Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: FFwSB

• Start Topic

Hee, @StatMom! Shorter Renee response: "Sam uses profanity, which makes her a poopyhead from Hollywood." Even though a) she's right; and b) she's from NY (via Canada). And in true southern fashion, "But I appreciate her!" I was waiting for a 'bless her heart' to top it all off.

• Love 6

I noticed after the opening Trump segment was a commercial for Tic Tacs. Since it's not their fault, I try not to associate those mints with Trump, but it's hard not to do when it follows right after a story on Trump.

I consider them sponsoring this show to be a form of apology for being associated with the pussy-grabbing quote. It makes me like them, like they realize what a bad thing it is, and they are now giving money to a show that respects women, to rehabilitate their image and also fund resistance.

• Love 3

Yup. Sam and her staff can be added to the long list of feminist writers/media who were screaming about all the shit going down before the election, only to have to listen to white male pundits now saying, "We didn't know. Why didn't anyone tell us?"

I want to scream in a pillow too. Well done, show.

• Love 12

It's so painful to watch Sam Bee sometimes. The fact that she told us about the Russia thing in October, and her statement "if you wanted a progressive feminist in the White House, you should have voted for one" . . . it just makes me want to cry and cry all over again.

By the way, Tic Tacs denounced the whole pussy grabbing incident on Twitter back when it first came out. 

• Love 11
20 hours ago, marina to said:

Yup. Sam and her staff can be added to the long list of feminist writers/media who were screaming about all the shit going down before the election, only to have to listen to white male pundits now saying, "We didn't know. Why didn't anyone tell us?"

I want to scream in a pillow too. Well done, show.

Exactly! Although, instead of a pillow, I wished Samantha would have spittle screamed into the faces of James Comey and Chuck Todd.

• Love 3

I understand the complications and controversy behind NJ smart gun law but I was really annoyed by the piece that made it seem like this one woman was the only reason that it was a law and that she alone had the power to repeal it.

Thank you so much for posting those, @Kromm. Outstanding work by Sam and her team. It was all great, but I especially loved the cold open (CJ Cregg!), Part 2 (where Sam and her correspondents give credit to journalists who are doing a good job despite the obstacles, and then Sam slams Jeff Zucker for what he has turned CNN into), Part 3 (What Is Facts! Cats! Steve Buscemi!) and Part 8 (what could have been ... sigh).

I hope this special wins all the awards.

• Love 7

I loved Will Ferrell coming back as Bush. "How do you like me now" indeed.

That alternate timeline...ugh, that hurt. Didn't we almost have it all....

52 minutes ago, Kromm said:

It was certainly far funnier than the actual Correspondents' Dinner. I've liked Hasan Minhaj in the past, but his jokes were really weak this time.

Yeah that was unfortunate, though he did have some good ones. While it was good to see Carl Bernstein, I raised my eyebrow when Bob Woodward giving his own speech about "human connections" and "objectivity", something his post Watergate work severely lacked. You still have Wired to answer for!

• Love 2

Thank goodness for my DVR because I had completely forgotten about the special, but thank you, Kromm, for providing the backup. :)

This was really good. I love that the emphasis was on good journalism rather than on bashing Trump. Loved the huge applause Teen Vogue got. I still don't understand how that mag got into investigative journalism, but hurrah for them.

I only watched the first ep of Man In The High Castle, but that was enough for me to get the reference in the alternate history segment with George Takei. So funny when he's taken and you can hear "Oh my."

• Love 6

SB and her team benefited from the fact that their format was not as constrained and formal as the real dinner. It afforded them more diversity, creativity, and relevance than the other event. It was even more nuanced at times; for example, Hasan Minhaj lost me when he declared that "only in America can a first generation Indian American Muslim kid get on this stage and make fun of the President". In many other western countries freedom of expression and of the press also allows for regular criticisim of the leaders. Up here in Canada our politicians, including Justin Trudeau, are satirized and made fun of every week, in both official languages and by people from all origins and sexual identities; it even takes place on the CBC/Radio Canada, networks funded by the taxpayers. Of course, he mentioned an "American kid", so stricto sensu his overreaching was not totally wrong.

Getting back to SB, it's difficult to choose a favourite segment, but the President Pence one was particularly pointed in a weekend which sees the premiere of a new TV adaptation of The Handmaid's Tale.  The CJ cold opening was heart-warmingly nostalgic. The only part I disliked was the first musical number which went on for far too long; the sound was grating and the lyrics too repetitive to sustain such a long version.

I am not sure if they intend to make it an annual event. If they do, even scaled back to one hour or less because of the ratings or budgetary factors, it may well become a much more enjoyable tradition than the official event.

ETA: Another wonderful bit was the evisceration of Jeff Zucker. All the more delicious because TBS is owned by Time Warner, just as CNN.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 3

I really liked it more than I thought I would.  I loved the fact that it recognized the importance of journalism, and the difficult conditions facing journalists today, especially here in the US of A.  It worked on so many levels - humor, but also serious issues. 

I have to admit that my favorite moment was the George Takei "oh my" in the Man in the High Castle bit.  This shows how everything is better with George T.

• Love 1

The alternate timeline made me cry. The look on Sam's face as she's watching Hillary get sworn in, etc. . . . *sobs* I have imagined the alternative scenarios so many times. The Man in the High Castle comparison was on point.

• Love 15

The more I think on it, the more I love the attack piece on CNN. They deserve every bit of that.

Fox News got so much of this country in their hands in part because CNN started playing the same kind of game in opposition to them. Sure they have the cloak of news, and the reality of using facts, but they became lazy, stupid, smug, and the bit about putting a string of assholes in little boxes arguing bullshit with each other, instead of actually reporting news? Dead on. Report news, you shitheads. Leave the punditry to Fucks News. And bury Jeffrey Lord in the deepest grave possible. Put a stake through his heart first. The fact that you PAY this man to fuck up your channel should shame you to the bottom of your souls.

Thank god the newspapers are having a resurgence. We certainly can't count on CNN.

• Love 16

It was a great show.  Cold open with CJ, Peaches "outfit", the flashbacks of prior correspondents dinners (and one potential future one), the High Castle what could have been (SOB!!!), the bits on CNN (so good!), Bush is back (lol, that was funny - and unfortunately so right - we sure miss Bush compared to trump), the Gone too Late bit (yup).  It was all very good.

• Love 2
On 01/05/2017 at 3:06 AM, Kromm said:

Sure they have the cloak of news, and the reality of using facts, but they became lazy, stupid, smug, and the bit about putting a string of assholes in little boxes arguing bullshit with each other, instead of actually reporting news? Dead on. Report news, you shitheads. Leave the punditry to Fucks News. And bury Jeffrey Lord in the deepest grave possible. Put a stake through his heart first. The fact that you PAY this man to fuck up your channel should shame you to the bottom of your soul

The only time I ever seem to watch CNN is on the exercise bike at the gym and it is amazing how everything either seems to be assholes in boxes arguing or "BREAKING NEWS" (even whe  it is stuff that is not at all breaking). So itbwas good to see them heavily mocked.

Also loved that dinners through the years and how Sam started out as Mrs. Jason Jones in the first one.

• Love 2

I'm not hating Ivanka Trump for quoting Meatwad. He was the most inspirational member of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. He's Meatwad. He's a meat blob. He's an igloo. Or a hot dog.

Damn, Sam comes back, lights fools up, and she's not coming back for three weeks? Damn. I know she needs rest, and her faux dinner probably was a chore, but we need her. Why can't she let her correspondents run the show for a week? Is Jason doing anything these days? Plug his butt in.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm not hating Ivanka Trump for quoting Meatwad. He was the most inspirational member of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. He's Meatwad. He's a meat blob. He's an igloo. Or a hot dog.

Damn, Sam comes back, lights fools up, and she's not coming back for three weeks? Damn. I know she needs rest, and her faux dinner probably was a chore, but we need her. Why can't she let her correspondents run the show for a week? Is Jason doing anything these days? Plug his butt in.

Thank you!!!That is exactly what I was coming here to say.  I love Sam and how she tells things from a woman's point of view and speaks out for so many of us, but going 3 weeks with nothing new, then the correspondent dinner followed by another 2 weeks of reruns to get to tonight, only too find out another 3 weeks till another new one..aaahhhh.

I often forget it's on, and I'm afraid it is losing viewers.  The last few weeks has given so much material.  I mean no disrespect and I think Sam and her writers are first rate, but she is on only once a week!  I know they could easily put together a great show in a week. Now daily show, Seth meyers, colbert are nightly so if they have a weak episode I understand, but if you make me wait 3 weeks and have a weak episode I feel letdown and cheated.

Come on Sam, in the age of trump and an all male group of senators deciding health care for women we need you more than ever.

• Love 2

After watching the Daily Show reunion on Colbert, I wished each alum could have a thirty minute show once a week on a broadcast station but with no limitations on language, etc. Jon Oliver has Sundays. Sam has Wednesdays. I guess Trevor Noah could keep one night...

• Love 1

Loved calling Ivanka "the human tooth whitening strip." No, Ivanka isn't that smart, after all, as clip after clip of her "word salad" shows. Architecting? 

I mean no disrespect and I think Sam and her writers are first rate, but she is on only once a week!  I know they could easily put together a great show in a week.

I suspect that has more to do with TBS than Sam and her staff. The network is who decides the scheduling. I imagine her show is renewed in cycles of X number of episodes, and then TBS decides to spread them out over X number of months rather than running them continuously week after week until the order is up. Broadcast networks do the same with scripted shows.

• Love 4
(edited)

Actually, I do think she's that smart. She deliberately is just saying a ton of words and let people imprint their thoughts on it. She's a way better con than her father. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

I liked the piece on Florida voting rights. When I did canvassing in Florida for the Clinton campaign, it seemed like half the guys we met couldn't vote due to felony convictions. Now I see why! It's such a travesty.

• Love 2
(edited)

And many can't move to another state with more lenient laws either because their parole requires them to stay in state.  Many people wouldn't move also because of family, who may be helping support them if they have problems finding a job (another difficulty ex felons have).

It's another reason why it's annoying for congress to foist off so many services to state governments, telling people to just move or vote in different people if they don't like the state's decision on something. Some things should be equal to all people no matter which state they live in.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 6

That was a great show. The whole opening about covfefe was hilarious. I hadn't seen anything about this yesterday, but this morning when I opened Twitter I saw so many people making fun of it. "This is what happens when you abstain from your phone for 9 days: You ejaculate just like that... Uhhhh COVFEFE!"

Loved Sam showing Mad Max: Fury Road clips and equating them to Trump & staff was great.

The audio clip of Ivanka reading her next book after Jared is in jail was wonderful.

Wait Wait Don't Kill Me. Hee.

I liked the John Dean interview, but I don't think the audience knew Dick Cavett or what he was about.

I heard part of Fresh Air the other day when Al Franken was the guest. I wish I could have listened to the whole thing. I might have to check it out online. Anyway, the bit he did with Sam was good. My DVR cut off right at the end -- He laughed heartily, then Sam stared at him in horror, then he was about to say something, then... What was next?

• Love 4

I thought it was a great show tonight, too.

First act was a cathartic rage tornado.

I appreciated her calling out the re-election of the east coast thug, and pointing out that this shit did not really start with Trump. If we weren't a nation pre-disposed to this kind of thing, Trump never would have been elected.

Franken + Bee is a great act. They should do it again sometime. He's been making the rounds promoting his book, and this was the most fun of all the interviews I've seen him do so far. I'm glad he's able to be funny again.

I also missed the end. They re-air it later in the week and it might also be on the TBS website.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

That was a great show. The whole opening about covfefe was hilarious. I hadn't seen anything about this yesterday, but this morning when I opened Twitter I saw so many people making fun of it. "This is what happens when you abstain from your phone for 9 days: You ejaculate just like that... Uhhhh COVFEFE!"

Loved Sam showing Mad Max: Fury Road clips and equating them to Trump & staff was great.

The audio clip of Ivanka reading her next book after Jared is in jail was wonderful.

Wait Wait Don't Kill Me. Hee.

I agree that it was a great show. This was one of the weeks where it really felt like the heir to Jon Stewart's Daily Show as far as the combination of silliness and serious points and the combination of words and graphics/video.

I liked the John Dean interview, but I don't think the audience knew Dick Cavett or what he was about.

Yeah. I've always loved Sam's sense of history on this show and her willingness to do these sorts of jokes. Even if "the demo" doesn't necessarily get it. Plus I believe as a Variety Talk series that they are required to eventually have Dick Cavett appear.

I heard part of Fresh Air the other day when Al Franken was the guest. I wish I could have listened to the whole thing. I might have to check it out online. Anyway, the bit he did with Sam was good. My DVR cut off right at the end -- He laughed heartily, then Sam stared at him in horror, then he was about to say something, then... What was next?

Loved this too. And my DVR cut off too. It's very annoying and you would think that they could figure it out. Even if it drives online views, it accelerates the death of cable which they are trying to forestall and when they cut off the end they usually cut off the promos too, so it's probably a wash or a loss.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

My DVR cut off right at the end -- He laughed heartily, then Sam stared at him in horror, then he was about to say something, then... What was next?

Responding to her "it looks like such fun for a woman", he laughed and said "...Noo. No."  And then cut to Sam's goodbye, and then smash cut to the greatest Cruz clip of all:  Why am I so persecuted!?!?? And then Conan.

• Love 3