivered a 5.3 rating in adults 18-49, while the NBA All-Star Game on TNT came in second with a 2.6.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/weekly-ratings/cable-top-25-for-feb-13-19-2017/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Everything is relative. I thought Negan and the Saviors were bad and felt that if he said one more word my ears would explode, but  then we got the Garbage Gang and now I'm longing for Negan.

I'm probably wrong, but with Clutterbuck, I can't help feeling he's thinking, "They put me into this hippy-dippy, whacked out world, I'm acting accordingly." He's acting as though the Star Trek plant that disperses Happy Spores just busted a nut in his face.  

Ha!  Maybe we are being monitored.  Complained enough about Negan and his monologuing now we have the TrashHoardCliffNoteSpeakers...  Hey show - if you're listening:  Do more with less, but make less "good".

Edited by ChipBach
  • Love 3

Sorry if this came up earlier (haven't read through all the posts) but I laughed during the scene with Daryl and Richard and recognized the picture on the trailer is the same one Snowman used to carry the Coors in the first Smokey and the Bandit.

• Love 1
On 2/21/2017 at 10:19 AM, mightysparrow said:

One of the main reasons I've heard that Carol is the most important character in television history is because she represents middle-aged women.  Yet it's okay that Daryl treats her like an infant and makes decisions about what she can and can't handle?  That sounds like something Ed would do.  Carol is a grown-ass woman living in the ZA.  

So?  Grown-ass woman and adults in general aren't above breaking or suffering from depression or emotional traumas.  Daryl wasn't treating Carol like a child imo.  He was treating her as someone he loved and cared about.  Morgan spared her as well.  Frankly, I have a feeling Carol may have sensed Daryl was lying because he hesitated.  Maybe she's deliberately lying to herself to spare herself.  Who knows.  I certainly did not see Daryl treating her like a child.  He saw someone he loves, broken and TELLING HIM that she couldn't handle it if anyone she loved was hurt or dead.  She literally said that to him and then - with tears streaming down her face at just the idea of someone having been hurt or died - asked him if everyone was okay.  I think it would have been selfish for Daryl to tell her the truth in that moment because that would have been what HE wants.  He wants her in the fight, but not at the cost of her sanity and her emotional well-being.  Carol will learn the truth eventually and she'll make her choice.  

• Love 12

1.  You've got an entire world full of houses and buildings that are no longer occupied.  Why the heck would you choose to live in a junkyard?

2.  It was great seeing the truck from Smoky and the Bandit.  Wow, it's in terrible shape, unless they "made it up" to make it look like it had been sitting outside rusting for 30 years.

• Love 3

I started watching this show, on Netflix.  That was probably 3 years ago. So I have waited for the new season to be released, but this season I started watching it on Sunday nights.  I keep thinking it's going to get good.  I can't wait to see when they rise up, and band together and overthrow Negan and the saviors.  I keep waiting and waiting and waiting.  I know we are only 2 episodes in to the second half of this season, but good grief --- lets have some progress please. The progress they have made is sad and weird.  

I have not read all the comments, but enough to know that everyone seems to be on the same page about the junkyard people.  How there is no way their speech patterns could have changed that much, in that amount of time.  I know it's been longer than Jadis' roots would indicate, but I suppose at first, maybe they did things like bleach their hair? 

Worst part is, I missed it on Sunday and didn't want to wait till this Sunday for the repeat -- also, I really can't watch 2 hours of this.  Not the way it is now.  I couldn't get registered , or whatever dumb thing you have to do to watch it online, so I paid to watch it on Amazon.  Yes, I know.  It was only $2, but it was not worth it.   

I have been anticipating that this show is going to get good again.  And I will watch the rest of the season.  I am losing hope though.  Something really has to happen.  Something has to change.  This season, as I'm watching, I lose interest, and can barely pay attention.  I used to be able to binge watch several episodes in a row.  Now I can barely get through one. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

This? Is why I pay no attention to ratings on IMDB, since they appear to all be made by teenaged boys:

twd.jpg

Or Hardwick hijacking an internet cafe and unleashing rating bots...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

You've got an entire world full of houses and buildings that are no longer occupied.  Why the heck would you choose to live in a junkyard?

Because they are YAs and they are still rebelling from their parents - which means rejecting their trappings.  With the the other kingdoms - there is some basis of a reality - trying to cope- trying to bring order.  The junkies could only exist in fantasy.  One night sleeping in a junkyard - and the YAs would get their rebellious asses back to the suburbs.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

latest?cb=20170213150047

Maybe I am being too hard on them.  Look they decorated their home with rugs. That really does "tie the room" together.

Do they bring them to Lake Minnezombie for washing?

• Love 1
On 2/24/2017 at 3:51 PM, rmontro said:

1.  You've got an entire world full of houses and buildings that are no longer occupied.  Why the heck would you choose to live in a junkyard?

Don't get me started! I live in a major metropolitan area and sometimes I look around with a TWD filter and see so many defensible and self-contained buildings/complexes.  Just because the prison was ruined by one psycho bad guy, doesn't mean that it was a bad idea never to be tried again RICK!

• Love 8

Here are the Cable Live +3 ratings for "New Best Friends":

“The Walking Dead” made up some of the (small) ratings declines its Feb. 19 episode suffered thanks to DVR and on-demand playback.

The episode fell 0.4 in adults 18-49 vs. the prior week the night it aired (5.7 to 5.3). It regained a tenth of a point with three days of delayed viewing, rising to a 7.4 (vs. 7.7 the previous week). It also added more viewers (4.16 million) than the previous episode’s 3.92 million.  [15.243 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/the-walking-dead-picks-up-the-pace-in-cable-live-3-ratings-for-feb-13-19/

And here are the Live + Same Day ratings, plus the Live +3 ratings for Season 7 so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million; 16.225 million
11-13-16 “Service” 11.402 million; 15.718 million
11-20-16 “Go Getters” 10.996 million; 15.267 million
11-27-16 “Swear” 10.403 million; 14.275 million
12-04-16 “Sing Me a Song” 10.481 million; 14.940 million
12-11-16 “Hearts Still Beating” 10.583 million; 15.198 million

02-12-17 “Rock in the Road” 11.996 million; 15.932 million
02-19-17 “New Best Friends” 11.075 million; 15.243 million

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/20/2017 at 6:37 PM, Nashville said:

To me, Daryl's departure was the most unrealistic aspect of the episode. 

It was.  He knows Negan's MO is to not punish a person who commits a transgression, but to punish someone they care about.  What the hell does he think is going to happen when the Saviors find him at Hilltop?  I didn't blame him for Glenn because he had no idea then, but if something happens now, that is 100% totally on him.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2017 at 10:48 AM, ByTor said:

It was.  He knows Negan's MO is to not punish a person who commits a transgression, but to punish someone they care about.  What the hell does he think is going to happen when the Saviors find him at Hilltop?  I didn't blame him for Glenn because he had no idea then, but if something happens now, that is 100% totally on him.

Well that's assuming he is staying at Hilltop.  Daryl, like Rick - and Maggie and the rest - want to get this battle started.  Nothing is happening at the Kingdom except people sitting around and refusing to fight.  I think Daryl is correct that it's Morgan that has to sway Ezekiel.   Daryl is going to the Hilltop, I am guessing, to make plans with Maggie, Sasha and Jesus, and if he has to leave again to keep them safe and return to the Kingdom, he will.  The point is that Daryl and the others want to formulate a plan, not sit around and put their head in the sand - which is essentially what is happening at the Kingdom.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2017 at 10:08 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Jadis may be a woman of few words, but she knew enough not to take on The Saviors without a looooot of guns.

Aw, Daryl really loves Carol if he didn't want her to go HAM on Negan and crew.

I just saw the episode. I am baffled that the the Garbage kids forgot how to speak proper English in a couple of years since the ZA. It looks like the writers enjoyed watching Mad Max 3 at Thunderdome.

On 2/20/2017 at 1:39 AM, magpye29 said:

What I did like was when Jadis said that they open cans (jars?) and sometimes the stuff inside is rotten.  That actually makes sense in this universe.  This episode, though?  Not so much.

Unless...maybe Jadis's weird, stilted speech is because most of her crew are foreigners, and she's cut it down to basics so everyone will understand?

Her speech patterns make no sense if she has been living in the USA for several years.

• Love 1

Wow. Looks like I'm the only one who liked this episode, especially the junkyard kids.  The whole sequence was very budget-BBC-sci-fi, a la Blake's 7 or even Dr. Who, right down to the music.  FINALLY an episode that's letting the fantasy run loose. Why not?

5 hours ago, wrlord said:

Wow. Looks like I'm the only one who liked this episode, especially the junkyard kids.  The whole sequence was very budget-BBC-sci-fi, a la Blake's 7 or even Dr. Who, right down to the music.  FINALLY an episode that's letting the fantasy run loose. Why not?

No, I actually liked it.  I hate watched the garbage pail kids, and loved that ridiculous damned thing Rick fought.  That thing was creepy as shit. 

Taken alone, the junkyard kids is just something weird that the group stumbled upon. Maybe if they were younger, like a foster home of teens, waiting for people to take stuff for them makes more sense, as would they way they talk. You could frame it as a coping mechanism. But these are grown adults. 

And given there's seemingly 17 groups of people on top of one another who didn't know the others is getting ridiculous. It's also spreading a fairly thin plot even thinner. 

My first thought was that the people in junkyard gang were mentally deficient/handicapped. (I know the word "retarded" is no longer considered an acceptable term but that's what I'm getting at.) It might actually make sense if it turned out they were all inmates in some kind of group home and escaped after the apocalypse. Then the way they're talking wouldn't seem so odd. But you'd think Rick and the others would pick up on it. "There's something not quite right about these guys, I'm not sure they're all there." 

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:34 PM, iMonrey said:

But you'd think Rick and the others would pick up on it. "There's something not quite right about these guys, I'm not sure they're all there." 

I never thought of that but you could be right. Yaris or Jaris or whatever her name is could very well have escaped from a lockdown in the criminally insane ward. She definitely acts that way, like a psychopath, but I'm starting to think Rick - who greeted the perfectly reasonable Aaron with a knock-out punch and the crazy, violent garbage people with a big dopey smile - is mentally deficient too, at this point.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I never thought of that but you could be right. Yaris or Jaris or whatever her name is could very well have escaped from a lockdown in the criminally insane ward. She definitely acts that way, like a psychopath, but I'm starting to think Rick - who greeted the perfectly reasonable Aaron with a knock-out punch and the crazy, violent garbage people with a big dopey smile - is mentally deficient too, at this point.

Not arguing that point at all,  :)  In a certain sense, though, I think I can see how in the crazy fucked-up mess which is the post-ZA world, being crazy and fucked up is the new "normal" - and the appearance of calm, sane, pre-ZA rationality might be a presentation which provokes suspicion and/or hostility.