Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, PixieDust said:

We have been saying we want more but with that we have been saying more dancing!!!! With three episodes focused on auditions it would have been great to see more of the solos! I know that's what I would want most! Maybe more from the kitty prep night, vets preparing their solos, just more on the solos all together! 

THIS

I feel that what I didnt like about the three audition eps was that it felt dragged out becuse there was the same amount of dancing shown, but with a lot of nonsense filler - like the guy whose name I can't remember that was doing small backstage interviews (which were super cringey to me but I hate that sort of super fake 'reality' stuff) with some of the girls. Cut that nonsense out and we could have had waaaaaaaaaaaay more dancing.  I wanted to see more of the solos but we got the same snippety montage

• Love 10

I don't think the show is anymore boring than it was previous seasons. We're only less than 1/2 way into the season and the cuts haven't really started yet, and the episodes that aired were to build a background for this season. Every year there are the same complaints about focusing too much on one thing and not enough on another. Some want more background on the girls, and then others complain they don't care about that (me!).  Some want more dance segments, and others complain they don't know the girls enough to root for them.  It all comes down to personal preference, and they can't please everyone,.

Whether they're a reality show or not, they don't really owe anyone an explanation for what changes they're making, but at the same time don't get cranky because people ask about a lack of continuity. Would it be nice to get more details? Of course!  But considering we've not even reached the point where Erica is gone yet, why would they explain what happened?  If it wasn't for us knowing she's gone, we would be laughing at the crappy editing.

Not for nothing as well, but @ShellyB doesn't work for PTV or CMT. She works for the Cowboys, I think as their Events Coordinator or a Technical Coach(?). She's only going to give info to an internet board that won't piss off the people who sign her paycheck. I can't find fault with that - I'd want to keep my job too.

I'm as thirsty as the next person for the scoop, but the DCC are going to do what's good for the DCC. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Jess14 said:

I think the show is grappling with the age of social media, similar to everyone else lol. Along with the tv show, social media helps the team reach a much wider audience. However, they can go back and edit the show, but they can't take back all of those instagram/Facebook/twitter posts that they blasted out to their fans. They can't hide the fact that 3 of their most popular and prominent dancers are suddenly missing, while they're simultaneously blasting out pics and videos of the team with them missing. So the question is, how (if) will they address it on the show?  I think the group leader switch (which appeared to be last minute) regarding Erica/Kashara is a hint that we won't see anything about the Erica situation but we'll see. It's up to the show and their right to show what they want, however, we all know it's out there at this point.

As for the show, it's kind of boring, but I think some of it is due to the show focusing heavily in the first few episodes on people who didn't make training camp and/or we know will get cut (Brianna). It's still interesting enough to keep my attention for now! I gave up on Big Brother (my summer reality show since 2001) weeks ago because it was so boring and had too much produced interference, but I'm still here lol.

I've watched every season, and I agree that this is not one of their better seasons thus far..  I really want to see more of the girls performing.  I don't mind back stories, but I really want to compare the TCC's against each other and the vets during their performances.  I want to see what K&J see, \ I'd also like to see strugglers working with their group leaders to try to improve.  

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, DancingForLife said:

20/20 Hindsight--if they knew they were losing  Erica & Holly would they have cut Heather H & Allie? Nope!!

Too many rookies & good- but not outstanding vets = a mediocre season

That's why I think it's dumb to keep rookies (or vets for that matter) that aren't up to par just to make 36. I'd rather see a team of 30 who were at 100% than a team with obvious strugglers who will only last a year. The team is only as strong as their weakest player/dancer, it takes away from the good moments the squad has. 

Edited by HowdeeDo
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, DancingForLife said:

20/20 Hindsight--if they knew they were losing  Erica & Holly would they have cut Heather H & Allie? Nope!!

Too many rookies & good- but not outstanding vets = a mediocre season

The rookies are not up to the standards of any one of the Vets that are no longer there.  Just go look at all the game day pics already out there.  Lines: terrible.    kicks:  totally off and not to the same height , bent knees which shows poor flexibility.  Technique:  sickled / flexed feet and knees.  Timing:  totally off.  Then there is the WOW factor: totally absent 

• Love 4

My question is: when did Brennan and Celinda get cut?  I wonder if they were cut before Holly and Erica left. So many rookies made the team this year, so it's especially sad that 2/5 of the cut girls were returning TCC. Bummer for them!

I'm also curious about Brennan and Celinda.  I thought Brennan looked amazing in her audition, Celinda looked pretty good but I wouldn't say better than last year.  And there hasn't been much focus on either of them during rehearsals.

35 minutes ago, Stee said:

My question is: when did Brennan and Celinda get cut?  I wonder if they were cut before Holly and Erica left. So many rookies made the team this year, so it's especially sad that 2/5 of the cut girls were returning TCC. Bummer for them!

One before and the other after.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ShellyB said:

One before and the other after.

Wow - Thanks for the answer!  My question was a hypothetical but never imagined we'd get an answer before seeing it play out on tv!  Looking forward to seeing it all play out on TV. 

Always extra heartbreaking when a girl gets cut twice from Training Camp. I feel like there is always one each year - but we haven't seen or heard much from Brennan and Celinda on the show this season. Definitely no "Comeback girl" episode so far. 

I love having the auditions  for semis and final expanded .  I know that what I asked for those on the survey they gave. I'm also rather a fan of bad auditions, and wished more would've been shown, but that's ok.

Didn't get the makeovers.. They were just a non event.

Edited by Dopeydwarf
  • Love 3

The makeovers could be a segment they can do away with altogether. Girls more than likely get their hair done (including color) before auditions to already have a "DCC Look" and that's probably why drastic changes are few and far between. If there's enough noticeable makeovers to make a segment I'd enjoy it, but giving someone updated highlights and a trim doesn't excite me. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, HowdeeDo said:

The makeovers could be a segment they can do away with altogether. Girls more than likely get their hair done (including color) before auditions to already have a "DCC Look" and that's probably why drastic changes are few and far between. If there's enough noticeable makeovers to make a segment I'd enjoy it, but giving someone updated highlights and a trim doesn't excite me. 

Agreed.  With most of them the change is too subtle to really appreciate it all that much.  The girls look fine before makeovers, they still look fine after makeovers.

Also, I wish they would vary up hairstyles a bit more.

Edited by ClosetBachJunkie
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ClosetBachJunkie said:

Agreed.  With most of them the change is too subtle to really appreciate it all that much.  The girls look fine before makeovers, they still look fine after makeovers.

Also, I wish they would vary up hairstyles a bit more.

It's so annoying when we get the same spiel about how a "makeover" could make or break a girl. You're not doing Princess Diaries/Miss Congeniality worthy transformations here Kelli. Insinuating a barely noticeable color change/cut improves someone's chances only makes yourself look bad. 

• Love 5

Totally random question -- why does Judy persist in perching on a stool vs. sitting in a chair beside Kelli? At the old studio I figured it had something to do with Kelli's office being kind of small, but now she still does it even though they sit in that new large conference room. I have a lot of respect for Judy but sitting as she does she kind of reminds me of a bird perched on Kelli's shoulder..

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Blndee6 said:

Totally random question -- why does Judy persist in perching on a stool vs. sitting in a chair beside Kelli? At the old studio I figured it had something to do with Kelli's office being kind of small, but now she still does it even though they sit in that new large conference room. I have a lot of respect for Judy but sitting as she does she kind of reminds me of a bird perched on Kelli's shoulder..

That stool is an on going joke. Maybe Judy knows the viewers expect to see her sitting on it so she keeps it. I think she said something about it having it's own fan base.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

That stool is an on going joke. Maybe Judy knows the viewers expect to see her sitting on it so she keeps it. I think she said something about it having it's own fan base.

Exactly.  She tried to get rid of it and there was uproar from fans.  She jokingly said it had its own twitter account!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Blndee6 said:

I appreciate the "joke" aspect of why keep the stool but... Kelly is the boss. Their positioning sends a clear message. Judy gets a different view of the teams when they are rehearsing. It may only be a few inches but it makes a difference -> kinda like when you go from driving a sedan to an SUV.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, FaninMAss said:

I appreciate the "joke" aspect of why keep the stool but... Kelly is the boss. Their positioning sends a clear message. Judy gets a different view of the teams when they are rehearsing. It may only be a few inches but it makes a difference -> kinda like when you go from driving a sedan to an SUV.

Their position definitely sends a message to me -- Judy is but one of the many small celestial bodies that orbit the sun that is Kelli! ?

• Love 4

I know Miranda got a hard time on these boards during the audition process, but judging from her Instagram page she seems both real and nice.  She wears little to no makeup in her candid photos, and she and her  significant other appear to be a darling match.  Good for her.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, California Girl said:

I know Miranda got a hard time on these boards during the audition process, but judging from her Instagram page she seems both real and nice.  She wears little to no makeup in her candid photos, and she and her  significant other appear to be a darling match.  Good for her.

She may have had a ton of plastic surgery, but she can dance. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Smplsimon said:

I think she'll be removed before the season is up.  Her kicks are terrible.

They skills have called that Katelyn in like they did w/ that girl Cami? (can't remember her exact name) after the strong dancer vets were cut.   She had to be close to making it and just needed a makeover.

However, I'm wondering if someone from LSU blacklisted her or something - there is so much LSU dance presence there at the DCC - so why didn't anyone speak up for her to get her into training camp? - I'm actually more inclined to think they did the opposite (kind of like the Ashley Pro situation).  You never know what people in dance will say about you - they can be perfectly sweet to your face and then trash you out of jealousy to others, etc.  Maybe someone did that to her.

Edited by MyFavShows
1 hour ago, MyFavShows said:

They skills have called that Katelyn in like they did w/ that girl Cami? (can't remember her exact name) after the strong dancer vets were cut.   She had to be close to making it and just needed a makeover.

However, I'm wondering if someone from LSU blacklisted her or something - there is so much LSU dance presence there at the DCC - so why didn't anyone speak up for her to get her into training camp? - I'm actually more inclined to think they did the opposite (kind of like the Ashley Pro situation).  You never know what people in dance will say about you - they can be perfectly sweet to your face and then trash you out of jealousy to others, etc.  Maybe someone did that to her.

Katelynn was one of the candidates Kitty mentioned hating their solo. Maybe she didn't change it? 

1 hour ago, MyFavShows said:

That makes more sense than the reasons that they gave for not picking her. I would hope (and think) that K&J are savvy and smart enough not to take all negative commentary or gossip as fact, but as you stated, the LSU connection to DCC is really strong, so IF there were bad comments about her, they may have been taken more seriously. If she was blackballed, I hope she finds out someway and doesn't waste her time trying out again.

2 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

Why what happened to Ashley Pro?

On 9/4/2017 at 11:46 AM, CaseyRe said:

Im also getting a little tired of the number of candidates that gush that they've wanted to be a DCC all their lives, they've been training for it blah blah but when they get to TC and struggle and are asked, have never taken a hip-hop class, or danced to the sort of music DCC uses, or seemingly had any experience with anything like the DCC style at all or worked on power within their dance.  If you really had wanted something all your life, wouldn't have prepared for it?  Every year there are girls claiming they want nothing but to be DCC since they were small, and every year those girls are utterly unprepared.

For example, Brianna. This show has been on 12 years or since she was at least 6 years old. You should know what to expect--out of auditions, training camp and Kelli & Judi. All of it!!

• Love 1

Speaking of Brianna -- people talk about "locker rooms favorites" and this post made to wonder if there is probably a lot more to her than CMT is editing for us to see. Everyone seemed to love her -- including Cassie!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

Her former dance team (not sure if college or Pro) mentioned she came off as cold and disinterested or something like that. 

Yeah - and poor Ashley was completely blindsided by it - she seemed to geniunely have no clue that this person/people did not like her.  It was really sad.  Had they not given her a chance and learned she wasn't the way the person(s) said, she never would have known why she didn't make training camp.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 3

I suppose maybe this should go in unpopular opinions, but I really love the new season, especially the second episode, which is one of my absolute favorites ever.  Kashara and Yuko were adorable (another unpopular opinion:  I love Yuko!), and I felt as though it was really meaningful that they didn't just leave off with who made finals and who didn't - it made for a more continuous feel for the show overall.  I'm not mad about the editing (caveat:  I only get MTT through iTunes so I hadn't realized there was editing until it was pointed out here).  It seems to me as though it is far more logical to edit over for Kashara's promotion than it would be to address an event out of chronological order, and also because I have a feeling (solely my opinion, since I sadly have no insider information) that the rationale may be to protect the integrity of the process, as well as the girls.  We still have no idea why Erica left.  She may have some very serious, very private reasons for doing so and I really do think that Kelli and Judy both would do their best to protect the girls as far as they are able, and I am hoping very much that Erica (and Holly) are doing as well as they are able.  Whatever their reasons for leaving the team I'm sure it must be very hard on them - you just can't leave something so formative to your life and identity without sadness and grief and I'm hoping that the edits we are seeing are the result of respect for that.  Beyond this, I'm excited to see how the season turns out and whatever the issues with the rookie class I'm hoping for a great season for both the squad and MTT.  I do also hope though that next year will see Titans Brianna, Katelynn, and Lacey making training camp, and that we'll have even more follow through with the veterans (another new point that I really love, and some more unpopular opinions: 1) I loved the alumni cheer clinic, and 2) I really like Cassie 3) and Tina Kalina - she reminds me of a happy goofy aunt that occasionally says cringeworthy things but you can't get mad at her about it because she really means well, bless her heart).

• Love 11
20 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I think Christina is a one-year girl like Kat; she's got that element of desperation about her. 

Same. That coupled with the fact that she's abit older and it shows. I definitely don't think she's going to make it past this season. 

19 hours ago, Smplsimon said:

I think she'll be removed before the season is up.  Her kicks are terrible.

I don't think so. I'll think she'll get her ring and that's it. As far as her kicks, they obviously aren't THAT terrible if she made the team.

• Love 1

Christina must not have the endurance to do a good jump split after 5+ minutes of dancing. There's pictures on her insta doing jump splits and they're really good. I love her and I'm so happy she finally made it but I wouldn't be surprised if she was one and cut too. And who knows, she's 28 or 29 right? she may not want too. She may be like Auto Amy and retire after one year after trying out for years.

Edited by beachespeaches
1 hour ago, DCCFAN71 said:

The blondes on either side of Madeline are Tasha and Gina. Kalyssa is front row far right.

Kashara is looking great again in the group photo above.  She is so adorable.

13 hours ago, Dccfan126 said:

Speaking of Brianna -- people talk about "locker rooms favorites" and this post made to wonder if there is probably a lot more to her than CMT is editing for us to see. Everyone seemed to love her -- including Cassie!

Brianna has the gifts of youth and beauty, even if she never comes back to audition for the DCC I predict that good things are in her future.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, beachespeaches said:

Christina must not have the endurance to do a good jump split after 5+ minutes of dancing. There's pictures on her insta doing jump splits and they're really good. I love her and I'm so happy she finally made it but I wouldn't be surprised if she was one and cut too. And who knows, she's 28 or 29 right? she may not want too. She may be like Auto Amy and retire after one year after trying out for years.

What?  Did Auto Amy decide to retire from the Golden State Warriors Dancers after only one year?

9 hours ago, raindancer said:

I suppose maybe this should go in unpopular opinions, but I really love the new season, especially the second episode, which is one of my absolute favorites ever.  Kashara and Yuko were adorable (another unpopular opinion:  I love Yuko!), and I felt as though it was really meaningful that they didn't just leave off with who made finals and who didn't - it made for a more continuous feel for the show overall.  I'm not mad about the editing (caveat:  I only get MTT through iTunes so I hadn't realized there was editing until it was pointed out here).  It seems to me as though it is far more logical to edit over for Kashara's promotion than it would be to address an event out of chronological order, and also because I have a feeling (solely my opinion, since I sadly have no insider information) that the rationale may be to protect the integrity of the process, as well as the girls.  We still have no idea why Erica left.  She may have some very serious, very private reasons for doing so and I really do think that Kelli and Judy both would do their best to protect the girls as far as they are able, and I am hoping very much that Erica (and Holly) are doing as well as they are able.  Whatever their reasons for leaving the team I'm sure it must be very hard on them - you just can't leave something so formative to your life and identity without sadness and grief and I'm hoping that the edits we are seeing are the result of respect for that.  Beyond this, I'm excited to see how the season turns out and whatever the issues with the rookie class I'm hoping for a great season for both the squad and MTT.  I do also hope though that next year will see Titans Brianna, Katelynn, and Lacey making training camp, and that we'll have even more follow through with the veterans (another new point that I really love, and some more unpopular opinions: 1) I loved the alumni cheer clinic, and 2) I really like Cassie 3) and Tina Kalina - she reminds me of a happy goofy aunt that occasionally says cringeworthy things but you can't get mad at her about it because she really means well, bless her heart).

I know I am probably the only one who is still mad about this choice, but showing Erica's announcement wouldn't be out of chronological order, since this was what happened at the moment and they certainly didn't have to add "but 5 weeks from now she will be gone". They never mentioned Courtney's reason for leaving so they are obviously capable of keeping a secret without acting like the girl in question never existed. By ignoring her they made what seemed like an unfortunate cut for injury into something shady.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, California Girl said:

What?  Did Auto Amy decide to retire from the Golden State Warriors Dancers after only one year?

Nope :( I'm guessing since they won the popularity of the team is higher now so maybe she just decided to end on a high note and get married. 

48 minutes ago, California Girl said:

Kashara is looking great again in the group photo above.  She is so adorable.

Meh, she's hunched over so you can't really tell. I'm probably the only one left that thinks she should be on weight warning. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

For example, Brianna. This show has been on 12 years or since she was at least 6 years old. You should know what to expect--out of auditions, training camp and Kelli & Judi. All of it!!

I'm not a dancer so take this with a grain of salt but I always thought that if you were good at ballet, you could dance any style.  I figured ballet is the foundation other styles are built upon.  Maybe Brianna thought something along those lines?  Or, more likely, I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Pink-n-Green said:

I'm not a dancer so take this with a grain of salt but I always thought that if you were good at ballet, you could dance any style.  I figured ballet is the foundation other styles are built upon.  Maybe Brianna thought something along those lines?  Or, more likely, I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

It's been YEARS since I danced, and longer since I did ballet, so again, grain of salt, but I wouldn't necessarily agree.  Yes, ballet will absolutely give you good techniques - not sickling your feet, extreme strength and felexibility, preciseness in movement - but ballet is traditionally (although there is of course more contemporary cross-genre ballet) aaaaall about grace, and softness (or the appearance of softness in movement) and fluidity, whereas more contemporary dance can be a lot more about power and oversized movement, very rough and jerky movement and the very opposite of how ballet tends to be.  I think for sure ballet dancers will be able to demonstrate a greater versatility in their dance - for instance it would be far harder for a hip-hop dancer to do ballet than vice versa - but if it's ALL you've done, suddenly thinking you're going to ace a wildly different style with essentially zero training in those other styles is naive in the extreme at best and arrogant at worst.  Especially when there's literally no reason not to have better prepared for something you claim you've wanted for ages. For me its like saying you've wanted to be a computer IT guy all your life, but you've only ever used a smart phone and never a computer.  You can learn, but maybe not fast enough.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Is that a man bun?  why oh why

I think at her age and with her Other NFL experience, like Mandy...she will leave after 1 year and use it to build her dance instructor/teaching resume.  MTT has made DCC style more a calling card to those in the dance world.  Jennifer  who moved back home to Jacksonville is basically teaching the same "Michelle keys" power class and the classes are packed....in Jacksonville.

• Love 2

Can anyone help me in regard to tattoos - I was of the belief that girls couldn't have visible tattoos in either the uniform or their rehearsal gear. now the rehearsel outfits reveal more skin than the uniform, particularly on the arms, being essentially a sports bra and shorts.  As far as Im aware, Kelsey has a tattoo on one of her wrists. Now in the shirt of the uniform it woould be covered by the cuff of the shirt, but in the sports bra-esque rehearsal outfit, surely its visible.  So how is it allowed?  does she just have to cover it with makeup during rehearsal and that satisfies the 'not visible' rule?

2 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

Meh, she's hunched over so you can't really tell. I'm probably the only one left that thinks she should be on weight warning. 

You're definitely not alone.  I think Kashara is adorable, but she's definitely got "a bigger saddle than most" (to quote Charlotte).  It seems like every picture I see of her in uniform with other team members, she's always on the end sticking her assets out there for all to see.  She probably thinks that's her best angle (like the gals who take selfies from above to show off the tatas).

• Love 1