Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E08: Week 8: Hometown Dates

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I pictured the cheating ex coming away from the event covered in a zillion half-inch-round black-and-blue marks, which was a very satisfying mental image for me. So yeay, Team Raven. (Although remember she also "kicked the door in" which added to this spectacularly good story. I wonder if that mental image, now lodged in Nick's brain, will color his fantasy suite invitation to Raven. Imagine the spurned Raven on ATFR! During this episode I couldn't help but think of the stories I read here that Corrine's mom watches this show with Corrine and fully supports Corrine's use of her platinum body parts. A big "Ewww" to that.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I agree. But then I'm also not one to think people having nannies or even maids means they're disgusting, entitled, evil people, so I have a different perspective on the whole Raquel thing than many here.

Agreed. People tend to have a problem with "women's work" being outsourced because wives and mothers should be doing it for free, right? Raquel appears to be treated well and, I assume, gets paid for her services. It's a job, and a worthwhile one to the people who employ her.

I rarely see anyone get squeamish when a household has a yard service, a plumber, a roofer, or a tax accountant.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Loving your post! I thought Nick's response, "I'm not from Mars" or something to that effect was so funny. One thing I like about him is that he doesn't seem to be so intimidated that he doesn't use humor or sarcasm. If someone can explain why Rachel's mother even asked the question, please do so. 

The olive eating scene was awkward. In my opinion, that wasn't the face of a man who just had the best olive he's ever tasted. I actually thought he was going to spit it out at first. And they were all staring at him while he ate it! What were they expecting him to do? It's just an olive, everyone! Calm the hell down.

Because this is  scripted show or at least heavily producer directed, or because Rachel's family is not as sophisticated or enlightened as some seem to think they are. 

My personal opinion is it as because this date was clearly designed to be about race, and they had to show every part of any conversation that dealt with that.  As someone pointed out, many Southern people of all races eat the foods that were on that plate and even some people who live in the north.  I'm sure Paula Deen has a recipe for every one of them.  Why, if RACHEL who they had not seen for a while and was bringing home an important date, would the mom make okra when Rachel said she doesn't like it?

I only watched once and was engaged in another activity.  Could it possibly have been a joke?  I actually missed the question and only heard Nick's response so I had to figure it out from the boards.  I did, however, cringe at many things I saw on all the hometown dates.  They all were some stereotype in one way or another. 

Raven- the small country town where people roll in the mud with bugs and go to grain bins....and ride ATVs 

Corinne- The whole shopping and having a servant - spoiled little rich girl 

Vanessa- the traditional loud, boisterous and protective Italian family with a father acting like a mob boss 

Rachel- The black girl with the big gospel church and the Guess Who is Coming to Dinner vibe 

Maybe they are always like this, but I was insulted as a viewer. .

• Love 5

I also have no issue with families having a housekeeper / nanny. If they can afford it and the housekeeper is willing to work for the family, why not? It's not slavery, it's just another job.

In some households, there is a definite need for a housekeeper because both parents go to work and they may not have time to do household chores.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3

Rachel's mom didn't ask if he knew what everything was- it was the little sister, Heather. They all joked and gave her a hard time for saying it. The cousin, I think her name is Angela, said "Like he's been in the mountains" I really just took it as a regional thing. My dad is from TX and I only ever laid eyes on Okra once- visiting his side of the family. I grew up in the NW and we just don't eat that here (yes I'm sure there are exceptions but I'm saying in general) I have never seen it in the grocery store.

When my kids were young, one of my son's friends told me, with the cutest serious face, that I could use a full-time housekeeper.   (They had one.)    I wish I hadn't told the mom because she was really mad at the poor kid.   I still laugh thinking about it.   

Edited by hyacinth
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I agree. But then I'm also not one to think people having nannies or even maids means they're disgusting, entitled, evil people, so I have a different perspective on the whole Raquel thing than many here.

I grew up with people who had live in help. Some just had live-in nannies who left when the kids were a certain age. Others had live in housekeepers/childcare which I assume is what Raquel is. No teen or 20 something would EVER call the employee their nanny. None. And none were so stunted in their growth because they had live in help. They all left home, went to,school and live all over the country. 

I think with Corrine there are probably many reasons on why she still appears to act and dress like a teen.  I don't think we can blame poor Raquel. 

If I saw a girl who looked like Corrine run up to a man who looked like Nick and wrap her legs around him like children do, I would think think that Nick was her uncle or father.  She can pass for 17 and Nick could pass for 40, so it wouldn't be a stretch at all. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, waving feather said:

I also have no issue with families having a housekeeper / nanny. If they can afford it and the housekeeper is willing to work for the family, why not? It's not slavery, it's just another job.

In some households, there is a definite need for a housekeeper because both parents go to work and they may not have time to do household chores.

We have help only 6 hours per week. I wouldn't want full time live in, even if I could afford it, which I can't. I like my privacy.  Plus housework is good exercise!  

HOW many times did we have to hear Nick have a conversation about "have you ever dated a black girl?"  "Yes I've gone on dates, but never had a relationship."  The show really wanted to hit us over the head with - hey, we finally got a white guy taking a Black girl to hometowns!  cause, yeah, we don't have eyes.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, backformore said:

HOW many times did we have to hear Nick have a conversation about "have you ever dated a black girl?"  "Yes I've gone on dates, but never had a relationship."  The show really wanted to hit us over the head with - hey, we finally got a white guy taking a Black girl to hometowns!  cause, yeah, we don't have eyes.

Yes and I hope the race discussion doesn't continue though the entire season.  I don't care what color she picks, I just want an interesting season.  We are overdue for this.  

• Love 7

I still like Nick more than ever, and I am grateful for the few and far between moments where he is actually able to be as funny as I find him to be (the dressing room!). 

Nevertheless, the "aww" moments are all gone for me now, and my emotions when I am watching Nick with anyone aside from Corinne are

snooze, snooze, CRINGE, snooze, snooze,  snooze, CRINGE, snooze, snooze, snooze, etc. 

The one thing that bugs me to the point of distraction about these hometown dates is that the homes almost always seem rented/fake to me. Something about the way the homes are painted and decorated makes me think that we are almost never seeing people in their actual homes. Try and convince me otherwise, though. 

• Love 2

Delurking to add my few cents.

For a family who was "concerned about racism", Rachel's family sure did a heck of a lot of talking about race and talking about how Nick was not the same race as them.

Andi-You should know how obvious to the viewers  you look. Yes, we know the producers probably contacted you but still. you were the one to break up with Nick before he could pick a ring for you. YOU were the one to write in your book about how he weirded you out so much in the fantasy suite that you could not see yourself spending another day with this man. Not cool that he called you out on AFR, but come on.

Edited by papayagirl
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, zanderkane said:

Never been a big fan of Nick's but I felt sorry for him this week with a lot of the situations production put him in. When Raven's folks were breaking the good cancer news you could see his internal monologue going something like:

Surely they're not gonna break bad cancer news like this are they?....no, phew, okay, it's good cancer news...it's a wonderful moment! I should try to convey how happy I am for the guy...but I don't know him at all...I know, I'll clap! I'll applaud the remission...ooh, no-one's really joining in, guess it's not a clapping kind of family...I know, I'll hug Raven...oh, the dad's going in for one, I guess I'll just sort of supportively rub her shoulder...hey the cop brother is right here beside me I'll turn to him with my happy face and maybe shake his hand or someth...nope, doesn't look like he's down for that...well...this is nice isn't it.

Yes! It's like being the girlfriend at a family funeral and having to stand with sincerely grieving people and greet other grieving people even though you barely knew the deceased. It feels like intruding a moment that you really shouldn't be there for and you don't quite know what to do with yourself. 

Then with the "Do you know what food is?" and the "Corinne's prepared to support you" and Vanessa's mother, sister, and finally her dad with the coup de grace. I mean, Nick's many things but he's not a moron. He surely knows as well as anyone that it's absurd to ask four different girls dads for their blessing in the space of a few days, but I thought it was understood that the production insist on having these scenes in (just like they insist on everyone using the official Bachelor-approved three-tier affection level rating system of "falling in love with...", "love" and "in love"). If I was Nick I would've just looked off-camera at the producer's and gone "guys, can we cut, this guy clearly doesn't get it? He thinks I'm literally asking for permission to marry his daughter..."

Lol at the bolded. And as for Vanessa's dad, agreed that it's awkward to have someone seeming to sincerely ask you something when you're really just playing your part in a script. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

The whole stiletto thing always makes me think of this case.

A $1,500 shoe?  I was trying to figure out the designer from the picture but couldn't.  As a recovered shoe addict, I'm pretty sure it's not a Choo, Manolo or Louboutin (Corinne's Bimini sex shoes which, IMO, should never been worn with pants or jeans).  In any event, I don't believe Raven beat her bf with a designer stiletto since her family doesn't seem that prosperous.

I do wonder if some of the hometown "homes" on this show were rented from HomeAway or Airbnb or if they used exteriors of different houses, particularly Rachel's since her father is a federal judge in a large city.  Several federal judges have been attacked in their homes and they get a lot of hate mail and threats.  

Three of my bffs are federal judges (all of them worked at the same law firm I did before their appointments).  2 are female and wisely kept their maiden names so that, unless anyone knows their husband's last names, the general public can't find out where they live and their houses are solely in their husband's names.  None are allowed to have social media accounts or even email accounts using their actual names.  If I want to have lunch with any of them, I call their chambers at the courthouse and I can only keep up with their vacations, kids, etc. through their spouses' social media accounts.  Rachel's season will be interesting since ABC will have to work around her father's status.

Edited by uoflfan
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, saltycheese said:

The one thing that bugs me to the point of distraction about these hometown dates is that the homes almost always seem rented/fake to me. Something about the way the homes are painted and decorated makes me think that we are almost never seeing people in their actual homes. Try and convince me otherwise, though. 

To my eye, they are their homes but, in many cases, they've been cleaned out and restyled by the show's people/set designers or whoever. I often notice similar window treatments, vases, and suspicious looking "art work" on the walls.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, violet and green said:

suspicious looking "art work" on the walls.

that's probably the same reason that on HGTV or Million Dollar Listing shows the art work is blurred. Otherwise they'd have to pay royalties for showing it. So the homes are probably "staged" to some degree. 

• Love 1

No one has mentioned the ONE thing about Corinne's hometown that stuck out to me the most!!!

When Racquel was serving the family dinner, Corinne mentioned that the girls in the house used Racquel against her, and when her dad asked how they knew about her, she said, "I told them about Raquel, they said that I had a NANNY" (imagine the word "nanny" being said in the snottiest, smarmiest voice that you can imagine).

No Corinne. YOU said that you had a nanny. No one made that up. I'm sure if you had called her a housekeeper who has been with your family since you were young, no one would have thought anything of it.  

UGH. 

• Love 11
On 2/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, saber5055 said:

I pictured the cheating ex coming away from the event covered in a zillion half-inch-round black-and-blue marks, which was a very satisfying mental image for me. So yeay, Team Raven. (Although remember she also "kicked the door in" which added to this spectacularly good story. I wonder if that mental image, now lodged in Nick's brain, will color his fantasy suite invitation to Raven. Imagine the spurned Raven on ATFR! During this episode I couldn't help but think of the stories I read here that Corrine's mom watches this show with Corrine and fully supports Corrine's use of her platinum body parts. A big "Ewww" to that.

Yeah I think production really ramped up that angry southern girl beats boyfriend in spunky redneck rage. If fact I think they've played up the, "spunky redneck girl" all season. And while I'm not saying Raven isn't one iota like this I do think it has been blown way out of proportion. Just like they've played up the self absorbed nanny loving rich girl in Corrine. I think climbing the grain silo and riding the atv's in the rice fields was something Raven did more so as a teenager and not something she does as much as an adult. But I can just hear production say, "let's really show America what a spunky fun loving girl you are Raven. You hit your boyfriend with a stiletto when you caught him cheating? Great we'll need all the graphic details. You ride atv's and climb grain silo's. Perfect! America will love you". They play all these stories up for effect. Which makes it fun to snark on but the reality is never as bad as it seems.

Something I noticed and thought was ironic though. Raven's mother seemed so unassuming, sweet and down to earth. Nothing at all like the key giving, go confront your boyfriend mother I pictured. Corrine's mother on the other hand? I can picture her doing that perfectly.

• Love 4
On 2/23/2017 at 8:24 PM, catrice2 said:

Because this is  scripted show or at least heavily producer directed, or because Rachel's family is not as sophisticated or enlightened as some seem to think they are. 

My personal opinion is it as because this date was clearly designed to be about race, and they had to show every part of any conversation that dealt with that.  As someone pointed out, many Southern people of all races eat the foods that were on that plate and even some people who live in the north.  I'm sure Paula Deen has a recipe for every one of them.  Why, if RACHEL who they had not seen for a while and was bringing home an important date, would the mom make okra when Rachel said she doesn't like it?

I only watched once and was engaged in another activity.  Could it possibly have been a joke?  I actually missed the question and only heard Nick's response so I had to figure it out from the boards.  I did, however, cringe at many things I saw on all the hometown dates.  They all were some stereotype in one way or another. 

Raven- the small country town where people roll in the mud with bugs and go to grain bins....and ride ATVs 

Corinne- The whole shopping and having a servant - spoiled little rich girl 

Vanessa- the traditional loud, boisterous and protective Italian family with a father acting like a mob boss 

Rachel- The black girl with the big gospel church and the Guess Who is Coming to Dinner vibe 

Maybe they are always like this, but I was insulted as a viewer. .

Yes they are! And your post was very accurate. As a Bachelor newbie I think you are now starting to understand and get it..lol.

• Love 3

Vanessa Really gets me as she Uses her students as her personal fan club/ and promoter and ego-kisser.    First the "All about wonderful me and my prettiest pictures" scrapbook that she had them make. Then the "fan club" reception. ("Show Nick how much you adore me"! )  Does she seriously think they want to put together an "all about Nick and me" scrapbook?   Acts as if she's Mother Teresa for being a special ed teacher.   Are all her classes "all about Vanessa?"    The "Special" in special ed does not refer to YOU,  you self-absorbed ass.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
On 2/24/2017 at 4:52 AM, saltycheese said:

I think some refresh their decor with a trip to Home Goods or Ikea, for wall "art."  It could be that production arrives with some items to give a neutral background.  Their homes are real though.  That is obvious to me. 

On 2/23/2017 at 6:24 PM, catrice2 said:

As someone pointed out, many Southern people of all races eat the foods that were on that plate and even some people who live in the north.

Trust me, we eat brisket, mac and cheese, beans and yes, okra in New England.  Okra common in  Middle Eastern food.  The south doesn't have a corner on the market in many foods they claim!  :^) 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
On 2/24/2017 at 3:52 AM, saltycheese said:

I think there were a couple of times where the homes were "rented" because the family is not rooted in just one place to do a proper "hometown". IIRC, this was why they did Desiree's hometown in Los Angeles during Sean's season, and later on all of them said that's not really Des' place, or her family. Or something like that. The details are hazy now.

One of the more "real" homes I've seen in recent years was Catherine's in Sean's season. It's small, cozy, and poor Sean was barely able to move around. IIRC, when Catherine and her sister were talking in the bedroom, the room was small that the bed was almost touching the walls. Kudos to the producers for not putting Catherine's family in a more "TV friendly" home.

• Love 2

I know I mentioned Vanessa and the kids,but not necessarily about her as an individual.  It annoys me how some people hear that a person has a certain profession and automatically attach something to that about that person's character.  I worked in Special Ed and it amazed me that when I was out and people would ask what I do they would immediately thank me, or say God Bless you or act as if I were a saint without knowing me as a person!  I could be abusive, neglectful, etc.  Just because people have a certain title doesn't mean that they embody everything that SHOULD go along with that title.  There have been many priests, doctors, etc.working with poor or disabled people who misused their position.  My point is, there are bad people doing good things.  I am sure (hopefully) that Vanessa is a great teacher that really cares for her students, but just because she has a title we shouldn't assume that,or project the great people that we have known that were in those positions on to her..or assume that every person that holds that title have good intentions. As I stated in another post I have worked with people who loved touting that they worked with Special Needs students and trotting them out and seeking rewards for themselves.   Unfortunately some of these people were not very good or caring towards the children, but liked the accolades they got from working with them. (And complained profusely about it) 

I can also tell you that there is a difference in working with Special Needs students that are adults than those that are younger and still learning to deal with their disabilities, and  also if you are working with all Int. Disabled people, or some that are Autistic, etc.  Of course I don't think she bamboozled anyone into participating or anything like that and if they wanted to be on there that is great. I think the producers talked her into it.  I cared no more to actually see her students after knowing her profession than I wanted to see one of Taylor's mental health patients, Kristina digging in someone's teeth or the Doula having one of her patient's legs spread while she assisted in a delivery.   Did everyone go "ahhh, Liz is so sweet," after finding out she helps pregnant mothers?  Dealing with Mental Health patients is one of the most admirable things I think someone can do, but I have no idea of Taylor is good at it and she doesn't get "extra points" for choosing a certain profession.  All of those things are wonderful, but so is being a lawyer, business owner or swimming with the sharks....errr dolphins. 

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I know I mentioned Vanessa and the kids,but not necessarily about her as an individual.  It annoys me how some people hear that a person has a certain profession and automatically attach something to that about that person's character.  I worked in Special Ed and it amazed me that when I was out and people would ask what I do they would immediately thank me, or say God Bless you or act as if I were a saint without knowing me as a person!  I could be abusive, neglectful, etc.  Just because people have a certain title doesn't mean that they embody everything that SHOULD go along with that title.  

So very true. I know a lot of people who work with people/kids with special needs and honestly they're all kinda assholes, so the mere fact that someone is a special ed teacher tells you nothing about their character.

• Love 6
On 2/20/2017 at 10:38 PM, RHJunkie said:

Sucks that they unveiled The Bachelorette but I'm interested to see how he explains his decision to send her home.

Nick: Rachel, will you accept this rose?

Rachel: Nope, I'm going to be the Bachelorette!

• Love 4
On 2/23/2017 at 2:48 PM, MsPH said:

It might've been the best olive on a scale of "utterly vile" to "mildly disgusting".

That's how I read the olive situation too. It looked to me like he probably does not in fact like olives at all, but didn't want to be rude by refusing, so he ate it. If that is indeed the case, "best olive he's ever had" was an impressively diplomatic answer. Sounds like a compliment without actually lying and claiming to like it.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well if it's any consolation, judging by the comments on this board, no one's nominating her for sainthood for being a Special Needs Teacher - you know, what with her gross exploitation of them and all. 

Yea, I really didn't see that as gross exploitation. Honestly it was one of the rare times when I really enjoyed Vanessa. She just seemed so happy, relaxed, and competent. And I thought it was clear that her students really adored her and that made me like Vanessa more. I didn't even think anything of the bikini pics until it was mentioned here and while I agree that is probably a bit out of bounds, I didn't think it was that bad.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, seasick said:

Vanessa Really gets me as she Uses her students as her personal fan club/ and promoter and ego-kisser.    First the "All about wonderful me and my prettiest pictures" scrapbook that she had them make. Then the "fan club" reception. ("Show Nick how much you adore me"! )  Does she seriously think they want to put together an "all about Nick and me" scrapbook?   Acts as if she's Mother Teresa for being a special ed teacher.   Are all her classes "all about Vanessa?"    The "Special" in special ed does not refer to YOU,  you self-absorbed ass.

Yes, I think making a "Nick and Vanessa"  scrapbook was not a good idea for a special needs adult class.   How about Nick and Vanessa teaching them something? ( something other than how to use a glue stick)  Plus, what if she doesn't get that final rose?  Or does, but it doesn't work out?  There's no reason to involve a classroom full of special needs students in their teacher's love life.   If she gets engaged, fine, let them celebrate.  But while she's still "competing"  to win, maybe they don't need to get involved. 

• Love 7

It seemed clear to me that production came up with the scrapbook plan for Vanessa's students.  The supplies were all there and ready to go.  She would not have access to pictures of them together!  Production took the stills from footage.  

• Love 1

I completely disagree with the bashing of Vanessa's hometown date activity (except for the bikini pictures). I thought it was very sweet - the love between her and her students was palpable. And that was the only substantive date of the four. I guess I'm not seeing why Vanessa is seen by many in such a negative light.

If anything, while I love Rachel, I felt like the church service was more manipulative.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, nonnybaby said:

I completely disagree with the bashing of Vanessa's hometown date activity (except for the bikini pictures). I thought it was very sweet - the love between her and her students was palpable. And that was the only substantive date of the four. I guess I'm not seeing why Vanessa is seen by many in such a negative light.

If anything, while I love Rachel, I felt like the church service was more manipulative.

I agree.  Her students were adults for cryin' out loud.  

The church service was inappropriate as was asking Nick if he was familiar with the food on his dinner plate. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, wings707 said:

The church service was inappropriate as was asking Nick if he was familiar with the food on his dinner plate. 

All were more than likely producer manipulated.  I can't imagine surprising my person with a church service when this is the only opportunity for him to see where I live and meet my family.....unless (which was not shown) her faith had been the topic of conversation with them constantly.  You can find out how a person feels about religion without taking them to your church.  I  don't however, think a date to a church lacks substance. 

The plate thing was just stupid.  

I don't think Vanessa's students are being unfairly singled out.  There have been many posts about the inappropriateness of what you mentioned, as well as Raquel apparently ummm doing her job on camera, and Raven and Nick being exposed to god knows what by rolling around in a swamp just so they could be wet on television.....all of it was just stupid to me and as I stated above I was insulted by the cartoon characterizations of all of the dates. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Yes, they are ADULTS.   And capable of expressing themselves their own way.    Giving them photos and glue sticks, and then praising them for assembling a project that required no creativity, seemed to me, to be condescending.     Make ME a scrapbook by putting photos of ME on a paper with this glue stick.  Yeay!  good job! you made  something - for ME!   

• Love 2
5 hours ago, backformore said:

Yes, they are ADULTS.   And capable of expressing themselves their own way.    Giving them photos and glue sticks, and then praising them for assembling a project that required no creativity, seemed to me, to be condescending.

My aunt who is mentally handicapped would have loved it. And she would have been so excited to be on TV. Maybe these folks were happy to be on TV. Maybe they were happy to do something nice for their teacher. Maybe we should give them some credit for having enough of their own sense of self to know if they wanted to be on or not rather than acting like they can't make this decision for themselves. They all seemed more than able to make the decision to appear and probably wanted to.

• Love 7

I don't know, its the sexualising aspect I find uncomfortable. They may be adults but it is a general boundary that a teacher does not usually cross with their students. They weren't fun photos of their teacher making flapjacks, skiing, or enjoying the view. She was in a bikini and smooching with this random man she and 20 other women are dating. I would think it would be confusing to say the least, and rather unkind given many of her students are grown men with their own sexuality that should not ideally be being stimulated by their teacher. It just seems wrong to me. But  then the whole show is wrong and I am watching it currently for 95% wrong reasons...

• Love 11
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

But  then the whole show is wrong and I am watching it currently for 95% wrong reasons...

While we are watching this for at least 95% of the wrong reasons, let us not forget this is our "journey" not our "process".  Bring on tonight's escapades.  Wine or a couple of valium usually up the entertainment factor considerably.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/26/2017 at 3:14 PM, backformore said:

Yes, I think making a "Nick and Vanessa"  scrapbook was not a good idea for a special needs adult class.   How about Nick and Vanessa teaching them something? ( something other than how to use a glue stick)  Plus, what if she doesn't get that final rose?  Or does, but it doesn't work out?  There's no reason to involve a classroom full of special needs students in their teacher's love life.   If she gets engaged, fine, let them celebrate.  But while she's still "competing"  to win, maybe they don't need to get involved. 

Jesus, I'm just watching this shit now and it pisses me off.  Can we not use this show to exploit people with special needs?  And Vanessa may be the greatest teacher in the world but everything about that episode made me think, "Lord, save me from this life with special needs peasants."  The vibe from her is not loving at all to me but phony.  

I will say at least her father and sister seemed aghast at this whole thing.  I can't imagine how painful it would be to watch your family member participate in this ridiculous charade.  

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Can we not use this show to exploit people with special needs?

How where they being exploited? They weren't made to compete for anything, they did a craft project for a teacher they clearly adore and they got to be on TV. Or are we just to assume that because they are special needs they wouldn't want to be on the show and were being held there against their will? From what I saw they were excited and happy to be a part of it. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. They got to be on TV. I can imagine them telling their friends to watch because they were going to be on a national TV show. They were probably thrilled. Or are we saying they don't have the right to be on a crappy tv show? As someone with a special needs aunt I find it insulting to think they were exploited because I know she would have been so excited to be on the show and would think it was cool, so I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind this feeling that they are being exploited.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

How where they being exploited? They weren't made to compete for anything, they did a craft project for a teacher they clearly adore and they got to be on TV. Or are we just to assume that because they are special needs they wouldn't want to be on the show and were being held there against their will? From what I saw they were excited and happy to be a part of it. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. They got to be on TV. I can imagine them telling their friends to watch because they were going to be on a national TV show. They were probably thrilled. Or are we saying they don't have the right to be on a crappy tv show? As someone with a special needs aunt I find it insulting to think they were exploited because I know she would have been so excited to be on the show and would think it was cool, so I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind this feeling that they are being exploited.

Exploit was not the right word, but it bugs me to no end when TEACHERS use their position on the bachelor.  Earlier this year, there was another teacher whose kids made cards during class about her being on this show.  And that pissed me off.  These students should not waste one fucking minute of their lives working on ANYTHING reality show related.  Whether they love it or not isn't my concern; it's just a matter of the appropriateness of having students addressing this farce of a show.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 3

Thank you for the answer sasha206. That makes more sense. The show does love to get into the classroom. The time it really bothered me was the "sex talk" on, was it Katelyn's season? Probably. If I were a parent I would have been furious that my kid was being talked to about sex by the idiots on this show. So, yeah, when I think about it that way, I get it. Again, thank you for responding. I was genuinely curious because everyone does see things so very differently. It's what makes these forums so interesting. I'm always learning to look at things a different way.

• Love 2

I'd love to see a season where a teacher says, "Look at what my kids sent me!  Their homework.  They wanted to show me they were listening to the substitute & getting good marks while I'm here." 

• Love 4

Haha, followed by a scene were all the other girls are out at the pool getting drunk while the teacher is inside grading papers. Does this show film in the summer, while school is out or do these teachers actually take part of the school year off to do this show? I mean, yeah, it's the same as all of them taking time off I guess, but that's gotta be weird for the kids. "where's Miss Vanessa?" "She's off trying to win her a man!" hahaha

• Love 2