Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Love Hurts

Too much of a Maddie centric episode. I did like her scene with Juliette though, are we ever going to reunite Deacon and Juliette on screen again together?!?! I miss them as friends. 

I also don't care about Scarlett and Gunners music video but I wish I did. 

Raynas stalker is scary as hell thats for sure. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 3

Gunnar's hair looked stupid in the music video.

Scarlett was an annoying bitch this episode. What is wrong with her and why is Scarlett seen to be so much better then Gunnar. Did I miss something?

Meh to Maddie and her SL.

Stupid episode.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 4

Hi, I'm new here, but I registered so I could comment. In my opinion, this was the worst Nashville episode ever. I couldn't hate it any more than I do. I was really looking forward to these new writers, but I'm starting to wonder if they can still write for a television series.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Marley said:

Scarlett was an annoying bitch this episode. What is wrong with her and why is Scarlett seen to be so much better then Gunnar. Did I miss something?

I think I would really love this story if I hadn't actually seen the story of Gunnar and Scarlett.  Based on things the director said, I think Nashville really would love to be telling the country cliche of the put upon woman who stands by her man even when he's a bastard.  (Think Tammy Wynette and George Jones). They talk as if Gunnar had just gone out and cheated on Scarlett with women on tour...etc.  Granted, I don't have a great memory of this duo who I find boring as heck but that's not the way I remember their story going.  Yes, Gunnar dated people perhaps too close to Scarlett but is that really the betrayal they're portraying it as?

So that part of the story is hard to swallow.  Otherwise, I kind of dug the argument the director and Scarlett were having about artistic vision.  And having it hint back at her previous issues with performance. Although I don't think she ever gave him what he was asking for even when he seemed pleased.  That kind of push/pull feels real to me and I liked that both sides were given their due rather it simply being that an artist must remain 'true' to who they are in all aspects of their branding.

I didn't even mind Clay and Maddie as much as I thought I would but goodness I don't know why they decided to beat up Clay, broach the subject of their age difference, introduce his bipolar disorder and cover with the potential issues facing an interracial couple all in one episode.  Sheesh people, you do have 22 episodes.  Maddie is still one helluva brat.  After everything that happened, she's going to pull attitude that her parents weren't happy she was out all night without ever letting them know where she was? 

• Love 8

The Scarlett and Gunner epic romance is.. actually not that epic? They got together right after his brother died and pretty much at the tail end of season one. And then Gunner stole his brothers songs and become a music star based on them but was forced to take on his brothers personality so Scarlett broke up with him. He didn't cheat on her, she was just mad that he was blowing her off-which granted, he was- and then he proposed in the season finale. And then in season 2, she started dating Avery again-who was MIA, along with Baby Cadence, the hell was that show?-and he started to date Zoey. And then in the following seasons, she started to date the doctor and he was dating random people. He didn't owe anything to her at that point and time. She made it clear she was done with him. So, yeah. Gunner looks like the bad guy a lot. I don't think he is.

• Love 8

If this is what they brought the show back for, it was a waste of time. I. DO. NOT. CARE. ABOUT. MADDIE. I keep saying it, & her part keeps getting bigger & bigger. I think they're trying to get the young audience which is what Juliette was originally for, but no one cares.

I don't even understand what that whole video thing was, the video itself was just stupid, & spending half the episode watching the asshole of a director scream at Scarlett isn't interesting. 

My DVR cut out when the stalker appeared, did anything interesting happen after Rayna put her hands over her mouth?

• Love 7

Well at least they didn't have the stalker be the Silicon Valley guy who's investing. Glad it was just some rando.

No more Maddie. No offence to the actress, who I think is doing all the can with it, but the whiny bratty horrible way TV depicts all teens and their dramas has been done to death. No One CARES!

Ditto Gunnar and Scarlett. That overly sensitive character is ridiculous. Pull on your big girl panties and ACT in the damn video. it's no reflection of who you are as a person. Have fun with pretending to be someone else. her mulititude of issues is exhausting.

All that said, I guess they have to have dramatic things happen in order to have something happen. We can simply watch Avery an Juliette slowly rebuilding and rebonding, although honestly that's all I want out of it. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, CrystalMoon said:

Hi, I'm new here, but I registered so I could comment. In my opinion, this was the worst Nashville episode ever. I couldn't hate it any more than I do. I was really looking forward to these new writers, but I'm starting to wonder if they can still write for a television series.

so the new writers act like the old ones in that in 1 episode were supposed to care about these new characters. Maddie, every-time you kiss a guy doesn't mean you have to have sex!!  A lot of fun is found in the getting to know you, messing around stage :). she is aggressive--and did I miss something, what happened to Deacons  bar?? And yeah, why would I think Scarlett was "weak" to go back to Gunnar?? I honestly dont know how he puts up with her. Ugh just terrible episode!!!

• Love 5

I agree that there was WAY too much Maddie the spoiled brat. There were several things that annoyed me about her storyline this week. First of all, any kind of relationship is a two way street (if it's a one way street then you have a stalker situation like Rayna). If one person says it's not going to happen, RESPECT THEIR DECISION instead of pushing and whining and pouting. If it were the other way around and she had told Clay they couldn't be together but he kept nagging her and randomly showing up, it would be considered creepy and aggressive but because Maddie is doing it, I'm supposed to find it sweet?

Secondly, I loathed the way Maddie described her "relationship" with Clay to Juliette. "Every time" they "take a step forward," this guy "clams up"? Just no. You have known his guy for like TWO DAYS.  He expressed to you his concern that he is (1) much older and she is still 17 which makes having sex illegal* and (2) this is an interracial relationship and you blew off both concerns because you're not the one who could go to jail and you have white privilege on your side. As for her claim to Juliette that Clay was "mean for no reason," again, no. Everything he said was true. You don't know what his life is like because you are a spoiled brat who grew up rich in a big house. How is stating a fact considered being mean for no reason? It's called the truth, Maddie.

On top of that, just because she's 17 doesn't mean that she gets to stay out until all hours of the night or walk out of the house to meet a boy who her parents don't know while being snotty. When I was in high school, I was not allowed to date guys that my parents hadn't met and I certainly wasn't allowed to have that kind of attitude when they asked me about them.

* The age of consent in Tennessee is 18:

39-13-506. Statutory rape.Statute text

(a) Statutory rape is sexual penetration of a victim by the defendant or of the defendant by the victim when the victim is at least thirteen (13) but less than eighteen (18) years of age and the defendant is at least four (4) years older than the victim.

"Sexual penetration" means sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, anal intercourse, or any other intrusion,
however slight, of any part of a person's body or of any object into the genital or anal openings of the alleged
victim's, the defendant's, or any other person's body, but emission of semen is not required.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

On top of that, just because she's 17 doesn't mean that she gets to stay out until all hours of the night or walk out of the house to meet a boy who her parents don't know while being snotty. When I was in high school, I was not allowed to date guys that my parents hadn't met and I certainly wasn't allowed to have that kind of attitude when they asked me about them.

But isn't she still emancipated?  They might not be able to legally to do anything about her social life anymore.

13 minutes ago, LizDC said:

But isn't she still emancipated?  They might not be able to legally to do anything about her social life anymore.

Yes, but they can still impose rules on her. I mean, when a child turns 18, they usually still have to follow the rules of the house, i.e., letting the parents know when you're coming home and answering texts from them, etc. 

So, I ended up watching another show live instead of this one, but I flipped to this show during commercials and saw a lot that got me confused. So after watching the episode in its entirety, I'm still confused.

The whole Scarlett vs Director bit was ridiculous. For all the things that Gunnar and Scarlett's relationship happened to be, he wasn't the biggest issue. I usually like Scarlett as well, but she was ridiculous for believing Damien. Sure, drunk Gunnar gave Damien the wrong view on their relationship so I can't fault Damien for saying the things that he said (even if he was also out of line in doing so for "artistic vision"), but I can see why Gunnar thinks he's the only one who scorned in their messed up relationship. 

I get being angry at him, but being angry at Gunnar? She's not that much better than him, if at all. They got together during a period of Gunnar's grief. He was wrong for getting together with her while he was messed up, but Scarlett was technically more in the right frame of mind. She should have put a stop to it and realized that it was wrong at that time. Sure, Gunnar happened to date women that Scarlett knew and worked with, but it's not like he intentionally went for those women for those reasons. Damien was right in some other things, in artistic vision and in Scarlett needing to let go and just have fun. 

Yeah, Year of the Daphne guys, am I right? In all seriousness, I'm sick and tired of Maddie, I really am. The actress may be trying but I still don't care about her, and especially not her older man. This is why he was right in trying to stop their thing. She's so immature that she just doesn't get it. It's what made it ridiculous that she got an emancipation in the first place. "Every time we take a step forward..." Every time? Girl, it's been barely two times! You've known each other for a few weeks, at best. 

Also, her parents really just let her leave in the middle of the night to go meet a boy? I mean, she was honest so props to her, but her parents allowing her to is just...weird. She's 17 and still under their roof. Plus, they never even met this guy. Come on! Teddy would have at least asked more questions! He may have gotten fooled by the "Going to Talia's" cover, but he was more vigilant about Maddie's safety and she was still fairly young and hadn't really done it before. Man, I miss Teddy.  

Even if Maddie is still emancipated, which I guess she is, Rayna and Deacon should have asked more questions. If she pushes back, then she pushes back. But now they keep tip toeing around her and it's probably going to backfire on them. Maddie should have answered her texts, at the very least. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

The whole Scarlett vs Director bit was ridiculous. For all the things that Gunnar and Scarlett's relationship happened to be, he wasn't the biggest issue. I usually like Scarlett as well, but she was ridiculous for believing Damien. Sure, drunk Gunnar gave Damien the wrong view on their relationship so I can't fault Damien for saying the things that he said (even if he was also out of line in doing so for "artistic vision"), but I can see why Gunnar thinks he's the only one who scorned in their messed up relationship. 

Gunnar said there was a girl on the tour. He didn't say he had a harem of roadies after every show. How that got construed into him sleeping with half of Nashville was ridiculous. Scarlett is just miserable. Plain and simple. Has she ever enjoyed this relationship AT ALL after 501? They've never ever been shown happy since they got together. At this point I'm not sure why Gunnar is even trying. 

And it can never be said enough: There was too much Maddie in this episode. They need to never ever ever do that again. 

We went through all those stages of Maddie and Clay's "relationship" and yet Avery was nowhere to be found and there was nothing to be seen of the Javery after-sex happiness. Bad move, writers.

• Love 7

They are probably cutting costs after the move to CMT. Actors are usually paid per episode that they appear in, so if Avery isn't in the episode they don't have to pay the actor. Maddie wasn't in last week's episode if I remember correctly. So basically some actors are going to miss some episodes and in order to still get their storylines they'll have to get more screentime when they are in an episode.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

Maddie wasn't in last week's episode if I remember correctly. 

Yes she was, from last week's episode description "Maddie begins an internship at a recording studio". Maddie has been in every episode so far, her & all her teenage angst.

• Love 1

What on earth was that? Gunnar "cheated" on Scarlett and she kept taking him back? I'm going to need citations because I have no memory of that. And woman, just do the damn video. It's fiction, it's acting, you're not playing yourself.

It was really hard to know who to root for in this episode. Daphne! That's what I got out of it.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, GaT said:

Yes she was, from last week's episode description "Maddie begins an internship at a recording studio". Maddie has been in every episode so far, her & all her teenage angst.

Actually that episode was two weeks ago. Last week was the one where Will and Kevin broke up. Maddie wasn't in it, nor was she in episode 502. Thank goodness.

9 minutes ago, CrystalMoon said:

Actually that episode was two weeks ago. Last week was the one where Will and Kevin broke up. Maddie wasn't in it, nor was she in episode 502. Thank goodness.

Ahh, my mistake, it just feels like she's in every episode.

• Love 7

Oh my GOD Maddie get over it! When the person your dating says they don't want to have sex, don't push it! Its creepy and makes you come off as REALLY messed up. What past relationships has Maddie had where she feels like its weird not to start having sex after date number one, especially with an older person? She is not even close to mature enough to be with a person who is clearly going through some stuff. And, speaking of, are we going to get a whole long drawn out storyline where Maddie's new guy wont take his meds? Because I guess it would be boring to have a character with a mental illness just be like "Yeah, I'm bipolar, I take my meds, and I have bad days from time to time, but I'm alright" like most of the people I have known. More time for Maddie angst I guess. Oh. Great. She's immature even for a 17 teen year old, she has no business dealing with issues bigger than "my mom wont let me change my music label!".

Speaking of whiners, Scarlett needs to get a therapy session that has nothing to do with music videos. She has never been the most emotionally stable person, but this week she came off as less delicate and more annoying. Just do the damn music video! Your an artist! If she doesn't want to let any of her issues out, she should have picked a career other than "folksy singer/song writer" and just lived a quiet life writing for fun. And normally I like Scarlett, but she was insufferable here. And I have no idea what relationship they seem to be talking about here, but it doesn't sound like Gunnar and Scarlett. Since when has Gunnar slept with half of Nashville? Since when is Scarlett doing some Stand By Your Man thing? I don't get it.

And...that was about it. Looks like Rayna's stalker is just some random creeper, Nashville is still filled with violent redneck assholes, and Will is still a dude magnet. That's all that we got this week.

• Love 5

Scarlett and Maddie were both just so immature and exhausting.  I don't know why Gunner talked about Scarlett being selfless as it seems like it has pretty consistently been all about her.  I'm actually surprised that Rayna keeps investing in Scarlett (and Gunner) as Scarlett has already cost Highway 65 quite a bit of money-breakdown on tour (and having to get a replacement), fired from Autumn's tour, etc. etc.  Far too 'delicate' to tour and make videos...

Loved the Deacon and Rayna scenes.

• Love 2

"Call 911!" C'MON Rayna! Pick up a phone and do it yourself! Geez! Will got scene! Yay! Surprisingly, guyliner makes Gunnar completely unattractive. Who knew? I don't care about Maddie. AND I don't care about Scarlett. Not a good episode for me.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

* The age of consent in Tennessee is 18:

But since Maddie was emancipated (and I don't think her moving back home undoes that legally), does age of consent still apply? She is a legal adult in the eyes of the law. If she can now legally live on her own and sign business deals, she should be able to consent to sex with someone over 18.

I'm no lawyer, that just seems logical to me.

• Love 2

I love you all!  I was sick of the "Maddie Show" too. If she could act, it might help. But it's not interesting and I wound up skipping most of her scenes. 

The Great Gatsby remake with Scarlett and Gunnar was annoying too. 

Willing to bet the guy tossed out of Highway 65's office wasn't the stalker. I think he was the one trying to give Rayna a demo tape a few episodes ago. 

Worst episode of the new season for me. I don't tune in and send Hulu money just to watch bratty teen and better storylines go on the back burner.

• Love 5

Does Parenthood get residuals for this. This while storyline with Maddie is ripping off the storyline they has going with Michael b Jordan.

Black man, white female teenager

Met while working.

Has a issue that causes him to want to keep her at a distance.  Recovering alcoholic vs bi-polar disorder.

Both of the black men come off like saints while the girls come off like brats. 

The girl in the scenario is the aggressor.

When the parents rightfully have reservation with their daughter in high school dating and grown as man. A man with a issue he is dealing with as well, the daughter accuses them of racism based on the previews.

The only thing different right now is that Maddie isnt a virgin and his job. 

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

Does Parenthood get residuals for this. This while storyline with Maddie is ripping off the storyline they has going with Michael b Jordan.

Black man, white female teenager

Met while working.

Has a issue that causes him to want to keep her at a distance.  Recovering alcoholic vs bi-polar disorder.

Both of the black men come off like saints while the girls come off like brats. 

The girl in the scenario is the aggressor.

When the parents rightfully have reservation with their daughter in high school dating and grown as man. A man with a issue he is dealing with as well, the daughter accuses them of racism based on the previews.

Oh yeah... I thought it was just the sucky writing that made it seem so tired and familiar... but now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember that who storyline from back when I briefly watched Parenthood.   Thanks for reminding me.

I usually end most episodes thinking Maddie is the worst.  This time it's, Maddie and Scarlett are the worst!!

Was the guy in the office the same guy that stopped Rayna and Bucky (or was it Deacon?) on the street for her autograph, and then got weirdly familiar about Maddie being home?

• Love 2

Are we supposed to get some take away from Will's scene with that Silicon Valley guy, Zach?

It seemed business stuff with the phone number thing, but it vaguely gave me gay vibes with the "take his phone, put in your number" thing and the whole like "call me anytime" type of thing.

I know there's been no official stating of the character's sexuality, but we know he's idolized Rayna since a child and I'm not aware of too many straight men who idol female country singers like that.

Edited by PBGamer89

Let's see...

Randall NOT being Rayna's stalker was a nice red herring.

Many prime-time and daytime soaps have shown privileged rich kids with issues that were complex and interesting. Maddie isn't one of them.

And if Clay is just their attempt at trying to make Maddie interesting, well, that's a fail. Not to mention, she's too selfish, and socially tone-deaf to put the work into any type of long-term relationship with him, class, race, and mental illness aren't just going to cease to exist because Little Miss Rich Girl has a crush or wants to jump into bed.

I'm really weirded out that Damian abused and harassed Scarlett the entire episode and the general consensus here is that she was "annoying", "being a bitch" and "weak". You can't be an abusive asshole to your subordinates, and excuse it with "but I'm an artist!". Even more bizzare, Gunnar is supposed to care about her, but failed to back her up until the very end of the project, and even then, just invalidated her feelings over it. That whole video was a mind****.

Also, is it just me, or did the song not match the video? The song screamed romantic and tender, the video screamed "Fifty Shades", domestic abuse and BDSM included.

I want more Avery, but that's not happening, is it? :(

• Love 14
9 hours ago, PBGamer89 said:

Are we supposed to get some take away from Will's scene with that Silicon Valley guy, Zach?

It seemed business stuff with the phone number thing, but it vaguely gave me gay vibes with the "take his phone, put in your number" thing and the whole like "call me anytime" type of thing.

I know there's been no official stating of the character's sexuality, but we know he's idolized Rayna since a child and I'm not aware of too many straight men who idol female country singers like that.

I definitely got vibes that Zach was into Will. I do think they're setting up a romantic story there, which is good because it's better than Fashion Designer Guy. 

Zach could be gay and just idolized Rayna from a musical point of view, or he could be bisexual. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, RealFantasies said:

I'm really weirded out that Damian abused and harassed Scarlett the entire episode and the general consensus here is that she was "annoying", "being a bitch" and "weak". You can't be an abusive asshole to your subordinates, and excuse it with "but I'm an artist!". Even more bizzare, Gunnar is supposed to care about her, but failed to back her up until the very end of the project, and even then, just invalidated her feelings over it. That whole video was a mind****.

Also, is it just me, or did the song not match the video? The song screamed romantic and tender, the video screamed "Fifty Shades", domestic abuse and BDSM included.

I want more Avery, but that's not happening, is it? :(

Scarlett is miserable. She's been miserable in the few scenes we've seen her in ever since 501. We haven't had one single scene of them happy since the premiere. It's 505 and I'm not sure why they're dating or a couple or however they would label it. I'm saying she is miserable and sad in the context of their relationship.

Damien was terribly abusive and it was unbelievable that she would continue to shoot and that Gunnar would have waited until the very last moment to tell Damien to stop (coincidentally when his name came up). 

The video didn't match the song at all and doesn't appear to be a country music video in the least. The whole thing was not only a mindfuck but a mismatch to their style of music. It's ridiculous.

I also want more Avery. And much less Maddie. Guess we'll see.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, RealFantasies said:

For me, Damien was definitely in the wrong and was it Zach who told Rayna to let Damien do what he wanted? Either way, I got bad vibes about that since Rayna was right in questioning Damien's methods. Gunnar was just as wrong to dismiss his behaviour and not stand up for Scarlett either. It was a whole slew of messes. But I also was annoyed with Scarlett mostly because of the context of why she eventually got angry and did well for the video. It seems like this season, Scarlett is the wronged party and Gunnar's the Devil Incarnate or something. They keep saying that he's done all these bad things and he's the worst boyfriend. Sure, I agreed with Scarlett a few episodes ago when she pointed out Gunnar's love interests being close to Scarlett in some way. But this episode really made it seem like Gunnar cheated on Scarlett, lied to her multiple times, and did her wrong while she is the victim and nothing more. They also wrote Gunnar to be an idiot and submissive to the abuse this episode, which is definitely odd because I think he would have stood up to Damien for her if the episode wasn't trying to make a point about him. See the scene where he comes in drunk after his night out with Damien. 

I'm not really on Damien's side at all. Trust me, I didn't want to waste the space talking about him and how he was wrong and should have been told otherwise. No matter how good his music videos end up being, being an abusive asshole is not the way to go.

• Love 2

did I miss something, what happened to Deacons  bar?

This! I thought maybe I'd blocked out how that whole partnership fiasco played out. That maybe the bar burned down and I forgot. But no, he does still own a bar, right? So why the hell is Deacon home all the time now and never at his new business?!!!

Also, I do think the director was abusive and awful, but if Scarlet had just done what she was told it never would've escalated. He wants you to act the femme fatale in this video, just do it. Either that or she and Gunnar should've had a talk with someone at Hwy 66 to begin with about what THEIR vision of the video was. It definitely didn't reflect the lyrics or tone of the song At All. If they wanted a sunnier video, they had a right to put in their suggestions--early on, but once filming is started, its the director's vision so the actors must roll with it.

• Love 2

On the plus side, Layla is gone. 

On the negative side, Maddie and Scarlett. 

Scarlett's expressions when the director was yelling at her were laughably caricature-istic. The concept of the video was ridiculous and smutty. In the real world, I don't know that it would help sell the record. 

• Love 2
On January 27, 2017 at 10:56 PM, AnnaRose said:

Was the guy in the office the same guy that stopped Rayna and Bucky (or was it Deacon?) on the street for her autograph, and then got weirdly familiar about Maddie being home?

AnnaRose, I thought it might be the same guy, too. I've already deleted those episodes, or else I'd go back and check. Anyone?

• Love 1

Either that or she and Gunnar should've had a talk with someone at Hwy 66 to begin with about what THEIR vision of the video was. It definitely didn't reflect the lyrics or tone of the song At All. If they wanted a sunnier video, they had a right to put in their suggestions--early on, but once filming is started, its the director's vision so the actors must roll with it.

So, this.  If you don’t like the idea, the time to offer an alternative or strike it down is in the planning stages, not when money, effort and time have been spent on costumes, crew, set, props, etc.  That’s like hiring a wedding planner to do your wedding, providing no input, then stopping the wedding mid-way through and having a melt-down because you don’t like the flowers.   Yes, the director was an abusive ass-hat but Scarlett was acting like a diva and a child.  She didn’t even try to offer alternatives, just “no, I’m not doing that and how dare you ask me to.”  She wasn't even trying to make the situation better or work with him, she just stamped her foot and burned with resentment at the director and Gunnar (apparently for not agreeing with her, though he did offer to walk off if that's what she wanted).

The only time I can ever stand Scarlett is when she’s with Deacon, then she seems like an actual, real, relate-able person.  The rest of the time she’s rigid, judgmental and selfish but hides behind this aura of being fragile, sensitive and “nice” as a way of making people do what she wants either by coddling her (Rayna) or walking on eggshells to avoid setting her off (Gunnar).  If she doesn’t get her way she throws a fit or goes passive-aggressive silent treatment.  She’s just exhausting and is starting to go down the road of being (emotionally) abusive to Gunner. 

He’s not the bad guy she has made him out to be and made him believe himself to be.  All she can think about is how he hurt her by dating others after she dumped him and hasn’t really given much thought (beyond the glimpse we saw last week) with how much she has hurt him.  She makes him the source of all their problems and is buying into his vision of her as a “saint”.  She ain’t a saint and really needs someone to call her on her shit the way she does with Deacon.

I agree with others that this episode had too much Maddie and I really don’t care about her budding relationship with someone she is way too immature to be with.  Her description of the “relationship” to Juliette had no basis in reality, but the advice Juliette gave her was spot on (based on the facts presented).  I love with Juliette gives Maddie advice because she gives her such good counsel.  Too bad Maddie never takes it.

• Love 3

I thought the video was ridiculous and certainly didn't fit the song at all, but I also thought the way Scarlett was behaving, as if she was simply unable to act in a way that she would not behave in real life, was silly, too.  The director, who treated Scarlett badly, seemed to me to simply be doing whatever he could to get the performance out of Scarlett that was needed.  She was too busy telling him what she couldn't do, instead of just trying to do it.  He was manipulating her, but I think all art is manipulative in a way.  The artist is trying to get the viewer to feel a certain way and uses his medium to elicit that feeling.  It's somewhat similar to first season Juliette who wouldn't let the session musicians leave the studio after an all night recording session because she was the boss and they hadn't gotten the right take yet.  

The Maddie/Clay story did not play out like I thought it would.  From previews I thought Clay had overdosed and that Maddie would be dealing with that issue.  I don't think many 17 year olds have the maturity to handle the complexities of a new, first relationship and mental illness and the storytellers have not tried to show Maddie has having that kind of maturity. 

House-husband Deacon is not the way I want to see that character. Has he suddenly lost his ability to play the guitar?  Solo career not going anywhere?  Can we at least get a shot of a drive-by of the old "Beverly" with a "Closed" sign on it?  

There is a difference. In the Juliette case, Juliette was indeed the boss and she was trying to get the sound *she* wanted. In the Scarlett case, a director with apparently little feel for her or her music was trying to bully her into giving the performance *he* wanted. He is not the main artist here - she and Gunnar are. What I thought was bizarre was how passive Gunnar was in the whole thing. It's their song, it's their careers, and it's their video.

But the whole thing is ridiculous anyway, because I'm sure when someone shoots a video like that they have storyboards and a script and it's all reviewed by the record company producer, the artists, and the director and it's all agreed beforehand. I can't believe it's ever done this way with a director being an "artistic" jackass who refuses to tell the musicians what effect he's actually trying to achieve.

seewillrun: all art is manipulative, but there's a difference between the artist manipulating the audience, which is what that phrase suggests, and a director manipulating a cast member. This was, to my taste, abusive.

• Love 2

The only thing that has me holding back on the abuse label is the fact that every cast member that was doing what they were supposed to do was being treated fine.  The video reminded me of old late 80's videos that were lauded for being "artistic".  Also, in a video I think of the director as the artist.  When a music artist signs up for a video (especially if one is not really famous yet) or when an author allows their book to be made into a movie, the artist is passing the control on to someone else.  Now I can think that Scarlett, after living with a control freak narcissist during her childhood, would be almost unable to let someone else have any kind of control over her... which would have been interesting to see.  Maybe I'm slow and should have picked up on that during the show.  I found those scenes not fun to watch and was waiting for it to be over as quickly as possible.

• Love 1
On Wednesday, February 01, 2017 at 9:38 AM, seewillrun said:

The only thing that has me holding back on the abuse label is the fact that every cast member that was doing what they were supposed to do was being treated fine.

I really hope everyone here realizes that your boss (or anyone, for that matter) doesn't have the right to bully, scream at you, or throw shit just because you're not doing what they want you to do. This is, like, the sixth time I've seen this comment in reference to this s/l, and it's honestly freaking me out.

Edited by RealFantasies
  • Love 2