Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Judging Whitney

• Start Topic

Whitney's big festival performance leads to a cat fight with a rival dancer; Whitney's world gets rocked when Lennie shows up with a new woman; forced to get real with Roy, Whitney lays everything on the table hoping he returns her affections.

BORING !

Whitney fat shamed herself.  So, she would have a boyfriend if she wasn't fat?  Isn't that something she would lambaste (or just baste) for saying?

This episode seemed to rely on every old and worn out idea TLC has ever used.  Whitney has a party and is miserable.  Whitney breaks something in a store. Hey don't pay for the repair or apologize, you and your fellow famewhore mom just keep walking.

Show Buddy's ass in his 5 sizes too small pants again. 

There is nothing fabulous about Whitney, her friends or her family.  Oh, for some reason I get a very creepy vibe from her friend Donna.

Big shocker .....Roy rejects her.  He is secretly dating Karyn Feehan.  :)

• Love 22

This episode was a real bummer after all that pregnancy drama. I had so much second hand embarrassment with that folk "performance" that I almost felt bad for Whitney. There was simply no point to it and no one was really there; they could've set up the Jiya rivalry another way. So much cringe all around. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pfj99 said:

What the heck is "flirking"?

Talk-flirting.

Babs does not give great pep talks does she?  "I've always had a man, there are some who can do that, and some who can't"  WTF?

• Love 17

I'm surprised Babs has to ask her why she's having so much trouble getting and keeping a man.  Oh, maybe because she's crass, loud and completely unattractive as a person?  Gee, ya think??  Talk about the "elephant in the room"!  (Bad joke, LOL)

Tell me we all didn't see THAT coming a mile away with Roy.  Of course Whitney, the supreme narcissist thinks men are all gaga over her when they aren't interested at all.  Even WE could see that as plain as day!!  It just "doesn't click" with anyone because she is completely BLIND about men plus it's all about HER all the time.  Oh, so now she's blaming being FAT for being single?  Yeah, just no.  Look in the mirror, it's not even that, it's that she is just completely insufferable.

Dance class rival diva was told to be bitchy by the producers.  Ho-hum.  Not interesting, just more manufactured garbage.

• Love 17

Hilarious that the folk festival organizers apparently got word My Big Fat Fabulous Life was pretending Whitney was an invited performer, so they moved the time she could use their stage from 11:30am to 11:00am. Since the actual festival opened at noon, I think they wanted to put more time between whatever-the-hell she planned to do on their stage and the beginning of the actual festival.  (And to have some random person, wearing a National Folk Festival t-shirt that was available for sale, walk on the stage to announce the performance was TLC's attempt to flimflam the TV audience. The live audience just stayed away.)

• Love 19

Twit, he's just not that into you.....  (either of them, just saying)

TLC, the "Roy has the hots for Whitney" and the "Whitney has a fabulous life" horses are now glue, please move on.

During her TH segments, she's starting to look more and more like a T. rex. (short arms, big body). That blue top did her no favors.

• Love 5

I thought that was a suPERlative episode, just for the sheer trainwreckery.

A theme party featuring the barnacles! Lennie with a new, hotter, girlfriend--who actually seemed like a nice person. Twit couldn't even be bothered to get off the couch and introduce herself. I'm pretty sure Babs would have instilled in Twit some knowledge of the role of a hostess. 

I wondered whether Roy's statement that the restaurant was where some of "Shallow Hal" had been filmed was a setup for Twit breaking a chair. That whole thing was painful to watch. 

Lis it typical for the instructor to always be front and center in a dance performance? Twit dancing with a shit-eating grin plastered to her face, that was also painful.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Pfj99 said:

What the heck is "flirking"?

According to the urban dictionary, flirking means flirting in the workplace.

What drink was Buddy supposed to be?

I think I heard Whitney say he was a Red Headed Slut.

Edited by swankie
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Honey said:

Talk-flirting.

Babs does not give great pep talks does she?  "I've always had a man, there are some who can do that, and some who can't"  WTF?

I thought it was flirting at work! LOL@me!

ETA: Oh. Now that I've read ALL the posts, I guess it IS flirting at work.  :) LOL!

Edited by LocalGovt
  • Love 3

If Whitney wants me to buy into BGDC being a real thing, the ladies need to have one solid go to routine. If they supposedly meet on the regular they shouldn't be learning a new dance every time they have a performance. 

I wonder if Roy had a meeting with the producers and told them they needed to cut the bullshit with the Roy has the hot pants for Whitney crap. It was pretty disrespectful to his relationship and not believable enough to be worth any trouble at home.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 23

What a boring ass party! Woo-hoo, let's get the hired barnacle band together at 1pm and GET DOWN and PARTY! I've been to livelier funerals.  

Fake invite to the Folk Festival. It's like a bunch of random weirdos crashed the stage to "dance". C'mon people, get some self-respect. Very lame.

The Roy thing - Twit is getting into bunny boiler territory. Just because someone is kind to you, it doesn't mean they are deep in adoration of you.

I love the other dance teacher telling Twit that they sucked. It was great, I know it's a set up, but it was interesting how her social barnacles automatically come to Twit's aid. It's like a Pavlovian response or something. Weird.

Edited by Pers
wordz
  • Love 8

I've seen all the episodes since Whit went to work at the the radio station and imo, Roy has flirted with her.  Whether it's in their arrangement or not, is unclear.  But, it adds interest and I think he's cute.  Perhaps, we'll eventually see if he does have a girlfriend.  Do I think that he is really interested in Whitney?  Probably not.  

I don't think that Whitney really believes that she is without a boyfriend due to her weight.  Plenty of obese people have partners, spouses, lovers, etc.  But, I can see how she might feel a little rejected, dejected, down over Roy saying no thank you.  I did think that Babs comment about some women can keep a man was rather out of place.  I hope they made her say it.  I can't see her really wanting to hurt Whit that way.  

I thought the cocktail themed party sounded fun.  I'd be bummed if my ex brought a date too, if I wasn't expecting it EVEN if I had no real feelings for him. It's just natural.  Did anyone bring gifts? I thought that's what you did at a house warming.

Seriously, Buddy seems to have something wrong going on with him.  His eyes look off and his speech is slurred.  NOT GOOD.  He seems impaired.  

The show is a little more scripted than it needs to be imo, but, at least they are not making Whit to look so evil this season....so far. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 11

Who invites their parents to their party? And then everybody just stands around Whitney while she sits her fat ass on the sofa. Oh, that sounds like so much fun. NOT.

Whitney, honey, being fat is only part of the reason you can't keep a man. The other part is your loud, self centered, obnoxious personality. Get a clue. 

Why are Whits two gay guy friend in her fat girl dance class? That makes no sense. I like both of those guys,but why do they put up with Whitney? 

Yea, I get the feeling Roy just didn't want to play the fake game anymore and put a stop to it. 

Buddy is disgusting. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 12

Whitney, what the FUCK were you thinking dressing in drag for your party? Todd was 100% right, you needed to be trying to look good if your ex is showing up, and the guy you desperately want to bang *might* show up. Moron.

BTW, I didn't know Roy was only 24. Yikes. That is WAY too young. I know, some folks make it work, but Whitney needs someone older that will force her to grow the fuck up a bit. I guess it makes sense that Whit would be attracted to a guy who is barely out of college.

• Love 10

So my opinion on Roy is that lots of people flirt at work, and Roy's whole job is banter and joking around.  I was a teacher of students with emotional problems - I'm sure it's a lot easier for me to say, "You're being inappropriate; knock it off" than it is for him :). And really he shouldn't have to - he has said he has a girlfriend; end of story.  If Whitney can't handle "flirking" she should stay out of it.

Also, from my life experience, Babs is right - some women do always seem to "have a man" and others do not.  As a "have not" myself, it used to really bother me - until I realized that my friends who always "had one" didn't always have a good one.  Thankfully they all ended up with good ones, but in lean times they were very "any port in a storm" and I myself didn't care for that :). And Whitney's tearful comments to Babs did not show any heartbreak that the man she loved wasn't interested - she was all "I was counting on him" and "I thought I had him in the bag" and "especially because I'm newly single."  In other words - all about her and how Roy could be of service and benefit to her ego.  And thank you Todd, Unlikely Voice of Reason - if she thinks her romantic interest and her ex are coming to her party, fake facial hair is not the look she should be sporting :)

Dance career?  You take your group to perform on two rehearsals, can't come up with a better name for the performances than "Big Girls Dance Class" and think that what you did was an enormous amount of physical and emotional energy?  Girl, that's not even hobby level, let alone a career.

Did anyone else notice that when the girl Jiya called the radio station and said she had a class like Whitney's and wanted her to come, Whit looked PISSED until she said she was inviting her as an "inspiration" - suddenly the sun broke through the cloud and Whit was all smiles again!  haha

Edited by princelina
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, princelina said:

And thank you Todd, Unlikely Voice of Reason - if she thinks her romantic interest and her ex are coming to her party, fake facial hair is not the look she should be sporting :)

I am totally going to hell because my first thought was "IS that facial hair fake?" We all remember the season 1 moments where Whit kept having to shave and tweeze everything.

I also noticed Whitney fat-shaming herself. She is clearly MISERABLE being so big. She ain't fooling anyone, including herself, that she is happy at nearly 400 lb. You guys, she has *never tied anything around her waist because she is so huge no sleeves are long enough.* That is blowing my mind.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, fountain said:

At this stage I am beginning to see how Whit ended up with a food addiction.  At first I thought she was just a spoiled brat but the more you see of her family the more you see the cracks in their facade.

I have posted several times about how I think there is deep dysfunction in the Thore family.   Babs whole being rests on her extremely limited modeling career which probably is one or two photos in some local paper.  The father is weak and stood by silently instead of reeling Babs in.   

It is evident to me in almost every episode.

• Love 17

I still don't know what Whitney meant when she repeatedly refused to believe that Roy had a girlfriend. Was she trying to imply he was too fat and/or too unattractive to have a girlfriend? Was she trying to imply he was gay? Was she trying to imply that anyone who, in her mind, would "flirk' with her couldn't possibly have any other attachment?  Was she trying to imply that he was just a liar in general? What could her reasoning possibly be? And how could her smirking refusal to believe his perfectly plain statement that he had a girlfriend who preferred not to put their relationship on public display be anything but disrespectful? I thought Roy was being gracious beyond all requirements when he let her down gently at the restaurant - -  and that was before I realized he was eight or nine years younger than she was!

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

I still don't know what Whitney meant when she repeatedly refused to believe that Roy had a girlfriend. Was she trying to imply he was too fat and/or too unattractive to have a girlfriend?

Honestly, I think so. I think she figured Roy would never get a girlfriend because he is "huge like me!" That also explains why she told Babs that she thought Roy was "a slam dunk," like it was so obvious that he would date her that she never doubted it for a second. 

• Love 9

Glad we can finally stick a fork in the whole "Roy wants me" storyline and be done with it.  No, he was never "flirking".  He was being open and engaging and friendly.  Some people just have that kind of personality, and I'm sure he uses it with everyone.  But because he's a bigger guy, I'm sure the other people never assume he's flirting with them and want them.  They assume, rightly, that he's just a friendly guy.

I guess Twit better change the name of her "dance" class to "Big Girls (and Two Gay Guys) Dance Class".  And Jiya speaks the truth.  But you also know she's a TLC plant, just like Kerryn was.  She's supposed to make us feel sorry for poor, bullied Twit, and cheer for evul Jiya's take down.  Sorry TLC.  Ain't gonna happen.  I'm rooting for Jiya.

The actress playing the Lenny character's girl friend is cute.  What was her name again?  I wonder if we'll find out the actress' name is an anagram of the character's name, like Nathaniel and Lenny?  And I wonder what the Donna character player's real name is?  But yeah, what a lame party that looked like.  Host sits on the couch and sends shade towards her guests.  Such subtle side-eye there, Twit.  At least no one seemed to be giving her expensive house warming gifts, so there's that. 

ETA:  Twit kept saying that the Dance Festival "invited" her group to dance.  Too bad we know the real truth - TLC asked the festival if they could use the stage for filming before the festival began.  The festival wants nothing to do with Twit and her delusions of being a professional dancer.  They (and we) know the truth.

Edited by Ocean Chick
  • Love 20
10 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I wish someone from the festival would come forward NOW and set the record straight. Because it would tickle me.

On Tuesday, The Festival tweeted something to the effect of "Tonight see reality star Whitney Thore film a segment of her TLC TV show "MBFFL" at the Festival."  Heh.

• Love 4

The girlfriend's name is Jana.

Tell me, what does a fake mustache and beard on Twit have to do with a Long Island Iced Tea?

When I was young, I had no trouble finding boyfriends and keeping them, or getting interest from guys I didn't want.  It wasn't my looks, believe me, but because I was a good listener and easy to talk to.  They felt comfortable with me.  Who could ever feel comfortable with Twit? Roy seems like a guy who is easy to talk to and comfortable to be with.  And he sure seems more mature than 24.

• Love 4

My opinion of Whitney and the Roy thing, is that its a typical case of the typical Z list reality star. Industrial strength delusions.  She thinks she is fabulous and everyone wants her.   Well, almost except in a rare moment of candor she talks about how her weight is a factor.     

But, I agree with the poster who says its actually more her terrible personality and being self absorbed that makes her unlikable. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Ocean Chick said:

But yeah, what a lame party that looked like.  Host sits on the couch and sends shade towards her guests.  Such subtle side-eye there, Twit.  At least no one seemed to be giving her expensive house warming gifts, so there's that. 

Yeah, why isn't she dancing, at least?

12 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Tell me, what does a fake mustache and beard on Twit have to do with a Long Island Iced Tea?

She was lamely pretending to be the rapper/actor Ice Tea :

ice tea.jpg

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 5

It seemed fun to me.  I think having a reason to dress up and use some creativity for a party is fun.  And if you have a tv show that's filming, it's even better.

I like Tau and Todd(?) is that his name.  I think they are funny in their own right and they keep Whitney in check.  They seem to be honest with Whit and call her on her BS. 

I did have to laugh last night when Whit shared how she felt bad when she walked into a room and felt the furniture shake.  Buddy said, that happens to other people too.  I suppose that he was trying to make her feel better.  I do wish that she would think that, hey, when the furniture is shaking when you enter a room, it's time to get serious with some life saving health measures.  I'm not sure we'll see it happen. I do have even more concern for BUDDY"S health situation. Something is definitely happening there.  Is he no longer dating Whit's girlfriend?  I haven't seen them together as a couple this season.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

Look at My 600lb Life. Even women twice her weight can get a man. In her  case, I think it's her personality. 

Oh, her personality doesn't help at all, but on 600-lb Life I don't think I've seen one husband/boyfriend who wasn't a fat fetishist. Whitney's said she doesn't want that. But she's not going to get a "normal" male who's attracted to "normal" females when she's 400 pounds, though of course being Whitney she thinks all the men should change what they like in order to accommodate her food addiction.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ocean Chick said:

ETA:  Twit kept saying that the Dance Festival "invited" her group to dance.  Too bad we know the real truth - TLC asked the festival if they could use the stage for filming before the festival began.  The festival wants nothing to do with Twit and her delusions of being a professional dancer.  They (and we) know the truth.

I was involved in the folk arts world for a long time. My mother was a folk dancing teacher and took student groups to perform all over the world. We often played host family to traveling students. I've spent a lot of time at the John C. Campbell folk school and I attend the Christmas Country Dance School (a week of nothing but folk dancing, arts, and shape note singing) every year. These people are VERY picky about what goes on at these things and there is quite a bit of snobbery involved. 

I bet they are smoking out the ears over Whit's claims of being "invited."

• Love 8
49 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I like Tau and Todd(?) is that his name.  I think they are funny in their own right and they keep Whitney in check.  They seem to be honest with Whit and call her on her BS. 

I liked them until they ganged up on Kerryn and bullied her on the reunion show. And while I think they call out Whitney to an extent, they never go far enough to actually piss her off. They placate her just as much as the others, my guess is so that they can continue to film the show. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 10
36 minutes ago, okerry said:

Oh, her personality doesn't help at all, but on 600-lb Life I don't think I've seen one husband/boyfriend who wasn't a fat fetishist. Whitney's said she doesn't want that. But she's not going to get a "normal" male who's attracted to "normal" females when she's 400 pounds, though of course being Whitney she thinks all the men should change what they like in order to accommodate her food addiction.

Agreed.  Also a majority of the husbands seem to be acting as caregivers so they can get an additional county check.  But just on personality alone I can see Whitney being a turnoff.  Who really wants a gal who brays like a donkey, loves farting in faces and doesn't wear shoes?  I'd have a real problem if my brother brought such a gal home even if she was a size 6.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Tinfoil Hat said:

Is it typical for the instructor to always be front and center in a dance performance? Twit dancing with a shit-eating grin plastered to her face, that was also painful.

What? Michael Flatley always did it that way! Whitney's the latest Lord of the Dance, that's all!2693AF3900000578-2991839-image-a-82_1426

• Love 10

Whitney's friends are doing her a real disservice by constantly blowing smoke up her butt. I understand that friends are there to boost you when you're down and be supportive.But there's boosting and syncophancy. And they are most definitely in the latter category. And her parents are the worst kind of enablers. She's living in a complete bubble and will be in a world of hurt when that bubble bursts...I.e when her social barnacles are no longer famewhoring on the TLC gravy train. 

• Love 8

Whitney seems like a fun person, but the reason why she has a hard time having a real relationship is because she keeps things on a superficial level. Her interactions with her friends are mostly performances. For example, fishing for compliments from Buddy by asking what makes her desirable from a man's perspective, then acting all scandalized when he said she was a freak in the sheets. Come on, Whitney. That's exactly what she was hoping to hear and that's tame compared to the things she would say about herself. Her fake shock at Buddy's willingness to "go there" is what makes Whitney hard to take in terms of trying to build a long-term, real relationship. Entertaining, but surface level interaction with her supposed best friend when she's having a supposed real conversation where she wants to understand how to change the pattern of her failed relationships. The only time Whitney seems real to me is when she's crying. Then her real thoughts come out.

I think she has a bad case of double-think. She resents that most people assume that obese women are depressed, lonely, and insecure, so she wants to present an image that's the opposite of that, but at the same time, that's exactly what she is. On facebook a while back, I saw that she was going back and forth with one of her fans who called her out for being unkind to a man who left the comment "I wish you could see yourself the way I see you, then you would know how beautiful you really are" (paraphrased). The fan didn't like that Whitney responded angrily to something that was a compliment, and Whitney explained how it's not a compliment for a man to think that a woman doesn't know her beauty until a man tells her. I understand her sentiment, and most young feminists would be patting her on the back for saying that, but in reality, Whitney DOES want reassurance from men that she's beautiful. That's why she asked Buddy to list the ways that men like her. She just also wants to be seen as a strong, confident fat woman, so she has to put on an act. Most people would like her a lot more if she were just genuine.

• Love 21

I'm questioning too why Glenn & Babs were at the party.  It seems they've been showing up at any gathering including the bowling birthday party last week and to an extent, Babs going to the Gay pride Festival.  I'm sure it has to be producer driven for the show but it drives me nuts. Don't they have friends of their own to hang around with?

All Whit & Babs  have to do is watch last season to figure out why Whit can't get & keep a man. (Rolling around on the floor & having your boss massage you on your first day of work, stalking your boyfriend,  dressing inappropriately & looking like crap most of the time just to name a few.)  I like how her & Babs didn't even mention paying for the broken chair.  Hopefully  TLC  took care of it. 

Did anyone else notice when Whit was describing Roy to Babs, she said something like "he's nice and he has a job or works?"  It was like a new phenomenon to Whit to actually find a guy who has a real job. 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, M.F. Luder said:

She just also wants to be seen as a strong, confident fat woman, so she has to put on an act. Most people would like her a lot more if she were just genuine.

This is a really good point. It's like she took the mantra "fake it 'til you make it" and figured faking it = making it. No, you fake it UNTIL you make it, Whit. You obviously haven't made it yet. You may never "make it" (to strong and confident) at this rate. She lacks the insight to be truly confident with herself.

• Love 6